PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Bridge now leading the Als...

KCargosfan
06-25-2015, 09:50 PM
Somebody check on OVA to make sure he hasn't passed out from joy.

gilthethrill
06-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Crompton has continued from where he left off last season....as has Burris.

argos1873
06-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Idiotic to believe Bridge went in the 4th round. I'm not saying he's a great QB, but he DOES have some skills and how great it would be for a Canadian QB to have success in the CFL. It just shows how the current roster rules are against Canadian QBs.

ArgoRavi
06-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Given that he is a third string rookie QB who was seeing his first regular season action coming off the bench, I thought that Bridge performed fairly well tonight and did not look out of place. Too bad for him that his defence could not give him one last chance late in the game to win it.

OV Argo
06-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Somebody check on OVA to make sure he hasn't passed out from joy.

Dang - and Bridge looked OK - threw a bad pick but also had some nice completions and got let down by vet receivers Lewis & Green dropping catchable balls; and then as Ravi said - his over-rated D could not get him the ball back for a chance at some late game heroics.

First Canadian QB to play a meaningful down in the CFL since 96 (Carravata & Jusdanis); and here I wuz hoping that the 2016 season could have been a nice 20th year anniversary to mark the lack of Canadian QBs in the CFL. Coulda stopped mid-game and had some GOB types come out and give a speech or something to help celebrate - Huff, Wally or Roy Shivers on hand to mark the occassion with a cliched speech about lack of talent or arm strength or proper training and how they just "need to win" and can't afford to look at Canadian stiffs at QB so they could play Tanner Marsh or Justin Goltz or Tino Sunscreen or Dickhead types instead. Sadly - not to be - damn that confounded Bridge.

argos1873
06-25-2015, 11:29 PM
Dang - and Bridge looked OK - threw a bad pick but also had some nice completions and got let down by vet receivers Lewis & Green dropping catchable balls; and then as Ravi said - his over-rated D could not get him the ball back for a chance at some late game heroics.

First Canadian QB to play a meaningful down in the CFL since 96 (Carravata & Jusdanis); and here I wuz hoping that the 2016 season could have been a nice 20th year anniversary to mark the lack of Canadian QBs in the CFL. Coulda stopped mid-game and had some GOB types come out and give a speech or something to help celebrate - Huff, Wally or Roy Shivers on hand to mark the occassion with a cliched speech about lack of talent or arm strength or proper training and how they just "need to win" and can't afford to look at Canadian stiffs at QB so they could play Tanner Marsh or Justin Goltz or Tino Sunscreen or Dickhead types instead. Sadly - not to be - damn that confounded Bridge.

How could there be Canadian QB talent if they dont play in the NCAA...ooops Bridge did. OK give him a shot. Whatever, the league is run by Americans who despite the lip service that says this is a Canadian game, continue to give the hand to American players, because A) its easier and B) its the way the league is set-up, because for the last 50+ years the GMs and coaches have been American, what do you expect? You will only get Canadian talent where you need/have to put it. In OUR league.

OV Argo
06-25-2015, 11:36 PM
How could there be Canadian QB talent if they dont play in the NCAA...ooops Bridge did. OK give him a shot. Whatever, the league is run by Americans who despite the lip service that says this is a Canadian game, continue to give the hand to American players, because A) its easier and B) its the way the league is set-up, because for the last 50+ years the GMs and coaches have been American, what do you expect? You will only get Canadian talent where you need/have to put it. In OUR league.

Hey, hey - settle down; enough with the GOB heresy.

Argo
06-26-2015, 01:01 AM

How is Calvillo not the Quarterbacks Coach? It boggles the mind.

Good effort by Bridge. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him, and also Cato, although I would have liked Crompton have played this entire game: that might have been enough for a fairly significant dollop of yea or nay.

Wobbler
06-26-2015, 01:01 AM
I only caught part of this game, but it looked like a very good performance by Bridge under the circumstances. More importantly, it was pretty nice to see Montreal implode.

KCargosfan
06-26-2015, 01:54 AM
Like others have stated, I thought Bridge looked good considering he literally had no practice reps and is a rookie, and is Canadian (joking, chill out). He should have been 7 of 10 as two of his passes were dropped. Only bad throw was the interception.

Crompton, on the other hand, looked horrid after the first drive. Also, how do you not keep giving the ball to Tyrell Sutton? Dude was tearing it up.

Who will the Als sign at QB now as LeFevour is going to be out a long time?

ArgoRavi
06-26-2015, 03:07 AM
Like others have stated, I thought Bridge looked good considering he literally had no practice reps and is a rookie, and is Canadian (joking, chill out). He should have been 7 of 10 as two of his passes were dropped. Only bad throw was the interception.

Crompton, on the other hand, looked horrid after the first drive. Also, how do you not keep giving the ball to Tyrell Sutton? Dude was tearing it up.

They still have rookie Raheem Cato and Tanner Marsh is on the 6 game injured list. I don't know if Marsh is close enough to full health to pull him off the injured list early though.

Argo
06-26-2015, 09:45 AM

Bridge didn't look out of place, which is commendable. One throw (his first?) was saved by Stamps making a great catch. Cue the Calvillo 'Learn To Be a CFL QB In 10 Days' course. Cato is also interesting.

