PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Ray 6-gamed

Will
06-16-2015, 08:56 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> signed RB Lyle McCombs and placed QB Ricky Ray on the 6-game injured list this morning. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="http://t.co/QUsmzMEAwZ">pic.twitter.com/QUsmzMEAwZ</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/610767939256643584">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rich
06-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Just exactly as I predicted. There was no long-term plan to bring McPherson in. Ricky had a setback and it changed their whole QB game plan. Now the question becomes, as D-Gap Willie says, will Ricky return at all this season?

Wobbler
06-16-2015, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure how much this really tells us. If we're sure he'll miss at least a couple of games (which has been made clear), it would make sense to put him on the six for cap reasons and take him off early if he's ready.

Wobbler
06-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Also:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ran &amp; spec teams leader Curtis Steele on crutches today after an ankle injury Monday, which is why McCombs is back <a href="https://t.co/qJ5KcAlXg8">https://t.co/qJ5KcAlXg8</a></p>&mdash; Matthew Scianitti (@TSNScianitti) <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/610812899292901376">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
06-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Barker is speaking on 1050 right now. He says that everything is going according to plan and that they are projecting that Ricky could be available for game 4.

Fumblitis
06-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Well at least Zicarelli will be happy as it has become so obvious that Ricky Ray was not ready that Milo shouldn't have to field any stupid questions regarding the matter.

AngeloV
06-16-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure how much this really tells us. If we're sure he'll miss at least a couple of games (which has been made clear), it would make sense to put him on the six for cap reasons and take him off early if he's ready.

LOL..Cap reasons? The budget is still Braley's this year. I don't think they are in any danger of going over the cap.

I do agree though that it is no big deal and that it changes nothing.

Wobbler
06-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Regarding Steele, Zicarelli describes the injury as "slight" (http://www.portagedailygraphic.com/2015/06/15/argos-isaac-older-but-better). It's possible that McCombs won't stick around for long after Thursday.

paulwoods13
06-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Just exactly as I predicted. There was no long-term plan to bring McPherson in. Ricky had a setback and it changed their whole QB game plan. Now the question becomes, as D-Gap Willie says, will Ricky return at all this season?

A predictable response. You are reaching several conclusions -- or should I say have already reached several conclusions -- based on speculation in line with your off-stated belief that the Argos should have jettisoned Ray and kept Collaros. If RR is in the lineup by August 1 will you come on here to say you were wrong?

Fumblitis
06-16-2015, 11:18 PM
If they've six gamed him, how is he back for week 4? And are they really gonna rush him back that fast.

ArgoRavi
06-16-2015, 11:44 PM
If they've six gamed him, how is he back for week 4? And are they really gonna rush him back that fast.

They can pull him off of the 6 game list early if they want. Going by what the Argos have been saying all along, being ready for Game 4 or 5 sounds about right. His salary would then count towards the cap for the first four games if they do this but, as AngeloV suggests, the Argos will probably have a fair bit of room under the cap anyway this season.

Rich
06-17-2015, 12:48 AM
A predictable response. You are reaching several conclusions -- or should I say have already reached several conclusions -- based on speculation in line with your off-stated belief that the Argos should have jettisoned Ray and kept Collaros. If RR is in the lineup by August 1 will you come on here to say you were wrong?

Collaros has nothing to do with this. These are the facts: The Argos signed Blake Sims to compete with Kilgore for the developmental QB slot. This plan got scuttled when it became clear Ricky's recovery was going slower than anticipated, creating the need to sign an experienced CFL backup. The need to sign McPherson was the reason Sims had to go. This is the only conclusion I am making. Do you disagree with it?

AngeloV
06-17-2015, 01:54 PM
The need to sign McPherson was the reason Sims had to go. This is the only conclusion I am making. Do you disagree with it?

I disagree with it. The reason Sims was let go was because he even struggled throwing the ball with any accuracy during 1 on 1's in TC.

Rich
06-17-2015, 04:02 PM
I disagree with it. The reason Sims was let go was because he even struggled throwing the ball with any accuracy during 1 on 1's in TC.

What if Sims had lit it up in TC? They still had to release somebody to accommodate the veteran QB they suddenly needed. Would they have released Kilgore without even giving him a chance to play in a preseason game?

AngeloV
06-17-2015, 04:57 PM
What if Sims had lit it up in TC? They still had to release somebody to accommodate the veteran QB they suddenly needed. Would they have released Kilgore without even giving him a chance to play in a preseason game?

If he had lit it up, he would still be there, and someone else would have been released. That is the nature of pro sports. Timing is everything. Good players get released and then flourish somewhere else all the time. Hopefully, Sims will get an opportunity again, but in his short time here, he showed the least. Plain and simple.

