PDA

View Full Version : 2015-2016 Offseason Transactions

R.J
12-09-2015, 03:52 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/argos-extend-foley-s-contract-through-2018-1.406595

Also Wednesday, the Argonauts signed Canadian defensive back Marcus Grandison. The Toronto native played for the University of Toronto last season. Contract terms weren't released.

OV Argo
12-09-2015, 09:55 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/argos-extend-foley-s-contract-through-2018-1.406595

Never heard of him - on any CFL draft prospect rankings; any resume on the guy to show what he did at U of T ?

AngeloV
12-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Never heard of him - on any CFL draft prospect rankings; any resume on the guy to show what he did at U of T ?

Stats don't always tell a true story, but here they are.

In 6 games: 23 solo tackles, 5 assisted tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recover, 2 pass break-ups.

http://www.varsityblues.ca/roster.aspx?rp_id=8175

R.J
12-09-2015, 10:21 PM
6'1 and 200-205 lbs, he's got the size and looks like he can play db, safety and olb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jvP6AxgVCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QizWSlMt2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu2rQggVwHk

doubleblue
12-11-2015, 10:11 PM
He seems to have OLBer speed at 4.6 something. Maybe could be depth at safety. Will have to make it on special teams and go from there I would think.

OV Argo
12-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Bio says in year 2 of eligibility. Don't get why he is able to be signed as a FA without going thru the CFL draft?

CFL Prospects December list now out: and 2 UBC players who were prominent in their Vanier run are now added to the top 20 - dual kicker Van Glyswick and safety Loffler (formerly at Boise State) - both seem like excellent CFL prospects IMO; and neither is listed as a 4th year CIS player which I thought was the criterion for being CFL draft eligible, but I guess I don't fully understand the new CFL draft rules.

Also - saw 2 of the top 5 prospects - Michigan State corner Arjen Colquhon, and Iowa receiver Tevan Smith - play in a recent college ball play-off game; matched up against each other frequently too. Colquhon had an excellent game - fumble recovery, nice pass break-up in the end zone (against Smith) and in on some tackles too; Smith was not that prominent till he caught an 80 yard or so TD bomb late in the game. Argos might be able to draft one of those guys (I'd prefer Colquhon in a big area of need), but serious NFL interest might scare off some CFL teams.

doubleblue
12-12-2015, 11:21 AM
I think some of these guys flunk out of school and go and play Junior Football. Or play Junior Ball first before getting their grades up to enroll in University. The CFL counts years in Junior Ball towards the 4 years eligibility. That is my understanding.

WR Llevi Noel played his 4th, this past year, with Windsor AKO Juniors after dropping out of U of Toronto. But he is going to be a good one IMO. Reminds me of former Ottawa Rough Rider star Bo Scott. Hope the Argos can get him.

Wobbler
12-18-2015, 10:53 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> have re-signed Detrick Bonner &amp; LB Akeem Whonder. Also signed WR Jeremy Gallon. <a href="https://t.co/88zWXQ034G">https://t.co/88zWXQ034G</a> <a href="https://t.co/EDOaHa8Ubq">pic.twitter.com/EDOaHa8Ubq</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/677873010099945472">December 18, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
12-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Interested to see what Gallon brings to the table. The "big three" is bigger in terms of height with Spencer being the smaller receiver. It also depends on what happens with Durie and Owens.

Wobbler
12-18-2015, 03:20 PM
I had forgotten that Whonder was hurt all year (and had been thinking of him as PR fodder). Perhaps in 2016 we'll see if he can at least contribute on teams.

gilthethrill
12-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Interested to see what Gallon brings to the table. The "big three" is bigger in terms of height with Spencer being the smaller receiver. It also depends on what happens with Durie and Owens.

I fully expect Durie and Owens to be with the club next year. Can't help but wonder what is going on in the heads of "The Big Three"....I just don't trust any of them to be level headed and could see them try to depart the Argos one way or another.

R.J
12-18-2015, 06:50 PM
I fully expect Durie and Owens to be with the club next year. Can't help but wonder what is going on in the heads of "The Big Three"....I just don't trust any of them to be level headed and could see them try to depart the Argos one way or another.
IMO Durie and Owens' services are no longer required. Spencer, Gallon and Coombs fill the void nicely. I like these moves, I had forgotten about Whonder, but I think he has some potential and Bonner IMO would be an upgrade in our backfield.

Will
12-18-2015, 07:36 PM
I like Coombs, but I am not 100% sold on him to the point where I'd cut Durie loose. Gallon has also proved diddly squat.

doubleblue
12-18-2015, 07:48 PM
I like Coombs, but I am not 100% sold on him to the point where I'd cut Durie loose. Gallon has also proved diddly squat.

Me neither. IMO Coombs will never be able to replace Durie. Has good speed and some moves in the open field, but he can't run through anybody like Durie can. Hopefully Durie has another good injury free year left in him as he is a difference maker in a possible Grey Cup year. The same with Spencer and Owens. The big difference now if they have to go with Coombs and Spencer is the big three receivers that are available. Durie and Owens never had those other weapons to take the heat off them except maybe Childs.

R.J
12-18-2015, 08:15 PM
While I'm a fan of Durie's, I don't think he's healthy enough anymore. Gallon has proven nothing, but both Gallon and Spencer have similar size and style of play to Owens. Durie IMO is much harder to replace than Owens is.

Me neither. IMO Coombs will never be able to replace Durie. Has good speed and some moves in the open field, but he can't run through anybody like Durie can. Hopefully Durie has another good injury free year left in him as he is a difference maker in a possible Grey Cup year. The same with Spencer and Owens. The big difference now if they have to go with Coombs and Spencer is the big three receivers that are available. Durie and Owens never had those other weapons to take the heat off them except maybe Childs.
Owens is not the player he once was and Spencer can perform all the jobs Owens used to. However in saying that, I have mentioned before that if Owens is willing to take a pay cut and actually earn his spot, I'd have no issue with him returning. Likewise with Durie I suppose.

Scooter McCray
12-19-2015, 10:38 AM
With the GC here and the fresh start I would love to see Durie and Owens back. That is a ton of experience and play making ability. If there are other big time receivers alongside them then they no longer need to be what they were and their big play abilities will be huge come playoff time. Owens still made plays in the semi final and his game winning catch against Ottawa is all world.

Argo57
12-19-2015, 10:58 AM
With the GC here and the fresh start I would love to see Durie and Owens back. That is a ton of experience and play making ability. If there are other big time receivers alongside them then they no longer need to be what they were and their big play abilities will be huge come playoff time. Owens still made plays in the semi final and his game winning catch against Ottawa is all world.

Agree regarding Owens, however counting on Durie providing production for the whole season would be a major stretch at this point in his career.

Scooter McCray
12-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Agree regarding Owens, however counting on Durie providing production for the whole season would be a major stretch at this point in his career.

Agreed. That knee injury will be a tough one to overcome, but if anybody can do it, based on the past it is Durie. Platooning him with Coombs and other receivers would make sense to keep him at his best. I would just love to see him go out on his terms, much like Kackert. They have done so much to overcome serious injuries.

1argoholic
12-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Being a Wolverine fan I was pumped to see that we signed Jeremy Gallon. I'll be surprised if he doesn't impress. The guy is a terrific receiver and returner. Love Owens and hope he can still play but you have to look to the future. Plus Durie hopefully comes back healthy as he has all the heart in the world with the injuries he's been through. These are the real tough times for coaches and GM's when evaluating when they think a guy is done or should be replaced. I think Wally and Chris Jones are the harshest in cutting guys loose.

AngeloV
12-20-2015, 08:49 AM

I feel the same way. I just can't get over how people have turned on Owens the way the have. I honestly feel that Owens biggest issue was the fact that an inexperienced QB felt more comfortable throwing the bigger targets in the line up than him. I don't think that a lot of people also realize that Owens led the league in punt return average at 12.6. He is nowhere near washed up. He's also a great leader on the team.

Argo57
12-20-2015, 10:46 AM
I feel the same way. I just can't get over how people have turned on Owens the way the have. I honestly feel that Owens biggest issue was the fact that an inexperienced QB felt more comfortable throwing the bigger targets in the line up than him. I don't think that a lot of people also realize that Owens led the league in punt return average at 12.6. He is nowhere near washed up. He's also a great leader on the team.

