PDA

View Full Version : David Braley killing another cfl franchise

Rocket
07-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Looks like David Braley is up to his old tricks again with killing off another cfl franchise in the b.c lions. Only 23,000 for the home opener against the highest attenended road team in Saskatchewan. Saw the old cheapskate tarp off the upper level with the Vancouver whitecaps tarp that they use for there games, I wonder how much Braley gave the whitecaps for the usage of that? There was no way we would have seen Braley go out of his way and do something on his own to make it cfl friendly stadium. Braley has no clue on how to grow any fan base charging 3 times more for what a ticket should cost to its most loyal fan base and then thinking he could just offset it by not hiring anybody for the off the field stuff nothing for any marketing of the team to grow its younger fan base. Fight to not give any money to its players and then can think he can profit with the t.v. Deal and by cfl giving cheapskate a grey cup to host. Number one thing on cfl commissioner list is to get this cheapskate old fart mom and pop owner out of this league before anymore damage is done to this team and league. There is no question we are going to see crowds going under 15,000 for the lions this year.

ArgoRavi
07-11-2015, 07:15 PM
It is sad to see so much of the work of Bob Ackles be undone since his death. They haven't had a crowd that small for a home game against Saskatchewan since 2001 and it is their smallest opening day crowd at B.C. Place in over a decade. Braley is great at saving franchises but not so good at growing them. It would be wonderful to see a new ownership group or individual take over that franchise with some fresh ideas on how to grow it.

Rocket
07-12-2015, 02:13 PM
It is sad to see so much of the work of Bob Ackles be undone since his death. They haven't had a crowd that small for a home game against Saskatchewan since 2001 and it is their smallest opening day crowd at B.C. Place in over a decade. Braley is great at saving franchises but not so good at growing them. It would be wonderful to see a new ownership group or individual take over that franchise with some fresh ideas on how to grow it.

It really is amazing how Braley can destroy a cfl fan base. Considering that the city put in over $500million to renos at b.c. Place a few years back. You would think Braley would have a plan to capatalize on that investment by aggressively marketing this team and getting new season ticket holders .Instead we had cheapskate just sitting around waiting for the cfl to grant him another grey cup to host. What we see with the b.c. Lions attendance the last few years is like comparing it to the housing market here. Housing market is getting propped up by the low interest rates as soon as those rates start to rise we will see a crash in the market, with the b.c. Lions we had higher numbers of season ticket holders the last few years because of demand on the grey cup as soon as cfl came out and said that they are going to not grant b.c a grey cup a while you are seeing the crash happen.

AngeloV
07-12-2015, 03:15 PM
It's just a matter of time before the Lions will be sold as well. He is only hurting his asking price as he did with the Argos.

argonaut11xx
07-12-2015, 03:56 PM
We are going to the game on the 24th at BC Place

22 of us.....

They have closed the upper bowl in BC place, fiscally and in terms of popularity the BC Lions remind me of the mid/late nineties Argonauts.

Rocket
07-12-2015, 05:38 PM
If I was commish my number one thing is to look for rich and passionate owners that like to see things grow and succeed. Even if there are no teams for sale at present time or in the future you still should be looking for owners like this for the future and try to do everything possible to get guys like David Braley far and away from the league as possible.

AngeloV
07-12-2015, 07:54 PM
If I was commish my number one thing is to look for rich and passionate owners that like to see things grow and succeed. Even if there are no teams for sale at present time or in the future you still should be looking for owners like this for the future and try to do everything possible to get guys like David Braley far and away from the league as possible.

I'm sure the commissioners of the league have never thought of that. You should send a memo.

Deerkeeper
07-13-2015, 06:15 AM
I'm sure the commissioners of the league have never thought of that. You should send a memo.
After all, we all know rich and passionate owners are just falling out of the trees and breaking down the CFL's doors wantimg to own teams.

