PDA

View Full Version : Which ad blocker do you use ?

R.J
11-13-2015, 03:05 PM
While discussing streaming sites in one of the double blue threads, this was very lightly brought up. I used to be a big fan of adblock plus, which I think is very good at what it does, but I switched over to ublock origin (for Chrome) a couple of months ago and love it. Ublock Origin has the same lists as ABP (more of which are enabled "out of the box" and doesn't sell your history like ABP now does), but is considerably less resource hungry. As someone who streams a lot of tv shows and movies, adblockers are a must for me. So I just wanted to see who else uses them and which do you prefer ?

Mention of browser is also useful.

Wobbler
11-14-2015, 08:45 PM
As I mentioned the other day, I like AdFender. It works with any browser, is easy to manage (but basically just stays out of the way), and is being actively developed. Resource-wise, it is currently using 36MB of RAM on my machine (Windows 10, Edge 25.10586), which I admit is more than I would have expected.

R.J
11-15-2015, 02:03 AM
Ublock origin averages around 27mb of ram on my pc. When I was using Adblock plus it was averaging at least 63mb of ram (would go over 120 at times) and sometimes would use a small chunk of my cpu as well.
How's Edge btw ?

Wobbler
11-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Edge is OK, and I haven't felt the need to install Chrome or FF since upgrading to Win10. It is extremely fast and I like the minimal interface, but it is missing some stuff. Favourites management is *too* minimal, and it needs extensions support for password managers (etc.). However, Edge has been getting new features at a good rate, so I'm confident that those things will arrive pretty soon.

"Issues"Mcgee
11-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Firefox with NoScript. I believe you can get NoScript for other browsers as well. It's the best because it allows you full control of exactly what scripts your browser is communicating with at all times. Because of this, it can be very complicated and inconvenient, however. I guarantee you though it will greatly extend the life of your PC I'm not sure if or how it works with Mac. NoScript is a must if you stream content online.

Funny story. I'm not sure if anyone recalls that in 2012 Wikipedia blocked their website as a way of showing the world "information isn't free. Blahh blahh." Well Wikipedia made the block happen using a simple script, so any NoScript user easily jumped passed the block at the click of a button. It was a great day to be a know-it-all.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8