PDA

View Full Version : Ricky back on 6 games injured list: Is this the end?

argotom
08-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Here is the latest.
Which begs the questions is Ricky finished?

http://www.tsn.ca/argos-return-qb-ray-to-six-game-injured-list-1.347438

Wobbler
08-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Did you read the article?

argotom
08-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Did you?
The team has returned him back on another 6, meaning he could come back earlier or frankly not at all?

AngeloV
08-19-2015, 03:11 AM
Did you?
The team has returned him back on another 6, meaning he could come back earlier or frankly not at all?

I did. It says that Ray may come back on Sept 26. That means he would only miss 4 games. The 6 game list is a precaution that would save the team cap space, and not necessarily etched in stone that the player will miss 6 games. Jermaine Gabriel was 6 gamed and only missed 2.

Having said that, I think that as long as Harris keeps winning and playing well, he will be the starter for the remainder of this season.

Will
08-19-2015, 10:06 AM
​This is the end, my only friend, the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b26BD5KjH0

Argo57
08-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Here is the latest.
Which begs the questions is Ricky finished?

http://www.tsn.ca/argos-return-qb-ray-to-six-game-injured-list-1.347438

The team is winning, Harris is playing pretty well and gaining valuable experience, Ray not quite ready so why rush him, that's what I took from this article.
To be honest even if the Argonauts weren't winning they wouldn't rush Ray back, Milanovich and Barker have too much decency to risk anyone health IMO.

argotom
08-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Regardless of his status, for me Harris plays the rest of the year unless he falters.

Argocister
08-19-2015, 10:47 PM
If we look at Lulay ..... Which I think had a similar surgery.... He took a year off and then tried to come back the following year, .....came back too early, damaged himself again and had to sit a 2nd year.

Let's learn from someone else's mistakes, and give
Ray the time he needs. Even if it means the whole year. Of course I can sit in my dining room and say that because we have Harris. And if course, if Ray is done for the year, it will be interesting what type of contract he can garner.

As an aside, are we seeing much of this in the TO media?

argolio
08-20-2015, 12:05 AM
It would make sense to have Ricky return on Sept. 26th after a bye week..

Whether he starts at all this year only time will tell, but I'd feel a lot more confident having more options with him on the active roster.

Argo
08-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Regardless of his status, for me Harris plays the rest of the year unless he falters.

Makes excellent sense to me. I'd like to see Ray get some playing time along the way (if/when he returns), but strictly only as the game situation allowed.

1argoholic
08-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Shoulder issues for a qb aren't good so they have no issue about rushing him back. Ricky has plenty left in the tank and will obviously be well rested and properly healed when he's ready to finally go. Why screw the guys career for good by rushing him?

Stevoman
08-20-2015, 10:38 AM
This is the year for Trevor Harris. Once Ray is healthy enough to return, he should be in a back up role and slowly get in some playing time. Yes, with what happened to Lulay last year, it is smart to be cautious. Argos also have to extend Harris because even if Ray is medically cleared it is unknown if he will be the same. Harris is too good to let walk.

Will
08-20-2015, 11:28 AM
With the east being tight so far this year and Harris playing well, I do not see the need to replace him outright mid-season so long as he continues to play well. Why mess with that chemistry?

PullTogether73
08-20-2015, 02:16 PM
With the east being tight so far this year and Harris playing well, I do not see the need to replace him outright mid-season so long as he continues to play well. Why mess with that chemistry?

The last line above is something of which I hadn't thought.
Harris has been throwing to a group of new receivers this year. Neither he nor Ricky Ray have dealt with these guys before.
Now Harris has experience dealing with them in game conditions, and is developing a chemistry with them - something Ray has not done yet. Not only has Harris been successful this year with these guys, but he has been distributing the ball among them, rather than focusing on one or two of them.

This might be the determining factor in keeping Harris in when Ray is ready to return.

doubleblue
08-20-2015, 02:33 PM
I can't see Ricky coming back and just get thrown into the fray as long as Harris is healthy and playing well. What I could see though is when the games get real serious near the end of the schedule and in the playoffs, Ricky experience may come to the fore and Milanovich will want him in there.

However, long term they have to keep Harris going forward. Which means Ricky could see a bit of a bidding war for his services next year. That is providing he appears to be 100% healthy when he finally gets in there this year. Ottawa would look pretty good with Ricky Ray passing the ball next year instead of inconsistent Henry.

