PDA

View Full Version : Grey Cup payment policy

matthew
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else a bit angry that we are to pay in full for GC seats by the first week of April, almost 8 months before the actual game?

I just got the call from the Argos telling me that if I want my seat and the two others I have the option for, I need to pay in full by the first week of April.

I really wanted to upgrade my seats to Double Blue but I know of no one at tax/RRSP time that can pay me close to $500 for a football ticket. So with this policy, I am still going to move my seat but where I was bringing friends or family members to the game, now I am not because they won't be able to afford it and I can't float the money for them on my own until they can.

I am sorry but this really upsets me. Can someone tell me why do they need full payment now? Why can't there be a deposit with a pre-authorized payment plan just like seasons?

1argoholic
02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
If Argo season seat holders don't want the tickets they want to sell them to those who'll buy them. Plus they can take your money and have it work for them in some sort of account. haha. Perhaps they can make money towards a new stadium.

matthew
02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
its not that I don't want them...I do. But I think its premature to ask for it when people are making RRSP contris and/or prepping to pay the taxman for a product 8 months away.

I'd be happier about having some time by going on a monthly withdrawl plan.

This way means I won't be introducing my friends to the Argos and CFL at the moment the league shines it brightest because no one has that sort of dough to toss around this time of year. Many still paying off final xmas bills too.

Area 51
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Looks like this is going to be a bit of a dint in the credit card.

matchuk
02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
wow....i have not received a call yet, but do also think its total bs....

matthew
03-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Well 97 views and no other opinions on this. I guess everyone expects a refund this year and I am a crackpot!

Mulder
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I'll send an email as well. I also think there should be a payment policy for the Argos season ticket holders. Especially since They allowed some of us to order a heck of alot. (myself - 12 tickets), That means it'll be $1800 at the very least when payment comes due.

johnnyice
03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Why can't there be a deposit with a pre-authorized payment plan just like seasons?

The pre-authorized payment plan must be for returning season ticket holders only . Paying in full by April is odd ; they must need the money to float the GC festival , etc .

argotom
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
It does add up, we had to pay the full 2012 season tickets last yeat and now this for the GC.

Argocister
03-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Guess this is why the office is trying to get ahold of me..... yikes. I remember when putting a down payment on them last fall that they said we would have to confirm by this spring. I didn't realize it was payment in full. Better start checking on those friends that said they wanted tickets.
Logically if they are going to release tickets not claimed, to the rest of the world, then they do need to know ahead of time.
This will be my first Grey Cup so I was unfamiliar with the process. C'est la vie......

matthew
03-16-2012, 10:22 AM
I sent this message to Chris Rudge when I got that email. Out of respect for Chris, I won't publish his response but he did in fact respond to me personally.

"Thanks for your email. I have already brought aboard two people for this season from last years referral program so I will be looking forward to my on-field seats this year!

That brings me to the somwhat negative stuff.

One question I had as an ST holder Chris was this. Why do you require full payment of Grey Cup tickets and the options on the other ones 7 months ahead of the game and more notably, at tax time?

I was planning on upgrading my seats for Grey Cup and inviting some friends to join me but they can't afford $500+ at this time of year for a product not coming for months and I can't afford to pay for my seat in full and the options on the others at this time either. Is it not possible to give season ticket holders a payment plan for GC tickets?

If that is not possible, I would have liked some emails starting from the end of last season saying "Matt, just a heads up. We're gonna need your full payment in April for your seasons and your GC tickets. So you might be best to put $50 away here and $100 over the next few months so you're ready when you get the call from us looking for your support. Also, if you're thinking of inviting people, let them know this so they can adequately prepare as well."

Instead, I get a call with no prior warning saying "Matt, you want your GC seats and the ones for your friends you wanted to bring, well you and your kind got 3 weeks to pay." This completely killed my own and my friends plan to get the Double Blue seats for the game of the century and bring about 6 friends and family members to the game. I don't have $1500 right now and they don't have $500 on such short notice.

The result of all this is I will be loosing my two seat options to someone from out of town who cares for another team and who packs up and leaves when the game is over. What you could have had instead is, thanks to ample notice, seats being sold passionately by an ambassador of Argo and CFL football in Toronto (not a common position in this town) to someone that lives around here that may have had a good enough time where they might consider becoming an ST holder for 2013 when the fanfare of 2012 is just a memory.

