PDA

View Full Version : Commissioner Orridge's State of the League Address

R.J
11-27-2015, 11:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTW772lOsb8

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/cfl-commissioner-orridge-unveils-new-league-logo~758788

argonaut11xx
11-27-2015, 12:19 PM
watched it live on rogers sportsnet....wtf...did i wake up in OZ????

Scooter McCray
11-27-2015, 01:38 PM
I was underwhelmed by his first state of the union. Considering he had an entire season in office already. I did not find that he answered many questions with clearcut answers. Some things seemed to be revelations to him - IE - Terry Jones question about accessibility to coaches/players for the media. He is the head of the FRC. I can't believe this was the first it has been brought to the commissioners attention this year. His main message is the rebranding, but the website will only be up next week or next year, he was not sure. He should have had so many answers buttoned down because he knew what they were going to ask - IE no drug policy all year long. No website all year long. No GC scheduled for Hamilton or process to get GC. I hope he is a demon when it comes to online initiatives and the rebranding attracts the younger demographic. We will see. I am glad we got Copeland for the Argos.

Scooter McCray
11-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Listening to Team 1200 in Ottawa. They were just speaking with a few folks in the media who were also underwhelmed and also Orridge's bosses (team owners) were not impressed with his state of the league. Wow who was the hiring committee? Steve Simmons says Orridge lacks football leadership. We all saw that this year with his total silence with the Argonaut state of affairs.

How much rope should Orridge have? One more season or do you make a decision now to move into a different direction?

My opinion is only one more season. If we are underwhelmed in 2016 he has to go.

paulwoods13
11-27-2015, 05:38 PM
If owners are underwhelmed they will let him go. How fans like him will have nothing to do with it. Hockey fans hated Gary Bettman from Day 1, for many of the same reasons. Not a hockey guy, American, aloof etc. he's still there 22 years later and owners seem to love him. And revenues have risen from $2B pre-2004 lockout to $4B.

Argo57
11-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Listening to Team 1200 in Ottawa. They were just speaking with a few folks in the media who were also underwhelmed and also Orridge's bosses (team owners) were not impressed with his state of the league. Wow who was the hiring committee? Steve Simmons says Orridge lacks football leadership. We all saw that this year with his total silence with the Argonaut state of affairs.

How much rope should Orridge have? One more season or do you make a decision now to move into a different direction?

My opinion is only one more season. If we are underwhelmed in 2016 he has to go.

Did the owners not do their homework on this guy, should be no surprises, can't believe there weren't more dynamic and engaged candidates available, so far his big rebranding initiative (league logo) is off to a underwhelming start, can't wait to see the new uniforms, hopefully the teams themselves have control over their new look, keep this bore out of it.
Eagerly awaiting the Commish's marble mouthed presentation of the Grey Cup on Sunday.

ArgoRavi
11-27-2015, 06:16 PM
If Orridge puts money into the owners' pockets then all will be well. Ultimately, his commissionership will be judged on that. I was half-listening this morning to his State of the League address and I thought it was fine but will have to watch the entire thing. There were times when Mark Cohon didn't have all of the answers either but he was much more charming and dynamic which certainly worked in his favour with the media and fans. Orridge is at a disadvantage in having to follow Cohon.

Scooter McCray
11-27-2015, 08:36 PM
If he makes money for the owners than his initiatives are working. That means attendance, viewership, sponsorships because more fans are generated. He would deserve to stay even if his personality isn't dynamic. Today he did not seem prepared or articulate the grand plan to accomplish this. Again I would provide one more season. But he just seemed unprepared to me.

R.J
11-29-2015, 11:41 AM
The one thing I took away from this is Orridge would probably be better suited for Michael Copeland job as President and COO of the CFL, like a behind the scenes, do the grunt work type of guy.

paulwoods13
11-29-2015, 10:07 PM
I was predisposed to like Orridge, but his pre-game interview with Brian Williams was painfully inept. For a guy who used to work in TV (albeit behind the scenes) he seemed as if he had never been in front of a camera before. And his answers basically amounted to "we're excited about moving forward." I have to assume his senior advisers were cringing.