Dominique Davis if they're interested in another intriguing young talent. And why not? Considering what's available on the retread shelf. As I've said before, the Als really should have resigned Adrian McPherson when they had the (long-lasting) chance.

KCargosfan
06-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Dominique Davis if they're interested in another intriguing young talent. And why not? Considering what's available on the retread shelf. As I've said before, the Als really should have resigned Adrian McPherson when they had the (long-lasting) chance.

I concur that the Als should have gone after McPherson.

I doubt Montreal goes after Davis as he would be similar to Bridge and Cato (rookie, can run and throw).

Interesting times, as now both BC and Montreal have 2 rookies as backups (assuming Montreal puts Cato into the lineup and Marsh isn't ready).

Antwon
06-26-2015, 01:10 PM
I thought Bridge looks like he has the potential to be a starter down the road....bring him along slowly.
I bet Crompton would not be the starter by mid season with LeFevour taking over. But now who knows.

AngeloV
06-26-2015, 01:40 PM
Bridge cetainly has a strong arm..very impressive. I really think the Als need to bring him along slowly, or he is going to throw a lot of picks. Had 1 and another called back because of a IMO very questionable RTP penalty. Als offence is going to be horrible this season. I don't think they should just throw him to the Lions and kill his confidence.

Wobbler
06-26-2015, 03:08 PM
I think you mean "...throw him to the Stampeders...". Montreal doesn't play BC until week 9. ;)

Fumblitis
06-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Will be interesting to watch Bridge with a full week of first team reps.

R.J
06-26-2015, 05:34 PM
I'm hoping that Bridge gets a legitimate shot at the job and Higgins doesn't just pull him for Cato after the first sign of trouble. Not a fan of how Higgins has been treating the QB situation in general, although Popp should have done a better job of finding Qb's significantly better than Smith, Brink, Crompton and Lefevour.

argolio
06-27-2015, 12:23 PM
How is Calvillo not the Quarterbacks Coach? It boggles the mind.I'm sure he does a bit of QB coaching, but he's trying to become more well-rounded as he tries to move up the coaching ladder.

jerrym
06-28-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm hoping that Bridge gets a legitimate shot at the job and Higgins doesn't just pull him for Cato after the first sign of trouble. Not a fan of how Higgins has been treating the QB situation in general, although Popp should have done a better job of finding Qb's significantly better than Smith, Brink, Crompton and Lefevour.

I'm hoping too but the history of the CFL doesn't auger well for this. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Argo
06-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Bridge cetainly has a strong arm..very impressive. I really think the Als need to bring him along slowly, or he is going to throw a lot of picks. Had 1 and another called back because of a IMO very questionable RTP penalty. Als offence is going to be horrible this season. I don't think they should just throw him to the Lions and kill his confidence.

Given the Als QB situation - let's assume Crompton is either on the shelf due to injury or that he returns and still fails to play well - I'm for giving Bridge all the experience he can handle, perhaps simplifying the offence, at least initially. The Als' rather good running game can be a solid support. If Bridge isn't up to the task at the start of his playing career, there's no cause for blame or psychological damage as long as the situation is stated explicitly by the coaching staff, but then Marsh could be plugged in, I suppose.

I think Higgins and Co. have overestimated the ability of their receiving corp.

AngeloV
06-29-2015, 05:07 PM

Agreed. With the exception of Green, the rest are not what they once were. I really thought Giguere looked very good in Hamilton when Fantuz was hurt last year. Either teams haven't figured out how to use him, or he just can't live up to his potential.

argolio
06-29-2015, 05:11 PM
I think Higgins and Co. have overestimated the ability of their receiving corp.I'm not sure Stamps will ever regain his old form. I have no doubt Lewis can provide great leadership and blocking, but can he still produce 7+ catches for 100+ yards every second or third game?

Then again, no one thought the Als would bounce back from 1-7 last season, so I'm not writing them off after only one game.

KCargosfan
06-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Given the Als QB situation - let's assume Crompton is either on the shelf due to injury or that he returns and still fails to play well - I'm for giving Bridge all the experience he can handle, perhaps simplifying the offence, at least initially. The Als' rather good running game can be a solid support. If Bridge isn't up to the task at the start of his playing career, there's no cause for blame or psychological damage as long as the situation is stated explicitly by the coaching staff, but then Marsh could be plugged in, I suppose.

As others have stated, I concur that throwing Bridge to the lions would not be all that wise. Starting him, pulling him, and basically yo-yoing him around would not be a good idea (what is he, 22? 23?).

Harris held a clipboard for the first roughly 60 games of his career (including postseason and preseason) before being "the man."

Now it seems Bridge may have a week to prepare for arguably the best team in the league in his first start as a rookie and 2nd CFL game. I wish him luck, but that isn't a recipe for success.

If I'm Higgins, I go with Crompton unless he is absolutely terrible (which he arguably was last week).

