PDA

View Full Version : ideas for in coming president Michael Copeland

eiben35
07-21-2015, 07:17 PM
For Argo season ticket holders in 2016. At least 100 bucks off Grey Cup tickets and 100 bucks off an Argos jersey. We need more fans wearing team merchandise.
Rent out the Molson Amphitheatre at least for the opening game. Get a great band.
Have a team ambassador like Drake for the Argos.
Have a Canadian qb contest just before training camp. The best Canadian gets a practice roster spot for the entire year.
Have a gate named after Argo great Pinball Clemons.

Your thoughts,

ArgoGabe22
07-21-2015, 08:08 PM
More alumni honours/events
A proper Season Ticket Holders event (Town Hall) before the season

ArgoZ
07-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Good ideas so far. I like the jersey idea. Get people wearing Argo gear as much as possible! I would like to suggest a BMO Field open house, where you can try out and pick your seats.

argotom
07-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Open house at BMO is a great idea.

Neely2005
07-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Honestly my biggest concern is how they're going to handle the seat selection at BMO Field for existing Season Ticket Holders.

An Open House at BMO Field to select your Season Seats is a great idea.

paulwoods13
07-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Open house is a good idea but more importantly there has to be fairness and transparency in how selection priority is handled. There aren't many STHs and we should all be able to get seats we like but I'm worried that some other groups like corporate sponsors or TFC STHs will be given first priority. I've already identified where I want to sit and I'm going to be disappointed if, after decades as a STH, I can't get something in that section.

I'd also like to know whether the home team bench will be on the east or west sideline. It's been east since 1989 which I think is nuts as it forces the argos to bake in the heat and look into the sun for all afternoon games.

T-Bone
07-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Open house is a good idea but more importantly there has to be fairness and transparency in how selection priority is handled. There aren't many STHs and we should all be able to get seats we like but I'm worried that some other groups like corporate sponsors or TFC STHs will be given first priority. I've already identified where I want to sit and I'm going to be disappointed if, after decades as a STH, I can't get something in that section.
I highly doubt TFC season ticket holders will get priority over current Argos season ticket holders. I agree and hope the Argos do make it clear how the process is going to work. My guess would be platinum season ticket holders by inception date, gold season ticket holders by inception date and so on.

I'd also like to know whether the home team bench will be on the east or west sideline. It's been east since 1989 which I think is nuts as it forces the argos to bake in the heat and look into the sun for all afternoon games.
Currently both benches are on the west side.

Will
07-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Any chance of holding some sort of open house at BMO this year? I realize the stadium is going to look different next year, but it'd be nice to get acclimatized.

argonaut11xx
07-22-2015, 03:40 PM
While all the idea's above are pretty neat, Copeland is probably smarter than ALL of us put together, and i'm sure he has everything figured out. This guy will hit the ground running

PullTogether73
07-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Currently both benches are on the west side.

Isn't that for soccer though?
I don't know of any (Canadian) football being played at BMO yet, so there is no precedent.
Also, aren't the teams usually on opposite sides of the field for CFL games, due to the number of people and equipment?
If so, I'm not sure what they would do with the lower level seats on the east side, as the view from there would be blocked.
And then there is the issue of where the change rooms are located. I assume that they are both on the west side for soccer.

Lots of questions, but I'm sure it's all being planned out in time for next season.

AngeloV
07-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Isn't that for soccer though?
I don't know of any (Canadian) football being played at BMO yet, so there is no precedent.
Also, aren't the teams usually on opposite sides of the field for CFL games, due to the number of people and equipment?
If so, I'm not sure what they would do with the lower level seats on the east side, as the view from there would be blocked.
And then there is the issue of where the change rooms are located. I assume that they are both on the west side for soccer.

Lots of questions, but I'm sure it's all being planned out in time for next season.

I believe they are on the same side in Montreal, and they definitely were at the old Ivor Wynne.

argotom
07-22-2015, 10:21 PM
You would want to put the visitors on the sunny side.
It does look better and probably less of a risk to keep the teams on opposite sides.

dmont
07-22-2015, 11:51 PM

1. Short term - better selection of merchandise, particularly for females 18-35. Ive noticed on my facebook feed that girls seem to like going to jays games now, and in every picture I see the girls are wearing a brand new jays hat and tank top / t shirt. Could it be that girls take a greater interest in attending and cheering on a team when they can get decked out in apparel? Also, as a male football fan, I like getting argo merch for my wife and seeing her support the team. Its not like the apparel doesnt already exist; the western CFL teams have tons of ladies apparel. Its just that the CFL/Argos don't make it available.

2. Long term - get some kind of waiver or permission to allow for a true tailgating experience down at the ex. Im not talking about the official team "party zones" from bremner or the bills in toronto series. I mean the real thing, (dare I say it?) AMERICAN tailgaiting experience. Need to give the fans a reason to choose attending the game over watching at home on the tv. I realize its against the law in Ontario, but now MLSE has two tenants at their stadium who would benefit, as would the Ticats and Redblacks. Time to organize and pressure the right people to change the law.

ArgoRavi
07-23-2015, 02:50 AM
I believe they are on the same side in Montreal, and they definitely were at the old Ivor Wynne.

I believe that the two teams are still on the same side at Tim Hortons Field and they are in Ottawa as well. It seems to be an eastern thing so Toronto would follow suit with their divisional counterparts if both teams are on the same sideline at BMO.

Will
07-23-2015, 01:05 PM

1. Short term - better selection of merchandise, particularly for females 18-35. Ive noticed on my facebook feed that girls seem to like going to jays games now, and in every picture I see the girls are wearing a brand new jays hat and tank top / t shirt. Could it be that girls take a greater interest in attending and cheering on a team when they can get decked out in apparel? Also, as a male football fan, I like getting argo merch for my wife and seeing her support the team. Its not like the apparel doesnt already exist; the western CFL teams have tons of ladies apparel. Its just that the CFL/Argos don't make it available.

2. Long term - get some kind of waiver or permission to allow for a true tailgating experience down at the ex. Im not talking about the official team "party zones" from bremner or the bills in toronto series. I mean the real thing, (dare I say it?) AMERICAN tailgaiting experience. Need to give the fans a reason to choose attending the game over watching at home on the tv. I realize its against the law in Ontario, but now MLSE has two tenants at their stadium who would benefit, as would the Ticats and Redblacks. Time to organize and pressure the right people to change the law.

Just out of curiosity why do all of your posts start with a . ?

Rocket
07-23-2015, 10:12 PM
All I hope is that Michael Copland puts in his time and does some work showing some passion for Argo and cfl football. And not to be anything like that idiot no good for nothing Chris rudge. Instead of sitting around and thinking up excuses like rudge I hope that Copland will have answers to the problems that are effecting the Toronto market.

argolio
07-24-2015, 12:33 AM
All I hope is that Michael Copland puts in his time and does some work showing some passion for Argo and cfl football. And not to be anything like that idiot no good for nothing Chris rudge. Instead of sitting around and thinking up excuses like rudge I hope that Copland will have answers to the problems that are effecting the Toronto market.Amazing that you think Rudge was given the mandate by Braley to do anything more than he actually did.

And it's Copeland.

dmont
07-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Just out of curiosity why do all of your posts start with a . ?

I got in that habit a while back. In a different forum, the text of a comment would appear very close to the top of a post. Particularly for short posts, this meant your text was placed way at the top of a comment followed by a big white space, and the text would look lost to me, and easily skipped-over.

I started putting the "." in the first line because that tended to center the text in the comment. A roughly equal vertical white space before and after the text, which I find more pleasing to the eye. Yes, it's a little OCD, but I'm too old to change now.

Neely2005
07-24-2015, 12:50 PM
All I hope is that Michael Copland puts in his time and does some work showing some passion for Argo and cfl football. And not to be anything like that idiot no good for nothing Chris rudge. Instead of sitting around and thinking up excuses like rudge I hope that Copland will have answers to the problems that are effecting the Toronto market.

Joining this Forum would be a good start.

dmont
11-10-2015, 05:14 PM

Excited to hear that Copeland says "Tailgating is coming to Toronto". Maybe he reads the forums ;)

I didn't know where to put this, so mods feel free to move to appropriate thread.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mike Copeland says tailgating is coming to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Toronto?src=hash">#Toronto</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PrimeTimeSE?src=hash">#PrimeTimeSE</a></p>&mdash; Shanty Hoops (@shantyhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/shantyhoops/status/664080987668660224">November 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AngeloV
11-10-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm not a tailgater, but I think it's great. Anything to add buzz to the game day experience.

R.J
11-10-2015, 09:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Argonauts will be the most accessible team in sports next year.&quot; - Argos prez Michael Copeland, who really wants to rebound <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PrimeTimeSE?src=hash">#PrimeTimeSE</a></p>&mdash; John Matisz (@MatiszJohn) <a href="https://twitter.com/MatiszJohn/status/664090136993357824">November 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoRavi
11-10-2015, 10:10 PM
I had my issues with Keith Pelley but he did a terrific job of ensuring that the Argos received great exposure in Toronto when he was the president. It sounds a bit like Copeland is going to take the team in a similar direction which would be a very good thing.

Argocister
11-10-2015, 10:28 PM
I'm not a tailgater, but I think it's great. Anything to add buzz to the game day experience.

Never say never!

ArgoFan1
11-11-2015, 01:16 AM
Tailgating has been going on big time in Hamilton for decades now. Every single game. Nothing to do with Ontario laws, obviously. I would change my plans and drive there if we get the opportunity to park and set up chairs and a table and have our food and drinks for a couple hours before the game. I was planning on transit to get to BMO because I remember how horrible it was getting out of the EX when they played there.
Both teams are on the same side currently in Hamilton at THF. Same side in Montreal, so it is not an issue.
I have eyed a spot that I would like to sit in so am hoping that I do get to sit there, since I am a season ticket holder. Would be annoyed if I was given a limited choice of places to sit.

Gill The Thrill
11-14-2015, 01:26 AM
No thanks, we want the Argos to emulate good role models, not end up being like the Dallas Cowboys. This guys' events have drawn problems in TO during the last 2 years, forget Drake as an ambassador, it's a terrible idea.

Argo57
11-14-2015, 07:30 AM
No thanks, we want the Argos to emulate good role models, not end up being like the Dallas Cowboys. This guys' events have drawn problems in TO during the last 2 years, forget Drake as an ambassador, it's a terrible idea.

Just market the piss out of this team and the product, keep the brand in people's faces, actually have easily accessible merchandise, you have to go through hoops to get Argonaut merchandise in the 905 area.
The ambassador thing is a joke, an excuse for some celebrity "super fan" to act like a big shit.
We already have an ambassador with no ego or hidden agenda Pinball, he represents the organization as it should be.

paulwoods13
11-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Just market the piss out of this team and the product, keep the brand in people's faces, actually have easily accessible merchandise, you have to go through hoops to get Argonaut merchandise in the 905 area.

You don't just hand merchandise to stores and it magically appears on shelves. They have to want to sell it, and that requires enough demand to warrant putting it into inventory. Nine years ago National Sports had tons of CFL merchandise for sale. A few months later they were selling it all off at a massive discount. Name-plated Ricky Williams jerseys for $50 and hot-pressed Jason Maas, Damon Allen and John Avery jerseys for $20. Not enough demand.

Fumblitis
11-14-2015, 10:29 AM
I think tailgating will go a long ways to promoting the Argos to the 30 and unders. Another poster mentioned marketing to women which is a great idea. There were pink Rider jerseys for women out of the Rider store a few years ago which were quite popular.

Gill The Thrill
11-14-2015, 10:44 AM
I think tailgating will go a long ways to promoting the Argos to the 30 and unders. Another poster mentioned marketing to women which is a great idea. There were pink Rider jerseys for women out of the Rider store a few years ago which were quite popular.

That's not what I notice at tailgates. It's usually middle aged men that are out with the hibachis on the back of their pickups and cooking up the meats. There are under 30's that will show up for the environment, but let's not put so much stock on just selling to under 30's. I know marketers do that, but the folks with the real money are men over 40, particularly at sporting events...Watch the platinum seats at the ACC and the boxes during the Blue Jays playoffs. That's where the real dough is and you don't see too many under 30 in there, unless they were invited by someone over 40 of course.

How many people do we all know, who used to go to an Argo game when they were younger, perhaps even in their teens or early 20's at the CNE, but barely went to any at the concrete jungle gym called Rogers Centre once the team moved there? many...so yes, you do got to get fans there by a certain age, but there is no guarantee that they'll be hooked for life. That being said, pre-game ambience that isn't canned and artificial like it was at the dome will be better, and the EX grounds by nature is a given for that.

You don't just hand merchandise to stores and it magically appears on shelves. They have to want to sell it, and that requires enough demand to warrant putting it into inventory. Nine years ago National Sports had tons of CFL merchandise for sale. A few months later they were selling it all off at a massive discount. Name-plated Ricky Williams jerseys for $50 and hot-pressed Jason Maas, Damon Allen and John Avery jerseys for $20. Not enough demand.A few months, boy did they give up on that quite quickly...not saying you're wrong Paul, especially about jerseys for other teams, but Argo stuff does move. Based on TV numbers, there surely should be enough Argo demand as their is TFC demand for merchandise, yet you see more people wearing TFC merchandise for the simple reason that there is more of it available. I have actually seen some improvement on Argo wear in the last several years compared to years past. I just find that some merchandisers choose to discriminate on whether they should carry CFL merchandise, while they don't at all when it comes to TFC, Raptors, and even NFL merchandise. I was at a sportchek within the last year and still saw Ryan Fitzpatrick Buffalo Bills jerseys still for sale at a discount, and it certainly had been more than 2 months since Fitzpatrick played for the Bills. You go to Canadian Tire, you'll notice tons of Raptors and TFC merchandise that doesn't move, a lot of it. Argo stuff does just as well, probably better in the GTA based on TV numbers, yet availability is more scarce...why?....because it's CFL merchandise that some store owners don't want to sell...period.

paulwoods13
11-14-2015, 12:51 PM
A few months, boy did they give up on that quite quickly...not saying you're wrong Paul, especially about jerseys for other teams, but Argo stuff does move.

Retailers are not in the business of carrying inventory that doesn't sell. They make decisions purely based on the bottom line. If they've tried to sell CFL merch and then blew out the inventory, it is because they've concluded it's dead stock. Customer demand, and profit margin, drive business decisions. Does anyone seriously think Natl Sports or SportChek or Cdn Tire would not carry CFL merch if it sold regularly? That retailers would deliberately not stock merch that would drive profits? Is there a grand conspiracy afoot?

