PDA

View Full Version : Alouettes sign DE Sam

Neely2005
05-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Alouettes sign DE Sam:

http://www.tsn.ca/alouettes-sign-de-sam-1.288843

Argo
05-22-2015, 11:51 AM
A much better than good signing. Sam is an athlete, and better-suited to the CFL, as apposed to the NFL, game.

1argoholic
05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Smart move by the Als. This guy can play and really didn't get a fair shake down south. No surprise there. I hope he brings his great talent to our league and does well but just not against us. He was fun to watch as a college player. I know he can play. He could be a tackling machine in the CFL.

jerrym
05-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Glad to see the league and Montreal show the open attitude it has displayed in the past with the signing of Herb Trawick (the first Black CFL player), Warren Moon and many others.

Rich
05-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Attendance just increased by at least 5,000 for Montreal's next visit to the Skydome.

Will
05-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Attendance just increased by at least 5,000 for Montreal's next visit to the Skydome.

Who will these 5,000 people be cheering for?

ArgoGabe22
05-23-2015, 09:59 AM
I think he would do better as an outside LB than a DE in the CFL.

AngeloV
05-23-2015, 03:42 PM
I think he would do better as an outside LB than a DE in the CFL.

Only if he plays in a 3-4 and is used strictly as a blitzing LB. Everything I've read about him says that he is a straight out pass rusher. His 40 time was also only so so for a LB. Good for DE.

zontar
05-24-2015, 10:30 AM
A signing to take the media and PR stink off Mitchell tweet ?

ArgoRavi
05-24-2015, 01:16 PM

Considering that they have been pursuing Sam for months, I doubt it.

Will
05-24-2015, 04:38 PM

I think the stink of the Mitchell tweet had worn off.

Rich
05-25-2015, 12:15 AM
Who will these 5,000 people be cheering for?

Judy Garland.

OV Argo
05-27-2015, 12:07 AM
Talented college ball player for sure - didn't pan-out in the NFL, but lots of those types do well in the CFL (just like lots don't) - we shall see; Popp like his big-name ex-NFL or NCAA star signings (just like Barker and plenty of other CFL decision makers) - maybe hoping for some PR and to help with attendance - how did Chad Ochosuperstar pan-out last year? CFL teams not afraid to sign these guys - with often little long-term results : let's sign Ricky Williams and watch him dominate the CFL, or use a roster spot and playing time on a washed-up clown like Andre Rison. Is what it is with the CFL at times, but kinda sad or pathetic at times too IMO.

Argo57
05-27-2015, 05:11 AM
Talented college ball player for sure - didn't pan-out in the NFL, but lots of those types do well in the CFL (just like lots don't) - we shall see; Popp like his big-name ex-NFL or NCAA star signings (just like Barker and plenty of other CFL decision makers) - maybe hoping for some PR and to help with attendance - how did Chad Ochosuperstar pan-out last year? CFL teams not afraid to sign these guys - with often little long-term results : let's sign Ricky Williams and watch him dominate the CFL, or use a roster spot and playing time on a washed-up clown like Andre Rison. Is what it is with the CFL at times, but kinda sad or pathetic at times too IMO.

With all the fanfare involved with this signing the Alouettes seem to be guaranteeing Sam a roster spot this season.
As with any other big U.S college signing you don't know how he will react to the nuances of our game, what happens if other prospects outplay Sam in training camp do they simply cut him?
Perhaps a more low key approach might have been advised.

Argocister
05-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Although Sam may or may to make the team, I don't begrudge Popp for signing these type of guys. It brings media attention and keeps the Als in the news. And if he makes the team , better for the Als.
I wonder if there would be similar attention within the Toronto media if Sam .... Or Ochocinco .... Came here. ....naw probably not.

ArgoRavi
05-27-2015, 10:11 AM
With all the fanfare involved with this signing the Alouettes seem to be guaranteeing Sam a roster spot this season.
As with any other big U.S college signing you don't know how he will react to the nuances of our game, what happens if other prospects outplay Sam in training camp do they simply cut him?
Perhaps a more low key approach might have been advised.

You can't sign Michael Sam and have it be "low key". That simply is not possible IMO.

