PDA

View Full Version : Lapo returns to Winnipeg

R.J
12-07-2015, 07:16 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Head Coach Mike O&#39;Shea has found his new Offensive Coordinator. Welcome <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulLaPolice">@PaulLaPolice</a>! <a href="https://t.co/bmc2fQ8L1I">pic.twitter.com/bmc2fQ8L1I</a></p>&mdash; Blue Bombers (@Wpg_BlueBombers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/674015276300562432">December 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argo57
12-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Wow, the only thing missing on this reveal was a paper bag over LaPolice's melon.

OV Argo
12-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Hilarious & so predictable: whaadya know - another classic GOB recycle job - the Bombers are in full desperation move to hire this clown. But look for such an innovative and diverse offence with the the Lapo/Coach's play-book in charge. O'Shea & Walters are, sadly, a couple of clueless CFL trained seals. At least we won't have to listen to this tool and his drivel on TSN anymore (I always left the room or turned the sound down anyways). Good news for other CFL defences as well.

AngeloV
12-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Hilarious & so predictable: whaadya know - another classic GOB recycle job - the Bombers are in full desperation move to hire this clown. But look for such an innovative and diverse offence with the the Lapo/Coach's play-book in charge. O'Shea & Walters are, sadly, a couple of clueless CFL trained seals. At least we won't have to listen to this tool and his drivel on TSN anymore (I always left the room or turned the sound down anyways). Good news for other CFL defences as well.

More predictable is your reaction.

Why is he a clown? I like him, and am going to miss him on the TV broadcasts. Is there anyone without a CIS connection that you do like?

1argoholic
12-07-2015, 08:39 PM
I have to admit I'm totally sick of the recycling of CFL coaches. No issue with LaPolice but just all around the league hopping from team to team numerous times. Hell when does the old Don come back for another kick at the can?

paulwoods13
12-07-2015, 09:13 PM

Why is he a clown? I like him, and am going to miss him on the TV broadcasts. Is there anyone without a CIS connection that you do like?

Duane Forde needs to be named GM for the entire league.

OV Argo
12-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Duane Forde needs to be named GM for the entire league.

I'd prefer Jim Barker or maybe Bart Andrus.

I have to admit I'm totally sick of the recycling of CFL coaches. No issue with LaPolice but just all around the league hopping from team to team numerous times. Hell when does the old Don come back for another kick at the can?

The Don & Wally show combo would produce a CFL dynasty now.

So you like Lapo and I think he's a clown - big deal / get over it. Are there any football coaches out there that you know of other than retread, proven mediocre ex-CFL American ones ?

Fumblitis
12-07-2015, 10:31 PM
I think this gives the Bombers a major upgrade on offence. What are they going to do about that defence?

T-Bone
12-08-2015, 08:22 AM
I like him, and am going to miss him on the TV broadcasts.
So am I. As a newer fan of the game I found his breakdowns and explanations quite helpful.

paulwoods13
12-08-2015, 09:36 AM
LaPo was arguably the best thing TSN had going for it this past season. The panel is getting a bit stale and predictable. LaPo at least brought real analysis of play on the field.

AngeloV
12-08-2015, 09:41 AM
So you like Lapo and I think he's a clown - big deal / get over it. Are there any football coaches out there that you know of other than retread, proven mediocre ex-CFL American ones ?

Get over what? I'm not the one that complains whenever someone I don't approve of gets a job in the CFL. Maybe they should have hired Blake Nill, but the jury is out if he would be successful in the pros without the ability to break recruiting rules.

argotom
12-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Kind of a surprise that Lapo would go to the Peg, as you have to figure this will likely be the last year for O'Shea.
But since all of the coordinators are on one year contracts and move freely each year, I guess it's no big deal.

paulwoods13
12-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Kind of a surprise that Lapo would go to the Peg, as you have to figure this will likely be the last year for O'Shea.
But since all of the coordinators are on one year contracts and move freely each year, I guess it's no big deal.

He's HC-in-waiting if Bombers have a poor start.

