View Full Version : Just had a phone call from Rob our Argo ticket guy.

1argoholic
10-22-2015, 10:37 AM
So I used some fine language to address my frustrations followed by a laugh so he knew I wasn't pissed with him or the team. He said that it sounds like if the Jays get to the world series Oct 30th and Nov 6th would both be a no go at Rogers. If the Jays win tomorrow I'm sure they'll be hard to beat in a game 7. My post MLB prediction could be coming true. Tomorrow is obviously key.

Antwon
10-22-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm done with getting worked up about the Argos losing home dates. Yes I still hate Rogers!

Think about it. (this is based on what I've read and heard over the years)

C&S buy the team and start talking with soccer Canada about a joint stadium
C&S walk away from soccer Canada
C&S want to move to Varsity. NIMBY pressures U of T to say no.
C&S start talking with York U about a stadium
Talks progress with York
Paul Godfrey offers C&S a sweetheart deal to stay at the dome.
C&S with nudging from Braley take the short sighted deal.
Braley takes ownership and continues to take deals from Rogers which get worse.

The reality is what's happening this year could have been going on the last 10-15 years!!!!
If the jays had been making the post season and bumping Argo games back when C&S were looking at other options, it may have changed their decision.

The future will be 200% better at BMO Field. But I still can forgive C&S and their short sighted deal!
You can't say enough about the players, coaches, and all the team staff for getting through this in a professional manner!!

AngeloV
10-22-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm done with getting worked up about the Argos losing home dates. Yes I still hate Rogers!

Talks progress with York

The reality is what's happening this year could have been going on the last 10-15 years!!!!
If the jays had been making the post season and bumping Argo games back when C&S were looking at other options, it may have changed their decision.

The future will be 200% better at BMO Field. But I still can forgive C&S and their short sighted deal!
You can't say enough about the players, coaches, and all the team staff for getting through this in a professional manner!!

Great post...but I still reserve the right to rant from time to time. LOL

Rocket
10-22-2015, 04:16 PM

Talks progress with York

Yeah I could forgive c&s for their short sighted deal but I can never forgive a guy like Braley for encouraging c&s to do the deal with Rogers. Any advice taken from Braley has always put the cfl back just when you think the cfl moves a couple steps ahead big headed Braley always comes into the situation and screws everyone up.

argotom
10-22-2015, 04:21 PM

Just like your logo at bottom of each page, absolutely most of us here have to rant and show displeasure with Rogers and anyone connected to same.
In my own way, I have years ago divested from all Rogers products and this year during the playoffs made a pledge and so far have not and will not watch the Crap Jays.
As for my 2 cents on C & S, by the way they were blindsided by the City of Toronto and MLSE with the carpetbaggers known as Soccer Canada having no skin in the stadium game.

Rocket
10-22-2015, 04:24 PM
So I used some fine language to address my frustrations followed by a laugh so he knew I wasn't pissed with him or the team. He said that it sounds like if the Jays get to the world series Oct 30th and Nov 6th would both be a no go at Rogers. If the Jays win tomorrow I'm sure they'll be hard to beat in a game 7. My post MLB prediction could be coming true. Tomorrow is obviously key.

I do hope we get to see at least one more home game at skydome. As much as I hate the current ownership regime of this team I had many good memories of going to Argo games at skydome. I would also like to have some kind of protest to the scum bag Rogers at that game as well and expose those greedy pieces of crap.

AngeloV
10-22-2015, 04:25 PM
I don't know why C&S are getting such a pass. They knew what they were doing and IMO never intended to put any of their own money into the Argos or a stadium. All they did was paper the house to create a false impression that they were doing a great job. I'm sure they were hoping that people in power would get an all warm and fuzzy feeling and give them money. IMO, their BS act is not better than what Braley has done.

argotom
10-22-2015, 04:49 PM
I do hope we get to see at least one more home game at skydome. As much as I hate the current ownership regime of this team I had many good memories of going to Argo games at skydome. I would also like to have some kind of protest to the scum bag Rogers at that game as well and expose those greedy pieces of crap.

Ok why don't we organize something?

