PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts Draft - Who would you select?

Argonut
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi Guys :D

I have decided to make my official debut in this new forum. So, let's get down to business:
The Argonauts have a total of 6 picks in this years draft
1) None
2) 9th Overall
3) None (Why does it go to Winnipeg?)
4) 24th and 28th Pick
5) 32nd
6) 40th and 41st.

What position do we need to draft?
RB? - Bryan Crawford retiring and Jeff Johnson aging
LB - With Cory Greenwood still down south - do we need another LB to develop
Rec - We have a number of Receivers from previous years, but are they good enough?
OL - If we sign Tyler Holmes (2011) and Joel Reinders, we may not need to draft one this year.
DL - Do we need a DE to back up Ricky Foley or do we just stay with the current backups - Alexandre and Robinson
DB - All we have as a NI is Matt Black.

What is our most pressing need?

ArgoGabe22
03-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Wouldn't mind drafting a Linebacker. Personally I would draft Chambers, if he gets passed down for NFL reasons or I would even trade up. I'm just a big fans of his through out his Laurier career and would love to see him in double blue. I think he's more complete than Gore, Foster and that guy in Winnipeg. The only thing is how desperate is he to land an NFL gig? Hopefully anyone we draft this year doesn't have Reinders syndrome.

OV Argo
03-06-2012, 05:15 PM
At #9, the Argos should be drafting a guy who, IMO, is being thought of as a legit prospect to compete and maybe play right away in an area of team need; I realize this flies in the face of CFL commentator cliched wisdom that NIs/draft picks "aren't ready" to play in the CFL and need "time to develop" - which may be the case a lot of times; but it just isn't all the time and there are more and more (IMO) top Canadian players coming out of both CIS & NCAA ball over the past number of years; and the Argos have plenty of areas of need (IMO) - where a young player could maybe come in and push for playing time. And this year's draft crop seems pretty deep with a number of bluechip (or close) type prospects; so, at #9 - the Argos could maybe get one of these type guys.

And I'd lay off, for sure, with a team's first pick in the draft, pretty well any player who is looking like he is going to get a good to even decent NFL shot (see Nick Kaczur to Cory Greenwood). The NFL draft (and subsequent undrafted FA signing frenzy) is before the CFL draft, so it should be fairly clear which CFL draftable guys might be getting a look down there - Chambers and Heenan mentioned, and there's a couple of NCAA guys like Crawford (DE - Boise St.) or Pastzor (OG - Virginia) who should get either NFL drafted or signed.

Like to see the Argos go after an interior O-Lineman or a top receiver with the #9 pick; but if the best ones they've identified are already gone by #9, then look elsewhere; Plesius at MLB maybe.

1argoholic
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I'd like to see them draft Campeau-Charboneau out of Sherbrooke. I think he's actually ranked 9th or he was. Seems like a good Canadian receiver. I think I wouldn't even touch guys that the NFL has interest in. We've wastes too many picks like that in the past.

ArgoRavi
03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
3) None (Why does it go to Winnipeg?)

Nice to see you back! I am guessing that this pick was part of the Steven Jyles trade.

Area 51
03-06-2012, 11:46 PM
After Chambers blew up at the combine there's absolutely no possibility he's available at #4. Apparently Plesius didn't do anything remarkable and has pushed his stock down...that's be my choice if he's there at #9.

Have to get someone who can contribute right away on ST. Can't have another draft like last year - - first rounder doesn't show up...second rounder was traded away...end up with Kuame int he third round who didn't contribute on offence or ST.

I don't expect a starter on offence or defence, but at least be able to get downfield on kick coverage and make some plays.

AngeloV
03-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing them draft Nathan Riva.

