PDA

View Full Version : Bell Media layoffs affecting sports

ArgoRavi
11-17-2015, 11:00 PM
Bell Media did some major cutting today which will impact sports coverage in this country. Michael Landsberg's Off The Record show is one of the victims. Some familiar names lost their jobs today including Suneel Joshi at CFTO who has covered the Argos during his time there as well as at CFRB back in the 1980s. Also, longtime Ottawa sportscaster (from CJOH) Carolyn Waldo was among the cuts. Finally, Dan Matheson who hosted CFL coverage on CTV back in the mid-1980s lost his news anchor position at CTV NewsNet today and longtime TSN reporter Sheri Forde (Duane's spouse) lost her job too. This was definitely an awful day for many who work for Bell Media.

1argoholic
11-18-2015, 09:39 AM
WOW. You wonder how they come up with the tough calls. Suneel has been on there for years and years. He seems to have lost some of his passion. Never a big Sheri Ford fan after her smug comment to me years ago at Grey Cup. She's a Bomber fan.
All big names.

AngeloV
11-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Bell Media did some major cutting today which will impact sports coverage in this country. Michael Landsberg's Off The Record show is one of the victims. Some familiar names lost their jobs today including Suneel Joshi at CFTO who has covered the Argos during his time there as well as at CFRB back in the 1980s. Also, longtime Ottawa sportscaster (from CJOH) Carolyn Waldo was among the cuts. Finally, Dan Matheson who hosted CFL coverage on CTV back in the mid-1980s lost his news anchor position at CTV NewsNet today and longtime TSN reporter Sheri Forde (Duane's spouse) lost her job too. This was definitely an awful day for many who work for Bell Media.

Very rough day indeed. Mike Richards co-host on TSN1050 mornings David Bastl was also let go.

R.J
11-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Was bound to happen eventually, especially with losing the National NHL deal. Although I don't wish for anyone to lose their jobs, I'm kind of glad that Bastl is gone from 1050, didn't care for him.

argonaut11xx
11-18-2015, 06:28 PM
On Leafs Lunch today, they commented on the many folks who were let go. (Bummer they didn't get rid of Brian Hayes)

BUT, its real life, and you carry on. If any of these folks are honestly great, or very good, they will land on their feet.

R.J
11-18-2015, 07:39 PM
(Bummer they didn't get rid of Brian Hayes)
Agreed.

PullTogether73
11-19-2015, 06:00 AM
Agreed.

x 3.

AngeloV
11-19-2015, 01:35 PM
On Leafs Lunch today, they commented on the many folks who were let go. (Bummer they didn't get rid of Brian Hayes)

I've felt his way about him forever. I really can't stand his too cool persona. I guess it runs in his family starting with ultra douche uncle John Derringer.

argonaut11xx
11-19-2015, 03:43 PM
I've felt his way about him forever. I really can't stand his too cool persona. I guess it runs in his family starting with ultra douche uncle John Derringer.

Angelo, you have outdone yourself. Thats a moniker that must be re-used, over and over. HAHAHA

LLB997
11-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Angelo, you have outdone yourself. Thats a moniker that must be re-used, over and over. HAHAHA

Derringer is his uncle? I thought Joey Vendetta was

argolio
11-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Derringer is his uncle? I thought Joey Vendetta wasDerringer is. If Vendetta isn't, he might as well be.

Will
11-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Derringer is his uncle? I thought Joey Vendetta was

Derringer's real last name is Hayes. Bill Hayes and Derringer never made their relation a secret AFAIK.

PullTogether73
11-20-2015, 10:30 AM
i really can't stand his too cool persona.

Exactly!!!!

Argocister
11-21-2015, 09:25 PM
agreed.

ArgoGabe22
11-21-2015, 10:52 PM
I sometimes watch Leafs Lunch when I'm off school and nothing is ever on but I just see Brain Hayes as the boring guy on the panel. I don't see why everyone dislikes but it's not like I like him either. Maybe it's just that I've only heard him like 10 times in my lifetime. He's lost a lot of weight though if I recall what he used to look like.

PullTogether73
11-21-2015, 11:25 PM
I sometimes watch Leafs Lunch when I'm off school and nothing is ever on but I just see Brain Hayes as the boring guy on the panel. I don't see why everyone dislikes but it's not like I like him either. Maybe it's just that I've only heard him like 10 times in my lifetime. He's lost a lot of weight though if I recall what he used to look like.

Hayes and O'Neill make me tune out TSN 1050 for the two hours that both are on for Leafs Lunch.
I don't know how MacLennan can stand to work with them.

AngeloV
11-22-2015, 12:32 AM
Hayes and O'Neill make me tune out TSN 1050 for the two hours that both are on for Leafs Lunch.

Noodles is definitely the one of the 3 that comes across as not having a huge ego.