Rocket
10-22-2015, 05:05 PM
I don't know why C&S are getting such a pass. They knew what they were doing and IMO never intended to put any of their own money into the Argos or a stadium. All they did was paper the house to create a false impression that they were doing a great job. I'm sure they were hoping that people in power would get an all warm and fuzzy feeling and give them money. IMO, their BS act is not better than what Braley has done.

It's simple going to Argo games was so entertaining when c&s owned the team not to many times did I think we needed a new stadium when they were running things. Going to Argo games at skydome with over 30,000 fans with even having fans sit up in the 500 level seats with the other seats being covered by great looking Argo banners was great. Always my favorite summer activity was going to Argo games with the roof open with that type of athomsphere. Unlike these days going to Argo games with Braley owning them just Sucks period!

Gill The Thrill
10-22-2015, 05:20 PM
It's simple going to Argo games was so entertaining when c&s owned the team not to many times did I think we needed a new stadium when they were running things. Going to Argo games at skydome with over 30,000 fans with even having fans sit up in the 500 level seats with the other seats being covered by great looking Argo banners was great. Always my favorite summer activity was going to Argo games with the roof open with that type of athomsphere. Unlike these days going to Argo games with Braley owning them just Sucks period!

Hmmm...this message is brought to us by the PR department for C&S, maybe even Rogers corp.

For a guy who pisses on other posters and says going to BMO will be a tough sell on fans, I really don't know what else to think of your post. Yah, it was ok with C&S (at least in attendance and appearance), but in the end Angelo is right, they're false promises to Argo fans were more for show, pomp and ceremony than any true committment. I wrote about that when they cancelled all set plans for a partnership with York and decided to renew at Rogers. Damn right, they are about as responsible as anybody was for the Argos predicament this season. Braley is obviously no Mr.Popularity and never looked for the limelight, unlike these clowns, whom had Braley cover their expenses to even pay players.

Yet, you praise these non-commital local owners and crap on the Argos today, especially Rudge and Braley...I just find it odd, and am curious as to what your personal or professional relationship is to all involved in these conversations.

T-Bone
10-22-2015, 05:29 PM
As for my 2 cents on C & S, by the way they were blindsided by the City of Toronto and MLSE with the carpetbaggers known as Soccer Canada having no skin in the stadium game.
That's revisionist history agolio.

Argo
10-22-2015, 05:31 PM
I seem to recall grazing a headline just the other day that stated Rogers had an excellent fiscal year.

argonaut11xx
10-22-2015, 05:31 PM
C&S only had success when Pelley was running the show.

Hate to admit it, but the way they set up the Skydome with the big tarps of the all-time Argo's in the 500 endzones was way better than it is now.

paulwoods13
10-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Yeah, if only we still had the tarps. All was right in the world when we had those tarps.

R.J
10-22-2015, 05:40 PM
I really wish people would actually read Dick Peddie's book. C&S tried to get into BMO before it was built and even willing to put money in, they were sandbagged by Peddie and the City.

argonaut11xx
10-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Yeah, if only we still had the tarps. All was right in the world when we had those tarps.

So you actually think that the Skydome has a better feel with a bunch of empty seats, rather than the All Time Argo's covering them up? To each their own.

Scooter McCray
10-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Let's hope the new owners are in for the long term. And I don't mean 5 years. It will take 5 years just to stop the bleeding and rebuild a fan base that will keep coming out. After that breaking even is possible. After that profitability with the CFLs strongest franchise back in TO. 10 year plan if dome right every year building on the one before while having competitive teams on field.

paulwoods13
10-22-2015, 06:57 PM
So you actually think that the Skydome has a better feel with a bunch of empty seats, rather than the All Time Argo's covering them up? To each their own.

I actually think there are far more pressing concerns than how we decorate an unused level of a stadium we are being evicted from and may never set foot in again.

Argo57
10-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Let's hope the new owners are in for the long term. And I don't mean 5 years. It will take 5 years just to stop the bleeding and rebuild a fan base that will keep coming out. After that breaking even is possible. After that profitability with the CFLs strongest franchise back in TO. 10 year plan if dome right every year building on the one before while having competitive teams on field.