OV Argo
12-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Get over what? I'm not the one that complains whenever someone I don't approve of gets a job in the CFL. Maybe they should have hired Blake Nill, but the jury is out if he would be successful in the pros without the ability to break recruiting rules.

You're the one who complains every single time a poster dares to question or criticize one of your favorite Argo players or thinkers; get over/ or understand that these type forums are about varied opinions about football or the CFL - not everyone is going to agree with your opinion. Instead of complaining about a poster's opinion, try going with an informed rebuttal - tell us why Lapo is such a brilliant hire with all this amazing CFL coaching knowledge and success.

ArgoGabe22
12-08-2015, 11:20 AM
LaPolice is surely better than Bellefeuille

OV Argo
12-08-2015, 11:41 AM
LaPolice is surely better than Bellefeuille

Maybe, but i dunno about that. To me, they are pretty well the same - practioners of standard, same old look CFL offence of today; I really doubt you are going to see anything different out of the Bomber offence with Lapo there - it will be QB always in shot-gun, standard 5 pack look with maybe one token NI receiver in that group, with one basic, simple run play used once in awhile as a tendency breaker and mostly pass play-calling (75 % or more) and not much long-bomb or deep passing game.

We should re-visit this thread once the season gets going - to see what the Bomber offence is like and all the innovation & variety Lapo will bring there perhaps?

R.J
12-08-2015, 12:45 PM

Lapo's deal is for two years.

ArgoRavi
12-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Maybe, but i dunno about that. To me, they are pretty well the same - practioners of standard, same old look CFL offence of today; I really doubt you are going to see anything different out of the Bomber offence with Lapo there - it will be QB always in shot-gun, standard 5 pack look with maybe one token NI receiver in that group, with one basic, simple run play used once in awhile as a tendency breaker and mostly pass play-calling (75 % or more) and not much long-bomb or deep passing game.

We should re-visit this thread once the season gets going - to see what the Bomber offence is like and all the innovation & variety Lapo will bring there perhaps?

What recommendation for an offensive coordinator would you make, OV?

AngeloV
12-08-2015, 07:45 PM
You're the one who complains every single time a poster dares to question or criticize one of your favorite Argo players or thinkers; get over/ or understand that these type forums are about varied opinions about football or the CFL - not everyone is going to agree with your opinion.

Did you say varied opinion? Just want to make sure that wasn't a typo on your part.

Instead of complaining about a poster's opinion, try going with an informed rebuttal - tell us why Lapo is such a brilliant hire with all this amazing CFL coaching knowledge and success.

He is the last head coach to take the Bombers to the Grey Cup, and was IMO a scapegoat when the team regressed.

argotom
12-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Lapo's deal is for two years.

I guess with O'Shea on the last year, means Lapo will be back again as the HC?

AngeloV
12-08-2015, 10:46 PM
I guess with O'Shea on the last year, means Lapo will be back again as the HC?

I think it depends on the teams progress. O'Shea being in his 3rd year as a HC now, can't make some of the bad in game decisions that he has the last 2 years anymore. If they somehow go to .500, and that all depends on Drew Willy staying healthy as the record is quite good with him starting and finishing games, then I think he will get extended.

OV Argo
12-08-2015, 10:53 PM
What recommendation for an offensive coordinator would you make, OV?

Stef Ptaszek - won a Vanier as a HC, plus led his team to another appearance there + won a Vanier as OC with Laurier + played several years in the CFL on offence = would be one guy I could think of. Not sure he has any interest whatsoever in leaving a good gig and security in CIS ball; also not sure your typical CFL gob in charge of hiring has ever heard of the guy or would have the slightest interest in him. Hard for him to compete with Marcus Brady type coaching resumes.

Did you say varied opinion? Just want to make sure that wasn't a typo on your part.

He is the last head coach to take the Bombers to the Grey Cup, and was IMO a scapegoat when the team regressed.

