PDA

View Full Version : Kackert update?

Brian45
05-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Any word on Chad Kackert and his comeback attempt? Are the Argos looking at bringing him in?

gilthethrill
05-31-2015, 06:25 PM
In this case I fear no news is bad news in terms of Kackert rejoining the team.

AngeloV
05-31-2015, 06:58 PM
He was not at day 1 of TC.

Neely2005
05-31-2015, 07:00 PM
The last article that I saw about him was posted in This Thread:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2929-Will-Kackert-ever-return

Argocister
05-31-2015, 07:10 PM
According to Argos Twitter .....

Toronto Argonauts ‏@TorontoArgos
"Kackert is a FA but looked good at our mini-camp. Felt he still had some stuff to work on. We have RBs here that we like tho." - Jim Barker

HereComeTheIrish
05-31-2015, 07:44 PM
According to Argos Twitter .....

Toronto Argonauts ‏@TorontoArgos
"Kackert is a FA but looked good at our mini-camp. Felt he still had some stuff to work on. We have RBs here that we like tho." - Jim Barker

doesn't look good

doubleblue
05-31-2015, 07:54 PM
doesn't look good

Has this come down to maybe a money question like we are now hearing about Laing? Players and agents can read the news about the TSN/CFL TV extension and start to wonder if they are being short changed.

Wobbler
05-31-2015, 08:25 PM
After all the serious injuries Kackert is trying to come back from, why would you think this has anything to do with money?

paulwoods13
05-31-2015, 08:29 PM
For virtually every veteran player it is about money at some point. He knows that if healthy, he brings things to the table that others don't. If he feels he's healthy, he's gonna want a contract at least comparable to what he had before, which may be more than the team is willing to spend. He may also want some guaranteed money, and the team may want a contract with a games-played incentive.

Argo57
05-31-2015, 09:05 PM
For virtually every veteran player it is about money at some point. He knows that if healthy, he brings things to the table that others don't. If he feels he's healthy, he's gonna want a contract at least comparable to what he had before, which may be more than the team is willing to spend. He may also want some guaranteed money, and the team may want a contract with a games-played incentive.

This is a tough one Paul, sentiment aside not sure Kackert has much bargaining power if any.
Argos surely want to see what they have in TC before he becomes an option.

Wobbler
05-31-2015, 09:34 PM
I see no reason not to take Barker at his word here.

doubleblue
06-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Jim's word took in a lot of territory IMO. If Kack is healthy then it has to be about money, but I don't think he should or would be asking for guaranteed money. Maybe a signing bonus, which I guess is guaranteed in a round about way.

BTW I suspect the CFLPA might be doing a slow burn behind the scenes with the League crying poor during the negoiations and now signing an extension on the quiet. I don't believe there would be an extension without a healthy bump up in TV money from TSN. The players are locked into small salary cap raises while the owners are raking in most of the profits.

paulwoods13
06-01-2015, 08:52 AM
This is a tough one Paul, sentiment aside not sure Kackert has much bargaining power if any.
Argos surely want to see what they have in TC before he becomes an option.

As a guy who has barely played since 2012 and suffered two devastating injuries he has virtually no barg power. That may be why he's not in camp.

AngeloV
06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
I don't see how signing a TV extension has anything to do with player contracts at this point. It does nothing to change the signed CBA. We have no idea whether Kackert lost a step or not from his injury.

Jon Gonzo
06-01-2015, 09:14 AM
I think we all know Kackert's reputation. He is dying to play Football. His Twitter feed and attendance at the mini camp plainly display that.

He's no dummy either, so to me $ isn't on the list of concern.

Pretty simple here folks; Barker has seen plenty a RB's career ended by injury, and sadly that is a distinct possibility in this case also. He, no doubt, is concerned with Kack's health and ability to regain that burst he so made famous. Clearly he's got 3 other guys he wants to see first, and that is after the holdovers. Had Slaton reported, the chance gets even more remote. Chad, if he gets the opportunity, will have to convince the Argo's that he is healthy and ready -- if that day ever arrives. It could.

I say this as a huge Kackert fan, but the realities of Pro Football can be brutal at times.

AngeloV
06-01-2015, 10:21 AM
I think we all know Kackert's reputation. He is dying to play Football. His Twitter feed and attendance at the mini camp plainly display that.

Pretty simple here folks; Barker has seen plenty a RB's career ended by injury, and sadly that is a distinct possibility in this case also. He, no doubt, is concerned with Kack's health and ability to regain that burst he so made famous. Clearly he's got 3 other guys he wants to see first, and that is after the holdovers. Had Slaton reported, the chance gets even more remote. Chad, if he gets the opportunity, will have to convince the Argo's that he is healthy and ready -- if that day ever arrives. It could.

I say this as a huge Kackert fan, but the realities of Pro Football can be brutal at times.

Welcome to the site Jon Gonzo. Some very good observations and comments on your part.

Will
06-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Are you the same Jon Gonzo who used to work for Q107?

Jon Gonzo
06-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Indeed, and a lifelong Argo-CFL fan...now living in the Nations Capital enjoying the leagues resurrection here. Thanks for asking

Jon Gonzo
06-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Thanks AngeloV. Wishing the best for Kack

paulwoods13
06-01-2015, 02:01 PM

I agree with most of this as well, but what we don't know is what he thinks he's worth. Any player but especially any RB needs to get as much money as possible because careers are short and there are no guarantees. I could easily see Kackert -- despite being clearly a "character guy" -- declaring his value to be higher than Barker is willing to pay for a guy who has suffered two severe injuries in two seasons. If he was willing to come to camp for $60k (say) and was still turned down, then clearly it would mean JB and SM think he's done. But if he's willing to come for $120k (say), it may mean he's simply priced himself out of the market. Point is we just don't know.

