View Full Version : Canadian QBs Shine in Preseason Spotlight

jerrym
06-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Three Canadian QBs have survived the first cuts: the Als' Brandon Bridge, Calgary's Andrew Buckley and Winnipeg's Jordan Yantz.
Two of them played in the first pre-season games and did well.

Buckley played the majority of the third quarter in Calgary’s 20-6 win over the BC Lions on Friday night. Suiting up for his hometown team in his university stadium eased a lot of the pressure Buckley had on him. He added in a post-game interview that he was able to sleep in his own bed and eat his mom’s cooking before the game.
“It was just good to be able to drive down the field and keep drives going,” Buckley said. “They eventually ended up in points that helped us win so it was cool to contribute that way.”
The last pick in the draft had participated in the Stamps’ quarterback internship program in training camp the year before and was familiar with some of their systems. He finished the game 8 of 10 for 72 yards and rushed two yards.
Bridge, meanwhile, also led his team to victory. Going 4 of 8 for 52 yards, he added a touchdown pass to Brandon Rutley in the win. In the second half, he drove the Als downfield on a six play drive that Chris Rainey punched in for a score.
For Yantz, it remains to be seen if he will make the Bombers final roster. After going undrafted, the ex-Manitoba Bison signed a free agent deal with his hometown team and was brought into training camp. Like Buckley, he participated his team's internship program last year.
Teams often play many of their depth players during the first pre-season game. However, Yantz failed to see the field and may not get any snaps during the second exhibition tilt as coaches opt for more minutes towards their starters and veterans. Because of Yantz’s spot on the depth chart it seems unlikely he will get much time, if any.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/canadian-quarterbacks-shine-in-the-pre-season-spotlight

jerrym
06-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Montreal Alouettes QB Brandon Bridge, who is from Mississauga, is hoping to make CFL history as the first Black Canadian QB to start in CFL history.

It’s too early to tell if the 23-year-old product of St. Marcellinus Secondary School can one day become a CFL starting quarterback, but he has a believer in Montreal general manager Jim Popp.

“I drafted him because I think he has the talent to be starter in the CFL,” Popp said. “He’s got something special. He’s going to be fun to watch.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2015/06/17/montreal-alouettes-qb-brandon-bridge-hoping-to-make-cfl-history.html

jerrym
06-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Taking it all in: Buckley a sponge at Stamps camp

“Hanging out with these players and coaches has certainly been teaching me a lot,” said Buckley, a graduate of Calgary’s Rundle College.
“It’s shown me what’s at the next level and it’s been an awesome learning experience so far.” ...

“I’m just trying to be a sponge whenever I’m with them and take in whatever I can. Hopefully I can learn some things to take back to CIS with me.” ...

He noted that the difference between CIS and the CFL is just as much mental as it is physical. ...

“The players just aren’t this big (in CIS),” said Buckley. “You have to make your reads so much quicker and just process things a lot faster here.”

http://www.cfl.ca/article/taking-it-all-in-buckley-a-sponge-at-stamps-camp

jerrym
06-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Buckley has a hand in Calgary Stampeders' 20-6 pre-season win over B.C. Lions

Andrew Buckley felt right at home in his first professional football game because he was a Canadian university star in the same stadium.The 21-year-old quarterback, who won the Hec Crighton Award last year playing for his hometown University of Calgary Dinos, started the second quarter of the Calgary Stampeders' pre-season game against the B.C. Lions on Friday.
Buckley marshalled the offence for a pair of third-quarter field goals in the Stampeders' 20-6 win over the visiting Lions at McMahon Stadium."I've spent so many hours on this field that it's kind of like a second home to me," Buckley said. "It was good to be able to drive down the field and keep drives going and they eventually ended up in points to help us win. It's cool to contribute that way.""It was an awesome experience I'll remember for the rest of my life."
Buckley finished 8-for-10 in passing for 72 yards.

http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/breaking-news/calgary-stampeders-get-past-bc-lions-20-6-in-cfl-pre-season-game-307243361.html?thx=y

jerrym
06-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Andrew Buckley has decided to return to school for 2015.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/making-moves-tracking-team-cuts-as-rosters-get-trimmed

jerrym
06-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Not surprisingly, Jordan Yantz, who did not play a down in a pre-season game, was cut by the Bombers.