Nob
03-07-2012, 12:56 AM
I was lucky in that I have coached Pasztor and Mike Van Praet (DL UWO- and had the best bench press at the e-camp). Both played in London for the Falcons in the OVFL league Both are terrific, quiet, strong young men. For personal reasons I would love to see them in double-blue!

argolio
03-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Very pleased to see you on the forum Argonut!

eiben35
03-07-2012, 05:20 PM
We gave Winnipeg a third round pick for Steven Jyles plus a first pick 4th overall in last year's draft and a second overall in this year's draft for Ricky Ray. I don't think Barker knows what he is doing. I would definitely go receiver with the 9th overall pick. I'm disappointed that Baker could of had Gore, Foster, Cory Watson, Ianuzzi, Coehoorn and parker but choose to wait till the third round to draft Spencer watt and Djems Koume. I was at combine and a receiver from Ottawa really impressed. Bogdan Raioc. He looked good.

Argoscflguy
03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
CHAMBERS CHAMBERS CHAMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this guy is gonna be a star! and hopefully with the argos!!!!!!!!!!

AngeloV
03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
CHAMBERS CHAMBERS CHAMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this guy is gonna be a star! and hopefully with the argos!!!!!!!!!!

Unless he signs an NFL FA contract between the 2 drafts (or actually gets drafted in the NFL draft), he won't be available at #9.

RoRoYoBoat
03-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Barker's draft strategy has been catastrophic. Really the result of too much to do and not enough resources. Chris Jones and Milanovich will help considerably in this at least for this year. I would let the coaching staff drive this draft. A lot of very good athletes but for the most part projects and many that will likely be converted to other positions. I'd avoid head cases like Nadon and Plesius not worth the hassle. Give precedence at equal talent to Ontario kids and gauge desire better. Something Barker was really poor at gauging the last two drafts.

1argoholic
03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
I agree with your comments RoRoYoBoat. I hope they don't just waste picks.

marcwagz
03-09-2012, 10:34 PM
i'd go for ismael bamba wr from sherbrooke

OV Argo
03-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Players I hope could still be available when the Argos pick:

#9 - receiver - either of Charbonneau-Campeau or Bamba (both from Sherbrooke); Chambers may be the top rated reciever in this draft and may get an NFL look; but IMO the 2 Sherby guys may be better receivers - certainly much better on field production in college ball

#24 - a DT - one of Thomas, Van Praaet, Westerman or Postuma: Bilukidi may be the best DT prospect in this draft and I'll bet he's taken first round, but one of the other good DT prospects should still be available; and if Huntley and / or Wroten are not with it and strong for TC and capable of a solid CFL season, then give a Canadian DT a real shot - maybe a platoon of Alexandre and a draft pick getting playing time at DT

#28 - a LB - athletic, tough LBs should make good special teams gunners/tacklers/blockers; and maybe the guy is a smart defensive player who could learn/develop fast to be able to play some on D and start down the road - one of Hurl, Regimbald-Gagne or Beaulieu-Richard should still be available at #28

#32 - a DB (as a safety prospect); Younger might become an excellent safety now with all his CFL experience and i guess Pile could still go back there if need be; but a young back-up safety would be nice to groom; Hollohan (StFX) put up an outstanding set of athletic testing #s at the CFL Combine and he's been a CIS all-star as both a corner and safety - i'll bet he's taken well before #32 overall, but you never know; Harrison Maloney (Bishops) - all-star D-half in CIS ball, but a big DB (always liked a big, hard-hitting safety) - should still be available for the Argos with their later round picks

1argoholic
03-27-2012, 09:27 PM
I want someone who can help right away. Just don't draft a guy who heads south and we never see him again.

ArgoGabe22
03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Didn't Hollohan miss the entire season or is that someones else? I would like to see Wilkerson Desouza in double blue, wasn't the last UofT Argo Mike Eben in the 70's?

OV Argo
03-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Didn't Hollohan miss the entire season or is that someones else? I would like to see Wilkerson Desouza in double blue, wasn't the last UofT Argo Mike Eben in the 70's?

Hardly; Dean Dorsey, Lance Chomyc and John Raposo to name a few; i'll bet there are a few others at least; Desouza might be a nice later round pick.

