PDA

View Full Version : Changing the football

shayman
10-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Here's an interesting video from Wired and Sports Illustrated on the future of the NFL game ball - can physics design a better football to improve the game? It suggests that a couple of small changes in the ball (weight, diameter) could make it into one you could throw 16 yards farther.

http://video.wired.com/watch/the-future-of-the-nfl-game-ball

It'd be fun if the CFL adopted this first. "OUR BALLS ARE FASTER".

Double Dare
10-28-2015, 02:05 PM
But then, where would it all stop (like golf ball technology). Just imagine a QB having to get used to a new, improved ball created every so often.

R.J
10-28-2015, 02:17 PM
Isn't it just simpler and cheaper to just deflate the footballs ?

Too soon ?

Gill The Thrill
10-29-2015, 12:16 AM
Really, is this news. Did you need a scientist or a mathematician to conclude that if you make a football smaller, whether through mass or diameter, you can throw it farther.

Didn't we all notice that as kids when we threw a peewee football compared to a regulation size ball.

Totally against changing the football. It would turn real football into Arena football. Many kickoffs in the NFL are already touchbacks. I'm sure if the football were smaller, guys would boot it out of the stadium. It would turn the game into a joke.

Argo57
10-29-2015, 06:51 AM
Really, is this news. Did you need a scientist or a mathematician to conclude that if you make a football smaller, whether through mass or diameter, you can throw it farther.

Didn't we all notice that as kids when we threw a peewee football compared to a regulation size ball.

Totally against changing the football. It would turn real football into Arena football. Many kickoffs in the NFL are already touchbacks. I'm sure if the football were smaller, guys would boot it out of the stadium. It would turn the game into a joke.

Agreed, leave it be.

Wobbler
10-29-2015, 12:04 PM
I've noticed that players sometimes drop the ball - I think adding a handle of some sort is long overdue. In addition a "Handle with care" warning label would help to remind everyone of the importance of the football in Football.

ArgoRavi
10-29-2015, 12:28 PM

I could throw a peewee football like Michael Bishop when I was a kid.

paulwoods13
10-29-2015, 01:06 PM
What is actually needed IMO is chip technology that allows for precise ball placement. On short-yardage plays it's impossible to know where the ball should be placed when it and the ball carrier's knee are under a pile of players. Chips could also be used to provide certainty on place-kicks that can't properly be judged whether inside or outside the goal posts because they soar above them. We've all seen plays where the kicker was sure a kick was good but it was ruled wide.

ArgoZ
10-29-2015, 10:23 PM
What is actually needed IMO is chip technology that allows for precise ball placement. On short-yardage plays it's impossible to know where the ball should be placed when it and the ball carrier's knee are under a pile of players. Chips could also be used to provide certainty on place-kicks that can't properly be judged whether inside or outside the goal posts because they soar above them. We've all seen plays where the kicker was sure a kick was good but it was ruled wide.

I've often thought of this tech for the goal line. Like some invisable/visible barrier to break with the ball. I have disagreed with many goal line calls over the years, especially the corner dive. The tech is there, but cost would probably involve the NFL trying it first.

1argoholic
10-30-2015, 10:42 AM
CFL is going with Nerf next year. haha.

Gill The Thrill
10-30-2015, 03:48 PM
I could throw a peewee football like Michael Bishop when I was a kid.

As a former president of the Michael Bishop fan club...not, I could assume that you were probably more accurate.

I've noticed that players sometimes drop the ball - I think adding a handle of some sort is long overdue. In addition a "Handle with care" warning label would help to remind everyone of the importance of the football in Football.

Nitroglycerin inside the footballs would really improve pass reception percentages and fan attentiveness. I think everybody in the stadium would know when passes are dropped or thrown incomplete, whether walking the concourse or waiting at concessions. It would definitely change the meaning of the term, an explosive offense.

SCTV fans may agree that this is an idea that would be perfectly legitimate for Big Jimmy Bob and Billy Soulhearock.

argonaut11xx
10-30-2015, 07:03 PM
NERF footballs....even with a beat up 50 yr old body....i can fire one of those like a bullet...

haha...

Go back to the J5V is my vote

Gill The Thrill
10-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Go back to the J5V is my voteSome things were just chubbier and stubbier in their day.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8