PDA

View Full Version : Your Very First Argo Game????....

argonaut11xx
03-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Do you remember your very first Argo game?

How old were you?
Who did you go with?
Who were the Argo's playing? What was the score?
Is that game part of the reason your an Argofan today?

argomANIA
03-09-2012, 08:57 AM
I was about 14 years old and used to babysit my cousin's kids. My cousin lived on campus at Erindale College. One day I took the kids out for a walk and we stumbled upon a football practice.
We had fun. The players would throw the ball around with the two boys. They made me take them everyday and we became regulars…we became fans. Then the following season Eric Tillman who was the GM at the time asked if I was going to the game. I told him that I’ve never been and had no one to take me. My family wasn’t into sports. Tillman and his wife offered to take me to the game. They picked me up at home. I got to sit in the press boxes and enjoy my first ever Toronto Argonauts game. We played the Eskimos and won 38-14. After the game Tillman took me down to the dressing room and I got to take a photo with every player. I was hooked. In 2000 I did a co-op placement with the Argos and received my first pair of season tickets as a thank you since they didn’t pay me. I’ve been a season ticket holder since.

Will
03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
This isn't the first game I attended, but it is the first game I remember was the game where the Argos were shutout by Calgary and it was the game where Rocket Ismail kicked the Calgary player. I also attended a game in 1994 where the Argos lost 52-3 to Calgary, and I remember a game from that season against Shreveport where the Argos lost on a lack second field goal. I attended one or two games a year until our family got season tickets in 2004.

Oh, the date of that game was September 13, 1992, score was 31-0 for Calgary!

Mulder
03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Do you remember your very first Argo game?

How old were you?
Who did you go with?
Who were the Argo's playing? What was the score?
Is that game part of the reason your an Argofan today?

To answer your following questions in order
October 20, 2006
I took my dad. I lived in Toronto and wanted him to come.
Vs Sask 13-9

I would say No. Not that game. I rarely watched the CFL before then but I wanted to goto one. As most people my age I figured "CFL is your dads game" so I brought my Dad. I bought the most expensive tickets via ticketmaster. Turns out the seats were not as great as thought, sure we were mid field. but last row of the 200 level and couldn't see the jumbotron. Just after half time someone came and told us we were in the wrong seats because someone else just showed up (we just went to the wrong side of the aisle I guess) Talk about showing up late.
It wasn't the game that intrigued me it was the friendless of the people around. I wanted to goto another one, read about how Toronto was in a fight for first with Montreal. But knew I couldn't make that game.
I ended up getting a call from Rob asking if I wanted to come to the playoff game. I said sure! Bought 2 tickets midfield 100 level. Took my best friend and had a blast.

That come from behind victory sealed if for me, come mid December I bought season tickets.

gilthethrill
03-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Yes I recall my first Argo game at age 16....1983 Eastern Final against Hamilton. Went with my highschool buddy Bubba. Argos defeat Hamilton in a thrilling game 41-36...I was an Argo fan since 1980 when I got a Terry Metcalfe jersey from the Sears catalogue for my birthday.

argonaut11xx
03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes I recall my first Argo game at age 16....1983 Eastern Final against Hamilton. Went with my highschool buddy Bubba. Argos defeat Hamilton in a thrilling game 41-36...I was an Argo fan since 1980 when I got a Terry Metcalfe jersey from the Sears catalogue for my birthday.

I remember LOTS of people in school wearing those Terry Metcalfe #21 jerseys.....i wonder if the high school, or college aged fans of today wear their Argo jerseys to school...

Will
03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I remember LOTS of people in school wearing those Terry Metcalfe #21 jerseys.....i wonder if the high school, or college aged fans of today wear their Argo jerseys to school...