Argocister
03-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I hope that the Argos stay away from those that will probably hold out for a chance in the NFL. We've been disappointed the last few years.
Justin Cappiciotti apparently had a good camp and that would be a solid DL that may not take too long to get up to speed.
Word has it from those in the Q that Regimbald at LB is close to physically ready for the next level.
Hollohan would be a good bet . He did rehab this year but obviously worked hard to get in top shape for the e-camp.
I think Greene would be a good selection. He is a QB and very athletic and he mentioned he just wants to play football. Not sure where he would be placed. I've seen QBs at LB and WR .
The OL would be nice to get but I think these will either go back to school or need a couple of years. Heenan would be ready but he's probably going for the big bucks. (don't blame him)
WR is difficult to choose. Chambers is the best and most ready, and he will be gone before the Argos even have a chance. (even if he stays in the CFL) I don't think I have a favourite. Perhpas Foceshato, but that may be my Marauder slant coming through.I like Bamba and SCC from Sherbrooke, but also Aprile and Brescacin. Some of these can go back for another year of university (not sure which ones )

argolio
03-28-2012, 12:22 AM
DT Gabe Robinson, who I think played from 03-04, went to U of T.

1argoholic
03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Remember Glenn 'the Squirrel' McCausland who was a receiver/returner with U of T in the early 90's when they beat U of C in their last Vanier win which was at Skydome. A whole buch of us went down to the very fun game. McCausland was brought into camp by the Argos. He was as small as a football player that I can remember but hell was he a great returner.

AngeloV
03-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Remember Glenn 'the Squirrel' McCausland who was a receiver/returner with U of T in the early 90's when they beat U of C in their last Vanier win which was at Skydome. A whole buch of us went down to the very fun game. McCausland was brought into camp by the Argos. He was as small as a football player that I can remember but hell was he a great returner.

That was a very good team. I remember that a bunch of guys from that team played in one of my spring touch football leagues including McCausland, WR Francis Ettiene and QB Mario Sturino. Surprisingly, they didn't win the league, but man were they athletic.

ArgoGabe22
01-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Ismael Bamba just got released who was mentioned a few time before the draft. They obviously didn't have the patience to work out his raw speed.

ArgoGabe22
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Ismael Bamba just got released who was mentioned a few time before the draft. They obviously didn't have the patience to work out his raw speed.

Well that was quick, he just signed with Edmonton.

OV Argo
01-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Well that was quick, he just signed with Edmonton.

I wish Barker could have been on that and signed the guy for a shot; very impressive college ball receiving production in both NCAA and CIS play, plus some good athletic testing #s at the CFL Combine; but the Argos had several chances to draft him and they passed, so maybe not a decent prospect at all in their eyes.

ArgoRavi
01-11-2013, 02:30 AM
I wish Barker could have been on that and signed the guy for a shot; very impressive college ball receiving production in both NCAA and CIS play, plus some good athletic testing #s at the CFL Combine; but the Argos had several chances to draft him and they passed, so maybe not a decent prospect at all in their eyes.

You may be correct about the Argos' perception of Bamba but if he was claimed off of waivers by Edmonton, the Argos never would have had a shot at him this time anyway.

doubleblue
01-11-2013, 09:09 PM
So who do the Argos look to draft this year. DE Jesse Joseph at UConn is listed #8 where the Argos will pick, barring Barker trading that pick away. RB Steven Lumbala might be someone to pick if they are looking at eventually replacing Jeff Johnson. But with 6 D-Linemen rated in the top 8, it may be the time to bulk up the D-Line.

OV Argo
01-11-2013, 09:57 PM
So who do the Argos look to draft this year. DE Jesse Joseph at UConn is listed #8 where the Argos will pick, barring Barker trading that pick away. RB Steven Lumbala might be someone to pick if they are looking at eventually replacing Jeff Johnson. But with 6 D-Linemen rated in the top 8, it may be the time to bulk up the D-Line.

