PDA

View Full Version : Kackert, Whitaker, Stala, S Mitchell signed to PR

Wobbler
06-21-2015, 11:21 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> sign four to practice roster:

RB Chad Kackert
RB Brandon Whitaker
WR Dave Stala
OL Scott Mitchell <a href="http://t.co/QO7YJYZZYK">pic.twitter.com/QO7YJYZZYK</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/612639604139814912">June 21, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now we know why they were holding some PR spots open. Not only the expected Whitaker, but the return of Kackert, the unexpected appearance of Dave Stala (I guess we wanted a vet after all), and the reappearance of the enigmatic Scott "Do I really want to play football?" Mitchell!

Will
06-21-2015, 12:38 PM
I wasn't expecting both Whitaker and Kackert. I also do not understand the logic behind Dave Stala.

OV Argo
06-21-2015, 12:52 PM
I wasn't expecting both Whitaker and Kackert. I also do not understand the logic behind Dave Stala.

Well - Whitaker and Kackert have both been very good RBs in the league - do they still have it in terms of health & skills ?, but they are vets; Stala is another vet on a team that does not have a lot of Canadian content - he was a very reliable, great hands, good size target receiver in his prime - going to a team that has IMO lacked such receivers for a long-time, plus he is a capable kicker (as an emergency back-up). And Mitchell has bounced around the league for some time now but has been a disappointment or mystery item for such a high draft pick. Looks like the Argos wanted to add a lot of experience to a not so veteran team, and did not have faith in a lot of guys in TC - particularly the NIs - the Argos have IMO missed the boat in drafting Canadian receiver talent for some time or else they do not like playing them or evaluate them very well IMO - coulda drafted Lemar Durant this past draft - I predict this guy will be a good to star receiver in the CFL. Dillon Campbell musta totally bombed in TC I guess or else was pencilled in as a special teamer type rather than a real tailback (reserved for Americans by most gobs) - why draft a CIS rushing leader? - not as good as Gillanders as a gunner?

R.J
06-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Whitaker and Stala were smart moves imo. Mitchell is puzzling to say the least, the guy never looks as though he's all in, let alone able to push anyone on the team for a spot. IMO it's time to walk away from Kackert, he may be a great team guy and all, if so give him a coaching spot again, but wasting a pr spot on a player that will probably never see game day action again is a waste of time.

paulwoods13
06-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Man, I am sooooo glad this meant Scott Michell and not Khalif.

OV is right about Stala's usefulness as a backup kicker. Whitaker or Kackert will likely dress in week 1. I'm guessing the plan all along was to sign Kackert to some sort of deal after camp ended. Why waste a roster spot when you don't need to? No way of knowing if he can still play but we can be sure he's in good physical condition.

Wobbler
06-21-2015, 01:26 PM
The Josey/Whitaker/Kackert competition (soon to be Josey/Whitaker/Kackert/Steele competition) should certainly leave us with a very good starting tailback.

I'm not sure that Stala will ever get off the PR, honestly. He isn't in game shape (http://www.tsn.ca/talent/ex-ticat-stala-to-give-football-one-last-ar-go-1.313549), and by the time he's up to speed our new receivers won't be raw rookies any more. He seems like a good guy to have around, though, and I don't see a downside.

Wobbler
06-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Man, I am sooooo glad this meant Scott Michell and not Khalif.
LOL - I'm going to edit that for clarity. I don't want to be responsible for any adverse coronary events!

KCargosfan
06-21-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm not really a fan of signing a 35-year-old receiver who likely has little left in the tank, if anything. But, we'll see what happens. I've been wrong many a time before.

Argo
06-21-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm not really a fan of signing a 35-year-old receiver who likely has little left in the tank, if anything. But, we'll see what happens. I've been wrong many a time before.

But the odds are that you'll be correct in this case.

argolio
06-21-2015, 11:13 PM
Stala is dirt cheap, experienced insurance. Nothing wrong with that.

jerrym
06-22-2015, 12:13 AM

I wasn't expecting Kackert and I loved to see him return even close to his old form, but I have strong doubts about that happening. I'm not surprised about Whitaker as Argos RB situation is still a ?. For me, Stala provides the sticky fingers sure-handed receiver they've needed to sustain drives for years. The big question is his age, but if the Argos don't wear him out he could be helpful.

Argo57
06-22-2015, 02:41 AM
I wasn't expecting Kackert and I loved to see him return even close to his old form, but I have strong doubts about that happening. I'm not surprised about Whitaker as Argos RB situation is still a ?. For me, Stala provides the sticky fingers sure-handed receiver they've needed to sustain drives for years. The big question is his age, but if the Argos don't wear him out he could be helpful.