I was the only person I remember at my high school to have ever worn an Argo jersey. I went to the University of Ottawa and there you saw fans of other teams wear their jerseys, but not the Argos.

gilthethrill
03-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Ya, they were those mesh ones...Tony Gabriel #77(also had that one) Peter Dala Riva #79, Warren Moon #1 were the ones I recall also being available. You don't see much of anything CFL in Sears anymore..or anywhere for that matter. Sad.

argonaut11xx
03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Ya, they were those mesh ones...Tony Gabriel #77(also had that one) Peter Dala Riva #79, Warren Moon #1 were the ones I recall also being available. You don't see much of anything CFL in Sears anymore..or anywhere for that matter. Sad.

Those mesh jerseys were awesome, wish i could find them today. I had an Ottawa #7(holloway, my fav player) and an Argo #79(corrigal) ,while my buddy had Hamilton #2(Clements)..another friend had a BC # 8(Tagge)..i remember that was one of the highlights of going to the CNE each summer, getting a new mesh jersey.

ArgoGabe22
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
2004 vs BC
I was 12 years old.
Went with my dad and brother who suggested we go.
Ever since then I got hooked to the CFL, tryed out in highschool for the team.
I actually became a Lions fan after that game and my jersey was a Dickenson jersey is still one of my favorites.
Got seasons a few years later just because we were'nt commited to going to every game but we did get indivdual tickets whenever we could.
I am no longer a Lions fan.

Argonut
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
My first ever game was in Hamilton. My Dad and his brothers brought me along on the road trip in my Great Uncle's Ford Falcon. It had plastic covered seats. The Argos won the game with Dave Raimey scoring two touchdowns. On the way back to Toronto, we stopped at this little restaurant for dinner, and a bus pulled up. The bus was the Argonauts bus. I got a chance to meet many of the players. I have never forgotten that.

1argoholic
03-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I still have the ticket stub in a scrap book tucked away in our antique chest that's full of cool CFL stuff. Many moons ago so it's difficult to remember exact years but it was late 60's or 70,71 time frame. My mom was the big CFL fan who took me. We saw Saskatchewan and I still remember four or five police officers carrying a very hammered guy down the covered scetion of CNE. The guy was going ape shite. Then some clown tossed a big empty booze bottle (now I know it was a 26er) from about 30 rows up and it just cleared the first row and hit the sidelines. I don't remember the actualy game. haha.
My mom grew up with a much older brother who took her to Bomber games. She got my dad into football and thankfully they moved to Toronto before I was born. They quickly became Argo fans. As I've mentioned before that my dad died on the Skywalk on Oct 20th 91 on the way to an Argo/Stamps game. Many CFL memories over the over 40 years of following it.

Argoholics
03-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Buddy, I forgot how similar our Argo beginnings were. My mom was the big football fanatic in our household too.

It was September 6th, 1971 against the Saskatchewan Roughriders. My mom took a 5yr old me and my 3yr old sister to the old mistake by the lake. Travelling from Richmond Hill, we took the TTC bus all the way to Eglinton, that was where the subway started.

She got us tickets in Section 4, the university section, hahaha, I've never forgotten. Everytime the Argos scored or had a big play, everyone would jump up and cheer, except for my sister because she was too small. When everyone sat down, she'd stand up to see what happened....

We were near the top of the section, I remember the people in the row passing a bottle to each other down the line, take a swig and pass it along stuff. I watched this go on and when the bottle got close to the guy sitting beside me, I held out my hand for my turn. My mom slapped the begeezers out of me for that....

There were drunks falling down all over the place. It was the best time. Starting in 1972, we shared a season ticket package with my aunt and uncle and cousins. Stayed that way until 1989, when I got my own seasons with some buddies. A year later in 90, we called ourselves the Argoholics and I have enjoyed some of the best times ever since then.

40 years of Argo football has brought me some of the closest friends I have on this earth and I am forever grateful for that....

backer@oldclarke
03-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I was 33 years old as far as I recall; Aug. 15th - 1989 at B.C. Place and the score was 16-11 for the Lions.

Oarsman
03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
My fisrt game was at Varsity Stadium where the Toronto Argonauts hosted the Edmonton Eskimos for the 9th Annual Grey Cup. Argos won 23-0. :shhhh:

paulwoods13
03-09-2012, 02:54 PM
As I've mentioned before that my dad died on the Skywalk on Oct 20th 91 on the way to an Argo/Stamps game.