Yeah - if the Argos are going to give any consideration to a NI getting to play DT - and with Armstead and Belli both gone - this could be where they might look at #8 or later; Charles (Rams) and Gaydosh (Dinos) are both huge, all-star CIS DTs and likely first rounder - both rated high; there is also a couple of Div I starting DTs - Urban (Virginia - and from Mississauga) and Shahin (Rice) - but i believe they both have a year left down there; an under the radar guy might be Laval's Bernier - another big DT who impressed me on that tough Rouge & Or D. Mind you - if Laing from last year's draft reports for TC, maybe not as big a need; but this year's prospects may be better and lots of competition for an open starting job should be a good thing.
A good crop at DE too this draft - but if the Argos keep Foley and Flemons around, they also have Lee who was quite impressive when he played last year, IMO, so not as big a need as DT perhaps.

Might be tempting to take one of the top O-Line prospects in the first round too.

Time to get some more impact players thru the draft - smart, open minded scouting is key.

1argoholic
01-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Judging on how Barker likes to go off board I'm not even going to attempt to wonder about what they are going to do. Wonder if Laing and Tone Tone are at camp this year as well as Wilson.

ArgoGabe22
01-12-2013, 10:44 AM
The thing with Willson is he got drafted by the Jays so that'll be a dilemma . If we draft another O-Lineman (depends on who's available, Barker has the take the best player available approach) I would be so frustrated as a fan. I want to see the Argos have more Canadian talent outside of the O-line or as receivers.

OV Argo
01-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Thing is with Wilson - even if he does show for TC (i'll take bets on that he won't) - where does he play in the Argo offence? - as a very little used fullback? - or do the Argos start featuring that Als package of a H-back/TE/FB - Lavoie was quite impressive there last year and Kerry Carter played the role before - still a part-time look in their offence though but Millonovich saw/implemented it in Montreal; or maybe the Argos stun the CFL establishment and Wilson lines up as a true tight end and they run a single TE set lots? -another Mel Profit or Peter Mueller - yep, and pigs will fly too.

Both Tonye-Tonye and Greenwood (? doubtful) showing up for TC would sure create a log jam at NI linebacker if Pottinger and Tristan Black are still around.

Agree with you - the Argos should be open-minded and wide-eyed about the draft and prepared to address any position need; a DT to compete for a starting job there; if Kackert jumps to the NFL - think about drafting a RB to compete for playing time; a safety prospect to learn from Younger plus maybe play soon as a dime back; i wouldn't be opposed to an O-Line pick if it was a guy who could come in and compete for playing time right away. But if the draft thinking is just back-ups/depth at "Canadian positions" or special teamers or "projects" - then IMO it severly limits your draft capability.

1argoholic
01-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Barker seems to like the game of digging up talent that no one else is talking about. Well see if this pans out. I think he has to draft best possible talent available. I'm not big on the crap shoot style.

paulwoods13
01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
I think he has to draft best possible talent available. I'm not big on the crap shoot style.

Do you think he has passed over the best available talent in favour of lesser talent? Why would any GM do that? Isn't it self-evident that every team picks either the best player left on their own draft board, or the player who best fills a particular need? The only exception being that some high-talent guys get left alone in the CFL draft because of the belief they will go to the NFL.

Every draft, especially in football, is one giant crapshoot. How often does the first player chosen turn out to be the best player chosen, and so on down the line? Never.

paulwoods13
01-12-2013, 02:39 PM
If we draft another O-Lineman (depends on who's available, Barker has the take the best player available approach) I would be so frustrated as a fan. I want to see the Argos have more Canadian talent outside of the O-line or as receivers.

