PDA

View Full Version : Grey Cup weekend first for us.

1argoholic
11-29-2015, 02:32 PM
So normally we go to Grey Cup as I've been to 28 Grey Cup cities and parties but missed the game a few times. In the last few years we've missed Sask and Ed due to various reasons. We're not missing again and for a Grey Cup weekend first we hit a deer on the way to the Petes game last night. Good news is the boys beat Oshawa back to back but hitting that deer wasn't fun. We came around a bend going 80 km which is the speed limit on this particular road. My wife yelled deer as I was focused on the headlights coming from the other direction. As I slammed the breaks and swerved left into oncoming traffic to avoid the deer I then had to get back in our lane and just as we stopped we clipped the doe as she crouched to do her last leap. We clipped her hind or hip and our new little Chev Sonic has a broken light cover, dented right quarter panel and bent hood all in the same 8" area. I was 6" to 8" away from missing her. If I hadn't done what I did we would have been wearing 200 lbs of deer. We turned around to check the area and she was nowhere to be seen. I really hope she's fine. I hate seeing all the animal carnage on our local roads.
It was sign sign to not miss Grey Cup. haha.

ArgoGabe22
11-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Luckily you're ok and hopefully the deer carried on with the rest of their day. I know a lot of people who chose to skip Winnipeg.

Argo57
11-29-2015, 06:54 PM
So normally we go to Grey Cup as I've been to 28 Grey Cup cities and parties but missed the game a few times. In the last few years we've missed Sask and Ed due to various reasons. We're not missing again and for a Grey Cup weekend first we hit a deer on the way to the Petes game last night. Good news is the boys beat Oshawa back to back but hitting that deer wasn't fun. We came around a bend going 80 km which is the speed limit on this particular road. My wife yelled deer as I was focused on the headlights coming from the other direction. As I slammed the breaks and swerved left into oncoming traffic to avoid the deer I then had to get back in our lane and just as we stopped we clipped the doe as she crouched to do her last leap. We clipped her hind or hip and our new little Chev Sonic has a broken light cover, dented right quarter panel and bent hood all in the same 8" area. I was 6" to 8" away from missing her. If I hadn't done what I did we would have been wearing 200 lbs of deer. We turned around to check the area and she was nowhere to be seen. I really hope she's fine. I hate seeing all the animal carnage on our local roads.
It was sign sign to not miss Grey Cup. haha.

Glad to hear your ok!

1argoholic
11-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Oh it could have been real bad. We could have been wearing that poor doe.

PullTogether73
11-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Fortunately, your weekend wasn't as bad as the Generals.
I was at their game today where they lost their third this weekend! Ouch!
(3-2 S/O loss to Mississauga in case you're wondering.)

Double Dare
11-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Fortunately, your weekend wasn't as bad as the Generals.
I was at their game today where they lost their third this weekend! Ouch!
(3-2 S/O loss to Mississauga in case you're wondering.)This is worse than a wrecked car, and a close call when it comes to people's/animal's lives???

PullTogether73
11-30-2015, 03:51 PM
This is worse than a wrecked car, and a close call when it comes to people's/animal's lives???

No.
I was referring to Argoholic's comment about the Petes beating the Generals twice, since he is clearly a Petes fan.
But I should have been more clear in that regard.

1argoholic
12-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Hey GreyDragon somehow the Petes have turned the corner and are flying right now. We've only lived in the area for just over two years but got seasons soon as we moved here. We've gotten used to losing to Oshawa already so it was a great surprise to sweep them last week. Petes have won five in a row. No one can figure out how they went from so..so to playing lights out in two weeks. I love CHL hockey. Do you live in Oshawa? I hear it's a great place to watch a game.

PullTogether73
12-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Actually, I only attended my first ever OHL game a few weeks ago!
I had nothing to do on a Friday night and thought that I was long overdue to attend one.
I'm actually located in southwest Scarborough.
I checked on Google maps which was closer to me, Mississauga Steelheads or Oshawa Generals.
Turns out I am essentially equidistant to either (technically Oshawa's General Motors Centre is 2 km closer to me).

I tried the Steelheads first (liked their uniforms a bit better than the Generals. LOL!)
I was shocked at how good was the hockey!
I went to another Steelheads game the next Friday and was again suitably impressed.
Some buddies and I had arranged to meet one of our friends who lives in London last Friday night to watch the Knights play the Owen Sound Attack.
3 games in three weeks!
I am hooked on OHL now.
I like taking in live sporting events - hence my seasons to the Argonauts - and since I gave up on the Leafs back in 2002 (eventually started following the Blackhawks in 2010, which has worked out well. LOL!), I haven't attended many hockey games in the last decade.
OHL is going to replace Toronto Rock in my live sporting events during the winter now.

As for the Generals...
I wanted to check them out in addition to the Steelheads, so I went to last Sunday's game.
Nice arena, double the attendance of the Steelheads, and a long tradition of junior hockey.
As with the Ice Dogs and the Battalion before them, I don't think the Steelheads will survive in Mississauga. I wish them well, but I don't see how such small attendance is sustainable.
Therefore, I will be a Generals fan going forward.

Finally, as for the Petes/Generals games, I figure that in junior hockey, competitiveness will vary in micro-cycles, as players get drafted and move on to the AHL/NHL or become ineligible for junior.
Note that the Generals won the Memorial Cup last year, yet have a losing record this year.
The Petes will have their day.

Sorry for the novel.

Good to hear that you enjoy the Petes enough to buy Seasons!

1argoholic
12-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Big games tonight against Kingston and then in Kingston tomorrow. Petes now just sit two behind them for first. I used to go to Mississauga Icedog games when I lived in Port Credit. Before that my team was The Toronto Marlboroughs growing up. Went to their last game ever at the Gardens. We used to hit a Marlie game in the afternoon and then a Leaf game at night.
Great fun hockey.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8