PDA

View Full Version : Foley signs extension

R.J
12-09-2015, 12:39 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> extend Ricky Foley through 2018. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Mike Hogan (@tsnmikehogan) <a href="https://twitter.com/tsnmikehogan/status/674642449311117312">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I for one am happy about this. According to Foley he started off slowly this season, due to off-season issues. Hopefully, with the excitement of the new ownership and stadium, he's ready to go from TC. I have always been a fan of Foley's play on the field, no one has a motor like he does.

Neely2005
12-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Glad to have him back.

AngeloV
12-09-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm happy about it too. I think, though his sack numbers have been down, he has become a more complete player. He didn't like playing in Chris Jones system which often had him drop off on a zone blitz, but he was very good at it. I expect to see Stubler use him in a similar way to Jones.

gilthethrill
12-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm happy about it too. I think, though his sack numbers have been down, he has become a more complete player. He didn't like playing in Chris Jones system which often had him drop off on a zone blitz, but he was very good at it. I expect to see Stubler use him in a similar way to Jones.

You are bang on big guy. I am not fooled by his sack totals. He has only been in double digits in sacks twice in his career. I also look at the amount of tackles a DE makes in a season, a stat that Foley is always high in. Can we assume Stubler wanted him to return?

paulwoods13
12-09-2015, 01:39 PM
I didn't identify him as a priority, and I don't love him as a player, but having him re-signed is a good move as we can "pencil in" a NAT starter. This will be especially important if we lose Laing to the NFL or another CFL team. Waud has starting potential but we don't have a backup ready, altho Walker might develop if he puts on some more meat. I think signing a NAT starting DT should be one of our top priorities this off-season. If not Laing, then one of Hamilton's FAs.

Scooter McCray
12-09-2015, 01:46 PM
How would this DL sound? Okapalaugo, Laing, Laurent and Foley with Waud rotating in. 3 Nationals. Argos could go hard Internationals on offence and crank up the octane offence. We could have an all star Canadian defence: Laing, Laurent, Foley, Waud, Gabriel, Miles, Black, Greenwood.

R.J
12-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Laurent will most likely stay with the Ticats or go home to Montreal. Now obviously if Barker throws in a heap of money the Argonauts would have a chance, but Barker is not known for big FA spending.

paulwoods13
12-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Laurent's a great player, but of all the free agents, he is the one most likely to be way overpaid. Is he worth $200k/season? I bet he gets at least that and quite possibly a lot more. Given the cap is rising only $50k, whatever team he ends up with will have to skimp elsewhere or try to game the system.

Antwon
12-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Nice! Glad to have him back!

OV Argo
12-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Not sure Foley is near as good now as in his prime and may have lost a pass rush step, but he is still a very good DE - with a motor who makes lots of tackles; and he is the real vet and hopefully a leader for a defence that just does not have much CFL experience. Very smart re-sign IMO.

As far as Laurent - be great to get him but he would cost lots of buck$ and Barker has shown very little inclination to go after known CFL FAs (thinking he can find as good or better from the NFL waiver wire or his contacts in the States ? - he is sadly mistaken often in that department IMO and ignoring known quality good CFL players to better your team is stupid). Laing/Waud are a nice NI combo at DT, and Laing leaving would be a big loss IMO; but - there are a few very good looking DT prospects this draft if they want to go there.

BTW - Argos pick a spot earlier this draft than the standings would dictate because the Bombers used a supplemental pick to take Waggoner last draft?

AngeloV
12-09-2015, 04:23 PM
BTW - Argos pick a spot earlier this draft than the standings would dictate because the Bombers used a supplemental pick to take Waggoner last draft?

Are you sure they took him in the first round of the supplemental draft?

**EDIT** Just double checked, and yes they did use their first.

Will
12-09-2015, 04:43 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I like Ricky Foley but I&#39;m not sure he was a player that must be re-signed. I hope this means other guys are offered contracts</p>&mdash; DoubleBlueBlog (@DoubleBlueBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoubleBlueBlog/status/674656603942055937">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

I agree with this tweet, which I think is Gabe (sorry if I put words in his mouth).

I will admit though that much of my prejudice against Foley results from the way his brother has conducted himself online.

R.J
12-09-2015, 05:22 PM
John Bowman just came off a fantastic season at the age of 33 (same age as Foley). Foley's motor is his greatest attribute IMO, I don't think he's done just yet.

paulwoods13
12-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Anwar Stewart just came off a fantastic season at the age of 39. Foley's motor is his greatest attribute IMO, I don't think he's done just yet.

John Bowman?

Fumblitis
12-09-2015, 05:58 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I like Ricky Foley but I&#39;m not sure he was a player that must be re-signed. I hope this means other guys are offered contracts</p>&mdash; DoubleBlueBlog (@DoubleBlueBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoubleBlueBlog/status/674656603942055937">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

I agree with this tweet, which I think is Gabe (sorry if I put words in his mouth).

I will admit though that much of my prejudice against Foley results from the way his brother has conducted himself online.I would think that after losing a step a last year that his contract is incentive laden. But he is a fitness freak and Rich Stublers system might suit him better.

R.J
12-09-2015, 07:20 PM
John Bowman?
Yup, sorry should have said John Bowman, of which he's 33.

argotom
12-09-2015, 10:05 PM
I didn't identify him as a priority, and I don't love him as a player, but having him re-signed is a good move as we can "pencil in" a NAT starter. This will be especially important if we lose Laing to the NFL or another CFL team. Waud has starting potential but we don't have a backup ready, altho Walker might develop if he puts on some more meat. I think signing a NAT starting DT should be one of our top priorities this off-season. If not Laing, then one of Hamilton's FAs.

Yes likewise, I thought Foley's stats have been declining the past two years and he is no longer a force on the rush end position.
Maybe bringing him on the inside may help, but signing a more dominant end via the FA route is the way to go.

R.J
12-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Yes likewise, I thought Foley's stats have been declining the past two years and he is no longer a force on the rush end position.
Maybe bringing him on the inside may help, but signing a more dominant end via the FA route is the way to go.
Foley went from 45 and 8 sacks in 2013 to 54 tackles and 12 sacks in 2014 and 48 tackles and 6 sacks in 2015 and played in one less game.
You really seem to dislike older players.

AngeloV
12-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Again, you can't use stats to judge a guys performance. Argos D-line this year had some 35 sacks, and it was spread out quite well. Foley has done everything asked of him, quite well. I think his contain has improved considerably, and to me, that is every bit as important as getting a sack. I would prefer good contain all game rather than 1 sack a game to inflate personal numbers even if the rest of your game struggles.

Fumblitis
12-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Maybe bringing him on the inside may help, but signing a more dominant end via the FA route is the way to go.Naw I disagree I think you need him on the end because he's got the wheels to chase the ball carriers be it a east/west running back or a QB.

jerrym
12-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Good to see the Argos getting down to business early under the new ownership, especially with the resigning of a frontline Canadian defensive lineman in Foley.

Stevoman
12-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Glad he's back. He had a great season and proved to me that he still has it.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8