If we were absolutely loaded with NI talent on the o-line, you'd have a case. But we're not. We have one guy (Van Zeyl) who seems as if he might develop into an all-star, one guy (Eppele) who seems as if he might develop into a long-term starter, and one guy (Reinders) who might become either but we don't have enough evidence yet. Then we have a bunch of journeymen including three guys (Keeping, Smith and Parenteau) who are serviceable but will never be stars. I would be fine adding more o-linemen. Since the draft is apparently heavy on d-linemen, I hope we get some of those as well. If there are any great "skill position" guys available when it's our turn, then grab 'em but at this point I think we need to load up on the two lines.

argolio
01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Hopefully they continue to draft the best player available based strictly on how they think they will project as pros.

OV Argo
01-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Do you think he has passed over the best available talent in favour of lesser talent? Why would any GM do that? Isn't it self-evident that every team picks either the best player left on their own draft board, or the player who best fills a particular need? The only exception being that some high-talent guys get left alone in the CFL draft because of the belief they will go to the NFL.

Every draft, especially in football, is one giant crapshoot. How often does the first player chosen turn out to be the best player chosen, and so on down the line? Never.

I think you may be over-estimating (or would that be under-estimating?) CFL draft "thinking" - where IMO - a limited or myopic view of NI talent and how they fit a CFL team's needs often comes into play.

Of couse there can be a wide divergence in player ratings, and I'd love to know just how somebody determines "best player" when we are talking so many different positions in football - i.e. is the best linebacker available a "better player" than the best offensive tackle ???

The CFL draft has been getting more attention over the past number of years, with more interest in events like the E-Camp, and some rankings/rating for draftable players going on (Duane Forde a leader there - there was so little in football media guys up here that knew or cared about the CFL draft in the past); of course this is huge in NFL football - all kinds of NFL draft prospect sites, articles, debate. A CFL draft ranking often flies right out the window on CFL draft day - with all kinds of surprise, questionable, bizzarre or iffy type picks happening and top rated or all-star college ball players often ignored or over-looked.

CFL "thinkers", IMO. don't approach the draft based more on pure talent or skills of players like other team sports do (compared to the NFL let's say) - because they mostly view Canadians playing llimited roles on their teams (a lot of NI O-Linemen play, one or two receivers per team maybe, though it can vary on the different teams). SO - we see some of the "best" draftable Canadian players sometimes picked late or else totally ignored by CFL thinkers (QBs a prime example - Quinlan or Billy Greene not drafted AT ALL last draft; nor were, for example, Sebastian Levesque - an explosive, big stats type RB from a CIS powerhouse, or Dyaln Hollohan - 2 time CIS all-star DB who also put up an outstanding set of testing #s at the CFL E-Camp)= ??? - meanwhile the Argos draft Quincy Hurst, Shea Pierre and Aaron Crawford ? - somebody please explain to me how in any way, shape or form - those guys are "better/best players" compared to the names I mentined before them? I guess somebody is going to say - well, better fit for the pros - what as special teamers, never used back-ups, long-snappers, etc? - i guess, maybe, somehow.

I guess Barker thought Cleon Laing was the "best player" on the board when the Argos got to pick last year? - maybe he was the top rated DT to the Argos and they were addressing that specific position - could be i guess (didn't Barker say he knew Laing thru some coaching connection down south?) - but pretty hard for me to believe that Laing - a part-time player in Div I ball (graduated to starter in his final year), with little to modest stats, is somehow a "better" football player than college ball defensive stars like Plesius or Gascon-Nadon, or a repeat all-star O-Lineman like Matt Norman (who started as a rookie for BC last year), or a CIS leading receiver like Charbonneau-Campeau (Barkler not heard of receivers like Fantuz, Bagg, Shawn Gore, Cory Watson from CIS ball?) not to mention Hec (most oustanding player in the country) winning QBs; but whatever; I hope Laing shows up and contributes well to the Argos.

