PDA

View Full Version : Attendance issues in Montreal?

KCargosfan
06-26-2015, 02:17 AM
If the Als suck, are there going to be attendance issues there?

They had 21,524 there tonight, which I wouldn't say is awful for their opener, but wouldn't say is good either.

1argoholic
06-26-2015, 08:44 AM
YES!! Montreal fans bail on crap teams.

ArgoRavi
06-26-2015, 11:25 AM
YES!! Montreal fans bail on crap teams.

To be fair, I don't think that is peculiar to Montreal fans. Other than hockey, Canadian sports fans are notoriously fickle IMO. Even the Riders would see their attendance decrease with even one poor season and it would decrease significantly with two or three in a row.

argonaut11xx
06-26-2015, 12:53 PM
If the Als suck, are there going to be attendance issues there?

They had 21,524 there tonight, which I wouldn't say is awful for their opener, but wouldn't say is good either.

I bet thats a bigger crowd than the Argo's get for their first game at Skydome

KCargosfan
06-26-2015, 01:00 PM

I don't doubt that, but having two clubs with attendance issues is not good for the health of the league.

I was hoping the Als would have 22,500.

I hope Brandon Bridge becomes a star in this league, because that would be great for the CFL in general.

Fumblitis
06-26-2015, 01:45 PM
To be fair, I don't think that is peculiar to Montreal fans. Other than hockey, Canadian sports fans are notoriously fickle IMO. Even the Riders would see their attendance decrease with even one poor season and it would decrease significantly with two or three in a row.I say that every time I hear what a great fan base we have. A couple of 3-15/4-14 seasons and every second seat in the new stadium will have a wheat bale in it :)

LLB997
06-26-2015, 04:05 PM
I don't doubt that, but having two clubs with attendance issues is not good for the health of the league.

I hope Brandon Bridge becomes a star in this league, because that would be great for the CFL in general.

really? 21,500 is poor attendance but 22,500 is a number to shoot for?

the stadium looked full, Thursday night not quite the weekend. 21,500 is decent. I'll be happy if Argos get 21,500 for he home opener.

ArgoZ
06-26-2015, 04:51 PM

That's an interesting over/under scenario. If the Argos put together a decent road trip, combined with a bigger profile and the more positive vibe lately in the city, plus Sask always draws well, we might see more than 21 for our opener.

R.J
06-26-2015, 05:32 PM

the stadium looked full, Thursday night not quite the weekend. 21,500 is decent. I'll be happy if Argos get 21,500 for he home opener.

I would have to agree. Actually I'm a little surprised that the Als announced attendance was only 21,524, it looked packed, usually there's empty corner sections up top. While Montreal attendance should be a concern (considering last seasons attendance including that horribly attended playoff game), I'm not ready to put them in the same category as the Argos.

gilthethrill
06-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Looked like a great atmosphere there last night. Stands looked pretty full too.

Fumblitis
06-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Looked like a great atmosphere there last night. Stands looked pretty full too.An 18-35 aged looking crowd unlike anti CFLers point out.

gilthethrill
06-26-2015, 09:43 PM
An 18-35 aged looking crowd unlike anti CFLers point out.

I should not say this as it may upset the mods, but I could not help but notice numerous attractive young ladies in the stadium.

Argo57
06-26-2015, 10:00 PM
To be fair, I don't think that is peculiar to Montreal fans. Other than hockey, Canadian sports fans are notoriously fickle IMO. Even the Riders would see their attendance decrease with even one poor season and it would decrease significantly with two or three in a row.

Montreal fans have always supported a winner and won't put up with mediocrity for long, they have been spoiled with Calvillo and the gang for many years.

OV Argo
06-27-2015, 12:32 AM
Montreal fans have always supported a winner and won't put up with mediocrity for long, they have been spoiled with Calvillo and the gang for many years.

Plus that old stadium, while quaint and a nice atmosphere and all, is getting old to Montreal fans who have been going there for years now; give them a nice new 35K stadium somewhere in the city and they would be SRO there for some time IMO - until they starting losing lots anyways - which they might do this year - Higgins is clueless as a CFL HC but he has good company there anyways.