I don't think I had ever heard that before, 1argoholic. Sorry to hear it. At least he died knowing his favourite team was a powerhouse that season -- too bad he wasn't able to see the big game in Winnipeg a month later.

Nob
03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
1980. Argos vs Edmonton. CNE was packed that day, and that's what I remember the most - the atmosphere that the crowd created. Tony Adams was the Argo QB, going up against the dynasty Eskimo squad led by Warren Moon. So I guess you can figure out who won......

I had seasons tickets for a few years in the early 90's, but gave them up when ticket availability for any games wanted wasn't an issue.

30 plus years of following the Boatmen, and 18 times a year (plus playoffs, and even exhibition) my calendar is booked. Nothing else can interfere with those days.

Invader
03-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Soon after I moved to Toronto, my first Argos game live was the amazing Ticats come-back game in 1994. It was an incredible experience with the Cats scoring 4 straight TD's to eke out a 39-36 win...after the Argos had held a 36-11 lead. The game was a little "foggie" as my buddy smuggled in a bottle of rum and we got blotoed by the 4th Q...but I do remember we had a lot of fun! I think I was about 30 yrs old then (but felt about 40 the next morning). I'd been watching CFL games on TV since the mid 70's.

Will
03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Invader;

That game was actually the Argos coming back on the Ti-Cats to beat them 39-36 instead of vice versa.

marcwagz
03-09-2012, 05:04 PM
as a contrast to you more experienced argo fans my first game was last year in the pre season
argos won hurray
then again that season I saw a game against the roughriders
Toronto won 24-18 but they almost blew it late in the game, were winning by a lot until the fourth and then let the roughriders come within a blown td pass to victory
next season I am hoping to start going to some more games, home opener against calgary my first target

1argoholic
03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Love the stories. Argoholic and I could go on and on just about our stories since meeting in the 500 level in 1990. I have pictures hung around me in our office, one has the two of us with Mike Morealle and his first wife the athlete hottie. I forgot her name and what sport she was in.

Deerkeeper
03-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Had to research the exact date and finer details, but the first time I ever saw the Argos play live was in Hamilton at Civic Stadium on the 4 Oct 1970. Hamilton, Toronto and Montreal were all in a tight battle for first place and I remember a pretty intense game with Hamilton winning 33-14. What I remember most about the day was the huge fight right at field level in the south side stands. A whole mob of people swing and wailing away at each other. Those Cat - Argo games were pretty emotional back then. We always had to go to Hamilton to see games as the Argos were always sold out. I always went with a group of family members and because we couldn't get tickets all together, it was the first game I was able to sit on my own.

OV Argo
03-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Circa early 60's @ Lansdowne Park.

For some reason or other that I don't get - as a young lad - born & raised in Ottawa I became an Argo fan (maybe because there were a lot of Toronna Maple Laffs fans around, including my Dad - so I adopted Toronto football too?); and this was a time when CFL football was big in these parts - every bit as big as NHL hockey; and coming from a Canadian football type family - my Dad was playing Junior ball here when I was born; and my Uncle Ed (RIP) was a CFL player - from Hamilton and played for the University of Detroit and the Hamilton Tigers and then came to Ottawa and played for the Rough Riders - and ended up marrying my Mom's sister.

Never told this story before in all my time posting on all the CFL fan sites - but - Argo great Dick Shatto was my fave player as a young Argo fan, and my parents wrote him/the Argos to tell him about it; and when the Argos came to town whenever it was early/mid 60s - Dick Shatto actually telephoned our home to ask to speak to me - I was not home and missed the call; but i have a vague memory of going to the Argos / Ottawa game and wearing a football helmet (probably with #22 on it) and getting razzed by Ottawa fans; I think my parents told me Mr. Shatto also wrote a letter to me - wish they had kept it - not sure they remember much details - I certainly don't; but that's my story of how a young football fan (5, 6 or 7 years old maybe) became a life-long Argo fan - and I'm sticking to it, without any documented proof ;o)

AngeloV
03-09-2012, 06:38 PM
My first game was inb 1979 against Montreal. I remember feeling very sorry for Terry Metcalf that night as he took a pounding. My older brother took me. I was 11, but remember following them from the time I was about 7 listening to the home games on radio and watching all the road games (except Hamilton as they were blacked out too) on TV. Wonder why I'm not part of the B.S. "lost generation"? Been to pretty much every game since '81.

