View Full Version : Rumour : Argos talking to Stamps about Crapigna

R.J
09-16-2015, 02:06 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/hash-marks-als-crompton-takes-snaps-with-starters-1.361430

Toronto Argonauts
With growing concerns about Argonauts kicker Swayze Waters' health, reports have suggest that the Argos inquired about Calgary Stampeders all-Canadian kicker Tyler Crapigna.

SMH, didn't the Argos have a good young kicker not too long ago ?

AngeloV
09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/hash-marks-als-crompton-takes-snaps-with-starters-1.361430

SMH, didn't the Argos have a good young kicker not too long ago ?

I think Crapigna was a much better kicker at the CIS level than Pfeffer. Could be seen as less of a project.

Will
09-16-2015, 03:03 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Growing concerns about Swayze Waters health? Hearing <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> inquired about <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Stamps?src=hash">#Stamps</a> PR kicker Tyler Crapigna. We&#39;ll keep him, says CGY <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Matthew Scianitti (@TSNScianitti) <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/644182719203819520">September 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Calgary said no is the way I interpret this tweet.

R.J
09-16-2015, 03:29 PM
If that's an actual response from Calgary good on them, foresight to keep a kicker with potential just in case................................... and they have 3 kickers, what a concept.

OV Argo
09-16-2015, 03:37 PM
I think Crapigna was a much better kicker at the CIS level than Pfeffer. Could be seen as less of a project.

Crapigna is a good place kicker, but is not close to a pro level punter (IMO - and unless he has been training lots as a punter with the Stumps); Pfeffer (who was the leading punter in CIS ball and also a place kicker there) clearly has skills at both jobs and might become a very good dual kicker in the CFL; AGAIN - HUGE mistake by the Argos to let this Pfeffer kid go when they could have stashed him on the IR or PR or whatever to see how Watters would do on his return or even to have as insurance down the key part of the season.

R.J
09-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Crapigna is a good place kicker, but is not close to a pro level punter (IMO - and unless he has been training lots as a punter with the Stumps); Pfeffer (who was the leading punter in CIS ball and also a place kicker there) clearly has skills at both jobs and might become a very good dual kicker in the CFL; AGAIN - HUGE mistake by the Argos to let this Pfeffer kid go when they could have stashed him on the IR or PR or whatever to see how Watters would do on his return or even to have as insurance down the key part of the season.
Evidently it wasn't worth the trouble to find a way to keep Pfeffer around, especially because you know Waters isn't "allegedly" injury prone.

Will
09-16-2015, 03:59 PM
I have to ask as I admittedly did not follow the banter in the other Pfeffer thread and that is what do we know about his release. Did the Argos weigh the option of putting him on the IR or PR or was it just an outright decision to release?

paulwoods13
09-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Crapigna is on Calgary's practice roster, so if the Argos want him they just have to make a call. If Calgary doesn't want to let him go then they can add him to their 46-man roster.

No one has ever uncovered any evidence that Pfeffer was willing to go on the Argos' practice roster, but why would he when he had just received six game cheques and come to believe he was capable of playing in the CFL? So the Argos likely had two choices: roster him or release him.

R.J
09-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Crapigna is on Calgary's practice roster, so if the Argos want him they just have to make a call. If Calgary doesn't want to let him go then they can add him to their 46-man roster.

No one has ever uncovered any evidence that Pfeffer was willing to go on the Argos' practice roster, but why would he when he had just received six game cheques and come to believe he was capable of playing in the CFL? So the Argos likely had two choices: roster him or release him.
Placing him on the 1 or 6 game IR would've been another option, teams do "fake" injury reports quite often.

1971GreyCup
09-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Paul, we had dinner with Ronnie in Winnipeg the night before the Argos game and he told us that his best case scenario was to go on the practise roster with the Argos. I firmly believe he was released for salary purposes.

paulwoods13
09-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Placing him on the 1 or 6 game IR would've been another option, teams do "fake" injury reports quite often.

1. If the player agrees.

2. It the owner is willing to eat the cost.

Can anyone say they know this was the case for both of these variables?

paulwoods13
09-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Paul, we had dinner with Ronnie in Winnipeg the night before the Argos game and he told us that his best case scenario was to go on the practise roster with the Argos. I firmly believe he was released for salary purposes.

Pretty tough time to argue otherwise. If he really was willing to go on PR then it's even more of an indictment of our owner because he would have cost something like $750 a week.

1argoholic
09-16-2015, 06:16 PM
We'll end up with him and he'll play like CRAPigna in TO with the way this year is heading.

Argo57
09-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Pretty tough time to argue otherwise. If he really was willing to go on PR then it's even more of an indictment of our owner because he would have cost something like $750 a week.

Complete joke, Braley continues to screw this team, hopefully doesn't take too long to overcome his incompetence.

Argo
09-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Complete joke, Braley continues to screw this team, hopefully doesn't take too long to overcome his incompetence.