ArgoRavi
08-20-2015, 09:35 PM
As a fan, I feel no less comfortable with Harris at the helm than I do with Ray. I really do think that this is now Trevor Harris's team but I do still want Ray to stay long-term as a dependable backup. When Ray comes back, I do think he will get some playing time this season to be ready for the post-season in case his name is called. However, I strongly suspect that Barker and Milanovich are leaning towards Harris continuing to be #1 with part of the reason being the chemistry that he has with this receiving corps.

Wobbler
08-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Harris has been excellent, and I too feel comfortable with him at the helm. But at this point it is reasonable to project us as a playoff team, and for the playoffs "comfort" isn't enough - we will want to use our *best* guy. On paper, that's Ray.

Obviously we shouldn't start Harris for 18 games and then throw Ray in for the East final (yes, we're going to finish #1). Ray needs to get some real playing time - not just mop-up duty, assuming someday we win a game before the final play - when he's healthy, so we can evaluate him and see who really is our *best* guy.

Even if it turns out that we plan to trade Ray in the off-season (which I doubt), it would be important to show that he's still got it, in order to maximize his value.

Argo57
08-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Harris has been excellent, and I too feel comfortable with him at the helm. But at this point it is reasonable to project us as a playoff team, and for the playoffs "comfort" isn't enough - we will want to use our *best* guy. On paper, that's Ray.

Obviously we shouldn't start Harris for 18 games and then throw Ray in for the East final (yes, we're going to finish #1). Ray needs to get some real playing time - not just mop-up duty, assuming someday we win a game before the final play - when he's healthy, so we can evaluate him and see who really is our *best* guy.

Even if it turns out that we plan to trade Ray in the off-season (which I doubt), it would be important to show that he's still got it, in order to maximize his value.

I thought this was the last year of his contract anyway??

Argo
08-21-2015, 11:57 AM
As a fan, I feel no less comfortable with Harris at the helm than I do with Ray. I really do think that this is now Trevor Harris's team but I do still want Ray to stay long-term as a dependable backup. When Ray comes back, I do think he will get some playing time this season to be ready for the post-season in case his name is called. However, I strongly suspect that Barker and Milanovich are leaning towards Harris continuing to be #1 with part of the reason being the chemistry that he has with this receiving corps.

I agree 100%

Will
09-03-2015, 12:28 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ricky Ray in his helmet and shoulder pads and practising with the Toronto Argos today.</p>&mdash; Dan Ralph (@danralphcp) <a href="https://twitter.com/danralphcp/status/639473846916153345">September 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AngeloV
09-03-2015, 12:29 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ricky Ray in his helmet and shoulder pads and practising with the Toronto Argos today.</p>— Dan Ralph (@danralphcp) <a href="https://twitter.com/danralphcp/status/639473846916153345">September 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks promising for him to start on Sep 26 in Ottawa.

argonaut11xx
09-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Ricky Ray is back !!!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl

doubleblue
09-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Ricky Ray is back !!!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl

You could see Ricky throwing in the back ground during Milanovich's interview yesterday. He looked to be winging it pretty good. Just a matter of time until they work him back into the lineup. I expect him to be better than ever after corrective surgery. He just wasn't himself last year playing with a bum shoulder.

argolio
09-03-2015, 06:25 PM
I like his comments in the TSN article, not that I expected much different from him.

Always better when we have the most options possible, and a (hopefully) healthy Ray gives us that.

D-Gap-Willie
09-04-2015, 08:49 AM
I like his comments in the TSN article, not that I expected much different from him.

Always better when we have the most options possible, and a (hopefully) healthy Ray gives us that.

Let's not hope to be needing the "most options possible", because we don't have them right now. If Trevor goes down at THF and Ricky proves out to be not ready for contact/starting, then Mcpherson is our starting QB. Cross your fingers and hold your breath.

matchuk
09-04-2015, 02:14 PM
even if he is ready to go right now, i wouldn't play Ray against the ticats at all this week, especially at THF where players might be gunning for him in front of a huge home crowd in the biggest game of the season

R.J
09-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Sit Ray until he's game ready and even then bring him along slowly into the starters spot. With the way Harris has been playing, there is zero urgency to have Ray back and starting.

Stevoman
09-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Good to have him back but yes, he should back up Harris and slowly be eased into games so that he is ready if necessary.

argotom
09-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Keep the status quo.
Ricky can be a good mentor to TH.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8