PDA

View Full Version : Argos to wear all white unis this Sunday

R.J
06-29-2015, 07:21 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For the 1st time since the 60's, the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> will wear all-white uniforms this Sunday vs. the <a href="https://twitter.com/sskroughriders">@SSKroughriders</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="http://t.co/h6IuU5WGN5">pic.twitter.com/h6IuU5WGN5</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/615626369259696128">June 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoZ
06-29-2015, 07:35 PM
They have wore all white, sans helmet, many times since I have been a fan. I guess this means white helmets too?

Wobbler
06-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Is this the punishment for Laing's rough play on Saturday? "The offending player is hereby ordered to pay a $5,000 fine, and the team required to wear goofy uniforms during their next match"?

PullTogether73
06-29-2015, 09:37 PM
As if there wasn't enough reason to watch an Argos game.
I CAN't miss this!

I hope the new uniform supplier next year does a good job with any changes.
The signature uniforms last year were awful.

AngeloV
06-29-2015, 09:47 PM
As if there wasn't enough reason to watch an Argos game.
I CAN't miss this!

I hope the new uniform supplier next year does a good job with any changes.
The signature uniforms last year were awful.

Agreed on the jersey's, but I rather liked the helmets. Looks like those are the ones they will be using Sunday.

doubleblue
06-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Number 22 in that picture was the Great Dick Shatto.

Rich
06-29-2015, 11:08 PM
I love the all whites. It makes them look faster.

Argocister
06-29-2015, 11:22 PM
I love the all whites. It makes them look faster.

I hope that works ...... (big grin)

Stevoman
06-29-2015, 11:45 PM
I thought the all white with blue helmets that they were last season in Edmonton looked sharp (if only once or twice a season as I agree, the white with blue pants is their best look). Not sure how it will look with white helmets but maybe it's because there is so much smoke in Saskatchewan right now, the white helmets will be more visible in the hazy air!!!

bluto
06-30-2015, 07:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8fheDIG_RA

matthew
06-30-2015, 09:47 AM
so will they be wearing the 60's retro jerseys from a few years ago then?

paulwoods13
06-30-2015, 09:59 AM
It's not clear if we are wearing the "A" jerseys or our regular white road jerseys with just the helmet changed. I'm not generally in favour of different helmets for different uniforms but I do like our white alt helmet and I'm open to seeing how this overall look comes off.

The Roughriders' all-white "storm trooper" look the past couple of seasons was generally loathed even by their own rabid fan base, but I thought it looked kind of cool as an occasional change of pace.

bluto
06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
It's not clear if we are wearing the "A" jerseys or our regular white road jerseys with just the helmet changed. I'm not generally in favour of different helmets for different uniforms but I do like our white alt helmet and I'm open to seeing how this overall look comes off.

The Roughriders' all-white "storm trooper" look the past couple of seasons was generally loathed even by their own rabid fan base, but I thought it looked kind of cool as an occasional change of pace.

Storm Trooper look? Nuh-uh! i refer you to post #10 of this thread.

1argoholic
06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm very sure Reebok will make the jersey's look crap in only the way Reebok can. It'll have stripes that don't belong or the wrong colour of blue. Oh can't forget Reebok on the front and sleeves. Miss the Adidas days.

Are there third jersey's this year? This doesn't classify as that?

paulwoods13
06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
I don't believe we will see any new third jerseys this season. The Reebok contract ends after this season and there are reports circulating that Nike will get the contract in 2016, which likely means a full-scale change for all teams again.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't believe we will see any new third jerseys this season. The Reebok contract ends after this season and there are reports circulating that Nike will get the contract in 2016, which likely means a full-scale change for all teams again.

I thought that it was Adidas, Paul, that was rumoured to be getting the new contract. If so, I wonder if we will be seeing Adidas Friday Night Football once again, although Wendy's seems to be doing okay as the title sponsor of that game currently.

R.J
06-30-2015, 12:26 PM
I thought that it was Adidas, Paul, that was rumoured to be getting the new contract. If so, I wonder if we will be seeing Adidas Friday Night Football once again, although Wendy's seems to be doing okay as the title sponsor of that game currently.
http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?3265-New-Jersey-Partnership-for-next-season

Blue bomber talk says it's nike, Didier Orméjuste says it's adidas (which owns reebok).

paulwoods13
06-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Either way we will get new unis, I suspect.

I've just been digitizing games from 1999 and came across that great Adidas commercial shot at Ivor Wynne where two "vets" are trying to explain the intricacies of Cdn football to a wide-eyed rookie. "The rouge?"

"Hey coach! They're doin' it again!"

I'll post that to YouTube one of these days.

Stevoman
06-30-2015, 01:59 PM

I've just been digitizing games from 1999 and came across that great Adidas commercial shot at Ivor Wynne where two "vets" are trying to explain the intricacies of Cdn football to a wide-eyed rookie. "The rouge?"