R.J
07-13-2015, 03:48 PM
I think we can all agree that David Braley is great at buying franchises when no one else wants to and IMO should be commended for that, however he's also proven that he a terrible owner. Ticats stewardship ended poorly, before and after Ackles in BC have gotten pretty bad, the Argos................... we all know what's happened here.

jerrym
07-13-2015, 07:23 PM
He was booed out of Hamilton and ran the Argos into the ground. Let's hope he sells the Lions before they are left in the same state as the Argos at the time of the sale.

Rocket
07-13-2015, 07:59 PM
Well so far the start of this cfl season David Braley has contributed to the lowest and most embarrassing crowds in the cfl. His great idea of saving a few dollars for himself by playing at varsity with 5,000 fans for a pre season game, his other great idea of playing the Argos home opener a two day car ride to fort mcmurray got him another great crowd in less then 5,000. And now the b.c.lions with another embarrassing crowd for there pre season game, alongside the home opener which was played at the lowest atteneted game in years.
david Braley needs to go away ASAP from the cfl if it hopes to grow anytime in the future.

shayman
07-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Knock the Lions if you like, but this is pretty neat -

Operation Orange
http://www.bclions.com/operation-orange-2015

Fan trips on the team charter to two road games in Hamilton and Edmonton. Fly with, stay with, eat with the team. That sounds like a lot of fun. It'd be great if the Argos did something similar. Maybe our owner can speak to theirs.

AngeloV
07-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Well so far the start of this cfl season David Braley has contributed to the lowest and most embarrassing crowds in the cfl. His great idea of saving a few dollars for himself by playing at varsity with 5,000 fans for a pre season game, his other great idea of playing the Argos home opener a two day car ride to fort mcmurray got him another great crowd in less then 5,000. And now the b.c.lions with another embarrassing crowd for there pre season game, alongside the home opener which was played at the lowest atteneted game in years.
david Braley needs to go away ASAP from the cfl if it hopes to grow anytime in the future.

Far be it for me to defend Braley, but the lack of dates available at the dome are not his fault.

1argoholic
07-18-2015, 11:52 AM
David Braley is a Butt Plug plain and simple.

Rocket
07-18-2015, 11:12 PM
Far be it for me to defend Braley, but the lack of dates available at the dome are not his fault.

Why wouldnt it be? People always want to blame Rogers for everything with the Argos sure they are a bunch of as@&$0les and I do agree they try to bring the cfl and Argos down in the media. But if Braley actually bothered to engage himself with the team in Toronto and tried to make an effort into having discussions with people from Rogers instead of just showing up when the cfl announces that the cheapskate gets a grey cup to host I think there was an opportunity there to cross promote each other into getting better dates at skydome. Some how i find it tough to believe if Keith pelley or someone with a hard work ethic not and idiot like Chris rudge that the Argos would find a way to getting better dates at skydome.

AngeloV
07-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Why wouldnt it be? People always want to blame Rogers for everything with the Argos sure they are a bunch of as@&$0les and I do agree they try to bring the cfl and Argos down in the media. But if Braley actually bothered to engage himself with the team in Toronto and tried to make an effort into having discussions with people from Rogers instead of just showing up when the cfl announces that the cheapskate gets a grey cup to host I think there was an opportunity there to cross promote each other into getting better dates at skydome. Some how i find it tough to believe if Keith pelley or someone with a hard work ethic not and idiot like Chris rudge that the Argos would find a way to getting better dates at skydome.

Keith Pelley turned out to be as big a phony as the owners he worked for. You are set in your beliefs, so I will just leave it at that.

Rocket
07-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Keith Pelley turned out to be as big a phony as the owners he worked for. You are set in your beliefs, so I will just leave it at that.

Could you explain how Keith pelley is a big phony? was it he was doing to much work for the Argos? To much on t.v and radio promoting the Argos?to much advertisements and promotion he did with the Argos in the city? Sure he went to work for Rogers after and did everything he could do to make them successful as well. Were you one of the people that actually liked the Chris rudge approach of just sitting around doing nothing with the team the last few years and thinking the problem was just to move to bmo field and problem is solved? I for one will be happy if new CEO Michael Copland will be able to do half of the work and accomplishments that Keith pelley did with his time.

argonaut11xx
07-19-2015, 11:54 AM
With the Argo's its a mute point.