Be very interesting to see if they give him some starts and let him develop for a time with the injuries to Crompton ( a stiff anyways IMO) and LeFevour; not so sure - wouldn't be surprised to see them air-lift in some CFL experienced QB (too bad the Argos grabbed that superstar MacPherson) or bring Marsh off the injury list to start.

ArgoRavi
06-27-2015, 01:52 AM
Be very interesting to see if they give him some starts and let him develop for a time with the injuries to Crompton ( a stiff anyways IMO) and LeFevour; not so sure - wouldn't be surprised to see them air-lift in some CFL experienced QB (too bad the Argos grabbed that superstar MacPherson) or bring Marsh off the injury list to start.

There is a fine line between letting him develop and ruining his confidence. I don't think that the Als have much choice but to start Bridge against Calgary next week but I also don't think that he is anywhere near ready to face Rich Stubler's defence and I don't think that any rookie QB fresh out of college would be.

KCargosfan
06-27-2015, 03:18 PM

Yeah, really. I never said it was poor, but it certainly wasn't great (the number, the crowd itself and atmosphere was good) for an opener. And an average of 22,500 would be good for the Als.

I saw some empty pockets on TV. My point is, if the Als go to s**t, that number is going to dwindle into "not good at all" territory.

ArgoRavi
06-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Yeah, really. I never said it was poor, but it certainly wasn't great (the number, the crowd itself and atmosphere was good) for an opener. And an average of 22,500 would be good for the Als.
7\/
I saw some empty pockets on TV. My point is, if the Als go to s**t, that number is going to dwindle into "not good at all" territory.

I think that you can say that about any CFL city though.

KCargosfan
06-27-2015, 06:36 PM
I think that you can say that about any CFL city though.

Right, but there's a difference between us and Montreal getting 16-17K and some other places having terrible seasons and getting 24K. BC may also have issues this year.

hugoagogo
06-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Montreal had 20,018 at their home opener last year

jerrym
06-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Once Montreal expanded the seating capacity from 20,000 to 24,000, the long sellout record halted. This is nothing new.

Gill The Thrill
07-02-2015, 02:42 AM
Atmosphere and ambience is a big deal when it comes to watching a game outdoors. Molson Stadium in Montreal is one of the best. Why would you make a 35k stadium and kill that atmospere? Sure it would be great if they had that demand, but let's face it when the Als came back to Montreal to play at Olympic Stadium in 1996. They had to pad attendance just to say 20,000. At least at Molson Stadium @ McGill, there are actual bodies that are buying drinks, food and merchandise. It's a great place to watch a game.

R.J
07-03-2015, 11:14 PM
19,111 tonight, yet again however looked and sounded pretty full.

jerrym
07-04-2015, 10:25 PM

I think that if Montreal can keep above .500 and not get anywhere near its horrid its 1-7 start last year, attendance will improve. That may be a truism, but Montreal expects winners and more than most cities won't support losers for very long.

paulwoods13
07-05-2015, 08:05 AM

One of the benefits of a smaller stadium. I hope we sell out every game at BMO, but even if we don't it will seem pretty full and have a great atmosphere.

gilthethrill
07-05-2015, 08:23 AM
One of the benefits of a smaller stadium. I hope we sell out every game at BMO, but even if we don't it will seem pretty full and have a great atmosphere.

Sure was great to see a sold out stadium in Ottawa last night...coupled with Hamilton's new venue & next year with the Argos seemingly renewed interest, I can't recall pro football being on such a positive high in Ontario.

jerrym
07-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Sure was great to see a sold out stadium in Ottawa last night...coupled with Hamilton's new venue & next year with the Argos seemingly renewed interest, I can't recall pro football being on such a positive high in Ontario.
I think you'd have to go back to the early or mid 70s to find all three franchises relatively healthy at the same time.

KCargosfan
07-06-2015, 11:36 PM

19,111 is an attendance issue, sorry, especially on a Friday night. I'll state it this time: There are attendance issues in Montreal. Maybe not atmosphere issues because the stadium is great, but attendance issues.

And before anyone jumps all over me, I know we have attendance issues.