Do you happen to have the commercial of "The Argos" practicing where a new American returner was on the field and guys were joking about whether they should tell him that there is no fair catch rule and then the commercial shows him calling for it, catching it, and getting clobbered? I'd love to see that one again...
I think there was another one of guy getting his tongue stuck to a frozen goal post and the commercial ends with "Texans, fall for it every time!" Those commercials were great.

paulwoods13
06-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I have those but haven't had time to upload them yet. One of these days . . .

ArgoGabe22
06-30-2015, 05:33 PM

I'll post that to YouTube one of these days.

When Reebok redesigned their jerseys the first time (2006/2007?) they had a commercial where a fashion designer tried redesigning them to give it more "fashion" and then he gets tackled or something. I remember that commercial but have not seen it since 06/07.

Am I the only one who remembers this?

ArgoRavi
06-30-2015, 05:42 PM
When Reebok redesigned their jerseys the first time (2006/2007?) they had a commercial where a fashion designer tried redesigning them to give it more "fashion" and then he gets tackled or something. I remember that commercial but have not seen it since 06/07.

Am I the only one who remembers this?

I remember that one too, Gabe.

Stevoman
06-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I have those but haven't had time to upload them yet. One of these days . . .
I know how it is, whenever you get to it, it will be appreciated.

OV Argo
07-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Number 22 in that picture was the Great Dick Shatto.

Bang-on - an all-time Argo great; and love those all white unis with a bit of blue trim - I'd go with blue helmets though for some contrast.

1argoholic
07-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Cambridge Blue jersey's, pants and helmets would rock. They wore the jersey's and pants in the past but I just can't remember if they helmets were.

PullTogether73
07-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Cambridge Blue jersey's, pants and helmets would rock. They wore the jersey's and pants in the past but I just can't remember if they helmets were.

I wish they would use the Cambridge blue more - perhaps as an alternate jersey as they did in the previous version of the Reebok jerseys.
In fact I wish they used the Oxford blue dominant jersey as their home outfit, and the Cambridge blue jersey as their away outfit, similar to what the Blue Bombers have done with their current jerseys.
No one owns a black and white TV anymore, so there is no need to have white jerseys.

Since when did "white" become a primary colour of the "Double Blue"?

Stevoman
07-01-2015, 07:44 PM
I wish they would use the Cambridge blue more - perhaps as an alternate jersey as they did in the previous version of the Reebok jerseys.
In fact I wish they used the Oxford blue dominant jersey as their home outfit, and the Cambridge blue jersey as their away outfit, similar to what the Blue Bombers have done with their current jerseys.
No one owns a black and white TV anymore, so there is no need to have white jerseys.

Since when did "white" become a primary colour of the "Double Blue"?

Sorry man but I'm of the opinion that the Argos white jersey is the best one in all of sports. I'd hate to see it go.

jerrym
07-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Blue is my favourite colour. Double blue are the sharpest uniforms in the league. The sooner we're back in them the better.

AngeloV
07-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Blue is my favourite colour. Double blue are the sharpest uniforms in the league. The sooner we're back in them the better.

We are back in them, no? They lost the teal in their unis about 10 years ago.

jerrym
07-01-2015, 10:40 PM
We are back in them, no? They lost the teal in their unis about 10 years ago.

I mean after Sunday.

AngeloV
07-01-2015, 10:44 PM
I mean after Sunday.

Oh, sorry misunderstood.

LLB997
07-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Argos nailed It with the 2012 redesign but have blown it since. The signature jerseys sucks, the 83 Jerseys sucked , they didn't even put the logo on the shoulder. Just recapping, happy Canada Day everybody

ArgoZ
07-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Argos nailed It with the 2012 redesign but have blown it since. The signature jerseys sucks, the 83 Jerseys sucked , they didn't even put the logo on the shoulder. Just recapping, happy Canada Day everybody

The signatures were OK. It was just a radical design all over the league, so it didn't bother me much what they looked like. The retros were a huge failure, as far as merchandise sales go. A lot of people were excited over the boat logo being back, but only on the helmets meant nobody bought the jerseys. How could they screw that up? All someone had to do is read this forum, for example, and know the boat logo was wanted.

I'd like to see the current jerseys with blue outlining the white numbers.

Argo57
07-02-2015, 04:50 PM

These 1991 Argo uniforms would look great with the Boat logo on the helmet.

paulwoods13
07-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Couldn't get the attachment to work but I know the 1991 unis well. They were great -- especially the Cambridge blue upper socks -- but where we went wrong both in 1991-94 and in the current unis is the lack of piping around the numbers, as ArgoZ suggested. I am also living in fervent but likely unrequited hope that we will go back to Cambridge blue numbers on the white jerseys, with Oxford blue piping/outline. I still say the best unis in history of football, if not all of sports, were our roads in 1978-79. They were almost the same in 1977 but it was 1978 when the Boat logo was added to the sleeve.