The Argo's have new owners, new stadium, and Copeland will do a very professional job.

The Lions however seem to be on a downturn, they talk more about the soccer team, than the lions on sports radio out here.

As an aside, the quality of sports radio hosts out here is TERRIBLE. (Bro Jake is the TSN morning man???...this guy sucked 25+ yrs ago when he was at Q107)

The worst Toronto sports radio personality is a million times better than any of these hacks in BC.

Argo57
07-19-2015, 01:42 PM
With the Argo's its a mute point.

The Argo's have new owners, new stadium, and Copeland will do a very professional job.

The Lions however seem to be on a downturn, they talk more about the soccer team, than the lions on sports radio out here.

As an aside, the quality of sports radio hosts out here is TERRIBLE. (Bro Jake is the TSN morning man???...this guy sucked 25+ yrs ago when he was at Q107)

The worst Toronto sports radio personality is a million times better than any of these hacks in BC.

The Lions decline reminds me so much of what the Argonauts have experienced in the last 30+ years.
First of all the stadium is beautiful but too big for the current CFL model, and the sporting fans have other options as to where they spend their entertainment dollars.
B.C. certainly needs a fresh ownership approach and hopefully the league assists in helping this happen sooner rather than later before irreparable damage is done and they lose a generation of fans.

argonaut11xx
07-19-2015, 02:13 PM
The Lions decline reminds me so much of what the Argonauts have experienced in the last 30+ years.
First of all the stadium is beautiful but too big for the current CFL model, and the sporting fans have other options as to where they spend their entertainment dollars.
B.C. certainly needs a fresh ownership approach and hopefully the league assists in helping this happen sooner rather than later before irreparable damage is done and they lose a generation of fans.

In Toronto there is a big NFL presence in bars, and you see people wearing a lot of different NFL jerseys. In Vancouver, i see BC Lions stuff(hats/shirts/jerseys) on a daily basis, however unlike Toronto, here you see seattle seahawk gear (other nfl team garb is very rare). The Lions are in a spot where they could spiral down, hopefully that doesn't happen. Closing the upper deck at BC place is like reminding me of when the Argo's did that.

The Lions still are up on the hawks, but that could swing easily, and quickly

Argo57
07-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Could you explain how Keith pelley is a big phony? was it he was doing to much work for the Argos? To much on t.v and radio promoting the Argos?to much advertisements and promotion he did with the Argos in the city? Sure he went to work for Rogers after and did everything he could do to make them successful as well. Were you one of the people that actually liked the Chris rudge approach of just sitting around doing nothing with the team the last few years and thinking the problem was just to move to bmo field and problem is solved? I for one will be happy if new CEO Michael Copland will be able to do half of the work and accomplishments that Keith pelley did with his time.

Simple Rocket, listening to Pelley spew his horseshit on MCCown's show regarding Argonaut attendance vs Buffalo Bills attendance in Toronto ruined all of his credibility in my eyes and sounded like he was trying to fit in with the anti-CFL crowd at the Fan and contradicted most of his pro-CFL stance while being paid by the Argonauts.
I get the sense that Pelley's current views are governed by who currently signs his paycheque.
Moving forward simply looking forward to better days for the Argonauts under the new ownership group.

ArgoRavi
07-19-2015, 06:22 PM
I get the sense that Pelley's current views are governed by who currently signs his paycheque.

You have hit the nail on the head here. I have always been wary of Pelley, even when he was presiding over the Argos.

Rocket
07-19-2015, 09:31 PM
You have hit the nail on the head here. I have always been wary of Pelley, even when he was presiding over the Argos.

Yes I agree you have hit the nail on the head here Keith pelley would do anything for a company/team or whoever wants to sign his pay cheque to succeeding and being the best. Unlike Chris rudge who goes out of his way to talk down about the Argos in Toronto as not being big time for the city of Toronto. I just hope we will have owners and CEOs of this team in the future that will want to act and work like this is a professional football team. Tannebum leaves me more worried then anything else with his constant talk through the Toronto media of bringing the nfl to Toronto. I hope I am wrong and that these guys do in fact put in money and work to bring the Argos back from the dead and that they won't be the same lame duck owners that tsn were when they owned the Argos.