With Sam, they are getting a player who seems to be tailor-made for the Canadian game. There are no guarantees with him as there are none with any player but he has the potential to be an excellent rush end up here.

Argo57
05-27-2015, 06:28 PM
You can't sign Michael Sam and have it be "low key". That simply is not possible IMO.

With Sam, they are getting a player who seems to be tailor-made for the Canadian game. There are no guarantees with him as there are none with any player but he has the potential to be an excellent rush end up here.

As a football player he is no different than any other college signing, held a press conference like they had just signed Lawrence Taylor, expectations will be high to say the least!
Ultimately all that matters is how he plays, big fanfare when he was drafted in the NFL then interest quickly dwindled as he got cut.

argolio
05-27-2015, 11:54 PM
interest quickly dwindled as he got cut.Not that quickly. There were quite a few stories on U.S. sites about Sam signing with the Als.

T-Bone
06-12-2015, 04:21 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="fr" dir="ltr">Michael Sam a quitté le camp d&#39;entraînement des Alouettes. / Michael Sam has left the Alouettes&#39; training camp. <a href="https://twitter.com/LCFca">@LCFca</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Didier Orméjuste (@DidierRDS) <a href="https://twitter.com/DidierRDS/status/609453166569127937">June 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

argonaut11xx
06-12-2015, 04:26 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="fr" dir="ltr">Michael Sam a quitté le camp d'entraînement des Alouettes. / Michael Sam has left the Alouettes' training camp. <a href="https://twitter.com/LCFca">@LCFca</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>— Didier Orméjuste (@DidierRDS) <a href="https://twitter.com/DidierRDS/status/609453166569127937">June 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

Didier Ormejuste of RDS reported the news on Twitter. It's not yet known the reason for Sam's departure.
The defensive end was expected to miss the Alouettes' preseason opener against the Ottawa Redblacks on Saturday night due to illness.
Alouettes head coach Tom Higgins hadn't ruled Sam out for Saturday's contest Friday, but added the team would not risk playing him sick.
"I'm not sure what his status is health wise," Higgins said Friday. "We wouldn't want to put him out there if he's under the weather, but we'll wait and see"
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

T-Bone
06-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Didier Ormejuste of RDS reported the news on Twitter. It's not yet known the reason for Sam's departure.
The defensive end was expected to miss the Alouettes' preseason opener against the Ottawa Redblacks on Saturday night due to illness.
Alouettes head coach Tom Higgins hadn't ruled Sam out for Saturday's contest Friday, but added the team would not risk playing him sick.
"I'm not sure what his status is health wise," Higgins said Friday. "We wouldn't want to put him out there if he's under the weather, but we'll wait and see"
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>
http://www.tsn.ca/report-sam-leaves-als-training-camp-1.306592

argonaut11xx
06-13-2015, 12:44 PM
They talked about Sam leaving during halftime of last nights game.

Basically, Sam just isnt good enough to play in the CFL

ArgoRavi
06-13-2015, 02:17 PM
They talked about Sam leaving during halftime of last nights game.

Basically, Sam just isnt good enough to play in the CFL

Until we know why he left, I don't think anyone can make any conclusions on that yet. Jim Popp is still hopeful that Sam will be back soon.

argonaut11xx
06-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Until we know why he left, I don't think anyone can make any conclusions on that yet. Jim Popp is still hopeful that Sam will be back soon.

I'll take what Milt Stegall, Chris Shultz, and the reporter from AL's camp had to say at face value....summed up, Mr Sam was in over his head.

Argo57
06-13-2015, 07:11 PM
I'll take what Milt Stegall, Chris Shultz, and the reporter from AL's camp had to say at face value....summed up, Mr Sam was in over his head.

As I thought when he was signed, all the hype means SFA if the guy hasn't got the talent to play in the league, add Sam to the list of big U.S. college players who got a rude awakening regarding the talent level in our little Podunk Canadian league!

argonaut11xx
06-13-2015, 07:32 PM
As I thought when he was signed, all the hype means SFA if the guy hasn't got the talent to play in the league, add Sam to the list of big U.S. college players who got a rude awakening regarding the talent level in our little Podunk Canadian league!