Argocister
06-29-2015, 11:44 PM
Crompton may be on the 6 game so ..... Bridge and Cato it is .... unless there is a Glenn doppelganger

Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1 7h7 hours ago

I'm told #Als have put starting QB Jonathan Crompton on 6-game injured list. Obviously, this is more serious than team led us to believe.
40 retweets 3 favorites

D-Gap-Willie
06-30-2015, 04:00 AM
I'm not sure Stamps will ever regain his old form. I have no doubt Lewis can provide great leadership and blocking, but can he still produce 7+ catches for 100+ yards every second or third game?

Then again, no one thought the Als would bounce back from 1-7 last season, so I'm not writing them off after only one game.

Apparently you are more optimistic than MMQB on CFl.ca. MMQB seems to believe that the Als and the RedBlacks are no longer even in the CFL. MMQB had in-depth coverage of the three games in the west, with featured coverage of QB injuries and performances. They did not even mention that Ottawa and Montreal played a game. The CFL.ca site is a disgrace and should be cleaned up immediately. Their game time coverage is totally laughable. Take a look at it sometime - you can't tell the score, the time of the game, who has the ball, etc l -- it's information is usually in total conflict with both the updated scoreboard and any written updates. As an embarrassment to the CFl, it even outdoes the referees.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Apparently you are more optimistic than MMQB on CFl.ca. MMQB seems to believe that the Als and the RedBlacks are no longer even in the CFL. MMQB had in-depth coverage of the three games in the west, with featured coverage of QB injuries and performances. They did not even mention that Ottawa and Montreal played a game. The CFL.ca site is a disgrace and should be cleaned up immediately. Their game time coverage is totally laughable. Take a look at it sometime - you can't tell the score, the time of the game, who has the ball, etc l -- it's information is usually in total conflict with both the updated scoreboard and any written updates. As an embarrassment to the CFl, it even outdoes the referees.

They are supposed to be introducing a redesigned site with updated scores and stats in the fall. Orridge realizes how important this all is, especially as he works to attract that coveted younger demographic.

Argo
06-30-2015, 04:43 PM
They are supposed to be introducing a redesigned site with updated scores and stats in the fall. Orridge realizes how important this all is, especially as he works to attract that coveted younger demographic.

While they're at it, they must make the site mobile-friendly (automatically displays correctly on any device) and, it really goes without saying, eliminate all use of Flash.

jerrym
06-30-2015, 09:24 PM
In the video accompanying the following article, Higgins predicts that it is only a matter of time before a CIS quarterback makes it in the CFL with the experience they are gaining in training camp.

Canadian quarterback Brandon Bridge expects to see more action for the Montreal Alouettes this week.
Bridge and fellow rookie Rakeem Cato split the work in practice on Monday as the Alouettes began preparations to meet the Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders without their top three quarterbacks, who are all injured.
"Right now it's day to day and my gut tells me we better prepare with our two young quarterbacks," said coach Tom Higgins."

http://www.tsn.ca/als-qb-bridge-to-see-more-action-1.321456

AngeloV
07-01-2015, 10:29 PM
A pretty good story on Bridge from TSN.ca. OV won't like some comments about the NCAA QB's getting better coaching then CIS QB's (from both Bridge and Higgins), or the fact that Mark-O Brouillette compared the competition an NCAA QB sees compared to CIS being higher (and he played QB in the CIS). but a pretty good piece none the less.

I really hope he has success.

jerrym
07-01-2015, 10:50 PM
As others have stated, I concur that throwing Bridge to the lions would not be all that wise. Starting him, pulling him, and basically yo-yoing him around would not be a good idea (what is he, 22? 23?).

Harris held a clipboard for the first roughly 60 games of his career (including postseason and preseason) before being "the man."

Now it seems Bridge may have a week to prepare for arguably the best team in the league in his first start as a rookie and 2nd CFL game. I wish him luck, but that isn't a recipe for success.

If I'm Higgins, I go with Crompton unless he is absolutely terrible (which he arguably was last week).

I agree that it may not be wise but the Als may not have much choice for this game at least. If they bring in a more experienced qb to be the first stringer, take the pressure off Bridge and coach him, then one game will not likely wreck him, no matter the outcome. If one game does it, he does not have mental toughness to survive the ups and downs of pro football.

Wobbler
07-01-2015, 11:37 PM
OV won't like some comments about the NCAA QB's getting better coaching then CIS QB's (from both Bridge and Higgins)
That isn't really a controversial statement, is it? Of course programs with a lot of money and big (well paid) staffs generally offer better coaching!

Isn't the interesting question whether the QB talent level is substantially lower in the CIS vs. NCAA div I, and whether familiarity with CFL rules might mitigate such an effect? That's what I've always thought.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Would Bridge have played much Canadian football before this? Did he play Canadian-rules in high school? The sense that I get from Higgins is that Bridge and Cato are pretty close. Cato had much more success at the college level but Bridge is at least as good of a pro prospect. It sounds like we will see both of them tomorrow night.

jerrym
07-02-2015, 01:45 AM
Would Bridge have played much Canadian football before this? Did he play Canadian-rules in high school? The sense that I get from Higgins is that Bridge and Cato are pretty close. Cato had much more success at the college level but Bridge is at least as good of a pro prospect. It sounds like we will see both of them tomorrow night.

