PDA

View Full Version : Cleyon Laing

mchesher03
05-30-2015, 10:41 PM
Laing was just added to the suspended list by the team anyone have any idea why? We will need a strong d line esp given the likelihood our secondary will be pretty raw

ArgoRavi
05-31-2015, 12:33 AM
Laing was just added to the suspended list by the team anyone have any idea why? We will need a strong d line esp given the likelihood our secondary will be pretty raw

He is probably just late in arriving to camp and it is an excused lateness. IIRC, he was promoting the home opener in Fort McMurray not that long ago.

D-Gap-Willie
05-31-2015, 07:28 AM
He is probably just late in arriving to camp and it is an excused lateness. IIRC, he was promoting the home opener in Fort McMurray not that long ago.
I hope it's just a technicality (eg lateness) and nothing more. We don't need suspensions to start the season !

doubleblue
05-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Just another way of keeping an extra body In Camp for a longer look IMO.

Argocister
05-31-2015, 12:25 PM
According to the Argos Twitter, it seems Barker doesn't know why he didn't show ...... Of course it may just seem that way .....

Toronto Argonauts
38m38 minutes ago
Toronto Argonauts ‏@TorontoArgos
Barker on Laing suspension: "He didn't report so we suspended his contract. It's disappointing but we're excited about the guys here." #CFL

doubleblue
05-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Hope this isn't serious and Jim is just trying to make things look good to the League. On the other hand maybe Laing wants more money or a trade to his home town Edmonton.
Edmonton has plenty of Canadian receivers.

gilthethrill
05-31-2015, 06:24 PM
According to Curtis Rush, Laing hired Johnathan Hardaway as his agent and is at home holding out in hopes of a better contract.

Argocister
05-31-2015, 07:43 PM
According to Curtis Rush, Laing hired Johnathan Hardaway as his agent and is at home holding out in hopes of a better contract.

Mmmmm.... So is Ackie the Als first draft pick ......also with Hardaway as his agent.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/alouettes-first-round-pick-chris-ackie-hit-contract-impasse
..... But I just read that the Als signed Hefney as DB ..... Do you think Popp is playing hard ball with Hardaway?

Wobbler
05-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Looks like we'll be starting a National at WR or going with four on the OL after all.

Will
05-31-2015, 08:39 PM
A bold move on Laing's part. I didn't think he'd shown enough to have such leverage.

mchesher03
05-31-2015, 09:34 PM
Bold or foolish move? I'd go with the latter - just disappointing as I think and hope d-line is a strength this year

ArgoRavi
05-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Jonathan Hardaway is a notoriously tough agent to deal with. I suspect that CFL GMs would rather deal with any other agent than him. He doesn't seem to have trouble attracting clients though.

Mookie Fan
05-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Bold or foolish move? I'd go with the latter - just disappointing as I think and hope d-line is a strength this year

I agree it is foolish. Laing isn't a free agent, is he? If not, he should have reported. Selfishly I want to see him play for the Argos this year, and I realize he is thinking about this from the perspective of a player. I also think he can help Toronto win. He's a decent player and will help with the player ratio. I think these holdouts often end badly and end up hurting the individual player and the team.

If the Argos have a lot of cap space, they could maybe afford to give him more money. That said, I doubt Barker will want to reward a player for holding out and possibly set a precedent. He also has likely been given little more than the minimum by Braley for this season and won't want to spend too much on one player. That might hurt his ability to acquire other players during the season.

OV Argo
05-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Looks like we'll be starting a National at WR or going with four on the OL after all.

Durie and 3 interior NI O-lineman = 4 NI starters on O

Foley, Gabriel, Greenwood = 3 NI starters on D ... to get to the minimum 7 NIs only

LOTS of other options even if Laing doesn't show: Waud wins a DT spot; an NI OT (Van Zeyl or Sewell); Coombs or Campbell play tailback; Matt Black at corner; Adjei or Norzill have a great camp to claim a starting receiver job

argolio
05-31-2015, 11:25 PM
Trade him!

Wobbler
06-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Durie and 3 interior NI O-lineman = 4 NI starters on O

Foley, Gabriel, Greenwood = 3 NI starters on D ... to get to the minimum 7 NIs only

LOTS of other options even if Laing doesn't show: Waud wins a DT spot; an NI OT (Van Zeyl or Sewell); Coombs or Campbell play tailback; Matt Black at corner; Adjei or Norzill have a great camp to claim a starting receiver job
Dressing the minimum when - as you pointed out - we could comfortably start eight seems risky. I'm not a fan of Black at CB (based on his performance vs. MTL last year), I like Steele at RB, and I'm skeptical that any of our available 2015 draftees will be ready to start in June. However, it would be pretty easy to have four OL or start Coombs at WR (backed by whichever of Adjei, Norzill, or Bradfield is most capable). It's annoying that we even have to consider the ratio, frankly. I'm not going to be hiring NimbusCreative for any of my marketing needs, I can tell you that! ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Meet my team <a href="https://twitter.com/NimbusCreative">@nimbuscreative</a> we are a unique group dedicated to seeing <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/yeg?src=hash">#yeg</a> our city prosper.. grow… <a href="http://t.co/kwfNNSeA6X">http://t.co/kwfNNSeA6X</a></p>&mdash; Cleyon Laing (@Biggzz90) <a href="https://twitter.com/Biggzz90/status/452297837070790656">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argo57
06-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Let him sit!

