PDA

View Full Version : Jalil Carter signing with Hamilton

Will
09-29-2015, 10:14 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As first reported by <a href="https://twitter.com/SUNMitchell">@SUNMitchell</a>, hearing the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ticats?src=hash">#Ticats</a> will sign former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> DB Jalil Carter. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Drew Edwards (@scratchingpost) <a href="https://twitter.com/scratchingpost/status/648830099547160576">September 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Either Barker and Milanovich are somehow content with the halfbacks the Argos are currently employing or their truly is no budget for significant player additions in the dying days of the Braley era.

ArgoGabe22
09-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Evan McCollough 2.0

gilthethrill
09-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Good for him....guess he is unaware Collaros is done for the year. Hope is playoff $$ is one game only.

R.J
09-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Either Barker and Milanovich are somehow content with the halfbacks the Argos are currently employing or their truly is no budget for significant player additions in the dying days of the Braley era.
Even though the former wouldn't surprise me at all, I'd have to go with the latter.

AngeloV
09-29-2015, 11:33 AM
I never liked him anyway.

:D

paulwoods13
09-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I think there is some overblowing of how good Carter is. He was a backup in 2012 who played in Grey Cup because of an injury. I'm pretty sure he was not an all-star in 2013 or 2014. Solid player but no superstar, at least not to this point. IMO DB has been a bigger area of need for Hamilton than for us, despite how well their D is playing. They also signed Donald Washington after we let him go.

Will
09-29-2015, 12:54 PM
You don't think that Carter would have been an upgrade on someone like Hawkins?

R.J
09-29-2015, 05:08 PM
You don't think that Carter would have been an upgrade on someone like Hawkins?
I tend to agree. Carter IMO would have been an upgrade over Hawkins, Devin Smith and Owusu-Ansah.

paulwoods13
09-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Maybe, maybe not. That's my point. He's not a superstar and was not particularly memorable in 2013 and 2014. I think the three guys listed above all have potential to be at least as good as Carter will ever be, and in particular I think ceiling is higher for Owusu-Ansah and Hawkins.

ArgoRavi
09-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Maybe, maybe not. That's my point. He's not a superstar and was not particularly memorable in 2013 and 2014. I think the three guys listed above all have potential to be at least as good as Carter will ever be, and in particular I think ceiling is higher for Owusu-Ansah and Hawkins.

I totally agree with you, Paul. People on here weren't exactly raving about the secondary the last two years with Carter being a key part of that group. I think that he is a good DB but the guys the Argos currently have may be players who they think more highly of.

AngeloV
09-29-2015, 08:27 PM
I tend to agree. Carter IMO would have been an upgrade over Hawkins, Devin Smith and Owusu-Ansah.

Hawkins and Smith maybe, but not Owusu-Ansah.

Mookie Fan
09-29-2015, 09:35 PM
The key with Jalil Carter is which position he played. He started at CB in the 2012 Grey Cup and played flawlessly, with no experience at all. That's very impressive. He was then switched to HB in 2013, and struggled at that position all year. He was then switched back to his natural position in 2014, CB, and was very solid that year until he was injured in the second half of the year. He may have been available for the playoffs, but the team didn't make it that far. That said, Jalil Carter probably would have been an all star in 2014 if he hadn't gotten hurt. Then he left to try to make the NFL.

Jalil Carter is a hard-hitting player with great speed. He was one of the two fastest players on the Argos at one time, along with Spencer Watt. At 6'1, 205, he is also a pretty good size for a CFL CB. I'm disappointed to see him sign in Hamilton, but I don't think we had a glaring need at CB, and I wouldn't want him playing HB. I don't think our current personnel in the secondary is bad at all. I think the problem has been that our secondary has been playing too much soft zone coverage, and not enough press man coverage.

We also have no idea how healthy Jalil Carter is, as players returning from the NFL aren't always the same. Sometimes they are the same or have improved, but often they are injured or have put on weight and are slower. Carter is only 26 I believe, but some players' performance declines at a younger age than others. I imagine Jalil Carter has quite a bit of football left in him, but Evan McCollough was one of the best HBs in the CFL, and then was out of the league by age 27.

Also, people have suggested that Marcus Ball would be a big signing and could help give us another great option at LB, and he potentially could, but that's if he is the same player that he was in 2012 and 2013.

jerrym
09-29-2015, 10:54 PM
IMO, Carter was a bubble player in 2012, who improved in a major way as he gained experience in 2013. He became reasonably reliable but not all-star calibre. However, considering our defence this year, he would have been an upgrade on a rather weak secondary.

KCargosfan
09-30-2015, 12:59 AM
Anyone know why McCullough fell off the map so quickly? I mean, if memory serves correct, Hamilton gave him a big signing bonus and contract, he played with them for one year (somewhat poorly I think), then the next year got cut in training camp? What happened? Did his game just collapse all of a sudden?

paulwoods13
09-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Also, people have suggested that Marcus Ball would be a big signing and could help give us another great option at LB, and he potentially could, but that's if he is the same player that he was in 2012 and 2013.

Ball has re-signed with Carolina so that ship has likely sailed for this season.

R.J
09-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Hawkins and Smith maybe, but not Owusu-Ansah.
Hawkins and Smith for sure IMO, Hawkins gets beat way too often and Smith seems lost out there. I'm not crazy about Owusu-Ansah, his game is all about positioning, not quick enough from what I've seen and doesn't seem to know where he's supposed to be at times.

Sucks that Ball, Carter and Muamba aren't coming here, we could have used them.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8