PDA

View Full Version : Should we pickup Fred Reid?

1argoholic
02-28-2012, 11:56 AM
If he came for the right price he'd be great to watch. Someone will grab him. Nice clASS move by Winnipeg dumping him in the middle of all the NFL trade Deadline crap.

Skinny G
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
For the right price, maybe they could have that "Thunder and Lightning" tandem in the backfield with Boyd and Reid...similar to the Drummond and Pinball days. But that would then mean Durie would be a pure slot back and not starting out of the backfield...

1argoholic
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
I like that idea.

Skinny G
02-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Further to the thought of Fred Reid, would Wes Cates be a possible "cheaper" option? Could potentially have the same affect...

ArgoRavi
02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Further to the thought of Fred Reid, would Wes Cates be a possible "cheaper" option? Could potentially have the same affect...

Running backs are probably the easiest of any position to find. That is why I will be surprised if Reid, Cates or Joffrey Reynolds are picked up by anyone. Even Avon Cobourne may have a tough time finding work again. The Argos already have Boyd and Chad Kackert and I see them having zero interest in Reid or Cates who clearly IMO lost a step over the last couple of years.

Skinny G
02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Running backs are probably the easiest of any position to find. That is why I will be surprised if Reid, Cates or Joffrey Reynolds are picked up by anyone. Even Avon Cobourne may have a tough time finding work again. The Argos already have Boyd and Chad Kackert and I see them having zero interest in Reid or Cates who clearly IMO lost a step over the last couple of years.

Let's hope they start using the both of them together. I even wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Johnson in the back, all the guy does is produce.

Area 51
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Second easiest position to find. With KR you can use a DB, a WR, or a RB to do the job. More options to choose from makes it easier to fill.

I agree that it would be a mistake for Toronto to bring in Reid or any of the other big name RBs that have been released. What kind of message would this be sending to Boyd? We like you, but we're going to bring in one of your biggest rivals to share carries with? There's lots of other areas to upgrade, especially on defence, without wasting cap space to sign another RB.

ArgoGabe22
02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Bringing in Reid would just be a waste of salary that can be used for positions that we actually need depth in. I'm happy with BOY-ED! and Kack Attack and of course JJ who surprisingly gets a lot of first downs.

Nob
02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Agreed. No need for Reid.

argonaut11xx
02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
good running backs are a dime a dozen...

marcwagz
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
no, i dont want drama, Boyd is our #1

R.J
02-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Don't really see any reason to pick up Reid or any of the other released RBs, think the Argos are set with Boyd, Kackert, Dure, and Johnson.

AngeloV
02-28-2012, 02:24 PM
No interest at all in Fred Reid. I don't think he wold go to a place where he wouldn't have a chance at starting (and anybody that thinks he can beat out Cory Boyd has a personal ax to grind with CB). Furthermore, he sucked last year, and the best thing that happened to the Bombers was his getting injured. Personally, I think he's done. I can't remember the last time a CFL feature back had as low a rushing average as he did last year (4.2).

Oarsman
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
I am going to pass on Reid. I don't think that many of these big name free agents will be signed by anyone and would be available if injuries crop up. There is no need to put someone on the payroll when you don't have to.

1argoholic
02-28-2012, 06:01 PM
As for rb's being a dime a dozen. Yah for most teams but not Toronto. We haven't exactly been great at finding rb's over the years. It's been a struggle for us to find rb's and qb's. As of late though I'm happy with Boyd and Kackert.

KCargosfan
02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Nah, Boyd and Kackert are fine.

Will
02-28-2012, 10:59 PM
As for rb's being a dime a dozen. Yah for most teams but not Toronto. We haven't exactly been great at finding rb's over the years. It's been a struggle for us to find rb's and qb's. As of late though I'm happy with Boyd and Kackert.

I'll disagree a little bit here. The Argonauts have been able to find RB's from time to time. The only issue is retaining them beyond a period of a few years, which is quite similar to the problems that they've faced at QB. You had guys like Shatto and Symons who were long-term RB's in the 1960's, but then you have guys like Doyle Orange, Cedric Minter, Gil Fenerty, Robert Drummond and Michael Jenkins who stick around for a few 1,000 yard seasons and then leave. Also, several great Argo teams of the past (1983 + 1991) didn't put a huge emphasis on the running game compared to the passing game.

I, too, will take a pass on Fred Reid as I am pleased with the Boyd and Kackert in the backfield. I think we'll bring in a Canadian running back to try to replace the role that Crawford filled.

1argoholic
02-29-2012, 12:05 AM
We're talking over a good 40 year span and they've had very few oftheir own rb finds that have been long time great Argos.
This is just always been an area where other CFL teams have done a better more consistant job of findings guys.

argolio
02-29-2012, 01:02 AM
No. .

Area 51
02-29-2012, 01:15 AM
I think we'll bring in a Canadian running back to try to replace the role that Crawford filled.

I don't see that as being a possibility, but I really hope they don't. Having Johnson & Crawford filling two of the twenty NI spots last year handcuffed Toronto at RB and caused problems for getting Boyd and Kackert on the field together. I'd much rather see them bring in a Canadian LB or DB or even another Canadian WR to take Crawford's spot on the twenty man NI list. There's such a massive pool of talented import RBs out there, it doesn't make sense to not have the flexibility to have two of them on the field together.

ArgoRavi
02-29-2012, 02:52 AM
We're talking over a good 40 year span and they've had very few oftheir own rb finds that have been long time great Argos.
This is just always been an area where other CFL teams have done a better more consistant job of findings guys.

I am not so sure about that. I guess it depends in part on what you consider to be "long time". It seems like even the best running backs don't seem to last much longer than four or five seasons with one team and going by that, the Argos have probably done as well as anyone. Leon McQuay was good for two or three years in the early 1970s, Doyle Orange had a 1000 yard season in '75 and then Cedric Minter put in three good years before heading to the NFL in the 1980s. Gill Fenerty was outstanding for three years before he too headed to the NFL which ushered in the Pinball Clemons era. Michael Jenkins was a good find by J.I. Albrecht a decade ago and now we have Boyd so I don't think that we have done much worse than anyone else in this league in finding our own good running backs for at least a three year span anyway.

matchuk
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
no need for fred reid

jerrym
03-01-2012, 07:34 PM
No. We have much more critical needs in O-line, D-line and especially receiver. I loved Reid but he is already 30 and his yards per carry dropped off dramatically last year before his injury. Combining the seriousness of the injury with his age (old for a running back), I don't think the risk or salary cap hit worth it.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8