DanTheFan
03-09-2012, 06:41 PM
My first Argos game was very recently. Wednesday, July 14th 2010. http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-27-stamps-24
(http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-27-stamps-24)My brother and I had recently finished our university studies, and decided to re-aquaint ourselves with the CFL game. Realizing we had never attended a professional football game, we quickly ammended the situation and caught the Argos opener. We'd watched the previous Argos game on television (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/lemon-soars-over-bombers), and were so pumped that we rushed out the next morning to get some tickets.

OV Argo
03-09-2012, 06:57 PM
My first game was inb 1979 against Montreal. I remember feeling very sorry for Terry Metcalf that night as he took a pounding. My older brother took me. I was 11, but remember following them from the time I was about 7 listening to the home games on radio and watching all the road games (except Hamilton as they were blacked out too) on TV. Wonder why I'm not part of the B.S. "lost generation"? Been to pretty much every game since '81.

Wow! - that's a lot of Argo games AV - great stuff !!!

"lost generation" BS indeed; the main thing lost for the Argos/CFL over the years since those days are all the clueless wannabes in the media who sold the CFL down the river with lacking or negative coverage so they could fawn all over (over-hyped galore now) NHL hockey, plus flocking to cover the Blue Jays or whatever else sporting stuff they were told was "major league" or "world class".

paulwoods13
03-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Second half of the season in either 1977 or '78, pretty sure it was '77. Leon McQuay's first game back with the Argos, against the Bombers. The Argos lost before a big crowd.

paulwoods13
03-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Invader;

That game was actually the Argos coming back on the Ti-Cats to beat them 39-36 instead of vice versa.

Relive it: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBA3EF32579F3F56B&feature=view_all

argofandave
03-09-2012, 09:57 PM
My first game was in the summer of 1976 when the Argos were playing against the Alouettes. I was working a summer job at a small plant in Oakville at the time and one of the other students working there was Steve Doucette who was the son of former Argo Gerry Doucette. Steve, his brother Mike, and 2 of their friends all had season tickets together in the end zone. One of the friends couldn't make it to a game so I bought the ticket from him. I remember that Johnny Rodgers played for the Als and that Anthony Davis was a "scratch" for the Argos. A few years ago, I was at a beer store in Burlington and noticed that when I got back to my car, the car parked beside me had "Argonaut" on the licence plate. I started talking to the driver and he said he parked beside my car because he noticed that I have the Argo logo on my plate. We talked some more and then I realized that this was Mike Doucette who I hadn't seen since that first Argo game that I went to in 1976.

AngeloV
03-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Wow! - that's a lot of Argo games AV - great stuff !!!

"lost generation" BS indeed; the main thing lost for the Argos/CFL over the years since those days are all the clueless wannabes in the media who sold the CFL down the river with lacking or negative coverage so they could fawn all over (over-hyped galore now) NHL hockey, plus flocking to cover the Blue Jays or whatever else sporting stuff they were told was "major league" or "world class".

Yes, since I was a kid, I was in love with the game and the team. Funny and true story..In 1988 when I was QB of the Oshawa Hawkeyes in the OFC (we played against the Sooners out your way), the Argos had a Wednesday night home game against the Ti-Cats. I told the coaches that I would not be able to make practice that night (of course the coaches new why) and they canceled practice. Hey, I had already missed the BC game that season because of practice, I didn't want to miss this one as well. LOL.