Exactly correct IMO, 30 years of neglect and decay will not be corrected with a simple change in venue.
Generations have been lost but there is hope.

1971GreyCup
10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
I seem to recall grazing a headline just the other day that stated Rogers had an excellent fiscal year.

I am in finance and can say that shareholders aren't enamoured with this company either. Share price has moved sideways for a decade as you can see.

AngeloV
10-22-2015, 10:04 PM

As the owner of the site, you should know better than to go off topic like that. Responding to a post from another thread in this one can easily be labeled as a weasel move.

C&S only had success when Pelley was running the show.

Hate to admit it, but the way they set up the Skydome with the big tarps of the all-time Argo's in the 500 endzones was way better than it is now.

And then Pelley went on to work for Rogers. A conspiracy theorist would say he was a plant to de-value the franchise on a go forward basis.

Antwon
10-22-2015, 10:41 PM

Dang one typo...can...should have been can't forgive C&S.!
But I do remember the dome being more exciting when they owned them with Pelley working for them.
And I forgot about Peddie's book saying how they screwed them!

D-Gap-Willie
10-22-2015, 11:31 PM
I really wish people would actually read Dick Peddie's book. C&S tried to get into BMO before it was built and even willing to put money in, they were sandbagged by Peddie and the City.
I have not read Peddie's book and do not intend to do so, but any assertion that C & S were going "to put money in" is pure flight of fancy, They never had any liquidity from which to put money into anything. From before day one, their cash money came from Braley.

Neely2005
10-23-2015, 08:14 AM
I am in finance and can say that shareholders aren't enamoured with this company either. Share price has moved sideways for a decade as you can see.

Has the share Split at all during that time?

It looks like it's been doing pretty well lately.

1971GreyCup
10-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Has the share Split at all during that time?

It looks like it's been doing pretty well lately.

Hasn't split shares in a decade. Most shareholders are pretty impatient with value creation. It has been doing well lately. Wo well, that it actually just exceeded the share price achieved around a decade ago. Most of that time, shareholders lived on the dividend and it was no comfort that their shares were underwater. BCE Inc., the company that owns Bell Canada has been a far better experience for owners. I am shedding no tears for Rogers.

Neely2005
10-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Hasn't split shares in a decade. Most shareholders are pretty impatient with value creation. It has been doing well lately. Wo well, that it actually just exceeded the share price achieved around a decade ago. Most of that time, shareholders lived on the dividend and it was no comfort that their shares were underwater. BCE Inc., the company that owns Bell Canada has been a far better experience for owners. I am shedding no tears for Rogers.

It split in 2007:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rogers-communications-plans-stock-split-raises-dividend/article20416164/?service=mobile

Will
10-23-2015, 09:27 AM

Argolio did not make the quoted post.

Would you be able to post the quotes from the book that deal with this topic?

T-Bone
10-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Argolio did not make the quoted post.
I'm aware of that. I was pointing it out to argolio as an example of what I feel is revisionist history which is what he accused me of doing on a regular basis.

I would like to see that as well.

argonaut11xx
10-23-2015, 10:18 AM
And then Pelley went on to work for Rogers. A conspiracy theorist would say he was a plant to de-value the franchise on a go forward basis.

Me thinks that Pelley is VERY good at whatever task he is handed, and his ONLY loyalty is to whom is paying his salary. Hence he did well with the Argo's, and pretty much every place else he has ever been. Currently the European Golf tour is getting more exposure that I have ever seen before (and thats Pelleys new gig)
I think that Pelley did well for the Argonauts, but grew out of the pay grade of an Argo president.

R.J
10-23-2015, 10:35 AM

I don't own the book, signed it out from the Library.
But hey, you know what instead of listening to the original interview that I posted when Peddie was on TSN drive and PTS and reading the book for yourself, it's better to just assume that what I've written is just hogwash, as that's what T-Bone has been doing for quite some time and to be honest I'm tired of having to continually repeat this information. Believe what you guys want or better yet read the book.