1argoholic
01-13-2013, 02:05 AM
It's the picking of Laing, Wilson and Tone Tone that have me scratching my head. One would hope that these players show up and do something. Laing didn't seem to do much in the games I saw this year. Well I guess OV's thoughts are said well enough for me. It all worked out and we won the Grey Cup but I think we need improvement in our Canadian draft selection.

doubleblue
01-13-2013, 09:53 AM
The Argos have had really bad luck with their top picks over the years. They seem to be either too good, (Kaczur, Federkeil, Dawson, Greenwood and Holmes), go the NFL and never return. Or a bust like the OLineman they picked #1 out of Wake Forest.
Joe Eppele from a couple of years ago looked for a while like he wasn't really a first rounder, but he started to look like he will be a good Left Guard going forward late in the season.
Kaczur IMO was the only blue chipper of the NFL guys. Holmes may turn out to be a regular in the NFL, but he wasn't drafted so the odds are against him. Federkeil, Dawson and Greenwood were good players but made the NFL being in the right place at the right time IMO.

ArgoGabe22
01-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Yes I agree with what determines one being the best player available? Obviously each team has their own scouts and their own draft board rankings but I wouldn't be surprised if some NCAA draftees with little playing time are ranked higher than a CIS starter or even all star. I'm not critical of Barker and never was but I wonder if they valued Eppele (NCAA, little experience) higher than Shomari Williams (Proven CIS player) if they had the first pick.

ArgoRavi
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes I agree with what determines one being the best player available? Obviously each team has their own scouts and their own draft board rankings but I wouldn't be surprised if some NCAA draftees with little playing time are ranked higher than a CIS starter or even all star. I'm not critical of Barker and never was but I wonder if they valued Eppele (NCAA, little experience) higher than Shomari Williams (Proven CIS player) if they had the first pick.

In the 2010 draft from what I recall, the Argos did have the first overall pick originally but traded it to Saskatchewan for the second and third picks overall. Barker felt that getting both Eppele and Greenwood was worth more than getting Williams alone. Three years later, Eppele looks like he may be developing into a solid starting guard - although this upcoming season will tell us a lot more about that - while Greenwood may soon be in Toronto if he gets caught up in the purge in KC (furthermore, he is due for a decent raise this year which might expedite his exit from the NFL). Williams has had ups and downs in his career and is now a free agent. If the Argos are interested in him, they could sign him this off-season.

ArgoGabe22
01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
The Argos needed younger CDN linemen (and guys like that don't just grow on trees), I get that but I just wonder how much better is one ranked because he has NCAA experience over a 4 year CIS player. Hollohan is a great example and often used by OV and I too thought he should've been drafted. It is interesting to see what Barker does this year unless he gets dumped (haven't heard much lately on extension)

ArgoRavi
01-13-2013, 07:30 PM
The Argos needed younger CDN linemen (and guys like that don't just grow on trees), I get that but I just wonder how much better is one ranked because he has NCAA experience over a 4 year CIS player. Hollohan is a great example and often used by OV and I too thought he should've been drafted. It is interesting to see what Barker does this year unless he gets dumped (haven't heard much lately on extension)

I am pretty sure that Barker isn't getting dumped at this late date so I am sure that he will be leading the draft. One thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that success at a lower level (i.e. university or junior) doesn't necessarily mean that one will have success at the pro level. Even when you look at the United States alone, where there are thousands upon thousands of university football players, only a very small proportion of those will get a chance at the next level, and conference all-star selections are a guarantee of nothing. Here in Canada, just because you can defend against Waterloo's QB or you can run all over U of T's defence, it doesn't mean that you are capable of doing the same against the professionals.

OV Argo
01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
I am pretty sure that Barker isn't getting dumped at this late date so I am sure that he will be leading the draft. One thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that success at a lower level (i.e. university or junior) doesn't necessarily mean that one will have success at the pro level. Even when you look at the United States alone, where there are thousands upon thousands of university football players, only a very small proportion of those will get a chance at the next level, and conference all-star selections are a guarantee of nothing. Here in Canada, just because you can defend against Waterloo's QB or you can run all over U of T's defence, it doesn't mean that you are capable of doing the same against the professionals.