AngeloV
06-01-2015, 09:04 AM
I agree it is foolish. Laing isn't a free agent, is he?

Not 100% sure, but if it is the option year of his contract, he has every right to sit out or re-negotiate.

Jon Gonzo
06-01-2015, 09:26 AM
These contract powerplays never work in the CFL. Not for money anyway. This isn't the NFL or NHL here. However, as it seems Laing lives and works in Edmonton, he probably wants to force a trade.

Based on Barker and Milanovich's credo of 'we only want guys -- who want to be here,' unless the player has a change of heart, we have probably seen the last of Cleyon Laing.

Last season really took a toll on some of these guys.

Question is, what would Edmonton be willing to give up to get him? Would the Argos love to get their hands on Devon Bailey from Mississauga? To make it work, the trade would have to potentially aid the ratio. Both players do. Pretty much two non-import starter's in the mix here.

jerrym
06-01-2015, 01:15 PM
These contract powerplays never work in the CFL. Not for money anyway. This isn't the NFL or NHL here. However, as it seems Laing lives and works in Edmonton, he probably wants to force a trade.

Based on Barker and Milanovich's credo of 'we only want guys -- who want to be here,' unless the player has a change of heart, we have probably seen the last of Cleyon Laing.

Last season really took a toll on some of these guys.

Question is, what would Edmonton be willing to give up to get him? Would the Argos love to get their hands on Devon Bailey from Mississauga? To make it work, the trade would have to potentially aid the ratio. Both players do. Pretty much two non-import starter's in the mix here.

In case anyone else hasn't done it, welcome on board the good ship Argo.

Neely2005
06-02-2015, 11:39 AM
@CurtisGRush: Expect the #Argos to announce soon that Cleyon Laing will return to team. Good news for Argos. #CFL

https://twitter.com/CurtisGRush/status/605738960585760768

Will
06-02-2015, 01:13 PM
@CurtisGRush: Expect the #Argos to announce soon that Cleyon Laing will return to team. Good news for Argos. #CFL

https://twitter.com/CurtisGRush/status/605738960585760768

Good news. The quick resolution to this makes me think whether it was a "power play" by Laing and his agent.

AngeloV
06-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Good news. The quick resolution to this makes me think whether it was a "power play" by Laing and his agent.

Or maybe an old vet move of missing a few two a days.

Jon Gonzo
06-02-2015, 02:01 PM
A good conclusion indeed. That means the continued development of Cleyon, who has all star ability, and an extra American Receiver or Lineman. Hardaway had a productive day today.

OV Argo
06-02-2015, 11:13 PM
A good conclusion indeed. That means the continued development of Cleyon, who has all star ability, and an extra American Receiver or Lineman. Hardaway had a productive day today.

Don't know about "all star ability" but Laing has flashed some talent and should continue to improve and be solid; looking forward to seeing how Waud can do - a bigger DT and has some athleticism it seems; a combo of Laing & Waud holding down one DT spot might be quite good - or maybe both starting, cause the other DTs are unproven basically, though i liked some of what i saw from Delano Johnson last year.

Jon Gonzo
06-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Don't know about "all star ability" but Laing has flashed some talent and should continue to improve and be solid; looking forward to seeing how Waud can do - a bigger DT and has some athleticism it seems; a combo of Laing & Waud holding down one DT spot might be quite good - or maybe both starting, cause the other DTs are unproven basically, though i liked some of what i saw from Delano Johnson last year.

I'd say Cleyon can have a Ted Laurent season if he stays healthy and disciplined. Just my opinion.

OV Argo
06-03-2015, 12:02 AM
I'd say Cleyon can have a Ted Laurent season if he stays healthy and disciplined. Just my opinion.

I hope so.

There are no dominant, superstar CFL DTs these days IMO; Laurent is good but maybe a tad over-rated IMO, and there are some others; but nobody even CLOSE to a Jon Helton, Ed McQuarters, Dave Fennell type DT.

Wobbler
06-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Zicarelli's article yesterday (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/02/argos-expecting-laing-to-show-up-for-camp) raises the possibility that we still might trade Laing. It's possible that he has been holding out for a trade to Edmonton (his home), and that he has agreed to report while that is worked out.

If he's motivated to be in Edmonton, we can be sure he'll sign there as a FA next spring - so this hypothetical trade doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Who/what would we want from the Eskimos? They are already starting a national at DT so we could swap. Maybe Laing for Steele? I don't think Steele is as good, but we don't have a lot of negotiating power.