1argoholic
03-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I've mentioned on here and the other site many times that they lost plenty of very old long time season ticket holders when they f'ed them over when they moved to Skydome. I can remember looking in awe at the primo seats at the CNE and knowing that I'd never have them. Folks had those seats in their families for years and years. Then those same great fans never got first shot at the same seats in Skydome. Many said screw it. I had an Argo licence plate on my work truck in Mississauga and many people would see that and start up conversations about the good old days at CNE but that they no longer go to games. That's how I started to hear about how they were treated.

ArgoRavi
03-10-2012, 01:25 AM
My first Argo/CFL game was in Toronto on July 16th, 1981. I went with my dad and my cousin and we saw the Argos lose 32-29 to B.C. It was a typical Argo loss in those days - heartbreaking. The Argos were in position to at least tie the game in the final minute, if not win it, but Condredge Holloway threw an interception and that was the ball game. It was an entertaining game though.

ArgoRavi
03-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Second half of the season in either 1977 or '78, pretty sure it was '77. Leon McQuay's first game back with the Argos, against the Bombers. The Argos lost before a big crowd.

There is a clip of that game on YouTube, Paul. The Argos were on a rare three game winning streak going into that game and were coming off a 43-2 win in Hamilton the week before.

ArgoRavi
03-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Love the stories. Argoholic and I could go on and on just about our stories since meeting in the 500 level in 1990. I have pictures hung around me in our office, one has the two of us with Mike Morealle and his first wife the athlete hottie. I forgot her name and what sport she was in.

That would be Joanne Malar and she was a swimmer. She was working for CHCH for a bit but I haven't heard anything about her in a few years.

paulwoods13
03-10-2012, 07:04 AM
My first Argo/CFL game was in Toronto on July 16th, 1981. I went with my dad and my cousin and we saw the Argos lose 32-29 to B.C. It was a typical Argo loss in those days - heartbreaking. The Argos were in position to at least tie the game in the final minute, if not win it, but Condredge Holloway threw an interception and that was the ball game. It was an entertaining game though.

That was the game where Holloway slammed his helmet to bits at the end out of frustration over a third straight close loss, correct?

ArgoZ
03-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Ivor Wynne Stadium 1991. Argos were down 20-0 at the half and came back to win. Watching Pinball and the Rocket make amazing moves. Dunigan looked like my Uncle. They were awesome, they became my team.

DanTheFan
03-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Yes, since I was a kid, I was in love with the game and the team. Funny and true story..In 1988 when I was QB of the Oshawa Hawkeyes in the OFC (we played against the Sooners out your way), the Argos had a Wednesday night home game against the Ti-Cats. I told the coaches that I would not be able to make practice that night (of course the coaches new why) and they canceled practice. Hey, I had already missed the BC game that season because of practice, I didn't want to miss this one as well. LOL.
Hey I remember going to some form of football game in Oshawa as a kid, so it must have been a Hawkeyes game. It must have been at the football field next to the Civic Auditorium. If I recall correctly, they played a team from Ottawa and lost. I think it was lopsided, but when I was around 7 or 8 years old (92-93), I didn't even know how games were scored. I was trying to remember what that game was for years, so thanks for the Hawkeyes mention.

AngeloV
03-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Hey I remember going to some form of football game in Oshawa as a kid, so it must have been a Hawkeyes game. It must have been at the football field next to the Civic Auditorium. If I recall correctly, they played a team from Ottawa and lost. I think it was lopsided, but when I was around 7 or 8 years old (92-93), I didn't even know how games were scored. I was trying to remember what that game was for years, so thanks for the Hawkeyes mention.

Yes, the Hawkeyes had a very long history of not winning many games. In my first year in '88, they hadn't won in 6 years so when we had a 2-6 record, it was considered an amazing feat. We had a great coaching staff that year. HC was former Laurier QB Mike Wilson, DC was at one time on the Argos staff in Tom Cudney and my OC was a man that coached many years at York and St. Mary's in Ken Goddard. These guys really new their stuff, and as a QB, they played to my strengths as at 6'3" 250 at the time, I was not a mobile guy for sure...LOL. Unfortunately they had a bit of a disagreement with the board that ran the Hawkeyes, and left the team. We really stunk in '89 and they didn't get much better as a whole after that, although they did have a lot of good individual players. They folded their Junior team in the mid 90's.