Agreed Ravi - success at the college ball or lower levels of football are no guarantee the player will be able to cut it in the pros; there are some star college players who may not have it to bring their game to the next level - size, strength, atheticism issues that may have got them by in college ball but would not necesssarily translate to pro ball.

But surely you realize that the pro scouts and GMs have to go by something when looking at who to draft and sign; they can "scout" by watching players actually play football - live or on tape, plus take into consideration things like stats or all-star or other awards recognition, PLUS - they can talk to connections they would have at those lower levels of football - coaches they know there - to get some reccomendations on who is a pro prospect candidate. Then - there is also football testing and measuring - the CFL has it's E-Camp, that also includes some basic football drills along with interviews to look at the player's attitudes or intelligence to go along with measureables like size, speed, strength.

IF you believe CFL scouts and GMs are doing a thorough job of looking at the NI talent pool for the CFL draft - that could well be (i'm not so sure though); and the NI talent pool does not have thousands of players to consider like the NFL might have to sift through. SO - when certain NI draftable players have shown stellar play or stats or recognition in actual on field evidence in college ball, PLUS have been examined at Combine type testing and they show pro size or good atheticism testing #s as well, AND then they are not drafted at all by the CFL - seems to me you have to ask yourself WHY? - and when there are basically yearly CFL draft picks that have not shown that much in college ball play or were not at CFL Combine type testing. Could be some of these examples are guys who totally bombed in the interview process and came across as dummies to CFL scouts and GMs ? I'll use the example of Hollohan, Quinlan and Levesque from last year's draft - not picked at all = obviously all 8 CFL teams were in agreement that these guys were not worth a draft pick. Could be they are the types who don't have it to play at the pro level and so all 8 teams were able to write them off - maybe they came across really bad in the interviews or looked bad in the Combine drills? I'm just not convinced - like you maybe are - that it was simply because they didn't show well in some or all aspects of scouting; and i believe there may be some other CFL "scouting" and attitudes issues towards NI talent/players at work there. Just IMO and of course there is no "proof" to be had either way there. I believe it was the NFL draft though - and some award winning, all-star, top stat, players were totally over-looked in the NFL draft - there would be all sorts of reporters or football observers/fans asking questions about why; not sure we get much or any of that scrutiny with the CFL draft though, and the GMs aren't really asked questions there.

Wobbler
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
I hope everyone is keeping in mind how difficult it is to draft effectively in the CFL. The pool of players isn't large, but they are scattered across the continent. Scouting budgets are small, so there is limited data and a lot of reliance on second hand opinion. Players experience very different "systems" and levels of competition, increasing the challenge of comparing them. And then there's the fun of trying to guess how much NFL attention a given player will receive and whether that is prohibitive.

Of course GMs will make mistakes. It's a tough job.

I was going to add something like "We probably wouldn't do as well and there's no point in complaining", but now that I think about it, screw that. I would like to see two things happen:

1) Limited crowdsourcing of player evaluation by the Argos. Many of us live in places where we have the chance to watch draft candidates. Some of us would probably do some free scouting for the team and some of that data could be useful, if managed properly.

2) During this year's draft, I propose that we each offer our own preferred choices (on Twitter, since that's ideal for real-time events) when the Argos are on the clock. I'll assemble a list of the participants' selections and at some point in the future we can see who did better than management, judged by collective consensus.

ArgoGabe22
01-13-2013, 11:08 PM
^ Loving that idea Wobbler, something to do to keep the offseason fun and maybe will force some to pay more attention to the drfat. I'm in on that.

paulwoods13
01-14-2013, 09:59 AM
I believe it was the NFL draft though - and some award winning, all-star, top stat, players were totally over-looked in the NFL draft - there would be all sorts of reporters or football observers/fans asking questions about why; not sure we get much or any of that scrutiny with the CFL draft though, and the GMs aren't really asked questions there.