ArgoRavi
07-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Couldn't get the attachment to work but I know the 1991 unis well. They were great -- especially the Cambridge blue upper socks -- but where we went wrong both in 1991-94 and in the current unis is the lack of piping around the numbers, as ArgoZ suggested. I am also living in fervent but likely unrequited hope that we will go back to Cambridge blue numbers on the white jerseys, with Oxford blue piping/outline. I still say the best unis in history of football, if not all of sports, were our roads in 1978-79. They were almost the same in 1977 but it was 1978 when the Boat logo was added to the sleeve.

Those are the ones that I have in my avatar, Paul, with Tony Adams the featured player.

PullTogether73
07-02-2015, 09:50 PM
The retros were a huge failure, as far as merchandise sales go. A lot of people were excited over the boat logo being back, but only on the helmets meant nobody bought the jerseys. How could they screw that up? All someone had to do is read this forum, for example, and know the boat logo was wanted.

Technically, the boat logo was on the retros. But on the back above the player name. (I just confirmed by checking mine.)
Yes, the boat logo should have been on the sleeves.

Stevoman
07-02-2015, 10:50 PM

The piping was there around the numbers in 93 and 94 and it greatly improved the look. I was disappointed initially that there was no piping on our current jerseys but now am totally happy with the look and wonder if piping would be too much or too busy? Regardless, I really do not want a jersey change should a new company take over.

LLB997
07-03-2015, 01:16 AM
as far as merch for the 83 reunion. they nailed it with the Stressed Boat Logo tshirts they sold. I wear that shirt more than any other Argo shirt. I contemplated the Holloway jersey but decided against dropping the $200 on it . I would love to see the current jersey with boat helmets. I expect big things once Tannenbell take over.

R.J
07-03-2015, 04:11 PM
as far as merch for the 83 reunion. they nailed it with the Stressed Boat Logo tshirts they sold. I wear that shirt more than any other Argo shirt. I contemplated the Holloway jersey but decided against dropping the $200 on it . I would love to see the current jersey with boat helmets. I expect big things once Tannenbell take over.
I do as well, hopefully we'll see the return of the boat logo (a modernization would be nice, but not a necessity for me), among other things that have been talked about at length around here.

IMO Toronto, Hamilton, BC and Edmonton's current home and away jerseys are solid and don't need to be touched. Calgary needs to remember that they've never needed black and our national flag does alright with only two colours. Ottawa IMO really needs to add more red to their jerseys, Montreal I'd like to see them get the right colour blue and change up their jersey a bit, Winnipeg go back to the royal blue home jersey and road whites, Sask get away from the all white unis.

Argo57
07-05-2015, 03:41 PM
All white uniforms actually look pretty good!

PullTogether73
07-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Wow! I'm shocked!

White done right!!

matthew
07-05-2015, 03:54 PM
We do look good

paulwoods13
07-05-2015, 08:46 PM
I ordinarily hate white jerseys and pants. But the addition of the white helmet made the outfit look very sharp IMO. I still prefer we wear blue pants with white jerseys but as an occasional change of pace I could definitely live with this look.

matthew
07-06-2015, 10:44 AM
One team that I wish would go back to the white helmet is the als. You might remember they wore them during that famous "kick it out of the end zone game". They looked a lot better than the silver they wear now.

I ordinarily hate white jerseys and pants. But the addition of the white helmet made the outfit look very sharp IMO. I still prefer we wear blue pants with white jerseys but as an occasional change of pace I could definitely live with this look.

AngeloV
07-06-2015, 10:50 AM

I always liked all whites. I remember in the 80's, the Argos wore white pants exclusively, and looked very sharp with the white jerseys. The white pant, with the double blue stripes along the outside of the leg, are awesome looking.

Wobbler
07-06-2015, 11:03 AM
I thought that the all-white look was as generic and boring as expected. But despite that, I somehow summoned the strength to watch the game anyway.

Will
07-06-2015, 11:28 AM
I liked the uniforms.

doubleblue
07-06-2015, 11:38 AM
I liked the uniforms.

Me too. But they're not quite like the old 1950's and 60's all whites. I thought they were the same as the ones they wore last year for a game.

I remember when they first came out with the blue pants and white jerseys back in the day. They were sharp.

paulwoods13
07-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Me too. But they're not quite like the old 1950's and 60's all whites. I thought they were the same as the ones they wore last year for a game.

They've worn white on white several times but not with the white helmets. Those were much closer to the early 1960s look.

argonaut11xx
07-06-2015, 02:54 PM
While i loved the uniforms, i thought they made our players look smaller/skinnier, compared to a dark jersey

7dj83r8f78t4alf8