Also, a comment.

I recall back when I became a season ticket holder the option to pay up until March or so for season tickets. Now, I am asked for money in November and December at Christmas time when money is going towards friends and family just so I can get a cheaper price and qualify for some draws I know I won't win.

Well to tell you the truth, perhaps unlike most people, I don't want a cheaper ticket price, I want to win games which I'll get to in a moment.

What I don't like about this is that it insults my long time and consistent renewal record and in my mind its a penalty for not being a person who at the holiday season, to have loads of cash where I can pay for my football tickets in full in keeping with your timetable and buy presents for all at the same time. I only have so much to give at this time of year. Besides, shouldn't it be about the fans timetable?

What would I like to see? Well, why not offer a program where if one has been a ST holder for 3+ years where they have shown consistent support the team and will likely continue to do so (good times and bad and we both know recently its more bad), that they have more time (something none of us has enough of) to pay rather than offering a money discount.

Remember I said I don't want cheaper tickets what I want is to win games? I'd rather the team got the full amount from every fan to pay for better players etc. or a new practise facility and I bet that most long-time season ticket holders would feel the same way. The discounts likely only attract those who may jump on board this year but will be quick to leave if you don't give them the discount the next.

More importantly, the discount cheapens the name Argonauts. I'd rather sit beside someone this season is there because he/she loves the team and had no issue paying a fair ticket price than a fan who says "Well the price was so cheap so I said to myself, why the hell not renew?". I am in my seat every game because I love the team, not because the team is a cheap date for an evening or it kills time.

Anyway, don't expect I'll get a reply which won't upset me, I know your busy. Hopefully I can shake your hands when I am sitting in my on-field seats and thank you for your work keeping this league alive in this pathetic sports city."

T-Bone
03-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I sent this message to Chris Rudge when I got that email. Out of respect for Chris, I won't publish his response but he did in fact respond to me personally.Did any of your issues get resolved?

argonaut11xx
03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
sorry...but i think its a GOOD move by the CFL Grey Cup commitee especially in Toronto.
They want to announce a SELL-OUT, a real, paid for sell out. Otherwise the anti CFL Toronto media would feast on it.

If you ordered a bunch of tickets, then you should be able to pay for what you requested.

Its the Grey Cup,..... not the Brick -buy now pay later

Mulder
03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I sent this message to Chris Rudge when I got that email. Out of respect for Chris, I won't publish his response but he did in fact respond to me personally.

"Thanks for your email. I have already brought aboard two people for this season from last years referral program so I will be looking forward to my on-field seats this year!

That brings me to the somwhat negative stuff.

One question I had as an ST holder Chris was this. Why do you require full payment of Grey Cup tickets and the options on the other ones 7 months ahead of the game and more notably, at tax time?

I was planning on upgrading my seats for Grey Cup and inviting some friends to join me but they can't afford $500+ at this time of year for a product not coming for months and I can't afford to pay for my seat in full and the options on the others at this time either. Is it not possible to give season ticket holders a payment plan for GC tickets?

If that is not possible, I would have liked some emails starting from the end of last season saying "Matt, just a heads up. We're gonna need your full payment in April for your seasons and your GC tickets. So you might be best to put $50 away here and $100 over the next few months so you're ready when you get the call from us looking for your support. Also, if you're thinking of inviting people, let them know this so they can adequately prepare as well."

Instead, I get a call with no prior warning saying "Matt, you want your GC seats and the ones for your friends you wanted to bring, well you and your kind got 3 weeks to pay." This completely killed my own and my friends plan to get the Double Blue seats for the game of the century and bring about 6 friends and family members to the game. I don't have $1500 right now and they don't have $500 on such short notice.

The result of all this is I will be loosing my two seat options to someone from out of town who cares for another team and who packs up and leaves when the game is over. What you could have had instead is, thanks to ample notice, seats being sold passionately by an ambassador of Argo and CFL football in Toronto (not a common position in this town) to someone that lives around here that may have had a good enough time where they might consider becoming an ST holder for 2013 when the fanfare of 2012 is just a memory.

Also, a comment.

I recall back when I became a season ticket holder the option to pay up until March or so for season tickets. Now, I am asked for money in November and December at Christmas time when money is going towards friends and family just so I can get a cheaper price and qualify for some draws I know I won't win.

