PDA

View Full Version : Two Argos into hall of fame

Will
11-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Derrell Mitchell and Rodney Harding

Hall of fame game to be in Toronto I guess?

paulwoods13
11-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Well deserved for Mookie and Rodney, but another year goes by without Hank Ilesic and Carl Brazley.

AngeloV
11-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Well deserved for Mookie and Rodney, but another year goes by without Hank Ilesic and Carl Brazley.

Yes. Two great players that should have been in YEARS ago. Hank is the best punter over the last 40 years in the league. Jon Ryan was great, but didn't stay in the league long enough to say he was better than Hank who BTW, also has 7 Grey Cup rings.

ArgoGabe22
11-28-2015, 10:44 AM

I don't understand how these older players don't get in over the years but guys like Charles Roberts and Doug Brown seem to get in a little too soon IMO.

1argoholic
11-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Great and two players I loved.

Right on about Hank Ilesic who came right out of high school to kick with Edmonton. I went to an Aussie Rules game at Varsity years ago and Hank out kicked an Aussie guy at halftime. He was the best.

timlb01
11-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Two Argo greats getting in! I do think Hank the Shank and Brazley should get in as well. They were fantastic and Brazley is one of my all time favourites.

ArgoRavi
11-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Hank's continued omission from the Hall of Fame bothers me greatly. He was a better punter than Bob Cameron who has been there for several years already. I just don't get it.

Argo57
11-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Hank's continued omission from the Hall of Fame bothers me greatly. He was a better punter than Bob Cameron who has been there for several years already. I just don't get it.

Ilesic was a phenom coming out of high school and more than lived up to the billing, stunning he isn't in the Hall of Fame.

Al&Kat
12-03-2015, 08:47 PM

Well said, Paul, and so true. Hope that the HOF Game 2016 edition really is at BMO (Bell are you listening?) so we can visit with these two great ex-Argos. Now there's some marketing strategy for you, free-of-charge!
Ilesic and Brazley bring back many great Argo memories, not to mention Ottawa and Edmonton memories too. Here's hoping they do get in, sooner rather than later.

Argo
12-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Ilesic... a scandalous omission from the HOF.
Brazley... superb player. One of my personal favourites across the years.

Will
09-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Harding and Mitchell were each inducted tonight.

argos1873
09-15-2016, 10:11 PM
I often feel that Mitchell went by in the dark days of the Argos. Sure he was there in 1997, and played great in a Grey Cup winning year, but he kept playing great in some very dark years both on and off the field. As a result he didn't get the recognition that he deserved, in general, but I'm glad he got his HOF induction. I also second Ilesic, and Brazley.

Antwon
09-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Congrats to both players!
Rodney Harding was a force on D every game he played!
And Derrell Mitchell was a great receiver. I know he had Flutie throwing to him a few years, but I think his best year, it was Kerwin Bell! And that was not a great team.

1971GreyCup
09-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Great and two players I loved.

Right on about Hank Ilesic who came right out of high school to kick with Edmonton. I went to an Aussie Rules game at Varsity years ago and Hank out kicked an Aussie guy at halftime. He was the best.

I think Hank was still in high school and kicking for Edmonton, too.

1971GreyCup
09-16-2016, 10:00 AM
And Derrell Mitchell was a great receiver. I know he had Flutie throwing to him a few years, but I think his best year, it was Kerwin Bell! And that was not a great team.

I see Doug Flutie is nominated for NFL Hall of Fame this year.

paulwoods13
09-16-2016, 10:28 AM
I see Doug Flutie is nominated for NFL Hall of Fame this year.

It's actually the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL Hall. It covers all of U.S. pro football, of course, including AAFC and AFL, and there are some inductees who began their careers in USFL but were inducted mainly because of NFL performances. I doubt Flutie gets a sniff altho he obviously would be a lock if his CFL time was taken into consideration.

(Ours is the Canadian Football HoF, not the CFL HoF.)

1971GreyCup
09-16-2016, 11:01 AM
It's actually the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL Hall. It covers all of U.S. pro football, of course, including AAFC and AFL, and there are some inductees who began their careers in USFL but were inducted mainly because of NFL performances. I doubt Flutie gets a sniff altho he obviously would be a lock if his CFL time was taken into consideration.