Argo57
11-14-2015, 02:24 PM
A few months, boy did they give up on that quite quickly...not saying you're wrong Paul, especially about jerseys for other teams, but Argo stuff does move. Based on TV numbers, there surely should be enough Argo demand as their is TFC demand for merchandise, yet you see more people wearing TFC merchandise for the simple reason that there is more of it available. I have actually seen some improvement on Argo wear in the last several years compared to years past. I just find that some merchandisers choose to discriminate on whether they should carry CFL merchandise, while they don't at all when it comes to TFC, Raptors, and even NFL merchandise. I was at a sportchek within the last year and still saw Ryan Fitzpatrick Buffalo Bills jerseys still for sale at a discount, and it certainly had been more than 2 months since Fitzpatrick played for the Bills. You go to Canadian Tire, you'll notice tons of Raptors and TFC merchandise that doesn't move, a lot of it. Argo stuff does just as well, probably better in the GTA based on TV numbers, yet availability is more scarce...why?....because it's CFL merchandise that some store owners don't want to sell...period.

Well said, marketing and merchandizing go hand in hand, you are correct, go to any Sportchek and discount NFL jerseys are regularly available.
Basically as it stands now hardcore fans will get their Argo jerseys and the like but the casual fan won't buy merchandise if they don't see it.
Go to the Hammer, Tigertown stores have tons of merchandise and it sells, how about setting up a couple of strategically placed Argo-CFL stores and get the brand out there or perhaps take the approach that it didn't work a few years ago so it won't work now and throw in the towel.

argofan81
11-14-2015, 08:02 PM
A few months, boy did they give up on that quite quickly...not saying you're wrong Paul, especially about jerseys for other teams, but Argo stuff does move. Based on TV numbers, there surely should be enough Argo demand as their is TFC demand for merchandise, yet you see more people wearing TFC merchandise for the simple reason that there is more of it available. I have actually seen some improvement on Argo wear in the last several years compared to years past. I just find that some merchandisers choose to discriminate on whether they should carry CFL merchandise, while they don't at all when it comes to TFC, Raptors, and even NFL merchandise. I was at a sportchek within the last year and still saw Ryan Fitzpatrick Buffalo Bills jerseys still for sale at a discount, and it certainly had been more than 2 months since Fitzpatrick played for the Bills. You go to Canadian Tire, you'll notice tons of Raptors and TFC merchandise that doesn't move, a lot of it. Argo stuff does just as well, probably better in the GTA based on TV numbers, yet availability is more scarce...why?....because it's CFL merchandise that some store owners don't want to sell...period.

I think the major problem (with Argo merchandise specifically) is that of what is available, it is all the same. It's all t-shirts, jerseys, hats and the odd collectible piece (mugs, shot glasses, etc.). I am a proud Argo supporter/promoter but there are only so many of those items that I want. I have numerous hats, t-shirts and even a couple different jerseys but I've reached my limit on those items, save for if they manage to come out with one that is truly different from the rest. Give us different stuff!!!! In particular for next season (given games will now be outdoors), I'd like to see more clothing options (for the summer -- tank tops, shorts, pants, socks, flip flops, rain ponchos, etc..... For the winter -- winter coat, gloves/mitts, earmuffs, etc.). Give me more in the way of collectibles too -- how about a replica of our mascot (maybe a plush version), footballs, helmets (including the new white one), carpets, blankets, jewellery, noisemakers (beyond the stadium horns), etc, etc. While I agree that merchandise will not sell if the demand is not there, perhaps the demand isn't there because it is all the same. Look at what the Hamilton store or the riders store offer = variety = success!!!

Fumblitis
11-14-2015, 10:08 PM
I think the major problem (with Argo merchandise specifically) is that of what is available, it is all the same. It's all t-shirts, jerseys, hats and the odd collectible piece (mugs, shot glasses, etc.). I am a proud Argo supporter/promoter but there are only so many of those items that I want. I have numerous hats, t-shirts and even a couple different jerseys but I've reached my limit on those items, save for if they manage to come out with one that is truly different from the rest. Give us different stuff!!!! In particular for next season (given games will now be outdoors), I'd like to see more clothing options (for the summer -- tank tops, shorts, pants, socks, flip flops, rain ponchos, etc..... For the winter -- winter coat, gloves/mitts, earmuffs, etc.). Give me more in the way of collectibles too -- how about a replica of our mascot (maybe a plush version), footballs, helmets (including the new white one), carpets, blankets, jewellery, noisemakers (beyond the stadium horns), etc, etc. While I agree that merchandise will not sell if the demand is not there, perhaps the demand isn't there because it is all the same. Look at what the Hamilton store or the riders store offer = variety = success!!!Yes!!! You need an Argo barbecue cover!!!

Argo57
11-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Yes!!! You need an Argo barbecue cover!!!

A little off topic but a few years ago on a business trip in Saskatoon I visited a machine shop that had all of their CNC machines and their building painted Rider green, looking forward to visiting a Double blue shop someday!!!

Fumblitis
11-14-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm hoping to meet Michael Copeland at next year's tilt between the Argos/Riders at Mosaic next year. I hope I can invite him to tour the Rider store and see the array of merchandise so that he can convert it to Double Blue in the GTA. (Hell, my wife and kids bought me a Rider dog dish for my birthday in September...")

A little off topic but a few years ago on a business trip in Saskatoon I visited a machine shop that had all of their CNC machines and their building painted Rider green, looking forward to visiting a Double blue shop someday!!!I hope it happens. The Double Blue Shop should have been in malls around the GTA for years now.

R.J
11-14-2015, 11:24 PM
My ideas for Michael Copeland and TanenBELL.
Disclaimer : I have no idea how much any of this would cost and I apologize in advance for the length of this.

#1. Bell to use their media outlets to provide more exposure and hype for the Argonauts. Every 3-4 hour program on TSN 1050 should include at least one 15 minute segment with someone from the Argonauts or at least a talking point about the Argonauts. Advertising both on tv and radio for the Argonauts, the CRTC only allows for a % of advertising slots to be sold, so a % of slots is held for in house content, the Argonauts should be used in some of those slots. Have Argos football staff and player on programs such as Live at Noon on CP24, muchmusic countdown, heck maybe even get someone onto "The Social".

#2. Bell, Tanebaum and Copeland to set up sit downs with the other 3 major media outlets (Shaw/Corus, Rogers and CBC) and print media outlets, to try and figure out what can be done not only for getting Argonauts advertising within these outlets, but also how to get more Argos talk during their programming and within their sports sections. Have to think Shaw and CBC will be easier to deal with than Rogers, and with the Shaw Family owning Corus, there could be some good opportunities to get Argo news and exposure out there for potential Argonaut/CFL fans.

#3. Bell and Tanenbaum to not only use their corporate might and sway to bring in more Corporate revenue, but also use MLSE (Leafs) to do the same. If TFC can obtain $21 million and the Blue Bombers over $7.5 million in corporate revenue, I think it's possible for the Argonauts to bring in at least $10 million, which would be a huge boost for the team. A major bank, beer and/or liquor company and car/truck company are absolute musts IMO.

#4. Advertising and exposure for the Argonauts should be all over the place, buses, bus stop enclosures, subways, billboards, signage and flags along the highway. The team image has to be visible and accessible.

#5. Set up a deal with either Canadian Tire and /or Walmart, Loblaws etc, to provide more outlets for Argonauts merchandise, hopefully one potential company could also become a sponsor and we could see the Argonauts brand or players on things like the PC product line or something to that effect.

#6. Logo change - personally I would love to see the boat logo I'm currently using as my avatar, but I'd be happy with an update of the old boat logo. With Adidas becoming the new jersey provider for the CFL and based on an email I received from Mr. Lastman, I'm expecting new jerseys for next season. I'm just hoping the jersey designers understand that less is more and at least some degree of retro does work.

#7. I'd like to see an agreement made with Metrolinx in which Argonaut gameday tickets can be used as fare both to and from BMO, or at least from BMO (going home) or have the option for season ticket holders to include fare into your ticket (this way it's fair to those who don't use transit to get to and from games).

#8. It should feel like you're headed to an Argonauts game as you get close to the EX. Within the EX, Argonaut flags and banners hung on lamp posts and some of the building. Outside of the Ex - Flags and banners starting from within Liberty Villaage, down Strachan to the EX and even put some up on light posts through Lakeshore Blvd (at least close to the EX.)

#9. First home game ever at BMO, provide a concert over at the Molson Amphitheatre, pre-game and maybe even post-game. Then for every home game have tailgating and hold a massive Beer Garden with live entertainment to get people to come early and hopefully add to the overall game day experience.

#10. BMO should also feel like the home of the Argonauts, not just another another skydome situation. Within BMO there should be Argo signage throughout the stadium, even have the Argo logo painted in certain spots within the stadium. Doesn't have to be 50/50 with TFC, 60(TFC)/40 (Argos) is good, but it has to be visible to all that BMO is the shared home of the Argonauts, they can't be treated like a second class citizen. Even on the popcorn bags, beer cups and glasses etc have some Argo logos on them. Seat colurs shouldn't really matter, if it's sold out most people won't know or even will forget they're red.

#11. Player intro - This is probably going to sound stupid, but I'd love to see/hear a countdown for when the players come out, essentially have the Chris Jericho countdown (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Y0J2QuM9E) then fireworks galore, then play the teams intro song (whatever that may end up being), and then either have players from one unit announced individually (as currently done) or my personal favourite have the entire team come out together. I know how the Jericho countdown idea sounds lol, for some reason I just love it.

#12. Update the Argonauts song for when a touchdown is scored, to something with some more energy or take a page out of the NHL and play something like the NY Rangers goal song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCXNXO86CBI
Something that will hopefully engage the fans in unison.

#13. Season tickets holders should receive no more or less than 15% off of merchandise, I know some want $100 or more off of merchandise, but the Argonauts are still a business and no team in the CFL or NHL (at least the Canadian teams) give half off for regular priced jerseys, maybe locker room sales or end of the year sales fine, but we shouldn't ask for the moon.

#14. Season ticket packages and prices - Season tickets to include 11 games (1 preseason, 9 regular season and 1 playoff games), although I'm perfectly fine staying with the 10 game package. 5 price points, to provide variety seating, per game pricing would work out to, P1 $75, P2 $60, P3 $45, P4 $27.50, P5 $18.50

#15. Single game pricing would work out to 6 price points, P1 $85-95, P2 $70-80, P3 $50-60, P4 $35-40, P5 no more than $25, for the P6 try and get someone like 7/11, Mac's, Loblaws, etc to buy 1,000 "sponsor allotted" cheap endzone seats and provide a deal for something along the lines of 1 hot dog, drink and ticket or 1 t-shirt and ticket for $15-20.

#16. Take a page out of the NFL sponsor some high school and CIS games, pick 5-10 high school - Universities per year and become "the official sponsor" for one home game. Have the Argonauts logo prominent and maybe even have staff or players there as a guest coach or something, become a bigger and more visible part of the football community within the GTA.

#17. Become more involved with youth football in general, sponsor some of the youth and junior teams, along with providing an amount of tickets for football playing kids to come and see the Argonauts home games. Hold football camps for players and even coaches at the Argonauts practice facility. Bring back the level the playing field program, where the Argonauts used to provide financial assistance to high schools that lost their football programs. Speak with Provincial and GTA City leaders about setting up a program to build Canadian football specific fields at least within the GTA and Province of Ontario, call the program something like "If we build it", or something along those lines.

I had more, I just can't remember them now lol. Thanks in advance to anyone who does end up reading this.

shayman
11-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Look at what the Hamilton store or the riders store offer = variety = success!!!

No kidding. I got an offer in the mail for a Tiger-Cat hot water tank. ("Made with Hamilton, Ontario Steel.")

http://aplusair.ca/hamilton-ticats-water-heater/

Gill The Thrill
11-15-2015, 12:03 AM
Retailers are not in the business of carrying inventory that doesn't sell. They make decisions purely based on the bottom line. If they've tried to sell CFL merch and then blew out the inventory, it is because they've concluded it's dead stock. Customer demand, and profit margin, drive business decisions. Does anyone seriously think Natl Sports or SportChek or Cdn Tire would not carry CFL merch if it sold regularly? That retailers would deliberately not stock merch that would drive profits? Is there a grand conspiracy afoot?Then why do they have tons of TFC or Raptors stuff that doesn't sell...because they won't get Leaf stuff from MLSE and NHL licensing without agreeing to sell the "deadstock" as you call it in the form of TFC and Raptors stuff. Conspiracy is a word you mentioned, or a word you maybe got from another post, but not mine. Even if Raptors and TFC merch doesn't sell as much as Leafs merchandise, it's still available, which means people can buy it, even if there not big fans and pick it up at discount prices. Those teams are still getting the exposure of having their product sold on racks and shelves, which at least gives it a chance of being sold to people who'll wear it on the street. The Argos are losing that by not having as much available, but it has gotten a little better and will continue to do so with a corporate owner behind the organization.

PS- Hopefully Orridge can get a consistent merchandising deal with CT, or Sportchek or Walmart...maybe even Champs. All those places look like Blue Jays and Raptors headquarters. Not a fan of the retail CFL shops and don't think the league would be either as the overhead of renting retail space does not make that as feasible. The Raps and TFC don't have retail space because they also don't have the sole demand, and Jays shop is really tied with the Eaton Centre and backed by Rogers.

Fumblitis
11-15-2015, 12:34 AM
My ideas for Michael Copeland and TanenBELL.
Disclaimer : I have no idea how much any of this would cost and I apologize in advance for the length of this.

#1. Bell to use their media outlets to provide more exposure and hype for the Argonauts. Every 3-4 hour program on TSN 1050 should include at least one 15 minute segment with someone from the Argonauts or at least a talking point about the Argonauts. Advertising both on tv and radio for the Argonauts, the CRTC only allows for a % of advertising slots to be sold, so a % of slots is held for in house content, the Argonauts should be used in some of those slots. Have Argos football staff and player on programs such as Live at Noon on CP24, muchmusic countdown, heck maybe even get someone onto "The Social".

#2. Bell, Tanebaum and Copeland to set up sit downs with the other 3 major media outlets (Shaw/Corus, Rogers and CBC) and print media outlets, to try and figure out what can be done not only for getting Argonauts advertising within these outlets, but also how to get more Argos talk during their programming and within their sports sections. Have to think Shaw and CBC will be easier to deal with than Rogers, and with the Shaw Family owning Corus, there could be some good opportunities to get Argo news and exposure out there for potential Argonaut/CFL fans.

#3. Bell and Tanenbaum to not only use their corporate might and sway to bring in more Corporate revenue, but also use MLSE (Leafs) to do the same. If TFC can obtain $21 million and the Blue Bombers over $7.5 million in corporate revenue, I think it's possible for the Argonauts to bring in at least $10 million, which would be a huge boost for the team. A major bank, beer and/or liquor company and car/truck company are absolute musts IMO.

#4. Advertising and exposure for the Argonauts should be all over the place, buses, bus stop enclosures, subways, billboards, signage and flags along the highway. The team image has to be visible and accessible.

