PDA

View Full Version : Pinball representing Toronto at the Pan Am games

argos1873
07-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Love the Argos, love the Pinball. Awesome that Michael Clemons was chosen to represent Toronto at the Pan Am ceremonies.

1argoholic
07-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Was he representing the Argonauts or at this point just Pinball being Pinball? The guy could run for mayor and win. He should have been the last torch carrier not Steve Nash.

ArgoRavi
07-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Was he representing the Argonauts or at this point just Pinball being Pinball? The guy could run for mayor and win. He should have been the last torch carrier not Steve Nash.

Nash was a curious choice to say the least but it probably came down to having someone whom the national TV audience in the U.S. would recognize.

D-Gap-Willie
07-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Nash was a curious choice to say the least but it probably came down to having someone whom the national TV audience in the U.S. would recognize.

From what I have been told, which is mostly heresay, folks in the US aren't even aware of the Pan Am games. Unfortunately, I think the US TV audience will join the people of the Golden Horseshoe in ignoring the games. However you are right, Steve Nash would probably be recognized by many US television viewers.

shayman
07-11-2015, 10:23 AM

It was quite a scene. Hope you all have a chance to watch. The 1996 4x100 mens relay team brought the torch into the stadium - Bruny Surin handing off to Donovan Bailey RUNNING ON THE FREAKING CN TOWER SKYWALK - and there was quite a parade of athletes bringing in the Olympic and Pan Am flags

Bobby Orr - our greatest hockey player
Fergie Jenkins - our greatest baseball player
Steve Nash - our greatest basketball player
Mike Clemons - our, well how about, most popular football player

And Chris Hadfield! Chantel Petticlerc! Catriona LeMay Doan! Simon Whitfield! Marnie McBean! Rick Hansen!
Andrew Wiggins's mother, Marita Payne, two time Olympic silver medallist, handed the torch off to her son.

Pretty impressive group. I've been grumbling a lot about the Pan Ams but the opening ceremony was REALLY well done.

jerrym
07-13-2015, 07:20 PM
You could not get a finer representative.

argos1873
07-15-2015, 09:17 PM
From what I have been told, which is mostly heresay, folks in the US aren't even aware of the Pan Am games. Unfortunately, I think the US TV audience will join the people of the Golden Horseshoe in ignoring the games. However you are right, Steve Nash would probably be recognized by many US television viewers.

You could be right, but the ceremonies were held on one of the ESPN networks, which is where I watched it, so it wasn't completely ignored by the Americans. And just like anything else that Americans don't watch, but you want them to watch, you do something that they will recognize to get them to think its "big time". Steve Nash sort of fills that, and also fills the need for "local" talent.

ArgoRavi
07-16-2015, 01:51 AM
You could be right, but the ceremonies were held on one of the ESPN networks, which is where I watched it, so it wasn't completely ignored by the Americans. And just like anything else that Americans don't watch, but you want them to watch, you do something that they will recognize to get them to think its "big time". Steve Nash sort of fills that, and also fills the need for "local" talent.

There has been some controversy today as the organizers are bringing in Kanye West as the headline performer for the closing ceremonies. There is that sense out there - which I happen to agree with - that they are doing this to further pander to our southern neighbours.

shayman
07-16-2015, 10:06 AM
There has been some controversy today as the organizers are bringing in Kanye West as the headline performer for the closing ceremonies. There is that sense out there - which I happen to agree with - that they are doing this to further pander to our southern neighbours.

People also complained about Gordon Lightfoot, Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen as the 2012 Grey Cup halftime show. You can't win. Whoever you pick, a large group of people will say "What? That music is crap, why didn't you pick MY favourite artist?"

(for the record, Gordon Lightfoot *is* my favourite artist :-)

paulwoods13
07-16-2015, 10:41 AM
People also complained about Gordon Lightfoot, Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen as the 2012 Grey Cup halftime show. You can't win. Whoever you pick, a large group of people will say "What? That music is crap, why didn't you pick MY favourite artist?"

(for the record, Gordon Lightfoot *is* my favourite artist :-)

There's no question any musical choice provokes howls of indignation because music is deeply personal. But at least those three were all Canadians. When has a major international sporting competition (Olys, Pan Ams, Commonwealth) showcased artists who were not from the host country? Maybe it happens regularly but I don't think so.

Wobbler
07-16-2015, 10:50 AM
The closing ceremonies of the 2011 Pan Am games (in Mexico) had a lot of non-Mexican musical content, including a Puerto Rican headliner (http://www.yardflex.com/2011/10/the-wailers-joi.html).

argotom
07-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Pinball is the man.
I agree what is the crazy reasoning for getting this West guy?
No class or talent and we have many Canadians who should have been chosen as the main act.

Argo57
07-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Pinball is the man.
I agree what is the crazy reasoning for getting this West guy?
No class or talent and we have many Canadians who should have been chosen as the main act.

I'm with you Tom.
j-roc would be my choice in showcasing Canadian talent!

AngeloV
07-16-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm with you Tom.

Should have tried for Nicky Minaj. If that isn't spreading good will, I don't know what is.

shayman
07-17-2015, 10:53 PM
When has a major international sporting competition (Olys, Pan Ams, Commonwealth) showcased artists who were not from the host country? Maybe it happens regularly but I don't think so.

It happens. Celine Dion performed "The Power of the Dream" at the Atlanta Olympic opening ceremony. (A song written by David Foster, also Canadian.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VlSwcMFdtY

Rocket
07-19-2015, 11:10 AM
I'm with you Tom.

I would have chosen j-roc over Kanye west anyday. If you know what i am saying! You got to keep it real!

argonaut11xx
07-19-2015, 11:59 AM
its the "Pan-American" games...

so imo anyone from a participating country, as an act is fine with me

7dj83r8f78t4alf8