PDA

View Full Version : Eskimos ponder if Laing intentionally tried to hurt Reilly

KCargosfan
06-28-2015, 01:43 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/06/27/edmonton-eskimos-qb-mike-reilly-may-be-seriously-injured

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Laing was pushed down and crashed into Reilly's legs. There was nothing intentional about it.

ArgoRavi
06-28-2015, 01:47 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/06/27/edmonton-eskimos-qb-mike-reilly-may-be-seriously-injured

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Laing was pushed down and crashed into Reilly's legs. There was nothing intentional about it.

I completely agree with you but there were a couple of questionable things that happened between Laing and Reilly the last two seasons and I think that the Esks and their fans are more bitter about that than anything.

Argo57
06-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Watch the tape, Cleyon was pushed into him.
Matt Nichols is complaining why?? Because he knows he sucks and now he has to play.
Reverse the situation and Chris "the genius" Jones wouldn't give a shit about Trevor Harris being injured.

ArgoRavi
06-28-2015, 02:00 PM
Watch the tape, Cleyon was pushed into him.
Matt Nichols is complaining why?? Because he knows he sucks and now he has to play.
Reverse the situation and Chris "the genius" Jones wouldn't give a shit about Trevor Harris being injured.

The Matt Nichols interview on TSN.ca is somewhat hilarious. He is saying on one hand that he doesn't know if it was intentional but then goes on to accuse Laing of an intentional hit all the same. Hopefully for the Esks' sake, his quarterbacking skills will be better and more consistent than his interview skills.

Argo57
06-28-2015, 02:24 PM
The Matt Nichols interview on TSN.ca is somewhat hilarious. He is saying on one hand that he doesn't know if it was intentional but then goes on to accuse Laing of an intentional hit all the same. Hopefully for the Esks' sake, his quarterbacking skills will be better and more consistent than his interview skills.

Maybe Hervey and Jones will call Tino Sunseri in as an upgrade over Nichols.

Neely2005
06-28-2015, 02:27 PM
I was waiting for this. Even though it was obviously completely accidental I knew someone was going to say otherwise.

Argo57
06-28-2015, 02:44 PM
I was waiting for this. Even though it was obviously completely accidental I knew someone was going to say otherwise.

Gamesmanship at its best (or worst) Edmonton will we crying into the officials ear regarding Laing next time they play hoping to get the questionable call next time as well.
Personally I thought the rough play 15 yard penalty was a horrific joke and Suitors stupid comment about players showing better "body control" in avoiding the QB's equally laughable.
Nobody is mentioning the Edmonton D lineman's goon shot helmet to the chin of Harris well after the whistle was blown but I digress.

gilthethrill
06-28-2015, 03:02 PM
The fact that both Laing and Okpalaugo were penalized yesterday, resulting in sacks being taken away show the league has to realize that football is a violent game. Laing had no control over what happened. T.O. went out of his way to grab Reillys shoulder on the sideline. The Argos appear to have a hard hitting defence...suck it up Eskimos.

ArgoRavi
06-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Nobody is mentioning the Edmonton D lineman's goon shot helmet to the chin of Harris well after the whistle was blown but I digress.

Really hard to believe there wasn't a penalty called there.

1argoholic
06-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Oh that play with a D lineman holding his arms at his side and leading with the helmet to Harris's chin was dirty.

How in the hell was a big guy like Laing supposed to turn his body as he was being pushed to avoid Reilly's leg which was out front of his body? There was no other place for Laing to land. If anything it's a football play and no one wants to see teams lose players like that but it happens.

Ron
06-28-2015, 03:19 PM
IMO pretty much all D players go for the knockout each chance they get. And if they are "blocked" into a QB ... they won't be above using that to take a dirty shot at him. All teams ... all players. Players don't tackle anymore ... they are human torpedoes. An Ed Philion would hardly stand out today.

Fumblitis
06-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Maybe Hervey and Jones will call Tino Sunseri in as an upgrade over Nichols.LOL! Seriously?

Fumblitis
06-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Really hard to believe there wasn't a penalty called there.Looked more like a late hit. However, there's no incentive for Laing to intentionally hurt Reilly so I call BS on that part of it.

Argo57
06-28-2015, 03:48 PM
LOL! Seriously?

No, they both suck!!

hugoagogo
06-28-2015, 05:16 PM
There is a lot of frustration with the players and fans over Reilly getting injured as there usually is when your top guy goes down. My take; it was not intentional...at all.

When Durant got injured, there were a lot of posts and tweets about saying that someone intentionally stepped on his foot. Same thing - didn't happen, nobody near his foot, but people need to point a finger.

Tough injuries for both players and their clubs. You don't want to see it happen to any of the stars in our league.

argolio
06-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Definitely don't think there was any intent on Laing's part, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets suspended for a game. And Laing doesn't have the cleanest rep.

jerrym
06-28-2015, 07:59 PM
It is blatantly obvious that Laing was simply trying to disrupt Reilly's passing motion while falling to the ground as there was nothing else he could do and there was nothing illegal about it.

bluto
06-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Backup QB comes into starting lineup.

Uses starter QB's injury as a rally point to get team fired up.

Move along... nothing here to see... same as it ever was... same as it ever was...

