PDA

View Full Version : Sportsnet changes their mind on tv deal

R.J
03-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Rod Pedersen:"Sportsnet has changed their mind and they want in on a possible bid on the CFL TV deal." #CFL

Rod Pedersen:"There's been a change of mind and they (Sportsnet) want to get into the party (airing the CFL on TV)." #CFL

Madani:"Mark Cohon wants double what the television money is now." #CFL
IMO this could potentially be great news, I've always felt that it would be TSN, CBC and Sportsnet bidding for the CFL tv deal. The tv numbers don't lie, the CFL is the second most watched sporting league in Canada and money can be made on it, not to mention the fact that the CFL is considered Can-Con. Best case scenario I would think is TSN and Sportsnet splitting regular season games and CTV/CityTV taking the playoffs plus alternating the Grey Cup. However a more likely scenario would be Sportsnet and TSN airing all the games including playoffs. I still feel that the CFL needs to be on broadcast tv networks, but having both Bell and Rogers behind the league could be huge.

Argonauter
03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
IMO this could potentially be great news, I've always felt that it would be TSN, CBC and Sportsnet bidding for the CFL tv deal. The tv numbers don't lie, the CFL is the second most watched sporting league in Canada and money can be made on it, not to mention the fact that the CFL is considered Can-Con. Best case scenario I would think is TSN and Sportsnet splitting regular season games and CTV/CityTV taking the playoffs plus alternating the Grey Cup. However a more likely scenario would be Sportsnet and TSN airing all the games including playoffs. I still feel that the CFL needs to be on broadcast tv networks, but having both Bell and Rogers behind the league could be huge.

I checked Pedersen's and Madani's twitter accounts to see if there was more and those quotes don't show up on them. Where did they get tweeted from?

ArgoRavi
03-02-2012, 09:42 PM

I agree that the CFL needs to be on multiple networks and preferably on at least one over-the-air network. The league is simply not getting the overall media coverage that it should be because non-carriers (everyone but TSN) have no stake in the league.

argolio
03-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I agree that the CFL needs to be on multiple networks and preferably on at least one over-the-air network.I think it's essential that the Grey Cup returns to an over-the-air network.

Not sure I buy Sportsnet's interest. We'll see.

R.J
03-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I agree that the CFL needs to be on multiple networks and preferably on at least one over-the-air network. The league is simply not getting the overall media coverage that it should be because non-carriers (everyone but TSN) have no stake in the league.
Ravi is it safe to assume then that your best case scenario would be 2 games on TSN/TSN2, 2 Games on Sportsnet/Sportsnet ONE, and 1 game on either CTV, CityTV, or the CBC every week, then having the playoffs only aired on the Broadcast networks (CTV, CityTV, CBC) ?

ArgoRavi
03-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Ravi is it safe to assume then that your best case scenario would be 2 games on TSN/TSN2, 2 Games on Sportsnet/Sportsnet ONE, and 1 game on either CTV, CityTV, or the CBC every week, then having the playoffs only aired on the Broadcast networks (CTV, CityTV, CBC) ?

I am guessing that you really mean one game on Sportsnet/Sportsnet One as we only have four games per week currently. I would be thrilled with this scenario that you have presented. Will it happen? I am not confident that that particular scenario will happen but hopefully we can get something along those lines.

1argoholic
03-02-2012, 11:42 PM
This would mean we'd have to listen to Lang saying "SLOBERKNOCKER" over and over again. Brad Faye would be great as he's a huge CFL fan. Jamie Campbell is as well.

AngeloV
03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Jamie Campbell is as well.

This may be true, but I can't help but think...Do we really want a Brian Linehan look-a-like doing CFL games?:hmmmm:

ArgoRavi
03-03-2012, 04:14 AM
This may be true, but I can't help but think...Do we really want a Brian Linehan look-a-like doing CFL games?:hmmmm:

It is easy to forget but Sportsnet did do five CFL games including one or two Argo games back in 2004. They had a panel of Sean McCormick, Duane Forde and Marty York and the commentators were Campbell and Grant Carter. They did a good job from what I can recall too.

argofandave
03-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I remember talking to Jamie Campbell at Joe Badali's after one of those Argo home games on Sportsnet. It was Jamie who started talking to me about the game. He seemed like a very nice person who really likes the CFL.

1argoholic
03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Jamie's much cooler than Linehan. But Linehan really knew his shite.

argotom
03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I think there is room for Sportsnet even though I still have some reservations with the evil Rogers empire.
Regardless and unlike the bad TV deal last signed by Tom Wright, this time and with Cohon being a pretty sharp guy I suspect he will leverage Sportsnet, CBC and Global in order to get $30M-$50M annually.
And equally as important if the league stays with TSN, it is a must that the playoff rounds and the GC must be shown on the mother CTV network.

