PDA

View Full Version : Which of the Top 2016 Prospects would you like to see the Argos draft?

jerrym
12-31-2015, 12:26 AM
Here is the December CFL Scouting Bureau top 20 rankings (numbers in brackets are there previous rankings):

<tbody>
DECEMBER SCOUTING BUREAU RANKINGS

Rank
Name
Position
School
Hometown

1 (1)
Tevaun Smith
WR
Iowa
Toronto

2 (2)
David Onyemata
DL
Manitoba
Lagos, Nigeria

3 (6)
Josiah St. John
OL
Oklahoma
Toronto

4 (9)
Mehdi Abdesmad
DL
Boston College
Montreal

5 (3)
Arjen Colquhoun
DB
Michigan St.
Windsor, Ont.

6 (10)
Charles Vaillancourt
OL
Laval
Coaticook, Que.

7 (5)
Mercer Timmis
RB
Calgary
Burlington, Ont.

8 (17)
Trent Corney
DL
Virginia
Brockville, Ont.

9 (-)
Taylor Loffler
DB
UBC
Kelowna, B.C.

10 (8)
Mitchell Winters
DL
Miami (Ohio)
Mississauga, Ont.

11 (7)
Dillon Guy
OL
Buffalo
Hamilton, Ont.

12 (11)
Juwan Brescacin
WR
Northern Illinois
Mississauga, Ont.

13 (15)
Philippe Gagnon
OL
Laval
L’Ancienne-Lorette, Que.

14 (19)
Jason Lauzon-Seguin
OL
Laval
Pointe-Claire, Que.

15 (13)
Anthony Thompson
DB
Southern Illinois
Montreal

16 (4)
Elie Bouka
DB
Calgary
Laval, Que.

17 (12)
Llevi Noel
WR
Toronto
Toronto

18 (-)
Brian Jones
WR
Acadia
Enfield, N.S.

19 (16)
Doug Corby
WR
Queens
Burlington, Ont.

20 (-)
Quinn Van Gylswyk
K/P
UBC
Victoria, B

</tbody>

http://www.cfl.ca/2015/12/11/cfl-scouting-bureau-releases-december-rankings-2/

jerrym
12-31-2015, 12:29 AM
Here's some information on the top five in the rankings.

The CFL’s scouting bureau recently released the second of three rankings of the top-20 eligible prospects for the 2016 CFL Canadian draft.

Here is a look at the top five:

1. Tevaun Smith Wide receiver, University of Iowa The Toronto native was second on his team in receiving, with 30 receptions for 546 yards, and scored three touchdowns despite missing three games with a knee injury. A big-game player, Smith scored the longest touchdown of Iowa’s season in the Big Ten championship earlier this month with an 85-yard bomb in a 16-13 loss to Michigan State.

2. David Onyemata Defensive lineman, University of Manitoba The Manitoba Bisons first-team All-Canadian defensive lineman is the highest-ranked CIS and defensive player on the scouting bureau list. During his 2015 campaign, the six-foot-four, 300-pound lineman won the J.P. Metras Trophy as the outstanding down lineman of the year in the CIS.

3. Josiah St. John Offensive lineman, University of Oklahoma A native of Toronto, the six-foot-eight, 308-pound Oklahoma Sooners offensive tackle has spent two seasons in Norman, Okla., playing in 15 games and starting in four (all in 2015). After a journey that took him from Toronto to Fresno to Texas and now to Norman, he will play in the college football playoffs against the Clemson Tigers on Dec. 31.

4. Mehdi Abdesmad Defensive lineman, Boston College The Montreal native, six-foot-seven and 287 pounds, overcame knee injuries that kept him out of the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Abdesmad appeared in 39 games during his time at Boston College, finishing with 98 total tackles (58 solo), 21.5 tackles for a loss and 7.5 sacks.

5. Arjen Colquhoun Cornerback, Michigan State A native of Windsor, Ont., Colquhoun has been nicknamed “The Canadian Flash.” The six-foot-one, 202-pound cornerback played in 13 games in 2015 and started in 10. He accumulated 35 total tackles (24 solo), 1.5 tackles for a loss, one sack and two interceptions for the Spartans. Like St. John, Colquhoun will be a part of the college football playoffs when Michigan State takes on Alabama Dec. 31.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2015/12/30/sizing-up-cfls-top-five-prospects-for-2016.html

PullTogether73
12-31-2015, 07:13 AM
Since I believe the Argos greatest needs are improvements to their offensive line and defensive secondary, I would like to see them take either OL St. John out of Oklahoma or CB Colquhoun out of Michigan State.