Argo
06-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Devon Bailey

paulwoods13
06-03-2015, 04:15 PM
Or Shamawd Chambers.

jerrym
06-03-2015, 04:29 PM
I'd love it if the Argos got Shamawd Chambers in the trade.

doubleblue
06-03-2015, 08:19 PM
More likely Edmonton will offer Watson. He apparently wants to come back East and is playing out his option. I would want something beside Watson, as he is older I believe and rather injury prone.

Wobbler
06-03-2015, 09:26 PM
If this hypothetical transaction happens, I think we'd be lucky to get Steele. Consider that the last time we traded a National starter (yes, yes, we weren't *sure* he'd be a starter) who insisted on playing elsewhere the return was Akwasi Antwi.

OV Argo
06-03-2015, 10:25 PM
I'd take any of Chambers, Bailey, Coehoorn, Watson or Foster, but make them throw in a draft pick as well if they want Laing so bad. Steele or Donny O as Esks DTs are pretty average at best; former Argo Alexandre is probably their most talented NI DT IMO; wonder how much Jones is really interested in Laing as he would know him from his rookie season with the Argos ?

jerrym
06-03-2015, 10:39 PM
If this hypothetical transaction happens, I think we'd be lucky to get Steele. Consider that the last time we traded a National starter (yes, yes, we weren't *sure* he'd be a starter) who insisted on playing elsewhere the return was Akwasi Antwi.

Consdering Watson's age and his injury record in the last couple of years, I'd certainly want more.

ArgoRavi
06-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Consdering Watson's age and his injury record in the last couple of years, I'd certainly want more.

I would definitely want one of the younger receivers rather than a guy who has a history of missing half of the season.

OV Argo
06-03-2015, 11:36 PM
I would definitely want one of the younger receivers rather than a guy who has a history of missing half of the season.

So - would you trade Durie away? Watson has arguably shown more talent in the CFL than any of the other Esk NI receivers - big, tough receiver with good hands and known as a very good blocker too I believe. Coehoorn is very solid IMO and Chambers has the great speed and has flashed a bit of talent, but really hasn't had a lot of passes thrown his way; doubt the Esks would give up either of Coehoorn or Chambers; Bailey and Foster are appealing IMO - both big target guys and Foster had one pretty good CFL season where he showed he could get deep. ANY of those Esks NI receievers might easily be considered an upgrade over the likes of Adjei or Norzill that the Argos currently have; not sure the Argos are that interested in another starting NI receiver outside of Durie anyways; Coombs being considered an actual receiver other than as a Durie type hybrid is extremely questionable IMO.

Jon Gonzo
06-04-2015, 09:06 AM
So - would you trade Durie away? Watson has arguably shown more talent in the CFL than any of the other Esk NI receivers - big, tough receiver with good hands and known as a very good blocker too I believe. Coehoorn is very solid IMO and Chambers has the great speed and has flashed a bit of talent, but really hasn't had a lot of passes thrown his way; doubt the Esks would give up either of Coehoorn or Chambers; Bailey and Foster are appealing IMO - both big target guys and Foster had one pretty good CFL season where he showed he could get deep. ANY of those Esks NI receievers might easily be considered an upgrade over the likes of Adjei or Norzill that the Argos currently have; not sure the Argos are that interested in another starting NI receiver outside of Durie anyways; Coombs being considered an actual receiver other than as a Durie type hybrid is extremely questionable IMO.

Yeah, but you know the old saying when it comes to homegrown talent. I don't think the Argo's are done at Receiver, in both designations. Watch Ottawa. They'll have a couple good ones available, and Edmonton looks flush with good, big Canadian Receivers. If I were JB, I would try and get Cleyon to sign longterm now.
If not then............

doubleblue
06-04-2015, 10:55 AM

That was a bad trade, even if Federkeil had some doubts about playing again. Barker should have went for a conditional clause in the trade. I remember thinking at the time that maybe JB was kind of trying to appease Huffnagel after the Argos stole Chris Jones away from Calgary.
Trouble is the word gets around that Barker will let players like Federkeil go home cheap so to speak and other teams will try that angle as well.
Edmonton maybe tried that angle with Laing. Also wouldn't be surprised if Huffnagel wasn't trying to land McEwen by suggesting he use the back to school line to see if McEwen would drop to them at #9. IMO if Calgary had been able to Draft McEwen he would be with the Stamps and still go to school this year.
I'm such a suspicious character. :)

KCargosfan
06-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Edmonton should sign Kito Poblah and become the new Canadian Air Force.

paulwoods13
06-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Trouble is the word gets around that Barker will let players like Federkeil go home cheap so to speak and other teams will try that angle as well.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. It was a bad deal, for sure, and generous of Barker, but hardly indicative that he will do this again in other cases.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8