Argo
06-29-2015, 03:53 PM
Gamesmanship at its best (or worst) Edmonton will we crying into the officials ear regarding Laing next time they play hoping to get the questionable call next time as well.
Personally I thought the rough play 15 yard penalty was a horrific joke and Suitors stupid comment about players showing better "body control" in avoiding the QB's equally laughable.

Suitor and Rod Black are a matched set.

Argo
06-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Really hard to believe there wasn't a penalty called there.

A textbook case. If video replay clearing shows an uncalled penalty (serious infractions only, for the sake of argument), then why not use the evidence and call the penalty? This is a situation where the camera does not lie.

doubleblue
06-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Could be some fines or suspensions coming yet in both cases IMO.

Argocister
06-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Perhaps the Esks fans, and more importantly Jones, should also ponder whether Reilly should have been in the game after he put a knee brace on , and was restricted in his movements. It is an early season game.

hugoagogo
06-30-2015, 01:53 AM
Perhaps the Esks fans, and more importantly Jones, should also ponder whether Reilly should have been in the game after he put a knee brace on , and was restricted in his movements. It is an early season game.

Yup. The biggest issue with the Esks offense last year was the amount of time Reilly logged. No development time for others - most games he played 60 minutes. Same thing in this game. Reilly was hurt. He should not have gone back into the game. Yet he did. Bad call by a stubborn head coach. Even if Reilly set out a few series it gives time to evaluate the injury. Big mistake.

OV Argo
06-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Yup. The biggest issue with the Esks offense last year was the amount of time Reilly logged. No development time for others - most games he played 60 minutes. Same thing in this game. Reilly was hurt. He should not have gone back into the game. Yet he did. Bad call by a stubborn head coach. Even if Reilly set out a few series it gives time to evaluate the injury. Big mistake.

The Esks lost star linebacker JC Sherritt - ended up missing the play-offs a couple of years back- playing him in the last game of the season trying to pad his stats i guess.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2015, 02:47 AM
The Esks lost star linebacker JC Sherritt - ended up missing the play-offs a couple of years back- playing him in the last game of the season trying to pad his stats i guess.

Did Sherritt play on Saturday? I didn't hear his name once.

gilthethrill
07-01-2015, 07:52 AM

I asked that very same question to a person who is associated with the Argos & was at the game Saturday. He told me Sherritt was playing.

paulwoods13
07-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Statement from the league confirms no fine:

"There has been significant interest in this play and for good reason: it resulted in injury to Edmonton quarterback Mike Reilly, which is very unfortunate not only for the Eskimos, but for our league. We take the health and safety of all players very seriously, and the CFL has taken particular steps over the years to protect quarterbacks. One of those is a rule that outlaws low hits on a quarterback when he is in the act of passing. We reviewed this play very carefully, several times and from multiple camera angles. It is clear that Laing (a) tripped on an offensive lineman's foot and (b) was pushed by another offensive lineman. Those actions, combined with Laing's upfield momentum, resulted in Laing falling towards the quarterback, making the low contact unavoidable. For these reasons, Laing has not been assessed any supplemental discipline. We are determined to protect quarterbacks in accordance with the rules. We must also evaluate each play on the facts."

Argo57
07-01-2015, 08:44 AM

"There has been significant interest in this play and for good reason: it resulted in injury to Edmonton quarterback Mike Reilly, which is very unfortunate not only for the Eskimos, but for our league. We take the health and safety of all players very seriously, and the CFL has taken particular steps over the years to protect quarterbacks. One of those is a rule that outlaws low hits on a quarterback when he is in the act of passing. We reviewed this play very carefully, several times and from multiple camera angles. It is clear that Laing (a) tripped on an offensive lineman's foot and (b) was pushed by another offensive lineman. Those actions, combined with Laing's upfield momentum, resulted in Laing falling towards the quarterback, making the low contact unavoidable. For these reasons, Laing has not been assessed any supplemental discipline. We are determined to protect quarterbacks in accordance with the rules. We must also evaluate each play on the facts."

Perfectly stated ruling, let the whining begin again in Edmonton!!

D-Gap-Willie
07-01-2015, 08:57 AM

I noticed that the league statement went out of its way to tell the full reason for no discipline. They also were very careful to steer all around the question of whether a penalty was warranted on the play - no mention of the timing of whistle or pass release. In fact there was not even mention of the penalty, other than the phrase "supplemental discipline". Was it ever confirmed what the penalty was for ? The league statement seems to be hedging all around, but never saying that the penalty should not have been called - or I am reading too much into it ?

Argo
07-01-2015, 12:31 PM

It's always an enormous thrill to see rationality triumph.

hugoagogo
07-01-2015, 01:44 PM

3 tackles. You guys did a lot of successful running up the middle. I like Sheritt, but I wish we would have kept Rennie Curran.

doubleblue
07-01-2015, 04:55 PM

I think this is the way most subjective people saw it.

jerrym
07-01-2015, 10:32 PM

The CFL got it right!

argolio
07-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Well that's a relief

I like Sheritt, but I wish we would have kept Rennie Curran.Can't believe no one has signed Curran. His bio says he's a public speaker, so maybe he's making more money doing that.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8