Two guys playing in the CFP tonight are obviously on successful teams - that can only help with their experience as well.

eiben35
12-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Mercer Timmis so they can go with an all-Canadian backfield with Coombs starting and Timmis or Dillon Campbell backing him up. Coombs needs to bloc better to become a statingrb.

doubleblue
12-31-2015, 12:18 PM
In another thread I picked OT St. John in the 1st and WR Noel in the 2nd. Haven't seen any reason so far to change my opinion.

AngeloV
12-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Mercer Timmis so they can go with an all-Canadian backfield with Coombs starting and Timmis or Dillon Campbell backing him up. Coombs needs to bloc better to become a statingrb.

I'm with you on this. I want them to move Coombs to RB so they can have both he and Durie on the field together.

jerrym
12-31-2015, 08:44 PM

While Timmis and Campbell have the power to break tackles many times, Coombs is more of an elusive runner. The Argos also seem to be concerned about Coombs ability to absorb the ongoing punishment that is typical of a running back, having used him on only 8 rushes for yards and 9 rushes for yards his first two seasons, while having him catch 22 receptions for 214 yards and 57 for 486 yards. I think the Argos will continue this trajectory in Coombs career, so I don't see Timmis or Campbell as his backups, although I like both as RBs. The Argos are likely to continue to use Coomb's elusiveness as a runner primarily to gain YAC yards after a reception IMO.

http://www.cfl.ca/team-leaders/

Wobbler
01-01-2016, 02:40 AM
I know nothing about any of these guys. I'm going to wait for Duane Forde to tell me who we should draft.

doubleblue
01-01-2016, 11:47 AM
I know nothing about any of these guys. I'm going to wait for Duane Forde to tell me who we should draft.

Duane may still come with some former Imports Sons who can qualify as Nationals now, from being born in Canada. But none of those that turned up last year (Maxx Forde and Austin Johnson) do not appear to be more than backups at this stage.
Maybe somebody will declare himself early for the draft like Calgary's WR Durant did last year.

Argo57
01-01-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm with Wobbler in regards to knowing these prospects and what they are capable of, however I do know the O-Line and D secondary are in desperate need of repair if Toronto has any chance of contending in 2016 so drafting effectively in these areas would be a start in addressing these needs.
IMO Jim Barker also needs to fill at least one spot in each of these areas through free agency to expedite this process.

OV Argo
01-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Since I believe the Argos greatest needs are improvements to their offensive line and defensive secondary, I would like to see them take either OL St. John out of Oklahoma or CB Colquhoun out of Michigan State.

Two guys playing in the CFP tonight are obviously on successful teams - that can only help with their experience as well.

We're talking the Argos 1st pick this draft I guess > :

As I noted before here - St John was not playing for Oklahoma lately (including in the Bowl game last night) - so, maybe he is nicked/hurt, but if he lost his job as a starter as a Senior, that is not a good sign.

- Colquhon - OTOH - was playing and very well from what I saw of him - a big-sized corner with apparently blazing speed; and plays in a position group where the Argos have IMO big need for upgrades/competition. He might be a fine draft pick IF there is little to no NFL interest, but if there is = stay away.

I get the notion of taking Timmis and maybe having Canadians given a real shot to man the tailback position full-time - Coombs, Campbell and Timmis might be a fine 3 there - a platoon system maybe (like the Esks used to have with several NI backs circa late 80s), and if one emerges as a top notch starter (I would bet on Timmis) - that would be nice. However - little to zero chance this team's "thinkers" with Barker & Millanovich would go with a Canadian at a position they see for imports only - IMO

Vaillancourt is maybe one of the best pure interior O-linemen CFL draft prospects in quite some time IMO - could be an instant CFL starter and maybe a long-time all-star; be nice to get to draft him too maybe, but again - stay away if there is any NFL interest.

Given little to no NFL flight risk- I would go with either Colquhon or Vaillancourt IF still available at #3 (that is where the Argos pick in the 1st round right?); but there is also the huge FA period with gains or losses there to factor in for the draft - and that could mean losing Laing - so could be need to draft a DT (Abdesmad should be way higher ranked than Onyemata IMO); could also go for a receiver - Brian Jones (Acadia) - huge target and athletic for a big receiver - might make a very good CFL slotback (like Sinopoli has for Ottawa) - might be able to get this guy in the 2nd round even, but IMO might be worth the 1st rounder if the team has any interest in a big, tough, sticky hands type slot (none of the so-called big 3 or whatever of last year fits that bill well enough IMO, even though they have some size)

R.J
01-01-2016, 05:46 PM
St. John and Winters are the two guys I'd love to see in double blue. I' half expecting the top 5 rated players to get NFL looks and I think whomever choose Smith and Onyemata, are going to have to wait a long time before they come back to the CFL, if ever. Waters is down south trying to get a job, but either way, I also hope the Argonauts draft Van Gylswyk, we need a kicker big time.