I'm with you here Angelo, Owens is still a very good football player and one of the few faces of the franchise.
Cutting him loose at this point would be assinine heading into the new stadium, no doubt he is entering the twilight of his career but he is an important part of Argonaut history that should be part of the new beginning at BMO.

timlb01
12-20-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm with you here Angelo, Owens is still a very good football player and one of the few faces of the franchise.
Cutting him loose at this point would be assinine heading into the new stadium, no doubt he is entering the twilight of his career but he is an important part of Argonaut history that should be part of the new beginning at BMO.

Let's not forget how Don Mathews came in in 1996/97 and found a new way to utilize Pinball. This extended his career along with making him a more valuable player. Owens should be handled the same way and the coaching staff should find new ways to utilize his skill set. He is a very versatile player. He should be an Argo for life even though he is on the downside of his career. As far as Durie.... need to move on. He is constantly injured. I would only bring him back for a significantly lower salary.

ArgoGabe22
12-20-2015, 01:37 PM

I agree with both you and Angelo. Owens still has at least 2 good years left IMO. He's a fitness freak too so he's no slouch.

Kenners
12-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Although I'm pretty new to Argo fandom I agree with this Owens seems to be a great leader with the team, his relationship and dedication with the Argos and even moving to Toronto. I think every great team needs someone like that and he's definitely earned the respect of his teammates. Even when he was injured you see him on the sidelines hyping up the team it's great to see that.

AngeloV
12-20-2015, 05:49 PM
It also can't be overlooked how marketable Owens is. He seems to be at every media event in the city promoting the team.

As for Durie, Barker already stated that his salary will need to be re-structured. I've said this before, but I don't believe in the term injury prone. He's just had some bad luck. Anyone that came back from his horrific injury and played 4 or 5 seasons without getting injured shouldn't be deemed injury prone because he's had 2 unlucky seasons.

Personally, I hope the Argos look for a Canadian RB for depth and move Coombs back to RB as the starter. This would allow them to get Coombs, Owens, Spencer, Durie and 2 of the big 3 receivers on the field at the same time.

ArgoZ
12-20-2015, 07:44 PM
It also can't be overlooked how marketable Owens is. He seems to be at every media event in the city promoting the team.

As for Durie, Barker already stated that his salary will need to be re-structured. I've said this before, but I don't believe in the term injury prone. He's just had some bad luck. Anyone that came back from his horrific injury and played 4 or 5 seasons without getting injured shouldn't be deemed injury prone because he's had 2 unlucky seasons.

Personally, I hope the Argos look for a Canadian RB for depth and move Coombs back to RB as the starter. This would allow them to get Coombs, Owens, Spencer, Durie and 2 of the big 3 receivers on the field at the same time.

I agree. Owens in the most recognizable Argonaut in this city. I even bought his hat. At a crucial marketing time in the organization, it's worth keeping him around no matter what his statistics are. The Argos can not afford to not have him. I do expect an improved season for him with Ray at QB. Coombs and Spencer are becoming exciting players too. I look forward to seeing them contribute even more in 2016.

Kenners
12-20-2015, 10:33 PM
I agree. Owens in the most recognizable Argonaut in this city. I even bought his hat. At a crucial marketing time in the organization, it's worth keeping him around no matter what his statistics are. The Argos can not afford to not have him. I do expect an improved season for him with Ray at QB. Coombs and Spencer are becoming exciting players too. I look forward to seeing them contribute even more in 2016.

I mentioned this in the Argos Merch post, his hat is still the best lookin' Argos hat, if not the best lookin' CFL hat. Moment I saw it, I had to grab it. People I know who know nothing about the Argos, and even less about the CFL asked me the other night "Argos have that Hawaiian guy, right?".... He's definitely a great face for the organization.

jerrym
12-23-2015, 12:01 PM
More info on the Bonner, Whonder and Gallon signings.

The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the club has re-signed international DB Detrick Bonner and national LB Akeem Whonder, and signed international WR Jeremy Gallon.
Bonner, a 6-1, 206-pound, native of McDonough, Georgia returns to Toronto after finishing the 2015 season on the Argonauts practice roster. He signed August 19 of this season and played in four games with the club. Prior to signing with the Argos, the Virgina Tech product attended rookie mini-camp with the NFL’s Carolina Panthers. As a senior with the Hokies, Bonner registered 72 tackles, including 7.5 for a loss and 3.5 sacks, one interceptions, a forced fumble, two quarterback hurries and four pass breakups.
Whonder, a 5-11, 224-pound native of Mississauga, Ontario, returns to the Boatmen after spending 2015 training camp with the Club. He endured a season-ending knee injury during the team’s second pre-season game on June 18 versus Montreal. Prior to signing with Toronto ahead of the 2015 season, he spent the 2014 season on the Calgary Stampeders practice roster. In 37 games over five seasons at the University of Windsor, Whonder notched 175 defensive tackles, eight quarterback sacks, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and an interception with the Lancers. ...
Gallon, a 5-9, 187-pound native of Apopka, Florida, arrives in Toronto after spending time in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and the New England Patriots. The Patriots chose him in the seventh round (244th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft. The University of Michigan product finished his NCAA career with 173 receptions for 2,704 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns while adding 79 returns for a total of 661 yards over four seasons with the Wolverines. The 2013 second-team Big Ten selection set the Michigan record for receiving yards in a single season (1,373) and the Big Ten record for receiving yards in a single-game (369).

http://www.argonauts.ca/2015/12/18/argos-add-bonner-whonder-and-gallon/

R.J
12-23-2015, 01:09 PM
^ That information has been posted by Wobbler already, who posted the exact same url ink.

R.J
02-04-2016, 04:05 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/02/04/argonauts-add-pair-to-backfield/

Re-sign josey; sign RB Michael dyer; LB Rolle retires.
Not a fan of the Josey re-signing.

AngeloV
02-04-2016, 04:50 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/02/04/argonauts-add-pair-to-backfield/

Re-sign josey; sign RB Michael dyer; LB Rolle retires.
Not a fan of the Josey re-signing.

No problem with the Josey signing on my part. If he hasn't improved, they cut him. A lot of good players looked bad in the first CFL year, got cut and turned into good players elsewhere.

Will
02-04-2016, 05:28 PM
No problem with the Josey signing on my part. If he hasn't improved, they cut him. A lot of good players looked bad in the first CFL year, got cut and turned into good players elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm OK with it for this reason.

paulwoods13
02-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Because Josey failed to impress in his handful of appearances last season (16 carries, 4 receptions, 11 KO returns -- what a big sample size!) of course he's CRAP.

Neely2005
02-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I mentioned this in the Argos Merch post, his hat is still the best lookin' Argos hat, if not the best lookin' CFL hat. Moment I saw it, I had to grab it. People I know who know nothing about the Argos, and even less about the CFL asked me the other night "Argos have that Hawaiian guy, right?".... He's definitely a great face for the organization.

Lol it's interesting that you say that, my wife had the exact opposite reaction. Said it was to plain and boring, was like really Chad, that's what you came up with? To each their own I guess.
:-)

R.J
02-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Because Josey failed to impress in his handful of appearances last season (16 carries, 4 receptions, 11 KO returns -- what a big sample size!) of course he's CRAP.
Sorry, but I take issue with a running back who can't run between tackles.

Wobbler
02-04-2016, 06:04 PM
I forgot to leave a "re-direct", but I merged SnowRogue's new player movement thread with the older transactions thread.

I'm happy to see Smith back. It will be disappointing if a younger guy will take away his job in camp, but until that time he should be on the team. Josey will need to show improvement in his second camp, but I see no reason not to give him the opportunity.

R.J
02-04-2016, 06:06 PM
I forgot to leave a "re-direct", but I merged SnowRogue's new player movement thread with the older transactions thread.

I'm happy to see Smith back. It will be disappointing if a younger guy will take away his job in camp, but until that time he should be on the team. Josey will need to show improvement in his second camp, but I see no reason not to give him the opportunity.
Sorry Wobbler; I had completely forgotten about this thread; I should have just posted it here.

Will
02-08-2016, 01:02 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/02/08/argos-sign-two-on-defence/

The Argos have signed:

LB Kannoris Davis
DL Trevardo Williams

paulwoods13
02-08-2016, 01:15 PM

So do I, but he had 16 carries. Are you really certain he can't run between tackles, based on that? We all thought Jeremiah Johnson ran to avoid contact when we had him. Lo and behold it turned out he actually could be an effective ball carrier. What's the downside of seeing if Josey gets it better in his second season? If he doesn't, we cut him. It's not as if his contract is depriving of us some stud we'd otherwise love. He'll be one of 75 contracts heading into training camp.

doubleblue
02-08-2016, 01:44 PM

I didn't see anything from Josey either that would suggest he can become a starting RB in the CFL. Too small and didn't show he had the toughness to block the DE's and LB's that MIlanovich's offence requires. He might have some value as a returner but in the CFL that's taking up a valuable import spot if he can't contribute at RB or SB. The Argos already have a guy like him in Coombes. That's my opinion anyway.