#5. Set up a deal with either Canadian Tire and /or Walmart, Loblaws etc, to provide more outlets for Argonauts merchandise, hopefully one potential company could also become a sponsor and we could see the Argonauts brand or players on things like the PC product line or something to that effect.

#6. Logo change - personally I would love to see the boat logo I'm currently using as my avatar, but I'd be happy with an update of the old boat logo. With Adidas becoming the new jersey provider for the CFL and based on an email I received from Mr. Lastman, I'm expecting new jerseys for next season. I'm just hoping the jersey designers understand that less is more and at least some degree of retro does work.

#7. I'd like to see an agreement made with Metrolinx in which Argonaut gameday tickets can be used as fare both to and from BMO, or at least from BMO (going home) or have the option for season ticket holders to include fare into your ticket (this way it's fair to those who don't use transit to get to and from games).

#8. It should feel like you're headed to an Argonauts game as you get close to the EX. Within the EX, Argonaut flags and banners hung on lamp posts and some of the building. Outside of the Ex - Flags and banners starting from within Liberty Villaage, down Strachan to the EX and even put some up on light posts through Lakeshore Blvd (at least close to the EX.)

#9. First home game ever at BMO, provide a concert over at the Molson Amphitheatre, pre-game and maybe even post-game. Then for every home game have tailgating and hold a massive Beer Garden with live entertainment to get people to come early and hopefully add to the overall game day experience.

#10. BMO should also feel like the home of the Argonauts, not just another another skydome situation. Within BMO there should be Argo signage throughout the stadium, even have the Argo logo painted in certain spots within the stadium. Doesn't have to be 50/50 with TFC, 60(TFC)/40 (Argos) is good, but it has to be visible to all that BMO is the shared home of the Argonauts, they can't be treated like a second class citizen. Even on the popcorn bags, beer cups and glasses etc have some Argo logos on them. Seat colurs shouldn't really matter, if it's sold out most people won't know or even will forget they're red.

#11. Player intro - This is probably going to sound stupid, but I'd love to see/hear a countdown for when the players come out, essentially have the Chris Jericho countdown (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Y0J2QuM9E) then fireworks galore, then play the teams intro song (whatever that may end up being), and then either have players from one unit announced individually (as currently done) or my personal favourite have the entire team come out together. I know how the Jericho countdown idea sounds lol, for some reason I just love it.

#12. Update the Argonauts song for when a touchdown is scored, to something with some more energy or take a page out of the NHL and play something like the NY Rangers goal song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCXNXO86CBI
Something that will hopefully engage the fans in unison.

#13. Season tickets holders should receive no more or less than 15% off of merchandise, I know some want $100 or more off of merchandise, but the Argonauts are still a business and no team in the CFL or NHL (at least the Canadian teams) give half off for regular priced jerseys, maybe locker room sales or end of the year sales fine, but we shouldn't ask for the moon.

#14. Season ticket packages and prices - Season tickets to include 11 games (1 preseason, 9 regular season and 1 playoff games), although I'm perfectly fine staying with the 10 game package. 5 price points, to provide variety seating, per game pricing would work out to, P1 $75, P2 $60, P3 $45, P4 $27.50, P5 $18.50

#15. Single game pricing would work out to 6 price points, P1 $85-95, P2 $70-80, P3 $50-60, P4 $35-40, P5 no more than $25, for the P6 try and get someone like 7/11, Mac's, Loblaws, etc to buy 1,000 "sponsor allotted" cheap endzone seats and provide a deal for something along the lines of 1 hot dog, drink and ticket or 1 t-shirt and ticket for $15-20.

#16. Take a page out of the NFL sponsor some high school and CIS games, pick 5-10 high school - Universities per year and become "the official sponsor" for one home game. Have the Argonauts logo prominent and maybe even have staff or players there as a guest coach or something, become a bigger and more visible part of the football community within the GTA.

#17. Become more involved with youth football in general, sponsor some of the youth and junior teams, along with providing an amount of tickets for football playing kids to come and see the Argonauts home games. Hold football camps for players and even coaches at the Argonauts practice facility. Bring back the level the playing field program, where the Argonauts used to provide financial assistance to high schools that lost their football programs. Speak with Provincial and GTA City leaders about setting up a program to build Canadian football specific fields at least within the GTA and Province of Ontario, call the program something like "If we build it", or something along those lines.

I had more, I just can't remember them now lol. Thanks in advance to anyone who does end up reading this.I want to discuss point number one. Yes, you need a radio media outlet to talk Argos like you're suggesting but you need one media outlet to play the role of "tow the line" which is likely to be Hoagie and another media outlet to play "devils advocate"...meaning: a media outlet that will give an honest assessment of the on field side of the team and won't be afraid to critique the on field actions of the team. By that I mean the Argos need a critique of their on field performance...not be judged by the typical "CFL is second rate" type of critique that Rogers offers.

R.J
11-15-2015, 01:52 AM
While walking my dog, I remembered a few more. The site wouldn't let me add all of it in so I'll just add them here.

#18. Sponsorship gala/event - I've been told the Argonauts used to hold an event for corporate sponsors. So I'd like to see this come back and maybe tie in a charity, so hopefully not only the Argonauts benefit, but a good cause can as well. This event would be held so that the Argonauts could "sell" the team to potential sponsors and sell in stadium corporate advertising. A "suit" event so to speak, or maybe something similar to the "Inside the CFL " event which was held earlier this year.

#19. Bring back the "Town Hall' for the fans, hold a fan event with team guests such as Michael Copeland, Jim Barker, Scott Milanovich etc, so that fans can interact with them and have their respectful voices heard if need be.

#20. Keep the "Make Noise" graphics going once in BMO, personally I think it's a lot better than when the PA announcer tells us to do it, and last season at certain times when it occured, loud music was played after the request, which drowned out the fans. Hopefully the fanbase gets to the point where we don't needs ques from anyone to bring the noise.

#21. If a car sponsor is brought in, see if the company is wiling to "give-away" a vehicle as part of the sponsorship and the Argonauts could use it as part of a fan only contest. I believe the Argos used to do this a few years ago, not sure why they stopped.

#22. Find a type of "International Ambassador" for the team, someone like Drake I suppose (obviously doesn't have to be him), to help "sell" the brand internationally and locally, maybe even convince the individual to wear Argonaut jerseys or hats at events like concerts, award shows etc.

#23. Keep Pinball around in some capacity and use him in anyway you can, whether it be to sell the team, brand and game to sponsors and/or the youth demographic (8-34) within the GTA and Nationally.

#24. Find a way to get Bob McCown back onboard with the Argonauts. Honestly I'm not even the biggest fan of this idea, but the fact is McCown has the most listened to sports radio show in the GTA and Nationally as well I believe. If he can become more positive about the Argonauts and "hype up" the team more, along with having someone from the Argonauts on his show at least 2-3 times a week, I think it could help the organization.

#25. Provide Barker and Milanovich the necessary funds and support needed to keep this team competitive (within budgetary reason obviously). I'm not expecting or even asking for the Argonauts to overspend, but I'd like to see this team spend competitively with the other teams in the league. I would love to see the Argos hire someone like former Miami Dolphins scout, Rough Riders LB & St's coach and assistant player personnel for the Bombers Mike Murphy, as assistant GM, Director of U.S scouting and/or Director of Player Personnel. Also better coaching replacements for Younger and Creehan.

Fumblitis
11-15-2015, 02:13 AM
While walking my dog, I remembered a few more. The site wouldn't let me add all of it in so I'll just add them here.

#18. Sponsorship gala/event - I've been told the Argonauts used to hold an event for corporate sponsors. So I'd like to see this come back and maybe tie in a charity, so hopefully not only the Argonauts benefit, but a good cause can as well. This event would be held so that the Argonauts could "sell" the team to potential sponsors and sell in stadium corporate advertising. A "suit" event so to speak, or maybe something similar to the "Inside the CFL " event which was held earlier this year.

#19. Bring back the "Town Hall' for the fans, hold a fan event with team guests such as Michael Copeland, Jim Barker, Scott Milanovich etc, so that fans can interact with them and have their respectful voices heard if need be.

#20. Keep the "Make Noise" graphics going once in BMO, personally I think it's a lot better than when the PA announcer tells us to do it, and last season at certain times when it occured, loud music was played after the request, which drowned out the fans. Hopefully the fanbase gets to the point where we don't needs ques from anyone to bring the noise.

#21. If a car sponsor is brought in, see if the company is wiling to "give-away" a vehicle as part of the sponsorship and the Argonauts could use it as part of a fan only contest. I believe the Argos used to do this a few years ago, not sure why they stopped.

#22. Find a type of "International Ambassador" for the team, someone like Drake I suppose (obviously doesn't have to be him), to help "sell" the brand internationally and locally, maybe even convince the individual to wear Argonaut jerseys or hats at events like concerts, award shows etc.

#23. Keep Pinball around in some capacity and use him in anyway you can, whether it be to sell the team, brand and game to sponsors and/or the youth demographic (8-34) within the GTA and Nationally.

#24. Find a way to get Bob McCown back onboard with the Argonauts. Honestly I'm not even the biggest fan of this idea, but the fact is McCown has the most listened to sports radio show in the GTA and Nationally as well I believe. If he can become more positive about the Argonauts and "hype up" the team more, along with having someone from the Argonauts on his show at least 2-3 times a week, I think it could help the organization.

#25. Provide Barker and Milanovich the necessary funds and support needed to keep this team competitive (within budgetary reason obviously). I'm not expecting or even asking for the Argonauts to overspend, but I'd like to see this team spend competitively with the other teams in the league. I would love to see the Argos hire someone like former Miami Dolphins scout, Rough Riders LB & St's coach and assistant player personnel for the Bombers Mike Murphy, as assistant GM, Director of U.S scouting and/or Director of Player Personnel. Also better coaching replacements for Younger and Creehan.Ok let's discuss point #25. If I were Copeland, I would tell Milo and Barker to keep up the great work! Never have I seen in the years I've watched football a GM and coach be able to recruit and beat all odds like these two have. They've faced the toughest odds and yet will be a finalist. My prediction? Argos squeak one out over the TiCats and beat Ottawa by a touchdown next week. They lose frigidly to Edmonton in the final 21-18.

paulwoods13
11-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Most of SnowRogue's ideas are excellent. I especially agree with "Something that will hopefully engage the fans in unison." A sing-along/chant-along celebration song makes any sporting event better. I've wanted this for years.

A few of them are probably too expensive, and No. 2 is a non-starter at least where Rogers is concerned. They will happily sell ads to the Argos, but the only way they will agree to talk Argos more often is if there is a huge -- and I mean huge -- ad buy associated with it.

Then why do they have tons of TFC or Raptors stuff that doesn't sell...because they won't get Leaf stuff from MLSE and NHL licensing without agreeing to sell the "deadstock" as you call it in the form of TFC and Raptors stuff.

If you think Raptors stuff doesn't sell, you haven't walked around a shopping mall or a high school lately. TFC merch is not a big seller but I don't see "tons" of TFC stuff in any store other than the SportChek outside ACC. And it's entirely possible that stocking TFC items is a quid pro quo for getting access to the bigger-selling Leafs and Raptors merch. The CFL isn't in position to "force" less-popular merch into stores the way MLSE is. The CFL has had limited merchandise exposure in southern Ontario since the early 1990s -- almost 25 years. Orridge isn't going to find it easy to buck that trend. He can try his best, but retailers will decide based on economics, not patriotism or any other non-economic factor.

Yes!!! You need an Argo barbecue cover!!!

Those were available a few years ago, and might still be. I nearly bought one from Barbecues Galore.

ArgoZ
11-15-2015, 09:25 AM
If you think Raptors stuff doesn't sell, you haven't walked around a shopping mall or a high school lately. TFC merch is not a big seller but I don't see "tons" of TFC stuff in any store other than the SportChek outside ACC. And it's entirely possible that stocking TFC items is a quid pro quo for getting access to the bigger-selling Leafs and Raptors merch. The CFL isn't in position to "force" less-popular merch into stores the way MLSE is. The CFL has had limited merchandise exposure in southern Ontario since the early 1990s -- almost 25 years. Orridge isn't going to find it easy to buck that trend. He can try his best, but retailers will decide based on economics, not patriotism or any other non-economic factor.

Raptors sell extremely well, especially hats. The "We the North" campaign was a huge hit. Combine that with Drake's "OVO" limited edition merchandise, they have been a marketing success. The Raptors have captured that younger demographic that we all hear about, I would even say more than the Leafs.

Gill The Thrill
11-15-2015, 10:40 AM

Once again Paul, you choose to not interpret posts properly and get into another topic. (high school age sports paraphenalia being worn)

1) Where did I write that Raptors stuff is not seen in High schools. Last time I checked high schoolers aren't paying money to sit in Platinums and Golds at the ACC.

2) Is the high school age student the only market that can buy sports paraphenalia?Answer = NO

3) Go to Canadian Tire and Walmart --- you'll see tons of Raptors and TFC t-shirts. (Some Walmarts carry Argo gear as well) So the theory that more of it sells is perfectly valid, since it is available to be sold in more stores. If just as many Argo t-shirts were available in different stores, perhaps more would be seen. Makes perfect sense doesn't it, I'm not talking exact numbers or as many, but at least more would be sold.The Argos should not be below TFC in merchandise sales, and judging by TV ratings should not even be below the Raptors.

4) Let's not even talk about the Drake effect. Teenagers have proven generation after generation that they are sheep. The smart ones will laugh at how they looked and dress and may not even be Raptor fans or even sports fans by the time they're 20, let alone 25. The losers will dress like they are in high school even well into their adult years...it's quite sad. I saw a 50+ year old guy with a straight brimmed cap wearing bling and sweat pants with a pleather jacket and high top basketball shoes. (contemporary teenage clothing in 2015 fashion) This may not be nice to say, but I had to hold my laughter. He looked totally ridiculous dressing like he was 17 years old with wrinkles on his face.

This topic can go in many different directions, probably places where you may not feel comfortable going to as it deals with demographic divides. I know schools quite well and have even mentioned how popular basketball is compared to even hockey in many schools on other posts, especially in 416. There are neighbourhoods where hockey and even baseball and football don't exist, and it's all Raptors with some soccer support. Conversely, some other neighbourhoods where hockey, baseball and even football is more followed than the Raptors and the NBA is just an afterthought to NHL, MLB, NFL and possibly even the CFL. The MLS judged by their TV ratings is not big, but they have their pockets of demographic groups in the GTA that do pick soccer over any sport. They also have the choice to watch higher level soccer on TV, in much the same way that football fans can choose to stay home and watch the NFL instead of venturing to a CFL stadium.

It's these football fans that have to be sold on the live event. If they can entice that generation that the live event of attending a CFL game is better than betting and watching the NFL on TV, then they'll have a chance. BMO field will provide the Argos with that chance as it is known as being a pleasant place to be for TFC games and a fun place to watch sports.