Argo57
01-01-2016, 05:53 PM
St. John and Winters are the two guys I'd love to see in double blue. I' half expecting the top 5 rated players to get NFL looks and I think whomever choose Smith and Onyemata, are going to have to wait a long time before they come back to the CFL, if ever. Waters is down south trying to get a job, but either way, I also hope the Argonauts draft Van Gylswyk, we need a kicker big time.

Yes, hopefully draft a viable replacement for Waters and move on.

OV Argo
01-01-2016, 11:01 PM

I highly doubt Onyemata is even close to anywhere on a top 50 or so on NFL draft radar for DTs at this point; so - unless he blows it up at the upcoming Shrine game he is more likely a rookie camp FA invite type prospect at this point; i'd be much more worried about McEwen getting some decent NFL interest. Smith, Colquhon and Abdesmad are all established quality starters on big Div I programs = decent chance to get drafted. St John not starting (unless it is due to injury) = he won't be high on any NFL radar for OTs.

gilthethrill
01-02-2016, 03:15 PM

In addition to Watters trying to land in the NFL, I noticed that Tristian Okapalugo had a tryout with the New York Jets of the NFL on December 30th.

jerrym
01-02-2016, 03:53 PM
With Owens, Elliott, Gurley, Hazelton, Spencer, Coombs, and Whitaker out of the backfield, I believe the Argos are well set at receiver. I would like to see them focus on the OL or DL with the first round draft choice, by either taking St. John or Onymata. Assuming they are gone by the second round and Timmis is still available, I'd take him next.

doubleblue
01-02-2016, 06:19 PM
I highly doubt Onyemata is even close to anywhere on a top 50 or so on NFL draft radar for DTs at this point; so - unless he blows it up at the upcoming Shrine game he is more likely a rookie camp FA invite type prospect at this point; i'd be much more worried about McEwen getting some decent NFL interest. Smith, Colquhon and Abdesmad are all established quality starters on big Div I programs = decent chance to get drafted. St John not starting (unless it is due to injury) = he won't be high on any NFL radar for OTs.

Any of the NFL sites I have found that rate the 2016 class, have only CB Arjen Colquhoun at Michigan State rated high enough to be drafted. He is rated as a 7th round pick or free agent signing. Free agents make NFL teams every year or their practice rosters but history shows the drafted players get longer looks. After all the NFL Scouts and GM's aren't going to make themselves look bad by cutting drafted players that receive large signing bonus money. That doesn't mean this years crop of Canadian draft eligible players aren't very good. US Colleges turn out players like Ford and GM turn out cars. They all are very similar with not much difference between the top 300 or 400 players IMO. Just a few so called super stars. So IMO I don't think any of the CFL teams should shy away from drafting any of this years crop even if they are going to NFL training camps. Very few are ready to start their first year in the Pros anyway.
I think most of us on this site that have any football knowledge would agree Barker has to go for a Offensive Lineman in the 1st round. Van Zeyl, Keeping and Smith are all slowing down. Former number one picks Mitchell and Sewell, shall we say the jury is still out on them. I think Saskatchewan will take DT Onyemata 1st overall. Montreal doesn't need OLinemen and should take Montreal native DT Abdesmad 2nd overall. That would leave Smith or maybe Colquhoun for BC who also have a half dozen Canadian OL's on their roster. Either way St. John or Vaillancourt should be available for the Argos at #4. Second round then Barker could go for the best skilled player available at #13, which IMO would be WR Noel from the Windsor AKO Jrs. Big kid (6'2-6'3 220 with 4.4 speed) who would make an impact on ST's while he learned the Offense.
But every year as more than a few on here would agree, teams draft players that makes one shake their head. Like Winnipeg using this year's #1 pick drafting Hal Waggner's grandson thinking he was Hal Waggner I guess. But I trust Jim Barker and we won't have to have a "what were they thinking" thread on his picks.

paulwoods13
01-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Former number one picks Mitchell and Sewell, shall we say the jury is still out on them.

That's extremely generous to Mitchell. Jury's in on him -- career backup. Sewell remains TBD but the clock is ticking.

doubleblue
01-02-2016, 07:59 PM
That's extremely generous to Mitchell. Jury's in on him -- career backup. Sewell remains TBD but the clock is ticking.