Higgins (Ned Flanders), Danny Moochacha , Millanovich and that clown Chamblin have all WON GCs as HCs. They have also faced a lot of scorn / or got fired as CFL HCs = goes with the territory.

Argo57
12-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Stef Ptaszek - won a Vanier as a HC, plus led his team to another appearance there + won a Vanier as OC with Laurier + played several years in the CFL on offence = would be one guy I could think of. Not sure he has any interest whatsoever in leaving a good gig and security in CIS ball; also not sure your typical CFL gob in charge of hiring has ever heard of the guy or would have the slightest interest in him. Hard for him to compete with Marcus Brady type coaching resumes.

Higgins (Ned Flanders), Danny Moochacha , Millanovich and that clown Chamblin have all WON GCs as HCs. They have also faced a lot of scorn / or got fired as CFL HCs = goes with the territory.

Wrong OV
Last summer Argo57 coached his (11 year old son's) flag football team to a stunning victory over Ptaszek's team.
As you can tell Argo57 and his bloated ego is still talking in the third person regarding this game, Ptaszek's actually would be a great choice as a CFL OC as he wouldn't have to face Argo57's complex D.

AngeloV
12-09-2015, 10:24 PM
The thing that some people need to consider is that there is WAY more job security as a CIS coach than there is as a CFL coach. Maybe these guys like their gigs.

Gill The Thrill
12-10-2015, 02:17 AM
The thing that some people need to consider is that there is WAY more job security as a CIS coach than there is as a CFL coach. Maybe these guys like their gigs.If you got kids in school and are University age, the free tuition as an employee at a University is a tremendous reason to keep these gigs, as good as the job security when you stretch that out to 4-6 years.

There have been very successful CIS-CIAU coaches with full control of their football programs that never dreamt of leaving their posts. Larry Haylor and Peter Connellen were two who come to mind and are now retired. It was a big deal when the Ticats got Greg Marshall to leave his coaching gig at Mac to coach in the CFL. I thought he got a raw deal in the end, but nobody can take away his CFL coach of the year award either.

KCargosfan
12-10-2015, 02:25 AM
Like others have stated, I'm sad to see LaPo leave the TSN panel, but glad for him he is back in coaching.

No one could have done much with the bad roster Joe Mack put together in Winnipeg.

Argo57
12-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Like others have stated, I'm sad to see LaPo leave the TSN panel, but glad for him he is back in coaching.

No one could have done much with the bad roster Joe Mack put together in Winnipeg.

LaPolice was in a no win situation, Joe Mack was an embarrassment as a GM.

ArgoRavi
12-10-2015, 01:29 PM
If you got kids in school and are University age, the free tuition as an employee at a University is a tremendous reason to keep these gigs, as good as the job security when you stretch that out to 4-6 years.

There have been very successful CIS-CIAU coaches with full control of their football programs that never dreamt of leaving their posts. Larry Haylor and Peter Connellen were two who come to mind and are now retired. It was a big deal when the Ticats got Greg Marshall to leave his coaching gig at Mac to coach in the CFL. I thought he got a raw deal in the end, but nobody can take away his CFL coach of the year award either.

Greg Marshall's last year and a half in Hamilton did not inspire confidence. Yes, he won coach of the year in 2004 but let's break that year down a little. The Ticats were 9-8-1 that year after going 1-17 the year before. That is a great improvement but who did they beat in '04? Three of their wins were against lowly Ottawa while they beat Winnipeg twice and Calgary twice and neither of those teams made the playoffs either. They only had one win against a winning team that year - the season opener in B.C. - and one win against a .500 team (Edmonton). In hindsight, their drop the next season shouldn't have been surprising.

AngeloV
12-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Greg Marshall's last year and a half in Hamilton did not inspire confidence. Yes, he won coach of the year in 2004 but let's break that year down a little. The Ticats were 9-8-1 that year after going 1-17 the year before. That is a great improvement but who did they beat in '04? Three of their wins were against lowly Ottawa while they beat Winnipeg twice and Calgary twice and neither of those teams made the playoffs either. They only had one win against a winning team that year - the season opener in B.C. - and one win against a .500 team (Edmonton). In hindsight, their drop the next season shouldn't have been surprising.

