PDA

View Full Version : Jim Popp returning as coach and Brandon Bridge as a QB in Montreal

ArgoRavi
11-09-2015, 09:31 PM
The Als want continuity in their coaching staff so Jim Popp and the coordinators will all be back in 2016 while Canadian Brandon Bridge will be one of the returning QBs: http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/CFL/Montreal/2015/11/09/22570977.html

gilthethrill
11-09-2015, 09:51 PM
The Als want continuity in their coaching staff so Jim Popp and the coordinators will all be back in 2016 while Canadian Brandon Bridge will be one of the returning QBs: http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/CFL/Montreal/2015/11/09/22570977.html

Good news for the East in 2016.....Herb Z reported that Jonathan Crompton will retire in the offseason....that is bad news for the Eastern Division.

R.J
11-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Bad move by the Als IMO, but not completely surprising, actually the only thing that's surprising is it was a supposed unanimous vote, with Andrew Wetenhall also voting in favour. I agree, this is a good thing for not only the East but other teams in the CFL. I might eat crow, but I think Popp is currently one of the worst if not thee worst Coach in the league and I still don't think it's a smart move having Calvillo as the OC this early in his career, but it seems as though Calvillo is on the fast track to be the HC of the Als shortly.

Argo
11-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Bad move by the Als IMO, but not completely surprising, actually the only thing that's surprising is it was a supposed unanimous vote, with Andrew Wetenhall also voting in favour. I agree, this is a good thing for not only the East but other teams in the CFL. I might eat crow, but I think Popp is currently one of the worst if not thee worst Coach in the league and I still don't think it's a smart move having Calvillo as the OC this early in his career, but it seems as though Calvillo is on the fast track to be the HC of the Als shortly.

Interesting decision, with the upside being continuity, and the downside being continuity. We shall see how it works out next season, the intrigue simply adding to CFL fans' interest along the way.

As for AC in relation to his being OC, he's seen it all many times and this is football, not quantum mechanics or even mere rocket science...

R.J
11-10-2015, 03:07 PM
As for AC in relation to his being OC, he's seen it all many times and this is football, not quantum mechanics or even mere rocket science...
Just because AC is the yardage record holder, doesn't mean he'll be a good OC. Actually when you think about it the opposite is usually true, Milanovich wasn't a good QB and he's considering an "offensive guru", Huff was an okay QB I suppose and IMO was lights out as an OC, Austin the same IMO and those guys came up slowly.

paulwoods13
11-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Just because AC is the yardage record holder, doesn't mean he'll be a good OC. Actually when you think about it the opposite is usually true, Milanovich wasn't a good QB and he's considering an "offensive guru", Huff was an okay QB I suppose and IMO was lights out as an OC, Austin the same IMO and those guys came up slowly.

Austin was better than OK as a QB. Passed for 6,000 yards once, five straight years over 4,000, averaged 30 TD passes over those five years. Quite a bit better than Hufnagel IMO.

AngeloV
11-10-2015, 04:39 PM

I think the reason that successful QB's have a hard time as coordinators is because they have a difficult time relating to guys that don't have their thought process on the field.

Argo
11-10-2015, 05:15 PM

Superb QBs are rare, so superb QBs transitioning to good OCs must also be. I would not call Milanovich an offensive guru, though no one could claim he's an imposter in the role of professional Head Coach.

What I doubt: (1) the very well done AC would see anything new given another couple of seasons of seasoning, and (2) the efficacy of anything relative to on-the-job training, particularly in Calvillo's case.

R.J
11-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Austin was better than OK as a QB. Passed for 6,000 yards once, five straight years over 4,000, averaged 30 TD passes over those five years. Quite a bit better than Hufnagel IMO.
Fair point, but I don't think Austin was that good of a QB, mediocre if anything IMO and like Huf a much better coach than QB.

Superb QBs are rare, so superb QBs transitioning to good OCs must also be. I would not call Milanovich an offensive guru, though no one could claim he's an imposter in the role of professional Head Coach.

What I doubt: (1) the very well done AC would see anything new given another couple of seasons of seasoning, and (2) the efficacy of anything relative to on-the-job training, particularly in Calvillo's case.

I put offensive guru in quotations for a reason, CFL media and fans on other forums think he's one of the top offensive minds. I see no point in bringing up how I feel about Milanovich.

ArgoRavi
11-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Fair point, but I don't think Austin was that good of a QB, mediocre if anything IMO and like Huf a much better coach than QB.

I have to disagree with you here. Austin was one of the best at a time when the league was rich in top-notch QBs. If you only saw him after about 1993 when he left Saskatchewan, I can understand you saying that he was mediocre. However, from 1988 to 1993, he was as prolific a passer as any in the league.