D-Gap-Willie
07-19-2015, 12:29 AM
19,111 is an attendance issue, sorry, especially on a Friday night. I'll state it this time: There are attendance issues in Montreal. Maybe not atmosphere issues because the stadium is great, but attendance issues.

And before anyone jumps all over me, I know we have attendance issues.

Montreal only drew 20,173 this week, which is not great when they are showcasing their new QB, albeit on a Thursday night. Something to keep an eye on.

Attendance was also off sharply in Saskatchewan and Ottawa, at 26,159 and 21,978 respectively. Is that Ottawa's first non- sellout ? It's very difficult to put gluts in the seats when the team is mediocre and losing .

ArgoRavi
07-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Montreal only drew 20,173 this week, which is not great when they are showcasing their new QB, albeit on a Thursday night. Something to keep an eye on.

Attendance was also off sharply in Saskatchewan and Ottawa, at 26,159 and 21,978 respectively. Is that Ottawa's first non- sellout ? It's very difficult to put gluts in the seats when the team is mediocre and losing .

Montreal drew 1000 more than for their last home game and their stadium looks full so I am really not concerned about them at all. This was the first non-sellout in Ottawa but the rain killed any walk-up that could have gotten them close to a sellout. Again, nothing to worry about there. If the Riders continue to struggle, they won't draw as well but I can remember the days when they drew 16k or 18k and they are a long way from that.

AngeloV
07-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Smaller crowds in July are a big reason the league should forget about moving the start of the season ahead a few weeks. Prime vacation season once school is over.

ArgoRavi
07-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Smaller crowds in July are a big reason the league should forget about moving the start of the season ahead a few weeks. Prime vacation season once school is over.

Good point, AV. The CFL schedule-maker can't win in the summer. I remember back in the mid to late 1970s and up to 1980 how all summer games would be played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights but there would be a large hue and cry if they tried anything like that today. You also probably recall, AV, the league's brief attempt to placate cottagers with 5 pm local starts on Sunday in Toronto, Hamilton and Winnipeg in 1984 which met with little success. Over on lionbackers.com, I have seen criticism of making the Lions play Friday night games during the summer as it is thought that Saturday night would be better. Saturday and Sunday afternoon games in Vancouver have been criticized heavily as well.

Argo57
07-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Perhaps move the start of the season back 2-3 weeks and go back to a 16 game schedule (like it should be).

argolio
07-20-2015, 12:15 AM
Perhaps move the start of the season back 2-3 weeks and go back to a 16 game schedule (like it should be).Doubt that'll ever happen, and I hope it doesn't. Football is already too short compared to the six month regular seasons of hockey, basketball, and baseball. The NFL would be at 18 today if the empty suit masquerading as their commissioner could figure out a way to make it happen.

1argoholic
07-20-2015, 10:11 AM
My wife and I both wondered about the Calgary crowds the last two weeks with so many empty seats.

AngeloV
07-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Perhaps move the start of the season back 2-3 weeks and go back to a 16 game schedule (like it should be).

I like the 18 games schedule. The problem now comes from the fact the league has an odd number of teams. Football is too difficult to schedule a 9 team league fairly. The league IMO badly needs a 10th team. At the very least, it would cut down the length of the schedule from 20 to 19 weeks, assuming of course each team would only get 1 bye week rather than 2.

ArgoRavi
07-20-2015, 01:14 PM
My wife and I both wondered about the Calgary crowds the last two weeks with so many empty seats.

They had 26k for the Monday night game against the Argos and 29k for the Saturday night game against Winnipeg. I don't think that either crowd is out of line with what they have been drawing in recent years.

Argocister
07-23-2015, 05:18 PM
........... You also probably recall, AV, the league's brief attempt to placate cottagers with 5 pm local starts on Sunday in Toronto, Hamilton and Winnipeg in 1984 which met with little success. Over on lionbackers.com, I have seen criticism of making the Lions play Friday night games during the summer as it is thought that Saturday night would be better. Saturday and Sunday afternoon games in Vancouver have been criticized heavily as well.

Mmmmm ..... I think we have one of those Sunday afternoon games this August.