Nice research Ravi. I am making you an honourary GOB for that.

gilthethrill
12-10-2015, 02:04 PM

I also believe the Cats started 4-0 in 2004 before tailing off.

OV Argo
12-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Greg Marshall (the ex-Ticat HC, now HC at Western) is no Bart Andrus or Dan Hawkins, that's for sure; and his dismal failure with the Ticats as Ravi tries to point out, should suggest that Canadian/CIS guys can't cut it as a coach in the CFL, so bring in more of Andrus or Hawkins types galore, or recycle clowns like Khari Jones or Marcus Brady or Cory Chamblin or that genius Lapo, or Ned Flanders or Marcel Bell-fool or Jacques Chappy over & over & over again - now those type guys have amazing Canadian, er, CFL football knowledge & wisdom and are much more suited to be coaches in the CFL than Marshall or coaches who have years & years of experience and winning resumes in lowly CIS ball. It is the CANADIAN football league after all - so one Canadian coach given a shot for every 50 American ones handed jobs seems about right. Maybe Braley could arrange for Wally to be the HC of all CFL teams, with different assistants, so as just to make things fair?

:D:ohno:

AngeloV
12-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Greg Marshall (the ex-Ticat HC, now HC at Western) is no Bart Andrus or Dan Hawkins, that's for sure; and his dismal failure with the Ticats as Ravi tries to point out, should suggest that Canadian/CIS guys can't cut it as a coach in the CFL, so bring in more of Andrus or Hawkins types galore, or recycle clowns like Khari Jones or Marcus Brady or Cory Chamblin or that genius Lapo, or Ned Flanders or Marcel Bell-fool or Jacques Chappy over & over & over again - now those type guys have amazing Canadian, er, CFL football knowledge & wisdom and are much more suited to be coaches in the CFL than Marshall or coaches who have years & years of experience and winning resumes in lowly CIS ball. It is the CANADIAN football league after all - so one Canadian coach given a shot for every 50 American ones handed jobs seems about right. Maybe Braley could arrange for Wally to be the HC of all CFL teams, with different assistants, so as just to make things fair?

:D:ohno:

You used to cut up Maccioccia too, but now in the CIS he's taken his team to consecutive Vanier Cup appearances. So to summarize what I believe to be your thoughts, unless it's a Canadian coach that you approve of, he's just a good ole boy.

Gill The Thrill
12-10-2015, 05:45 PM
You used to cut up Maccioccia too, but now in the CIS he's taken his team to consecutive Vanier Cup appearances. So to summarize what I believe to be your thoughts, unless it's a Canadian coach that you approve of, he's just a good ole boy.Yes, Maciocia has solidified that University of Montreal program since it was brought back and run by Jacques Dussault. (Is that his name) He did well to build consistent teams but could not get past the Laval hurdle. Maciocia has done that and taken that Carabins program to another level.

It made me wonder what UofT and York are doing with their football programs and whether they're really serious about competing or just participating. A recent Canadian coach, Toronto native Mike Benevides, with CFL experience was just let go last year after spending many years learning from Wally Bouno, an expert on Canadian Football in BC. You figure UofT or York would have jumped at the chance to bring in a local guy who could attract players with his connection to the CFL. Instead they wallow in anonymity, putting out pretty bad teams that can't attract good players for a competitive program. Having 2 terrible OUA football teams in Toronto can't be good for the sport of Canadian football and more specifically the OUA and CIS. If even one of them were more competitive, I'm sure it would help with promotion and advertising for the OUA and for the individual universities themselves.

OV Argo
12-10-2015, 11:59 PM
You used to cut up Maccioccia too, but now in the CIS he's taken his team to consecutive Vanier Cup appearances. So to summarize what I believe to be your thoughts, unless it's a Canadian coach that you approve of, he's just a good ole boy.