I was thinking their Mother's might read these posts. ;)

OV Argo
01-03-2016, 01:21 PM

Mitchell has actually proven more in the CFL than Sewell, as he started a good part of a season at guard for the Esks; Sewell had that one start at OT where he got beat often (by Chick - best DE in the league who makes all kinds of OTs look bad at times), but NIs playing OT are graded harshly compared to interior O-linemen. I'd bet they are both career back-ups - at least with the Argos, who thought so little of them last season that they instead air-lifted in and handed playing time to a couple of real raw rookie & stiff import O-linemen when it was time for some new guys to get playing time on the O-line. Sewell isn't going to get to start at OT unless it is a pre-determined NI pencilled in at OT due to the ratio thing - which I don't think will happen with this Argo team having a number of capable NI starters on defence.

OV Argo
01-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Any of the NFL sites I have found that rate the 2016 class, have only CB Arjen Colquhoun at Michigan State rated high enough to be drafted. He is rated as a 7th round pick or free agent signing. Free agents make NFL teams every year or their practice rosters but history shows the drafted players get longer looks. After all the NFL Scouts and GM's aren't going to make themselves look bad by cutting drafted players that receive large signing bonus money. That doesn't mean this years crop of Canadian draft eligible players aren't very good. US Colleges turn out players like Ford and GM turn out cars. They all are very similar with not much difference between the top 300 or 400 players IMO. Just a few so called super stars. So IMO I don't think any of the CFL teams should shy away from drafting any of this years crop even if they are going to NFL training camps. Very few are ready to start their first year in the Pros anyway.
I think most of us on this site that have any football knowledge would agree Barker has to go for a Offensive Lineman in the 1st round. Van Zeyl, Keeping and Smith are all slowing down. Former number one picks Mitchell and Sewell, shall we say the jury is still out on them. I think Saskatchewan will take DT Onyemata 1st overall. Montreal doesn't need OLinemen and should take Montreal native DT Abdesmad 2nd overall. That would leave Smith or maybe Colquhoun for BC who also have a half dozen Canadian OL's on their roster. Either way St. John or Vaillancourt should be available for the Argos at #4. Second round then Barker could go for the best skilled player available at #13, which IMO would be WR Noel from the Windsor AKO Jrs. Big kid (6'2-6'3 220 with 4.4 speed) who would make an impact on ST's while he learned the Offense.
But every year as more than a few on here would agree, teams draft players that makes one shake their head. Like Winnipeg using this year's #1 pick drafting Hal Waggner's grandson thinking he was Hal Waggner I guess. But I trust Jim Barker and we won't have to have a "what were they thinking" thread on his picks.

Pretty sure I have seen Abdesmad on some NFL draft rankings; Tevan Smith at receiver for sure.

AND - you can count on, IMO, all kinds of WTF picks in the CFL draft every year, and from allmost all teams.

paulwoods13
01-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Mitchell has actually proven more in the CFL than Sewell, as he started a good part of a season at guard for the Esks; Sewell had that one start at OT where he got beat often (by Chick - best DE in the league who makes all kinds of OTs look bad at times), but NIs playing OT are graded harshly compared to interior O-linemen. I'd bet they are both career back-ups - at least with the Argos, who thought so little of them last season that they instead air-lifted in and handed playing time to a couple of real raw rookie & stiff import O-linemen when it was time for some new guys to get playing time on the O-line. Sewell isn't going to get to start at OT unless it is a pre-determined NI pencilled in at OT due to the ratio thing - which I don't think will happen with this Argo team having a number of capable NI starters on defence.

Yes, Mitchell has been given quite a bit of playing time in the CFL. The fact he was barely on the roster last season, on a team with a weak o-line, tells me he is at best a serviceable backup. I'm not prepared to give up on Sewell but this is the year when he needs to assert himself as a potential every-down player. He's had two full seasons of practice to learn the pro game. Some guys don't get it until their third season.

ArgoRavi
01-03-2016, 03:34 PM

Jim Barker has said that he would ideally like to have five Canadians starting on the offensive line so if Sewell or Mitchell were seen as capable starters there is no reason to believe that they wouldn't be starting. I doubt Mitchell will ever be a regular starter in this league but I am still hopeful for Sewell. This will be a key training camp for him though.

jerrym
01-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Jim Barker has said that he would ideally like to have five Canadians starting on the offensive line so if Sewell or Mitchell were seen as capable starters there is no reason to believe that they wouldn't be starting. I doubt Mitchell will ever be a regular starter in this league but I am still hopeful for Sewell. This will be a key training camp for him though.