R.J
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Regardless and unlike the bad TV deal last signed by Tom Wright, this time and with Cohon being a pretty sharp guy I suspect he will leverage Sportsnet, CBC and Global in order to get $30M-$50M annually. And equally as important if the league stays with TSN, it is a must that the playoff rounds and the GC must be shown on the mother CTV network.
IMO the league made the right choice by going with TSN, yeah Global and CBC might have paid more, but TSN has done a great job which neither could exceed or even match. Just in terms of exposure TSN is a great partner and is one of the biggest reasons our League has been growing the past few years.

argotom
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
IMO the league made the right choice by going with TSN, yeah Global and CBC might have paid more, but TSN has done a great job which neither could exceed or even match. Just in terms of exposure TSN is a great partner and is one of the biggest reasons our League has been growing the past few years.

I am with you for TSN, but Wright was pathetic for his failure in not leveraging the other networks to gain more money from TSN.
Especially since after the fact both CBC and Global said they would have paid more.

ArgoRavi
03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I am with you for TSN, but Wright was pathetic for his failure in not leveraging the other networks to gain more money from TSN.
Especially since after the fact both CBC and Global said they would have paid more.

Wright deserves blame for that but so does Keith Pelley who reportedly had at least as much to do with the negotiations as Wright did.

1argoholic
06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
As far as Sportsnet both Campbell and Brad Faye are huge CFL fans. Brad became a friend back in 1990 at Grey Cup in Vancouver. This was before his sportsnet days. He's a huge Lions fan and and all around GREAT guy. Not sure if he's ever called games though. If Sportsnet did end up doing a few games per week then Rogers might actually help get asses in the seats of the dome.

R.J
06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
If there is a way to get 3 networks together, all the better for the CFL, as I would think the networks would provide more exposure and CFL talk.
TSN, Sportsnet, and either Global or CBC would be the way to go, IMO we could see a $35-50 million per season deal, which would obviously be great for the CFL.

argos1873
06-01-2012, 06:59 PM
I love the job that TSN has done for the CFL, but oh how I wish it would go back to CBC, or any other OTA broadcaster. That way I could cancel my cable!

Invader
06-01-2012, 07:08 PM
CBC would probably pay big money for a 16-game package of Saturday night games in the HNIC time-slot...up until hockey starts, around Oct.15th.

A Sunday afternoon CFL Game of the Week might be attractive for Global (with a consistent start-time, say 5pm EDT). That would still leave 47 games for TSN, plus playoffs and Grey Cup. I would cut Rogers out of the loop.

To maximize revenue, the Grey Cup sponsorships, naming rights and broadcasting could be marketed individually.

TSN could still be the prime contractor and parcel out game packages to other networks, like they did before.

I'd like to see TSN still produce all the games, with the other networks just slotting in their ads.

marcwagz
06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
you do know there is no OTA broadcasting in canada anymore, right?

ArgoRavi
06-01-2012, 11:41 PM
If there is a way to get 3 networks together, all the better for the CFL, as I would think the networks would provide more exposure and CFL talk.

You have hit the nail on the head here. In 2012, it is more apparent than ever that it isn't just about finding a network to put your games on. It is about finding a network that will also promote your product and the more networks that you are on, the more promotion you will get. If TSN shows 20-25 fewer CFL games, are they going to promote it any less? I doubt that we would see much difference. However, whatever other network(s) the league would be on would also promote their product and the CFL gets little, if any, mention on any other network today including CBC.

The NFL is on TSN, Sportsnet, CTV and City-TV (have I missed anything?). They are promoted on all of those outlets as well as on the radio with Sportsnet and TSN. The CFL needs to find at least one other outlet, and preferably two, in addition to TSN to get the promotion that they should be getting.

argos1873
06-02-2012, 12:27 AM
you do know there is no OTA broadcasting in canada anymore, right?

Wrong. There is no more ANALOG OTA broadcasting in Canada (even that isn't completely true), but there is DIGITAL OTA broadcasting. CBC, CTV, Global all broadcast OTA as well as many other stations and networks across Canada.

xrayjames
06-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I subscribe to basic cable, which does not include TSN (I don't watch TV other than football). I believe a national sports league should be on a network accessible to the majority of Canadians, like the NHL is.<style>.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}</style>

ArgoZ
06-04-2012, 12:07 AM
I subscribe to basic cable, which does not include TSN (I don't watch TV other than football). I believe a national sports league should be on a network accessible to the majority of Canadians, like the NHL is.<style>.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}</style>

You pay for cable but don't watch it because football is on TSN? How about pay the extra 5 bucks and get to watch the football you crave? $30 is better money spent to watch football than $25 to watch nothing, LOL.

Are you claiming that 51% of Canadians can't access TSN? Every game is now on TV, heck even some pre-season. The league has never been so accessible.