Jordan Yantz, who had an exceptional career with the University of Manitoba Bisons, never did find traction as the Bombers fifth QB in training camp. He never did see any pre-season action.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Blue-Bombers-trim-down-to-final-roster-308740431.html

jerrym
06-20-2015, 07:32 PM
double post

jerrym
07-03-2015, 04:41 PM
It's still up in the air whether Bridge will have tonight a historic first start for a Canadian Black quarterback in the CFL and the first by any Canadian since 1996 but his performance in the preseason should be good enough to give him the start over Cato.

ArgoRavi
07-03-2015, 06:19 PM
It's still up in the air whether Bridge will have tonight a historic first start for a Canadian Black quarterback in the CFL and the first by any Canadian since 1996 but his performance in the preseason should be good enough to give him the start over Cato.

I wouldn't say that Bridge was head and shoulders above Cato in the preseason: "He (Cato) played somewhat sparingly in Montreal’s exhibition games, completing all six of his attempts for 87 yards and a touchdown against Ottawa, then going one-for-three against Toronto for nine yards."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/herb-zurkowsky-facing-qb-injury-woes-alouettes-must-rely-on-defence-more-than-ever

jerrym
07-03-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm disappointed that this historic oportunity didn't occur. However, Higgins did say they would both play so if Bridge does well, hopefully he'll get an opportunity in the future.

jerrym
07-03-2015, 07:56 PM
With Cato scoring a TD early, Bridge's chances in this game may be limited.

AngeloV
07-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Cato has looked great. I wouldn't change. He's already the best QB they've had since AC.

OV Argo
07-03-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm disappointed that this historic oportunity didn't occur. However, Higgins did say they would both play so if Bridge does well, hopefully he'll get an opportunity in the future.

Bridge already broke the so-called "historic" moment by being the 1st Canadian QB to play a meaningful down in the CFL in close to 20 years (since 96) - so, he didn't start though, and the CFL could go for another 20 years without dem inferior Canadians getting a start at QB

jerrym
07-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Bridge didn't even get an opportunity at the with 32 seconds left and a three score left to kill the clock. Sounds familiar.

R.J
07-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Dunigan was asked my Miller last night why we don't see Canadian Qb's, Dunigan's answer was something along the lines of "they never get a legitimate shot and coaches have preconceived notions that they're not good enough." Dunigan also stated that he'd like to see one of the top 3 QB spots become a Canadian, doubt we'll ever see that happen. IIRC Jim Barker a couple years ago was pushing to have Canadian QB's count on the ratio, essentially eliminating the QB exception rule.

ArgoRavi
07-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Let's take the fact that Bridge is Canadian out of the equation at the moment. You have two rookie QBs. One has all of the "measurables" that many scouts love like a strong arm, good size, etc. but he is a 50% passer at the NCAA level and his teams have not been much above .500. You have another QB who doesn't have the "measurables" but has only ever won wherever he has played, including at the NCAA level, and has been a prolific passer. Who do you go with? Higgins went with the latter tonight and it paid off for him.

jerrym
07-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Cato's passes get to the receiver fast and have good rotation, much better than Crompton's so he may even end up number one. However, Higgins seems to be following the Trestman approach of not using his backups unless the qb gets injured. Works great as long as the #1 doesn't get injured or gets injured in meaningless play and your left with someone with no experience.