The biggest reason for the shortage of Canadian pivots in the NFL isn’t talent, says Bridge. It’s convincing coaches and scouts that Canadians can adapt to the different rules and different sized fields.

“You’re playing two different games (in Canada and the U.S.). It’s like apples and oranges. That’s the knock on Canadian quarterbacks, but I want to show U.S. schools that Canadian quarterbacks can definitely play with the rules and understanding this will definitely help (other Canadian quarterbacks) in the recruiting process,” said Bridge.

Getting noticed when you’re north of the border is the first step. On field success and a highlight reel package posted on YouTube by his brother Antoine helped. He also got plenty of support from his parents Colin and Suzanne, who combed through the NCAA’s website, looking for contact information for coaches at top schools.

Bridge was a standout at St. Marcellinus High School in Mississauga (http://www.thestar.com/sports/amateur/2010/01/06/mississauga_qb_off_to_play_for_team_world.html), where he was elevated to the senior team after only one season on the junior squad, and led the school to back-to-back championships in Peel Region.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2014/11/03/mississaugas_brandon_bridge_has_sights_set_on_nfl. html

AngeloV
07-02-2015, 02:26 PM
That isn't really a controversial statement, is it? Of course programs with a lot of money and big (well paid) staffs generally offer better coaching!

Isn't the interesting question whether the QB talent level is substantially lower in the CIS vs. NCAA div I, and whether familiarity with CFL rules might mitigate such an effect? That's what I've always thought.

I think the basics (arm strength, accuracy and athleticism) are around the same. The coaching is also huge, but I still believe the biggest advantage they have is facing faster defenders on a regular basis. There just aren't a lot of CIS db's running under 4.8 in the forty. It is a bigger adjustment for a CIS trained QB compared to an NCAA QB.

R.J
07-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Seems as though both Cato and Bridge will play against the Stamps with Bridge getting the "start". I will be shocked if Higgins is still the Head coach of the Als next season, I really don't understand his obsession with platooning qb's. Pick one and let him develop, if he's crap sit him and next man up.

Argo
07-02-2015, 07:47 PM
A pretty good story on Bridge from TSN.ca. ... I really hope he has success.

Bridge should be able to hold up his end of the deal if his O Line manages at least a draw; that is something less likely than a coin toss, unfortunately for 'Air Canada'. But hope springs eternal...

Argo
07-02-2015, 07:55 PM
(Insert pejorative adjective here) HC Higgins may actually start Cato:
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/herb-zurkowsky-facing-qb-injury-woes-alouettes-must-rely-on-defence-more-than-ever

Nothing against Cato, he's an interesting prospect, but if Bridge doesn't start... um...

jerrym
07-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Brandon Bridge has the opportunity to become the first Canadian-born quarterback to start for a CFL team since Giulio Caravatta did so for the B.C. Lions in 1996. At the time, Bridge was all of four so can be forgiven for not realizing the significance. “I think at four years old … I was starting kindergarten; my mom put me in French immersion so I was learning French at that time,” related the personable Montreal Alouette. “My mom thought that when I became an adult, to get a job, you have to know French and English. That was their whole mindset; they wanted me to learn two languages and that’s the best thing that ever happened to me.” It’s not certain if Mrs. Bridge had a crystal ball in her possession, but here is young Brandon trying to win the starting job with the Als in la belle province.
With injuries to both Jonathan Crompton and Dan LeFevour in the first week of 2015, Montreal head coach Tom Higgins was coy on Thursday as to which neophyte he would give the controls to — Bridge or Rakeem Cato — but the former is ready if called upon. ...
“I learned that I can actually play this game,” the 6-foot-5, 235-pounder said of his first CFL appearance. “I thought I was thrown into the fire but I handled myself pretty well.”
Cato, out of Marshall, is also 23. “Tomorrow or next year … I’m going to be ready when my number is called,” said Cato. “Right now my number’s called. Both me and Brandon have a great sense about how the game should be played by decision-making. If we take care of the ball and make great decisions, everything will be OK.”
The team knows which player is starting, but Higgins wasn’t showing his cards. “In our minds we have it figured out,” Higgins said. “We were just lamenting the experience we have; we have 37 plays of experience with our two quarterbacks. I think both have an extreme amount of confidence. That’s a blessing and a curse when it comes to being a quarterback and being young because they think they might be able to throw the football anywhere they think they can. “I’m very pleased that you don’t know who the starting quarterback is but flip a coin and know both will be playing.”

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/als-bridge-could-end-19-year-drought-for-canadian-quarterbacks

R.J
07-03-2015, 03:27 PM
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/herb-zurkowsky-facing-qb-injury-woes-alouettes-must-rely-on-defence-more-than-ever

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0f3b7mqFY1qh2o7zo1_500.gif

ArgoRavi
07-03-2015, 06:13 PM
I don't think that starting Cato would be some unforgivable sin. The reality is that Cato was a far more successful college QB than Bridge was and that they were supposed to alternate as the third stringers this year anyway.

OV Argo
07-03-2015, 07:26 PM

Nothing against Cato, he's an interesting prospect, but if Bridge doesn't start... um...