Agreed...his celebrity was far beyond his talent level. A 5 second forty???...i'd be close to that at nearly 50 yrs old

argolio
06-14-2015, 12:51 AM
A 5 second forty???...i'd be close to that at nearly 50 yrs oldNot a chance you would.

Argo
06-15-2015, 12:45 PM
It's very premature to label Sam a no-talent. He's acquitted himself well at each level he was allowed to play at. This abrupt exit would seem to result from the mixture of, at least, youth and culture shock.
If Sam remains interested in playing football, he really should return, strive to play well, and hope to parlay success into a legitimate NFL opportunity.

T-Bone
06-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Michael Sam 'wanted to go home, and that's what he did,' Alouettes GM says (http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/michael-sam-wanted-to-go-home-and-thats-what-he-did-says-alouettes-gm)

AngeloV
06-15-2015, 01:19 PM
It's very premature to label Sam a no-talent. He's acquitted himself well at each level he was allowed to play at. This abrupt exit would seem to result from the mixture of, at least, youth and culture shock.
If Sam remains interested in playing football, he really should return, strive to play well, and hope to parlay success into a legitimate NFL opportunity.

I agree. The way I see it, some on here just love it for a high profile player to not make it in the CFL to somehow justify the talent level the league has. Then their are others that just don't like him for his sexual orientation...whether they want to admit it or not.

Not a chance you would.

I have to agree with you. 5 seconds in the 40 is extremely fast for a non pro athlete of any age.

Argo57
06-15-2015, 06:48 PM
I agree. The way I see it, some on here just love it for a high profile player to not make it in the CFL to somehow justify the talent level the league has. Then their are others that just don't like him for his sexual orientation...whether they want to admit it or not.

I have to agree with you. 5 seconds in the 40 is extremely fast for a non pro athlete of any age.

If I thought my hammys wouldn't grenade I could run a 5 minute 40

**Popp certainly changed his tune regarding Sam's departure, he is on thin ice.

AngeloV
06-15-2015, 07:35 PM
If I thought my hammys wouldn't grenade I could run a 5 minute 40

As a QB, my fastest 40 time in junior was 5.7. Embarrassingly slow for a skill position player.

argolio
06-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Dave Naylor said he was told Sam would have made the team, so if that's true it wasn't a football issue.

It's possible, because of his celebrity status, an opportunity to make a lot more money just presented itself.

Will
06-16-2015, 12:36 PM
A possible explanation (http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/michael-sam-pouting-after-teammate-comment-cfl-061615?adbsc=social_20150616_47622196&adbid=921217551249719&adbpl=fb&adbpr=749212008450275)

Sounds like it might not have been necessary a homophobic comment rather a general comment about his skill set.

Neely2005
06-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Apparently Sam quit because he knew that he wouldn't make the team:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/06/16/michael-sam-montreal-alouettes-cfl/

Will
06-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Yet, Naylor stated that Sam was on track to make the team.

T-Bone
06-16-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm sympathetic to Sam's position in the sense that there has been a lot of media pressure on him but I really wish he would make a statement regarding his departure or if he will be returning because it puts the Alouettes and the CFL in a bit of a difficult situation. Obviously they are going to respect his privacy and not say anymore than they already have but it leaves the media and fans with all this speculation.

EDIT: I guess Popp did have a bit more to say: Montreal Alouettes, CFL better with Michael Sam, GM says (http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2015/06/16/montreal-alouettes-cfl-better-with-michael-sam-gm-says.html)

1argoholic
06-16-2015, 03:29 PM
I think the guys got way to much going on in his head at this time. Hard to attempt to play with added pressure. He's had to adjust to being openly gay and especially in the spot light. That can't be easy. Montreal gave him a shot and that's that.

argonaut11xx
06-16-2015, 08:28 PM
I think the guys got way to much going on in his head at this time.

If his head wasnt right, and his heart wasnt "in it", then we understand what happened.