OV Argo
02-08-2016, 01:54 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This: some players can emerge as very good in a 2nd shot or try-out. However, CFL TCs are limited in # of players and some times players who haven't done much are going to get released for some new or fresh talent. We'll see if the Argos recruit any new RB talent to compete at TC - maybe they can't find anyone they think has as much talent or is a possible fit for their offence. Put me down as totally unimpressed by what I saw of Josey though.

OV Argo
02-08-2016, 02:01 PM

The Argos have signed:

LB Kannoris Davis
DL Trevardo Williams

Nice resumes on those 2 players, especially the DE Williams - bring on the TC competition !

Barker continues his scouting via the NFL waiver wire mode; not that there is anything wrong with that; I just hope he can make a couple of known CFL FA signings from a huge selection there this year, plus draft smartly to get some more talent for TC. Way too much emphasis on one source of personnel recruiting while ignoring or having little respect for other players sources = myopic / not smart GMing.

jerrym
02-08-2016, 03:18 PM
The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the club has signed international linebacker Kanorris Davis and international defensive lineman Trevardo Williams.
Davis, a 5-10, 203-pound native of Perry, Georgia played four seasons at Troy University. In 45 games with the Trojans, he registered 207 defensive tackles (159 solo, 48 assisted), 18 tackles for a loss, 10 forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one pass knockdown. The 2011 All-Sun Belt Honorable Mention spent the 2013 NFL season with the New England Patriots.
Williams, a 6-1, 235-pound native of Bridgeport, Connecticut comes to Toronto following stints in the NFL with the Washington Redskins, Arizona Cardinals, Indianapolis Colts and Houston Texans, who selected him in the fourth round (124th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft. The two-time All-Big East selection and the Huskies 2012 Defensive Player of the Year registered 131 defensive tackles (84 solo, 47 assisted), 30.5 sacks and a forced fumble in four seasons at Connecticut.

Wobbler
02-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Minor signings belong here in the OT thread, jerry. And AF87 already reported this one, actually.

Will
02-08-2016, 03:41 PM
jerrym,

Please use the search feature to check if something has been posted before you re-post it

thanks

Will
02-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Trevardo Williams signs with Argonauts.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Former-Texans-linebacker-Trevardo-Williams-joins-6817831.php?t=48f4d18257438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

That news has already been posted.

R.J
02-12-2016, 02:23 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> also announce team has released international receiver Jarred Fayson. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos">@TorontoArgos</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/698222367726792709">February 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
02-16-2016, 03:58 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stickin&#39; around!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> re-sign DB Isaiah Green.<br><br>➡️ <a href="https://t.co/R10Vw18oNA">https://t.co/R10Vw18oNA</a><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLFA?src=hash">#CFLFA</a> <a href="https://t.co/rXfvenPaMu">pic.twitter.com/rXfvenPaMu</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/699696814639988737">February 16, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We haven't seen much of Green yet, so I don't really have an opinion about him.

R.J
02-19-2016, 12:14 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/02/19/argos-add-three-2/

The Toronto Argonauts have signed 2015 CFL Draft pick Dan MacDonald as well as international defensive lineman Javoddren Copeland and international defensive back Jordan Sullen, the team announced today.

MacDonald, a 5-10, 215-pound, native of Burlington, Ontario spent the last five seasons at the University of Guelph, primarily as a long snapper. The 2015 Yates Cup Champion attended training camp with the Argonauts last season after being selected in the 56th overall in the 2015 CFL Draft.

Javoddren Copeland, a 6-1, 270-pound native of Perry, Georgia previously spent time with the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys and New York Jets.

The Louisiana State product played 42 games over four seasons as a fullback with the Tigers, registering 36 carries for 92 yards and seven touchdowns while adding seven receptions for 85 yards.

Sullen, a 5-11, 200-pound native of New Orleans, Louisiana, participated in rookie camp with the Jordan SullenArgonauts in 2015 prior to spending training camp with the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers last season.

Following his collegiate career at Tulane, he also had stints with the NFL’s Chicago Bears and Denver Broncos in 2014. In four seasons at Tulane, he racked up 96 tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss, three interceptions, one forced fumble and 20 pass breakups while also returning 36 kickoffs for 720 yards.

R.J
04-01-2016, 09:55 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/04/01/argos-sign-two-defence/

The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the team has signed international defensive lineman Steve Miller and international linebacker Marquis Spruill.

Miller, a 6-3, 256-pound native of Canton, Ohio played four seasons at Ohio State. He registered 37 tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss, one sack, one forced fumble and an interception which he returned 42 yards for a touchdown with the Buckeyes as a senior. The 2015 CFP National Champion spent training camp with the Carolina Panthers last season.

Spruill, a 6-1, 224-pound native of Hillside, New Jersey finished his NCAA career with 243 defensive tackles (160 solo, 83 assisted), 41 tackles for a loss of 175 yards, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and four pass knockdowns in 51 games over four seasons at Syracuse. The 2012 All-Big East selection and 2013 All-ACC Honorable mention was selected by the Atlanta Falcons in the fifth round (168th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft.

KCargosfan
04-02-2016, 01:28 AM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/04/01/argos-sign-two-defence/

Never heard of either of these guys.

Rich
04-02-2016, 04:25 AM
Marcus Spruill's got a great highlight reel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQD5qI2uBBU).

He reminds me a bit of a taller Michael Fletcher. Real nose for the ball, hits hard. Great resume too. I'm excited about this kid.

ArgoRavi
04-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Marcus Spruill's got a great highlight reel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQD5qI2uBBU).

He reminds me a bit of a taller Michael Fletcher. Real nose for the ball, hits hard. Great resume too. I'm excited about this kid.

He was a fifth round NFL pick only two short years ago but then suffered a knee injury that put his NFL career off the rails. He could be one to watch in camp this year.

OV Argo
04-02-2016, 03:35 PM

Yeah - seems like a real nice signing at a position (MLB) that is up for grabs. I hope this guy is fully recovered from the knee injury that derailed his NFL chances. We shall see in TC I guess.

I keep thinking the Argos might sign Juwan Simpson still (or maybe another CFL experienced LB like Curran), and there's still lots of time to do so before TC; but maybe they just bring in a few new young guys to compete for the job - bring on the TC competition.

jerrym
04-06-2016, 02:01 AM
Marquis Spruill looks like he has a good chance of making the team.

As confirmed by argonauts.ca (http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/04/01/argos-sign-two-defence/), they have signed linebacker Marquis Spruill (http://www.argonauts.ca/players/183334/) and defensive lineman Steve Miller (http://www.argonauts.ca/players/183337/).
Of the two international players, Spruill appears to be the more intriguing addition to the Argonauts roster. This move represents a chance for him to get his career back on track.

Spruill was drafted out of Syracuse University, where he recorded 243 tackles, including 41 for a loss (second most in program history) (http://cuse.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9117), three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and four pass defenses. During his four-year college career, he was a 2011 All-BIG EAST Second Team selection and 2013 All-ACC Honorable mention.
Picking the 24-year old this high was considered a surprise. However, several analysts did say he was underrated as an excellent athlete, who ran a 4.53 40 at his pro day and could develop in the right system.
Unfortunately for Spruill, his NFL career was sidetracked almost as soon as it started. He suffered a season-ending ACL tear in August 2014, and was placed on injured reserve.

https://tipofthetower.com/2016/04/04/toronto-argonauts-can-marquis-spruill-get-his-career-back-on-track/

Reggiemac
04-06-2016, 04:37 PM
The argos announced his signing yesterday. Checked his youtube hilites and was impressed. Loves to hit and seems to have speed. Cant figure out how to post the link but check him out. Marquis Spruill football youtube.

R.J
04-11-2016, 03:49 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/04/11/argos-add-three-to-roster/

The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the club has signed three international players to their roster: defensive back Manuel Asprilla, defensive lineman Paul Hazel and receiver Da’Rick Rogers.

Asprilla, a 5-11, 183-pound native of Cambridge, Massachusetts notched 201 tackles, 15 tackles for a loss, one sack, four interceptions, two forced fumbles and 27 pass breakups in 46 games over four seasons at Boston College. He attended training camp with the NFL’s San Diego Chargers before spending last fall with the Brooklyn Bolts of the Fall Experimental Football League.