You'd be shocked or surprised that Bridge does not get the start ? - Popp & Higgins are classic good ole boys, and of course they will go with "the best player" = not on their watch would they start one of dem NIs at QB in their radical league ? ;o)

jerrym
07-03-2015, 07:50 PM
You'd be shocked or surprised that Bridge does not get the start ? - Popp & Higgins are classic good ole boys, and of course they will go with "the best player" = not on their watch would they start one of dem NIs at QB in their radical league ? ;o)

I agree, but I was still hoping.

AngeloV
07-03-2015, 08:54 PM

Looks like the absolute right decision thus far.

OV Argo
07-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Pro coaches ALWAYS make the right decisions - that is their job and it's not for couch potatoes like us to dare question them.

Cato looking excellent - poised and accurate - helped by a good ground game and mostly short, safe throws = smart offence; and the Stumps look useless - out partying in old Montreal last night ?

AngeloV
07-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Pro coaches ALWAYS make the right decisions - that is their job and it's not for couch potatoes like us to dare question them.

Cato looking excellent - poised and accurate - helped by a good ground game and mostly short, safe throws = smart offence; and the Stumps look useless - out partying in old Montreal last night ?

Agreed, but I don't think Bridge could have had success with this game plan. Just not accurate enough.

jerrym
07-03-2015, 09:30 PM
It will be interesting to see if the Als maintain or increase their 22 point lead whether Higgins gives Bridge some playing time near the end of the game.

OV Argo
07-03-2015, 10:37 PM
It will be interesting to see if the Als maintain or increase their 22 point lead whether Higgins gives Bridge some playing time near the end of the game.

The game was still fairly close, so, no.

Be real interesting to see if Cato remains the starter when Crompton & or Marsh return - have to think so after that performance = one of the best raw rookie 1st CFL starts at QB ever?

My guess is Bridge goes to the PR when Crompton & Marsh return; and probably never plays in the CFL again - did get that one game playing time however.

jerrym
07-03-2015, 10:45 PM
It's interesting that even with 32 seconds left and an 18 point lead, Higgins did not put Bridge in to kill the clock.

ArgoRavi
07-03-2015, 11:19 PM
It's interesting that even with 32 seconds left and an 18 point lead, Higgins did not put Bridge in to kill the clock.

Why would he? Would having Bridge kneel down be that significant?

And, OV, don't you often talk about how CFL managers and coaches should be looking at a player's success at the college level when evaluating their fitness as a pro? If we go by that criteria, Cato absolutely should have gotten the start tonight over Bridge.

Wobbler
07-04-2015, 12:10 AM
I'm just glad that no QBs were injured in this game. Good for Cato - Montreal may have just found their new #1 guy.

Argo
07-04-2015, 12:10 AM

Well, it certainly wasn't the wrong one, and virtually the entire team played well. The OC proved his worth too. We'll never know how Bridge would have fared if he had started.

But one thing safe to assume is that Crompton just lost his starting job.

Argo
07-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Agreed, but I don't think Bridge could have had success with this game plan. Just not accurate enough.

That is the question.

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Why would he? Would having Bridge kneel down be that significant?

And, OV, don't you often talk about how CFL managers and coaches should be looking at a player's success at the college level when evaluating their fitness as a pro? If we go by that criteria, Cato absolutely should have gotten the start tonight over Bridge.

Sure I do Ravi; and if CFL teams were really interested in winning, great stats college ball QBs, some of them should have been all over Vanier winning QB Gabe Cousineau who passed for over 70% completion rate last year in leading a team to a national title; but - he was not drafted or in a CFL TC to "compete" with the likes of Cato or all the Brian Brohms' out there; but wait - surely you mean success at the American college level?; and as AV says, you can't expect lowly CIS players to compete against Americans who played against higher competition in NCAA ball; Fantuz or Durie or Henoc Muamba or Brent Jones or Craig Butler or Ricky Foley or Jermaine Gabriel can't be expected to play in the CFL cause they faced slow, inferior talent in college ball - can you imagine Fantuz getting to compete against Mo Mann or Dropsem' Collins level NCAA trained talent ? IF the Ottawa team was serious about developing a young QB behind Burris then Sinopoli should "absoultely" be the #2 QB there instead of the stiffs they have in place. And Trevor Harris has no business starting for the Argos - a Div II QB ??? - surely there are some QBs with better Div I resumes out there to assume should be starting ?

Keep up your CFL gob defender of the faith routine Ravi = absolutely predictable ;o)

Argo
07-04-2015, 12:27 AM
I don't think that starting Cato would be some unforgivable sin. The reality is that Cato was a far more successful college QB than Bridge was and that they were supposed to alternate as the third stringers this year anyway.

It just seemed a tad more inevitable that game 1's finisher would be game 2's starter, because: that was the order-to-date; starting a Canadian QB is an interesting story-line and might sell tickets if things worked out; they were supposed to alternate as the third stringers this year anyway.

Like I said in previous posts, Cato has faced adversity and thrived, and he's an intriguing prospect. In his first start he seemed positively Flutie-like, although not as athletically gifted as Doug.