R.J
11-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I have to disagree with you here. Austin was one of the best at a time when the league was rich in top-notch QBs. If you only saw him after about 1993 when he left Saskatchewan, I can understand you saying that he was mediocre. However, from 1988 to 1993, he was as prolific a passer as any in the league.

Only started watching the CFL in 94, so basing it somewhat on what I remember seeing. However I did look at his stats and 57.6 career completion %, 198 TDs- 191 INTS and a 78.0 QB rating is the epitome of mediocre. Kevin Glenn and Danny McManus (I get a lot of flak for my views on him) are in the same boat for me. Damon Allen I was never crazy about, but I respect his running ability in his youth and how long he played and stayed healthy for.

paulwoods13
11-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Ron Lancaster had a career completion percentage of 54.3, 333/396 and QB ranking of 72.4. Russ Jackson (by many accounts one of the three greatest QBs in history, alongside Flutie and Moon) was 53.6, 185/125 and 91.0. An earlier era (by 20 years) but the numbers, like Austin's, pale against today's high-percentage passers. I think stats understate how good Austin and McManus (and Jackson & Lancaster) were, and overstate how good Glenn is.

R.J
11-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Ron Lancaster had a career completion percentage of 54.3, 333/396 and QB ranking of 72.4. Russ Jackson (by many accounts one of the three greatest QBs in history, alongside Flutie and Moon) was 53.6, 185/125 and 91.0. An earlier era (by 20 years) but the numbers, like Austin's, pale against today's high-percentage passers. I think stats understate how good Austin and McManus (and Jackson & Lancaster) were, and overstate how good Glenn is.
I often hear how it's hard to compare different eras in sports, clearly this is one of those times. For me completion % isn't overly important as TD-INT ratio is. Again I only saw the later years of Austin, which is probably focusing my viewpoint on him to one side.

AngeloV
11-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Teams used to throw deep a lot more often in 20+ years ago, and a lot more INT's were thrown as a result. Free safety was basically a center field rover type position. It's amazing if you ever watch tapes how many INT's safeties had by just standing there and catching over throws. Paul Bennet and Scott Flagel made careers out it, although in my books, Flagel was way better than Bennett.

R.J
11-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Teams used to throw deep a lot more often in 20+ years ago, and a lot more INT's were thrown as a result. Free safety was basically a center field rover type position. It's amazing if you ever watch tapes how many INT's safeties had by just standing there and catching over throws. Paul Bennet and Scott Flagel made careers out it, although in my books, Flagel was way better than Bennett.
Stuff like this I didn't know about, but always great to learn. Thanks for the insight AV and Paul.

OV Argo
11-10-2015, 11:58 PM

Flagel better than Bennett ??? - now I've heard everything = not even close.

Free safety is biggest weak spot in CFL defences now IMO - teams want to go with a "cover" guy who plays deep, but often does little to nothing now - no consistent big play / big hitting CFL safety now compared to some old days and not even close; Gabriel is sort of a throw back, cause he is a bit hitter and solid tackler, but does not yet show enough range & smarts to break-up a lot of passes and make LOTS of INTs ( i think he can progress there and he has great potential to be that big play safety) - and that IMO was the mark of outstanding CFL safeties of the past - MAKE PLAYS - lots of picks, lots of tackles and big hits, break up passes and also can blitz and pressure the QB when called upon. Yeah - teams don't throw deep as much in favor of dink & dunk stuff now, so that limits a safety in terms of making INTs somewhat, but good smart safeties read plays well and get to the ball. American guys who have no concept of safety (or rover as IMO is was more properly called) in Canadian ball are going to struggle till they learn at a foreign position - Ottawa's safeties this year have been next to useless IMO, and Bell from Calgary who won West all-star does little; interesting that Ticats back-up Mike Daly - who replaced an injured Butler for a bit this season - had 3 picks (= more than any starting CFL safety in a fraction of the playing time) and some other good plays in limited action - he's an actual experienced guy at the position, having played it for years at Mac, that is unique to Canadian football.

AngeloV
11-11-2015, 01:25 AM
Flagel better than Bennett ??? - now I've heard everything = not even close.

