PDA

View Full Version : Shady things happening at UBC?

ArgoRavi
12-05-2015, 01:22 PM
There is no evidence but others in the CIS are raising the issue: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/birds+four+steps+ahead+their+envious+rivals+sidoo/11567222/story.html?fb_action_ids=10153766744902629&fb_action_types=og.recommends

AngeloV
12-05-2015, 01:37 PM
There is no evidence but others in the CIS are raising the issue: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/birds+four+steps+ahead+their+envious+rivals+sidoo/11567222/story.html?fb_action_ids=10153766744902629&fb_action_types=og.recommends

Funny. I mentioned something about fishy recruiting in this post: http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?3012-CIS-Playoffs/page3&p=73208#post73208

I have mentioned that I was at the Laurier vs York game in the OUA season opener this year. I was talking to a Laurier scout at the game, and asked him about the brutal lack of parity in the league. He agreed with me, and told me that measures have been taken towards shady recruitment processes and that it might take a few years to see a change, but that we will see a change. Nill is obviously a good coach, but there are a lot of good coaches that don't have the success he has had. There has to be some rules being stretched if not altogether broken, and IMO, it really hurts the overall depth and enjoyment level of the CIS. That is likely a big reason people don't follow until the league finals in each division.

JBarnsley
12-05-2015, 02:44 PM
The CIS recruiting rules are ridiculous. Danny Maciocia said it best, you cant tell the big schools to stop doing what they're doing, the small schools have to catch up. If we ever want to see the CIS regularly televised and grow Canadian football at the amateur level, we cant be limiting schools from recruiting big name players. OConnor is now a household name within football families and we need more of those guys in the CIS. I say open up recruiting to keep the Canadian talent playing in Canada.

AngeloV
12-05-2015, 03:02 PM
The CIS recruiting rules are ridiculous. Danny Maciocia said it best, you cant tell the big schools to stop doing what they're doing, the small schools have to catch up. If we ever want to see the CIS regularly televised and grow Canadian football at the amateur level, we cant be limiting schools from recruiting big name players. OConnor is now a household name within football families and we need more of those guys in the CIS. I say open up recruiting to keep the Canadian talent playing in Canada.

You'll never be able to keep all the top Canadian talent in Canada. There is way too much exposure to NCAA football to keep those that feel they have legitimate NFL opportunities to stay and play in the CIS. Yes, the odd CIS player does get an NFL look, but the chances will always be greater if a player plays in the NCAA.

1argoholic
12-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Why has U of T fallen so bad in the last 20 years? Is it strictly that the grade point average to just get in is so bloody high or that the president of the university doesn't give a crap about sport. Two things I've heard over the years. I remember U of T being a CIS powerhouse in football and hockey. Then again I am 53. I remember their last Vanier in front of a huge crowd at Skydome while they beat Calgary in the early 90's.

Found this interesting read below.

http://themedium.ca/sports/u-of-t-struggling-to-fund-varsity-teams

AngeloV
12-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Why has U of T fallen so bad in the last 20 years? Is it strictly that the grade point average to just get in is so bloody high or that the president of the university doesn't give a crap about sport. Two things I've heard over the years. I remember U of T being a CIS powerhouse in football and hockey. Then again I am 53. I remember their last Vanier in front of a huge crowd at Skydome while they beat Calgary in the early 90's.

Found this interesting read below.

http://themedium.ca/sports/u-of-t-struggling-to-fund-varsity-teams

Schools like U of T and Waterloo will not do anything to jeopardize the integrity of the academic values, and good on them for that. Too many other schools turn a blind eye towards it. I for one, would love to know the graduation rate of football players on a school by school basis. A lot of really good GTA players leave Ontario because of the academic standards.

Gill The Thrill
12-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Schools like U of T and Waterloo will not do anything to jeopardize the integrity of the academic values, and good on them for that. Too many other schools turn a blind eye towards it. I for one, would love to know the graduation rate of football players on a school by school basis. A lot of really good GTA players leave Ontario because of the academic standards.

So Queen's, Mac and Western have no standards...that's absolute propaganda used as an excuse by U of T or Waterloo students and alumni as a reason to not try to compete for the best student athletes. Athletes leave the GTA because U of T won't offer them any advantage to progress in athletics and would probably hurt their chances in a sport like football. They've got the facilities, but not the coaching in some sports and not the financial support, or the invested support in morale from administrators for putting out competitive teams. Queen's had a symposium about their sports programs several years ago because they understood that sports could be used as a promoter of all-around school excellence and experience for university students. At U of T, that's an afterthought and the sports teams perform like it...sad, because that was not the case a couple of generations ago.

I also have to laugh at Waterloo and integrity being used in the same sentence. They had to scrap and rebuild their football program after a bunch of guys tested positive for steroids, and that was while their football head coach was Joe Paopao....wow, such integrity. The team was still terrible despite all those players on PED's.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8