PDA

View Full Version : 24,135 ...that's it for new Ivor Wynne.

Gill The Thrill
08-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Not really thrilled with the capacity at Tim Horton's Field. I find it a little disheartening that old Taylor Field before hosting Grey Cups in Regina used to be the smallest stadium at 27,400...now 3 teams in the east who play in much larger cities of Montreal, Ottawa and Hamilton play in stadiums that can barely hold 25,000.

We've got another thread that talks about attendance problems in Montreal and Ottawa, heck it's only a 3-5,000 less than that wonderful sellout in Hamilton yesterday...How much of a problem is that when 24,000 is considered great at Tim Horton's Field? Old Ivor Wynne used to always have more fans in the place for the Labour Day Classic in the last decade of Old IvorWynne Stadium. Crowds of 29,183 or even 30,000 on years when they put portable seating in.

I was not too keen on seeing fans lounging near the sidelines...had that yuppie feel when Hamilton football was traditionally known for die-hard fans being right on top of you with a brick wall 7 yds away from the sideline. I know it was not the safest and most conducive to modern amenities...but I have the suspicion that all the modernities have taken away from some of the atmosphere of the old place.

Could anyone who attended the game affirm whether I'm exaggerating or if they had the same impression? It may be some nostalgia as I loved watching games live and on TV from the old Ivor Wynne, but i even thought the slope of the seats did not give the crowd that same intimacy as the old Ivor Wynne.

Argo57
08-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Still a lively atmosphere at THF, totally different design that Ivor Wynne which had lower side grandstands and wrapped around the one end zone.
As with all new facilities they try to enhance the game day experience (and revenue) with all the bells and whistles and services.
I to was puzzled at the reduced capacity from Ivor Wynne but the team will simply adjust their ticket pricing to balance this out.
The biggest F**k up was keeping the stadium in the same area, should have moved it to the lake and created a restaurant and entertainment centre around it.

AngeloV
08-04-2015, 09:14 PM
It is the perfect size for a CFL stadium. It sure looks like a bigger capacity, but smartly they decided to make less, but wider seats with more leg room, rather than try and shoehorn more people in. It was my first game there, and I left very impressed and jealous. We have to face the fact that 30k crowds are a thing of the past in the east. Teams need to make the experience/atmosphere better, and it definitely was better last night...at least for me.

paulwoods13
08-04-2015, 09:48 PM
I thought it would be a dump. Instead it is a great place to watch football. If BMO can emulate something of that atmosphere we will love it.

Will
08-04-2015, 09:57 PM
My flex-pack seats are in Section 204 at right around the 40 yard line and you cannot ask for better seats. You are on top of the action and you can watch the play develop. That's all I ask from a football stadium.

argolio
08-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Fantastic stadium. Best money this government has ever spent.

PullTogether73
08-05-2015, 05:37 AM
I was very impressed with THF on Monday night.
Much better than BMO Field imo, and obviously a huge leap forward from Ivor Wynne.

ArgoZ
08-05-2015, 06:11 AM
The sideline views do not match Ivor Wynne, not even close. Like you said, we are never going to see a pro stadium like that again. The stadium is basic, very similar to BMO, but just fine. The seats are very wide. I hate being squished while trying to enjoy a game. The personal space is amazing. Sideline and premium seats are needed to make up for reduced capacity. The 24 000 crowd sounded like 40 000. Jumbtron is big and clear. Washrooms are modern, which include urinal dividers! Considering that the alternative was a decaying, pieced together, embarrassingly ugly rust bowl, it's a great facility that Hamilton should be happy got done. 10 years ago, this was a fools dream.

argolio
08-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Jumbtron is big and clear.That really stood out for me. Makes the stadium look even more impressive.

Also, the game-day presentation and in-game panel (with Mike Morreale and Paul Osbaldiston) were very good. It wouldn't surprise me if Osbaldiston ends up on the TSN panel some day.

R.J
08-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Personally I'm more peeved about not moving the stadium to a better location than the stadium seating capacity, although only 22,500 general seating is small IMO.

Percival Molson is about 25k, BMO will be around 25k, TD Place just over 24k, so at least in the East it seems to be the new norm.

Argocister
08-05-2015, 11:04 PM
So most fans are happy with the larger/more leg room seats
You are not quite as close as Ivor Wynne but the view and experience is still awesome

That really stood out for me. Makes the stadium look even more impressive.

Also, the game-day presentation and in-game panel (with Mike Morreale and Paul Osbaldiston) were very good. It wouldn't surprise me if Osbaldiston ends up on the TSN panel some day.

The in game panel is great as well. Perhaps we would be able to do something similar ..... Perhaps get Hogan and JJ on at half time and pregame.

