PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Harris Highest Paid QB in 2016?

ArgoGabe22
10-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Frank Z is reporting Harris' reps are asking for him to be the highest paid QB. Is it just apart of the negotiation process? Is this is sign that he may be seriously thinking about testing free agency? I don't even know if Frank's source is even in the ballpark here.

paulwoods13
10-15-2015, 06:53 PM
I pass no judgment on whether FZ has a legitimate source or sources for this, but if you were TH's agent, would you find some value in planting a scary salary demand in the press? I would. Agents do this all the time.

Argo57
10-15-2015, 07:21 PM
I pass no judgment on whether FZ has a legitimate source or sources for this, but if you were TH's agent, would you find some value in planting a scary salary demand in the press? I would. Agents do this all the time.

Harris is in a good situation, knowing the Argos have virtually no experienced options (if Ray leaves or retires), ask for the moon and settle for something less.

ArgoRavi
10-15-2015, 08:38 PM
I am pretty confident that Harris will get a nice new contract with the Argos after this season is over. I don't see it being as the highest paid player in the league unless he wins the Grey Cup this year and even then I doubt he would get that kind of coin. Something in the $300k to $350k range may be doable though. Anyway, this is only the start of negotiations.

argotom
10-15-2015, 10:36 PM
It's all part of Negotiations 101, you have an agent float figures out to the media at the max level and down the road this may be the starting point.
Harris will get good money from the team likely around the $300k-$350k range.

Invader
10-16-2015, 09:23 AM
The Bombers Drew Willy made similar demands last off-season, wanting to be the highest paid QB. He reportedly ended up with one more season at the $250k level with $400k for next season. While Harris has played great this season he doesn't have the track record yet to show he isn't a "flash-in-the-pan" who could suffer through a sophomore jinx next season. Similar to some of the above posters, I'd peg Harris' value topping out at about $350k. Perhaps he should sign a short-term contract and if he proves to be the best QB in the league next year, he'll receive a commensurate salary.

Will
10-16-2015, 09:36 AM
As argotom says, it's part of the negotiating process. One good season doesn't = $450,000 contract.

1argoholic
10-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Let's worry about winning four more away games before the playoffs start before we worry about qb for next year.

argonaut11xx
10-16-2015, 03:30 PM
If Trevor wins the Argo's a Grey Cup this year...write him the cheque

R.J
10-16-2015, 04:13 PM
If Harris honestly wants to be paid as the best QB in the League, how about he actually show that he is first, if not dump him and keep Ray.

Argo
10-16-2015, 06:33 PM
If Harris honestly wants to be paid as the best QB in the League, how about he actually show that he is first, if not dump him and keep Ray.

I repeat: there is no way (unless Harris is seriously injured) that the Argos let Harris go in favour of Ray. JB and SM are not idiots.

R.J
10-16-2015, 10:57 PM
I repeat: there is no way (unless Harris is seriously injured) that the Argos let Harris go in favour of Ray. JB and SM are not idiots.

You are talking about the same guys that let Collaros go right ?

argos1873
10-16-2015, 11:16 PM

Yes but they let Collaros go with both Ray and Harris in the wings. You let Harris go, you only have an older and more injured Ray left. Sorry, its not going to happen that way this time.

paulwoods13
10-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Yes but they let Collaros go with both Ray and Harris in the wings. You let Harris go, you only have an older and more injured Ray left. Sorry, its not going to happen that way this time.

Almost accurate but not quite. They let Collaros go not with Ray "in the wings," but on the first all-star team after having had unprecedented success.

1971GreyCup
10-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Coach Milanovich is clear on who his quarterback is now. Harris needs to have bad games before he turns to HOF QB Ray. IMO it is clear who gets the big contract next year.

Argo57
10-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Collaros wanted to leave and start, Argos wanted to keep him but had no financial room for him, I'm confused, in your previous post you advocate letting Harris walk if he wants to be the highest paid QB and go back to Ray??
I guess then we'd be talking about the "same guys who let Harris go"??

1argoholic
10-17-2015, 05:31 PM
He might get cut after the first half he's had today.

argonaut11xx
10-17-2015, 05:48 PM
He might get cut after the first half he's had today.

I like the kid, and your right that he is sucking the hind tit in todays game, but i think in the long term that Trevor Harris is worth keeping.

1argoholic
10-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Once again, hahaha.

R.J
10-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Collaros wanted to leave and start, Argos wanted to keep him but had no financial room for him, I'm confused, in your previous post you advocate letting Harris walk if he wants to be the highest paid QB and go back to Ray??
I guess then we'd be talking about the "same guys who let Harris go"??
Actually Collaros just wanted to start, if the Argos brass wanted to keep him as the starter he would have stayed.
What I stated in terms of Harris was that if he wants to be paid like the best QB in the League he'd better start playing like it, because if he's not I'd let him walk (I'd rather see good money spent wisely), I honestly don't think Harris is that great, he's a good QB, but not in the same category as Ray, Collaros, or even Mitchell at this point. I also stated earlier in the year, that to me it doesn't matter one way or the other who the Argonauts keep, however if the team keeps Ray they'd better hope that either Kilgore or some other young kid can be "the guy" within a couple of years. I'd have zero issue if the Argonauts let Harris go, even with Ray's injury issues as of late, Harris needs Brady to call a perfect game and his receivers to make big plays for him in order to look good, guys like Ray and Collaros make their teammates better.