Hazel, a 6-5, 227-pound native of Miami, Florida, had stints with the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns and New York Giants over the last three seasons. The product of Western Michigan compiled 104 tackles (55 solo, 49 assisted), 24 tackles for a loss, 17.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, six pass breakups and one blocked kick in four seasons with the Broncos.

Rogers, a 6-3, 217-pound native of Atlanta, Georgia split his collegiate career between Tennessee Tech and the University of Tennessee, registering a total of 139 receptions for 2,100 yards and 21 touchdowns while rushing 20 times for 154 yards. He spent time with the NFL’s Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts and Kansas City Chiefs over the last three seasons.

Treblecharger1
04-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Rogers is a great player... Watched him a couple of times when he was with the Bills.

Reggiemac
04-12-2016, 12:42 PM
I like what I saw about Rogers on youtube he and LB Spruill could turn out to be very big in the argos scheme. Looking like a very competitive camp coming up.

OV Argo
04-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Newcomers like Rogers and Gallon at receiver might have a tough time beating out the big 3 of last year + Spencer for some playing time, but lots of TC competition is a very good sign.

argolio
04-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Some intriguing receiver prospects in addition to what we already have. Just hope we can pass protect well this year.

Rich
04-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Newcomers like Rogers and Gallon at receiver might have a tough time beating out the big 3 of last year + Spencer for some playing time, but lots of TC competition is a very good sign.

Yeah some amazing talent at WR this year, in addition to the two big rookies don't forget Phil Bates had a great game last year, and Kenny Shaw is still on the roster, I think he's a great receiver who didn't get much of a chance to show his stuff last year. If one of these guys can play as well but with more discipline than Hazelton, then that's one vet who's gotta be on the bubble. I was sick of his stupid penalties last year.

Argo57
04-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Yeah some amazing talent at WR this year, in addition to the two big rookies don't forget Phil Bates had a great game last year, and Kenny Shaw is still on the roster, I think he's a great receiver who didn't get much of a chance to show his stuff last year. If one of these guys can play as well but with more discipline than Hazelton, then that's one vet who's gotta be on the bubble. I was sick of his stupid penalties last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 1 of the "big 3" lose their jobs in camp, signifies improvement at that position.
Hopefully we see a little more speed overall as well.
Ray is back in at QB so any chemistry developed with Harris means squat moving forward.

OV Argo
04-15-2016, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if at least 1 of the "big 3" lose their jobs in camp, signifies improvement at that position.
Ray is back in at QB so any chemistry developed with Harris means squat moving forward.

Not sure how many import receivers they can carry; but if 2 of the big 3 still start, and Spencer replaces Owens, that would leave maybe only 1 or 2 spots for all the rest of the import receivers to fight for = should be great TC competition; and hopefully a healthy Ricky Ray throwing to a very talented receiving corps (including Durie/Coombs) will mean a very dangerous passing attack. Agree with Rich that Hazelton might be a candidate to get cut - he was only OK IMO last year, and didn't like his attitude/penalties; but he has some talent and could improve.

Also might mean little need to draft a receiver (with a higher pick anyways) - if it's going to be mostly imports manning the receiver position. It would be a mistake IMO to use a top draft pick on one of the very good receiver crop this draft if the guy is only thought of as a back-up / long-range depth player. Giving a top draft pick a real shot to compete for playing time is another matter - love to see a huge, physical slotback type (like Jones or Brescacin this draft) become a fixture in the offence, to go with some smaller, speedy receivers; Gurley has that kind of size but was not used that way.

Argo
04-18-2016, 10:51 PM

IIRC, the Big Three shrunk considerably during the latter portion of the season.

jerrym
04-18-2016, 11:38 PM
With all the competition among receivers and the relatively large number of Nationals starting on defence, I could not only see only of the Big Three not making it, but Durie, who will be 35 in July and often injured in the last couple of years, might not make the roster either, as much as I love his gung-ho attitude as YAC man. Last year Coombs caught 57 passes for 486 yards, possibly making Durie expendable.

Wobbler
04-19-2016, 01:30 AM
There are many ways to gain yards, but I don't think we have a replacement for Durie. If he can play, it's AD's spot.

paulwoods13
04-19-2016, 08:18 AM
With all the competition among receivers and the relatively large number of Nationals starting on defence, I could not only see only of the Big Three not making it, but Durie, who will be 35 in July and often injured in the last couple of years, might not make the roster either, as much as I love his gung-ho attitude as YAC man. Last year Coombs caught 57 passes for 486 yards, possibly making Durie expendable.

Not making the roster? That would suggest that not only can't he beat out Coombs, he also isn't as good as our next-best NAT receiver. If he's healthy, there is no way that's the case.

AngeloV
04-19-2016, 09:13 AM
There are many ways to gain yards, but I don't think we have a replacement for Durie. If he can play, it's AD's spot.

That's the way I feel. There is also no doubt in my mind that he can still play.

R.J
04-19-2016, 10:25 AM
That's the way I feel. There is also no doubt in my mind that he can still play.
but can he stay healthy ?

paulwoods13
04-19-2016, 10:32 AM

It's a fair question but IIRC the injuries he's had the last two seasons were not related to one another. If it was a case of he injured a knee, then reinjured it, there'd be grounds for deep concern. But I believe he suffered two discrete injuries that could have happened to anyone. If he suffers yet another season-ending injury, no doubt his career will be over. But I'm expecting him to play, and at a very high level, until evidence suggests he can't.

AngeloV
04-19-2016, 11:15 AM

I've never bought into the injury prone theory about any player. Any player can get hurt at any time. That's why teams need adequate depth.

Scooter McCray
04-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Durie keeps himself in great shape. Given his age, and that another GC will played here this year, I have no doubt he will be all in, on conditioning, attitude, heart and drive. He has nothing left to lose. Another serious injury and it is a career. He will pin his ears back and go for it with reckless abandon. Barring an unlucky injury he will probably have the best year of his career with a healthy Ricky Ray. If that happens he will also be a strong candidate for Outstanding Canadian in the league and finish his career on a high note. My hopes are the same for Chad Kackert as well in some role rotating in or dual backfield with Whitaker.

R.J
04-19-2016, 12:22 PM
It's a fair question but IIRC the injuries he's had the last two seasons were not related to one another. If it was a case of he injured a knee, then reinjured it, there'd be grounds for deep concern. But I believe he suffered two discrete injuries that could have happened to anyone. If he suffers yet another season-ending injury, no doubt his career will be over. But I'm expecting him to play, and at a very high level, until evidence suggests he can't.
Durie broke his collar bone twice in 2014 and injured his knee twice in 2015. I see a trend.

I've never bought into the injury prone theory about any player. Any player can get hurt at any time. That's why teams need adequate depth.
Durie will be 35 just after the start of the 2016 season. The likelihood of him staying healthy is very low. Durie has been running into injury problems the last couple of seasons and at his age I don't think it will suddenly stop.

Durie keeps himself in great shape. Given his age, and that another GC will played here this year, I have no doubt he will be all in, on conditioning, attitude, heart and drive. He has nothing left to lose. Another serious injury and it is a career. He will pin his ears back and go for it with reckless abandon. Barring an unlucky injury he will probably have the best year of his career with a healthy Ricky Ray. If that happens he will also be a strong candidate for Outstanding Canadian in the league and finish his career on a high note. My hopes are the same for Chad Kackert as well in some role rotating in or dual backfield with Whitaker.
Good on ya for trying to be super positive; personally I like the realistic approach.

Scooter McCray
04-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Absolutely. There are alot of maybe's in what I was saying. He has yet to stay healthy for a season in quite some time. At his age it will not be easy, especially with the way he picks up YAC yards. That exposes him to multiple times more hits, and out of position hits which will cause the injuries.

But that is also why they have Coombs on the roster. I say let Durie go for it, spell him with Coombs and hope for the best. If he goes down, Coombs can be a solid contributor.

paulwoods13
04-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Durie broke his collar bone twice in 2014 and injured his knee twice in 2015. I see a trend.

I don't know anything about two knee injuries in 2015. As far as I know the first one -- torn ACL -- ended his season. He did injure the same clavicle twice, but in two different places, in 2014. I've not seen anything that definitively suggests the second injury was related to or caused by the first, altho it's certainly possible. So he has injured two separate parts of his body in back-to-back years. If there's a trend, I guess it's that he has recently missed a lot of games due to injury. He also missed a lot of games due to injury in his college career, but he made it back to become a productive player. He's older now and probably facing slower healing and greater body degeneration. It's entirely possible -- as it is for every player on every field -- that one fluky play could end his career. But anyone who showed as much determination as he did after the York injury (and while rehabbing the clavicle during and after the 2014 season) should not be counted out prematurely.