The key question for the 2016 draft is whether they could draft someone who could immediately perform well enough to take a starting OL starting position if Mitchell and Sewell don't work out. I suspect this is likely not going to happen this year, although building towards a all-Canadian OL is still an important objective in the draft. In the meantime, the signing of Foley and Miles, and the pursuit of free agents of Laing, Greenwood and Gabriel to fill other positions, as well as the continuing development of Coombs, are important in allowing the team to go with less than five Nationals on the OL if the 2016 candidates look shaky.

doubleblue
01-03-2016, 05:05 PM

I remember watching Mitchell and Blake (currently with Montreal) play for Baylor back when it was their Senior and Junior year. Mitchell played LT and Blake was the Center. I thought at the time Mitchell looked very ordinary but Blake was quite dominant playing Center. Out leading run blocking after the snap and over powering the DLine. Mitchell looked good at that year's CFL combo though and seemed like a good pick for Edmonton 1st overall. But it goes to show that just because someone starts in Div I football it doesn't make them a shoo in to start in the CFL, even if they are Canadian and with the ratio rules. I thought Blake would go on to have long career in the NFL as a Center. But that didn't work out, and I thought at times he was the weak link on the Montreal Line in passing situations this past year. But it does appear that Mitchell will never develop into a starter at Tackle or Guard. Leo Cahill use to say he could take someone like Mitchell and make a center out of him. Don't know about that in today's CFL though with the speed and size of the DLine and all. Still have hope Sewell can one day play Right Tackle. Very difficult to give up on someone with his physical tools, as long as he has a passion for the game. Miles Gorrell and Chris Walby kicked around for a few years before they became starters and they ended up playing a long time.

OV Argo
01-03-2016, 05:55 PM
I remember watching Mitchell and Blake (currently with Montreal) play for Baylor back when it was their Senior and Junior year. Mitchell played LT and Blake was the Center. I thought at the time Mitchell looked very ordinary but Blake was quite dominant playing Center. Out leading run blocking after the snap and over powering the DLine. Mitchell looked good at that year's CFL combo though and seemed like a good pick for Edmonton 1st overall. But it goes to show that just because someone starts in Div I football it doesn't make them a shoo in to start in the CFL, even if they are Canadian and with the ratio rules. I thought Blake would go on to have long career in the NFL as a Center. But that didn't work out, and I thought at times he was the weak link on the Montreal Line in passing situations this past year. But it does appear that Mitchell will never develop into a starter at Tackle or Guard. Leo Cahill use to say he could take someone like Mitchell and make a center out of him. Don't know about that in today's CFL though with the speed and size of the DLine and all. Still have hope Sewell can one day play Right Tackle. Very difficult to give up on someone with his physical tools, as long as he has a passion for the game. Miles Gorrell and Chris Walby kicked around for a few years before they became starters and they ended up playing a long time.

Justin Sorenson was a several year starting OT in Div I ball at South Carolina - he did not pan out there/ got no shot to play OT for good ole Wally in BC; several years later he is an established starting C in the league (at least he started for a GC winning O-line last season); all sorts of Canadian OTs get switched to the interior O-line in the CFL (like Matt O'Donnell, Steve Morley) and some pan out quite well there; I'd rather see the Argos draft an accomplished natural guard if that is a position they want to fill (Brent Jones and Ben Heenan started right away in the CFL, as did Chungh for the Bombers last year); Vaillancourt in this year's draft class is arguably more accomplished than any recent CFL draft O-linemen and has pro plus size. Sewell might yet make a good CFL OG and I doubt he gets a real shot to play OT with this Argo team; Mitchell is maybe regarded as a back-up at best, but the team did (re)sign him how many times now ?

NO CFL team now deploys an all-NI O-line except Montreal, and Popp keeps drafting lots of O-linemen to have in the wings and apprentice; there is a bias towards imports at OT by most CFL teams now.

doubleblue
01-03-2016, 07:47 PM
I would say it is more of a case of not enough CFL calibre Canadian Tackles to go around.

OV Argo
01-03-2016, 11:00 PM
I would say it is more of a case of not enough CFL calibre Canadian Tackles to go around.

Yeah; and especially when you convert the top Canadian OTs to interior O-linemen and pencil in imports at the position.

R.J
01-22-2016, 09:32 PM
I highly doubt Onyemata is even close to anywhere on a top 50 or so on NFL draft radar for DTs at this point; so - unless he blows it up at the upcoming Shrine game he is more likely a rookie camp FA invite type prospect at this point; i'd be much more worried about McEwen getting some decent NFL interest.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/how-david-onyemata-went-from-non-player-to-pro-prospect/

Wobbler
01-22-2016, 11:15 PM
FWIW, Onyemata is currently ranked as number 21 out of 223 DT's at NFLdraftscout (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1016296&draftyear=2016&genpos=DT).

OV Argo
01-22-2016, 11:35 PM
FWIW, Onyemata is currently ranked as number 21 out of 223 DT's at NFLdraftscout (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1016296&draftyear=2016&genpos=DT).