Argo57
07-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Yes I agree you have hit the nail on the head here Keith pelley would do anything for a company/team or whoever wants to sign his pay cheque to succeeding and being the best. Unlike Chris rudge who goes out of his way to talk down about the Argos in Toronto as not being big time for the city of Toronto. I just hope we will have owners and CEOs of this team in the future that will want to act and work like this is a professional football team. Tannebum leaves me more worried then anything else with his constant talk through the Toronto media of bringing the nfl to Toronto. I hope I am wrong and that these guys do in fact put in money and work to bring the Argos back from the dead and that they won't be the same lame duck owners that tsn were when they owned the Argos.

I like what I have seen so far, signing the GM and Coach to extensions was a great start and indicate stability in my mind, the move next season will help immensely as well.
Irrelevant to compare TSN "ownership" from 20 years ago to today IMO.

AngeloV
07-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Simple Rocket, listening to Pelley spew his horseshit on MCCown's show regarding Argonaut attendance vs Buffalo Bills attendance in Toronto ruined all of his credibility in my eyes and sounded like he was trying to fit in with the anti-CFL crowd at the Fan and contradicted most of his pro-CFL stance while being paid by the Argonauts.
Moving forward simply looking forward to better days for the Argonauts under the new ownership group.

Couldn't have said it better myself..just tired of trying to explain the obvious.

Rocket
07-20-2015, 10:40 PM
I like what I have seen so far, signing the GM and Coach to extensions was a great start and indicate stability in my mind, the move next season will help immensely as well.
Irrelevant to compare TSN "ownership" from 20 years ago to today IMO.

I to like the move of signing the gm and coach to extensions but we can't just pat them on the back yet even a lousy owner like David Braley was able to have signed the gm/coach to extensions before. I've been a fan of this team and league for far to long to think everything is all good with this ownership team. Everytime a person buys a team in this league or gets a new CEO/president we just here praises in how they are going to turn things around and how they have the experience and business knowledge.It was the samething when the Argos got Chris rudge Mark Cohen and other cfl officials actually had some media and people thinking that the Argos were going to get turned around they talked how rudge was this big guy from the Winter Olympics and how he was apart of the whole campaign of own the podium. when all was said and done rudge was the most useless employee the Argos ever hired in there history!

Rocket
07-27-2015, 12:01 AM
David Braley was at his best on Friday 20,085 fans at b.c. Place. Would someone from league office please look for a new owner for the lions before we see this thing get any worse then it already is. After we get a new owner for the team we shall bar David Braley from doing anything more with the cfl no matter how desperate some of the teams may be to getting money from him.

jerrym
07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Out here in Vancouver its starting to feel like Argos deja vu, what with declining attendance and the media paying less and less attention to the Lions and more and more attention to Buffalo (oops - Seattle Seahawks).

Rocket
07-31-2015, 11:46 AM
Out here in Vancouver its starting to feel like Argos deja vu, what with declining attendance and the media paying less and less attention to the Lions and more and more attention to Buffalo (oops - Seattle Seahawks).

Sometimes i feel that the league doesn't learn from its mistakes.it seems they take one step forward and then Two steps back. Someone from the league office has to come to the conclusion that Braley has been a terrible owner for all his cfl teams that he has owned and that we shouldn't welcome that to the league anymore. We need owners for the cfl that aren't afraid to spend a little to come up with new ideas on how to approach getting a younger audiences for the league.

ArgoRavi
07-31-2015, 12:32 PM
Sometimes i feel that the league doesn't learn from its mistakes.it seems they take one step forward and then Two steps back. Someone from the league office has to come to the conclusion that Braley has been a terrible owner for all his cfl teams that he has owned and that we shouldn't welcome that to the league anymore. We need owners for the cfl that aren't afraid to spend a little to come up with new ideas on how to approach getting a younger audiences for the league.