R.J
11-15-2015, 10:52 AM
I want to discuss point number one. Yes, you need a radio media outlet to talk Argos like you're suggesting but you need one media outlet to play the role of "tow the line" which is likely to be Hoagie and another media outlet to play "devils advocate"...meaning: a media outlet that will give an honest assessment of the on field side of the team and won't be afraid to critique the on field actions of the team. By that I mean the Argos need a critique of their on field performance...not be judged by the typical "CFL is second rate" type of critique that Rogers offers.
I think you want to discuss points 1 and 2, since #1 focuses on BELL using their media outlets and point 2 brings up the idea of getting other media outlets involved. Bell would be the media outlet that would "tow the line" as you say and maybe AM640 (corus) could play devils advocate. I agree the CFL is second rate stuff via the media needs to end. While I doubt this will happen anytime soon, I'm hoping with the new ownership the focus now becomes the on field product, but with Rogers around it'll be an uphill battle and we'll continue to hear mockingly useless off field information from Rogers media. Especially if there's ever anything wrong with the grass.

Ok let's discuss point #25. If I were Copeland, I would tell Milo and Barker to keep up the great work! Never have I seen in the years I've watched football a GM and coach be able to recruit and beat all odds like these two have. They've faced the toughest odds and yet will be a finalist. My prediction? Argos squeak one out over the TiCats and beat Ottawa by a touchdown next week. They lose frigidly to Edmonton in the final 21-18.
I hope you're not suggesting Barker and Milanovich should continue running the team on a shoestring budget.

1argoholic
11-15-2015, 11:15 AM
I used to go to the Argos annual lunch or whatever it was called. It would be cool to have that again.

Message to Mr President, get this organizations shit together. Hire office staff, marketing staff and give fans hope that BMO will somehow be different and a real home field advantage like Tims is to Hambone. Perhaps we can beat Hamilton at our new home.

Frustrating year ends in heartbreak to a Hamilton 10th string qb. Great way to end it.

paulwoods13
11-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Once again Paul, you choose to not interpret posts properly and get into another topic. (high school age sports paraphenalia being worn)

1) Where did I write that Raptors stuff is not seen in High schools. Last time I checked high schoolers aren't paying money to sit in Platinums and Golds at the ACC.

2) Is the high school age student the only market that can buy sports paraphenalia?Answer = NO

3) Go to Canadian Tire and Walmart --- you'll see tons of Raptors and TFC t-shirts. (Some Walmarts carry Argo gear as well) So the theory that more of it sells is perfectly valid, since it is available to be sold in more stores. If just as many Argo t-shirts were available in different stores, perhaps more would be seen. Makes perfect sense doesn't it, I'm not talking exact numbers or as many, but at least more would be sold.

You wrote that stores have "tons of unsold Raptors stuff." I argued otherwise. Clearly tons of Raptors stuff is selling -- even you now seem to acknowledge that -- and I don't buy that the stores are sitting on big inventories they can't unload.

As to your second point, sure -- if Argo t-shirts were available in stores, some of them would sell, and certainly more than sell now through online and in-stadium purchases. However, evidence and common sense suggests that the reason those shirts aren't in stores is because not enough of them would sell to justify carrying the stock. Evidence: many stores over the years have tried and now don't carry it. Common sense: businesses operate to maximize profits, not promote particular sports leagues.

ArgoGabe22
11-15-2015, 05:39 PM

Kardinal Offishal or Karl Wolf ? ;) (Both have been around the Argos for the last couple years FYI)

Argo57
11-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Win a playoff game!!

R.J
11-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Kardinal Offishal or Karl Wolf ? ;) (Both have been around the Argos for the last couple years FYI)

Karl Wolf, expletive deleted NO, lol. Offishal maybe, but he's not really relevant anymore, or at least not as big of a name as he used to be. We need someone at the top of the game right now, so to speak.

Ballstothewall
11-16-2015, 07:41 PM
You wrote that stores have "tons of unsold Raptors stuff." I argued otherwise. Clearly tons of Raptors stuff is selling -- even you now seem to acknowledge that -- and I don't buy that the stores are sitting on big inventories they can't unload.

As to your second point, sure -- if Argo t-shirts were available in stores, some of them would sell, and certainly more than sell now through online and in-stadium purchases. However, evidence and common sense suggests that the reason those shirts aren't in stores is because not enough of them would sell to justify carrying the stock. Evidence: many stores over the years have tried and now don't carry it. Common sense: businesses operate to maximize profits, not promote particular sports leagues.
Went into my local Shppers Drug mart and they had a bin full of Argo socks ( don't ask me why) I bought 3 pairs, went back the next day and they were all gone. Manager told me They got them by mistake, was going to ship them back, but thought he would put a good price on them. Said he soldout 200 pairs in 36 hours. Argo stuff has not been sold in stores for 20 years. Start putting stuff in major stores and they will sell, will take some time, but they will sell. I don't get why the Argos don't flood the marketplace with Tshirts. They can be cheap to buy for the Argos, and sold cheap by the stores. Put 15$ Tshirts out at stores and they will move a ton, then the sheep in this city will see Argo Tshirts everywhere and the perception starts to change . Hell the Argos could buy these shirts for 5 bucks or less, make 5 different types and fire a 1000 of them per game into the crowd

ArgoGabe22
11-16-2015, 07:44 PM
I was at the sports card show and one vendor was selling old stock I pressume from New Era. I picked up a few Argos shirts and a cap and overheard the vendor saying that the CFL stuff is selling well. But this was at a discounted price. Shirts $10, hats $14.

paulwoods13
11-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Start putting stuff in major stores and they will sell, will take some time, but they will sell. I don't get why the Argos don't flood the marketplace with Tshirts. They can be cheap to buy for the Argos, and sold cheap by the stores. Put 15$ Tshirts out at stores and they will move a ton, then the sheep in this city will see Argo Tshirts everywhere and the perception starts to change . Hell the Argos could buy these shirts for 5 bucks or less, make 5 different types and fire a 1000 of them per game into the crowd

As I have said, stores choose the stock they carry based on what they expect to sell and provide profit. You don't just "put stuff" in stores -- you have to persuade them to choose your merchandise over other merchandise. The CFL has been trying to do this for 30-plus years. It's fairly easy to do in the Prairie provinces, and virtually impossible in southern Ontario and especially Toronto. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

Will
11-18-2015, 12:11 PM
This is not necessarily something specific for the new president, but I wouldn't mind seeing a resurgence of the rivalry with the Tiger-Cats from our perspective. There is no doubt that the Hamilton fans hate the Argos, and die-hard Argo fans hate the Ticats too, but the lack of casual fanbase in Toronto has meant the rivalry has suffered from our perspective. I would try to lobby the league to see if a set game could be created for Toronto vs. Hamilton similar to what the Tiger-Cats have on Labour Day. Perhaps during the CNE as that used to be tradition.

Downtownfan
11-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Somewhere at BMO I would really like to see a plaque or some sort of listing of all the Argonauts who have served in the armed forces since the team's founding in 1873. There have been a few, even recently, I think, and it would be a nice gesture to recognize their service. Doesn't have to be too big, but of a respectful size. We often "honour" many former players for their on-field exploits which we should continue to do, but this would be something different, and would really recognize just how long this team has been a part of Toronto and the Canadian community.

AngeloV
11-18-2015, 01:32 PM
This is not necessarily something specific for the new president, but I wouldn't mind seeing a resurgence of the rivalry with the Tiger-Cats from our perspective. There is no doubt that the Hamilton fans hate the Argos, and die-hard Argo fans hate the Ticats too, but the lack of casual fanbase in Toronto has meant the rivalry has suffered from our perspective. I would try to lobby the league to see if a set game could be created for Toronto vs. Hamilton similar to what the Tiger-Cats have on Labour Day. Perhaps during the CNE as that used to be tradition.

Good idea. Thanksgiving Monday would work well too, IMO.

Ballstothewall
11-18-2015, 03:10 PM
As I have said, stores choose the stock they carry based on what they expect to sell and provide profit. You don't just "put stuff" in stores -- you have to persuade them to choose your merchandise over other merchandise. The CFL has been trying to do this for 30-plus years. It's fairly easy to do in the Prairie provinces, and virtually impossible in southern Ontario and especially Toronto. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

I understand the business model Paul, what people are saying is why do store carry 2 racks of Tennesses Titan merchandize and yet no Argo gear. I asked a store manager if there is realy that many Titan fans and Red Sock fans in T.O, as they also had tons of Red Sock stuff, was told he had not sold 1 Titan item in 4 months, but they must buy a % of every NFL team to qualify for best pricing from the vendor. So it's nothing to do with judging the marketplace

paulwoods13
11-18-2015, 03:15 PM
they must buy a % of every NFL team to qualify for best pricing from the vendor. So it's nothing to do with judging the marketplace

Actually it is. If this is true, they judged that the marketplace wants NFL merch and concluded they were willing to accept some poor-selling merch to get the stuff that sells.

Neely2005
11-18-2015, 03:31 PM
I understand the business model Paul, what people are saying is why do store carry 2 racks of Tennesses Titan merchandize and yet no Argo gear. I asked a store manager if there is realy that many Titan fans and Red Sock fans in T.O, as they also had tons of Red Sock stuff, was told he had not sold 1 Titan item in 4 months, but they must buy a % of every NFL team to qualify for best pricing from the vendor. So it's nothing to do with judging the marketplace

There are lots of Red Sox (and Yankees) fans in Toronto.

R.J
11-18-2015, 05:05 PM
A prank war between Ticat fans and GTA residents is one thing I believe could help reignite and fuel the heated rivalry.

Kenners
11-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Karl Wolf, expletive deleted NO, lol. Offishal maybe, but he's not really relevant anymore, or at least not as big of a name as he used to be. We need someone at the top of the game right now, so to speak.

I'd love Kardi to be honest...lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9W6Jl3beOlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PullTogether73
11-19-2015, 06:20 AM

Usually, the set game is the Saturday right after the Labour Day Monday game.
Same situation for the Stampeders/Eskimos Labour Day game.
I always thought it was done that way so that the Argos and Eskimos have a quick follow up home game to benefit from the rivalry tradition of the Labour Day games, since those are always held in Hamilton and Calgary.

Will
11-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Usually, the set game is the Saturday right after the Labour Day Monday game.
Same situation for the Stampeders/Eskimos Labour Day game.
I always thought it was done that way so that the Argos and Eskimos have a quick follow up home game to benefit from the rivalry tradition of the Labour Day games, since those are always held in Hamilton and Calgary.

But, only the Calgary @ Edmonton rematch is set in stone. The Argos have no definitive home game against the Tiger-Cats akin to Labour Day.

AngeloV
11-19-2015, 12:30 PM
But, only the Calgary @ Edmonton rematch is set in stone. The Argos have no definitive home game against the Tiger-Cats akin to Labour Day.

Likely because of their available dates at the dome. I expect that to change, and this will likely become an annual thing.

Scooter McCray
11-19-2015, 12:44 PM
I like the idea of having Labour Day in Hamilton and Thanksgiving in Toronto. I don't like them playing 4 or 5 days later. With Labour Day and Thanksgiving you have 2 important fall day games when the schedule likely means the games have alot of importance to standings. Once a 10th team joins the East, there will be a home and away for each team, which means that the 2 games played will matter, be important and can be hyped up to really mean something with your most hated rival.

AngeloV
11-19-2015, 12:49 PM
I like the idea of having Labour Day in Hamilton and Thanksgiving in Toronto. I don't like them playing 4 or 5 days later. With Labour Day and Thanksgiving you have 2 important fall day games when the schedule likely means the games have alot of importance to standings. Once a 10th team joins the East, there will be a home and away for each team, which means that the 2 games played will matter, be important and can be hyped up to really mean something with your most hated rival.

That would be my preference. I am not really that big on back to back against the same team.

paulwoods13
11-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Two games four days apart, as has happened when the rematch is on a Friday, should never happen now that the Argos should (will?) have some control over their dates. There will have to be some five-day intervals to keep TSN happy, and there is one week with five games so someone gets short end of the stick, but otherwise we can hope for a steady diet of intervals approximating a full week, I hope.

Put my down as a second for Scooter's suggestion that Thanksgiving weekend be an annual Ham at Tor game, our equivalent of LDay.

ArgoRavi
11-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Two games four days apart, as has happened when the rematch is on a Friday, should never happen now that the Argos should (will?) have some control over their dates. There will have to be some five-day intervals to keep TSN happy, and there is one week with five games so someone gets short end of the stick, but otherwise we can hope for a steady diet of intervals approximating a full week, I hope.

Put my down as a second for Scooter's suggestion that Thanksgiving weekend be an annual Ham at Tor game, our equivalent of LDay.

We should also see the schedule much earlier, I would think, now that Rogers can't make the CFL's/Argos' life difficult any longer.

paulwoods13
11-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Yes -- I really hope we see it no later than second wk of Jan. Have to make some plans around next year's sked and in particular the home opener.

johnnyice
11-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Socks would be neat , mine are getting old; white on double blue or the Oxford blue . Shorts would be nice ( double blue cammo style ) ; I have seen some cool homemade looking double blue pants .
Warm weather jacket ( 3 in 1 style bomber or something with a fleece liner )
Lobby the MOH for a license plate option; that " A " really sucks ...the plate logo should be the " Pull Together Argos" boat.

PullTogether73
11-20-2015, 06:00 AM
We should also see the schedule much earlier, I would think, now that Rogers can't make the CFL's/Argos' life difficult any longer.

How did Rogers have any influence on CFL schedule release times?
The MLB schedule is available now for the 2016 season and has been available this early in past years.

If anything, the Argonauts now have to wait for the MLS schedule to be released, which I don't believe is available yet, since TFC gets priority for dates at BMO Field.

Treblecharger1
11-20-2015, 07:30 AM
The Argos in the last 10 years had to wait until Rogers filled concert and event dates prior to be given a list of dates that would usually only consist of 11 or 12 possible options. We should have a schedule by January this season.

AngeloV
11-20-2015, 09:47 AM
How did Rogers have any influence on CFL schedule release times?
The MLB schedule is available now for the 2016 season and has been available this early in past years.

If anything, the Argonauts now have to wait for the MLS schedule to be released, which I don't believe is available yet, since TFC gets priority for dates at BMO Field.

The Argos in the last 10 years had to wait until Rogers filled concert and event dates prior to be given a list of dates that would usually only consist of 11 or 12 possible options. We should have a schedule by January this season.

Yes, that was reported in the media every year while fans were waiting for the release of the sked.

1argoholic
11-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Rogers rep called me because I cancelled my cel phone. I told him all about the Rogers hate and he was going to look into it. He liked the Argos. Oh well I'm done with Rogers totally now. I'm actually done with cel or handhelds of any type.

Rogers will be brought back down to earth.