OV, I used to follow the NFL draft very closely in the 1980s, and there were always lots of big-name, all-star type players who didn't get ranked or get a sniff. I never saw any outcry about it. Some Heisman hopefuls were/are simply seen as not good fits for the pros. Fans and the media seem to accept it, and life goes on. Were/are there guys who might have surprised everyone if given an opportunity somewhere? No doubt. But I do doubt there were/are tons of guys being unfairly overlooked, by either league.

OV Argo
01-14-2013, 05:14 PM
OV, I used to follow the NFL draft very closely in the 1980s, and there were always lots of big-name, all-star type players who didn't get ranked or get a sniff. I never saw any outcry about it. Some Heisman hopefuls were/are simply seen as not good fits for the pros. Fans and the media seem to accept it, and life goes on. Were/are there guys who might have surprised everyone if given an opportunity somewhere? No doubt. But I do doubt there were/are tons of guys being unfairly overlooked, by either league.

OK Paul; I realize some top US college ball talent gets overlooked in the NFL draft at times; but they're picking from a much larger talent pool at all positions; so, IMO - they have a way better excuse than CFL draft "thinkers".

Even so; I've followed the NFL draft some over the years too - maybe never "very closely" though - but I think you are over-stating the "lots" part; so for comparison sake - and if there are so many examples to go by - take any NFL draft year you like and find me one that includes:

a) - both: the Heisman winning QB (and not some 5-10 running QB who only ran an option offence) AND a QB who had led his team to the NCAA ball national championshipe win - not being drafted at all

b) - a RB who had been the star starter on a national championship team + a top stats RB (say top 10 in a season rushing) in college ball - not being drafted at all

and,
c) - a DB (or pick any defensive position group - line. linebacker, DBs - if it makes it easier) who had been a conference all-star or all-american (whatever) twice, and who had been invited to the NFL Combine and there led or was near the top in testing #s in pretty well all the tests they do - not being drafted at all

An NFL draft year with a) thru c) on display? - which year?

And it's not a matter of "unfairly overlooked" - to me anyhow; it's more a matter of no good reason or myopia or stupidity on display - unless it can be "fairly" explained. For example, for a) - if both the QBs were 5-10, option offence QBs - makes some sense if the NFL does not use that type of offence at all.

ArgoGabe22
01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
One thing that may be overlooked is the whole interview process. I think the Wonderlic is pointless but there are guys who may have character issues and teams are not willing to give them a chance or want to protect the team's image.

AngeloV
01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
One thing that may be overlooked is the whole interview process. I think the Wonderlic is pointless but there are guys who may have character issues and teams are not willing to give them a chance or want to protect the team's image.

I'm sure football IQ weighs heavily in the interview process as well.

KCargosfan
01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Heisman finalist Collin Klein of Kansas State will not be drafted this year because he blows at throwing the ball.

doubleblue
01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Heisman finalist Collin Klein of Kansas State will not be drafted this year because he blows at throwing the ball.

Saw him play in the East-West Shrine Bowl. Thought Seth Doege of Texas Tech was more of a CFL type QB, but the Argos don't need any more QB's right now with RR and the two young guys.

paulwoods13
01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
. . . the Argos don't need any more QB's right now with RR and the two young guys.

There is no guarantee that either of the two young guys will develop into capable QBs. The only team that doesn't need any more QBs, IMO, is one with a proven starter, a proven, experienced backup and at least two development guys who have clearly demonstrated, on the field in game action, that they have potential to develop into starters. I think we meet one of those three criteria at the moment. I like the potential that both Harris and Collaros have shown, but their only game action was against a dishevelled opponent so I'm not yet ready to declare them off-limits to competition. And of course we don't have anything even resembling a proven backup at the moment. I hope JB brings in someone with CFL experience to compete for No. 2, and I would not be opposed to bringing in at least one more rookie to compete for No. 3.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8