R.J
04-19-2016, 01:52 PM
I don't know anything about two knee injuries in 2015. As far as I know the first one -- torn ACL -- ended his season. He did injure the same clavicle twice, but in two different places, in 2014. I've not seen anything that definitively suggests the second injury was related to or caused by the first, altho it's certainly possible. So he has injured two separate parts of his body in back-to-back years. If there's a trend, I guess it's that he has recently missed a lot of games due to injury. He also missed a lot of games due to injury in his college career, but he made it back to become a productive player. He's older now and probably facing slower healing and greater body degeneration. It's entirely possible -- as it is for every player on every field -- that one fluky play could end his career. But anyone who showed as much determination as he did after the York injury (and while rehabbing the clavicle during and after the 2014 season) should not be counted out prematurely.
Durie tweaked his knee or leg within the first few games, so maybe saying injuries was a little much, but maybe that was the start of what would eventually turn into the acl tear (not sure as I'm no doctor). The trend = injuries are starting to become a regular occurrence. Yes Durie should be commended for playing football again after destroying his knee while playing at York, but he's going to be 35 not 22 there's a massive difference there. Durie is a very good player when healthy, but the odds of him regaining form and having a healthy all star season are unlikely.

This situation brings to mind keeping Kackert around, which IMO is a head scratchier to say the least (according to Milanovich - Barker and Kackert a talking contract). Sometimes teams have to let players go - Barker did it with Owens, maybe it's time to do the same with Durie and Kacket.

paulwoods13
04-19-2016, 02:08 PM
This situation brings to mind keeping Kackert around, which IMO is a head scratchier to say the least (according to Milanovich - Barker and Kackert a talking contract). Sometimes teams have to let players go - Barker did it with Owens, maybe it's time to do the same with Durie and Kacket.

I don't particularly care whether Kackert comes back, but there is no way you let Durie go without seeing what he can do on the field. He's not easily replaceable because of his national status. As I said above, Coombs looks like a good and potentially great player, but a Durie who is healthy enough to dress -- not necessarily start, just dress -- is almost certainly a better second option than Bradfield or whoever our next best NAT SB is.

Rich
04-19-2016, 03:56 PM
I say let Durie go for it, spell him with Coombs and hope for the best. If he goes down, Coombs can be a solid contributor.

Coombs has paid his dues. They should split the reps 50/50 to have a better chance of keeping them both healthy.

R.J
04-19-2016, 04:49 PM
I don't particularly care whether Kackert comes back, but there is no way you let Durie go without seeing what he can do on the field. He's not easily replaceable because of his national status. As I said above, Coombs looks like a good and potentially great player, but a Durie who is healthy enough to dress -- not necessarily start, just dress -- is almost certainly a better second option than Bradfield or whoever our next best NAT SB is.
A healthy Durie is not easily replaceable; I agree with that, and while I think Coombs is a very good player - he doesn't play the same style. As of late I've thought that Coombs is better suited to Owens spot and style of play, but that's a topic for another day. Durie's play can be replaced by Elliott and Bates IMO, but the issue then becomes his national status and I agree a healthy Durie is a much better option than Bradfield, but again it's Durie's health and age that's the problem here - not his talent. The Argonauts could easily draft one of the top receivers in this years draft, but essentially the problem there becomes Durie's position is said to take a lot of time to learn. Milanovich seems to stick with "his guys" which is the biggest issue I have here - I could see Durie starting, which IMO is wasting time and wasting Coombs or another young guys potential. Time to cut Durie loose IMO.

paulwoods13
04-19-2016, 05:48 PM
I could see Durie starting, which IMO is wasting time and wasting Coombs or another young guys potential. Time to cut Durie loose IMO.

Cut him if he can't make the team, but if he is healthy IMO he is easily one of our top eight or 10 NATs in terms of talent and potential to produce. If we cut him now (which clearly we won't after Barker has touted his return), Hamilton would sign him in a second. If he's better than Bradfield, he's way better than the scrubs Hamilton has scuffling for playing time at NAT receiver behind Fantuz. If he earns a starting role, that's not "wasting time" -- that's helping us win. Coombs can beat him out, or at least share PT, if he outplays Durie in camp. If both are healthy all year I expect both to get lots of PT. Maybe Coombs ends up with more catches and yards -- if so, great! -- but Durie, if healthy, can still be a 50-catch, 700-yard guy even in a platoon role IMO.

paulwoods13
04-19-2016, 06:29 PM
For the record, my top 10 NATs at the moment are, in position order, Gabriel, Greenwood, Miles, Bulcke, Waud, Foley, Bourke, Holmes, Coombs and Durie. Based purely on talent and production potential, IMO it makes no sense to let any of them go until we see how they look in camp.

Argo57
04-19-2016, 09:30 PM
There is no downside to seeing how Durie responds in training camp to which an informed decision will be made, he at least deserves that consideration.

OV Argo
04-19-2016, 10:47 PM
There is no downside to seeing how Durie responds in training camp to which an informed decision will be made, he at least deserves that consideration.

Exactly - Durie has led the entire league in YAC yards and the position he plays in the Argo offence is suited for his skill-set; guys with that kind of talent don't come around very often - national or import. IF he is healthy he could still play a big role, and backed by Coombs who showed he can play too. Not sure if there is another receiver in this draft class with that kind of YAC yards skill set to play the hybrid slot position. IF the thinking is all imports pencilled in for the other receiving corps spots = don't bother to use a first few rounds pick on another receiver - Bradfield can fill the role of little to never used "depth" receiver.

OV Argo
04-19-2016, 11:37 PM
For the record, my top 10 NATs at the moment are, in position order, Gabriel, Greenwood, Miles, Bulcke, Waud, Foley, Bourke, Holmes, Coombs and Durie. Based purely on talent and production potential, IMO it makes no sense to let any of them go until we see how they look in camp.

Not sure what you meant by position order there?

In terms of proven CFL talent and production - I'd have it: Bourke (best OT or near there in the league for years now); Foley (3 time GC Champ, vet with a real D motor), Durie (amazing YAC yards skills to lead the league there), Bulcke (vet & former Ticat D player of the year); then a bunch of younger guys who have proven they can play - Gabriel, Greenwood, Holmes (needs to get better IMO), then some younger guys who have shown promise - Coombs, Waud, Miles. Matt Black should be on the list as a guy who can play and could probably start at corner if given a real shot there. McEwen shows up and maybe wins the starting C job right away - that kind of talent IMO.

Potentially 10 starting Canadians there IF they got the shot and earned it in TC (doubtful that happens IMO due to pencilled-in thinking)

AngeloV
04-20-2016, 09:49 AM
Exactly - Durie has led the entire league in YAC yards and the position he plays in the Argo offence is suited for his skill-set; guys with that kind of talent don't come around very often - national or import. IF he is healthy he could still play a big role, and backed by Coombs who showed he can play too. Not sure if there is another receiver in this draft class with that kind of YAC yards skill set to play the hybrid slot position. IF the thinking is all imports pencilled in for the other receiving corps spots = don't bother to use a first few rounds pick on another receiver - Bradfield can fill the role of little to never used "depth" receiver.

If it's up to me, Durie starts and Coombs rotates both at his position and Whitaker's. 2 of those 3 should be on the field at all times in a regular set.

paulwoods13
04-20-2016, 11:15 AM
Not sure what you meant by position order there?

Playing position -- DB>LB>D-line>O-line>receiver. Wasn't ranking them as players but just listing top 10 by position.

R.J
04-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Well I'm clearly in the minority here about Durie.

paulwoods13
04-20-2016, 12:41 PM
Well I'm clearly in the minority here about Durie.

That's OK -- he's clearly coming to camp and we will all soon find out whether he still has it. If he doesn't, we move on. If he does, there is room for both him and Coombs on the field a lot. Any other NAT receivers we have will be in subordinate roles but I don't see that as a big problem. Bradfield becomes this year's Adjei, and maybe we draft one who can be developed for the future. I certainly would not draft a receiver in Round 1 or 2 since our needs are much greater elsewhere (o-line and d-line -- we can never have too much depth in those areas, and we need to develop one or two new o-line starters over the next year or two to replace VZ and Keeping).