Too bad, because if he was FULLY committed to football, he would have shown better at the veteran combine this year, and at the Alouettes training camp

Wobbler
06-17-2015, 01:00 AM
I'm sympathetic to Sam's position in the sense that there has been a lot of media pressure on him but I really wish he would make a statement regarding his departure or if he will be returning because it puts the Alouettes and the CFL in a bit of a difficult situation. Obviously they are going to respect his privacy and not say anymore than they already have but it leaves the media and fans with all this speculation.
Agreed. For someone in a unique position, he doesn't seem to be managing his career very well and likely isn't getting good advice.

AngeloV
06-17-2015, 11:02 PM
If he wasn't good enough, Popp would have just released him, rather than retain his rights by placing him on the suspended list.

1argoholic
06-18-2015, 10:15 AM
Agree with both Wobbler and T- Bone. Thus the reason I think he's just got too much going on in his life. He seems to need to step back and chill for a while.

jerrym
06-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Agree with both Wobbler and T- Bone. Thus the reason I think he's just got too much going on in his life. He seems to need to step back and chill for a while.

At the introductory Als media scrum, he said he would act as a role model for young gays. That's an enormous amount of pressure to put on oneself, especially as a rookie. Furthermore, this must have been compounded by his later realization that he was initially slow in adapting to the CFL game. I hope it all works out for him whatever he does.

argonaut11xx
06-18-2015, 09:46 PM
If he wasn't good enough, Popp would have just released him, rather than retain his rights by placing him on the suspended list.

Looks like you are bang on AngeloV.....

Seems it was an issue with either the "head or heart", and an obvious bit of culture shock.

1argoholic
06-26-2015, 06:41 PM
So Sam is now back but still no reason for his departure that I can find.

gilthethrill
06-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Good luck supplanting Gabe Knapton or John Bowman Mr Sam.

OV Argo
06-27-2015, 12:27 AM
Good luck supplanting Gabe Knapton or John Bowman Mr Sam.

Exactly - he would get handed a starting job by some CFL all-american wannabe type but not with the mighty Poop? - oops, the guy who handed playing time to Chad Ocho-over-rated last year ?

jerrym
06-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Good to see him give it a full shot come what may.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you all so much for your support. Great to be back in Montreal with the club. Let's go <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Als?src=hash">#Als</a>!</p>&mdash; Michael Sam (@MichaelSamNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelSamNFL/status/614827056669405184">June 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

Argo
06-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Good to see him give it a full shot come what may.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you all so much for your support. Great to be back in Montreal with the club. Let's go <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Als?src=hash">#Als</a>!</p>— Michael Sam (@MichaelSamNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelSamNFL/status/614827056669405184">June 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
Exactly.

Downtownfan
06-30-2015, 11:24 AM
You know what I find fascinating? The reaction of the Toronto sports "media" on the Sam story. If this was happening and he was still in the NFL (his coming and going, etc.), they would be covering it breathlessly, as though it was the most important story EVER. But since it is in the CFL, they can't give the story, which is unquestionably fascinating no matter where you stand on it, the time of day. Look at Kelly, Brunt, etc., for example, who all froth over the NFL normally.

I swear, Cathal Kelly must have had it in his contract with the Globe that he would not be "forced" to cover the CFL. Quite pathetic.

R.J
06-30-2015, 12:16 PM
According to TMZ via CFL News, Sam and his fiance have split, so that could be the "personal reasons" he left camp for.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2015, 12:21 PM
According to TMZ via CFL News, Sam and his fiance have split, so that could be the "personal reasons" he left camp for.

Who would have thought that TMZ would be the source of CFL news? I imagine that it hasn't been easy for Sam's partner (now ex?) in dealing with all of the extra scrutiny over the last year or so.

R.J
06-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Who would have thought that TMZ would be the source of CFL news? I imagine that it hasn't been easy for Sam's partner (now ex?) in dealing with all of the extra scrutiny over the last year or so.
The Montreal - Sam issue IMO is that clearly Sam is getting preferential treatment, a couple of Alouette vets don't sound too happy and let's be honest would any other rookie player get a free pass if he broke up with his girlfriend ?

ArgoRavi
06-30-2015, 12:49 PM
The Montreal - Sam issue IMO is that clearly Sam is getting preferential treatment, a couple of Alouette vets don't sound too happy and let's be honest would any other rookie player get a free pass if he broke up with his girlfriend ?