NO ! ;o) - GOB membership has nothing to do with birth certificate; O'Shea & Walters in Bummer land have - sadly IMO - signed up for GOB membership and they are Canadians and from CIS backgrounds. GOBs dutifully follow standard CFL operating procedures.

Hey - got any figure/idea on the number of Canadian football coaches who get handed prominent NFL or NCAA coaching gigs? Just wondering.

You a mind reader of something? To summarize your thoughts: let's not hear anything critical of the GOB CFL and it's Americans first leaning - it is what it is and that's just the way it has to be - oh say can you see.

AngeloV
12-11-2015, 09:24 AM
NO ! ;o) - GOB membership has nothing to do with birth certificate; O'Shea & Walters in Bummer land have - sadly IMO - signed up for GOB membership and they are Canadians and from CIS backgrounds. GOBs dutifully follow standard CFL operating procedures.

Hey - got any figure/idea on the number of Canadian football coaches who get handed prominent NFL or NCAA coaching gigs? Just wondering.

You a mind reader of something? To summarize your thoughts: let's not hear anything critical of the GOB CFL and it's Americans first leaning - it is what it is and that's just the way it has to be - oh say can you see.

LOL!!

Thanks for making my morning OV.

Argo
12-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Anything - ideally intentionally - that the CFL can do to assist in the development and success of Canadian coaches, Canadian college football, and CFL officials would be very welcome and good for the league.

argolio
12-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Hey - got any figure/idea on the number of Canadian football coaches who get handed prominent NFL or NCAA coaching gigs? Just wondering.What's that got to do with anything?

OV Argo
12-11-2015, 01:30 PM
What's that got to do with anything?

I said, just wondering.

You don\t find it interesting or notable that the CANADIAN Football League, for decades now, hires all sorts of Americans to key football decision making positions, including a good number over the years who have had ZERO previous experience in Canadian football and it's nuances. Way more Americans in place NOW in the good ole CFL in combined number of GMs, director of personnel, HC. OC, DC and other assistant coaches than there are Canadian football people. And yet there are basically zero, zip, nadda Canadian football people who get considered or hired for key football positions in all of NFL or NCCA ball? - wonder why that is? - Just wondering; and amusing stuff to hear all the rationalizations or excuses as to why more Canadians are not hired by the CFL. ;o)

AngeloV
12-11-2015, 01:46 PM
I said, just wondering.

And yet there are basically zero, zip, nadda Canadian football people who get considered or hired for key football positions in all of NFL or NCCA ball?

I guess you don't consider Tom Dimitroff Canadian because he was born in the States, even though he grew up and played collegiately in Canada? How about Chris Rossetti?

And why would it be as likely that American football programs would be looking for Canadians, when there are likey 50 times more people involved in football to choose from in the U.S.?

I don't have an issue with your supporting Canadian ball players and coaches/managers. My problem is that you seem to insinuate that it is purposely done because of a bias. Then you go and blow off hirings of Canadians (ie in Winnipeg and B.C.) and say that they have to fit in to the GOB club or their out. Almost as if you turn on them once they get the jobs you want them to get.

It's just an interesting way of looking at things, and (surprisingly?), there aren't that many that agree with that point of view.

argolio
12-11-2015, 02:18 PM
I said, just wondering.

You don\t find it interesting or notable that the CANADIAN Football League, for decades now, hires all sorts of Americans to key football decision making positions, including a good number over the years who have had ZERO previous experience in Canadian football and it's nuances. Way more Americans in place NOW in the good ole CFL in combined number of GMs, director of personnel, HC. OC, DC and other assistant coaches than there are Canadian football people. And yet there are basically zero, zip, nadda Canadian football people who get considered or hired for key football positions in all of NFL or NCCA ball? - wonder why that is? - Just wondering; and amusing stuff to hear all the rationalizations or excuses as to why more Canadians are not hired by the CFL. ;o)You can ask the Americans about the last part, I suppose. Don't really care who they hire.

When was the last time the CFL satisfied your ideal for having enough Canadians in those positions? The 50s?

