PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Coombs

Wobbler
10-08-2015, 03:24 AM
Around this time last year, I claimed (in a post where I praised Devon Bailey) that "Coombs will need to develop rather well in order to justify our draft selection". That process is still ongoing, obviously, but he really *is* developing well despite being thrown into the complex SB/RB role ahead of schedule. AC has been smart, has shown real skill as a receiver, and has exceeded my expectations. I look forward to watching him become a major part of our offense, and I was wrong to doubt his potential. I don't think he'll be as dangerous in open space as Durie, but maybe I'll need to eat those words too.

Argocister
10-08-2015, 06:53 AM
?..."..........I don't think he'll be as dangerous in open space as Durie, but maybe I'll need to eat those words too.

Yes let's hope you do !
I'm liking Coombs play as well, and like that he is getting the chance to play and develop.

AngeloV
10-08-2015, 09:07 AM
I was just in amazement at some of the things that were being said about Coombs on here earlier this year. Things like "he's running like he's scared" popped up quite a bit. People seem to forget that this is basically his rookie season, and he's still learning a new position. Andre Durie didn't exactly gel right away when they moved him.

I guess fan forums is not a place to find patience.

OV Argo
10-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Coombs is not a Durie level talent IMO, but still a quality player who can play slot and RB too if needed; he can do the job in the Durie hybrid slot/RB role - looking forward to seeing way more of him in the Argo offence and him progressing there = good draft pick.

AngeloV
10-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Coombs is not a Durie level talent IMO, but still a quality player who can play slot and RB too if needed; he can do the job in the Durie hybrid slot/RB role - looking forward to seeing way more of him in the Argo offence and him progressing there = good draft pick.

Maybe not, but I can tell you that he has much better hands than Durie, and will be able to be used slightly differently in the passing game. He can't break arm tackles like Durie, but is great at making the first man miss.

gilthethrill
10-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Speaking of Durie, does anyone here expect him to be in an Argo uniform in 2016?

AngeloV
10-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Speaking of Durie, does anyone here expect him to be in an Argo uniform in 2016?

I honestly do. He's an important part of the team not only on the field, but off. I think the off field stuff tends to get overlooked, but to me it's very important. Probably the #1 reason I was so pissed when some on here were so down on Owens.

1argoholic
10-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Coombs has looked pretty good in my eyes. Sometimes I wonder if people are watching the same games as me.

Will
10-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Coombs did have a rough first game against Calgary back in July. I think he falls prey to the same thing as Chad Owens and that is Trevor Harris has simply developed better chemistry with Elliott, Hazelton and Gurley.

AngeloV
10-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Coombs did have a rough first game against Calgary back in July.

That is my point. Making a judgement after 1 game for a guy that lost his rookie season to injury is rather unfair.

argos1873
10-10-2015, 12:09 AM
What is this RB/SB role that Durie/Coombs play. I can't remember the last time I've seen Durie or Coombs actually lining up as RB.

paulwoods13
10-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Coombs has lined up in the backfield a few times in recent weeks, and actually had a carry a game or two ago. But the Argos run that formation much less than they used to when Durie was in the lineup.

Will
10-10-2015, 11:34 AM
What is this RB/SB role that Durie/Coombs play. I can't remember the last time I've seen Durie or Coombs actually lining up as RB.

It is similar to how the Argos would have used Pinball back in the day.

OV Argo
10-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Durie was superb at YAC yards - so hard to tackle. And the offence with him & Owens in the line-up was heavily skewed to the short dump passes to those 2 - and with a QB in Ray who has great vision and reads ability.

Now with the 3 new import receivers + Harris at QB, they are more the focus and it's a bit more downfield passes and throws to the wide-outs.

A real smart offence would combine all sorts of different looks, formations and play-calling and spread the ball around to all the weapons; there is no reason Coombs could not be line-up more often now with some of those Durie type plays at which he IMO has the skill set for (just not quite the YAC yards ability); just like there is no reason the offence could not feature more run game & balance or giving the ball to the H-back for decent gains they always seem to get at maybe one play a game if even. BUT - most CFL offences are not built on diversity and smarts or balance but rather on executing basic , simple bread & butter play-book. And this offence with Harris and the new receivers is doing OK to very good at that at times.

AngeloV
10-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Durie was superb at YAC yards - so hard to tackle. And the offence with him & Owens in the line-up was heavily skewed to the short dump passes to those 2 - and with a QB in Ray who has great vision and reads ability.

Now with the 3 new import receivers + Harris at QB, they are more the focus and it's a bit more downfield passes and throws to the wide-outs.

A real smart offence would combine all sorts of different looks, formations and play-calling and spread the ball around to all the weapons; there is no reason Coombs could not be line-up more often now with some of those Durie type plays at which he IMO has the skill set for (just not quite the YAC yards ability); just like there is no reason the offence could not feature more run game & balance or giving the ball to the H-back for decent gains they always seem to get at maybe one play a game if even. BUT - most CFL offences are not built on diversity and smarts or balance but rather on executing basic , simple bread & butter play-book. And this offence with Harris and the new receivers is doing OK to very good at that at times.

Argos have 4 guys in their line-up with over 500 yards from scrimmage, and it would be 5 if Owens didn't miss any games. Coombs is coming into his own as well nearing 400. I don't know how much more balanced you want, other than the obvious more running of the ball. The Argos success on O comes from the fact that they are likely the best in the league at spreading the ball to all of their weapons.

Will
10-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Yeah, if one thing we cannot complain about the Argos passing attack this year it is that they don't spread the ball around enough. Selecting Argo receivers in TSN Fantasy Football has been extremely difficult this year because you don't know who will happen to have the better game. I'm not even sure if this offense will feature a 1,000-yard receiver this year.

jerrym
10-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Maybe not, but I can tell you that he has much better hands than Durie, and will be able to be used slightly differently in the passing game. He can't break arm tackles like Durie, but is great at making the first man miss.

I've been excited about Coombs even before the draft and agree with your assessment.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8