AngeloV
06-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Are you the same Jon Gonzo who used to work for Q107?

Indeed, and a lifelong Argo-CFL fan...now living in the Nations Capital enjoying the leagues resurrection here. Thanks for asking

OMG, it's been so long since I've listened to the (no longer) mighty Q, that I didn't catch that connection. Nice catch af87.

Neely2005
06-01-2015, 02:12 PM
OMG, it's been so long since I've listened to the (no longer) mighty Q, that I didn't catch that connection. Nice catch af87.

I actually find that Q is better than ever now that they've expanded their Playlist to include the 90's too.

Jon Gonzo
06-01-2015, 02:43 PM
I actually find that Q is better than ever now that they've expanded their Playlist to include the 90's too.

And I take it Neely and I are members of two boards of the same interest, no?

mchesher03
06-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Jon Gonzo from the mighty Q107 great to see you on this board!! Long time Q107 listener here although I can't keep track of the on-air talent.

Brian45
06-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Yeah the Kack Attack was a favourite. I have a jersey I was hoping to put to good use again haha. If he's healthy and can get that burst of speed they would be crazy not to have him around. He's is an unknown right now for sure though.

1argoholic
06-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Here I was just thinking that the Jon Gonzo was a cool name and like a band member. Not a Q guy as I used to be a CFNY then Edge 102 guy but that goes back to 2002 when we moved west. I can't listen to radio now. ZERO of what I listen to hits the airwaves expect perhaps The Dropkick Murphy's, Offspring and Greenday. The three most mainstream bands I like. If you call that mainstream. More of a punk rock and roll guy then a flat out rock guy.

Anyhow welcome to the site.

Neely2005
06-02-2015, 12:44 PM
And I take it Neely and I are members of two boards of the same interest, no?

Most likely but you'll have to be more specific as I'm on a few message boards.
:-)

doubleblue
06-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Yeah the Kack Attack was a favourite. I have a jersey I was hoping to put to good use again haha. If he's healthy and can get that burst of speed they would be crazy not to have him around. He's is an unknown right now for sure though.

I really really hope Kack can make it back. The guy has some star power IMO besides his game talent. Argos need all of those guys they can find.
Never heard of Jon Gonzo but then I never listened to that noise, I mean music, but welcome to the site. You seem to have some football knowledge.

Jon Gonzo
06-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Bruins fans you and I (HF)

AngeloV
06-02-2015, 02:44 PM

OK, that's enough of being nice to you...LOL.

Neely2005
06-02-2015, 03:50 PM

Yes that's me. You obviously have very good taste in sports teams.

Jon Gonzo
06-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Yes that's me. You obviously have very good taste in sports teams.

My handle is Duguay on that site, ha ha

ArgoRavi
06-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Ah, who can forget those flowing locks of hair?

Neely2005
06-02-2015, 06:54 PM

Oh okay, we've spoken many times then. We've both been there for awhile.

Jon Gonzo
06-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Oh okay, we've spoken many times then. We've both been there for awhile.

I learned of the HF Boards after another Board shut down, and many of us migrated over in around 1999. It was great, but several years ago after the Cup win, I feel it was deluged by kids and pom-pom wavers, so my participation has wavered. I like frank, knowledgeable, objective chatter when it comes to my sports (;

Neely2005
06-03-2015, 11:58 AM
I learned of the HF Boards after another Board shut down, and many of us migrated over in around 1999. It was great, but several years ago after the Cup win, I feel it was deluged by kids and pom-pom wavers, so my participation has wavered. I like frank, knowledgeable, objective chatter when it comes to my sports (;

Yeah it's definitely not what it once was. I mainly find myself on the Page 2 Forums of HF these days.

Wobbler
06-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Terry Koshan's post-fan day article (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/06/for-argonautss-pretty-good-qb-wont-do) makes it pretty clear that Kackert thinks he can play and is hoping for a call. It seems like we're happy with the guys we have now, but if someone gets hurt...

gilthethrill
06-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Terry Koshan's post-fan day article (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/06/for-argonautss-pretty-good-qb-wont-do) makes it pretty clear that Kackert thinks he can play and is hoping for a call. It seems like we're happy with the guys we have now, but if someone gets hurt...

Why would Kackert be hanging around in Toronto? Something must be brewing...no?

Argocister
06-07-2015, 11:23 PM
I'd love to keep Kackert in our back pocket ....the RB in Edmonton was seen on crutches today ..... Hopefully Jones forgot about Kack!

doubleblue
06-07-2015, 11:30 PM
I think we should have started a "we want Kack" chant at the Fan Day yesterday. I was just watching those 2012 playoffs again and there was no doubt Kackert was the difference maker beside being MVP in the Grey Cup. This new guy Josey looks good but he's coming off some major injury as well. Money must be the big hold up.

Will
06-08-2015, 09:31 AM
I was thinking that money might be a possibility or simply the coaching staff and Kackert have different perspectives as to how much progress he's made health-wise. Chad was certainly the difference in the 2012 playoffs, he rushed for the winning touchdown against Montreal in the Eastern Final and, of course, rushed for 100+ yards in the Grey Cup.

Rich
06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
I This new guy Josey looks good but he's coming off some major injury as well.

Josey blew out his knee 4 years ago in 2011. He came back better than ever. I'm looking forward to him lighting it up at Varsity, especially since Curtis Steele tweaked something on the weekend and may not play that much.

Wobbler
06-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Looks like a job for Kackert may have opened up in Edmonton.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8