OV Argo
12-11-2015, 03:55 PM
You can ask the Americans about the last part, I suppose. Don't really care who they hire.

When was the last time the CFL satisfied your ideal for having enough Canadians in those positions? The 50s?

I don't care who the Americans hire to coach their NFL or NCAA football teams either.

And there is no "ideal" here - CFL teams need to hire who they see fit to run their football teams - who or why that is I find interesting or questionable however. I'm pointing out some facts here that you and others don't like to hear. Do you care who the CFL hires? - maybe not; would you care if another Canadian business or organization favored mostly Americans and just said - we'll they\re better qualified and we prefer them? - say the police force of a Canadian city hired an American for Chief, and most of the senior officers he hired were Americans and then they went out and hired over 50% American policemen for their force. Would that be OK too?

I wasn't around to follow CFL football in the 50s, so don't really know what the CFL make-up was like, but I know guys like Frank Clair were running CFL teams. I started watching CFL football in the 60s and their have been many fine or successful or dedicated American football coaches in the CFL I believe, and that's swell. Ever heard of Teddy Morris ? If you like the current CFL that is run mostly by Americans and features a majority of American players (over 50% on game rosters and more on PRs), that's swell too. I prefer a CFL that has more Canadian content and because they are plenty of qualified Canadians for the jobs.

I guess you don't consider Tom Dimitroff Canadian because he was born in the States, even though he grew up and played collegiately in Canada? How about Chris Rossetti?

And why would it be as likely that American football programs would be looking for Canadians, when there are likey 50 times more people involved in football to choose from in the U.S.?

I don't have an issue with your supporting Canadian ball players and coaches/managers. My problem is that you seem to insinuate that it is purposely done because of a bias. Then you go and blow off hirings of Canadians (ie in Winnipeg and B.C.) and say that they have to fit in to the GOB club or their out. Almost as if you turn on them once they get the jobs you want them to get.

It's just an interesting way of looking at things, and (surprisingly?), there aren't that many that agree with that point of view.

You honestly BELIEVE there is no CFL bias in favor of American decision makers AND American players ??? - Really ? OK, whatever.

AngeloV
12-11-2015, 04:42 PM
I

You honestly BELIEVE there is no CFL bias in favor of American decision makers AND American players ??? - Really ? OK, whatever.

No I don't. I think teams hire the people they feel gives them the best opportunity to win. It is pro football, and if you don't do that, don't expect to have a job much longer.

OV Argo
12-11-2015, 06:13 PM
No I don't. I think teams hire the people they feel gives them the best opportunity to win. It is pro football, and if you don't do that, don't expect to have a job much longer.

???

The owner of a football team will be out of a job if they don't win lots? What - the guy fires himself as owner?

Guys like Braley and Bob-O Young and Bobby Wetandall, yep, they're real super knowledgeable football people.

AngeloV
12-11-2015, 07:02 PM
???

The owner of a football team will be out of a job if they don't win lots? What - the guy fires himself as owner?

Guys like Braley and Bob-O Young and Bobby Wetandall, yep, they're real super knowledgeable football people.

Now I've heard it all. I honestly thought you were referring to management and coaches being bias against Canadians. Now you are just being ridiculous.

OV Argo
12-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Now I've heard it all. I honestly thought you were referring to management and coaches being bias against Canadians. Now you are just being ridiculous.

Don't the owners hire who is going to run their football team? IF the owners only know or go with what they are told, and they know zip about football to begin with - the established CFL system of Americans first or mostly, that is what you are going to get.

Remember when Don Cherry was owner or in charge or whatever of an OHL team and he decreed he wanted mostly or only Canadian players on his team rather than the trend to bring in all sorts of European players? - not saying that is right or wrong, but it is an example of mindset of the ownership or management of a sports team affecting who gets hired or who plays. Look up Teddy Morris in Argo history to see another example of team leadership/ decision making thinking - now there was some bias - at the opposite end of the CFL scale.

argolio
12-12-2015, 12:33 AM
I prefer a CFL that has more Canadian content and because they are plenty of qualified Canadians for the jobs.Well you're never going to get *that* CFL unless you have a concrete, realistic plan to make it happen.