You can't force him to sell the team though. The league can only revoke the franchise from him if he misses a payroll which won't happen.

Rocket
08-02-2015, 01:50 PM
You can't force him to sell the team though. The league can only revoke the franchise from him if he misses a payroll which won't happen.

Technically you might not be able to get braley to sell the team but the league can definitely make things uncomfortable for Braley and all the other owners who try to keep the cfl as a mom and pop league. Hosting a grey cup should never be adwarded to lousy owners like David Braley.

jerrym
08-02-2015, 03:35 PM
While David Braley is doing his part to kill interest in the BC Lions, the local media is definitely contributing, as the following pejorative article illustrates. Sound familiar? The Lions need new ownership that is media savvy and fast before it gets as bad as Toronto was.

Gone are the days where the Lions were a fairly hot ticket in town. Even with the Canucks already past their window of contention in the NHL, the Vancouver Whitecaps have stolen sports fans hearts throughout the province.
Being one of the best up and coming teams in the MLS ever since the franchise joined the prestigious Northern American soccer league in 2011, “Vancouverites” haven’t stopped going to games at BC Place and it’s a consistent draw of near sellouts in the lower bowl portion of the dome.
The crowd sings, are invested throughout, and you really don’t need to have a clue about the rules of the game at all to get excited yourself.
Would you rather bring your partner and family to a sports event like that or a CFL game where fans are exceedingly drunk (not in a fun way) with flags being thrown every two players and “Crazy P” incessantly banging on a drum right next to you?
I mean, you have got to be kidding me! The choice, at least at this point, is quite easy.
To pour salt in the wound, it’s well-apparent that Vancouver is officially a Seattle Seahawks football town. Two straight Super Bowl appearances will do that to a non-saturated sports market here in this city, and attending an NFL game is a mere two hour drive down the I-5.
Last Friday, Blue Jays fans in B.C. (including myself) stormed down to Seattle for the annual “Safeco Field Takeover” against the Mariners in baseball. The same night, the Lions played host to the Toronto Argonauts.
Maybe it’s a coincidence, perhaps not, but an absolutely pitifulcrowd of 20,085 was announced as the final attendance, the lowest the Lions have had since August 21 in 2002.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/bc-lions-home-game-attendance-drops-to-13-year-low/

AngeloV
08-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Technically you might not be able to get braley to sell the team but the league can definitely make things uncomfortable for Braley and all the other owners who try to keep the cfl as a mom and pop league. Hosting a grey cup should never be adwarded to lousy owners like David Braley.

You really have no business sense do you? Why would ANYBODY buy into a league that has made it uncomfortable for another owner? Good luck finding anyone to buy another franchise if this happens.

gilthethrill
08-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Would you rather bring your partner and family to a sports event like that or a CFL game where fans are exceedingly drunk (not in a fun way) with flags being thrown every two players and “Crazy P” incessantly banging on a drum right next to you?

So, residents of BC are going to Seattle Seahawk games. I would think it is safe to say that drunkeness is far more excessive at NFL games than in CFL stadiums. I guess there are no penalites in NFL games either.

argonaut11xx
08-02-2015, 04:40 PM
So, residents of BC are going to Seattle Seahawk games. I would think it is safe to say that drunkeness is far more excessive at NFL games than in CFL stadiums. I guess there are no penalites in NFL games either.

What a joke...we brought 22 friends to the game...Crazy P, stood beside me for almost the entire 3rd quarter, trying to get the Lions fans to out cheer my Argo's posse of misplaced Ontarians.

The atmosphere is hardly a bunch of drunks, in fact im guessing the "mellow-chill-atmosphere" was more due to the culture of BC fans (hehe). Soccer fans tend to be way more hammered than CFL fans, imo

Argo57
08-02-2015, 06:02 PM
What a joke...we brought 22 friends to the game...Crazy P, stood beside me for almost the entire 3rd quarter, trying to get the Lions fans to out cheer my Argo's posse of misplaced Ontarians.