Would have been nice to see Kackert in camp a couple of weeks ago, don't mind him signing but like you Jerry wonder how effective and healthy he will be long term (but nice to see the Argonauts afford him one last opportunity).
Whitaker is a good signing, familiar with the offence and will be motivated to prove people (Montreal) wrong as well.
Josey could also be effective catching the ball out of the backfield but seems to lack the size and power between the tackles, best to break him in slowly.

argotom
06-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Smart move to bring all in for a look see.
However I do not understand why Kackert was not brought in earlier for the main training camp, as it does not make sense.

D-Gap-Willie
06-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Smart move to bring all in for a look see.
However I do not understand why Kackert was not brought in earlier for the main training camp, as it does not make sense.
There was really no point in looking at Kackert during training camp other than giving him some reps with the offense. Argos and Kackert himself, already know what he was capable of doing before the injury ( and the elapsed inactivity). The question for the Argos and for Kackert himself, is whether he can still perform to the previous level, and whether his rebuilt ankle can take the abuse. Almost none of that would be revealed in training camp, or a few reps during preseason games. PR and then into the actual heat of regular season action will quickly tell the story. Actually, much of the same can be said about Whitaker also.

argotom
06-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Since there is are no guaranteed contracts in football, there is never a risk to bring guys in at any time and this includes the main camp.
The only issue with Kack is his health, here is hope he is back to full health.

ArgoGabe22
06-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Mike Hogan said that Stala was on their radar for some time. I'm actually shocked tbh.

ArgoFan1
06-22-2015, 02:15 PM
I've always been a Kackert fan, so I am very happy to see him get another shot. If he is anywhere near the level he was at before his injury, then he has got to be number one. Surprising how many on here think he is done without even seeing him for one play. I can't wait to see him rumble down the sidelines for another touchdown.

Argo
06-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Josey is a solid signing. That young back, together with the RB cluster bomb that B and M have constructed, should produce at least one lethal projectile.

Rich
06-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Josey is a solid signing. That young back, together with the RB cluster bomb that B and M have constructed, should produce at least one lethal projectile.

I agree. I love Henry Josey, he's like a Steve Slaton clone, but younger. RB's take such a beating in this league with all the protection they have to do in addition to their carries, you need a stable of good ones. Two INT RBs will be in the gameday lineups, but i think all four will get playing time this year. I'm assuming it will be Josey and Whitaker getting the nod for game 1.

ArgoRavi
06-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I agree. I love Henry Josey, he's like a Steve Slaton clone, but younger. RB's take such a beating in this league with all the protection they have to do in addition to their carries, you need a stable of good ones. Two INT RBs will be in the gameday lineups, but i think all four will get playing time this year. I'm assuming it will be Josey and Whitaker getting the nod for game 1.

Totally agree with you on this, Rich. You have to have at least a couple of good tailbacks these days with the burden they are expected to carry (i.e., blocking, catching the ball out of the backfield, rushing).

R.J
06-22-2015, 03:02 PM
I've always been a Kackert fan, so I am very happy to see him get another shot. If he is anywhere near the level he was at before his injury, then he has got to be number one. Surprising how many on here think he is done without even seeing him for one play. I can't wait to see him rumble down the sidelines for another touchdown.
Not surprising at all IMO, Kackert has never played a full season in his cfl career, 2013 he did not look like the Kackert we saw towards the end of 2012, and didn't play at all during the 2014 season. Hey, I'm not sold on Josey (doesn't look like he can run through the middle) or Whitaker (who has become an injury prone player) either. Coombs will probably just end up being Durie's replacement. So for me that's why I wanted to see Campbell stick around, he's a true downfield running back as opposed to the scatback style Milo seems to love.

1argoholic
06-22-2015, 03:47 PM
If Kack is healthy I'll be thrilled to see him scamper and once again have The Kack Attack back. Whitaker has always looked good against us. Stala is a great athlete who can add depth at receiver, kicker, punter, holder and he seems like a silly clown who could be a great team guy. Mitchell well I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps he needs a wee sit down with Pinball to motivate him. haha.

ArgoRavi
06-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Not surprising at all IMO, Kackert has never played a full season in his cfl career, 2013 he did not look like the Kackert we saw towards the end of 2012, and didn't play at all during the 2014 season.

I will disagree with you about how Kackert looked towards the end of the 2013 season. His final game that season was a home win over Winnipeg which wrapped up first place for the Argos. I remember watching that game and thinking that Kackert provides something to the offence that no other running back does. He had a strong game that night from what I can recall and played an integral part in that victory. Then came the broken ankle ...

Argo57
06-22-2015, 08:47 PM
I will disagree with you about how Kackert looked towards the end of the 2013 season. His final game that season was a home win over Winnipeg which wrapped up first place for the Argos. I remember watching that game and thinking that Kackert provides something to the offence that no other running back does. He had a strong game that night from what I can recall and played an integral part in that victory. Then came the broken ankle ...

I recall Kackert had a shoulder, knee and concussion injury (courtesy of Tyron Brackenridge) in 2013 which are a byproduct of his straight ahead running style, quite simply he made Milanovich's offence way more effective as the oppositions D had to respect the threat of him breaking a long run.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8