ArgoRavi
07-04-2015, 12:50 AM
Sure I do Ravi; and if CFL teams were really interested in winning, great stats college ball QBs, some of them should have been all over Vanier winning QB Gabe Cousineau who passed for over 70% completion rate last year in leading a team to a national title; but - he was not drafted or in a CFL TC to "compete" with the likes of Cato or all the Brian Brohms' out there; but wait - surely you mean success at the American college level?; and as AV says, you can't expect lowly CIS players to compete against Americans who played against higher competition in NCAA ball; Fantuz or Durie or Henoc Muamba or Brent Jones or Craig Butler or Ricky Foley or Jermaine Gabriel can't be expected to play in the CFL cause they faced slow, inferior talent in college ball - can you imagine Fantuz getting to compete against Mo Mann or Dropsem' Collins level NCAA trained talent ? IF the Ottawa team was serious about developing a young QB behind Burris then Sinopoli should "absoultely" be the #2 QB there instead of the stiffs they have in place. And Trevor Harris has no business starting for the Argos - a Div II QB ??? - surely there are some QBs with better Div I resumes out there to assume should be starting ?

Keep up your CFL gob defender of the faith routine Ravi = absolutely predictable ;o)

As I said over on the other thread, I am comparing NCAA performance to NCAA performance when I am comparing Cato with Bridge. Also, just because Cato excelled in his first start tonight, it doesn't mean that Bridge's career is over. Cato having success and Bridge possibly having success in the future aren't mutually exclusive. It may simply be the case right now that Cato is more pro-ready than Bridge.

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 01:03 AM
As I said over on the other thread, I am comparing NCAA performance to NCAA performance when I am comparing Cato with Bridge. Also, just because Cato excelled in his first start tonight, it doesn't mean that Bridge's career is over. Cato having success and Bridge possibly having success in the future aren't mutually exclusive. It may simply be the case right now that Cato is more pro-ready than Bridge.

So I guess you would pre- rate Mo Mann or Dropsem`Collins types as far better pro receivers than Andy Fantuz or Andre Durie ? - just going by NCAA performance? How did Cato fare in the NFL draft or getting a try-out there? You ever see Cousineau play QB or just don't want to go there ?

ArgoRavi
07-04-2015, 01:05 AM
So I guess you would pre- rate Mo Mann or Dropsem`Collins types as far better pro receivers than Andy Fantuz or Andre Durie ? - just going by NCAA performance? How did Cato fare in the NFL draft or getting a try-out there? You ever see Cousineau play QB or just don't want to go there ?

I have no idea where you are going with any of this at this point.

Argocister
07-04-2015, 01:09 AM

OV .... Cousineau doesn't seem to have interest in playing football at this time in the CFL. He declined the combine and the invitation to the ALS camps. You should give up on trying to put a neglected label on him.

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 01:09 AM
I have no idea where you are going with any of this at this point.

Yes - I can see that.

ArgoRavi
07-04-2015, 01:21 AM
Yes - I can see that.

Oh btw, OV, what did you think of Marc-Olivier Brouillette's comments on tsn.ca when he was comparing the NCAA with the CIS? They are in this clip: http://www.tsn.ca/video/alouettes-no-clear-cut-starter-for-week-2-1.322130

argolio
07-04-2015, 02:39 AM
Yes - I can see that.Well where ARE you going with this?

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 11:44 AM
OV .... Cousineau doesn't seem to have interest in playing football at this time in the CFL. He declined the combine and the invitation to the ALS camps. You should give up on trying to put a neglected label on him.

I heard he declined an invite to the Als' QB "project" camp - where impoverished Canadian QBs get some pro tips in a segregated from the real TC environment (a la Quinlan); I heard nothing about him declining a CFL Combine invite: are you saying he was invited to the main or even one of the regional combines and he declined? - source please; also maybe a source/quote of him saying he has no interest in a CFL try-out ? Have any reports or quotes from CFL "scouts" who may have assessed his CIS season last year after he won a national title ?

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Well where ARE you going with this?

Ravi finds it convenient to say - in his rush to defend CFL GOB standard policy - that the Als "absolutely" should have started Cato over Bridge simply because he had some better NCAA college ball stats - simple as that is it ?; and yet other times, we hear that great college ball stats can mean nothing for the pros since it is a higher level of competition = sure, OK; and also on the topic of Canadian QBs we often get to hear the same old chant of how CIS trained ones can\t possibly compete against American college trained QBs since they have faced such inferior competition? - so does that apply only for the QB position? - and if so, why not for all other football positions? - since it is plain as day that top notch CIS/Canadian football products at other positions - Fantuz, Durie, Heenan, Brent Jones, Henoc Muamba, Andrew Harris, Ricky Foley or Jermaine Gabriel, for example - are clearly & easily better players than all sorts of American / NCAA trained players who get handed CFL jobs. SO, all those type Canadian players can play in the CFL but the very best Canadian QBs rarely even get a serious CFL look?

Provide an attempt at some answers there if you wish, or it doesn't have to go anywhere and just accept CFL GOB standard operating procedure especially re Canadian QBs.