Gill The Thrill
08-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Perhaps move the start of the season back 2-3 weeks and go back to a 16 game schedule (like it should be).Did you mean move the start of the season ahead 2 or 3 weeks. Been saying a 16 game sched for years...The CFL lost all pre-season hype when they went to an 18 game regular season starting in June which first happened in 1986. The 4 pre-season games went a long way to helping develop the offenses so they'd look as professional as possible. I hate to say this but there has been regular seasons where it's taken clubs 4 or 5 weeks to get their offense going and functioning properly...that can't be good for selling the product in the opening weeks.

This year has been pretty good, but as recently as a couple of years ago. The offenses were dreadful at the start of the season...some stayed that way all year.

I like the 18 games schedule. The problem now comes from the fact the league has an odd number of teams. Football is too difficult to schedule a 9 team league fairly. The league IMO badly needs a 10th team. At the very least, it would cut down the length of the schedule from 20 to 19 weeks, assuming of course each team would only get 1 bye week rather than 2.

18 is way too many for a gruelling physical sport like football. The comparison to the other leagues which have also increased regular season games to their detriment is irrelevant. One of the best moves the NFL has made is to stay at 16 games as it's made every game more important than it would be if it were one of 18. NFL and CFL games even meant more in the regular season when they only played 14 games.

If you think I'm wrong, think about why College Football is so popular in the states and why big games sometimes occur in week 2, 3 or 4 of the schedule....Lose 1 out of 11 and you may not be ranked in the top 4 to play in the national playoff...lose 2 and you may not be in the Conference Championship Game. College football is nowhere near as competitive as pro football yet every game carries so much more importance because of the limited schedule.

Think about all the injuries to key players because of the long schedule...Quarterbacks, Running Backs along with Kickoff and Punt returners can barely play 3 quarters of a season without sustaining some kind of injury, and these are the players in the CFL that are usually used to market the league because they make entertaining plays....Chad Owens, Travis Lulay, John Cornish..etc

Argo57
08-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Did you mean move the start of the season ahead 2 or 3 weeks. Been saying a 16 game sched for years...The CFL lost all pre-season hype when they went to an 18 game regular season starting in June which first happened in 1986. The 4 pre-season games went a long way to helping develop the offenses so they'd look as professional as possible. I hate to say this but there has been regular seasons where it's taken clubs 4 or 5 weeks to get their offense going and functioning properly...that can't be good for selling the product in the opening weeks.

This year has been pretty good, but as recently as a couple of years ago. The offenses were dreadful at the start of the season...some stayed that way all year.

No, the season should start mid July to lessen the games being played early in the summer, prime vacation time with the kids freshly out of school.
The early regular season product in the 16 game schedule was also far superior due to the 4 pre-season games allowing teams to iron out the bugs (Offence and Defence) and properly evaluate the talent in camp.
Now the first 2 regular season games are basically pre-season games in disguise.
Another thing to consider, players today are bigger, faster and hit harder than the old days thus their bodies take more punishment, 16 game schedule may extend some careers.

AngeloV
08-04-2015, 09:20 PM
For those that want a 16 game schedule, ask yourselves this: Are the players willing to take an 11-12% paycut in order to lighten their schedule? Teams can't even sell 1 pre-season game, let alone adding another one. Schedule is perfect. Just need a 10th team to avoid the short weeks that teams occasionally have, which IMO is more a cause of injuries than playing 2 additional games over a 5 month period (provided teams have a minimum 6 days between games and never less).

argonaut11xx
08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
For those that want a 16 game schedule, ask yourselves this: Are the players willing to take an 11-12% paycut in order to lighten their schedule? Teams can't even sell 1 pre-season game, let alone adding another one. Schedule is perfect. Just need a 10th team to avoid the short weeks that teams occasionally have, which IMO is more a cause of injuries than playing 2 additional games over a 5 month period (provided teams have a minimum 6 days between games and never less).

Bang on Angelo.....the only thing i would add is maybe a longer training camp to help the teams better prepare for the season.

Argocister
08-05-2015, 11:17 PM
If I recall correctly, Montreal has a high number of
Thurs night games ..... Hypothetically better for the big cities as they can get the afterword crowd. But it will be interesting to compare the Thursday night numbers with the other days of the week. Especially the Sunday afternoon games in the fall ( when the McGill Redmen have first dibs)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8