Antwon
08-06-2015, 12:49 PM
They did a great job on the new stadium to keep as much feel as the old Ivor Wynne. It's a 100 times better game day experience.
I went to the playoff game and agree 24000 sounded like 40,000. It will be a tough stadium for visiting teams.
Besides when the Argos played there the TiCats were hard pressed to crack 24000 for the last 15 years so the size makes sense.
And with it being new it will attrack new and younger fans.
It is in the wrong location but that ship has sailed.
My only knock is I wish they could close the ends in a bit more, but that's my preference to bowl stadiums.
I love the look of Investors Group Stadium, but the Bombers have trouble selling the end zone seats some games. So again the TiCats got it right.
I just hope BMO comes close to the same feel for us next year!!!

matthew
08-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Was "Old Ivor Wynne" the official name of the stadium!!

The trend these days is to go for intimate with expandadabilty (if there is such a word) for big games.

Until the game gets hot in the east, and I think Hamilton is the lynchpin for that really, the idea seems to be not to dream too big out this way.

Not really thrilled with the capacity at Tim Horton's Field. I find it a little disheartening that old Taylor Field before hosting Grey Cups in Regina used to be the smallest stadium at 27,400...now 3 teams in the east who play in much larger cities of Montreal, Ottawa and Hamilton play in stadiums that can barely hold 25,000.

We've got another thread that talks about attendance problems in Montreal and Ottawa, heck it's only a 3-5,000 less than that wonderful sellout in Hamilton yesterday...How much of a problem is that when 24,000 is considered great at Tim Horton's Field? Old Ivor Wynne used to always have more fans in the place for the Labour Day Classic in the last decade of Old IvorWynne Stadium. Crowds of 29,183 or even 30,000 on years when they put portable seating in.

I was not too keen on seeing fans lounging near the sidelines...had that yuppie feel when Hamilton football was traditionally known for die-hard fans being right on top of you with a brick wall 7 yds away from the sideline. I know it was not the safest and most conducive to modern amenities...but I have the suspicion that all the modernities have taken away from some of the atmosphere of the old place.

Could anyone who attended the game affirm whether I'm exaggerating or if they had the same impression? It may be some nostalgia as I loved watching games live and on TV from the old Ivor Wynne, but i even thought the slope of the seats did not give the crowd that same intimacy as the old Ivor Wynne.

Argo57
08-06-2015, 07:44 PM
They did a great job on the new stadium to keep as much feel as the old Ivor Wynne. It's a 100 times better game day experience.
I went to the playoff game and agree 24000 sounded like 40,000. It will be a tough stadium for visiting teams.
Besides when the Argos played there the TiCats were hard pressed to crack 24000 for the last 15 years so the size makes sense.
And with it being new it will attrack new and younger fans.
It is in the wrong location but that ship has sailed.
My only knock is I wish they could close the ends in a bit more, but that's my preference to bowl stadiums.
I love the look of Investors Group Stadium, but the Bombers have trouble selling the end zone seats some games. So again the TiCats got it right.
I just hope BMO comes close to the same feel for us next year!!!

It's up to Argofans to create the same feel as THF.

R.J
08-13-2015, 10:42 PM
A sellout is only 23,500 at Tim Hortons Field, what the ?
http://ticats.ca/?p=24215

AngeloV
08-13-2015, 11:22 PM
A sellout is only 23,500 at Tim Hortons Field, what the ?
http://ticats.ca/?p=24215

Wonder if that is the actual seating capacity and doesn't include the picnic area.

argofandave
08-14-2015, 12:26 AM
I've got season tickets to the Ticats and my season ticket rep there told me that the game is considered a sellout if there are only single seats available. If you go to the Ticketmaster website, it shows several single seats still available for the BC game but also shows several tickets available with seats together so I don't know why it's being called a sellout.

Gill The Thrill
08-16-2015, 12:44 PM
They should be careful about calling games sellouts when they're almost sold out because it may deter walk ups from even going near the stadium if they think it's already sold out.

Was it my eyes, or did that Argo game in Winnipeg look like the Rogers Centre. I thought I saw a few too many empty seats and not just in the end zones in Winnipeg on Friday.

zontar
08-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Im as traditional as they come but THF is far more comfortable and far more enjoyable place to watch a game than IWS. Not sure how relevent the capacity complaint is

Gill The Thrill
08-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Im as traditional as they come but THF is far more comfortable and far more enjoyable place to watch a game than IWS. Not sure how relevent the capacity complaint is

Purely self-serving I'll admit, as I always liked the fact that I could walk up and get tickets for a game in Hamilton when the capacity was at over 29,000 save for Labour Day which was usually sold out before game day.

I'd like to go to a game at THF, but don't want to drive there for nothing or be forced to overpay from a scalper.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8