View Full Version : We going to see Ray before August?

KCargosfan
05-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Threw a baseball and tennis ball only today, and was sore from that. Yikes.

LLB997
05-27-2015, 05:46 PM
I am still recovering from a separated shoulder I suffered last September and I havnt even had surgery on it (yet). The shoulder is a slllllloooowwwww healer. I would not count on Ray coming back before the LD classic .

Argo57
05-27-2015, 07:01 PM
I am still recovering from a separated shoulder I suffered last September and I havnt even had surgery on it (yet). The shoulder is a slllllloooowwwww healer. I would not count on Ray coming back before the LD classic .

Be prepared to see Harris or Gale a lot this season, if Ray is experiencing soreness from throwing a tennis ball and or baseball that is troubling to me on the eve of training camp.
Even when he gets his full range of motion and shoulder strength back how will it react when he starts getting hit for real.
Hold your breath for sure!!

Argo
05-28-2015, 01:58 AM
Age and injury may go hand in hand, but Ray's injury is just an exclamation point. Given that Ray will be 37 this season, the fact of his particular injury is moot in regard to the following argument...

If we could not have foresight (if applicable), we may have hindsight - the Argos should have passed the torch to Collaros: 9 years younger and, he would have represented at least for two or three seasons, a significantly lower salary hit.

Your thoughts?

Time for one or more of the current backups to open the audition(s) for the starting QB role, as "how much?" and "for how much longer?" are wide open questions pertaining to Ray.
I hope to see Harris - or, if not him, then another aspiring Argonauts QB - match, more-or-less, the level of play of Hamilton's young starting QB.

Wobbler
05-28-2015, 03:39 AM
Game 1 is still a month away, people.

Argo57
05-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Game 1 is still a month away, people.

Sure but it's not flag football, throwing pain free is somewhat different than being sacked by a 300 lb lineman.
Rest assured other teams will give Ray an extra shot or two to test his injury.

T-Bone
05-28-2015, 08:59 AM
Age and injury may go hand in hand, but Ray's injury is just an exclamation point. Given that Ray will be 37 this season, the fact of his particular injury is moot in regard to the following argument...

If we could not have foresight (if applicable), we may have hindsight - the Argos should have passed the torch to Collaros: 9 years younger and, he would have represented at least for two or three seasons, a significantly lower salary hit.

Your thoughts?

Time for one or more of the current backups to open the audition(s) for the starting QB role, as "how much?" and "for how much longer?" are wide open questions pertaining to Ray.
I hope to see Harris - or, if not him, then another aspiring Argonauts QB - match, more-or-less, the level of play of Hamilton's young starting QB.
Did I read Ray's stats from last season incorrectly? You can't plan on starting or not starting someone based on the fact they might get injured. Injuries are always a possibility and when they occur you have to compensate. Ray over Collaros was the right choice in my opinion, no one can predict the future.

Argos' Ricky Ray appears weeks away from return (http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/05/27/argos-ricky-ray-appears-weeks-away-from-return.html)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ricky Ray says his shoulder recovery is on track ahead of the &#39;15 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> season. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> VIDEO: <a href="http://t.co/myzkQ7YUsf">http://t.co/myzkQ7YUsf</a> <a href="http://t.co/vTmgn4Fsbn">pic.twitter.com/vTmgn4Fsbn</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/603675935926296578">May 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoRavi
05-28-2015, 10:07 AM

Let's not make Ray older than he is. He is currently 35 and won't turn 36 until October.

1argoholic
05-28-2015, 10:24 AM
He's 37 not 47. He's also got the the ability to be working with great physio folks. He'll just have to take his time. Any surgery takes plenty of time to heal.

I had a kidney removed in 85 straight out of college. 30 years with one kidney and out of college. WOW! Anyhow I never anticipated getting shooting pains in my left shoulder area do to the fact that they made a foot long incision in my side to remove the kidney. This throws everything for a loop. Nerves get effected and to this day if I absolutely stuff my self on some great eats I'll get that shoulder nerve pain. I guess my full stomach pushes against nerves that tweak up to my left shoulder.

So who knows what kind of issues Ray has to deal with especially playing a sport and position where guys are trying to hammer you onto that shoulder. Nice sport. haha.

AngeloV
05-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Sure but it's not flag football, throwing pain free is somewhat different than being sacked by a 300 lb lineman.
Rest assured other teams will give Ray an extra shot or two to test his injury.

A rotator cuff is actually affected more by the throwing motion than a hit. The only time a hit should have an affect on that particular injury is if his follow through on the throw makes solid contact with someone from the front of his arm putting a complete halt to the arm's momentum. I've had the injury before.

Rich
05-28-2015, 10:51 AM

I said this a couple of years ago and almost got chased off this board. Only Argotom and a couple of others agreed with me. I put it in the context of the predicted move to BMO. I said when we move to the new facility, with all the new attention it will bring to the Argos, don't we want to go with a QB on the way up, as opposed to one with skills and health fading?

Anyway, what's done is done. Trevor Harris may turn into a solid CFL QB, but I doubt if he's got greatness in him. I would say to give Blake Sims all the chances he can get to learn the CFL game, because he IS capable of some great things up here. I understand he has a 3-year contract. There's a guy with the potential to bring some real excitement to our first season at BMO.

Argo57
05-28-2015, 06:46 PM
A rotator cuff is actually affected more by the throwing motion than a hit. The only time a hit should have an affect on that particular injury is if his follow through on the throw makes solid contact with someone from the front of his arm putting a complete halt to the arm's momentum. I've had the injury before.

Wasn't this injury a directly related to the Charleston Hughes sack in the Calgary game in 2013???

AngeloV
05-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Wasn't this injury a directly related to the Charleston Hughes sack in the Calgary game in 2013???

I didn't think so. I thought that was a mild separation and not a rotator cuff tear, but I could be wrong.

R.J
05-28-2015, 07:35 PM
I know some will disagree with me, but IMO it's time for the Argonauts to have their QB of the future getting ready for primetime. Not saying it has to happen this season, but Ray isn't getting younger and since coming to the Argonauts is becoming injury prone. Not sold on Harris nor Gale, but then again haven't seen much of them. Kilgore looks impressive from what I've seen, but same as the others.................. I haven't seen much of him.

1argoholic
05-28-2015, 07:58 PM
We brought in another qb named Sims I believe who played at Alabama. I really don't recall this guy so I'll have to look him up and it might jog the memory.

HereComeTheIrish
05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Blake Sims was a good QB for Alabama. I think he could do really well for us.

ArgoRavi
05-28-2015, 10:59 PM
I didn't think so. I thought that was a mild separation and not a rotator cuff tear, but I could be wrong.

From what I recall reading last November, Ray said that his injury did trace back to the Hughes' hit. He never fully recovered from it prior to having the surgery.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8