OV Argo
03-10-2012, 10:20 AM

I might have seen you play - back in those days - used to go to the odd Sooners game here & there (i have the ticket stub from the National Championship game they played in at Lansdowne in 85 - lost to the Saskatoon Hilltops); I haven`t gone out to a Junior game in a number of years now - Ottawa has the Junior Riders as well (play in the Quebec Junior league i believe); the Sooners have a long tradition here; and the Carleton Ravens are coming back to CIS ball !!! - be great to go to another Panda game vs. the GGs. Plus there`s the Ottawa Invaders (semi-pro type league - the Bottleggers drew some decent crowds - over 5K anyways - to Lansdowne when they played circa late 80s)) - went to one of their games a couple of years back; and there`s Ottawa teams in the OVFL - been meaning to get out to check out one of those games in the summer - that league has produced some very good football players - CFLers and NFLers. Not much publicity or media attention for all these levels of football in Ottawa though - attendance at these games pretty paltry for the most part (the GGs have drawn a few decent crowds); wish that could improve; the media coverage for anything hockey, in comparison, is way over the top, IMO. The lost genearation of media simpletons and wannabes don`t get that football is a Canadian game.

So, lots of football tradition and teams here in Ottawa; hopefully things go smoothly for the new project at Lansdowne and a return of a CFL team.

Will
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I might have seen you play - back in those days - used to go to the odd Sooners game here & there (i have the ticket stub from the National Championship game they played in at Lansdowne in 85 - lost to the Saskatoon Hilltops); I haven`t gone out to a Junior game in a number of years now - Ottawa has the Junior Riders as well (play in the Quebec Junior league i believe); the Sooners have a long tradition here; and the Carleton Ravens are coming back to CIS ball !!! - be great to go to another Panda game vs. the GGs. Plus there`s the Ottawa Invaders (semi-pro type league - the Bottleggers drew some decent crowds - over 5K anyways - to Lansdowne when they played circa late 80s)) - went to one of their games a couple of years back; and there`s Ottawa teams in the OVFL - been meaning to get out to check out one of those games in the summer - that league has produced some very good football players - CFLers and NFLers. Not much publicity or media attention for all these levels of football in Ottawa though - attendance at these games pretty paltry for the most part (the GGs have drawn a few decent crowds); with that could improve.

So, lots of football tradition and teams here in Ottawa; hopefully things go smoothly for the new project at Lansdowne and a return of a CFL team.

I'd rather be a gee gee than a f***** raven-crow
'cause ravens don't get laid

That's practically the first thing we were taught during frosh week in 2005. It'll be good for the Gee Gees to have a local rival again. Them and Queens are relatively isolated in the OUA geographically.

AngeloV
03-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Iand there`s Ottawa teams in the OVFL - been meaning to get out to check out one of those games in the summer - that league has produced some very good football players - CFLers and NFLers.

OVFL has some very good players. I saw now 2nd year Guelph QB Jazz Lindsey play last year and was really impressed. I think he will tear up the OUA over the next 3 seasons. The only problem I have with the league is that though they play Canadian rules in every other aspect, they play with 4 downs. Doesn't make sense to me.

Nob
03-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I was fortunate enough to coach in the OVFL for 8 years. I coached pros, future pros, CIS, NCAA players and some all around great kids. The league is a great league, and provides excellent coaching and opportunities for players to get additional playing against better teams and players.

Unfortunately moving out west took me out of the coaching gig. I miss it dearly. We had 75 players on our team every year. Great, great young men. I also had 15 coaches on my staff. We all did it for the love of the game.

If you get a chance to catch some OVFL ball it is worth it. There are some very good people associated with the league, and some excellent franchises (London, Essex, Mississauga, Cambridge, Niagara, Ottawa, and the Toronto teams, amongst others).

There are a lot of future Argos, Cats, and others, playing in the OVFL.