Sam isn't the first player to leave training camp over a "personal issue" though. If another player breaks up with his wife or girlfriend during training camp and has to leave as a result, I doubt that we hear about it because TMZ isn't interested.

jerrym
07-03-2015, 02:25 AM
There are some players complaining about the attention Sam is getting. I think this is unfortunate. Yes, in one sense he is getting more attention that his play at practice merits, but he is taking on a role that is extremely difficult. For all of Jackie Robinson's success as a Black pioneer in baseball, the stress he faced more than likely shortened his life. Furthermore, the Brooklyn Dodgers had historically been a woeful team and Branch Rickey, the Dodger executive who brought Robinson to the majors, knew Robinson would greatly increase Black attendance at Dodger games. The Alouettes have already got a lot of media coverage, sold many Sam jerseys, and will likely increase gay attendance at their games if he makes the active roster. Football is a business after all.
When it comes to play on the field, Bill Russell of the Boston Celtics said it best last year, when asked about the first openly gay college basketball player. He said the situation reminded him of the problems Blacks went through 50 years or more ago in sports and that he would ask only one question about a gay player: "Can he play?"
The url below includes a video discussing the issue.

Michael Sam appeared to ruffle some feathers within the CFL community when he decided to leave the Alouettes (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-06-12/michael-sam-leaves-montreal-alouettes-training-camp-personal-reasons-cfl-illness) and eventually rejoin the team (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-06-27/michael-sam-montreal-alouettes-return-from-extended-absence).
The Edmonton Sun published (http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/07/01/qb-injuries-likely-will-see-more-scoring-woes-awful-games) what they called "CFL coaches and managers give their anonymous thoughts on what they're talking about behind closed doors." Some of these thoughts included Sam and his decision to leave the CFL for a brief period of time.
"Michael Sam hasn't played a down of football north of the border and he has gotten a thousand times more recognition than Randy Chevrier, who won the Tom Pate Award (for outstanding sportsmanship and someone who has made a significant contribution to his team, his community and CFLPA). That's pathetic," one of the anonymous people said. "You guys (in the media) should be embarrassed."
He wasn't the only person to say something about Sam's departure.
"Our players are saying they're hearing Michael Sam is an American prima donna. Thought he could just show up and dominate our league. Wrong."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/07/01/qb-injuries-likely-will-see-more-scoring-woes-awful-games

jerrym
07-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Few words from Sam: He doesn't want to be in limelight, Als coach says

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Video+Voters+reject+transit+plebiscite/11183059/story.html

jerrym
07-31-2015, 01:32 AM
Michael Sam could be playing in a game as early as this weekend.

Michael Sam's CFL debut is getting closer, but Montreal Alouettes coach Tom Higgins won't say exactly when it will be.
Some time in August, perhaps as early as Saturday in Calgary, the defensive end who gained fame as the first active pro football player who is openly gay will get into a game.
"He's going to see the field in August, but we have five games in August, four on the road," Higgins said Tuesday. "He is getting so much closer to being able to play.
"He's ready. He wants to go and I think it's going to happen sooner than later."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/michael-sam-to-make-alouettes-debut-in-august-1.3171536

jerrym
07-31-2015, 09:04 AM
According to the Calgary Sun, Sam will not be playing against the Stampeders.

argonaut11xx
07-31-2015, 01:04 PM
According to the Calgary Sun, Sam will not be playing against the Stampeders.

Probably a good move to ease him in, rather than him start against an angry stampeder team. I wonder if he will be more a special team guy at first, with some spot duty on D?

AngeloV
07-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Probably a good move to ease him in, rather than him start against an angry stampeder team. I wonder if he will be more a special team guy at first, with some spot duty on D?

He'll be a rotation guy. More and more successful teams are doing a good job of keeping D-lineman fresh and rotating every series.

jerrym
07-31-2015, 07:46 PM
I suspect that the Als will have Sam play his first game in Montreal and announce it well in advance in order to maximize any attendance benefits.

jerrym
08-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Although there have some reports of friction about Sam's quick notoriety and his earlier departure from the Montreal training camp noted above, Montreal's new QB Anthony Boone, who was signed this week reported that Sam's teammates speak highly of him.