AngeloV
10-17-2015, 11:37 PM
The thing is, we have no idea how true this FrankZ report is. I think I'll just sit back and wait and see exactly what happens. I'm sure the Argos will sign him, and it will not be north of 400k.

R.J
10-18-2015, 01:00 AM
The thing is, we have no idea how true this FrankZ report is. I think I'll just sit back and wait and see exactly what happens. I'm sure the Argos will sign him, and it will not be north of 400k.
I hope so, $350k including incentives is the max I'd go. No way would I pay Harris more than Ray, Collaros, Burris, and Lulay at least not at this point.
It should also be noted even if Harris did get $450k, it wouldn't make him the highest paid QB, Durant's deal is supposedly worth around half a million and Burris and Lulay's deals are reportedly in the $465k range including incentives, although Burris' deal was restructured for this season and next IIRC. Ray was supposedly around $405k (or $415k) to half a mill as well, come to think of it the CFL doesn't officially release any of these numbers, they're just twitter "reports".

Argo57
10-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Actually Collaros just wanted to start, if the Argos brass wanted to keep him as the starter he would have stayed.
What I stated in terms of Harris was that if he wants to be paid like the best QB in the League he'd better start playing like it, because if he's not I'd let him walk (I'd rather see good money spent wisely), I honestly don't think Harris is that great, he's a good QB, but not in the same category as Ray, Collaros, or even Mitchell at this point. I also stated earlier in the year, that to me it doesn't matter one way or the other who the Argonauts keep, however if the team keeps Ray they'd better hope that either Kilgore or some other young kid can be "the guy" within a couple of years. I'd have zero issue if the Argonauts let Harris go, even with Ray's injury issues as of late, Harris needs Brady to call a perfect game and his receivers to make big plays for him in order to look good, guys like Ray and Collaros make their teammates better.

That's my point, Ray was lights out in 2013, Barker and the Argos were in a no win situation with Collaros, couldn't dump the future HOF QB coming off a really good season and couldn't promise Collaros he'd be the man.
To be honest I wish they could have convinced Collaros to be patient as he would be the guy right now but so be it.
There are things I like about Harris and things he needs to work on, he competes hard and seems to bounce back from his mistakes but lately he seems to be making the same mistakes (poor reads and interceptions).
I have said all along I don't like his deep throws, most times the receivers have to adjust as the ball seems under thrown.
Even his slant routes (when not picked off) often don't hit the target in stride but the good outweighs the bad with him IMO.
This hopefully has been a good growth year for Harris and if he can make some improvements and adjustments to his game will be a pretty solid performer. Where would we be this season without him???

AngeloV
10-18-2015, 11:51 AM
I hope so, $350k including incentives is the max I'd go. No way would I pay Harris more than Ray, Collaros, Burris, and Lulay at least not at this point.
It should also be noted even if Harris did get $450k, it wouldn't make him the highest paid QB, Durant's deal is supposedly worth around half a million and Burris and Lulay's deals are reportedly in the $465k range including incentives, although Burris' deal was restructured for this season and next IIRC. Ray was supposedly around $405k (or $415k) to half a mill as well, come to think of it the CFL doesn't officially release any of these numbers, they're just twitter "reports".

No CFL QB is worthy of upper echelon pay after 1 season of starting. Collaros didn't get it, and even Bo Levi Mitchell is not getting that type of cash, and he led his team to a championship in his first season as starter. I suspect 350 will be the max he gets, and possibly even 300.

Bo Levi Mitchell was quoted as saying the below when he decided to extend through 2018 coming off a Grey Cup victory:
From the Calgary Sun March 3,2015

“The first thing I told them is, ‘I don’t want to be the top-paid guy in the league, I don’t want to be overpaid. I want a contract that teammates can look at me and look at my contract and respect it and say what he’s making is what he’s worth,’” Mitchell said Tuesday morning at McMahon Stadium, announcing the deal on his 25th birthday.

That is something that Harris' agent needs to read if what Frank Z reported is true.

Gill The Thrill
10-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Once he proves he can throw the ball on a rope between 2 defenders and hit his receivers on the numbers consistently then great, he could demand that, but as long as he stays dependent on Gurley, Hazelton and Elliot to get up over smaller DB's to get to his slow, lofted up Tanner Marsh like throws, then absolutely not. Forgot to even mention Chad Owens reaching to get to his inaccurate passes.

Wonder if there is any connection between this rumour by his agent and Harris' monstrously bad performance yesterday. I bet his agent also didn't win the lottery yesterday either.

tennyis
10-22-2015, 11:27 PM
The only way he will be making more money then every other QB in the CFL is if he tries his luck down south which I think is the most likely scenario.

AngeloV
10-23-2015, 12:57 AM
The only way he will be making more money then every other QB in the CFL is if he tries his luck down south which I think is the most likely scenario.

Ah...no. Sorry, NFL teams aren't knocking down the doors for 29 year old QB's that haven't spent regular time on an NFL roster.

Argo57
10-23-2015, 08:19 PM

Good luck with that scenario.

1argoholic
10-23-2015, 08:27 PM
The way Harris is playing he might find himself out of football.

tennyis
10-23-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm not saying he will have success, i'm saying Iwouldn't be surprised if he TRIED

Antwon
10-24-2015, 12:31 AM
My advice.....fire your agent and focus on winning games!!!!!

R.J
10-24-2015, 01:24 AM
I wonder if Harris and his agent still feel as if he should get top 9 money let alone being paid as the #1 in the CFL.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8