Gill The Thrill
11-22-2015, 10:39 AM

If you're going to put an ex-Leaf on a Toronto radio station, at least make it one who actually played half-decent here. They might as well have David Clarkson, Owen Nolan and Sergio Mommesso on the show with Jeff O'Neill. Although they're not all local, all of them played their best NHL hockey in other places. Hayes is the cement-head on the show, who knew that being an OHL cement-head with no skill would get you a sports broadcasting career, but then the Derringer connection came in?...that would be the same Derringer who thought people were listening to the fan590 in the mornings because of him, instead of the late Pat Marsden years ago. After 590 didn't budge to his demands, he balked and went back to rock radio on Q107. He left in a huff if I remember well.

Will
11-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Attitude towards the CFL I suspect.

R.J
11-23-2015, 04:45 PM
Attitude towards the CFL I suspect.
While he does make stupid comments about the CFL, my issues with him are more to do with him being a "fanboy" and a "sheep", basically he represents the stereotypical "millennials", but hey maybe that's what TSN wants. He also seems to copy everything that O'Neill says, more specifically O'Neill's random nicknames and phrases.

PullTogether73
11-23-2015, 11:04 PM
Have they replaced David Bastl on the Mike Richards morning radio show, or is Richards doing that solo now?

Bastl had a terrific radio voice, although he didn't add much in terms of content imo.

And was Bob Makowiecz (sp?) let go as well?
The website says the 9-12 show is now Matthew Cauz and Gareth Wheeler.

paulwoods13
11-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Been wondering about Macko for wks. He was still showing on the website a few wks ago.

Will
11-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Been wondering about Macko for wks. He was still showing on the website a few wks ago.

I believe he hasn't been on since the spring.

R.J
11-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Always liked Macko, prefer him considerably over Wheeler and IMO was the best part of Cybulski & Company.

AngeloV
11-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Always liked Macko, prefer him considerably over Wheeler and IMO was the best part of Cybulski & Company.

I was never a fan of his, but then that is my "sports guy" bias. I just don't like hearing non sports guys talk sports. I think Cauz is funny, but not a sports guy. My biggest beef is when drummer Jeremy Taggart is on as a co-host. When he asks the guests questions, he makes Zicarelli look like a god in terms of knowledge.

R.J
11-24-2015, 10:08 PM
I was never a fan of his, but then that is my "sports guy" bias. I just don't like hearing non sports guys talk sports. I think Cauz is funny, but not a sports guy. My biggest beef is when drummer Jeremy Taggart is on as a co-host. When he asks the guests questions, he makes Zicarelli look like a god in terms of knowledge.
I agree with your assessment of Taggart, but for me Macko was actually one of the better on air personalities on TSN 1050. Was never a fan of Cybulski, Hayes, Wheeler, Bastl, etc. Mike Richards is okay, though I'm not big on some of his segments. My current favourites are Tatti, Hogie and Naylor.

I'm not a fan of Sid Seixeiro, but I've always wanted to see Micallef brought into the TSN fold, actually I'd be okay with bringing in both if they take over for the Bryan Hayes show.

AngeloV
11-25-2015, 05:17 PM
I agree with your assessment of Taggart, but for me Macko was actually one of the better on air personalities on TSN 1050. Was never a fan of Cybulski, Hayes, Wheeler, Bastl, etc. Mike Richards is okay, though I'm not big on some of his segments. My current favourites are Tatti, Hogie and Naylor.

I'm not a fan of Sid Seixeiro, but I've always wanted to see Micallef brought into the TSN fold, actually I'd be okay with bringing in both if they take over for the Bryan Hayes show.

Agreed on Micalef. I always liked him. I remember going to a Uof T vs Western game years ago, and seeing Micalef and Elliott Friedman there. I know they are both Western grads, but if they had an anti Cnadian football mentality, they would not have been there as fans.

ArgoGabe22
11-25-2015, 05:38 PM
I know they are both Western grads, but if they had an anti Cnadian football mentality, they would not have been there as fans.

Tim is a CFL/CIS fan, not sure about Sid.

Scooter McCray
11-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Bill Hayes has been a CFL hater for awhile. So like father like son. I remember arguing years ago on air during grey cup week with Bill Hayes we he was dissing CFL.

AngeloV
11-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Tim is a CFL/CIS fan, not sure about Sid.

Yeah, that's why I didn't mention him.

AngeloV
11-25-2015, 11:45 PM
Bill Hayes has been a CFL hater for awhile. So like father like son. I remember arguing years ago on air during grey cup week with Bill Hayes we he was dissing CFL.

Yeah, he, his father, and "super cool" uncle (Derringer) all proclaim to be huge Green Bay Packers fans. I like Aaron Rogers, but I hope the Packers lose every week only for the fact that it will upset the 3 Stooges.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8