PDA

View Full Version : Alouettes defensive coordinator Noel Thorpe resigns

R.J
12-16-2015, 12:25 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/alouettes-defensive-coordinator-thorpe-resigns-1.409948

I wasn't expecting this at all, especially after the Popp press conference where it was announced that the coaching staff would be retained. Interesting that Thorpe could end up in Edmonton, another potential unexpected move.

Argo57
12-16-2015, 07:30 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/alouettes-defensive-coordinator-thorpe-resigns-1.409948

I wasn't expecting this at all, especially after the Popp press conference where it was announced that the coaching staff would be retained. Interesting that Thorpe could end up in Edmonton, another potential unexpected move.

Edmonton makes sense, I would expect he would be names Assistant Head Coach so it doesn't appear to be a lateral move.

ArgoGabe22
12-16-2015, 10:40 AM
I think the 2015 -2016 off-season will be known as the year of the coach reshuffle. It`s unbelievable how much movement there is.

R.J
12-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Edmonton makes sense, I would expect he would be names Assistant Head Coach so it doesn't appear to be a lateral move.
Thorpe had the Assistant Head Coach title in Montreal. It's going to be interesting to see how this situation plays out.

gilthethrill
12-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Thorpe had the Assistant Head Coach title in Montreal. It's going to be interesting to see how this situation plays out.

I read Thorpe had 2 years remaining on his contract. I agree, this will be worth watching. Glad to see him take his act out of the EFC....his Montreal D was always tough. Montreal is in enough trouble already going into 2016.

Argo
12-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Popp is now also the DC (just kidding... I think...).

Will
12-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Popp is now also the DC (just kidding... I think...).

I know someone named Casey Creehan who is ready and available to takeover the job.

:D

R.J
12-16-2015, 12:26 PM
I read Thorpe had 2 years remaining on his contract. I agree, this will be worth watching. Glad to see him take his act out of the EFC....his Montreal D was always tough. Montreal is in enough trouble already going into 2016.
Yeah, I believe that was Lalji who tweeted that (contract having 2 years left). I think Thorpe going to Edmonton is a good match, his defence is similar to Jones'. This off season is getting a bit hairy though, while I don't think Edmonton will end up compensating Ottawa for Maas, this situation with Thorpe will probably lead to some type of penalty/fine and the League will now have to move quickly on new coaching movement guidelines.

doubleblue
12-16-2015, 12:41 PM

I thought Benevides was going to Edmonton as the DC. Maybe Thorpe is going to Calgary or BC as DC and Asst. HC. Still a surprise though. Always thought he would eventually get the HC job in Montreal.

OV Argo
12-16-2015, 12:59 PM
What is Thorpe's connection to some of these other teams that would see him leave Montreal for a lateral type move?

His D in Montreal was the only one in the CFL to run a 3-4 as the base defence last year; and it was good at times and has some very good talent (like Cox, Bowman, Venable + added Muamba); but it was also mediocre to poor at times (like when they got absolutely shredded by Blank Burris & Ottawa last season - gave up the most completions in a game in CFL history - that does NOT happen to a good defence). Was it Thorpe who calls for and likes a 3-4 or was it more a Poop idea? - we shall see where he ends up.

R.J
12-16-2015, 02:00 PM
I thought Benevides was going to Edmonton as the DC. Maybe Thorpe is going to Calgary or BC as DC and Asst. HC. Still a surprise though. Always thought he would eventually get the HC job in Montreal.
Benevides and Miles were the speculated DC's in Edmonton. I don't see Thorpe going to Calgary, as Calgary has already announced their coaching staff and I highly doubt Dickenson would let Claybrooks go. BC could be interesting, but it all depends on how Wally feels about Mark Washington. From the outside looking in, it appears the Als are just waiting for Calvillo to be ready to take over that team.

the plot thickens.............
Didier Orméjuste @DidierRDS
If Noel Thorpe is named DC of the Eskimos, expect Anwar Stewart to leave the Alouettes and join Edmonton as DL coach. #CFL

Didier Orméjuste @DidierRDS
Jim Popp was blindsided by Noel Thorpe's resignation. He said his former DC never spoke to him before leaving the Alouettes. #CFL

R.J
12-16-2015, 02:59 PM
gary lawless ‏@garylawless
CFL commissioner Jeffrey Orridge has sent a memo to all @CFL presidents and GMs declaring a moratorium on all coaching movement @TSN_Sports

gary lawless ‏@garylawless
Regarding Noel Thorpe, his movement from the Alouettes to any other team is on hold until @cfl commissioner has more time to investigate

Argo57
12-16-2015, 07:44 PM

Thanks SnowRogue, I read that today, my guess is Thorpe was willing to make the lateral move elsewhere after being passed over several times for the Alouettes Head Coaching job in favour of a bunch of clueless stiffs including Popp himself.
It will be interesting to see how Orridge handles this one for sure.

R.J
12-16-2015, 08:07 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/orridge-pushes-pause-on-cfl-coaching-carousel-1.410333

Rishaug reached out to Thorpe Wednesday, and the coach replied with a statement.
"Last night, I had a conversation and opened dialogue with Montreal Alouettes President, Mark Weightman, about my situation with the team and future standing.
After our conversation, it was confirmed in my mind that, in the best interest of both parties, our professional relationship could not continue forward. I confirmed this in writing to Mr. Weightman late in the evening.
My employment ended yesterday prior to the CFL moratorium imposed on coaching movement."

ArgoRavi
12-17-2015, 12:28 AM
What is Thorpe's connection to some of these other teams that would see him leave Montreal for a lateral type move?

His D in Montreal was the only one in the CFL to run a 3-4 as the base defence last year; and it was good at times and has some very good talent (like Cox, Bowman, Venable + added Muamba); but it was also mediocre to poor at times (like when they got absolutely shredded by Blank Burris & Ottawa last season - gave up the most completions in a game in CFL history - that does NOT happen to a good defence). Was it Thorpe who calls for and likes a 3-4 or was it more a Poop idea? - we shall see where he ends up.

In all fairness to the Als, that game in Ottawa was their second on the road in four days and they were pretty banged up on top of that.

ArgoRavi
12-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Thorpe is now staying in Montreal after all: http://www.cfl.ca/2015/12/21/alouettes-announce-thorpe-to-return-in-2016/

Will
12-22-2015, 11:38 AM
The best move at this point really would have been for the Als and Thorpe to part ways. I think Thorpe is a good defensive coordinator to be sure and is the primary reason why that franchise hasn't completely collapsed on the field, but how much friction will this have caused between himself and Popp?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8