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Oh btw, OV, what did you think of Marc-Olivier Brouillette's comments on tsn.ca when he was comparing the NCAA with the CIS? They are in this clip: http://www.tsn.ca/video/alouettes-no-clear-cut-starter-for-week-2-1.322130

BTW Ravi - what did you make of Yantz's comments on his supposed Bombers "try-out" (sorry can't provide the link - not sure if I saw it somewhere here or maybe on the Riderfans forum)

Wobbler
07-04-2015, 12:45 PM
...just accept CFL GOB standard operating procedure especially re Canadian QBs.
I vote for this one.

ArgoRavi
07-04-2015, 01:29 PM
BTW Ravi - what did you make of Yantz's comments on his supposed Bombers "try-out" (sorry can't provide the link - not sure if I saw it somewhere here or maybe on the Riderfans forum)

I was surprised that he had such a poor experience at Winnipeg's camp given that the team is run by former CIS people.

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 02:33 PM
I vote for this one.

A big majority of dedicated CFL fans do too, IMO; the vast majority of more casual type fans have no idea about the situation.

argolio
07-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Ravi finds it convenient to say - in his rush to defend CFL GOB standard policy - that the Als "absolutely" should have started Cato over Bridge simply because he had some better NCAA college ball stats - simple as that is it ?; and yet other times, we hear that great college ball stats can mean nothing for the pros since it is a higher level of competition = sure, OK; and also on the topic of Canadian QBs we often get to hear the same old chant of how CIS trained ones can\t possibly compete against American college trained QBs since they have faced such inferior competition? - so does that apply only for the QB position? - and if so, why not for all other football positions? - since it is plain as day that top notch CIS/Canadian football products at other positions - Fantuz, Durie, Heenan, Brent Jones, Henoc Muamba, Andrew Harris, Ricky Foley or Jermaine Gabriel, for example - are clearly & easily better players than all sorts of American / NCAA trained players who get handed CFL jobs. SO, all those type Canadian players can play in the CFL but the very best Canadian QBs rarely even get a serious CFL look?

Provide an attempt at some answers there if you wish, or it doesn't have to go anywhere and just accept CFL GOB standard operating procedure especially re Canadian QBs.I'll let Ravi defend what you claim he said.

Don't know who the Als "should" have started since I didn't watch them practice all week, but you make it seem as if the Als should apologize for winning because they didn't choose Bridge. Coupled with the fact that Bridge was not a CIS QB, it makes your diatribe pointless.

BTW Ravi - what did you make of Yantz's comments on his supposed Bombers "try-out" (sorry can't provide the link - not sure if I saw it somewhere here or maybe on the Riderfans forum)I call it being a big suck and making excuses for not performing.

Did Blake Sims get a fair shot at our camp? Rich vehemently says no. Sims, from arguably the most prominent NCAA program going today, should have been GOB exhibit #1 for making our practice roster at the very least, but he didn't even last a week in camp.

Make an impression in camp, or shut up and go home.

OV Argo
07-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I'll let Ravi defend what you claim he said.

Don't know who the Als "should" have started since I didn't watch them practice all week, but you make it seem as if the Als should apologize for winning because they didn't choose Bridge. Coupled with the fact that Bridge was not a CIS QB, it makes your diatribe pointless.

I call it being a big suck and making excuses for not performing.

Did Blake Sims get a fair shot at our camp? Rich vehemently says no. Sims, from arguably the most prominent NCAA program going today, should have been GOB exhibit #1 for making our practice roster at the very least, but he didn't even last a week in camp.

Make an impression in camp, or shut up and go home.

You were at Bombers' TC then to observe the competition ?

And I already said on the Als game last night that Cato was IMO outstanding - looks like a very wise decision to go with that young QB; and maybe it was based solely on TC competition to sort out who should be playing; kinda curious then that Cato was not on the opening game roster but Bridge was and got to play (and looked decent) - but maybe Cato was nicked coming out of TC.

And you haven't been following that discussion that closely I guess or you would have heard the inferences that CIS QB or talent in general is so inferior compared to NCAA superstar training (not that the pros should care one iota about "average" talent level of college ball - they are looking for the very best players out of that level) - so if you want to discuss the CIS aspect there (like how all the other CIS products I mentioned at other positions managed to be wayyyyy better than lots of American/NCAA CFL players)- make a specific, informed comment or opinion - or shut up and go home instead of commenting on something you don't get or haven't followed.

argolio
07-04-2015, 11:37 PM
You were at Bombers' TC then to observe the competition ?No, were you?

And you haven't been following that discussion that closely I guess or you would have heard the inferences that CIS QB or talent in general is so inferior compared to NCAA superstar training (not that the pros should care one iota about "average" talent level of college ball - they are looking for the very best players out of that level) - so if you want to discuss the CIS aspect there (like how all the other CIS products I mentioned at other positions managed to be wayyyyy better than lots of American/NCAA CFL players)- make a specific, informed comment or opinion - or shut up and go home instead of commenting on something you don't get or haven't followed.So if I have any comments that pretty much agree with yours, that's okay, otherwise I shouldn't say anything. Gotcha!

OV Argo
07-05-2015, 12:26 AM
No, were you?

So if I have any comments that pretty much agree with yours, that's okay, otherwise I shouldn't say anything. Gotcha!

You seem to have no relevant comments on specific issues I'm talking about.