Boone said he's been welcomed by his Montreal teammates so far. One of those teammates, Michael Sam, has drawn a lot of international media attention for being the CFL's first openly-gay player (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/michael-sam-signs-with-montreal--becomes-the-cfl-s-first-openly-gay-player-153404855.html), although he hasn't played in a game yet. (That may change this month (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/michael-sam-cfl-debut-alouettes-time-august-193131384--spt.html).) Boone said he hasn't had a chance to speak to Sam much yet, but his teammates speak highly of him, and none of them are concerned about Sam being a distraction. They see him as just another teammate.
"Everyone in the locker room seems to have a good rapport with him," Boone said. "Ultimately, at the end of the day, the only thing people care about is winning."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/interview--new-montreal-qb-anthony-boone-on-duke--the-cfl--michael-sam-and-more-195246325.html

jerrym
08-06-2015, 12:29 AM
According to the Montreal Gazette, Sam will play either this week or next. Since the team has hyped him so much, I suspect it's more likely he will play his first game at home this week.

We know this much with some certainty: If the much-anticipated Canadian Football League debut of Michael Sam doesn’t occur this Friday night at Ottawa, the rookie rush-end should finally hit the field at home next week, against Edmonton.
And it might all be tied to the status of defensive-back Jerald Brown.
“This is the closest Michael’s been. We’re practising Michael more now,” Alouettes head coach Tom Higgins said following Wednesday’s workout at Stade Hébert — one in which the 6-foot-2, 260-pound Sam participated in first-team drills more than at any point this season.
“I’m not going to talk about who’s on and who’s off because, right now, we’re not really 100 per cent sure,” Higgins continued. “I’m not even sure who the 46-man roster will be. How we line up we never talk about. Let Ottawa guess. We won’t let them know if we have any different wrinkles.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/cfl-debut-of-alouettes-sam-is-close-at-hand

jerrym
08-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Michael Sam became the first openly gay pro football player to take part in a CFL regular season game for the Montreal Alouettes in Ottawa on Friday night.
Wearing No. 94, Sam entered the game on defence against the Redblacks with five minutes left in the first quarter. He would go on to appear in several plays, but did not register a tackle or sack.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/michael-sam-is-1st-openly-gay-man-to-play-in-cfl-regular-season-game-1.3183929

argonaut11xx
08-08-2015, 06:11 PM
He looked slower than i had anticipated, one of the commentators referred to him as chunky.

Might be Trouble in Alouette land....

He is getting preferential treatment, and the locker room isnt impressed. Make sense now why he is always listed on the roster.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/08/sams-100k-salary-raises-eyebrows

argonaut11xx
08-14-2015, 08:03 PM
He is toast....

http://www.tsn.ca/alouettes-de-sam-stepping-away-from-football-1.345739

Dont think this guy will every play football again, mental toughness is as important as physical toughness.

He seemed out of shape, both mentally and physically.

Too bad cause he looked like he was made for the CFL during his college years.

AND....the plot thickens...bad attitude...fake injury...wow

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/alfieri-sam-s-attitude-has-been-a-problem-1.345625

jerrym
08-14-2015, 09:43 PM
In being the first openly gay player in football, Sam faced a kind of pressure few of us can comprehend. Having just watched the movie Amy about Amy Winehouse, the great jazz singer, whose career spiralled downhill to her death fuelled by alcohol, drugs and the classic build 'em up, tear 'em down coverage, gives me some sense of what this can be like.

jerrym
08-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Wrong thread.

gilthethrill
08-15-2015, 07:27 AM
I was surprised when Montreal released DE Brian Britkowski at the end of camp. He looked real good last season when he played. I think Sam replaced him despite having a poor camp.

Argo
08-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Adios to Mr. Sam. I doubt that playing football will be part of his future now that the NFL and CFL are no longer options. (IIRC, he's now on Montreal's suspended list, but realistically, who can envisage his return to the Als / CFL ?)