Free safety is biggest weak spot in CFL defences now IMO - teams want to go with a "cover" guy who plays deep, but often does little to nothing now - no consistent big play / big hitting CFL safety now compared to some old days and not even close; Gabriel is sort of a throw back, cause he is a bit hitter and solid tackler, but does not yet show enough range & smarts to break-up a lot of passes and make LOTS of INTs ( i think he can progress there and he has great potential to be that big play safety) - and that IMO was the mark of outstanding CFL safeties of the past - MAKE PLAYS - lots of picks, lots of tackles and big hits, break up passes and also can blitz and pressure the QB when called upon. Yeah - teams don't throw deep as much in favor of dink & dunk stuff now, so that limits a safety in terms of making INTs somewhat, but good smart safeties read plays well and get to the ball. American guys who have no concept of safety (or rover as IMO is was more properly called) in Canadian ball are going to struggle till they learn at a foreign position - Ottawa's safeties this year have been next to useless IMO, and Bell from Calgary who won West all-star does little; interesting that Ticats back-up Mike Daly - who replaced an injured Butler for a bit this season - had 3 picks (= more than any starting CFL safety in a fraction of the playing time) and some other good plays in limited action - he's an actual experienced guy at the position, having played it for years at Mac, that is unique to Canadian football.

Scott Flagel put fear into receivers coming over the middle. He was waaaaayyyyy better than Bennett.

Paul Bennett was a brutal tackler. Don't let INT stats cloud your judgement. I would say 80% of his picks came right to him in centre field, where he didn't even have to move. Never forget seeing him hang on for dear life as Craig Ellis carried him into the endzone. To steal a line from you, if you want to believe what the clueless media do in terms of all star voting, that is your choice. Stats are not the be all and end all.

paulwoods13
11-11-2015, 08:59 AM
I often hear how it's hard to compare different eras in sports, clearly this is one of those times. For me completion % isn't overly important as TD-INT ratio is. Again I only saw the later years of Austin, which is probably focusing my viewpoint on him to one side.

Which makes Russ Jackson's numbers that much more impressive as (I'm pretty sure) a much higher percentage of passes were intercepted in the '60s and '70s. On the other hand, Lancaster threw more picks than TDs yet most longtime fans would still put him in the top 10 all time.

1argoholic
11-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Amazing how people forget all the picks. Danny Mac always threw a ton as does Smiling Hank. Hank seems to give the ball away in bunches. Hopefully if we get through Hamilton Hank could have one of his generous games.

No Bashing Paul Bennett. He had one of the best tackles of all time while waiting to return a punt for TO at CNE. Some drunk ran on the field and we had great seats to see Bennett hammer the poor guy.

AngeloV
11-11-2015, 11:28 AM
No Bashing Paul Bennett. He had one of the best tackles of all time while waiting to return a punt for TO at CNE. Some drunk ran on the field and we had great seats to see Bennett hammer the poor guy.

LOL..too bad it was the best hit of his career.

argolio
11-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Aren't the Als still paying two fired head coaches next year? That would partly explain keeping Popp for 2016.

Argo
11-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Aren't the Als still paying two fired head coaches next year? That would partly explain keeping Popp for 2016.

Good point.

R.J
11-11-2015, 04:57 PM
I believe Hawkins received a full buy out, so his contract wouldn't still be on the books. Not sure how long Higgins was signed for.

OV Argo
11-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Scott Flagel put fear into receivers coming over the middle. He was waaaaayyyyy better than Bennett.

Paul Bennett was a brutal tackler. Don't let INT stats cloud your judgement. I would say 80% of his picks came right to him in centre field, where he didn't even have to move. Never forget seeing him hang on for dear life as Craig Ellis carried him into the endzone. To steal a line from you, if you want to believe what the clueless media do in terms of all star voting, that is your choice. Stats are not the be all and end all.

Flagel had the odd big hit by whiffed a lot and missed tackles; and he didn't have close to the nose for the ball that Bennett had; funny, I don't recall Bennett being a bad tackler at all, and i guess all-star voters back then didn\t think so either (not that they don't make mistakes - just more unlikely for guys who are all-stars for many seasons) - sorry, he was wayyyyy better than Flagel. I get the feeling you have something against Canadian/CIS players who didn't play their whole CFL careers for the Argos or maybe Laurier guys - Dillon Campbell, what a bust of a draft pick.

R.J
11-11-2015, 05:26 PM
I get the feeling you have something against Canadian/CIS players who didn't play their whole CFL careers for the Argos or maybe Laurier guys - Dillon Campbell, what a bust of a draft pick.

Pretty sure AV has stated that he wants to see Campbell back for training camp next year and see a Canadian RB combo of Campbell and Coombs.

argolio
11-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Paul Bennett was a very good player, but I give far more credit to his d-line for his success in Hamilton, and that of Felix Wright, Howard Fields, Less Browne, Jim Rockford, etc. They played behind one of the best d-lines in CFL history. Grover Covington and Mike Walker at end and tackle were all-timers, and guys like Mitchell Price, David Sauve, Greg Gary, Leon Lyszkiewicz, Romel Andrews, and Rod Skillman were all quality players. Can't recall a d-line that caused more jump balls and easy picks than the Ticats of the mid to late-80s.

According to Wikipedia, Rich Stubler was their d-coordinator from 83-89. So that explains a lot.