Will
03-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Has the OVFL always been a prominent league or have they taken it to a new level over the last couple of years? I ask because a strong minor football tradition in the Ottawa market could only be a benefit for the CFL franchise, IMO. I've had several friends end up playing for the Jr. Riders. I think the Gee Gees will send some players down there who need additional seasoning.

Nob
03-10-2012, 12:25 PM
87 - I was in the OVFL from 2001 - 2009. It was strong then, and I know that is in pretty good strength right now. Ottawa always had contending teams. They have 2 franchises in Ottawa, and both were always at, or near, the top.

Nob
03-10-2012, 12:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Argos first round pick last year, Holmes, played for the Ottawa Myers Riders. We played them inthe 2005 OVFL JVfinals. Holmes played DL for Ottawa. He was a beast then. You could tell he was going to play ball at a higher level.

1argoholic
03-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Nob you should get involved with some football in the lower mainland. We go to watch one of our friends boys play for the local Cowichan Valley Bulldogs. They travel to the lower mainland to play against Delta, Abbotsford and a few other teams. One kid I saw play for Victoria a few years back just got a full ride at Arizona St. Tyrell Davis I believe his name is. When I saw him play he never left the field and was great on both sides of the ball and on returns. He's a rb. There is some amazing football talent out here.
The Nanaimo Raiders have been an amazing Jr team for about six years now.
I used to go and watch The Mississauga Raiders back in the 70's. They'd play at Applewood Secondary on Saturdays. They had former Argo and Rider Dwight Edwards who'd seemingly return every ball punted or kicked off to him. The Raider kicked everyones ass back then. At one point they hadn't lost a game in six odd years. I ended up doing landscaping for a couple in Mississauga and the guy played on the D line or linebacker on those teams. He'd tell me stories about how it got a bit boring killing other teams so they'd hold up a receiver or rb so other guys could take shots and pile on into them. Crazy stuff! Oh I remember his name now, Marchetti or something like that.
Wally knows about having strong Jr talent. Andrew Harris was ripping Jr ball out here apart with his amazing running just a few years back with Nanaimo. I think Rob Cote and Jon Conish both played with the Victoria Rebels.

Nob
03-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd love to coach again, but this thing called "a job" got in the way. Plus, there isn't the same attachment out here as there was in the heartland. I knew the kids from their minor football days (coached there too), and then recruited the same kids when they were in high school. You get to know them, and they get to know you. It was a blast.

Just not the same out here. At least not yet.

ArgoRavi
03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
That was the game where Holloway slammed his helmet to bits at the end out of frustration over a third straight close loss, correct?

Yes, it was. The Argos lost their first three games that year by a combined five points and never recovered.

Will
03-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes, it was. The Argos lost their first three games that year by a combined five points and never recovered.

You could make the argument that the same fate befell last year's team to an extent. They lost a few close games early on and never recovered.

ArgoRavi
03-10-2012, 03:33 PM
You could make the argument that the same fate befell last year's team to an extent. They lost a few close games early on and never recovered.

The season seems to take on its own momentum. I know that everyone will forever point to the 2011 B.C. Lions as a team that overcame a poor start to win the Grey Cup (I believe that the '73 Ottawa Rough Riders were the previous example after starting 0-4) but far more often than not when you start off 1-6 or 0-3 or 0-5 you never recover. Those first five or six games of a season are as important as any which is also another reason why I hate the saying that "the season doesn't really begin until Labour Day". Last year's Bombers were the worst team in the league after Labour Day and still made it to the Grey Cup mostly because of their strong start.

1argoholic
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Nob I can relate. Oct witll be ten years for us living here and it still doesn't feel like home. It's a daily struggle for me and I don't work for anybody. That may have helped me but I've been self employed since 88 working by myself all of those years.
I have to just get along until we move to the Peterborough area. This year after Grey Cup we're renting a car and my wife and I are taking my mom to Pete for three days. She hasn't been there in years but would move back to that area when we move back. She's lived out here since 92 and still isn't thrilled with life here. Oh well one day I'll look back to these days as some sort of adventure/learning experience.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8