Wobbler
07-05-2015, 02:30 AM
A big majority of dedicated CFL fans do too, IMO; the vast majority of more casual type fans have no idea about the situation.
I'm not especially bothered by the lack of Canadian QBs in the CFL (and hate the idea of a mandatory Canadian 3rd QB), but I really think that this position should be treated like any other when it comes to the nationality quota.

Since you care a great deal more, why not write a letter to Orridge? Complaining about the problem here, to our audience of dozens of football fans, won't do anything. I'd definitely sign a petition or send a few tweets his way if this issue gained any traction.

ArgoRavi
07-05-2015, 03:29 AM
I'm not especially bothered by the lack of Canadian QBs in the CFL (and hate the idea of a mandatory Canadian 3rd QB), but I really think that this position should be treated like any other when it comes to the nationality quota.

Since you care a great deal more, why not write a letter to Orridge? Complaining about the problem here, to our audience of dozens of football fans, won't do anything. I'd definitely sign a petition or send a few tweets his way if this issue gained any traction.

I agree, Wobbler. A Canadian QB should be treated no differently than a Canadian running back or defensive lineman or defensive back. If a team has a Canadian QB, it should somehow count towards the ratio. I too would sign a petition or whatever is necessary to show my support for such an initiative.

AngeloV
07-05-2015, 08:00 AM
I agree, Wobbler. A Canadian QB should be treated no differently than a Canadian running back or defensive lineman or defensive back. If a team has a Canadian QB, it should somehow count towards the ratio. I too would sign a petition or whatever is necessary to show my support for such an initiative.

Count me in for that petition.

For the record, and I know that I am likely labelled a GOB "thinker" here, but I believe that if a Canadian QB is good enough, he will get an opportunity to prove himself. As for the question as why did Bridge dress as #3 over Cato, yet Cato gets the start ahead of Bridge, I believe that Higgins having Bridge ahead of Cato on the original Depth chart was somewhat a political move. Cato certainly out performed Bridge in pre-season going 6 for 6 with a TD compared to Bridge's ever famous 50% completion percentage.

Argocister
07-05-2015, 12:28 PM
I heard he declined an invite to the Als' QB "project" camp - where impoverished Canadian QBs get some pro tips in a segregated from the real TC environment (a la Quinlan); I heard nothing about him declining a CFL Combine invite: are you saying he was invited to the main or even one of the regional combines and he declined? - source please; also maybe a source/quote of him saying he has no interest in a CFL try-out ? Have any reports or quotes from CFL "scouts" who may have assessed his CIS season last year after he won a national title ?

I've seemed to have lost my scouting reports on Cousineau ..... Tongue in cheek ..... Like I would be on this forum and commenting if I had.
I never said he has no interest for ever but not at this time. .... Injury? Other interests at this time?
I generally read various sites ... Including the French sites .... In my readings the past 6 months that seemed to be the general gist ......If I come across any of the comments in my surfing that I can forward on to you I will ..... But I'm not going to spend my time for your proof .... And comment if you like on my intelligence if you want because I don't care!

OV Argo
07-05-2015, 01:32 PM
I've seemed to have lost my scouting reports on Cousineau ..... Tongue in cheek ..... Like I would be on this forum and commenting if I had.
I never said he has no interest for ever but not at this time. .... Injury? Other interests at this time?
I generally read various sites ... Including the French sites .... In my readings the past 6 months that seemed to be the general gist ......If I come across any of the comments in my surfing that I can forward on to you I will ..... But I'm not going to spend my time for your proof .... And comment if you like on my intelligence if you want because I don't care!

I was just asking questions that I would honestly like to know the answers to (not claiming I know the whole situation there) - sorry if I offended you.

OV Argo
07-05-2015, 01:46 PM

There was an on-line petition on the subject a number of years back (maybe related to a CIS forum, but not sure), and it seemed to get quite a few signatures, including a few former CFL players and former CIS QBs if I recall right. Nice effort I guess, but I have pretty well zero confidence that such a petition would have any affect on CFL thinkers who clearly do not care and accept the way things are (would it not be pretty easy to make a simple change to include QBs in the ratio ? - not that i believe that would do much anyways) - unless maybe you got something like a million signatures from across Canada on the petition = very unlikely IMO.

More intensified media coverage on the subject might help (I didn't read that Wayne Scanlan article with Burris' comments till just this weekend but it was written mid June I believe), but there have been a few critical articles in the past and they accomplished nothing either. And even if there was a football reporter out there who believed strongly in this "cause", he would probably risk losing his job or privileges if he hammered away on the matter? Matt Dunigan has been outspoken too on the matter and he has a high CFL profile but again, no affect. The CFL does not want the boat rocked on this one but it is not a major issue to many anyways IMO so same ole GOB thinking will rule. ;o)

Maybe I'm going to start a petition in support of Canadian D-halfbacks instead - because I can\t name one who has held a regular CFL job since the early 90s (Darryl Sampson with the Bombers) - i.e. a longer period than the one without a Canadian QB starting - those poor, hard done by Canadian D-halfs ;o) - but - another example of a CFL position that is reserved for Americans only - pretty radical, eh?

:shhhh::p

7dj83r8f78t4alf8