R.J
04-20-2016, 12:54 PM
That's OK -- he's clearly coming to camp and we will all soon find out whether he still has it. If he doesn't, we move on. If he does, there is room for both him and Coombs on the field a lot. Any other NAT receivers we have will be in subordinate roles but I don't see that as a big problem. Bradfield becomes this year's Adjei, and maybe we draft one who can be developed for the future. I certainly would not draft a receiver in Round 1 or 2 since our needs are much greater elsewhere (o-line and d-line -- we can never have too much depth in those areas, and we need to develop one or two new o-line starters over the next year or two to replace VZ and Keeping).
Oline, WR/SB and defensive backfield for me. Defensive line I think we're pretty good (obviously wouldn't hurt to draft someone) with Foley, Walker, Waud and Bulcke. Offensive line we still need help from Centre to Right Tackle, and in the defensive backfield we only have 1 sure fire National starter. While I like Black IMO he's not starting material and admittedly I haven't seen enough of Herbert to know what he can bring. Some very good db's in the draft this year - I also think the Argonauts should pick up one of the top rated WR's as well.

paulwoods13
04-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Oline, WR/SB and defensive backfield for me. Defensive line I think we're pretty good (obviously wouldn't hurt to draft someone) with Foley, Walker, Waud and Bulcke. Offensive line we still need help from Centre to Right Tackle, and in the defensive backfield we only have 1 sure fire National starter. While I like Black IMO he's not starting material and admittedly I haven't seen enough of Herbert to know what he can bring. Some very good db's in the draft this year - I also think the Argonauts should pick up one of the top rated WR's as well.

Herbert has been around long enough that I think it's safe to assume he is not starter material. I agree C/RG/RT are priorities. I'd take two o-linemen before drafting a receiver, unless the best available receiver is miles better than the best available o-lineman. I agree we have good depth at d-line but Foley is getting up there in years and I'm not yet sold on Walker altho obviously I hope he develops at least into a rotation guy. DT is a position of real strength; if we had one more we could easily start two NATs there. With our NAT depth elsewhere we could probably do that anyway.

R.J
04-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Herbert has been around long enough that I think it's safe to assume he is not starter material. I agree C/RG/RT are priorities. I'd take two o-linemen before drafting a receiver, unless the best available receiver is miles better than the best available o-lineman. I agree we have good depth at d-line but Foley is getting up there in years and I'm not yet sold on Walker altho obviously I hope he develops at least into a rotation guy. DT is a position of real strength; if we had one more we could easily start two NATs there. With our NAT depth elsewhere we could probably do that anyway.
McEwen could always end up showing up (I hope). I agree with everything else. I'm still hoping the Argonauts draft St. John - IMO we need to develop Bourke's replacement sooner rather than later. While I think most of the top OL prospects will be gone in the first round; if one of Guy (injuries are a bit of a concern) or Couture are available in the 2nd round I'd take em. DE Trent Corney, LB Alex Singleton, DL Mitchell Winters could also be available in the second or third round - some very good talent there as well.

OV Argo
04-20-2016, 08:55 PM

Argos could grab DT Brandon Tennant - recently released by the Riders - big DT with a bit of CFL playing experience now; even so - no way they start 2 NI DTs IMO - they didn't sign Hall and trade for Munroe for nothing. Hopefully Walker develops into a DE capable of playing some reps; but guess they didn't think too much of him last year - he saw next to no playing time on D while an average to mediocre like Wright got lots of opportunity there. The Argos might be able to draft DE Trent Corney (Virginia) - Div I starter and put up some superb athletic testing #s = could be a future replacement for Foley as a NI DE and maybe play right away - with a guy like that, 2 NI starting DEs would be maybe more do-able than 2 NI DTs (not overly sold on Hickman unless he plays up to his CFL form of several years ago, and I bet he carries a pretty hefty $M$ price-tag).

And IMO there's probably a good half dozen or so decent DB prospects up this draft who will be available mid to later rounds and who might be able to beat out Hebert for a job. Career back-ups who never see the field on O or D and who also don't do much on special teams should be up for being replaced every TC.

R.J
05-04-2016, 04:38 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/04/argos-add-two-on-offensive-line/

The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the club has signed international offensive linemen Damien Parris and Torrian Wilson.

The Argonauts also announced today that the club has released national defensive back Marcus Grandison, international defensive back Eddie Whitley, international running back Michael Dyer, and international linebacker Jean Fanor.

jerrym
05-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Here's a video of Damien Parris in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_WfLDClG0U

Rich
05-05-2016, 12:18 PM
So the Michael Dyer era ends before it even starts. Too bad, the guy's a great talent, but it's great news for both Chad Kackert and Henry Josey. Should be a great battle between those two and newcomer Edwin Baker for the #2 International RB behind Whitaker. My money's on the Kack Attack.

R.J
05-05-2016, 01:16 PM
So the Michael Dyer era ends before it even starts. Too bad, the guy's a great talent, but it's great news for both Chad Kackert and Henry Josey. Should be a great battle between those two and newcomer Edwin Baker for the #2 International RB behind Whitaker. My money's on the Kack Attack.
If Kackert and Josey are the top two options as the backup runningback - Barker's got some more work to do.

jerrym
05-05-2016, 01:32 PM
If Kackert and Josey are the top two options as the backup runningback - Barker's got some more work to do.

That's for sure. I've never been impressed by Josey, and as much as I love Kackert's skills there is a big question mark about how long he can go before a major injury happens.

ArgoGabe22
05-05-2016, 01:42 PM
According to Frank Z a few weeks ago, it sounded like Kackert remains unsigned but had discussions with Barker although he was never listed as an FA. So not sure what's going on there.

Rich
05-05-2016, 01:50 PM
That's for sure. I've never been impressed by Josey

I agree Josey looked like crap last year, but i think he's capable of a lot more and may surprise some people at camp.

R.J
05-05-2016, 02:08 PM
According to Frank Z a few weeks ago, it sounded like Kackert remains unsigned but had discussions with Barker although he was never listed as an FA. So not sure what's going on there.
Milanovich brought it up during the conference call as well. Kackert is on the roster list via Argonauts.ca; curious situation.

doubleblue
05-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Dyer was too big to be an Argo running back at 220 lbs. lol But there must have been something they didn't like about him after the mini camp.

Wobbler
05-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Apparently we signed WR Shane Williams-Rhodes (http://www.nwcn.com/sports/williamsrhodes-signs-with-cfl-team/177355142) today. He's another small but prolific college receiver.

jerrym
05-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Here are some highlights of the speedy Shane Williams-Rhodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfd-CmYnVc8

Argo57
05-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Here are some highlights of the speedy Shane Williams-Rhodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfd-CmYnVc8

Potentially has the skill set to replace the old Hawaiian guy that went to Hamilton!

R.J
05-11-2016, 03:35 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> have released the following players:<br><br>DB Manny Asprilla<br>LB * * Detrick Bonner<br>WR****Jeremy Gallon<br>DL * * Steven Miller <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts PR (@Argonauts_PR) <a href="https://twitter.com/Argonauts_PR/status/730468630182432769">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>

AngeloV
05-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Was Gallon at mini camp? If so, I guess he didn't impress as much as Wylie.

doubleblue
05-11-2016, 09:38 PM
<iframe class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block; visibility: hidden; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>
The #Argos (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash) have released the following players:

DB Manny Asprilla
LB * * Detrick Bonner
WR****Jeremy Gallon
DL * * Steven Miller #CFL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash)
— Toronto Argonauts PR (@Argonauts_PR) May 11, 2016 (https://twitter.com/Argonauts_PR/status/730468630182432769)
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script><script src="https://syndication.twitter.com/tweets.json?callback=__twttr.callbacks.cb0&ids=730468630182432769&lang=en&suppress_response_codes=true" async=""></script>

I see the CFL has changed the number of players going to training camp this year from 75 to 68 plus the first year Canadians. I didn't realize that change had taken place until recently. So I guess that as why we see teams releasing players already.
I wonder if we start seeing Teams getting creative, like some temporary retirements, suspensions etc. of vets while they get a longer look at the rookies.
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none; visibility: hidden; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

ArgoGabe22
05-11-2016, 10:18 PM
I wonder if we start seeing Teams getting creative, like some temporary retirements, suspensions etc. of vets while they get a longer look at the rookies.
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none; visibility: hidden; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Whatever they come up with, wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton (Tillman) are the first to do so.

KCargosfan
05-12-2016, 03:16 AM
<script src="https://syndication.twitter.com/tweets.json?callback=__twttr.callbacks.cb0&ids=730468630182432769&lang=en&suppress_response_codes=true" async=""></script>

I see the CFL has changed the number of players going to training camp this year from 75 to 68 plus the first year Canadians. I didn't realize that change had taken place until recently. So I guess that as why we see teams releasing players already.

Interesting. When you include practice roster guys, doesn't this really only leave about 12 cuts for the entire training camp?