AngeloV
08-15-2015, 01:03 PM
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he kept his personal life personal. I really think, if he didn't come out, he would have been drafted higher in the NFL and made a roster. His pre-season last year surely didn't warrant getting cut. I really believe the NFL had someone draft him in the last round, and wouldn't be surprised if the Rams secretly received something from the league for doing so. Would have been very interesting to see what would have happened if he had waited, had success in the NFL and then came out.

Argo
08-15-2015, 01:34 PM
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he kept his personal life personal. I really think, if he didn't come out, he would have been drafted higher in the NFL and made a roster. His pre-season last year surely didn't warrant getting cut. I really believe the NFL had someone draft him in the last round, and wouldn't be surprised if the Rams secretly received something from the league for doing so. Would have been very interesting to see what would have happened if he had waited, had success in the NFL and then came out.

Yes, timing is usually important. The formal announcement approach may not even be necessary since everyone who matters would know anyway.
The sexual preference of the individual - vanishingly unimportant; meanwhile the world has numerous existential problems that needed to be solved yesterday.

Will
08-15-2015, 02:31 PM

Who knows, though, if he had remained "in the closet" whether he'd still suffer from the same sort of mental health issues.

ArgoRavi
08-15-2015, 03:05 PM
I wish Sam had signed with Montreal last fall when he was first reportedly considering doing so, learned the Canadian game for the rest of the season and then dedicated his entire off-season to being ready for the Alouettes' training camp this past spring. Only then IMO would we have had a fair chance to evaluate whether he could be successful in this league or not. His signing with the Als a day before rookie camp and not being in good enough shape for Canadian football really put him behind the eight ball and he was never able to recover.

AngeloV
08-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Who knows, though, if he had remained "in the closet" whether he'd still suffer from the same sort of mental health issues.

I don't disagree. I just think he would have been in the NFL if he waited, and avoided the media circus that has followed him ever since. As I said, his NFL pre season play certainly was good enough to make a roster, and I think he also would have been drafted higher had he waited.

Gill The Thrill
08-16-2015, 01:22 PM
He was considered too small to play Linebacker in the NFL and probably made his announcement to possibly garner some public sentiment so that people could promote him being drafted in the NFL. Willie Pless was not drafted into the NFL back in the 80's because he was considered too small, but he was a much better player than Sam ever was coming out of the NCAA and was way quicker.

If he didn't want his personal situation to be a big deal, he should've just concentrated on being a football player and not trying to become a celebrity because of it. Dancing with the Stars was not the best preparation for any football training camp. ESPN did not help his situation that's for sure, they should just stick to covering sports instead of trying to persuade their audience that a player's personal life should not matter, yet stick a camera in his face and following him on draft day, so much for him being just one of the guys. Quite frankly, I think he agreed to come to Montreal only because of the guaranteed spot and 100k salary which would indicate that he was given preferential treatment compared to other players in camp.

If a guy is good enough to play, most coaches will overlook whatever you do in your personal life provided you're not breaking the law, even more so in football as we've seen over the years.

QBall
08-16-2015, 08:10 PM
His career is done. I don't think any other team in the future is going to want to buy a ticket to that circus.

T-Bone
08-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Yes, timing is usually important. The formal announcement approach may not even be necessary since everyone who matters would know anyway.
The sexual preference of the individual - vanishingly unimportant; meanwhile the world has numerous existential problems that needed to be solved yesterday.
It should be unimportant, I think that is the ultimate goal. For something to be unimportant though it has to be "normal." We are still far from that on a global scale. Gay rights is the civil rights movement of this generation. Same-sex marriage was only legalized nationally in the US on June 26 of this year. There is still a lot of work to be done and what Micheal Sam did by coming out was brave. I also think announcing his mental heath for the reason he is leaving was also brave. It's been saddening to see some of the comments from people. I just read this article about the situation and think it sums things up very well: Michael Sam's sad CFL story paints dark picture (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/16/michael-sams-sad-cfl-story-paints-dark-picture)

Gill The Thrill
08-17-2015, 02:15 PM
He wasn't good enough. Plain and simple. Dice it and slice it any way you want, to please whomever, but in the end, he was not a good enough football player...case closed. If he were just another guy, we'd all agree he just wasn't good enough.

mchesher03
08-17-2015, 02:48 PM
all I will say is I hope he gets his life together, he's young and has plenty of time to figure it out.

he should steer clear of pro football though - he is not about to cash any NFL paycheques let alone any CFL paycheques.

argolio
08-18-2015, 02:01 AM
Once he came out and the initial story died down somewhat, he had to become a football player who happened to be gay in order to have a chance at a successful pro career. With football not being his primary focus, he had little to no chance.