Antwon
11-11-2015, 10:32 PM
I believe Hawkins received a full buy out, so his contract wouldn't still be on the books. Not sure how long Higgins was signed for.

My bet is they're going to give Popp enough rope to hang himself next year. Another year out of the playoffs and there's no excuse to can the GM/Coach. His coaching record speacks for its self....crap!

AngeloV
11-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Flagel had the odd big hit by whiffed a lot and missed tackles; and he didn't have close to the nose for the ball that Bennett had; funny, I don't recall Bennett being a bad tackler at all, and i guess all-star voters back then didn\t think so either (not that they don't make mistakes - just more unlikely for guys who are all-stars for many seasons) - sorry, he was wayyyyy better than Flagel. I get the feeling you have something against Canadian/CIS players who didn't play their whole CFL careers for the Argos or maybe Laurier guys - Dillon Campbell, what a bust of a draft pick.

Strange, I don't recall Flagel ever playing for the Argos. But now I get it. You like Bennett better because he was CIS trained while Flagel played NCAA.

To be honest, I had no idea Flagel even played NCAA ball.

Pretty sure AV has stated that he wants to see Campbell back for training camp next year and see a Canadian RB combo of Campbell and Coombs.

Yes I did. I guess because I stated that Campbell struggled in the 1 game I saw him play live against York this season, it was taken that I am anti CIS player. I'm not. Just because I don't think there are a lot of pro ready players in the CIS, doesn't mean I don't pull for them. Quite the contrary actually.

R.J
11-11-2015, 10:57 PM
My bet is they're going to give Popp enough rope to hang himself next year. Another year out of the playoffs and there's no excuse to can the GM/Coach. His coaching record speacks for its self....crap!
I think Popp will stick around as Head Coach for a year or two, then hand over the reigns to AC. At least that's how it looks from the outside.

AngeloV
11-11-2015, 11:00 PM
I think Popp will stick around as Head Coach for a year or two, then hand over the reigns to AC. At least that's how it looks from the outside.

I agree with that. There is no other reason for Popp to stay as coach. Of course, it could eventually cost them Noel Thorpe.

OV Argo
11-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Strange, I don't recall Flagel ever playing for the Argos. But now I get it. You like Bennett better because he was CIS trained while Flagel played NCAA.

To be honest, I had no idea Flagel even played NCAA ball.

Yes I did. I guess because I stated that Campbell struggled in the 1 game I saw him play live against York this season, it was taken that I am anti CIS player. I'm not. Just because I don't think there are a lot of pro ready players in the CIS, doesn't mean I don't pull for them. Quite the contrary actually.

FYI - Bennett actually started playing college ball in the US before coming back to Canada to play for Laurier - so he had that US ball training that you think is automatically superior it seems.

Flagel & Bennett were both - IMO - outstanding CFL safeties; I believe Bennett was quite a bit better and it has nothing to do with where they played college ball; I just can't believe you deem Bennett not that good ??? "a brutal tackler" - bizzarre - maybe you are somehow trying to rationalize the Argos getting rid on an all-time great CFL player, and likewise trying to justify the Argos' braintrust cutting Campbell with your low rating there?

Just having fun with this AV - but I don't rate players based on wether they were getting to play for my favorite team, and I hope you don't have that bias either.

AngeloV
11-12-2015, 01:03 PM
FYI - Bennett actually started playing college ball in the US before coming back to Canada to play for Laurier - so he had that US ball training that you think is automatically superior it seems.

Flagel & Bennett were both - IMO - outstanding CFL safeties; I believe Bennett was quite a bit better and it has nothing to do with where they played college ball; I just can't believe you deem Bennett not that good ??? "a brutal tackler" - bizzarre - maybe you are somehow trying to rationalize the Argos getting rid on an all-time great CFL player, and likewise trying to justify the Argos' braintrust cutting Campbell with your low rating there?

Just having fun with this AV - but I don't rate players based on wether they were getting to play for my favorite team, and I hope you don't have that bias either.

I know OV. I don't get mad at you either...just some fun difference of opinions, and I love the fact that you don't take it personally.

And for the record, I always thought that Bennett was overrated, but was pretty young during his first Argos stint. He really sucked the 2nd time around, so that may cloud my judgement.

KCargosfan
11-22-2015, 12:16 PM
This has to be a $ move by Wetenhall. He saves $300K by not hiring another coach after the Hawkins disaster and Higgins situation.

Als have to be considered the worst or next to worst team for '16, right?

Will
11-23-2015, 09:05 AM
I agree with that. There is no other reason for Popp to stay as coach. Of course, it could eventually cost them Noel Thorpe.

It likely will; this move could easily blow up in the Als face.

Correction: I hope this blows up in the Als face.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8