AngeloV
05-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Interesting. When you include practice roster guys, doesn't this really only leave about 12 cuts for the entire training camp?

Yup. I suspect you will see a lot of releases and signings during camp. Players (especially imports) are not going to have a lot of time to make an impression.

R.J
05-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Yup. I suspect you will see a lot of releases and signings during camp. Players (especially imports) are not going to have a lot of time to make an impression.
http://www.allcanadagridiron.info/forum2/index.php?topic=6077.0;wap2

AngeloV
05-12-2016, 12:51 PM
http://www.allcanadagridiron.info/forum2/index.php?topic=6077.0;wap2

Yeah, I don't buy that. I just think you will see a lot more imports come and go during camp. If someone doesn't impress in the first couple of days (or in the rookie portion of camp), they will be let go and replaced with another import in waiting.

R.J
05-16-2016, 04:07 PM
Apparently we signed WR Shane Williams-Rhodes (http://www.nwcn.com/sports/williamsrhodes-signs-with-cfl-team/177355142) today. He's another small but prolific college receiver.
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/16/argos-sign-trio-receivers/

The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the team has signed international receivers Markeith Ambles, Christion Jones and Shane Williams-Rhodes.

Wobbler
05-16-2016, 04:49 PM
That took quite a while to become official.

Good luck to these guys - it's not going to be easy to crack our roster at WR unless you can do something else too. And even then...

jerrym
05-16-2016, 09:51 PM
That took quite a while to become official.

Good luck to these guys - it's not going to be easy to crack our roster at WR unless you can do something else too. And even then...

That's for sure with all the receivers they have coming back, including Diontae Spencer who will be looking for a starter job, plus Jeremy Gallon, Devon Wylie and Brian Jones already sparing for positions.

Rich
05-16-2016, 11:44 PM
That's for sure with all the receivers they have coming back, including Diontae Spencer who will be looking for a starter job, plus Jeremy Gallon, Devon Wylie and Brian Jones already sparing for positions.

Gallon got cut, but there's still Kenny Shaw, Phil Bates and Da'Rick Rogers, three more strong candidates for WR. I can't understand why Barker feels the need to bring in even more competition on top of those guys.

ArgoRavi
05-17-2016, 02:05 AM
QB Cody Fajardo announced on Twitter that he has signed with the Argos: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It&#39;s official! I&#39;m extremely happy to be a part of the <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos">@TorontoArgos</a> organization. Blessed to continue to play ball <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/signedsealed?src=hash">#signedsealed</a>&amp;delivered</p>&mdash; Cody Fajardo (@CodyFajardo17) <a href="https://twitter.com/CodyFajardo17/status/732292772359610368">May 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

doubleblue
05-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Gallon got cut, but there's still Kenny Shaw, Phil Bates and Da'Rick Rogers, three more strong candidates for WR. I can't understand why Barker feels the need to bring in even more competition on top of those guys.

With four QB's throwing on passing drill after passing drill in TC they need plenty of WR's. You can't expect the starting guys to just keep running for two hours at a time.

Jon Gonzo
05-17-2016, 11:00 AM
With four QB's throwing on passing drill after passing drill in TC they need plenty of WR's. You can't expect the starting guys to just keep running for two hours at a time.

I also think this is a subtle message to young guys. More dumb, bad penalties won't be tolerated and discipline is necessary. I don't think you'll see mere benchings this time.

Wobbler
05-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Even though many of these guys will be cut, it never hurts to assess extra people. If our receiving corps gets "2014'd", Barker will be happy to have these names in his rolodex.

Wobbler
05-17-2016, 01:50 PM
We haven't forgotten about the D, naturally (http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/argos-add-four-defenders-to-roster/n-5144225)

- Jimmy Legree (DB), a product of South Carolina, registered 55 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, three interceptions and added four pass breakups with the Gamecocks as a senior. The 6-0, 187-pound, native of Beaufort, South Carolina signs with the Double Blue after spending parts of the last three seasons with the NFL's Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League.

- Marshall McFadden (LB) arrives in Toronto after stints in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams over the last four seasons. The 6-3, 297-pound, native of Lamar, South Carolina, played 37 games over four seasons at South Carolina State, registering a total of 208 tackles, 16 tackles for a loss, three sacks and three interceptions with the Bulldogs.

- Joshua Mitchell (DB), a 5-11, 160-pound native of Corona, California spent the 2015 season with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. The former Nebraska Cornhusker registered 104 tackles (79 solo, 25 assisted), eight tackles for a loss of 27 yards, three sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, three interceptions and 25 pass breakups over four seasons. He was an Academic All-Big Ten selection from 2012-14 and was an honourable mention All-Big Ten selection in 2014.

- Joe Rankin (DB), a 5-9, 185-pound native of Germantown, Maryland, had 57 tackles (42 solo, 15 assisted), three tackles for a loss of five yards, three interceptions, one forced fumble, six pass breakups and two blocked kicks as a senior at Morgan State. Prior to signing with the Argos, he attended rookie mini-camp with the NFL's Baltimore Ravens in 2014 and spent training camp with the Cleveland Browns in 2015.

Rich
05-17-2016, 02:14 PM
I guess fodder's day is coming up.

gilthethrill
05-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Was Gallon at mini camp? If so, I guess he didn't impress as much as Wylie.

I gather Gallon has come up empty in his efforts to become a Toronto Argonaut.

dmont
05-17-2016, 03:55 PM
We haven't forgotten about the D, naturally (http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/argos-add-four-defenders-to-roster/n-5144225)

- Jimmy Legree (DB), a product of South Carolina, registered 55 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, three interceptions and added four pass breakups with the Gamecocks as a senior. The 6-0, 187-pound, native of Beaufort, South Carolina signs with the Double Blue after spending parts of the last three seasons with the NFL's Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League.

- Marshall McFadden (LB) arrives in Toronto after stints in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams over the last four seasons. The 6-3, 297-pound, native of Lamar, South Carolina, played 37 games over four seasons at South Carolina State, registering a total of 208 tackles, 16 tackles for a loss, three sacks and three interceptions with the Bulldogs.

- Joshua Mitchell (DB), a 5-11, 160-pound native of Corona, California spent the 2015 season with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. The former Nebraska Cornhusker registered 104 tackles (79 solo, 25 assisted), eight tackles for a loss of 27 yards, three sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, three interceptions and 25 pass breakups over four seasons. He was an Academic All-Big Ten selection from 2012-14 and was an honourable mention All-Big Ten selection in 2014.

- Joe Rankin (DB), a 5-9, 185-pound native of Germantown, Maryland, had 57 tackles (42 solo, 15 assisted), three tackles for a loss of five yards, three interceptions, one forced fumble, six pass breakups and two blocked kicks as a senior at Morgan State. Prior to signing with the Argos, he attended rookie mini-camp with the NFL's Baltimore Ravens in 2014 and spent training camp with the Cleveland Browns in 2015.

Very glad to read this. I was beginning to wonder about our secondary. We had brought in some veteran free agents, but other than that it was the same guys as last year (and I wouldn't exactly call them dominant). Competition in the secondary is a good thing.

Jon Gonzo
05-17-2016, 04:18 PM

A 300LB Linebacker! Wow. Marshall McFatten. Like to see him roll sideline to sideline. Likely see him try out at DT.

R.J
05-17-2016, 04:43 PM
QB Cody Fajardo announced on Twitter that he has signed with the Argos
Teams always seem to delay the announcements for some reason.
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/17/argos-sign-qb-cody-fajardo/

Wobbler
05-17-2016, 05:49 PM
A 300LB Linebacker! Wow. Marshall McFatten. Like to see him roll sideline to sideline. Likely see him try out at DT.
Hey, he's been with three NFL teams, so obviously that's the correct body type for an LB; our skinny ~200 lb wimps are way too tiny for the position!

(Yeah, obviously a typo. NFLDS lists him at 237 lbs)

Will
05-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Very glad to read this. I was beginning to wonder about our secondary. We had brought in some veteran free agents, but other than that it was the same guys as last year (and I wouldn't exactly call them dominant). Competition in the secondary is a good thing.

It is the one area where Barker hasn't had a whole lot of success in recruitment, although turnover since 2013 has been a significant problem too.

jerrym
05-18-2016, 12:21 AM
I had to check out our alleged 297 lb lineman, Marshall McFadden.
According to NFL Draft Scout he is 237 lb.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89088&draftyear=2011&genpos=ILB

jerrym
05-18-2016, 12:26 AM
McFadden's Youtube highlights both in terms of his body image and maneuverability he looks much closer to 237 lb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Ld5XJkw4E

ArgoRavi
05-18-2016, 01:13 AM
It is the one area where Barker hasn't had a whole lot of success in recruitment, although turnover since 2013 has been a significant problem too.