PullTogether73
11-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Rogers rep called me because I cancelled my cel phone. I told him all about the Rogers hate and he was going to look into it. He liked the Argos. Oh well I'm done with Rogers totally now. I'm actually done with cel or handhelds of any type.

And the above has what to do with suggestions for Michael Copeland?

Will
11-20-2015, 10:36 AM

He was going to look into it? What does he hope to find?

Rocket
11-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Yes -- I really hope we see it no later than second wk of Jan. Have to make some plans around next year's sked and in particular the home opener.

I wouldn't hold your breath thinking for a second that the cfl would release there schedule in January especially with Jeffery orridge being commisioner. With the little work this guy has done during the season I wouldn't except him to all of a sudden to start organizing and planning things in the off season in a timely way. This guy has a hard time even naming a grey cup host in time as past commisioners in the last few years would announce them well in advance to prepare for such an event.

Anyways I would love to see a Argo-ticat game at bmo field at the end of August when the Cne is still going on. Would be great to advertise and promote the league that way. With having Argo and ticat fans wearing there jerseys,hats etc.. Walking. Around on the grounds before and after the game with thousands and thousands of mostly younger people attending the Cne.

AngeloV
11-20-2015, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath thinking for a second that the cfl would release there schedule in January especially with Jeffery orridge being commisioner. With the little work this guy has done during the season I wouldn't except him to all of a sudden to start organizing and planning things in the off season in a timely way. This guy has a hard time even naming a grey cup host in time as past commisioners in the last few years would announce them well in advance to prepare for such an event.

And I'm sure you have first hand knowledge of all that Orridge has done this year. As for the naming of a host, that goes beyond the commissioner. The Board of Governors has a lot more to do with that than the commissioner. But go ahead. Continue to bash.

argonaut11xx
11-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Anyways I would love to see a Argo-ticat game at bmo field at the end of August when the Cne is still going on. Would be great to advertise and promote the league that way. With having Argo and ticat fans wearing there jerseys,hats etc.. Walking. Around on the grounds before and after the game with thousands and thousands of mostly younger people attending the Cne.

Many moons ago there was 1 or sometimes 2 games during the CNE, when the Argos played at the EX. I always enjoyed those games (and some wrestling events) very much. That said, i'd suggest that during the CNE maybe it would be better to throw in a lesser draw than the Cats to maximize attendance?

Also, while i think Orridge has shown little so far, trashing him at this point is unfair. Next season is when he should have his vision for the league in place, and activated.

Rocket may i ask who do you actually like, or support in the CFL and Argonaut organizations?

T-Bone
11-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Many moons ago there was 1 or sometimes 2 games during the CNE, when the Argos played at the EX. I always enjoyed those games (and some wrestling events) very much. That said, i'd suggest that during the CNE maybe it would be better to throw in a lesser draw than the Cats to maximize attendance?
Considering Labour Day is the last day of the CNE I doubt we'll see a Ti-Cats vs. Argos game during the CNE but I'm sure there will be at least one Argos game while it is on each year.

argonaut11xx
11-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Considering Labour Day is the last day of the CNE I doubt we'll see a Ti-Cats vs. Argos game during the CNE but I'm sure there will be at least one Argos game while it is on each year.

I agree, but in my abstract memory, the CNE may have gone for longer, or always had at least 1 Argo game, and maybe 2. It was pre blue jays/pre wrestlemania

AngeloV
11-20-2015, 03:36 PM
I agree, but in my abstract memory, the CNE may have gone for longer, or always had at least 1 Argo game, and maybe 2. It was pre blue jays/pre wrestlemania

I went to my first game in 1978 and became a regular in 1980. There was always 1 Arogs game during the CNE in my time going (yearly the game I most looked forward to), but this was all post Blue Jays arrival, and they (Jays) played a lot of afternoon games in the summer during the CNE.

Funny thing I remember from back then, they would usually have a concert or some other event scheduled at night during the CNE, and as such, the Blue Jays games had a 5pm curfew before being suspended if not completed yet. Good luck having MLB allow that today, and furthermore, how low we became going from a 2-3 hour conversion window back then to 36 hours in the dome these days.

timlb01
11-20-2015, 05:43 PM

Thumbs up to that!! I would love every Thanksgiving Monday play the TiCats at BMO.

argonaut11xx
11-20-2015, 05:47 PM
I went to my first game in 1978 and became a regular in 1980. There was always 1 Arogs game during the CNE in my time going (yearly the game I most looked forward to), but this was all post Blue Jays arrival, and they (Jays) played a lot of afternoon games in the summer during the CNE.

Funny thing I remember from back then, they would usually have a concert or some other event scheduled at night during the CNE, and as such, the Blue Jays games had a 5pm curfew before being suspended if not completed yet. Good luck having MLB allow that today, and furthermore, how low we became going from a 2-3 hour conversion window back then to 36 hours in the dome these days.

Those HOT SUMMER days and nights at the CNE, getting in for free with an Argo ticket were pretty amazing. If some of the younger folks can relive that magic, the moving to BMO will be worth it.

Gill The Thrill
11-20-2015, 06:38 PM

The CNE was only a couple of days longer for a period of time starting in the 80's when it lasted for 20 days starting on the Wednesday. They thought it would help attendance when it started slipping after Wonderland opened up. It eventually went back to 18 days, starting as it traditional did on the Friday 2 weeks before Labour Day weekend.

The Argos always had one, sometimes two a year. I remember working at the EX as a teen and buying a ticket from a scalper in the 2nd quarter for a $1 to watch part of an Argo game during my 1 hr break. Had to leave before the end obviously but for a buck I saw part of the game vs the Ticats and a very memorable dog show at halftime. (The dogs are always a hit) For a buck it was a great way to spend an hour.

Trivia for some of the Argo fans who watched games at the CNE during the EX. As mentioned, they played the Ticats. I remember being told by a fan that Paul Osbaldistan kicked the game winning FG.....Without dating myself, as I've already have..... What year was it? I actually know, but it scares me...because time flies.:shhhh:

Other big games during the EX...remember listening to CFRB in 1982, when the Argos beat Ottawa 35-25. Chris Isaac, not the singer, but the QB for Ottawa said he'd throw for 400+ yards against the Argos D, but only got 209. Argo fans had started invading the field after Argos wins since the big win vs Edmonton before the CNE opened. They did it again that game.

Gill Fenerty I beleive had his big 200 yd plus rushing game in a 33-17 win vs the Stamps in 1988. I believe that game was during the EX in late August. I believe it's still the Argos single game rushing record.

Argos1983
11-20-2015, 06:48 PM
1987 I believe ---- do I get a prize.....

ArgoRavi
11-20-2015, 07:36 PM

That was also the final time that the Argos drew 30k+ to old Exhibition Stadium. They have shown that game on ESPN Classics a few times and it was a lively crowd on hand for a good game.

R.J
11-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Michael Copeland speaks.
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/new-boss-copeland-embraces-challenge-of-argos-rebuild-1.397166

Neely2005
11-21-2015, 12:26 AM
Michael Copeland speaks.
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/new-boss-copeland-embraces-challenge-of-argos-rebuild-1.397166

And speaks again:

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/argos/2015/11/20/qa-with-michael-copeland-argonauts-will-create-magic.html

KCargosfan
11-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Sounds like this is a good guy to have in charge.

I'm surprised the seating it can hold at 27,600 is that high.

Rocket
11-21-2015, 02:40 AM
And speaks again:

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/argos/2015/11/20/qa-with-michael-copeland-argonauts-will-create-magic.html

So far I like what I hear from copeland sounds like he has a idea to how badly this franchise is in right now and looks to have a direction and a vision to where he wants to take this team going forward. As well it seems he isn't to afraid of doing some actual work when it comes to the Argos which is saying a lot compared to other employees the Argos have had in the past. One small thing I didn t like was his comparison to cfl players as not being the best football players in the world he should try to promote the cfl and Argos as a different league with different set of rules and a different type of athlete to play in the cfl.
Not sure about getting 20,000 season ticket holders I am sure they will be giving away a lot to corporate sponsors and the like but as far as getting your regular sports fan into buying seasons this team has a long way to go before they could hit that Mark. I sure hope they do get to that number but find it hard to believe they will. But best of luck to him I sure me and many other die hard Argo fans will be pulling for him.

Rich
11-21-2015, 03:52 AM
How can any Argo fan not get excited by these comments from Copeland? Sounds like real tailgating is a go. That's at least 5,000 extra fans per game right off the bat IMO. My guess is they've made a deal to use part of the Ontario Place parking lot, that thing's huge.

Scooter McCray
11-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Sounds good. He wants game day to be spectacular. If they pull it off in year one with 27600 at every game and keep it up in following years they will create that demand with scarce supply of seating which will also drive more TV viewers. 1st year attendance should be okay because of GC and BMO novelty and the renewed marketing push. It will be about blowing everyone away in year one and these folks and media telling everyone about the experience. Eventually you will have people coming down exclusively for the tailgating and festival atmosphere. A mini CNE 9 times a year. When was the last time an Argo organization actually tried to sell tickets in a coordinated way? 10 years ago with C&S. A city of 4 million GTA. Done right and sticking to it every year and refining it they should be able to create 27600 fans for 9 games. Get the rival fan bases involved. Can you imagine Hamilton Ottawa Montreal Saskatchewan fan bases wanting to invade and setup their own tailgates. Especially at GC. This why I can't wait for the 10th team. The scedule becomes interlocking with just 1 home game against each team. As much as I hate Hamilton we get them once and that game becomes a very big deal and will deepen the rivalry and intensify when the playoffs arrive. Can't wait. IS IT JUNE YET?

timlb01
11-21-2015, 08:56 AM
Sounds good. He wants game day to be spectacular. If they pull it off in year one with 27600 at every game and keep it up in following years they will create that demand with scarce supply of seating which will also drive more TV viewers. 1st year attendance should be okay because of GC and BMO novelty and the renewed marketing push. It will be about blowing everyone away in year one and these folks and media telling everyone about the experience. Eventually you will have people coming down exclusively for the tailgating and festival atmosphere. A mini CNE 9 times a year. When was the last time an Argo organization actually tried to sell tickets in a coordinated way? 10 years ago with C&S. A city of 4 million GTA. Done right and sticking to it every year and refining it they should be able to create 27600 fans for 9 games. Get the rival fan bases involved. Can you imagine Hamilton Ottawa Montreal Saskatchewan fan bases wanting to invade and setup their own tailgates. Especially at GC. This why I can't wait for the 10th team. The scedule becomes interlocking with just 1 home game against each team. As much as I hate Hamilton we get them once and that game becomes a very big deal and will deepen the rivalry and intensify when the playoffs arrive. Can't wait. IS IT JUNE YET?

I am with you looking forward to June. Need a fast forward button :). I am not interested in the tailgating but if that draws more fans and fills the place up I am good with all of it. I love the Canadian style of game. I like all aspects of the sport better than any other so whatever it takes as long as the game is the same. It sounds like they are going to spend money on promoting the team and getting things done right. I hope they do not handcuff Barker in getting the talent we need to play at home for the Grey Cup. Now wouldn't that be awesome!!! Host the Eastern Final and then play at home for the Cup! Wow, I think my fast forward button got stuck!!!

Gill The Thrill
11-21-2015, 05:48 PM

You are correct, sir. If we could go back in time, the prize I'd give you is the Spuds Mackenzie stuffed dog from the Budweiser commercials that were the most popular during that '87 CNE. As it is now, you just get deserved recognition. I think I've noticed that game on ESPN Classic as Ravi mentioned, but didn't realize that was their last game with 30k at the CNE. The same 2 teams would draw just over 21,000 for an East Semi-Final at CNE that November. That paltry figure was so startling as it had been the smallest attendance for an Argo home game in decades that it became the lead story for the 6pm news on CFTO. I never forgot that, and from then on games at CNE stadium drew small crowds. In the final year at CNE in 1988, 25,000 was the highest regular season total during an August home date with Hamilton. The East Final in '88 did see over 27,000 which was still disappointing for a division final.

Argo-Ticat games at the EX were pretty raucous affairs as the crowd would really get into it. I remember a guy who was just slightly over-served, okay, maybe downright pissed...lol, slurring about the Ticat fans on that old wide walking concourse halfway between the stands along the first baseline near section 4....that section wasn't exactly the family friendly zone..lol

Argos1983
11-21-2015, 06:15 PM
I appreciate such a classic prize.....:)

I actually won one of those giant stuffed German Shepherd looking dogs before going to a game - it was about 3 feet tall --- they actually let me walk in and sit the dog in an empty seat beside me....now a bottle of water is scrutinized and we go through airport security....back then....bring whatever you want.....how times have changed.....

argonaut11xx
11-21-2015, 06:22 PM
I appreciate such a classic prize.....:)

I actually won one of those giant stuffed German Shepherd looking dogs before going to a game - it was about 3 feet tall --- they actually let me walk in and sit the dog in an empty seat beside me....now a bottle of water is scrutinized and we go through airport security....back then....bring whatever you want.....how times have changed.....

At the EX we would bring sleeping bags (usually with a bottle of rye rollled inside). An order these jumbo cokes that actually came with little cups. It was a very different time. But that was before they served beer in the stadium.

The endzone seats when the cats were in town, were like sitting in a UFC octagon

ArgoRavi
11-21-2015, 10:05 PM
You are correct, sir. If we could go back in time, the prize I'd give you is the Spuds Mackenzie stuffed dog from the Budweiser commercials that were the most popular during that '87 CNE. As it is now, you just get deserved recognition. I think I've noticed that game on ESPN Classic as Ravi mentioned, but didn't realize that was their last game with 30k at the CNE. The same 2 teams would draw just over 21,000 for an East Semi-Final at CNE that November. That paltry figure was so startling as it had been the smallest attendance for an Argo home game in decades that it became the lead story for the 6pm news on CFTO. I never forgot that, and from then on games at CNE stadium drew small crowds. In the final year at CNE in 1988, 25,000 was the highest regular season total during an August home date with Hamilton. The East Final in '88 did see over 27,000 which was still disappointing for a division final.

Argo-Ticat games at the EX were pretty raucous affairs as the crowd would really get into it. I remember a guy who was just slightly over-served, okay, maybe downright pissed...lol, slurring about the Ticat fans on that old wide walking concourse halfway between the stands along the first baseline near section 4....that section wasn't exactly the family friendly zone..lol

That '87 East Semi-Final seemed to spur the Star's John Robertson on as well as he was waving the Argo flag for the next couple of weeks and telling Torontonians about how they needed to support this great tradition again.

R.J
11-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Sounds like this is a good guy to have in charge.

I'm surprised the seating it can hold at 27,600 is that high.

I agree, Copeland so far is saying the right things and there's very little doubt that both Copeland and Ms. Moore have the credentials for the job.

