PDA

View Full Version : Making the most out of a first Argo match

Lpibworth
07-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I'm coming over from the uk to toronto in September for our honeymoon and though it would be great for us to sample some sport and our first ever American football match on 11th September against Hamilton

Sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere but to get good viewing but also to be part of the atmosphere where are the best places to sit in the stadium at the rogers centre.

Any other tips to get the most out of coming. Hoping to buy some merchandise there if it's being sold too.

Many thanks in advance

Will
07-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the site!

The Hamilton match-up is a good one to select because they are the Argos' biggest rival and there will be lots of fans of both teams in attendance. The east side of the stadium would be preferable unless you want to sit with Hamilton fans.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/search?tm_link=tm_homeA_header_search&user_input=Toronto+Argonauts&q=Toronto+Argonauts

This is the main site to get tickets and it should help you get a picture of where tickets are available etc, I'd recommend sitting on the 200 level of the east side of the stadium. It'll give you a better view of the game than the 100 level.

As for merchandise, cflshop.ca might be your best bet. Hopefully the stadium store will have merchandise available on game day as well.

Again welcome

P.S. American Football is a tad different than what we play up here, although at first glance they do appear the same.

PullTogether73
07-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Good advice from argofan87 above.
I sit in Section 215 and am as happy with the view there as one can get at Rogers Centre.

Personally I would wait until you are at the game and go to the Jays Shop near gate 5 for Argonauts merchandise.
I find they have a very good selection compared to cflshop.ca, plus you see the merchandise before you buy.

Enjoy the game!

shayman
07-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Come to Gate 2 after the game for a (thankfully) brief and (hopefully) enthusiastic post game victory rally by the band!

jerrym
07-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Hi,

I'm coming over from the uk to toronto in September for our honeymoon and though it would be great for us to sample some sport and our first ever American football match on 11th September against Hamilton

Sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere but to get good viewing but also to be part of the atmosphere where are the best places to sit in the stadium at the rogers centre.

Any other tips to get the most out of coming. Hoping to buy some merchandise there if it's being sold too.

Many thanks in advance

Welcome on board and have a great time at the game. By the way it's Canadian, not American, football (with its own set of rules).

Lpibworth
07-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Many thanks for your advice and tips. I'll definitely look to book in the 2nd tier and look to go to the shop.

Thanks for pointing out the rules are different, not that I knew the American ones anyway. I'll have to watch a beginners guide beforehand

Should be good and hoping to enjoy the occasion and any pre and post match fun

Thanks again

argos1873
07-31-2015, 09:18 PM
Many thanks for your advice and tips. I'll definitely look to book in the 2nd tier and look to go to the shop.

Thanks for pointing out the rules are different, not that I knew the American ones anyway. I'll have to watch a beginners guide beforehand

Should be good and hoping to enjoy the occasion and any pre and post match fun

Thanks again

Here's a guide you might find helpful, made by a Brit nonetheless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gumZEVzE7I4

I hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy the game. Have fun!

1argoholic
08-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Just remember that people from Hamilton have few teeth so they'll be easy to spot. Plus they smell very bad and are very envious of the big beautiful city to the east of them.

jerrym
08-02-2015, 02:00 AM
I don't know if this will help your understanding of the Canadian football game, but here is an American quarterback's (Anthony Boone), who has just signed with the Montreal Alouettes this week, perspective on what he sees as the biggest adjustments he will have to make compared to the American game.

Boone said he'd seen a few CFL games on TV before, but didn't know much about the league or its rules. Now he's arrived in Montreal, he's finding out there are plenty of major differences for quarterbacks, which has frequently led to difficulties for rookies (http://sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/cfl_experts/post/Boise-State-to-the-Brink-Zabransky-starts-Bomb?urn=cfl-279355). Boone said the bigger field and the longer throws it requires can be particularly tough to adapt to. He said the 12th man on each side makes it harder to identify defensive alignments pre-snap, too, something he was always taught to focus on in college.
"There's an extra player on the field, so I have to try and get adjusted to that," he said. "It's going to take me a little time to adjust."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/interview--new-montreal-qb-anthony-boone-on-duke--the-cfl--michael-sam-and-more-195246325.html

The other obvious one is that because the Canadian teams have only three downs (chances) to gain 10 yards instead of four, there is a greater emphasis on passing to gain yardage quickly than on running in the Canadian game.

argomANIA
08-04-2015, 08:49 AM
I thought this was a fun read....
The CFL Explained By An Ignorant American Who Just Skimmed Wikipedia (http://uproxx.com/ksk/2015/06/the-cfl-explained-by-an-ignorant-american-who-just-skimmed-wikipedia/)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8