ArgoRavi
11-30-2015, 12:24 AM
I was predisposed to like Orridge, but his pre-game interview with Brian Williams was painfully inept. For a guy who used to work in TV (albeit behind the scenes) he seemed as if he had never been in front of a camera before. And his answers basically amounted to "we're excited about moving forward." I have to assume his senior advisers were cringing.

Your comments are interesting, Paul, as I thought that Orridge actually had a strong interview with Williams. I suspect that I might be in the minority though.

Double Dare
11-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Your comments are interesting, Paul, as I thought that Orridge actually had a strong interview with Williams. I suspect that I might be in the minority though. Yes, minority. He didn't really expand on anything or give any pertinent information that wasn't already known.

Will
11-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Attended the fan version, and he is a better speaker than I initially thought. He spent 5 minutes answering each question, but said very little.

paulwoods13
11-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Attended the fan version, and he is a better speaker than I initially thought. He spent 5 minutes answering each question, but said very little.

And saying very little makes him better than you thought? Cohon was masterful at saying only what he wanted to say, but he actually did dole out some real info and he clearly was fully up to speed on every issue. Can anyone who watched the commish this weekend say the same about him?

Will
11-30-2015, 04:53 PM
I'm not taking about his responses when I said he was a better speaker than I thought, but more about his public speaking skills if you will.

argotom
11-30-2015, 05:56 PM
I thought this article says is best about Orridge.
Boy, so far he makes Mike Lysko look good.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2015/11/the-monday-morning-goalie_30.html

R.J
11-30-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm not going to lie, Orridge not knowing he was supposed to hand Reilly the GC was a bit embarrassing, on the bright side Williams was on point.

AngeloV
11-30-2015, 07:28 PM
I really think too much is being made of this. As long as he doesn't try anything too radical that blows up in his face, honestly, who really cares.

Seems to me a lot of CFL boards people (and print columnists) have really become whiny lately and only want something to complain about. Leave the guy alone unless he does something to hurt the league.

Rocket
11-30-2015, 07:32 PM
I thought this article says is best about Orridge.
Boy, so far he makes Mike Lysko look good.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2015/11/the-monday-morning-goalie_30.html

Well this just really confirms what I thought of this guy at the start of the cfl season. That orridge is an incompetent no energy clueless lazy commish. I just hope now that other people will have learned something about him during grey cup week in which he failed on every interview he did with no direction or vision for the league no answers to any of the major problems that are facing the cfl. Let's hope someone steps in and puts a stop to this guy receiving any money going forward. Nothing Is more embarrassing for the cfl when they introduce a new logo that looks like a kid from a grade 2 class made. League has so many issues going forward and they have this dope go out and waste money for something like this which the cfl didn't even need in the first place. Does anyone know what kind of contract the cfl got this clown to sign?

R.J
11-30-2015, 07:36 PM
I really think too much is being made of this. As long as he doesn't try anything too radical that blows up in his face, honestly, who really cares.

Seems to me a lot of CFL boards people (and print columnists) have really become whiny lately and only want something to complain about. Leave the guy alone unless he does something to hurt the league.
I see your point Angelo, however in saying that, I overlooked the state of the league address, because honestly, I actually wasn't expecting him to fully answer the questions, but him standing around then having Brian Williams have to tell him to get the Cup from the Mounties wasn't a good thing.

Well this just really confirms what I thought of this guy at the start of the cfl season. That orridge is an incompetent no energy clueless lazy commish. I just hope now that other people will have learned something about him during grey cup week in which he failed on every interview he did with no direction or vision for the league no answers to any of the major problems that are facing the cfl. Let's hope someone steps in and puts a stop to this guy receiving any money going forward. Nothing Is more embarrassing for the cfl when they introduce a new logo that looks like a kid from a grade 2 class made. League has so many issues going forward and they have this dope go out and waste money for something like this which the cfl didn't even need in the first place. Does anyone know what kind of contract the cfl got this clown to sign?
I think it's pretty clear he has a vision for the league, he just hasn't let us or the media know all the details of what they're doing. I don't know if the League "has so many issues" and as Angelo pointed out, it's the individual teams that have to figure out a way to get more fans interested in their respective teams.