As for the stadium, I believe anything over 25,000 (not including standing room or premium seats) at this point in time is a bit high and I have my doubts that the Argonauts can sell that amount on a regular basis, but if Copeland has a plan and executes, all the power to him, the executive team and ownership. I doubt very many, if any would complain about a full house of loud and proud Argonaut fans cheering on the double blue.

AngeloV
11-22-2015, 12:29 AM
I agree, Copeland so far is saying the right things and there's very little doubt that both Copeland and Ms. Moore have the credentials for the job.

As for the stadium, I believe anything over 25,000 (not including standing room or premium seats) at this point in time is a bit high and I have my doubts that the Argonauts can sell that amount on a regular basis, but if Copeland has a plan and executes, all the power to him, the executive team and ownership. I doubt very many, if any would complain about a full house of loud and proud Argonaut fans cheering on the double blue.

I agree, especially on the seating capacity. Even if they could occasionally sell the full 27,500, I think 25,000 and making it a harder ticket would have been a better way to go. But at this point, that really is just silly complaining. I can't wait for the summer.

Neely2005
11-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I agree, especially on the seating capacity. Even if they could occasionally sell the full 27,500, I think 25,000 and making it a harder ticket would have been a better way to go. But at this point, that really is just silly complaining. I can't wait for the summer.

The flip side is that at least there will be more seating available for big games and the playoffs. Also more available seats should help to keep the prices down.

timlb01
11-22-2015, 10:14 AM
At the EX we would bring sleeping bags (usually with a bottle of rye rollled inside). An order these jumbo cokes that actually came with little cups. It was a very different time. But that was before they served beer in the stadium.

The endzone seats when the cats were in town, were like sitting in a UFC octagon

Those were Family Size Cokes! I remember them being sold and being mixed all over the stands. I didn't notice too many families using them back in those days and I was just a kid then. One of those family sized mixed Cokes was spilled on me at the 1983 Eastern Final.

argonaut11xx
11-22-2015, 10:55 AM
That '87 East Semi-Final seemed to spur the Star's John Robertson on as well as he was waving the Argo flag for the next couple of weeks and telling Torontonians about how they needed to support this great tradition again.

WOW...if i recall correctly Roberston arranged a rally at the Eaton center. Its was a fun atmosphere. Tank Landry was the highlight.

(im pretty sure i have this timeline correct,but my memory is a sive there days)

ArgoRavi
11-22-2015, 11:56 AM
WOW...if i recall correctly Roberston arranged a rally at the Eaton center. Its was a fun atmosphere. Tank Landry was the highlight.

(im pretty sure i have this timeline correct,but my memory is a sive there days)

You are probably remembering correctly as 1987 was the year that Tank Landry emerged as a star.

AngeloV
11-22-2015, 12:03 PM
The flip side is that at least there will be more seating available for big games and the playoffs. Also more available seats should help to keep the prices down.

Yeah, but as we know, if it isn't too difficult to get tickets, a lot of people will be in no hurry to buy, and wait until the last minute before ultimately (as often is the case) not going down to buy the tickets. It it is a hot ticket (and at 25k it would be much hotter) then people that think they might want to go, need to buy a lot earlier taking away the previous scenario I mentioned.

25K is PERFECT. Those that want to be there will be there. Those that sit on the fence, may be out of luck.

Ballstothewall
11-22-2015, 06:42 PM

I think the 27,600 includes all the boxes as well. I believe 25,000 will be the seating

Neely2005
11-22-2015, 07:51 PM
I think the 27,600 includes all the boxes as well. I believe 25,000 will be the seating

Yeah it's not really clear.

"What’s going to be capacity?

(It’s) 27,600 for seating with the potential for some standing room on top of that. That’s a great size for us."

Will
11-23-2015, 09:19 AM

I have a transcribed copy on my Facebook page of the column he wrote after that game lamenting the attendance it received.

Rich
11-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Yeah, but as we know, if it isn't too difficult to get tickets, a lot of people will be in no hurry to buy, and wait until the last minute before ultimately (as often is the case) not going down to buy the tickets. It it is a hot ticket (and at 25k it would be much hotter) then people that think they might want to go, need to buy a lot earlier taking away the previous scenario I mentioned.

25K is PERFECT. Those that want to be there will be there. Those that sit on the fence, may be out of luck.

What a ridiculous comment. You do understand that the Argonauts will be backed by a professional sports marketing organization for the first time in their history, don't you? Demand for Argos tickets will be promoted like never before. If they are successful, seasons tickets sales will go way up. Old attendance scenarios at Skydome will no longer be relevant. If the Argos become a hot ticket, then there is no difference between 25k and 27.5k. A hot ticket is a hot ticket.

AngeloV
11-23-2015, 01:59 PM
What a ridiculous comment. You do understand that the Argonauts will be backed by a professional sports marketing organization for the first time in their history, don't you? Demand for Argos tickets will be promoted like never before. If they are successful, seasons tickets sales will go way up. Old attendance scenarios at Skydome will no longer be relevant. If the Argos become a hot ticket, then there is no difference between 25k and 27.5k. A hot ticket is a hot ticket.

If you say so, then it must be true. How silly of me.

argotom
11-23-2015, 03:38 PM

The sky is not falling as I agree with Angelo for a change.
It's supply and demand, create a smaller and cozy venue, unlike we have had before, then all of a sudden it's the chic place to be here in the city of wannabees.
On top of which you can charge more for the tickets especially for the better seats.

R.J
11-23-2015, 04:05 PM
I agree with Angelo and tom, create and build demand first by limiting the supply, then once the demand is there you can add more seats. The Argonauts don't just become a "hot ticket" because they're playing in BMO which will have only 4,000 less seats than the current set up at the dome and IMO Bell and Kilmer spending a random amount of money on marketing most likely won't bring fans in droves. There are a lot of issues that the Argonauts currently face, doing 1 or 2 things differently isn't the cure all.

I doubt it, but until it's confirmed who knows.

Ron
11-23-2015, 04:18 PM

Self awareness has always been you're greatest strength. ;)

Rich
11-23-2015, 04:30 PM
It's supply and demand, create a smaller and cozy venue, unlike we have had before, then all of a sudden it's the chic place to be here in the city of wannabees.
On top of which you can charge more for the tickets especially for the better seats.

25,000 seats is no cozier than 27,500 seats.

IMO Bell and Kilmer spending a random amount of money on marketing most likely won't bring fans in droves.

If you're right about this then 25,000 is also too big.

R.J
11-23-2015, 04:37 PM
If you're right about this then 25,000 is also too big.
You're clearly not following, so I see no point in discussing this any further.

paulwoods13
11-23-2015, 04:43 PM
I agree with Angelo and tom, create and build demand first by limiting the supply, then once the demand is there you can add more seats.

I presume there will be only the current opportunity to make the physical changes to the building, so whatever number of seats we get is likely it for the foreseeable future. If it has to be 27,600 under the current config, so be it. I'd prefer 25k, but another 2.6k is not a big deal. The facility manager also wants to maximize revenue ops for the soccer team, and we are getting what I expect will be a great facility. A few too many seats (and I do mean a few, not like the 20k too many at Rogers) is a small price to pay for that.

timlb01
11-23-2015, 07:07 PM

I think the key is they are professional sports marketers. This is important and stadium where seats may not always have plenty of good seats still available will help. Toronto FC would die in the dome they would never come close to creating the hype. They will share synergies as well and have connections. This appears to be a sustainable good thing which did not occur in the 1991/92 era.

AngeloV
11-23-2015, 07:47 PM

I just went to my car to get my other glasses to make sure I read that right. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket now.

R.J
11-24-2015, 02:06 AM
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/we-want-every-team-in-the-league-to-hate-our-guts-toronto-argonauts-new-boss-lays-out-vision-for-team

1argoholic
11-24-2015, 09:12 AM
I'll believe in professional marketing when I see professional marketing. This team has never been marketed well. They didn't have to at CNE and maybe for for or two years the marketing was ok while at Skydome. They had posters with big faces and catchy comments. Other then that through multiple owners Argos marketing has sucked. To me this is still a big step backwards and should never have come to this. The Argos and multiple owners are to blame but so is the media. Funny how CNE and weather were issues back then and everyone was pumped about Skydome and now going to a small stadium by the lake years later is going to save the team. Very strange how things work. I always loved the comfort of the dome.

Hopefully they do fill the place and finally get some new fans interested. Hope it's not a one or two year thing. TO is so screwed that I have no idea how this will turn out but I do hope for big BMO crowds. For diehards fans to be excited is one thing but I'll hold out to see if new or old fans come back.

Will
11-24-2015, 10:10 AM
The team must have been doing something right in the 1970's to get 47,000 in the stadium when the team was winning 6 games at best.

1argoholic
11-24-2015, 10:55 AM
They didn't have to as they pretty much owned TO in those days. Argos in the summer and Leafs in the winter.

paulwoods13
11-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Chris Rudge's farewell message. Let's all collectively ignore the predictable response/rant of a certain poster:

To our loyal fans and ticket holders;

I am writing to say thank you and good bye. As most of you may know, I will be leaving the Argos on December 31st after five and a half years. They have been at once stimulating, heartbreaking, turbulent and rewarding. Through that time the one constant has been the unwavering care, passion and commitment you have brought to this team. It hasn’t been easy at times with some of the challenges we’ve faced but one thing I could always count on and look forward to every Monday morning was lots of help in making decisions on how to improve the team, our marketing, ticket sales and everything else you cared about! You have been terrific and I look forward to joining you in the seats next season.

The future is indeed bright. After many years of “wandering” in the wilderness, this gloried franchise embarks on a new era with a bright and vibrant future ahead. New owners with a breadth of resources and critical mass to lever their influence across a broad platform will transform the franchise’s ability to reach out into the community and build greater awareness. Michael Copeland, who succeeds me as President, is a bright young man full of energy and fresh ideas and knowledge of our game as former President/COO of the CFL. I know he’s looking forward to working with all of you. The team will play in a new, right-sized stadium that takes it back to its roots at the CNE. And, at long last, a balanced schedule!

I hope you have not only got your 2016 season ticket deposits in for next year but doubled down. It promises to be the hot new ticket in town. I know friends who have already gone from two to eight season tickets. And of course, the 104th Grey Cup Festival in 2016 holds promises of Toronto once again sharing with all Canadians the warm hospitality they experienced at the 100th Grey Cup in 2012. The phone lines are open at 416-341-2746 or go to argosatbmofield.ca for more information and put down your deposit. Don’t wait, get on board today.

Year’s end will see my third attempt at retirement since 2002 and already it doesn’t appear to be sustainable. I have many projects on the go. A heartfelt thanks for the gift of sharing this latest journey with you.

Good bye and God bless.

Chris Rudge

Neely2005
11-24-2015, 12:32 PM
I'll believe in professional marketing when I see professional marketing. This team has never been marketed well. They didn't have to at CNE and maybe for for or two years the marketing was ok while at Skydome. They had posters with big faces and catchy comments. Other then that through multiple owners Argos marketing has sucked. To me this is still a big step backwards and should never have come to this. The Argos and multiple owners are to blame but so is the media. Funny how CNE and weather were issues back then and everyone was pumped about Skydome and now going to a small stadium by the lake years later is going to save the team. Very strange how things work. I always loved the comfort of the dome.

Hopefully they do fill the place and finally get some new fans interested. Hope it's not a one or two year thing. TO is so screwed that I have no idea how this will turn out but I do hope for big BMO crowds. For diehards fans to be excited is one thing but I'll hold out to see if new or old fans come back.

The new stadium will have a roof over the stands and faces a different direction than the old stadium. We'll also have more games in the summer than at the Rogers Centre.

timlb01
11-24-2015, 05:07 PM

It is ironic how we have come full circle. Remember the people at the 83 Grey Cup with signs saying we want a dome and I believe if my memory is correct there was even an interview about a push for a Toronto Dome during the game. I too loved the comfort of the Dome and I will be willing to pay for a heated seat to be installed for my season tickets at BMO. Don't like the cold or the rain although the the stadium will have overhangs over the stands which is better than much of Exhibition Stadium. Either way this was the way to go although I wish they could have worked something out with U of T to do something at Varsity Stadium but that is long gone now. Maybe in another 25 years we will put a retractable roof on BMO :)

R.J
11-25-2015, 05:49 PM
So for anyone interested I sent an email to Sara Moore, Argonauts VP of Business Operations and COO for the Grey Cup and received a reply.
From me:
Dear Ms. Moore,
I would first like to congratulate you on your appointments as SR. VP of Business Operations for the Toronto Argonauts and COO of the 2016 Grey Cup present by SHAW. I also wish you the best of luck, as I'm sure you know this market has been a tough nut to crack the last 20 years or so. The reason for my email is, I was wondering if yourself or even Mr. Copeland lurk or have checked out Argofans.com, as that's a great place where some of us Argo fans come together and as of late a thread was made about coming up with ideas we'd like to see occur with the move to BMO and how the CFL could finally work in Toronto. I made two posts here (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?3360-ideas-for-in-coming-president-Michael-Copeland&p=73242&viewfull=1#post73242) and here (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?3360-ideas-for-in-coming-president-Michael-Copeland&p=73250&viewfull=1#post73250), of some ideas I think could help, though I honestly have no clue how much any of them would cost, I thought at the very least I would try to let the people in charge know some of the thoughts being discussed out there.

I was also wondering if a logo change or rebranding has been discussed ?
A lot of fans seem to want the boat logo back, and while I would agree that the old boat logo would probably be more of an eye catching recognizable logo, I believe a modernization is needed and found these, which in my opinion is a brilliantly drawn logo design (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?3634-Should-the-Argos-Rebrand&p=74116&viewfull=1#post74116).

I have been a fan of the Argonauts and CFL since 1994 and a season ticket holder since 2008 and already have my deposits in for next season. I can't tell you how excited myself and a lot of other Argo fans are about the future of this team and I'd also like to thank you in advance for reading this, if you end up doing so. It's already greatly appreciated the work and hope yourself, Mr. Copeland, along with Bell and Tanenbaum have given us fans.

Reply from Ms. Moore :

Thanks for the note **** — I went and checked out the forum site today — and I think you and a lot of fans like you will be very happy with the plans that Mike and I have for next year and over the years to come. I am very pleased to hear that you are committed to being a season ticket holder again for next year. I promise you — you will not be disappointed!

Best,
Sara

paulwoods13
11-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Great work by both of you.

timlb01
11-25-2015, 08:23 PM
So for anyone interested I sent an email to Sara Moore, Argonauts VP of Business Operations and COO for the Grey Cup and received a reply.
From me:

Reply from Ms. Moore :

Nice. Glad to see a response! I do believe they will do a great job. There is no hint of anything less than spectacular.

Argo57
11-25-2015, 08:42 PM
I like the fact that the new regime seems to be in tune with their loyal fans (what a change), great job SnowRogue!!!!