Well to tell you the truth, perhaps unlike most people, I don't want a cheaper ticket price, I want to win games which I'll get to in a moment.

What I don't like about this is that it insults my long time and consistent renewal record and in my mind its a penalty for not being a person who at the holiday season, to have loads of cash where I can pay for my football tickets in full in keeping with your timetable and buy presents for all at the same time. I only have so much to give at this time of year. Besides, shouldn't it be about the fans timetable?

What would I like to see? Well, why not offer a program where if one has been a ST holder for 3+ years where they have shown consistent support the team and will likely continue to do so (good times and bad and we both know recently its more bad), that they have more time (something none of us has enough of) to pay rather than offering a money discount.

Remember I said I don't want cheaper tickets what I want is to win games? I'd rather the team got the full amount from every fan to pay for better players etc. or a new practise facility and I bet that most long-time season ticket holders would feel the same way. The discounts likely only attract those who may jump on board this year but will be quick to leave if you don't give them the discount the next.

More importantly, the discount cheapens the name Argonauts. I'd rather sit beside someone this season is there because he/she loves the team and had no issue paying a fair ticket price than a fan who says "Well the price was so cheap so I said to myself, why the hell not renew?". I am in my seat every game because I love the team, not because the team is a cheap date for an evening or it kills time.

Anyway, don't expect I'll get a reply which won't upset me, I know your busy. Hopefully I can shake your hands when I am sitting in my on-field seats and thank you for your work keeping this league alive in this pathetic sports city."

My suggestion? Don't post your complaint email, without posting the response.

matthew
03-17-2012, 12:58 AM
I have no problem paying in full at the time they wanted the money which I clearly say here. I would have liked time to save up for for it and advance warning that would be the policy. I am not looking for tickets today without paying a dime...that should be clear.

And sure Mulder, I see your point about my points and apparently so may Mr. Rudge.

"You have raised some excellent points and by copy of this message, I will ask our Vice-President of Ticket Sales and Service, Daniel Steinfeld, to review your comments and discuss them with me at our upcoming executive management team meeting. There may be alternatives, as you have suggested, that we can consider.

Thank you again, your support and comments are much appreciated."

Mulder
03-17-2012, 07:31 AM
I have no problem paying in full at the time they wanted the money which I clearly say here. I would have liked time to save up for for it and advance warning that would be the policy. I am not looking for tickets today without paying a dime...that should be clear.

And sure Mulder, I see your point about my points and apparently so may Mr. Rudge.

"You have raised some excellent points and by copy of this message, I will ask our Vice-President of Ticket Sales and Service, Daniel Steinfeld, to review your comments and discuss them with me at our upcoming executive management team meeting. There may be alternatives, as you have suggested, that we can consider.

Thank you again, your support and comments are much appreciated."

Thanks, I'm not saying I don't agree with you, it's just that we'd like to know if they are looking into it as well.

matchuk
03-17-2012, 09:37 PM
i emailed this sr account exec back on march 1st and have still not received anything to confirm my tickets....this is too mickey mouse

Will
03-18-2012, 12:45 PM
i emailed this sr account exec back on march 1st and have still not received anything to confirm my tickets....this is too mickey mouse

Try giving him a call--I did so on Friday and was able to put down my deposits.

ArgoGabe22
03-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Did anyone else get this call/message? I ordered my tickets but never heard from the Argos that my payment must be made soon.

Argocister
03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
The office was trying to get ahold of me for about a week. When I finally got back to them, they were confirming that I still wanted all the tickets I had requested. ( my seasons plus extras) So she told me that my seasons tickets will be confirmed seats and that for the extra tickets, once all the confirmed seasons tickets are set, then she can let me know what and where is available for the extra tickets in April. That is when I will have to pay when they know what and where is available and that I like where the extras are located. .... Glad I'm not organizing this

T-Bone
03-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Did anyone else get this call/message? I ordered my tickets but never heard from the Argos that my payment must be made soon.
I renewed my season ticket and put down a deposit on my 3 Grey Cup tickets before the early bird draw. I haven't received a call or e-mail since.

argomANIA
03-19-2012, 08:20 AM

I received an email from my ticket rep about two weeks ago. And my husban received a call also. We have separate accounts so that we can get two gifts. lol

7dj83r8f78t4alf8