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Dunigan was asked my Miller last night why we don't see Canadian Qb's, Dunigan's answer was something along the lines of "they never get a legitimate shot and coaches have preconceived notions that they're not good enough." Dunigan also stated that he'd like to see one of the top 3 QB spots become a Canadian, doubt we'll ever see that happen. IIRC Jim Barker a couple years ago was pushing to have Canadian QB's count on the ratio, essentially eliminating the QB exception rule.

Dunigan - an American - has been outspoken (in the past) about Canadian QBs not getting a fair shot - AND - he actually did something about it when he had the power as GM AND HC of the Stamps by signing and dressing Canadian QB (Tommy Dension) - Dunigan knew of and worked out Dension and liked what he saw and put his money where his mouth was. A lot of people just do NOT get how significant the mind-sets of CFL decision makers are on this subject. Guys who are ignorant of or per-determine that Canadian QBs are inferior should not be expected to draft or sign them to give them a real TC shot to compete. It's IMO close to laughable that Ravi is lauding the Als decision to start Cato because he was a winning, accurate passing QB, yet he has zero explanation for the CFL totally over-looking an outstanding winning, accurate passing QB in Cousineau from the Carabins last year ??? Not that I should be surprised or anything. Anybody read Yantz's comments about his suppposed Bomber QB try-out? - and with Canadian decision makers in place there? - the guys who put a total stiff like Brohm in last game? It will take another Duingan or better yet a Teddy Morris type to be in total control of a CFL team to see several Canadian QBs get real shots to play - a lot of people just don`t get that.

ArgoRavi
07-04-2015, 12:46 AM
Dunigan - an American - has been outspoken (in the past) about Canadian QBs not getting a fair shot - AND - he actually did something about it when he had the power as GM AND HC of the Stamps by signing and dressing Canadian QB (Tommy Dension) - Dunigan knew of and worked out Dension and liked what he saw and put his money where his mouth was. A lot of people just do NOT get how significant the mind-sets of CFL decision makers are on this subject. Guys who are ignorant of or per-determine that Canadian QBs are inferior should not be expected to draft or sign them to give them a real TC shot to compete. It's IMO close to laughable that Ravi is lauding the Als decision to start Cato because he was a winning, accurate passing QB, yet he has zero explanation for the CFL totally over-looking an outstanding winning, accurate passing QB in Cousineau from the Carabins last year ??? Not that I should be surprised or anything. Anybody read Yantz's comments about his suppposed Bomber QB try-out? - and with Canadian decision makers in place there? - the guys who put a total stiff like Brohm in last game? It will take another Duingan or better yet a Teddy Morris type to be in total control of a CFL team to see several Canadian QBs get real shots to play - a lot of people just don`t get that.

Marc-Olivier Brouillette even said the other day that comparing NCAA QBs with CIS ones is like comparing apples and oranges. I was comparing apples with apples - Cato's NCAA performance with Bridge's and Cato's was far superior. That doesn't mean that Bridge can't develop into a competent CFL QB and people shouldn't feel threatened that Cato's performance on Friday night spells the end of Bridge's CFL career.

argolio
07-04-2015, 02:34 AM
Bridge didn't even get an opportunity at the with 32 seconds left and a three score left to kill the clock. Sounds familiar.Letting a rookie QB about to win his first start close out the game versus three useless kneel downs for Bridge. I think any coach would choose the first option.

paulwoods13
07-04-2015, 09:02 AM
May I humbly suggest that we all not assume Cato is a star QB based on one performance? Marvin Graves, anyone?

Same goes for Harris, by the way. He was fantastic last week and I have a lot of faith in him continuing to develop into a starter and possibly even a star, but it is way too early to anoint him the man and to suggest that Ricky Ray (a proven star if ever there was one) be jettisoned at the earliest available opportunity.

argolio
07-04-2015, 03:19 PM
May I humbly suggest that we all not assume Cato is a star QB based on one performance? Marvin Graves, anyone?