Scooter McCray
11-25-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks Snow Rogue. Great to see the response and the tone of the response. My hope is building.

AngeloV
11-25-2015, 10:03 PM
You are the man SnowRogue!! Well thought out email, and great to see the response you got. I can't wait to see the plans they have.

Argo57
11-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Chris Rudge's farewell message. Let's all collectively ignore the predictable response/rant of a certain poster:

To our loyal fans and ticket holders;

I am writing to say thank you and good bye. As most of you may know, I will be leaving the Argos on December 31st after five and a half years. They have been at once stimulating, heartbreaking, turbulent and rewarding. Through that time the one constant has been the unwavering care, passion and commitment you have brought to this team. It hasn’t been easy at times with some of the challenges we’ve faced but one thing I could always count on and look forward to every Monday morning was lots of help in making decisions on how to improve the team, our marketing, ticket sales and everything else you cared about! You have been terrific and I look forward to joining you in the seats next season.

The future is indeed bright. After many years of “wandering” in the wilderness, this gloried franchise embarks on a new era with a bright and vibrant future ahead. New owners with a breadth of resources and critical mass to lever their influence across a broad platform will transform the franchise’s ability to reach out into the community and build greater awareness. Michael Copeland, who succeeds me as President, is a bright young man full of energy and fresh ideas and knowledge of our game as former President/COO of the CFL. I know he’s looking forward to working with all of you. The team will play in a new, right-sized stadium that takes it back to its roots at the CNE. And, at long last, a balanced schedule!

I hope you have not only got your 2016 season ticket deposits in for next year but doubled down. It promises to be the hot new ticket in town. I know friends who have already gone from two to eight season tickets. And of course, the 104th Grey Cup Festival in 2016 holds promises of Toronto once again sharing with all Canadians the warm hospitality they experienced at the 100th Grey Cup in 2012. The phone lines are open at 416-341-2746 or go to argosatbmofield.ca for more information and put down your deposit. Don’t wait, get on board today.

Year’s end will see my third attempt at retirement since 2002 and already it doesn’t appear to be sustainable. I have many projects on the go. A heartfelt thanks for the gift of sharing this latest journey with you.

Good bye and God bless.

Chris Rudge

Our friend Rocket must be twitching at his keyboard!!!

Neely2005
11-26-2015, 10:56 AM
"Our first priority is to have you pick your seats at our fantastic new home, BMO Field." - Michael Copeland

To Argonauts fans and ticket holders,

My name is Michael Copeland, and I am the incoming President & C.E.O. of your Toronto Argonauts.* This is my first official correspondence to you, our season ticket holders and most loyal fans, and I’m thrilled to have this privilege.* You, and our Argonauts team, persevered through a year like no other in 2015.* Many lay claim to being the best fans in sports, but none have been asked to prove it like you have.* On behalf of the new Argonauts organization, we enthusiastically thank you.* We are now ready to enter a new era of Argonauts football in Toronto. 2016 will be a landmark year for our franchise, one in which we will put our team, and our fans, back at the centre of the city's sports landscape.

Our first priority is to have you pick your seats at our fantastic new home, BMO Field.* In the off-season, BMO Field will be renovated to accommodate football, and add a canopy roof above the seats. The construction design phase for these improvements is nearly complete, and we anticipate that the final seating chart will be available very early in the new year.* Once this is ready, we will invite you to explore the new seating options and pick your seats.* Priority will be given to season ticket holders who have held their accounts the longest.* And I assure you, your tickets will be fairly and reasonably priced.* We are still accepting $50 deposits for 2016 season tickets, which also give you the right to purchase tickets to the 104th Grey Cup in Toronto next year.* If you have already made your commitment to us for 2016, thank you.* You have already taken the first step toward something very special.* If you haven’t, I encourage you to visit ArgosatBMOField.ca to make your deposit today and get back on board with us.* We really want you to be a part of it. You, more than anyone else, deserve to share in the amazing things that are just around the corner.

In 2016, we will reinvent game day.* Our game experience, from beginning to end, will be exciting and new.** Our team is set up for a great year on the field, one that we’re laser focused on ending with us hoisting the Grey Cup again on our home field.* We will reinforce our leadership position in the community.* We have a strong, stable and committed new ownership group.* Our fans, young and old, will be proud to wear the “A”.

Thanks for being a fan.* An Argos fan.* Our entire team is committed to making 2016 truly remarkable.* And that will be just the beginning.

I hope to see you at BMO Field in June.

Best Regards,
Michael Copeland
President & CEO
Toronto Argonauts Football Club

http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=419a4a2db0b6526a856c41a88&id=f7ba3a42f4&e=e0a4147c95

Mightygoose
11-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Just got the email too.

Glad he is reconfirming that STHs with the longer standing accounts get priority in the pick a seat.

It's refreshing to see this franchise with a face once again.

paulwoods13
11-26-2015, 11:59 AM
Priority will be given to season ticket holders who have held their accounts the longest.

Another big check mark for the incoming leadership. Well done.

Neely2005
11-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Another big check mark for the incoming leadership. Well done.

Agreed, hopefully it has to be consecutive seasons though. It would suck if people who dropped their season tickets in the past few years got seniority because they used to have season tickets.

AngeloV
11-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Agreed, hopefully it has to be consecutive seasons though. It would suck if people who dropped their season tickets in the past few years got seniority because they used to have season tickets.

I would have no problem with that if they were long time holders that dropped them the last year or two due to neglect from the past ownership group. If someone was a 20 year ST holder, by all means, give them priority.

Neely2005
11-26-2015, 01:49 PM
I would have no problem with that if they were long time holders that dropped them the last year or two due to neglect from the past ownership group. If someone was a 20 year ST holder, by all means, give them priority.

Sure, after all the season ticket holders that didn't quit.

paulwoods13
11-26-2015, 02:16 PM
There is no way they can be transparent about this, IMO, because of privacy considerations. I would like to receive a note that says something like: "Our records indicate you have subscribed to season's tickets every year since 2001 (or whatever). That places you at No. 355 on the seat-selection priority list. You will be able to make your selections between Jan. 15 and Jan. 26 (or whatever)." Do it in tranches, with the most senior groups getting first dibs and then subsequent ones each week thereafter. You should have to choose during your time window or lose priority.

AngeloV
11-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Sure, after all the season ticket holders that didn't quit.

So by your theory, a 1 or 2 year ST holder (in '14 and '15) should get priority over someone that was there from say '90-'13. Sorry, I don't agree.

PullTogether73
11-26-2015, 03:38 PM
So by your theory, a 1 or 2 year ST holder (in '14 and '15) should get priority over someone that was there from say '90-'13. Sorry, I don't agree.

I understand your disagreement, but if someone stopped being a STH two years ago, would the Argonauts still have an account for them (with an account history) to check their previous relationship?

Neely2005
11-26-2015, 04:11 PM

That's correct. If you quit you're no longer a current season ticket holder and you can go to the back of the line behind current season ticket holders but ahead of brand new season ticket holders.

Anyone who stuck with the Argonauts through the past few seasons (especially 2015) should be rewarded.

AngeloV
11-26-2015, 04:12 PM
I understand your disagreement, but if someone stopped being a STH two years ago, would the Argonauts still have an account for them (with an account history) to check their previous relationship?

If they don't that is bad business. They should have a database with every season ticket holder within a certain time frame. That info is not hard to keep. I hate to give Rogers credit for anything, but I dropped their business 2 1/2 years ago, and they continually contact me to come back. I would hope the Argos do the same with their ST holders that have left.

Neely2005
11-26-2015, 04:14 PM

I'm sure that they do. They probably reach out to past season ticket holders each year to try to sell them tickets, season tickets, flex packages etc.

AngeloV
11-26-2015, 04:14 PM
That's correct. If you quit you're no longer a current season ticket holder and you can go to the back of the line behind current season ticket holders but ahead of brand new season ticket holders.

Anyone who stuck with the Argonauts through the past few seasons (especially 2015) should be rewarded.

Do I dare ask how long you've been a ST holder? Seems to me you may be taking this stand for selfish reasons.

ArgoGabe22
11-26-2015, 04:30 PM
I wonder what they'll do with the new STHs. I have never been a STH but have a family account that has bought flex and singles over the years. I'm not complaining but just wonder if someone like myself will be considered higher than someone who is completely new. I'm just happy to get to seat in a new stadium.

R.J
11-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Yes they do, I was a season ticket holder from 2008 until 2012, moved so for 2013-2014 I didn't get seasons, then when I called for 2015 season tickets, I spoke to my rep and I was still in the system and have the same account number.

Argo57
11-26-2015, 07:18 PM
I wonder what they'll do with the new STHs. I have never been a STH but have a family account that has bought flex and singles over the years. I'm not complaining but just wonder if someone like myself will be considered higher than someone who is completely new. I'm just happy to get to seat in a new stadium.

To me it would make sense to put you ahead of someone who hasn't had an account.

Argo57
11-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Do I dare ask how long you've been a ST holder? Seems to me you may be taking this stand for selfish reasons.

Some will have their own agenda Angelo, personally I wouldn't sweat it if the reported 7,000 people to date have committed, we will still get good seats.
I would also assume the date you committed with you're down payment will factor in as well.

R.J
11-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Not sure why anyone would be concerned, there's 27,600 seats to choose from, there were supposedly 3-5,000 season ticket holders from this past season, I think everyone will be alright in their seat selections. 2014 and under season ticket holders get first dibs, based on seniority, then I would assume anyone who signed up via argosatbmofield would pick next, then probably corporate's, and lastly anyone late to the party.

AngeloV
11-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Some will have their own agenda Angelo, personally I wouldn't sweat it if the reported 7,000 people to date have committed, we will still get good seats.
I would also assume the date you committed with you're down payment will factor in as well.

I'm not sweating it. I feel exactly the same way as you. But people like you and SnowRogue who have had season's in the past IMO should not be put behind a 1 or 2 year current ST holder. There is no doubt in my mind that everyone that has put a deposit down already will be very happy with their seats.

argofan81
11-26-2015, 10:35 PM
I'm not sweating it. I feel exactly the same way as you. But people like you and SnowRogue who have had season's in the past IMO should not be put behind a 1 or 2 year current ST holder. There is no doubt in my mind that everyone that has put a deposit down already will be very happy with their seats.

This past season was my first year as a season ticket holder. Not because I didn't want to support the team in past seasons but because I simply couldn't afford season tickets until this past season. I have always attended as many games as I could afford in past seasons. I have also always promoted the Argos in any way that I could (wearing the merchandise, displaying flags, etc., etc.) in those seasons when I couldn't afford the tickets. While I agree that there should be some sort of seniority when choosing our seats, I'm more in favour of a grouping of seniority. For example, those with 10 years plus get first dibs, then 5-9 then 1-4....just because I have only had my seasons for one season does not mean that I have only supported the team for one season and there should be some way to acknowledge that!!

R.J
11-27-2015, 11:27 AM
This past season was my first year as a season ticket holder. Not because I didn't want to support the team in past seasons but because I simply couldn't afford season tickets until this past season. I have always attended as many games as I could afford in past seasons. I have also always promoted the Argos in any way that I could (wearing the merchandise, displaying flags, etc., etc.) in those seasons when I couldn't afford the tickets. While I agree that there should be some sort of seniority when choosing our seats, I'm more in favour of a grouping of seniority. For example, those with 10 years plus get first dibs, then 5-9 then 1-4....just because I have only had my seasons for one season does not mean that I have only supported the team for one season and there should be some way to acknowledge that!!
This is where it's a slippery slop IMO, single game ticket holders don't have accounts, so how would they know how many years you've been going to games ?
I agree with grouping seniority, but grouping 10 years plus is unfair to those who've held season ticket for over 30 years. why should someone who has only 11-12 years be given the same opportunity at seat selection over someone with 35-40 years.

Again, I honestly don't understand why some seem concerned about seat selection, there's very few current season ticket holders, so a good seat selection is all but guaranteed IMO. My only hope is that people don't feel super entitled to things and cause a commotion when there doesn't need to be.

1argoholic
11-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Ok so after a quick stop in at National in Peterborough this morning I got Totally PISSED at the lack of Argonaut and CFL merch out there, yet again. It just turns my gut to see every friggin NFL, MLB and NHL team and their shit and yet ZERO CFL. I know everyone on here knows this but it's Grey Cup weekend and a chain like National Sports has squat. I'm so done with it all. Mr. President GET SOME ARGONAUT MERCH IN ANY STORE YOU CAN. Last time I looked I still live in Canada. I'll put the F in NFL alright.

Double Dare
11-27-2015, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=SnowRogue;73840]Michael Copeland speaks.
[QUOTE] http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/we-want-every-team-in-the-league-to-hate-our-guts-toronto-argonauts-new-boss-lays-out-vision-for-team

Neely2005
11-27-2015, 03:59 PM

I'd have to double check my ticket stubs but I've had an account with the Argonauts since either 1995 or 1996. A mix of flex packs and season tickets.

TheHammer
11-27-2015, 06:28 PM
For Argo season ticket holders in 2016. At least 100 bucks off Grey Cup tickets and 100 bucks off an Argos jersey. We need more fans wearing team merchandise.
Rent out the Molson Amphitheatre at least for the opening game. Get a great band.
Have a Canadian qb contest just before training camp. The best Canadian gets a practice roster spot for the entire year.
Have a gate named after Argo great Pinball Clemons.

Your thoughts,

Thoughts from a Ticat fan, although I understand my opinion is invalid,

discount - great idea
Band-great idea
Ambassador-if you can get one, great
Canadian QB contest- bad idea
Pinball gate-not sure it'll draw people but a nice gesture for a class dude

TheHammer
11-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Especially in Ontario, CFL is only big in CFL cities. It's not a matter of 'hey commish, get these in to stores'.. There has to be demand

AngeloV
11-27-2015, 11:10 PM

discount - great idea
Band-great idea

Actually, you are pretty bang on here.

Argo57
11-28-2015, 08:17 AM

discount - great idea
Band-great idea

All opinions are valid Hammer, agree with what you have said.

argofan81
11-28-2015, 10:18 AM
This is where it's a slippery slop IMO, single game ticket holders don't have accounts, so how would they know how many years you've been going to games ?
I agree with grouping seniority, but grouping 10 years plus is unfair to those who've held season ticket for over 30 years. why should someone who has only 11-12 years be given the same opportunity at seat selection over someone with 35-40 years.

Again, I honestly don't understand why some seem concerned about seat selection, there's very few current season ticket holders, so a good seat selection is all but guaranteed IMO. My only hope is that people don't feel super entitled to things and cause a commotion when there doesn't need to be.

Actually I have had an account for about 5 years despite not having seasons or flex packs -- can't remember how that came to be?!? But that aside, my examples of groupings could be expanded (more added) to incorporate longer ticket holders. All I was trying to get across is that while I do agree that someone who has held tickets for 30 years, etc. should have priority over me, I don't necessarily agree that someone with 5 years is any more of an Argo supporter / loyal fan than I am. It was simply an issue of affordability and living within my means.