AngeloV
12-12-2015, 05:33 AM
Remember when Don Cherry was owner or in charge or whatever of an OHL team and he decreed he wanted mostly or only Canadian players on his team rather than the trend to bring in all sorts of European players? - not saying that is right or wrong, but it is an example of mindset of the ownership or management of a sports team affecting who gets hired or who plays.

And that team was so bad, it took Cherry being out of the organization, and changing their stance before they every became decent. Meanwhile, the Brampton Battalion playing 7km away thrived from the beginning of their existence.

It's all about winning. You are not going to hire inferior people based on nationality. If a Canadian is the most qualified, he will get hired. And then apparently become a GOB.

OV Argo
12-12-2015, 12:11 PM
And that team was so bad, it took Cherry being out of the organization, and changing their stance before they every became decent. Meanwhile, the Brampton Battalion playing 7km away thrived from the beginning of their existence.

It's all about winning. You are not going to hire inferior people based on nationality. If a Canadian is the most qualified, he will get hired. And then apparently become a GOB.

Yep - smart teams should not assume based on nationality; unfortunately, that is exactly what your typical CFL gob does all the time and it is a deeply ingrained, systemic CFL thing (Canadians don't play QB, Canadians don;t play D-half, and Canadians don't start at 16 positions (varies per team) per CFL team because the spots are reserved for imports only; and - always max number of imports and minimum number of NIs/Canadians on a CFL roster - these are the predetermined things and sometimes have next to nothing to do with "qualified"; just like getting a CFL coaching gig is often more about who you know and not coaching qualifications) - just IMO - of course you know that, and kudos to you for sticking with your no possible bias belief.

I guess you still don\t know who Teddy Morris was ? - if it's all about winning, he did just that.

OV Argo
12-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Well you're never going to get *that* CFL unless you have a concrete, realistic plan to make it happen.

I don't see how any "plan" is going to make it happen. The CFL already mandates Canadian roster content, and that has been eroded over the years in favor of more American players and your typical gob will be periodically whine and cry-baby about"ratio problems" and lack of Canadian talent; do you think the new American Commish (who is there for supposed business acumen only) is going to campaign for more Canadian players, or try to institute a ratio for the coaching/management side? Don't think so / not a hope in hell there. If anything, changes will bring more American content, but that is not a real "plan", it just is the way the league has been set-up to evolve with mostly Americans running things.

Real change in that regard would have to come from the top down on an individual team. Some maverick or maybe Don Cherry xenophobe type owner or GM could make the changes if that was their plan. Very doubful that will happen, but certainly not impossible (maybe Teddy Morris gets reincarnated ? ;o) )

AngeloV
12-12-2015, 01:01 PM
I guess you still don\t know who Teddy Morris was ? - if it's all about winning, he did just that.

Sorry OV, references from 80 years ago aren't exactly relevant today. You really think Lionel Conacher would have played in both the CFL and NHL today?

OV Argo
12-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Sorry OV, references from 80 years ago aren't exactly relevant today. You really think Lionel Conacher would have played in both the CFL and NHL today?

Maybe so; and Conacher probably would not have played in 2 big pro leagues of today; though both Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson played in both the big pro football & baseball leagues not too long ago.

And sorry, the Morris reference goes straight to the heart of the topic of Canadian content in the CFL today - it's a mind-set/choice matter of a key decision maker that can influence a team - but maybe you can't understand my point there. I was not meaning to suggest that football strategies or thinking from 80 years ago should be applied to today as some formula for success; though some of them might be interesting to see in the modern, same old standard look CFL of today.

argolio
12-12-2015, 05:28 PM
I don't see how any "plan" is going to make it happen.So why are you complaining?

OV Argo
12-12-2015, 05:52 PM
So why are you complaining?