(Ours is the Canadian Football HoF, not the CFL HoF.)

Sorry, Paul but I knowingly changed the name here as I took personal umbrage to their exclusive use of "Pro Football". Understandable why they'd do it, but not being a journalist I took liberties - and got caught out! I saw the reference to Doug Flutie nomination on their website as my son and I are going to the Dawg Pound on Sunday and may swing by their 'Pro Football Hall of Fame." With Argos out of town, it's a good week to catch another local football game in our effort to see all the football stadiums in USA and Canada.

Will
09-16-2016, 11:50 AM

It was a .500 team so, yes, it wasn't great. That team suffered from not having Bell for the first few weeks of the season as well as having little to no running game. The Argos were kinda slipping by the end of that season though.

doubleblue
09-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Ilesic should be in the Hall, one of the best punters in pro football in his era IMO. They were talking on TSN about Kevin Glenn going into the HOF eventually because he will have around 50,000 yards passing, mostly because of his long career. Players like that who play a long time in the League seem to go in over better talented players who are in the League for a short time. But Hank checks off both categories IMO. Long Career and Talented.

AngeloV
09-16-2016, 06:58 PM
Ilesic should be in the Hall, one of the best punters in pro football in his era IMO. They were talking on TSN about Kevin Glenn going into the HOF eventually because he will have around 50,000 yards passing, mostly because of his long career. Players like that who play a long time in the League seem to go in over better talented players who are in the League for a short time. But Hank checks off both categories IMO. Long Career and Talented.

Couldn't agree more. I'm guessing the only reason Bob Cameron is in and he isn't is because of Cameron's QB days at Acadia, but Hank was as you say by far the best punter of his era.

paulwoods13
09-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Believe it or not I think Hank might be paying the price for having talked openly and regularly to Marty York when the guys who ran the league -- Sazio and Kimball -- wanted to shut him out. I can't come up with any good explanation for Brazley to keep getting ignored. Two-time champ, all-star, long career and always came up big when it mattered most. I still believe both guys will eventually get in. It also took way longer than it should have for Dan Ferrone to get picked.

argolio
09-17-2016, 01:38 AM

(Ours is the Canadian Football HoF, not the CFL HoF.)They can call it what they want, but it's really the NFL Hall of Fame. When was the last time someone with no connection to the NFL was inducted? Has there ever been one?

Argo57
09-17-2016, 07:46 AM
They can call it what they want, but it's really the NFL Hall of Fame. When was the last time someone with no connection to the NFL was inducted? Has there ever been one?

You are 100% correct, in the eyes of most Americans (and sadly many Canadians) the only professional football league in the world is the NFL.
If it truly was a "Pro Football Hall of Fame" they would have exhibits honouring all Pro leagues (past and present).

Will
09-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Is Harding the best Argo d-linemen in the modern era? He (for an Argo) has the longevity (1985-1994), I believe played DE and DT in his career and is, I believe, the Argo total sack leader (which only became stat in 1982 mind you).

As for Mookie, he is probably the 2nd greatest receiver in Argo history behind Greer unless we rank Darrell K ahead of him.

paulwoods13
09-17-2016, 10:12 AM
They can call it what they want, but it's really the NFL Hall of Fame. When was the last time someone with no connection to the NFL was inducted? Has there ever been one?

Billy Shaw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Shaw

Argo
09-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Nothing personal, but Kevin Glenn does not belong in the CF HoF.

ArgoRavi
09-17-2016, 01:06 PM

I feel similarly. Yes, he has had a very long career but he has never been close to being the best QB in the league for most of that career. Then again, are there QBs from the past who had similar careers to Glenn who are in the HoF?

argolio
09-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Billy Shaw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_ShawNot buying it. The NFL basically absorbed the AFL's history, and acknowledges all AFL stats as NFL stats. And this guy played four years after the merger was announced.

paulwoods13
09-17-2016, 05:18 PM

No question. You shouldn't get in for longevity. Need to be an actual star for a sustained period.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8