T-Bone
10-23-2015, 10:52 AM
But hey, you know what instead of listening to the original interview that I posted when Peddie was on TSN drive and PTS and reading the book for yourself, it's better to just assume that what I've written is just hogwash, as that's what T-Bone has been doing for quite some time and to be honest I'm tired of having to continually repeat this information. Believe what you guys want or better yet read the book.
It's not that I don't believe you but I think this is the first time I've heard of the book. Maybe I missed it before or forgotten but thanks for that info.

D-Gap-Willie
10-23-2015, 11:01 AM

Just to clear things up, you are talking about Richard Peddie, who was former CEO of Skydome, MLSE and the Raptors. He wrote an autobiographic book, and is now retired. I am not sure of how in depth his knowledge of the Argos would be.

Keith Pelley was President of the Argos when C & S "owned" them. Later had involvement with the Olympics, and then became CEO of Rogers Media. Now he heads up the European golf tour. He has never written a book, but I know he has detailed knowledge of the Argos during the time of C & S.

Try not to confuse the two of them.

R.J
10-23-2015, 11:02 AM
It's not that I don't believe you but I think this is the first time I've heard of the book. Maybe I missed it before but thanks for that info.
Sorry, I don't mean to get snappy about it, but I was the one who originally posted the link of Peddie admitting it on air, I'm currently searching through the forum to see if I can find it again. While the link most likely will no longer work, hopefully it was replied to by some of us discussing it. Hence my frustration with this, because I've already provided the proof.

Just to clear things up, you are talking about Richard Peddie, who was former CEO of Skydome, MLSE and the Raptors. He wrote an autobiographic book, and is now retired. I am not sure of how in depth his knowledge of the Argos would be.

Keith Pelley was President of the Argos when C & S "owned" them. Later had involvement with the Olympics, and then became CEO of Rogers Media. Now he heads up the European golf tour. He has never written a book, but I know he has detailed knowledge of the Argos during the time of C & S.

Try not to confuse the two of them.
Richard Peddie, former President and CEO or MLSE, yeah I know which one is which. Peddie has also admitted on air that he "could have got the Argonauts for free" on multiple occasions and how he was able to convince the Teachers Board at least on 2 occasions not to buy the Argonauts and that Tanenbaum has wanted to own the Argonauts for quite some time, because he likes owning things and believes in the community aspect of sports.

R.J
10-23-2015, 11:12 AM
http://media.cfldb.ca/audio/pts_2013-09-05-6-pm-richard-peddie.mp3

I honestly can't believe that the link still works.

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2436-Argos-at-BMO-Field&p=46676&viewfull=1#post46676

Scooter McCray
10-23-2015, 11:32 AM
It's disheartening that Peddle never wanted to buy the Argos. The team in their current state (neglected ) will lose 5 million per year. So only an owner prepared to rebuild take the short term loss and give this team the care it deserves will be successful. Short term short sighted won't cut it. Bell needs a strong Argos to keep CFL property relevant. Tannenbaum wants to see what football and the Argos mean in Toronto.

1argoholic
10-23-2015, 01:14 PM
All I can say is that the new owners better be working on an innovative, interesting, eye catching marketing plan now. A long term marketing vision that runs continuously throughout the year. The Argos have lacked in this department forever. Just moving will do little.

Scooter McCray
10-23-2015, 02:11 PM
All I can say is that the new owners better be working on an innovative, interesting, eye catching marketing plan now. A long term marketing vision that runs continuously throughout the year. The Argos have lacked in this department forever. Just moving will do little.

Agreed. Moving is now clearly pure necessity after this fiasco of a season. I had thought after the previous two seasons scheduling couldn't get worse. Boy was I wrong on that count. Rogers provided 10 days of availability for 8 games and they still screwed them out of October leaving them stranded. Can you imagine if they still had no practice facility. No players or coaches would be here anymore.

With Bell, Copeland from the CFL and Lastman and Tanenbaum I do think there will be business plans and financial plans drawn (are drawn up already). I am just impatient to see rubber hit the road. It will seem like light years to what we have been accustomed to over the last 5 years.

argolio
10-23-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm aware of that. I was pointing it out to argolio as an example of what I feel is revisionist history which is what he accused me of doing on a regular basis.Inserting my name into a response to someone else's post is a troll move, especially on a topic I have not commented about recently. Don't ever do it again.

