View Full Version : Paying Respects to Jon Cornish

Al&Kat
12-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Kudos to Jon Cornish, one of the very best "National" players we have ever seen, or will ever see, in our CFL. Jon you were always first class, played with heart, always being patient and generous with the media, and you could actually speak clearly and say things that made sense!

ArgoFans, who has any Cornish memories or stories to share?

mine is from the 2012 Player Awards at the 100th Grey Cup week, at Koerner Hall. Yes the night the Flyin' Hawaiian won the MOP, with Cornish runner-up (but taking home the Canadian MOP), then taking the MOP himself subsequently. As usual, Cornish was generous with the fans, spoke with me and Kat that night for a bit, took a photo with us, etc.

yes I know Cornish was not an Argo, but with guys like him, or Calvillo for another example, ArgoFans must admire what he gave to our CFL, and we thank you Jon for your contributions to our great game.
Personally I respect his retirement decision, though it is obviously a tough one in the circumstances. You have always been a "smarter-than-most" player in my eyes, and I'm sure you have given this full and complete consideration. Best wishes to you for a healthy and prosperous future, from a die-hard Argo fan.

ArgoRavi
12-03-2015, 11:55 PM
He is certainly a character and outstanding player who will be missed.

PullTogether73
12-04-2015, 04:39 AM
I remember at the time of the "clubbing" he took from Kyries Hebert last season that such a dirty hit (imo at least) could end Cornish's career.
Sadly, I was right.
And Hebert got away with a CBA mandated maximum fine which, given the impact of the foul, was laughable.

Still p/o'd about this.

1argoholic
12-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Hebert is a DIRTY PRICK and that was indeed the start of the end of Cornish's career. I'm very glad the Cornish is a very bright guy and he understands that football was a small chapter in his life and he leaves knowing that he showed to be one of the best rb's of all time. I'm glad he isn't headed for more concussions just to prove something. My wife is a huge Stamps fan and they've become the other team I cheer for so we're both sad but happy that he isn't pushing his luck.

jerrym
12-06-2015, 03:38 PM
It's sad to see a such a great career end this way. Cornish ended up second all-time amongst Canadian RBs with 6,844 yards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Cornish) behind only Normie Kwong's 9,022 yards. But for concussions Cornish had a decent chance of breaking Kwong's record the way he was piling up yards in recent years.

ArgoRavi
12-06-2015, 04:35 PM
It's sad to see a such a great career end this way. Cornish ended up second all-time amongst Canadian RBs with 6,844 yards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Cornish) behind only Normie Kwong's 9,022 yards. But for concussions Cornish had a decent chance of breaking Kwong's record the way he was piling up yards in recent years.

Cornish's numbers are similar to the late Willie Burden's, interestingly enough.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8