AngeloV
11-30-2015, 07:39 PM
I see your point Angelo, however in saying that, I overlooked the state of the league address, because honestly, I actually wasn't expecting him to fully answer the questions, but him standing around then having Brian Williams have to tell him to get the Cup from the Mounties wasn't a good thing.

Maybe deep down, he just didn't want to give it to the Esks. I know I wouldn't have wanted do, and was actually hoping for the WWE to break out and have someone smash it over Chris Jones head.

:D

R.J
11-30-2015, 07:45 PM
It was given to Reilly, so I was actually pretty happy lol.

AngeloV
11-30-2015, 07:50 PM
It was given to Reilly, so I was actually pretty happy lol.

Yeah, I know..but I still hoped for my scenario with Jones.

R.J
11-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I know..but I still hoped for my scenario with Jones.
I guess you're not much of an "Ego" Jones fan then ?
Wait........................ A51 that you ?

AngeloV
11-30-2015, 08:17 PM
I guess you're not much of an "Ego" Jones fan then ?
Wait........................ A51 that you ?

Ouch...That's cold. I have nothing against Jones. I was just looking at things from a comical angle.

R.J
11-30-2015, 08:22 PM
Ouch...That's cold. I have nothing against Jones. I was just looking at things from a comical angle.
https://media.giphy.com/media/MIkRMwNPuJ3eU/giphy.gif

ArgoRavi
11-30-2015, 09:10 PM

I completely agree, AV. I haven't gone over to the forum on cfl.ca in months as I felt that had degenerated into extreme negativity. The league has had some challenges this past season and some issues to deal with but it is still in much better shape than it has been in for most of the last three decades.

Rocket
11-30-2015, 09:22 PM
I completely agree, AV. I haven't gone over to the forum on cfl.ca in months as I felt that had degenerated into extreme negativity. The league has had some challenges this past season and some issues to deal with but it is still in much better shape than it has been in for most of the last three decades.

Yes the league is in a better place now then it was a couple of decades ago thanks to work that was done by Mark Cohen who cleaned up the mess from the other bad commissioners in the past. To ignore and look the other way when Jeffery orridge is sitting around not having a clue what the hell he is doing is just plain wrong we don't need the cfl to go back to the old days orridge needs to be called out on all this.

ArgoRavi
11-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Yes the league is in a better place now then it was a couple of decades ago thanks to work that was done by Mark Cohen who cleaned up the mess from the other bad commissioners in the past. To ignore and look the other way when Jeffery orridge is sitting around not having a clue what the hell he is doing is just plain wrong we don't need the cfl to go back to the old days orridge needs to be called out on all this.

I liked Cohon but he was the one who saddled Orridge with a lousy drug testing program which had to be fixed. Furthermore, the drops in attendance and TV ratings that have happened over the last two years started with Cohon so I don't understand how Orridge is to blame for those problems. The guy has barely been on the job; give him a chance!

Fumblitis
11-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Maybe deep down, he just didn't want to give it to the Esks. I know I wouldn't have wanted do, and was actually hoping for the WWE to break out and have someone smash it over Chris Jones head.

:DWould have definitely made, "C'mon, Man" on MNF tonight.

argotom
11-30-2015, 10:45 PM
I liked Cohon but he was the one who saddled Orridge with a lousy drug testing program which had to be fixed. Furthermore, the drops in attendance and TV ratings that have happened over the last two years started with Cohon so I don't understand how Orridge is to blame for those problems. The guy has barely been on the job; give him a chance!