ArgoRavi
10-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Agreed. Moving is now clearly pure necessity after this fiasco of a season. I had thought after the previous two seasons scheduling couldn't get worse. Boy was I wrong on that count. Rogers provided 10 days of availability for 8 games and they still screwed them out of October leaving them stranded. Can you imagine if they still had no practice facility. No players or coaches would be here anymore.

With Bell, Copeland from the CFL and Lastman and Tanenbaum I do think there will be business plans and financial plans drawn (are drawn up already). I am just impatient to see rubber hit the road. It will seem like light years to what we have been accustomed to over the last 5 years.

I wonder sometimes what some of the new International players must think of playing for the Argos this season. Three home games out of 16. If I were a Kevin Elliott or Tori Gurley, I might be wondering what the heck I have gotten myself into.

I am sure that we will see some top notch marketing of this team starting in January of 2016. I will be shocked if we see anything otherwise.

jerrym
10-23-2015, 08:33 PM
I wonder sometimes what some of the new International players must think of playing for the Argos this season. Three home games out of 16. If I were a Kevin Elliott or Tori Gurley, I might be wondering what the heck I have gotten myself into.

I am sure that we will see some top notch marketing of this team starting in January of 2016. I will be shocked if we see anything otherwise.

I wonder if some players will go into free agency deciding to go another team just to get off the merry-go-round, even though things are definitely looking better with the new ownership.

Gill The Thrill
10-28-2015, 12:39 PM
It's disheartening that Peddle never wanted to buy the Argos. The team in their current state (neglected ) will lose 5 million per year. So only an owner prepared to rebuild take the short term loss and give this team the care it deserves will be successful. Short term short sighted won't cut it. Bell needs a strong Argos to keep CFL property relevant. Tannenbaum wants to see what football and the Argos mean in Toronto.

No surprise, as Peddie was always a basketball business guy who was initially hired by the Raptors under then owner Allan Slaight. MLSE inherited this guy when the Toronto Maple Leafs bought the Raptors and the deed to ACC as it was being built. Peddie was fortunate that they did as the Raptors could not have survived nor completed the building of the ACC had the Maple Leafs not bought them and formed MLSE. Peddie, initially as Raptors Pres was always like the kid at the back of the class, always sticking his head in press conferences reminding the media and emphasizing that the ACC was not just the new home of the Leafs, but of the Raptors as well, even when questions posed were strictly about the Leafs. I found this weasal so annoying to listen to and was dissapointed when they put this goof in charge of MLSE. He never gave a crap about fans, instituting Premium seat licenses, and forcing longtime Leaf season ticket subscribers to purchase Raptor season tickets in order to maintain their seat allocation at the ACC.

Seeing that Argo TV ratings were stronger than Raptor TV ratings, he sure had motive to not want to prop up the Argo brand under the MLSE umbrella.

R.J
10-28-2015, 01:04 PM
I think the thing that everyone is overlooking is that Peddie admits to getting a call for Sokolowski and nixes any chance of the Argos getting into BMO before it was built.

Scooter McCray
10-28-2015, 01:19 PM
I think the thing that everyone is overlooking is that Peddie admits to getting a call for Sokolowski and nixes any chance of the Argos getting into BMO before it was built.

For a league and a team so many dismiss as irrelevant why is there such a hate on for the Argos and the CFL in this city? What did the Argos ever do to these people? Exist?

ArgoRavi
10-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Peddie also ran SkyDome in its first few years.

AngeloV
10-28-2015, 01:51 PM
For a league and a team so many dismiss as irrelevant why is there such a hate on for the Argos and the CFL in this city? What did the Argos ever do to these people? Exist?

People still believe that the Argos existence is what is stopping the NFL from coming here. Very stupidly IMO, as the NFL is so big, if they really wanted to be in Toronto, they would have been here already.

PullTogether73
10-28-2015, 02:40 PM
People still believe that the Argos existence is what is stopping the NFL from coming here. Very stupidly IMO, as the NFL is so big, if they really wanted to be in Toronto, they would have been here already.