Look, ease up. Cut Braley some slack... we are talking about $ 750 a week for crying out loud.

R.J
09-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Look, ease up. Cut Braley some slack... we are talking about $ 750 a week for crying out loud.
If Pfeffer was let go because of $750 a week, there's some serious problems in Argoland.

R.J
09-16-2015, 06:59 PM
According to Terry Koshan of the Sun, Waters injured his groin again.

1argoholic
09-16-2015, 07:00 PM
At least I think they have toilet paper in the locker room which is more then when Harry Ornest owned the team. WOW have we seen some total jackwagons owning this team.

1971GreyCup
09-16-2015, 09:16 PM
1. If the player agrees.

2. It the owner is willing to eat the cost.

Can anyone say they know this was the case for both of these variables?

Can't speak for the owner, but the anecdotal evidence is clear that the funding has been shut off for 2015. Ronnie sent packing. DC is here for the duration. Mitchell Gale cut, dress an injured Ricky Ray. No injury replacements.

Pretty clear cut to me.

Argocister
09-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Soooo .... Crapigna has to be on the active roster now ... right?

AngeloV
09-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Can't speak for the owner, but the anecdotal evidence is clear that the funding has been shut off for 2015. Ronnie sent packing. DC is here for the duration. Mitchell Gale cut, dress an injured Ricky Ray. No injury replacements.

Pretty clear cut to me.

It's clear to everyone except for the 1 or 2 Braley apologists.

R.J
09-16-2015, 10:34 PM
It's clear to everyone except for the 1 or 2 Braley apologists.
I was holding out hope that Bell and Tanenbaum would at least put in money for this season, but seeing the way this thing is going, the hope died long ago.

ArgoRavi
09-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Don't fret, folks. Pfeffer might be on the bubble in Ottawa (thus available to come back to Toronto) as his punting has been subpar and Brett Maher may be ready to return: http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/09/16/ottawa-redblacks-eye-familiar-foot

Mookie Fan
09-17-2015, 01:34 AM

Pretty clear cut to me.

That's a very good summary of the events that have transpired.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors, and many things we don't know about the team's situation as fans, but it does look like there is an attempt to save money on salaries. Milanovich does have a lot of class and may not be giving the public the real reason(s) for the recent personnel decisions. He said publicly that he "trusts McPherson" around the time Mitchell Gale was released. It sounds like Milanovich was being a bit of a politican. He also said he would have loved to keep Pfeffer around, but to paraphrase what he said, that injuries meant there was no roster spot available for him. That isn't convincing, as there are many healthy, good NFL cuts Barker could have brought in.

I find one thing very strange. At both Argo home games this year, there have been many fireworks during the player introductions and after touchdowns. I believe over the past few years, the Argos have had few fireworks or even none at times. Even the Blue Jays, with their rich owner, have not had fireworks for many years. They have that horn instead. We'll see if they have fireworks for the MLB playoffs if they make the playoffs.

During the home game versus Ottawa, there were fireworks after every player who was introuced was announced. During the game at home against Hamilton, there were fireworks after some of the players that were introduced, if not due to cost then perhaps because the roof was closed (unlike during the Ottawa game) and the large amount of smoke therefore could not leave the stadium as quickly. Both games had fireworks after every Argo touchdown if I recall correctly.

Who is paying for the fireworks at Argo games? David Braley? The incoming new owners? Surely not Rogers, as they don't own the team and don't even pay for fireworks during Toronto Blue Jays games (a team that they own). I doubt that there is anything in the lease agreement between Rogers and the team that stipulates that Rogers will pay for fireworks at Argo games. It is a bit puzzling that the team is trying to cut costs in so many ways, yet still looks to have decided to pay for fireworks at Argo games. Not that I'm complaining, as I was pleasantly surprised by the large number of fireworks employed at both games.

Don't fret, folks. Pfeffer might be on the bubble in Ottawa (thus available to come back to Toronto) as his punting has been subpar and Brett Maher may be ready to return: http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/09/16/ottawa-redblacks-eye-familiar-foot

Interesting ArgoRavi. I don't remember how good Pfeffer's punting was in every game he played for the Argos, but I do remember at least one game where he punted very well, with an average near or above 50 yards per punt and lots of hang time.

gilthethrill
09-17-2015, 06:28 AM

I really can't see Ottawa letting Ronnie go possibly allowing to to come back and solve the Argos kicking woes, especially when Ottawa faces us back to back. They will IR him. Their owner spends money on the team.

AngeloV
09-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Interesting ArgoRavi. I don't remember how good Pfeffer's punting was in every game he played for the Argos, but I do remember at least one game where he punted very well, with an average near or above 50 yards per punt and lots of hang time.