If a grouping system were put into place, a lottery could then be done within each group. Then it would come down to luck of the draw which seems a bit better of a way (in my opinion) to recognize the fact that you can be a loyal fan without having season tickets.

R.J
11-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Actually I have had an account for about 5 years despite not having seasons or flex packs -- can't remember how that came to be?!? But that aside, my examples of groupings could be expanded (more added) to incorporate longer ticket holders. All I was trying to get across is that while I do agree that someone who has held tickets for 30 years, etc. should have priority over me, I don't necessarily agree that someone with 5 years is any more of an Argo supporter / loyal fan than I am. It was simply an issue of affordability and living within my means.
I disagree, and again it's a slippery slop. Someone who's been a season ticket holder for 5 years should have priority over someone who's only been a season ticket holder for 1-2 years (FYI I'm technically in the 1-2 year boat). What if they've been buying single tickets and flex packs for 10+ years and buy a bunch of merch each year, same scenario no ?

The only way to do it fairly is to base it on season ticket seniority. Too complicated and unfair to a lot of season ticket holders if done otherwise.

ArgoZ
11-28-2015, 02:22 PM
The 3000 or so ST holders that decide to renew, should get dibs where they wanna sit. I am fine being 3001, as there will be 22000+ more seats to choose from.

1argoholic
11-28-2015, 02:33 PM
BMO will be the Argonauts smallest home since it's days back at Varsity so I'm sure every seat will be a good one.

Ballstothewall
11-28-2015, 02:44 PM
I placed deposits for 2 more ST this week. Rep said they have not even started their real marketing push yet, but they are over 9000 and selling some every day. very steady sales

R.J
11-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Copeland on TSN Drive
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/copeland-looking-to-get-argos-into-toronto-mainstream-1.400385

KCargosfan
11-29-2015, 03:44 PM
I placed deposits for 2 more ST this week. Rep said they have not even started their real marketing push yet, but they are over 9000 and selling some every day. very steady sales

They are already over 9K season ticket sales on Nov. 28? Holy crap. That is fantastic news. I would say they'll be heading into next year with 15K.

R.J
11-29-2015, 05:03 PM
From my understanding they've sold around 10k and that number doesn't include corporate ticket sales as of yet. I've been thinking about getting another 2 tickets, but just unsure how many games I'd be able to fill those seats.

paulwoods13
11-29-2015, 08:28 PM
If these numbers are true -- and there is no way to independently verify anything -- they have sold 9,000 (or whatever) $50 deposits, not 9,000 season tickets.

Argo57
11-29-2015, 08:46 PM
If these numbers are true -- and there is no way to independently verify anything -- they have sold 9,000 (or whatever) $50 deposits, not 9,000 season tickets.

Exactly Paul, they are building some decent momentum however they haven't released the pricing structure yet which could cause some to decline, Argonauts better be careful and not get too greedy (what are the chances of that?).

Neely2005
11-29-2015, 09:58 PM

Non refundable deposits apparently.

paulwoods13
11-29-2015, 10:04 PM

So they now have $450,000 of revenue. Enough to buy a starting QB with some left over for a receiver.

Argo57
12-01-2015, 11:10 PM

Yes that is true, pretty good money grab.

JBarnsley
12-01-2015, 11:17 PM
Yes that is true, pretty good money grab. Money grab sure, but at this point every dollar the Argos have coming in is gold.

Argo57
12-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Money grab sure, but at this point every dollar the Argos have coming in is gold.

It's actually brilliant!!

JBarnsley
12-01-2015, 11:32 PM
It's actually brilliant!! Of course it is, It wasn't planned by David Braley... I am not worried about the Argos anymore which is a relief to myself, I cannot imagine how you Argo fans feel to finally have stability. On a side note, I really hope the Lions get sold to the Canucks for similar reasons. David Braley has been a mixed blessing to the CFL.

Argo57
12-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Of course it is, It wasn't planned by David Braley... I am not worried about the Argos anymore which is a relief to myself, I cannot imagine how you Argo fans feel to finally have stability. On a side note, I really hope the Lions get sold to the Canucks for similar reasons. David Braley has been a mixed blessing to the CFL.

His best before date has come and gone.

JBarnsley
12-01-2015, 11:45 PM
His best before date has come and gone. I feel bad because reading this kind of stuff would probably gut the man, but I don't want the lions to be the Argos 2.0 . The guy is 74 though, if you mentioned a forum to him he would likely think you are taking him to a Habs game.

Rocket
12-02-2015, 05:31 PM
His best before date has come and gone.

I didn't even know Braley had a best before date. As far as I am concerned he has been a failure at everything cfl football related. Disaster of a job in Hamilton, a joke and absentee owner in Toronto and like what we saw this year in b.c. Just plain embarrassing. Like I predicted before this year I said he is going to drive that franchise in b.c to the ground if you think this year is bad just wait for next year to see how bad things really get especially now with this idiot commissioner we have now.

Anyways back to the topic at hand I think copeland should make sure all employees of the Argos who work in the office fill out a sheet stating what hours they worked and what they accomplished with each day they worked as well with that sheet they should give an example each week to what they did to bring back respect and pride to the Argos organization. There should be no fooling or slacking off that goes with working for the Argos something the previous administration didn't take to hard at doing.

R.J
12-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Anyways back to the topic at hand I think copeland should make sure all employees of the Argos who work in the office fill out a sheet stating what hours they worked and what they accomplished with each day they worked as well with that sheet they should give an example each week to what they did to bring back respect and pride to the Argos organization. There should be no fooling or slacking off that goes with working for the Argos something the previous administration didn't take to hard at doing.

Wow.

AngeloV
12-02-2015, 07:06 PM
I didn't even know Braley had a best before date. As far as I am concerned he has been a failure at everything cfl football related. Disaster of a job in Hamilton, a joke and absentee owner in Toronto and like what we saw this year in b.c. Just plain embarrassing. Like I predicted before this year I said he is going to drive that franchise in b.c to the ground if you think this year is bad just wait for next year to see how bad things really get especially now with this idiot commissioner we have now.

The best thing about this post is that you actually called someone else an idiot. Irony.

PullTogether73
12-02-2015, 08:46 PM

Do you have to record your daily work accomplishments at your place of employment?
Serious question.

Rocket
12-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Do you have to record your daily work accomplishments at your place of employment?
Serious question.

Yes when i was younger I had a job which required me to do that. It's a good tool to have to know where people are in your work place to make sure everyone is on the same page. I have worked in management and been a supervisor before so I do have a background in sorting out and making sure everyone is doing there task in hand. I do feel with having an absentee owner the last few years that some people within the organization took advantage of that.

1argoholic
12-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Message to the new Argonaut President. Do better then the new Blue Jays President. Make this the great proud franchise that it once was while the Jays shit the bed and Rogers suffers. Not bitter at Rogers at all.

timlb01
12-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Bring back the pride and the glory. I was just watching youtube videos of the 1983 Argos and in particular the victory parade up Bay Street to Nathan Philips Square. Unbelievable crowd. What a celebration! I forgot how huge that was. I just makes me pumped for the upcoming season.

Argo57
12-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Message to the new Argonaut President. Do better then the new Blue Jays President. Make this the great proud franchise that it once was while the Jays shit the bed and Rogers suffers. Not bitter at Rogers at all.

I enjoyed the Blue Jays run this past season (after 20 years of indifference) however from what I have seen (and expected) since the GM told them to piss off is they are heading back to mediocrity at a rapid pace.
What does this have to do with the Argos??
I can see a day in the not so distant future where one franchises fortunes are on the upswing (Argos) and the other (Blue Jays) are playing to under 20k a night.
Some people forget those Blue Jay crowd numbers were the norm up until this summer and will quickly revert to this if their performance slips in 2016, I personally don't care either way, I will be at BMO enjoying my team play in their new venue!!!

Neely2005
12-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I enjoyed the Blue Jays run this past season (after 20 years of indifference) however from what I have seen (and expected) since the GM told them to piss off is they are heading back to mediocrity at a rapid pace.
What does this have to do with the Argos??
I can see a day in the not so distant future where one franchises fortunes are on the upswing (Argos) and the other (Blue Jays) are playing to under 20k a night.
Some people forget those Blue Jay crowd numbers were the norm up until this summer and will quickly revert to this if their performance slips in 2016, I personally don't care either way, I will be at BMO enjoying my team play in their new venue!!!

20k? They Jays were getting 10k just 5 years ago:

http://nesn.com/2010/04/blue-jays-struggling-to-draw-crowds-in-toronto/

Argo57
12-04-2015, 10:11 PM
20k? They Jays were getting 10k just 5 years ago:

http://nesn.com/2010/04/blue-jays-struggling-to-draw-crowds-in-toronto/

Point being they could soon be heading back down that path.

Will
12-05-2015, 10:05 AM

So long as the new President and GM treat Toronto like Cleveland.

Neely2005
12-05-2015, 08:32 PM

Oh I agree, just saying that it may even be less than 20k, again.

R.J
04-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Copeland on Hustler and Lawless.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/copeland-argos-experience-at-bmo-field-will-be-spectacular-1.475476

R.J
04-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Tweets from the Audio. Via @CFL_News

.@Mike_G_Copeland - The issue we have in this market is #Argos have been off the radar for so long. #CFL via @hustlerlawless

Haven't been outreach initiatives, advertising, marketing. - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos via @hustlerlawless via @TSN1290Radio

We need to reach younger ppl & bring them into the fold. Going to be a huge part of our effort going forward. - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos

We just need to bring Toronto sports fans into the fold. And we will. - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos via @garylawless

.@Foley4Real was on the show talking about Liberty Village, & how close it is, & how you (#Argos) want to tie into that. - @garylawless #CFL

If you manage to get young ppl interested (in #Argos) & show them it's social & fun, you can turn this pretty quickly. - @garylawless #CFL

.@garylawless - It's not simple, but you can turn it, can't you? @Mike_G_Copeland answers in affirmative. #CFL #Argos via @TSN1290Radio

Winnipeg has really understood what ppl want from sports now, in that it's all about a social experience - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos

The space around @BMOField allows us to build that social experience - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos via @hustlerlawless

I'm cautiously optimistic we're going 2 B able 2 deliver something (re: tailgating) that is true & authentic - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos

I know what tailgating has to be about. I'm militant that we're not just creating a beer gardens here - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos

We're creating a true tailgating experience. Now we have to work within the regulations - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos via @garylawless

For instance, @Mike_G_Copeland is hoping fans can bring & cook their own food as part of tailgating. #CFL #Argos via @hustlerlawless

It's a vision we have. We're going to have to build it out. This is Year One. - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos via @garylawless

Fun, authentic, affordable pre-game experience has @Mike_G_Copeland thinking you'll see ppl come down from Liberty Village. #CFL #Argos

We've got $20 tickets. One thing we heard from the fans is they want it to be affordable - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos via @hustlerlawless

jerrym
04-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Keep your promise on the recent BMO Field video: "We are going to restore this team to its prominent place in this city."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New season. New stadium. New beginnings.<br><br>New <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a>.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BMOField?src=hash">#BMOField</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IsItJuneYet?src=hash">#IsItJuneYet</a>?<a href="https://t.co/ndtlDJrV8Y">https://t.co/ndtlDJrV8Y</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/723148550637383681">April 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

R.J
04-21-2016, 01:59 PM
It's a vision we have. We're going to have to build it out. This is Year One. - @Mike_G_Copeland #CFL #Argos via @garylawless

This is what I'm very happy to hear Copeland talk about; he seems to "get it". I've seen too many times where a new ownership/leadership group comes in thinking that this is a quick fix - it's not. A lot of work has to been done and I for one am hoping to see the Argonauts figure out how to sustain success.

R.J
08-22-2016, 03:09 PM
Copeland on Gameday with Hogan and Taggart.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/copeland-not-stunned-by-argos-attendance-confident-about-future-1.552705

doubleblue
08-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Copeland on Gameday with Hogan and Taggart.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/copeland-not-stunned-by-argos-attendance-confident-about-future-1.552705

Well if the Argos can pick things up on the field attendance should pick up in the fall when those East side seats aren't like sitting in a sauna. Maybe get to 20,000 if conditions are right.
But the seats are crap. I would rather just sit on a wooden bench. Paying twice the Sky Dome price for very uncomfortable seats that are made to fit a 12 year old. (Football's a Man's game, and from the seats I guess we can conclude Soccer isn't)
Score Board nothing extra.
Don't know why Don Landry is so easy to hear over the loud speakers, but many of the other stuff you can't hear them plainly.

Good things:
The field grass is beautiful and seems to be holding up well, although it will probably get tested if we get some heavy rains before and during a game.
Closer to the action. Great access to the Players coming out of the dressing rooms.
Easy access from the GO Train.
The food isn't any worse than the Sky Dome, so I guess that goes on the "good' leger. We know were getting ripped off but it's going to a worthy cause. lol

AngeloV
08-22-2016, 07:44 PM
I still don't get the complaints about the seats being too small. I'm 6'2" and 270lbs, and I'm good, sitting in the upper west side. My only complaint about them is if you have to pass someone in your row. I feel like I'm going to fall into the row in front of me.

Neely2005
08-22-2016, 07:53 PM
I have to agree about the 200 Level seats. They're embarrassingly bad. Tiny little things with hardly any backs.

doubleblue
08-22-2016, 09:09 PM
I still don't get the complaints about the seats being too small. I'm 6'2" and 270lbs, and I'm good, sitting in the upper west side. My only complaint about them is if you have to pass someone in your row. I feel like I'm going to fall into the row in front of me.

All I can say about that, is that a lot of that 270 lbs must not be in contact with the seat. :)

ArgoGabe22
08-22-2016, 09:42 PM
200 Levels are fine. Bigger is better but really not an issue and I wouldn't call myself small.

R.J
08-22-2016, 09:47 PM
Seats are fine for me (5'6", 170 lbs I think), though I will admit after awhile I have to stand up and walk around a bit, but I never expected them to be as comfortable as my lazyboy chair, so no big deal lol.

My cousin on the other hand who's about my height, but metabolically challenged (as someone else put it), doesn't fit well into the seat.

Will
08-23-2016, 08:25 AM

Yes, especially when some of the people in my row choose not to stand up.

ArgoGabe22
08-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Yes, especially when some of the people in my row choose not to stand up.

The seats don't fold up like in the Dome so I don't think it actually makes much difference whether they sit or stand.

Will
08-23-2016, 10:24 AM
The seats don't fold up like in the Dome so I don't think it actually makes much difference whether they sit or stand.

Technically you're right, but it is still common courtesy.

R.J
08-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Funny enough that's why I don't get up when someone walks by to their seat.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8