The atmosphere is hardly a bunch of drunks, in fact im guessing the "mellow-chill-atmosphere" was more due to the culture of BC fans (hehe). Soccer fans tend to be way more hammered than CFL fans, imo

Exact media nonsense we have heard in Toronto for the last 10 or so years since FC's arrival.
There probably is validity to the Seattle Seahawks being extremely popular in the Vancouver area but it has become apparent that BC Place is too large of a venue for the Lions and as such the atmosphere would suffer (argonaut11x can speak more to this than I can).

jerrym
08-02-2015, 07:21 PM
The following article shows there is no love lost between Braley and the Argos and how they have used this to motivate them to victories in Vancouver over the Lions the last two years, including this year's 30-27 victory. Braley now seems to be in the process of alienating BC fans.

A year ago, the Argos blew a 29-3 lead in Calgary. The team stayed out in Alberta before winging it to Vancouver.
Braley, who deserves credit for keeping the Argos afloat by paying the bills, reached out to his well-heeled media puppets to spread the word on how he was prepared to fold the Argonauts franchise.
Members of the Argos got wind of it and proceeded to play their best game in Vancouver, a site that hasn’t been kind to the Scullers. But Toronto would win, 40-23, by playing inspired football in all three facets of the game.
In the end, Braley helped the Argos cause by expressing his views on the future of the franchise. In other words, the Argos were motivated to spite Braley.
Fast forward to this year, a very odd and awkward season for the Boatmen with new owners, a new chief executive, a new place to call home for next season.
GM Jim Barker and head coach Scott Milanovich have been signed by the club’s new regime, even though, technically speaking, Braley can fire both this season. In theory, it can happen. From a practical perspective, it won’t because that means Braley would have had to dip into his pockets to find replacements, which is akin to Rogers Sportsnet providing some kind of coverage of the Argos that doesn’t involve a controversy.
Pro football teams are always looking for some edge — real and imagined.
No one particularly likes Braley within the team and you just know the Argos are going to summon their best this week after a sub-par performance in Calgary. Braley’s heart has always been in B.C., where he has approved changes to the Lions’ football facility, while forking over some $100,000 in technological upgrades.
For the Argos, he’s provided nothing, other than the minimum duties of owning a team. The joke in Argoland stems from the hiring of yoga instructors who works with the team’s injured players. Braley, it’s believed, wasn’t even aware of this initiative, even though he’s paying for it. Barker must have approved the move, which has been universally endorsed by players.
Even if Braley wanted to get rid of Barker, Barker will be back next February when the new ownership group officially takes over. With the Argos preparing to play the Lions, the Braley backdrop remains, which is a shame, and his open disdain for the Toronto Argonauts. The worst thing the CFL has ever done, which is saying a lot, was to allow Braley to own both the Lions and the Argos.
There’s no retrospection required because the prudent move would have involved the league taking over operations before Bell finally realized how it needed to take advantage of its support for the CFL by owning the Argos. No other owner had the financial wherewithal and ties to the CFL like Bell. Larry Tanenbaum’s Kilmer Group has joined Bell, but Tanenbaum was tied up earlier being part of the group chasing the NFL’s Buffalo Bills. For the Argos, everything gets wiped clean beginning next season.
For this week, the Braley effect remains in play.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/20/no-love-lost-between-david-braley-and-argonauts-heading-into-game-in-bc

Rocket
08-02-2015, 09:56 PM
You really have no business sense do you? Why would ANYBODY buy into a league that has made it uncomfortable for another owner? Good luck finding anyone to buy another franchise if this happens.

Why would anyone buy into a league where a cheapskate like David Braley is calling the shots. Where there is no room for growth in the league then just to keep it a mom and pop league. Look at the mls there are all kinds of owners that are dieing to buy into the league because they see the potential. Just take a look how that league has evolved back in the early 90s there was no professional soccer league in the USA,early 90s they established this league into something where they could grow this game,2000's developed all soccer specific stadiums with good crowds to go with it, 2005-present brought in lots of superstars throughout the world of soccer to mls mind you a lot were past there prime but recently have been bringing in younger players to this league. Who knows what will happen in the future with mls but with owners that are willing to spend and looking at all aspects of growing there game the future is bright for them. For the Braley cfl not so much.