T-Bone
08-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Once he came out and the initial story died down somewhat, he had to become a football player who happened to be gay in order to have a chance at a successful pro career. With football not being his primary focus, he had little to no chance.
Here is an article that covers exactly that: Michael Sam Needed to Put All His Focus on Football to Succeed on the Field (http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/13455478/michael-sam-needed-put-all-focus-football-succeed-field)

Being a gay athlete is hard. But the thing too few people are talking about is that the biggest hurdle isn't winning over teammates and coaches inside the locker room. It's keeping the crush of requests -- many of them from LGBT-friendly organizations wanting to champion the athlete -- from becoming a distraction.
I found that part interesting. I can only image what the pressure would be like trying to appease everyone and looks like it may have taken its toll.

all I will say is I hope he gets his life together, he's young and has plenty of time to figure it out.
Agreed.

argonaut11xx
08-18-2015, 11:24 AM
I think that this comment from the same article, and the fact he was out of shape are the main reasons for his demise in the CFL. Special treament in getting a full game cheque when he did not earn it.

"Sad in that his teammates – the majority making significantly less than the $100,000 Sam reportedly signed for – watched helplessly as a roster spot of a WORTHY player- went to a guy with a bigger name and a splashier back story."

T-Bone
08-18-2015, 12:33 PM
I think that this comment from the same article, and the fact he was out of shape are the main reasons for his demise in the CFL. Special treament in getting a full game cheque when he did not earn it.

"Sad in that his teammates – the majority making significantly less than the $100,000 Sam reportedly signed for – watched helplessly as a roster spot of a WORTHY player- went to a guy with a bigger name and a splashier back story."
How is that Sam's fault? That falls on the Alouettes.

argonaut11xx
08-18-2015, 04:30 PM
How is that Sam's fault? That falls on the Alouettes.

The Al's tryed for a splash....Sam is not innocent, he was out of shape, and seemed uncommitted, which is his fault. The spotlight is partly his own doing as well.

Its too bad, because if he would have been as into it, as he was at Rams camp i think he would have been a force in the CFL.

Argocister
09-25-2015, 03:38 PM
This is way too funny .....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/25/michael-sam-i-want-to-play-in-the-nfl-wasnt-getting-better-in-the-cfl/

sounds like a kid to me.

T-Bone
09-25-2015, 03:50 PM
This is way too funny ..... (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/25/michael-sam-i-want-to-play-in-the-nfl-wasnt-getting-better-in-the-cfl/)

sounds like a kid to me.
Ya, I've officially lost respect for his football ethic.

1argoholic
09-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Ok this guy is a total DICK at this point. Good luck buddy as you have to get your head in shape before you start thinking about football. I suppose he wasn't used to all the running around and big field with a 20 second clock. He was totally out or shape or overrated. Your football days are over. You'll be known for a guy that came out but wasn't good enough for the CFL.

Argo
09-25-2015, 05:53 PM
He'd be an all-star in a soap opera, however.

Will
09-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Unfortunate that this is the result, but he's digging his own grave.

gilthethrill
09-27-2015, 01:05 PM
I notice Montreal has brought back a good DE in Brian Britkowski, who was cut at TC, I suspect possibly to get Sam on the roster.

argonaut11xx
09-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Big FAT ​Loser

(don't tread on MY league)

Argocister
09-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Big FAT ​Loser

(don't tread on MY league)

Yea he was a bit heavy for his position in the CFL ...... But maybe that's the way they like it in the NFL ....let him go

Argo57
09-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Maybe he wasn't getting any better with Montreal because he doesn't have the talent or mental makeup to get any better.
This guy is simply not worth the distraction.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8