All true Ravi.
That's precisely why I wanted Orridge to articulate his vision for the league over the weekend to deal with some of these pressing concerns.
Like many I couldn't believe, double talk of "we are looking into this and we are studying that".
Sounds like a politician to me.
The Williams interview if you want to call it that was pathetic.
On top of which, he looks uncomfortable and public speaking is so far troublesome.
For that position and being the face of the league, I hope there is a drastic metamorphosis in the man.
He has been passive all year long.

Argo57
12-01-2015, 11:33 PM
All true Ravi.
That's precisely why I wanted Orridge to articulate his vision for the league over the weekend to deal with some of these pressing concerns.
Like many I couldn't believe, double talk of "we are looking into this and we are studying that".
Sounds like a politician to me.
The Williams interview if you want to call it that was pathetic.
On top of which, he looks uncomfortable and public speaking is so far troublesome.
For that position and being the face of the league, I hope there is a drastic metamorphosis in the man.

First and lasting impression for me wrong guy for the job.

Rocket
12-02-2015, 10:42 PM
First and lasting impression for me wrong guy for the job.

Yep couldn't agree anymore with you on this one. Let's just hope someone moves in and puts a stop to it and just acknowledge that this was not a good hire and replace him with someone who has a better idea and vision for the cfl.

shayman
12-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Yep couldn't agree anymore with you on this one. Let's just hope someone moves in and puts a stop to it and just acknowledge that this was not a good hire and replace him with someone who has a better idea and vision for the cfl.

I hear Chris Rudge is available. :-)

PullTogether73
12-03-2015, 02:00 PM

Agreed.
I met him and his son as I was leaving the Argos pre-season game at Varsity Centre this season.
Nice enough guy, but he seemed a little socially awkward.
Since he had credentials to get the approval of the B of G, I believe he would be better suited to a behind-the-scenes role, rather than a public role like commissioner.

ArgoGabe22
12-03-2015, 02:03 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being socially awkward. Says the guy who is socially awkward lol

R.J
12-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Bring back Tom Wright!

AngeloV
12-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Bring back Tom Wright!

I say no. I liked him, but working for Dana White can take the good out of anyone.

R.J
12-03-2015, 04:56 PM
I say no. I liked him, but working for Dana White can take the good out of anyone.
At the very least, you've got to think his business contacts have grown.

AngeloV
12-03-2015, 04:57 PM
At the very least, you've got to think his business contacts have grown.

Just as long as his ego hasn't. Seriously though, wouldn't Braley have to be out of the league before that were to happen?

R.J
12-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Just as long as his ego hasn't. Seriously though, wouldn't Braley have to be out of the league before that were to happen?
Might come sooner than we think, although I doubt Braley's going anywhere anytime soon. Also, Braley seems to be losing his tight grip on the league.

Scooter McCray
12-03-2015, 05:26 PM
I was hoping for a strong commissioner who could help expedite things in Vancouver and get a new owner in there sooner rather than later before that team winds up in the same state as the Argos. Braley is just not having much luck building his franchises. BC was something after their last GC win in 2011. I wish he had sold the Lions at peak value then. I'm assuming he is getting some sort of last cut from next years Grey Cup in Toronto, and then that will be it as far as cash cows go for him. Time to move on.

Unfortunately I do not have a good feeling about the new commissioners abilities to get this done and stand up to Braley.

ArgoRavi
12-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Bring back Tom Wright!

Wright did nothing while the Ottawa situation was allowed to deteriorate. I liked him originally as commissioner but his bungling of the Ottawa situation left a bad taste in my mouth.

PullTogether73
12-03-2015, 08:34 PM
I was hoping for a strong commissioner who could help expedite things in Vancouver and get a new owner in there sooner rather than later before that team winds up in the same state as the Argos. Braley is just not having much luck building his franchises. BC was something after their last GC win in 2011. I wish he had sold the Lions at peak value then. I'm assuming he is getting some sort of last cut from next years Grey Cup in Toronto, and then that will be it as far as cash cows go for him. Time to move on.