Heard he is lining-up at DE at the US Shrine all-star game; and he drew a notice from NFL draft guru Mike Mayock; a good game there could launch him to a pretty decent NFL shot; maybe McEwen has a good game there = see ya Argos ? As far as the many NFL draft sites and their rankings - guys can be all over the place - Brandon Bridge was rated pretty high for QBs on a couple of sites there last year, and all he got was a rookie camp look (with Detroit I think?)

Thanks for that link Wobbler - in checking other Canadian guys / CFL draft prospects - Onyemata is rated higher at his position than Div I guys like CB Colquhon, WR Tevan Smith, and another DT in Abdesmad (Boston College ) who I wouldn't mind seeing the Argos able to draft - especially if one or both of Laing & Cummings bolt.

Wobbler
01-23-2016, 01:24 AM
My pleasure, OV. I've been a fan of nfldraftscout for several years. The site design is horribly dated, but their data are quite good.

doubleblue
01-23-2016, 07:18 AM

He's going to get a good look for sure. Still think it will be by the FA route. A couple of years on a NFL PR where they get him bigger and stronger and he could be a player down there.

paulwoods13
01-23-2016, 08:56 AM
McEwen won't be signing with us any time soon.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/dinos-star-sean-mcewen-gets-chance-to-strut-his-stuff-down-south

ArgoRavi
01-23-2016, 01:50 PM

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/dinos-star-sean-mcewen-gets-chance-to-strut-his-stuff-down-south

If he signs with the Argos, it probably won't happen until close to the start of training camp at the earliest.

OV Argo
01-23-2016, 02:04 PM
If he signs with the Argos, it probably won't happen until close to the start of training camp at the earliest.

Depends on how serious the NFL interest (if any) is - aren't a lot of NFL rookie mini camps over and done well before CFL TCs start? If McEwen goes to a main NFL TC, he might not show up for the Argos till September, if ever.

ArgoRavi
01-23-2016, 04:16 PM
Depends on how serious the NFL interest (if any) is - aren't a lot of NFL rookie mini camps over and done well before CFL TCs start? If McEwen goes to a main NFL TC, he might not show up for the Argos till September, if ever.

IIRC OV, those NFL mini-camps end about a week before CFL rookie camps begin so there isn't much of a gap there.

gilthethrill
01-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Did McEwen not warn CFL teams not to draft him?

OV Argo
01-24-2016, 12:54 PM
IIRC OV, those NFL mini-camps end about a week before CFL rookie camps begin so there isn't much of a gap there.

Yeah, maybe something around that time, but maybe earlier? Anyhow - the Argos should be talking to him to see where his mind is at regarding the CFL and playing in Toronto; if he gets cut early in an NFL mini camp, and sees little other interest there, and if he wants to play football and get paid for it he could report to the Argos right away. And if he does not like the idea of going to Toronto and would rather play close to home, then Barker should be on the phone with Huffnagel to line up something very good in trade return (ie. wayyyyy better than what he got for letting Federkeil go to Calgary) - like a 1st or 2nd round pick, plus a current roster player; I'm betting the Stumps would really want McEwen as they have had injury problems galore on their O-line lately - with young prospect Craighead forced to retire, and Federkeil getting old and oft nicked.

jerrym
01-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Yeah, maybe something around that time, but maybe earlier? Anyhow - the Argos should be talking to him to see where his mind is at regarding the CFL and playing in Toronto; if he gets cut early in an NFL mini camp, and sees little other interest there, and if he wants to play football and get paid for it he could report to the Argos right away. And if he does not like the idea of going to Toronto and would rather play close to home, then Barker should be on the phone with Huffnagel to line up something very good in trade return (ie. wayyyyy better than what he got for letting Federkeil go to Calgary) - like a 1st or 2nd round pick, plus a current roster player; I'm betting the Stumps would really want McEwen as they have had injury problems galore on their O-line lately - with young prospect Craighead forced to retire, and Federkeil getting old and oft nicked.

But if McEwen does not want to play for the Argos and wants to play close to home, how much negotiating leverage would they have with Calgary? I think there is a good chance Calgary would just wait them out, saying something is better than nothing to Toronto.

paulwoods13
01-24-2016, 06:47 PM
If that happens, the Argos should just move on and take nothing -- make him sit. I'd rather have nothing for him than be forced to accept scraps. We can't allow players to hold the league hostage and dictate the team they play for before they even enter the league. There's enough opportunity to do that later thanks to free agency. This is important to the full league, not just us. (Having said that, I doubt he will pull such a move. IMO if he does not stick in the NFL he will sign with us.)

Argo57
01-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Sound like McEwen appreciates the Argonauts treatment and would have no issues playing in Toronto.

Wobbler
01-24-2016, 07:46 PM
Sound like McEwen appreciates the Argonauts treatment and would have no issues playing in Toronto.

