PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taking in live Pan Am events?

1argoholic
07-20-2015, 10:18 AM
A few sports would be great to see live but I lived close to Vancouver and never went to any Olympic events and although I've been following CBC's horrible coverage I won't be going live. Are they trying to kill off TV now with the only live events being streamed online? It is a gongshow for us to attempt that. Plus I don't want to watch on a small screen.

T-Bone
07-20-2015, 10:21 AM
I went to one session of men's soccer and one session of women's basketball. I'm going for one session of indoor volleyball tomorrow.

shayman
07-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Saw canoe/kayak sprints at a neat facility, the Welland Internationa Flatwater Centre (http://www.wifc.ca/site/home) - and have been going to some basketball, mostly on account of my son is one of the volunteers you see mopping the floor at timeouts.

(Mike Clemons showed up at one of the basketball games to say hello to all the volunteers. I introduced him to my parents. He couldn't have been more gracious. That was a real highlight.)

Deerkeeper
07-20-2015, 07:45 PM
I'm taking in a few events. Was at Hardwood the first weekend for the Mountain Bike races. This is my video of the event.

http://youtu.be/EFIfD51N-7w
I'll be at York Wednesday night for the men's and women's 100 meter finals. I would have loved to get to Minden for the whitewater paddling races, but both days were sold out. Good thing I guess as I ended up having to work the whole weekend anyway.

1argoholic
07-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Killer Deerkeeper and more footage then CBC showed. Love it and wish I was there. Not exactly an ugly podium on the ladies side. What's this the sport of cuties?

paulwoods13
07-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Been to BMO for Rugby Sevens final day -- great venue that Argo fans will LOVE (and super-entertaining sport).

And to Ryerson/Mattamy/MLG for women's basketball final day of round robin -- got to see Cda defeat Cuba in a tight and highly entertaining game.

Argocister
07-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Heading to U of T on Sat for the field hockey finals ..... Not sure if it's women or men for the morning 2 games. My Dad played field hockey for Canada in the 64 Olympics so my brothers and I are splitting the action packed day with him. Hopefully the traffic isn't too bad as the first game is at 9 am ...... Early morning on the weekend 😁

ArgoRavi
07-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Heading to U of T on Sat for the field hockey finals ..... Not sure if it's women or men for the morning 2 games. My Dad played field hockey for Canada in the 64 Olympics so my brothers and I are splitting the action packed day with him. Hopefully the traffic isn't too bad as the first game is at 9 am ...... Early morning on the weekend 

When I was in high school in the '80s, field hockey was seen as a "girls' sport" and I never understood why that was. It is very popular among men in other parts of the world. I don't know if that attitude has changed in Canada since the 1980s.

ArgoGabe22
07-23-2015, 06:19 PM
When I was in high school in the '80s, field hockey was seen as a "girls' sport" and I never understood why that was.

Still is unfortunately. It is only offered as a girls sport in high school as far as I know.

Deerkeeper
07-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Just a short slide show and video from last night (22 July) at York. Great facility they built at there. Hope they can get some large events there in the future.

https://youtu.be/h2wlogv1X7A

Argocister
07-24-2015, 12:43 AM
When I was in high school in the '80s, field hockey was seen as a "girls' sport" and I never understood why that was. It is very popular among men in other parts of the world. I don't know if that attitude has changed in Canada since the 1980s.

Still is unfortunately. It is only offered as a girls sport in high school as far as I know.

My Dad grew up in Germany, and field hockey was in every town. Here, field hockey is offered up as girls in order to balance the girl/guy ratio for team support. You have to support a couple girls teams if your school offers football. I believe this is the main reason.
There are men's field hockey teams out there, just outside of the school structure for the most part. ...... Talk about a fringe sport.

1argoholic
07-24-2015, 10:57 PM
I'd never play that sport. I'd hate to get nailed by that ball or a follow through in the shins with that stick would kill.

Argocister
07-25-2015, 03:20 PM
I'd never play that sport. I'd hate to get nailed by that ball or a follow through in the shins with that stick would kill.
Wus......😉

7dj83r8f78t4alf8