Unfortunately I do not have a good feeling about the new commissioners abilities to get this done and stand up to Braley.

????
You think a new commissioner is going to force Braley to sell the Lions?
What???

Rocket
12-03-2015, 11:44 PM
????
What???

I don't think orridge is that stupid to get in the way of Braley I think everyone knows what has happened to the last 3 commissioners that tried growing the cfl. Braley loves keeping the league small time and wants to see no growth in the game. Which should sit perfectly fine for a guy like orridge who just took the job to collect a nice pay cheque that he wouldn't be able to get from anywhere else.

ArgoRavi
12-03-2015, 11:53 PM
I suspect that Orridge is the new Chris Rudge to Rocket.

R.J
12-04-2015, 12:43 AM
I suspect that Orridge is the new Chris Rudge to Rocket.
It's been that way for a little while now. Better not bring up the rum hut either.

ArgoGabe22
12-04-2015, 10:17 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Approx.7 months,7 days, 7 hours in new gig.Sorry couldn&#39;t learn everything,do everything, be everywhere, I wanted.Thx 4 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/patience4newguy?src=hash">#patience4newguy</a></p>&mdash; Jeffrey Orridge (@Commish13) <a href="https://twitter.com/Commish13/status/672762529840541696">December 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Scooter McCray
12-04-2015, 12:29 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Approx.7 months,7 days, 7 hours in new gig.Sorry couldn't learn everything,do everything, be everywhere, I wanted.Thx 4 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/patience4newguy?src=hash">#patience4newguy</a></p>— Jeffrey Orridge (@Commish13) <a href="https://twitter.com/Commish13/status/672762529840541696">December 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
Did he really post this? If so, I don't want him to know everything and be everywhere. I want him to have a vision, a detailed plan on how to achieve that vision, and be able to articulate that to the fanbase and other key stakeholders. If his strengths are in social media, then articulate what the league will do to bolster it's image on social media, and how that will translate into greater fan support, sponsorship and revenues for the teams and players. And I am biased when it comes to the Argos. When they were having their hearts ripped out this year due to a lost season, the silence from the league was deafening and showed lack of leadership.

These are what should have been detailed in the interview process to some degree anyway in order to get the job in the first place. The last 7 months should have been about laying the foundation and implementing. Knowing that it is your job to hand the trophy to the team captain is something every commissioner does in every league.

paulwoods13
12-04-2015, 12:56 PM
If his strengths are in social media, then articulate what the league will do to bolster it's image on social media, and how that will translate into greater fan support, sponsorship and revenues for the teams and players.

This tweet, and his twitter stream in general, do not inspire confidence that he is a whiz at social media.

Scooter McCray
12-04-2015, 01:29 PM
????
What???

Not force, but expedite/help the process in Vancouver to get it done and not drag it out as long as the Argo change was. Convince him that the Lions will be better off the sooner the change happens, because the longer it takes, the longer the lame duck and lost seasons will go on. That is not good for the long term health of the league. The commissioner along with the other owners should be able to help the situation along.

This tweet, and his twitter stream in general, do not inspire confidence that he is a whiz at social media.

I want him to succeed, I really do. Because if he doesn't than we have just wasted that much more time to begin to solve the issues of dwindling attendance, viewership, and how we get to a coast to coast league at some point in the future.

I thought Cohon had laid the groundwork such that high quality candidates now wanted the commissioner job for this league. For somebody who is an executive and being paid like one I am finding his responses, preparation, everything so far lacking.

If the way forward is to get into social media, gaming, etc... to attract the younger audience so be it. I need to understand what he knows about this and the way forward etc...If he had articulated that clearly and said follow me everyone to the promised land, I don't think it would bother me as much about the trophy handoff, lack of drug policy, media issues with teams, etc...I don't get the feeling that he is an expert on anything yet. Like alot of other posters, I hope he picks his game up for 2016.

I feel very confident about the Argo situation, and that they are now in capable hands. But in no way should Orridge be taking any responsibility for the turnaround when it comes. That had nothing to do with him. He needs to leverage whatever new found success comes in Toronto and apply that to league wide sponsorship and branding.