I'd love to offer a third interpretation of the same article, but I'm pretty sure that you're both right.

gilthethrill
01-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Well, if McEwen does sign with the NFL, I hope he at least gives the Argo cap back.

ArgoGabe22
01-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Well, if McEwen does sign with the NFL, I hope he at least gives the Argo cap back.

Geez gil, you need to get that Braley way of thinking out of your head.

Argo57
01-24-2016, 08:50 PM
I'd love to offer a third interpretation of the same article, but I'm pretty sure that you're both right.

True Wobbler, my post was more to respond to speculation that McEwen wouldn't like to play in Toronto if his NFL bid fails, this article seems to put that notion to rest.

doubleblue
01-24-2016, 10:19 PM
I thought McEwen and Vaillancourt played well yesterday, especially in passing downs. Probably many available NCAA players are just as good though. Quite often they were double teaming a nose guard. They could being playing side by side for the Argos down the road someday depending on who Barker picks this year. The Manitoba guy was quite a story as he give his opposite left tackle all kinds of problems trying to block him. I can see a NFL team keeping him on a Practice Roster this year to groom him until they feel he's ready. I think he is as good as gone to the NFL.

OV Argo
01-25-2016, 03:17 AM
But if McEwen does not want to play for the Argos and wants to play close to home, how much negotiating leverage would they have with Calgary? I think there is a good chance Calgary would just wait them out, saying something is better than nothing to Toronto.

How could the Stumps just wait it out? - McEwen would remain Argo property if he wants to play in the CFL (as I understand it). Barker could bend Huff over real good if the Stumps really covet McEwen, and tell Huff to stuff it unless he antes up big-time - that's if Barker wants to play tough & smart as IMO a shrewd GM would do on the matter; or - not - just be a nice guy and let McEwen go for a few rolls of tape ? McEwen saying there that he would play in TO is encouraging I guess and I hope it works out, but what else was he going to say?

jerrym
04-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Below is a connection to a video profile of prospect Charles Vaillancourt.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/19/prospect-profile-charles-vaillancourt/

jerrym
04-24-2016, 02:08 PM
In this video Mike Jones talks why his Toronto roots would make it "cool" if Toronto drafted him and what it's like to have a mother who is a strength and conditioning coach who also believes in discipline.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/13/prospect-profile-mike-jones/

jerrym
04-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Llevi Noel is another top prospect with Toronto connections that he discusses in the following video. Toronto is his hometown and where he played at U of T before going to the Windsor Fratmen.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/18/prospect-profile-llevi-noel/

gilthethrill
04-24-2016, 04:26 PM
A bit off topic, but what ever happened to NCAA trained LB Auston Johnson (son of CFL HOF Alondra) who looked like a good prospect last year? After going undrafted, did he even get a TC invite?

jerrym
04-24-2016, 04:28 PM
A different kind of answer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/UCDinos">@UCDinos</a> RB Mercer Timmis listens to what b4 a game? <a href="https://twitter.com/PentonKirk">@PentonKirk</a> was shocked. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a><br>Full 🎥: <a href="https://t.co/vJON2jzRii">https://t.co/vJON2jzRii</a> <a href="https://t.co/PBGoDvaNjs">pic.twitter.com/PBGoDvaNjs</a></p>&mdash; Argos Admirals (@ArgosAdmirals) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArgosAdmirals/status/723139388570365953">April 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoGabe22
04-24-2016, 05:12 PM
A different kind of answer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/UCDinos">@UCDinos</a> RB Mercer Timmis listens to what b4 a game? <a href="https://twitter.com/PentonKirk">@PentonKirk</a> was shocked. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a><br>Full 🎥: <a href="https://t.co/vJON2jzRii">https://t.co/vJON2jzRii</a> <a href="https://t.co/PBGoDvaNjs">pic.twitter.com/PBGoDvaNjs</a></p>&mdash; Argos Admirals (@ArgosAdmirals) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArgosAdmirals/status/723139388570365953">April 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Every player interview listed an NFLer as their football idol except Timmis who answered his grandfather, who apparently played one CFL season.

jerrym
04-24-2016, 08:25 PM
A bit off topic, but what ever happened to NCAA trained LB Auston Johnson (son of CFL HOF Alondra) who looked like a good prospect last year? After going undrafted, did he even get a TC invite?

Here's what I could find on him. His twitter account is "(@A1regime (https://twitter.com/A1regime)) - son of #CFL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash) Hall of Fame LB Alondra", ​but it is protected.