Same goes for Harris, by the way. He was fantastic last week and I have a lot of faith in him continuing to develop into a starter and possibly even a star, but it is way too early to anoint him the man and to suggest that Ricky Ray (a proven star if ever there was one) be jettisoned at the earliest available opportunity.Paul, suggest it all you want, but just don't expect it to happen in this instant gratification world.

jerrym
07-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Redblacks’ Burris laments lack of homegrown QBs

“Opposed to the hundreds of Americans who come up here, why not give a Canadian a chance?” asked Burris, following a walk-through for today’s game against the B.C. Lions at TD Place Stadium.
“What’s the difference? These Americans — five or six of them — come up here every year and just don’t pan out. So why not give a kid who understands and knows this game the same opportunity? If he has the tools, and adjusts to the speed of the game, he can play just as well as any American can.” ...
Tell it to Brad Sinopoli. The Hec Crighton Trophy winner from the University of Ottawa was the Calgary Stampeders’ third-string quarterback in 2011, suiting up for all 18 games and demonstrating in practice what a talented athlete he is.
“I thought he would have been a great quarterback,” said Burris, who began Sinopoli’s rookie year as the Stampeders’ starter. “He’s a student of the game, able to assess and transmit knowledge fast and know where the ball should be going. Plus, he’s fast as heck. Strong arm, great touch. He still thinks like a quarterback. When he says something to you, he breaks the play down just like a quarterback. Not many receivers can do that.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Redblacks+Burris+laments+lack+homegrown/11187340/story.html

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Redblacks’ Burris laments lack of homegrown QBs

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Redblacks+Burris+laments+lack+homegrown/11187340/story.html

Why would Henry say that Canadian QBs don't get the "same opportunity"? - Buckley, Yantz and Bridge got CFL shots this year and Bridge made the Als roster and got to play already.

Sinopoli looks very good as a possession receiver for Ottawa - showed it with the Stumps too - big target with good hands and hard to tackle - always seems to get a few YAC yards - real nice transition from QB to quality receiver. I guess he is way more valuable to them as a starting receiver than as a back-up QB; but still - I believe he could easily be their #2 QB there if given a real chance.

jerrym
07-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Why would Henry say that Canadian QBs don't get the "same opportunity"? - Buckley, Yantz and Bridge got CFL shots this year and Bridge made the Als roster and got to play already.

He's talking historically, not just this year, as evidenced by the words "These Americans — five or six of them — come up here every year and just don’t pan out."

and by his discussion of what happened to Sinopoli as a qb. I have the feeling he sees the same thing happening to Canadians that happened to Black qbs - there is an orientation toward believing they cannot do it, therefore they have to quickly show that they are better than the international recruits to overcome this unconscious bias.

OV Argo
07-05-2015, 10:00 AM
He's talking historically, not just this year, as evidenced by the words "These Americans — five or six of them — come up here every year and just don’t pan out."

and by his discussion of what happened to Sinopoli as a qb. I have the feeling he sees the same thing happening to Canadians that happened to Black qbs - there is an orientation toward believing they cannot do it, therefore they have to quickly show that they are better than the international recruits to overcome this unconscious bias.

Yeah - I was joking or being facetious with that last post.

The NFL slowly, gradually overcame the bias/prejudiuce against black QBs; but that situation was based on something as noxious as racism. The CFL situtation (Bridge being the 1st Canadian QB to play a meaningful down in the CFL in almost 20 years) is IMO more deeply entrenched and accepted than the NFL situation was (very few black QBs played from say the 60s to into the early 80s, but the odd one did get some playing time = not 20 years). And there is no ugly racism behind the CFL current situation - just polite Canadians being told they aren't "good enough"; and very little public outcry about the situation - the odd media comment (but mostly obedient acceptance from CFL "reporters" as seen in comments by the likes of that clown Naylor), and the discussion comes up on the various CFL fan forums every year - with the same cliched responses. Don\t see the CFL situation changing anytime soon = same old / same old - who knows, who cares.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8