On three occasions this year I left voice messages for Mr. Orridge. Never once did I get a reply on phone or email. On a side note the three occasions I called Chris Rudge, he returned my calls each time and spoke with me at length. Chris doesn't know me from Adam.

My messages to Mr Orridge, made it clear that I was a long time fan and season ticket holder of the Argonauts. He could have had a staffer reply to me if he was unavailable. Somehow I don't think I was the only one communicating to him at the depths of our lost season.

R.J
12-04-2015, 01:49 PM
I think all the backlash is getting to Orridge and that's not a good thing.

R.J
12-04-2015, 04:54 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/nielsonTSN1260">@nielsonTSN1260</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Commish13">@Commish13</a> Pretty brutal grammar/tweet formatting for the commissioner of a major sports league.</p>&mdash; Tom Alton (@tom_alton) <a href="https://twitter.com/tom_alton/status/672784429148971008">December 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yes, guess I could blame that on Harvard Law School:) LOL <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/alwayscanbetteryourbest?src=hash">#alwayscanbetteryourbest</a> <a href="https://t.co/zWGX4kGkga">https://t.co/zWGX4kGkga</a></p>&mdash; Jeffrey Orridge (@Commish13) <a href="https://twitter.com/Commish13/status/672786263196340224">December 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

Had a laugh about this one, mainly due to the complaint.

ArgoRavi
12-04-2015, 05:47 PM
We are now evaluating people on the grammar that they use in their tweets? Good gosh.

Argo57
12-04-2015, 06:19 PM
We are now evaluating people on the grammar that they use in their tweets? Good gosh.

I haven't been overly impressed with Orridge but I actually feel bad for the guy, the Sharks are starting to circle which doesn't bode well for his tenure as the Commisioner.

Rocket
12-04-2015, 06:48 PM
I haven't been overly impressed with Orridge but I actually feel bad for the guy, the Sharks are starting to circle which doesn't bode well for his tenure as the Commisioner.

Don't feel bad for orridge at all! How would you like if a company or business came to you and said we would like you to work for us and get $750,000+ salary for the year. And still hold your job after doing absolutely nothing all year long and am sure he will continue to do absolutely nothing in the off season while still collecting a pay cheque.

Rocket
12-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Oh yeah what are these people thinking questioning orridge with bad grammar on his tweet! Lol
It's not like he is supposed to try and represent the cfl in a positive way. Who is with me and thinking orridge should be able to just sit around doing nothing with no clue to running the cfl?

argotom
12-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Did he really post this? If so, I don't want him to know everything and be everywhere. I want him to have a vision, a detailed plan on how to achieve that vision, and be able to articulate that to the fanbase and other key stakeholders. If his strengths are in social media, then articulate what the league will do to bolster it's image on social media, and how that will translate into greater fan support, sponsorship and revenues for the teams and players. And I am biased when it comes to the Argos. When they were having their hearts ripped out this year due to a lost season, the silence from the league was deafening and showed lack of leadership.

These are what should have been detailed in the interview process to some degree anyway in order to get the job in the first place. The last 7 months should have been about laying the foundation and implementing. Knowing that it is your job to hand the trophy to the team captain is something every commissioner does in every league.

I agree with you as I have previously posted the same thing.
Tell me what you want to accomplish during your tenure?
Your evaluation of the league at present?
Also the BOG surely interviewed this guy ad nausea m and had some inclination of his lack of knowledge in the league.
Yet they still hired him, again based on his reported strength in the industry from his previous CBC ties.
I hope they have an out in the contract if this continues going south?

Antwon
12-07-2015, 12:38 PM

I was willing to be patient and see how he grew into the role. Mark Cohen set the bar very high.
But it seems he doesn’t have the thick skin required to be the commissioner.
The sharks circling him are nothing compared to the other commissioners! Maybe he should call Bettman or Goodell for advice.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8