But isn't the NFL on record as stating that they would not compete in a market with an existing CFL franchise? That they don't want to alienate football fans in that city (really, only Toronto) by potentially pushing that CFL team either out of market or causing them to fold?

I always thought that this was the reason that NFL in Toronto supporters want to see the Argonauts disappear.

AngeloV
10-28-2015, 03:03 PM
But isn't the NFL on record as stating that they would not compete in a market with an existing CFL franchise? That they don't want to alienate football fans in that city (really, only Toronto) by potentially pushing that CFL team either out of market or causing them to fold?

I always thought that this was the reason that NFL in Toronto supporters want to see the Argonauts disappear.

It might be a convenient excuse, but I don't believe that to really be the case. I just believe that in terms of concession sales, they already have this market. They already have a TV deal up here, and looking at MLB and NBA, the Toronto teams just don't generate much in terms of ratings south of the border, and let's be honest, it's TV that makes the NFL what it is. I just believe that they don't see much of an upside to coming here.

R.J
10-28-2015, 04:05 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone from the NFL has ever made that statement, actually they haven't even acknowledged it. Last thing I heard was Steve Simmons on TSN drive stating that he had a conversation with Jerry Jones who told him that "we're not looking at Toronto anymore", in large part due to failure and embarassment of the Bills in Toronto Series.

Argo57
10-28-2015, 08:29 PM
No surprise, as Peddie was always a basketball business guy who was initially hired by the Raptors under then owner Allan Slaight. MLSE inherited this guy when the Toronto Maple Leafs bought the Raptors and the deed to ACC as it was being built. Peddie was fortunate that they did as the Raptors could not have survived nor completed the building of the ACC had the Maple Leafs not bought them and formed MLSE. Peddie, initially as Raptors Pres was always like the kid at the back of the class, always sticking his head in press conferences reminding the media and emphasizing that the ACC was not just the new home of the Leafs, but of the Raptors as well, even when questions posed were strictly about the Leafs. I found this weasal so annoying to listen to and was dissapointed when they put this goof in charge of MLSE. He never gave a crap about fans, instituting Premium seat licenses, and forcing longtime Leaf season ticket subscribers to purchase Raptor season tickets in order to maintain their seat allocation at the ACC.

Seeing that Argo TV ratings were stronger than Raptor TV ratings, he sure had motive to not want to prop up the Argo brand under the MLSE umbrella.

DICK Peddie ran MLSE as a business and didn't give a shit about the fans, all about profit dollars to which he did a good job, hired cheap but unqualified hockey men such as John Ferguson Jr because he knew the stands would be full no matter how crap the on ice product is (by the way nothing has changed in that department).
As a fan I wouldn't want that arrogant prick within 10 miles of the Argonauts or the CFL.

argolio
10-28-2015, 11:59 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone from the NFL has ever made that statement, actually they haven't even acknowledged it. Last thing I heard was Steve Simmons on TSN drive stating that he had a conversation with Jerry Jones who told him that "we're not looking at Toronto anymore", in large part due to failure and embarassment of the Bills in Toronto Series.The NFL never publicly rules out a specific market. That's just smart business. But I think Toronto is about as far off the NFL radar as it has ever been.

D-Gap-Willie
10-30-2015, 05:40 AM

Can you supply a few more details about this knowledge, and the source of this information. I presume that you mean a "call" from Sokolowski, and not "for" Sokolowski - if so when and for what purpose ? I'm quite curious how this would have anything to do with nixing any chance of Argos at BMO. Yes, Peddie was at the time head of the MLSE (from 1998 to 2011) and ground was broken for BMO in 2006. and a long-time advocate of the NFL in Toronto, but you are describing a malicious act - love to know the details.

1argoholic
10-30-2015, 10:40 AM
There would be a team in England before TO. They keep playing games at Wembley. Wonder how the field is holding up as isn't that the field to be used at BMO?

The US hates having the Jays so I'm pretty sure fans don't want to be in Canada. How many more teams does this league want. There are already about 10 to 15 too many.

R.J
10-30-2015, 10:46 AM
The NFL never publicly rules out a specific market. That's just smart business. But I think Toronto is about as far off the NFL radar as it has ever been.
I was replying to this post.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8