ArgoRavi
06-17-2015, 10:13 PM

I know that you think highly of Sims, Rich, but if the Argos thought the same about him, they would have found a way to keep him right now. Maybe he will turn out to be star somewhere else but the Argos obviously feel that Harris, Gale and Kilgore are all better than Sims.

Argocister
06-17-2015, 10:37 PM
From what I have read .... Sims was brought in to compete ... but at the time he was brought in McPherson was injured. So bring the college star in and see how he makes out and competes. Obviously not outstanding, but I wouldn't doubt Barker keeps his contacts. Once McPherson was healthy and playing .... we switched to the veteran QB .... less risk in the long run. If Harris get banged up for a game, I'd rather have McPherson with Kilgore and Gale than Sims.

I don't mind him on the 6 game .... specially if they plan to get him off if he is ready earlier. Plus it's true what Milanovich said , it keeps the media at bay without always asking the same questions .... Although that may be too optimistic. Shall we monitor how many times it will be asked .... Hows Ricky doing?

I just pray that it won't be a Lulay type scenario.... out for the year and then setbacks. I'd rather Ricky end his career with 2 or 3 straight Grey Cup wins!

Neely2005
06-17-2015, 10:37 PM
They can pull him off of the 6 game list early if they want. Going by what the Argos have been saying all along, being ready for Game 4 or 5 sounds about right. His salary would then count towards the cap for the first four games if they do this but, as AngeloV suggests, the Argos will probably have a fair bit of room under the cap anyway this season.

Question, do preseason games count towards the 6 games?

From what I have read .... Sims was brought in to compete ... but at the time he was brought in McPherson was injured. So bring the college star in and see how he makes out and competes. Obviously not outstanding, but I wouldn't doubt Barker keeps his contacts. Once McPherson was healthy and playing .... we switched to the veteran QB .... less risk in the long run. If Harris get banged up for a game, I'd rather have McPherson with Kilgore and Gale than Sims.

I don't mind him on the 6 game .... specially if they plan to get him off if he is ready earlier. Plus it's true what Milanovich said , it keeps the media at bay without always asking the same questions .... Although that may be too optimistic. Shall we monitor how many times it will be asked .... Hows Ricky doing?

I just pray that it won't be a Lulay type scenario.... out for the year and then setbacks. I'd rather Ricky end his career with 2 or 3 straight Grey Cup wins!

Provided that he re-signs with us.
:-)

AngeloV
06-17-2015, 10:48 PM
Question, do preseason games count towards the 6 games?

No, because salaries do not get paid in the pre-season. In order to get the cap relief (Like they really will need it, LOL), a player must be on the list for 6 regular season games.

Neely2005
06-18-2015, 07:48 AM
No, because salaries do not get paid in the pre-season. In order to get the cap relief (Like they really will need it, LOL), a player must be on the list for 6 regular season games.

Thanks.

Rich
06-18-2015, 10:17 AM
If he had lit it up, he would still be there, and someone else would have been released. That is the nature of pro sports. Timing is everything. Good players get released and then flourish somewhere else all the time. Hopefully, Sims will get an opportunity again, but in his short time here, he showed the least. Plain and simple.

We could go around and around on this forever. We each have our own biases that aren't going to budge.

You are one of those many CFL fans who want to see big-name NCAA "hotshots" FAIL when they come up here, because they think it makes the league look better. I think big-name NCAA guys can help draw new fans to a league that desperately needs new fans. I have a non-CFL-fan friend who was intrigued by the Sims signing and wanted to see him play.

You saw Sims run a few plays at camp and concluded he didn't have what it takes to play up here. I saw Sims run literally hundreds of plays against tough SEC defences and concluded he had great potential as a CFL QB.

You think you can get a fair assessment of a guy after 8 days in camp with no live game action. I don't. I think even Barker would concede Sims didn't get a fair shot to compete, but as you say, life isn't fair, and good players get released all the time due to circumstance. I accept that Sims didn't show enough in 8 days to pass Kilgore on the depth chart, therefore he had to go when McPherson came in. Plain and simple.

AngeloV
06-18-2015, 12:41 PM
You are one of those many CFL fans who want to see big-name NCAA "hotshots" FAIL when they come up here

If you really believe that, you are sadly wrong.

I get pumped every time one comes up here and hope he can give the league good press with those that don't follow it. If you look at my posts in the Michael Sam thread, I am defending him against those that say he isn't good enough. This goes back to what I said earlier in regards to McCarron. It's difficult to gauge the ability of a Bama QB from NCAA to the pros, because for the most part, the team around him at BAMA is miles ahead of most of the teams they play against.

As I have said, his passing accuracy during TC was brutal. That is the reason they cut him. And no, I'm not at every practice, but I do know people that are.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8