View Full Version : East Beating the West for a Big Change

jerrym
07-27-2015, 01:55 PM
The East is now +3 in wins against the West compared to -16 last year. This is quite a change compared to many other years in the last three decades where the West totally dominated the East.
The surprising Argos, who many felt could fall to the bottom of the East, especially with Ray out for an extended period, a largely inexperienced receiver corps, Swayze Waters and Steele injured, and a starting QB with only one start before this year, have been a major reason for the rise of the East.
Of course last year's Redblacks first season and terrible record had a lot to do with their and the East's woeful year. Ottawa's addition of receivers Chris Williams, Brad Sinopoli and Mo Price, as well as returner Jock Sanders, has a lot to do with improving their ability to score and win. Even last year their defence was pretty good but they couldn't score.
On the other side, no one was predicting a 0-5 start by the Riders, not when they had two good experienced starting QBs, Durant and Glenn. However, even though they have been putting up great yardage totals and scoring, their defence has been a disaster.

Will
07-27-2015, 02:50 PM
It is still early in the season, but it feels good nevertheless!

Gill The Thrill
08-21-2015, 02:44 AM
After watching most of the second half of that Alouettes at Lions game, there is no doubt that the East has the stronger defences save for Edmonton.

A real impressive win by the Als, 23-13, their first in Vancouver in 15 years. Interesting offensive attack being led by 2 backs, Terrell Sutton and Damien Rutley. Real old-fashioned football with a continous rushing attack and a ferocious defense. I've always noticed that when the East has had strong defences, it usually leads to a Grey Cup wins, going back to those old Montreal, Ottawa and Hamilton teams in the 70's and 60's. The Argos also had some great defenses even in seasons where they could not produce enough offense.

As much as I obviously cheer for the Argos, it's good to see all the team east of Manitoba playing very competitive. I just hope that Ottawa loss in Calgary was an aberration and not the wheels falling off as they've been very good at home, but have had two bad losses on the road in Alberta.

Tomorrow's Hamilton @ Edmonton game should be a good one.

Will
08-21-2015, 09:45 AM
It is good given all the crap that the east has had to take from the west over the years. I hope that this trend continues.

Argo
08-21-2015, 12:08 PM
After watching most of the second half of that Alouettes at Lions game, there is no doubt that the East has the stronger defences save for Edmonton.

A real impressive win by the Als, 23-13, their first in Vancouver in 15 years. Interesting offensive attack being led by 2 backs, Terrell Sutton and Damien Rutley. Real old-fashioned football with a continous rushing attack and a ferocious defense. I've always noticed that when the East has had strong defences, it usually leads to a Grey Cup wins, going back to those old Montreal, Ottawa and Hamilton teams in the 70's and 60's. The Argos also had some great defenses even in seasons where they could not produce enough offense.

As much as I obviously cheer for the Argos, it's good to see all the team east of Manitoba playing very competitive. I just hope that Ottawa loss in Calgary was an aberration and not the wheels falling off as they've been very good at home, but have had two bad losses on the road in Alberta.

Tomorrow's Hamilton @ Edmonton game should be a good one.

Oh, all those Argonauts teams way back in the day... as I recall, some very fine defensive play, with the D being utterly worn out each and every game, year after year, by some of the most ludicrous coaching and feeblest offensive play ever seen on the gridiron.

The RedBlacks need quarterbacks and running backs. I don't see Ottawa going very far this season.

"East of Manitoba", to say nothing of the 'Bombers D that played the Argos tough last game.

AngeloV
08-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Oh, all those Argonauts teams way back in the day... as I recall, some very fine defensive play, with the D being utterly worn out each and every game, year after year, by some of the most ludicrous coaching and feeblest offensive play ever seen on the gridiron.

The RedBlacks need quarterbacks and running backs. I don't see Ottawa going very far this season.

"East of Manitoba", to say nothing of the 'Bombers D that played the Argos tough last game.

Bombers have a good D. They have given up a lot of points due to offensive turnovers giving the opposition a short field (as was the case in Hamilton)...not to mention pick 6's from Brohm (also the case against Hamilton). I believe their special teams have also given up some big returns..2 TD's off the top of my head.

Gill The Thrill
08-21-2015, 02:09 PM

"East of Manitoba", to say nothing of the 'Bombers D that played the Argos tough last game.The spirit of the thread was Eastern teams. Winnipeg is not in the East, and even when they were, they're traditional fan base always preferred seeing them in the west as it is geographically more accurate. I don't think Winnipeg's D has been that great, part of a great D is preventing points and bailing out your offence when it matters at times. This Bombers team has practically closed up shop in games where Willy was injured...that's not a sign of having a thick skin as a team or a defensive unit.

I think the Redblacks have a better D as they have not given up 50 pts at home like the Bombers D has. Special teams is part of defense in that the basic skill of defense (tackling) is required to be effective at Special Teams.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8