Rocket
08-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Well David Bradley had another awful week of owning his cfl franchises. Gets a pathetic crowd of 20,000 and change in b.c for probelay the 2nd best road atteneted team in Edmonton.The same type of crowd for the Argos home opener kinda disappointing but I wouldn't say a joke. The thing that was awful i would say is no mention or hype surrounding this game as the last home opener at skydome. Wasn't at the game today one of only a few that I have missed at skydome but got to give it to the small but very loyal supporters of the Argos for what sounded as a loud crowd on t.v. Another thing shouldn't tanembum be trying to talk more about the move going to bmo field next year like promotional material or any mention how season ticket holders can purchase tickets. Or is tanembum has head all around the nfl coming to Toronto,

AngeloV
08-09-2015, 12:53 AM
Why would anyone buy into a league where a cheapskate like David Braley is calling the shots. Where there is no room for growth in the league then just to keep it a mom and pop league. Look at the mls there are all kinds of owners that are dieing to buy into the league because they see the potential. Just take a look how that league has evolved back in the early 90s there was no professional soccer league in the USA,early 90s they established this league into something where they could grow this game,2000's developed all soccer specific stadiums with good crowds to go with it, 2005-present brought in lots of superstars throughout the world of soccer to mls mind you a lot were past there prime but recently have been bringing in younger players to this league. Who knows what will happen in the future with mls but with owners that are willing to spend and looking at all aspects of growing there game the future is bright for them. For the Braley cfl not so much.

Sorry dude, unless you want to try expanding to the US again (I certainly do not) the CFL will always be somewhat of a mom and pop league. There just is not enough money in Canada to make a league with under 90 total dates huge money. They will never get a TV deal even close to what Rogers paid for the NHL. Without a huge (20m per team, per year) tv deal, the league will always be run on a tight budget.

Argo
08-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Sorry dude, unless you want to try expanding to the US again (I certainly do not) the CFL will always be somewhat of a mom and pop league. There just is not enough money in Canada to make a league with under 90 total dates huge money. They will never get a TV deal even close to what Rogers paid for the NHL. Without a huge (20m per team, per year) tv deal, the league will always be run on a tight budget.

No doubt. The CFL still manages to consistently deliver excellent value: the rules of the game are excellent, the quality of play is very good, and generally entertaining.
Now that The Argonauts Problem has been addressed, oh for one more team and a balanced schedule. But that seems very unlikely in the foreseeable future!

Rocket
08-23-2015, 11:35 PM
Wow how low can the Argos popularity get to? Braley/rudge seem to be doing everything possible to destroy this franchise 14,000 for a Argo game on a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon. Braley working his magic at b.c last home game barely got over the 20,000 mark. David Braley has got to be the worst thing associated with the cfl.

Gill The Thrill
08-24-2015, 12:18 AM
Wow how low can the Argos popularity get to? Braley/rudge seem to be doing everything possible to destroy this franchise 14,000 for a Argo game on a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon. Braley working his magic at b.c last home game barely got over the 20,000 mark. David Braley has got to be the worst thing associated with the cfl.Do we really need to go down this road again? Perhaps you have not watched or followed the league for a long time, but there would have been no CFL, especially in Southern Ontario if not for Braley. Criticize his marketing all you want, but he can afford to pay the salaries and has never missed payroll. That arguably makes him a deity among CFL owners, in fact he's helped other owners meet their payrolls. He's also stepped up to buy teams when nobody else was willing to such as in Hamilton, his hometown, back in 1988 when he saved the team from Harold Ballard who was getting old and wanted to sell the Ticats. Today, Braley is the older gentleman (and he deserves to be referred to as such) who is ready to divest himself of his ownership stake of CFL franchises. He had plenty of dough and did not have to risk his money, but he did because he loved the game. What more can you ask when all is said and done? Perhaps more marketing, but for the money spent, will it make back in attendance figures...I don't know. Ask past owners of teams like Bruce McNall and Larry Ryckman to see if that's worked in the past.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8