Turnover rather than lack of talent has been the biggest issue IMO. For example, Neiko Thorpe started for the Argos a bit in 2013 and has been a starter with the Raiders since that time. I think that there has been sufficient talent in the secondary but there have been some issues with coaching. Chris Jones could never settle on a secondary in 2013 and we have had three defensive co-ordinators over the past three seasons. A secondary needs continuity as much as anything. The Argos were better in the continuity area last year but it was an adjustment season with so many new to the CFL bodies in that secondary together. I think that we will see things settle down finally this year under Stubler.

jerrym
05-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Turnover rather than lack of talent has been the biggest issue IMO. For example, Neiko Thorpe started for the Argos a bit in 2013 and has been a starter with the Raiders since that time. I think that there has been sufficient talent in the secondary but there have been some issues with coaching. Chris Jones could never settle on a secondary in 2013 and we have had three defensive co-ordinators over the past three seasons. A secondary needs continuity as much as anything. The Argos were better in the continuity area last year but it was an adjustment season with so many new to the CFL bodies in that secondary together. I think that we will see things settle down finally this year under Stubler.

I've been concerned about the lack of continuity, especially among dbs, for a couple of years. It certainly showed last year.

R.J
05-18-2016, 03:34 PM

Barker's bringing In the dbs!
Very happy to see this. IMO the defensive backfield is our weak link and Barker's at least trying to fix it.

doubleblue
05-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Hey, he's been with three NFL teams, so obviously that's the correct body type for an LB; our skinny ~200 lb wimps are way too tiny for the position!

(Yeah, obviously a typo. NFLDS lists him at 237 lbs)

6'0 237 which probably means he will be listed at 6'1 240 at training camp. Watching his work outs this guy looks like you would be running into a brick wall if you were a running back.
McFatten and Spruill measure up pretty close to last years incumbent Greg Jones in size. We will have to see if they measure up on the field.

OV Argo
05-18-2016, 11:11 PM
6'0 237 which probably means he will be listed at 6'1 240 at training camp. Watching his work outs this guy looks like you would be running into a brick wall if you were a running back.
McFatten and Spruill measure up pretty close to last years incumbent Greg Jones in size. We will have to see if they measure up on the field.

MLB could be the most interesting spot to watch for TC competition IMO; a couple of new import guys (maybe more to be added), and maybe Miles gets a real shot to win the job; Spruill has the nice resume but has to be healthy and pick-up the Canadian game. Important position on the defence - a big play-making MLB can be key; still holding out some hope that Henoc Muamba would be available and they would have the ca$h to try and get him - worth spending some big CFL bucks to get a top notch player on D (regardless of passport, but another NI starter would be good IMO).

R.J
05-19-2016, 04:57 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/19/four-added-defence/

The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the club has signed international defensive backs Aaron Berry, Thomas Gordon and TJ Heath, as well as defensive lineman Joshua Watson.

KCargosfan
05-20-2016, 04:12 AM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/19/four-added-defence/

Never heard of any of these guys. It's amazing how long you can bounce around NFL training camps, practice rosters without actually making a team.

Reggiemac
05-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Marshall McFadden looks like good find probably impressed at florida minicamp. We will see.

R.J
05-20-2016, 07:42 PM
I love the fact that Barker is bringing in so many dbs. Maybe he checks in on the forum ? ;)

AngeloV
05-20-2016, 08:43 PM
I love the fact that Barker is bringing in so many dbs. Maybe he checks in on the forum ? ;)

Yeah, when he needs a good laugh, or to check in on the ST count.

OV Argo
05-20-2016, 08:54 PM

Yeah - hopefully he gets a good chuckle; I know i got a good laugh out of some of his draft choices.

:shhhh:

argolio
05-21-2016, 01:15 AM
I love the fact that Barker is bringing in so many dbs. Maybe he checks in on the forum ? If Barker listens to anyone here, he should have his head examined.

Wobbler
05-21-2016, 02:30 AM
...or to check in on the ST count.
Heh heh. Nice.

R.J
05-21-2016, 01:06 PM

If Barker listens to anyone here, he should have his head examined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbFhOeqTzY

Just in case anyone missed it - when I wrote my post I was being sarcastic; even through in a wink for good measure.

AngeloV
05-21-2016, 02:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbFhOeqTzY

Just in case anyone missed it - when I wrote my post I was being sarcastic; even through in a wink for good measure.

I know that. I was just adding to it.

R.J
05-21-2016, 07:59 PM
I know that. I was just adding to it.
I had a feeling you and argolio did, but wasn't 100% sure. In either case it gave me the opportunity to post the clip from one of my favourite Simpsons episodes. Funny enough right after I wrote the original post I thought about how hilarious it would be if Barker did check up on here (IIRC Tillman used to post over at rider and eskfans) - I wonder how Barker would feel about being known as a "gob" ? lol

ArgoGabe22
05-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Someone should ask him at camp if you see him if he's aware of the term "gob"

jerrym
05-22-2016, 12:20 AM
Recently signed db Aaron Berry had an initially promising NFL career short-circuited by injuries and arrests for assault and DUI. In 2011, he had 31 tackles in 11 games.

Thanks to legal and injury issues, Berry has appeared in only eight games over the past three seasons after appearing to be a player on the rise in 2011.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6287/aaron-berry

On Monday, the [Detroit] Lions took an additional step after Aaron Berry (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13734/aaron-berry)'s second arrest of the summer. They terminated the defensive back's contract. ....
Berry was arrested twice this offseason in Pennsylvania. Cpl. Kyle Gautsch of the Harrisburg Police Department said he was taken into custody early Saturday morning on three charges of simple assault. Gautsch said there "was a weapon allegedly brandished during the incident." ...
Berry, who is from Harrisburg, was also arrested in that area June 23 on suspicion of DUI, failure to stop and render aid from an accident and other counts. He was set to enter a diversionary program in that case.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8191512/detroit-lions-cut-cb-aaron-berry-latest-arrest

Argo57
05-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Recently signed db Aaron Berry had an initially promising NFL career short-circuited by injuries and arrests for assault and DUI. In 2011, he had 31 tackles in 11 games.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6287/aaron-berry

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8191512/detroit-lions-cut-cb-aaron-berry-latest-arrest

Wow, sounds like a solid citizen who could be a leader on this team, nice addition??👌

OV Argo
05-22-2016, 09:33 AM

I'd bet he has seen The Blues Brothers movie. ;o)

R.J
05-22-2016, 10:11 AM
Looks like Angelo has his mission. ;)

KCargosfan
05-22-2016, 02:34 PM

Isn't everyone?

ArgoRavi
05-22-2016, 03:04 PM
I had a feeling you and argolio did, but wasn't 100% sure. In either case it gave me the opportunity to post the clip from one of my favourite Simpsons episodes. Funny enough right after I wrote the original post I thought about how hilarious it would be if Barker did check up on here (IIRC Tillman used to post over at rider and eskfans) - I wonder how Barker would feel about being known as a "gob" ? lol

Someone I know and think is a trusted source told me that Barker e-mailed him about a post or two that he had made over on the Stamps' forum a number of years ago. I believe that he would run into Barker every so often in Calgary and they were acquainted with each other. Anyway, my point is that Barker at least checked out that forum when he was with the Stamps and probably has checked this forum out on occasion just to get a pulse of what the fan base is saying.

KCargosfan
05-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Someone I know and think is a trusted source told me that Barker e-mailed him about a post or two that he had made over on the Stamps' forum a number of years ago. I believe that he would run into Barker every so often in Calgary and they were acquainted with each other. Anyway, my point is that Barker at least checked out that forum when he was with the Stamps and probably has checked this forum out on occasion just to get a pulse of what the fan base is saying.

Barker seems like he would be a good dude to have a beer with.

gilthethrill
05-22-2016, 05:07 PM

When Barker was HC of the Argos in 1999, the team IIRC allowed fans to email players and staff. I asked Barker as to why he was not trying to obtain a couple of young Canadian Oline men that were available. He took the time to reply with in depth reasons as to why he wasn't. I thought that was really good of him to take the time to do that.

Mookie Fan
05-22-2016, 10:36 PM

That's very interesting ArgoRavi. Remember the lively debate I started here in the past, when I half-seriously wrote that I wonder whether Barker and Milanovich read this forum? Some people completely dismissed the idea at the time.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8