He did a good job, but the one game I remember was the Aug 3 game in Hamilton. That really was a pressure test for him due to the Banks factor, and he failed miserably in that game. His first punt was right down the middle and Banks made a 27 yard return our of it. After that he tried to place the ball closer to the sidelines, and he shanked pretty well every punt. I've said it before that having a booming leg does not automatically translate into being a good punter. You need to give your coverage team a chance to properly cover the punts either by getting a lot of hang time, or directionally punting between the numbers and the sidelines. Pfeffer has a long way to go there, and that is why I was surprised that Ottawa signed him to be their punter. Place kicker would have made more sense, but honestly, Milo has been very good for them.

1971GreyCup
09-17-2015, 12:29 PM
He did a good job, but the one game I remember was the Aug 3 game in Hamilton. That really was a pressure test for him due to the Banks factor, and he failed miserably in that game. His first punt was right down the middle and Banks made a 27 yard return our of it. After that he tried to place the ball closer to the sidelines, and he shanked pretty well every punt. I've said it before that having a booming leg does not automatically translate into being a good punter. You need to give your coverage team a chance to properly cover the punts either by getting a lot of hang time, or directionally punting between the numbers and the sidelines. Pfeffer has a long way to go there, and that is why I was surprised that Ottawa signed him to be their punter. Place kicker would have made more sense, but honestly, Milo has been very good for them.

Don't get me wrong. I am not looking to replace Swayze Waters with Pfeffer. But I would have liked to have hi around for emergencies. I guess the ultimate indignity would be that the Argos name Stala as their interim kicker. Nothing will surprise me his season! Either that, or Jim Barker and Coach Milanovch pass around the hat!

AngeloV
09-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Don't get me wrong. I am not looking to replace Swayze Waters with Pfeffer. But I would have liked to have hi around for emergencies. I guess the ultimate indignity would be that the Argos name Stala as their interim kicker. Nothing will surprise me his season! Either that, or Jim Barker and Coach Milanovch pass around the hat!

LOL...Braley would love that. 2 positions..1 salary.

doubleblue
09-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Hank Ilesic looked to be in pretty good shape the last time I saw him. lol

1argoholic
09-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Where's Giancola?

Neely2005
09-18-2015, 11:45 AM
If Pfeffer was let go because of $750 a week, there's some serious problems in Argoland.

Lol, even if he wasn't there are serious problems!
:-)

R.J
09-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Maher and Milo get the starts this week. Even though I find it unlikely, I'm hoping that the Argonauts can find a way to bring Pfeffer back and keep him.

Argo
09-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Maher and Milo get the starts this week. Even though I find it unlikely, I'm hoping that the Argonauts can find a way to bring Pfeffer back and keep him.

The Pfeffer Factor is a classic problem ripe for a gentlemens' agreement: Pfeffer now, draft pick later, or similar.

Argo57
09-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Where's Giancola?

Fortino's putting away the peppers.

ArgoRavi
09-19-2015, 04:04 PM
There is a footnote to the Crapigna story that I wanted to mention. I always thought that if Team A (the Argos, in this case) put in a claim on a player on Team B's (Stampeders) practice roster, that Team B had to let that player go OR activate the player for the next game. That isn't what happened here. According to Drew Edwards on Twitter, Calgary activated Crapigna for one day - well before the B.C. game - and then moved him to the one game injured list. Again, I didn't think that was allowed but I guess that it is which means that players on the PR aren't quite as free to move as I believed to be the case.

argolio
09-19-2015, 05:10 PM
That's a dumb loophole. Teams should be required to put a claimed player on their active 44 for a certain period of time (three games?).

Argo
09-19-2015, 10:12 PM
According to Drew Edwards on Twitter, Calgary activated Crapigna for one day - well before the B.C. game - and then moved him to the one game injured list.

Bush league.

Argocister
09-20-2015, 12:05 AM
And Pfeffer is on the RedBlacks 6 game ..... Yuk! ...... Barker you are losing the Kicker battle!

AngeloV
09-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Again, none of us know what Barker can and can't do concerning contracts for 2015. I think we need to see if these situations change next year before we start pointing fingers at him or Milanovich.

Argocister
09-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Again, none of us know what Barker can and can't do concerning contracts for 2015. I think we need to see if these situations change next year before we start pointing fingers at him or Milanovich.

Wasn't actually laying blame ..... Just making a fact type statement as I would assume it lies on the GMs shoulders what players are brought in ..... And I realize the budget till Xmas has probably been reduced. But that's 2 kickers that are being hoarded on teams injured lists not because the teams need them ..... More to keep them away from Barkers hands...... Nasty RedBlacks and stamps

1971GreyCup
09-20-2015, 08:18 AM
BTW, I don't think Calgary and Toronto have done a transaction since Jim Barker poached Chris Jones. No favours coming from the Stamps.

1971GreyCup
09-20-2015, 08:31 AM
This is the quietest I can recall in Argosland after the NFL cuts deadline. Experienced CFL players to be had, too.

I find it hard to take if Braley has abandoned to the team in mid season. With all the other events imposed on this team, for him to go AWOL is unconscionable! And to think he resides in the Hall of Fame as a "builder" is truly baffling.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8