Why is it a complaint and not an observation?; I might like to see the CFL change to way more Canadian content but I'm not about to file some paperwork in the CFL's complaints box and it would do no good even if they had one. If you want just to read just Argo or CFL cheerleading here, you are in the wrong place. Fans comment about all sorts of varied topics here; some like Ray better than Harris at QB or vice versa, or often disagree with the team's coaching decisions - are they just complainers ?

If i want to comment about Lapo as a CFL coaching choice as this thread was about and you don't like it, that's tough. Post your own comments explaining why you think he is so great and stop complaining about opinions you don't like to hear.

argolio
12-14-2015, 06:15 PM
I've seen your posts for 10+ years. Even Stevie Wonder can see it's a longstanding complaint as opposed to some random observation.

Going back to your point in an earlier post about foreigners working in Canada, Canadian organizations often do hire non-Canadians in senior management positions. The TTC currently has a CEO from England and previously had at least one American in that position. Universities consistently hire non-Canadian professors. The Leafs have had two American General Managers in a row, Burke and Lamoriello, and MLSE has a soon-to-be-departing American CEO. If that's the system you want the CFL to emulate, then shouldn't you be a proponent of no CFL roster limits at all, whether National or International?

R.J
12-14-2015, 08:26 PM
If that's the system you want the CFL to emulate, then shouldn't you be a proponent of no CFL roster limits at all, whether National or International?
That would be disastrous for the league IMO. Very few Canadian players would have jobs.

OV Argo
12-14-2015, 08:45 PM
That would be disastrous for the league IMO. Very few Canadian players would have jobs.

And so, what would be wrong with that? The clowns, er, fans, who believe they just want to see the best players get to play and are constantly trotting that thinking out to support no CFL ratio, would say that would be great for the league, wouldn't they? Wouldn't there be more talent in the league if only the gobs could hand more jobs and playing time to even more mediocre American players than we sometimes see now?

Yeah, great example to present that the Toronto Maple Laughs have had 2 American GMs in a row - hilarious.

If other Canadian institutions or businesses handed over control of their enterprises to foreigners and those foreigners said we'll hire or deploy mostly our "people" (well over 50%) and tough luck for you inferior Canadians, what the hell is wrong with that? Good for business? The bottom line rule$ doesn't it?

I've seen your posts for 10+ years. Even Stevie Wonder can see it's a longstanding complaint as opposed to some random observation.

Going back to your point in an earlier post about foreigners working in Canada, Canadian organizations often do hire non-Canadians in senior management positions. The TTC currently has a CEO from England and previously had at least one American in that position. Universities consistently hire non-Canadian professors. The Leafs have had two American General Managers in a row, Burke and Lamoriello, and MLSE has a soon-to-be-departing American CEO. If that's the system you want the CFL to emulate, then shouldn't you be a proponent of no CFL roster limits at all, whether National or International?
\
Hey - do any of these great Canadian organizations you're referring to have well over 50% foreigners in management/calling the shots and plus over 50% foreign employees as well ? The Maple Laughs ??? - what a well run Canadian institution; er, at least they make lot of money.

KCargosfan
12-16-2015, 02:52 AM
I think most of this stems from the fact that in a previous life OVA fought for British Canada in the War of 1812.

argolio
12-16-2015, 06:44 PM
That would be disastrous for the league IMO. Very few Canadian players would have jobs.Which is why I'd be against it.

Hey - do any of these great Canadian organizations you're referring to have well over 50% foreigners in management/calling the shots and plus over 50% foreign employees as well ?.Don't know, don't care. Point is they're free to do so if they want to, assuming it's legally and practically possible.

Going back to your previous post again, a Canadian police force summarily firing half its officers is an example of something that would never happen because said force would get sued up the wazoo (and lose) for firing so many people without just cause. There also isn't a pool of unemployed AND competent American cops waiting somewhere who could seamlessly replace your fired officers.

jerrym
12-24-2015, 10:22 AM
I like him, and am going to miss him on the TV broadcasts.

I like his analysis of games on TV too, but not his coaching.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8