TSN is easily accessed to anyone in the country. From my satelite at the cottage to my cable in the city. Complaining that the CFL is on TSN is so silly and is usually done exclusively by the older tv antenna generation.

argolio
06-04-2012, 12:07 AM
I believe a national sports league should be on a network accessible to the majority of Canadians, like the NHL is.Hockey Night in Canada might be moving to cable when its contract ends with CBC in a couple of years.

R.J
06-27-2012, 04:46 PM
New Globe&Mail article discussing the new tv deal.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/with-television-rights-to-be-negotiated-cfl-faces-critical-season/article4372991/

Are you claiming that 51% of Canadians can't access TSN? Every game is now on TV, heck even some pre-season. The league has never been so accessible. TSN is currently available in about 4 million less homes than CBC, Global and CTV (CityTV has zero household penetration in the Maritimes).

ArgoZ
06-27-2012, 08:41 PM
TSN is currently available in about 4 million less homes than CBC, Global and CTV (CityTV has zero household penetration in the Maritimes).

Where are these homes? I assume you mean without cable. A Bell satelite can be installed just about anywhere in the country, except the extreme north, and includes TSN. So not including a few hundred Eskimoes, I would say the CFL is accessable to the whole country.

Treblecharger1
06-27-2012, 10:05 PM
The League needs this contract to increase by atleast double 32 Million per season is reasonable considering the viewrship numbers this assest brings in. When Ottawa joins in that number should go up to 40 million per season. We need to get to the point in which league pay outs are covering a majority of the franchises opearitng costs. This will enable teams like the Argos and Ti-Cats to free up resources that have been setaside to cover opearting costs and put them into marketing dollars that will help them grow the season ticket base and gain traction in a marketplace.

argos1873
06-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Where are these homes? I assume you mean without cable. A Bell satelite can be installed just about anywhere in the country, except the extreme north, and includes TSN. So not including a few hundred Eskimoes, I would say the CFL is accessable to the whole country.

Regardless of whether TSN is available on satellite doesn't matter. Its still 4 million homes without TSN. Not all areas have TSN on basic cable. Even certain areas of Toronto don't even include TSN in their basic cable. Do you really expect 4 million homes to either a) pay extra to get TSN on cable, or b) subscribe to Bell Satellite, just so they can watch football? If CBC or CTV can reach more homes without costing the viewer anything more, wouldn't it be advantageous to the CFL to expose their product to those 4 million extra people who others would get ZERO exposure? A satellite subscription doesn't help the CFL when it comes to viewers who don't even know they want to watch CFL football.

KCargosfan
06-27-2012, 10:29 PM
The League needs this contract to increase by atleast double 32 Million per season is reasonable considering the viewrship numbers this assest brings in. When Ottawa joins in that number should go up to 40 million per season. We need to get to the point in which league pay outs are covering a majority of the franchises opearitng costs. This will enable teams like the Argos and Ti-Cats to free up resources that have been setaside to cover opearting costs and put them into marketing dollars that will help them grow the season ticket base and gain traction in a marketplace.

While I agree, getting those kinds of numbers is unlikely. I would say hoping for $25 million-$30 million would be more realistic.

LLB997
06-28-2012, 02:24 AM
The articles comments were good for a few laughs. Especially the comment about how NFL practice squad players earn more than top tier CFLer's whichmakes the CFL less than a league. I always love laughing at the NFL 12 bucks an hour crowd gushing over multi millionaires.

gilthethrill
06-28-2012, 07:08 AM
I don't watch much tv anymore, escpecially in the summer. The only reason we have basic satellite is so I can watch CFL on TSN. My wife is a good sport for allowing me to do this, especially with the expensive cost of cable/satellite providers.

If I could watch CFL live without satellite, I would.

R.J
06-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't watch much tv anymore, escpecially in the summer. The only reason we have basic satellite is so I can watch CFL on TSN. My wife is a good sport for allowing me to do this, especially with the expensive cost of cable/satellite providers.

If I could watch CFL live without satellite, I would.
I'm in the same boat, thankfully now that I've moved cable is a lot cheaper where I live, previously was paying 75 bucks a month just to watch the CFl, now at about $43 (sad that's considered cheap/cheaper to me).

Should point out that all games can be found online for *cough*free*cough*, I know of a couple sites, obviously internet cost would still be there.

LLB997
06-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm in the same boat, thankfully now that I've moved cable is a lot cheaper where I live, previously was paying 75 bucks a month just to watch the CFl, now at about $43 (sad that's considered cheap/cheaper to me).

Should point out that all games can be found online for *cough*free*cough*, I know of a couple sites, obviously internet cost would still be there.

Any site where i can stream CFL games live would be nice to know about at this point because with 1 day until reg season starts TSN.ca is giving no indication that they will be streaming friday night games live. Its looking like i am going to be doing the TSN on demand thing this season.

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 08:23 AM
I really like the TSN coverage of the CFL better, wasn't a big fan of CBC coverage, though they do have a further national reach, "LLB997", here's a great site that allows you to stream all CFL games Live, http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/american-football.html.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8