PDA

View Full Version : Do we want a first round pick?

Argocister
03-11-2012, 10:45 AM
So Tillman has it out there, that he is looking at all options and may trade one of the Eskies first round picks.
Is there reason for Barker to trade for one? The last couple of years our first round choices don't come back to the CFL
Tillman did mention they were looking to replace Messam..... I am sure Barker won't give up Boyd, but does he offer Kackert? is it worth it?
Just looking to get other opinions.

ArgoRavi
03-11-2012, 02:27 PM
So Tillman has it out there, that he is looking at all options and may trade one of the Eskies first round picks.
Is there reason for Barker to trade for one? The last couple of years our first round choices don't come back to the CFL
Tillman did mention they were looking to replace Messam..... I am sure Barker won't give up Boyd, but does he offer Kackert? is it worth it?
Just looking to get other opinions.

This is a bit of a guessing game in that Barker has to figure out whether the player he really wants will only be available in the first round. I know that Barker is open to trading up in the draft. Also, he has to be wary that the player who he really wants might end up in the NFL instead.

1argoholic
03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I think I'd stay put. I'm sure you can get a solid useful guy at that pick.

jerrym
03-12-2012, 01:04 AM
It all depends what the price is. But considering Argo's record with first round choices, I would favour staying put unless an exceptional deal was available. Also, if the Argos are going to make any run at the Grey Cup this year because it is in Toronto, they will probably need every veteran they have rather than taking a chance on a rookie who may not pan out this year even if he is able to become a starter later. Furthermore, with a truly outstanding player you always run the risk of losing him to the NFL. In a year where we did not host the Grey Cup or already had a strong team with a lot of depth, I would probably be more inclined to make such a trade under the right circumstances.

eiben35
03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I spoke to Tillman at the CFL evaluation camp and he said he was interested in Chad Kackert. Tillman would never give up a first round pick for an American. Only the Arogs would do that. If Barker didn't trade last year's first pick for Steven Jyles and this year's pick for Ricky Ray they could have great non-import receivers. Ladt year they could of had Coehorn or Ianuzzi and this year they could have had Shamazd Chambers. Chambers told me he would love to play in Toronto.

Will
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I spoke to Tillman at the CFL evaluation camp and he said he was interested in Chad Kackert. Tillman would never give up a first round pick for an American. Only the Arogs would do that. If Barker didn't trade last year's first pick for Steven Jyles and this year's pick for Ricky Ray they could have great non-import receivers. Ladt year they could of had Coehorn or Ianuzzi and this year they could have had Shamazd Chambers. Chambers told me he would love to play in Toronto.

While Chambers seems like a very promising talent--acquiring Ray won't cause me to complain about having lost out on him.

Argocister
03-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Looking at the Jan list of recruits, I think the top 6-7 go to the NFL for the big bucks. that includes Chambers.
Of the next group of recruits is there anything that the Argos need for development or back up? it would be interesting to hear what Milanovich has to say about needs on the roster.
Perhaps Justin Cappiocetti, the DL that did well at E camp or Hollohan..... But I don't think we need to trade up to get one of them, or maybe we do. Perhaps a receiver but we have a few developing ..... And I think Feoli- Gudino will prove a successful pick from last year.
Personally, I think keeping Kackert is better for the Argos, but are there any other options for trade?

Nob
03-13-2012, 02:38 PM
The obvious answer is "yes, we would like to have a first round selection". However, I would be just as happy if the Argos increased the number of selections that they have. I think that there are a lot of good players available, which also coincides with the fact that the Argos need a lot more Canadian talent.

A lot of these kids won't play right away, but could help out on specials.

gilthethrill
03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
With the offseason retirement of Bryan Crawford, I would like to see Nathan Riva get picked up in the mid-rounds as a replacement.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8