PDA

View Full Version : Who's in for a moratorium on "attendance whinning" ??

Ron
05-29-2015, 01:29 PM
With the team heading to new digs with new owners ... who cares if there are 25k or only 5K at games this year? Chances are attendance will suck just for people knowing it's a lame duck year ... with high ticket prices for a crappy venue that's empty.

So how about a year of no whinning about attendance?

argolio
05-29-2015, 02:34 PM
Do you mean whining?

Rocket
05-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Do you mean whining?

I think the whining will stop on December 31 2015! I just hope bell and Lt will actually listen and learn from the whining! So that past mistakes with the current owner do not come up again when the Argos are at bmo.

PullTogether73
05-29-2015, 03:50 PM
I hope for lots of "winning" and no "whining"!

gilthethrill
05-29-2015, 04:08 PM
There's no whining in football!!!!

argonaut11xx
05-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Im hoping that when the Argo's move into BMO, they outdraw, TFC.

This season, i'd suggest TFC will outdraw the Argo's

AngeloV
05-29-2015, 05:02 PM
OMG, Ron. Sometimes I think that you and Invader are in Braley's will the way you guys defend his lack of spending. Hey, at least he was 100k over the salary floor last year.

Argocister
05-29-2015, 05:02 PM
There's no whining in football!!!!

Good rule! Same goes for life in general!

Knowing that the Argos don't get any monies from concessions etc I wouldn't want to reduce their funding.
I don't know what point there is in not going except prove a point against the rogers group or Braley, but my support for the team supersedes that. I will not whine , I will support the team . I am glad that at least the Argos didn't have to go the same route as the Ottawa team.

Neely2005
05-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Im hoping that when the Argo's move into BMO, they outdraw, TFC.

This season, i'd suggest TFC will outdraw the Argo's

That may be hard to do since BMO Field seats 30,000 for soccer and only around 25,000 for CFL football.

Ron
05-29-2015, 08:15 PM
OMG, Ron. Sometimes I think that you and Invader are in Braley's will the way you guys defend his lack of spending. Hey, at least he was 100k over the salary floor last year.

I never defended his lack of spending. I could just see why he'd do that considering the big picture. I also tend to see big picture stuff and you're smaller in scope. When at the shore I see the Ocean and how it fits into the Earthly biosphere ... while you just look down and bitch that one pebble is smaller than another. You never understand why a wave came and made your feet wet because all you see are the pebbles. ;)

AngeloV
05-29-2015, 09:19 PM
You never understand why a wave came and made your feet wet because all you see are the pebbles. ;)

Huh?? Sounds like you've been eating Fruity Pebbles.

Mookie Fan
05-29-2015, 09:24 PM

Interesting number. I hadn't heard the team was that low in spending on player salaries, although I assumed they were pretty low. I do remember that Hamilton (if I recall correctly) was the only team over the cap, and not by very much. That extra million dollars (roughly) can be the difference between having a competitive team and one that struggles, especially when injuries start to hit a team. It helps to be able to bring in more players during a season. It sounds like we had some serious cap space to throw at a player like S.J. Green, though we may have had to overpay to convince him to leave his stable situation in Montreal.

I really hope our new owners decide to allow the Argo GM to spend close to the ceiling of the salary cap. The new owners certainly have a lot of money. That said, Braley reportedly has quite a bit as well.

Neely2005
05-29-2015, 11:24 PM

What's the Salary Floor?

This article says that the Argonauts spent 4.4 Million on salaries last season:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/espn-sporting-intelligence-survey-has-some-fascinating-data-on-cfl-salaries-194534104.html

They spent the 6th most out of the 9 teams.

1argoholic
05-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Ok I'll stick to bitching and complaining, there's a difference. haha. I don't bitch that the seats are empty, I bitch that Torontonians as a whole are Sheep. Time to get the marketing machine rolling because since Torontonians are Sheep great marketing should get them following each other to BMO for 2016.

Tau Ceti
05-30-2015, 12:42 PM
What's the Salary Floor?

The floor is $4.4 million in 2014 rising by $50,000 per year throughout the contract. That's $600,000 less than the cap each year.

Neely2005
05-30-2015, 12:54 PM
The floor is $4.4 million in 2014 rising by $50,000 per year throughout the contract. That's $600,000 less than the cap each year.

So how did the Eskimos and the Redblacks both spend less than 4.4 Million last season?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/espn-sporting-intelligence-survey-has-some-fascinating-data-on-cfl-salaries-194534104.html

Tau Ceti
05-30-2015, 01:38 PM
So how did the Eskimos and the Redblacks both spend less than 4.4 Million last season?

That link you've got is confusing as hell but it does state the salary floor: "Last year's cap floor was $4.4 million ($3.6 million USD), so teams had to spend at least that much." See pages 49 and 82 of this document for the floor and cap respectively: https://media.cfldb.ca/documents/cfl-cflpa-collective-agreement-2014.pdf.

I'm sure a lot of teams were very near the floor on salary alone. Differences in non-cap payouts on bonuses and allowances likely account for the difference in rankings.

jerrym
05-31-2015, 05:17 PM
With the team heading to new digs with new owners ... who cares if there are 25k or only 5K at games this year? Chances are attendance will suck just for people knowing it's a lame duck year ... with high ticket prices for a crappy venue that's empty.

So how about a year of no whinning about attendance?

I promise not to whine about attendance, but what is life if you don't have something to whine about?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8