Johnson was one of four players from Monday’s CFL regional draft combine in Edmonton invited to take part in the main combine this weekend in Toronto.
Auston Johnson was born in Calgary during his dad’s playing days and was in Canada long enough to qualify for national status and eligibility for the 2015 CFL draft.

http://www.stampeders.com/2015/03/24/like-father-like-son/

Auston Johnson (LB, 5’11”, 230, South Dakota): The son of Canadian Football Hall of Fame linebacker Alondra Johnson didn’t get a direct invitation to the main combine largely because he was a late addition to the draft eligibility list. His numbers were down in 2014 but the stats line from his 2013 junior season - 69 tackles, seven sacks, 10.5 tackles for loss, and selection to the Missouri Valley Football Conference’s All-Newcomer team – suggest that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree. (Invited to National Combine)

http://www.tsn.ca/forde-edmonton-regional-combine-preview-1.237669

OV Argo
04-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Liking more & more the idea of the Argos taking corner Arjen Colquhon with their 1st pick; doesn't seem like he will get much NFL interest (maybe a FA invite?); and could maybe compete for a starting job right away in an area of need for the Argos. Argos' draft thinkers might be inclined to go traditional and draft an O-Lineman 1st, but a starting corner would sure be nice, and Colquhon might have that kind of talent IMO.

doubleblue
04-26-2016, 01:06 AM
Liking more & more the idea of the Argos taking corner Arjen Colquhon with their 1st pick; doesn't seem like he will get much NFL interest (maybe a FA invite?); and could maybe compete for a starting job right away in an area of need for the Argos. Argos' draft thinkers might be inclined to go traditional and draft an O-Lineman 1st, but a starting corner would sure be nice, and Colquhon might have that kind of talent IMO.

That would be interesting if they thought Colquhon could start at one corner with Matt Black for depth, which would allow for another Import on the O Line.
But I have to think Barker will pick a Canadian O Lineman at #4. GOB thinking. ;)

OV Argo
04-26-2016, 10:29 AM
That would be interesting if they thought Colquhon could start at one corner with Matt Black for depth, which would allow for another Import on the O Line.
But I have to think Barker will pick a Canadian O Lineman at #4. GOB thinking. ;)

IF, Colquhon could start at corner (or Black the starter at first and teaching the rookie the ropes), why does that automatically "allow for" another import on the O-line? - and who would this import be, because other than Van Roten, the only other import O-lineman that i see on the roster now is Finoti and he was far from starter material last year. A real GOB move would be to knee-jerk air-lift in and hand a starting job to another import - just for the sake of it and if they already had "too many" starting NIs - B$ stuff.

A NI starting corner could mean at least 5 starting Canadians on the Argo D (maybe 6 if Miles could win the vacant MLB job). I doubt this happens but a possibility. To go with at least 5 NI starters on O - 4 O-linemen, plus Durie/Coombs at the hybrid slot.

jerrym
04-26-2016, 10:52 AM
IF, Colquhon could start at corner (or Black the starter at first and teaching the rookie the ropes), why does that automatically "allow for" another import on the O-line? - and who would this import be, because other than Van Roten, the only other import O-lineman that i see on the roster now is Finoti and he was far from starter material last year. A real GOB move would be to knee-jerk air-lift in and hand a starting job to another import - just for the sake of it and if they already had "too many" starting NIs - B$ stuff.

A NI starting corner could mean at least 5 starting Canadians on the Argo D (maybe 6 if Miles could win the vacant MLB job). I doubt this happens but a possibility. To go with at least 5 NI starters on O - 4 O-linemen, plus Durie/Coombs at the hybrid slot.

The more Canadian starters that you have than the minimum, the easier it is to plug in an International, when an injury happens, which of course is inevitable.

AngeloV
04-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Now that Alex Singleton has been given non-import status (I refuse to call them Nationals and Internationals), can't help but wonder if the Argos think about taking him. If they have thoughts of starting 2 NI's at LB, the more depth the better.

jerrym
04-26-2016, 02:48 PM
The final Scouting Bureau rankings are out. Do they affect who you think the Argos should select? The article includes profiles of the top five prospects also.

The Canadian Football League Scouting Bureau has released its third and final rankings of the top-20 eligible prospects for the 2016 CFL Canadian Draft that’s taking place on May 10, 2016.
The list features a new number one in town, as David Onyemata has overtaken Tevaun Smith after dominating at his University of Manitoba Pro Day in March.
“Onyemata takes his rightful place at the No. 1 spot,” said CFL.ca’s Justin Dunk. “He’s an ultra athletic 300 pounder who possesses the traits and potential to be a long-time starter in the pros.”
The CFL Combine reflected plenty of change in the way scouts view prospects, as only four players throughout the entire rankings remain static. Meanwhile, two new players have entered the top-20, as Simon Fraser offensive lineman Michael Couture’s combine performance solidified his draft status while linebacker Alex Singleton enters the top 10 after only recently getting eligibility.
“After taking advantage and capitalizing on the opportunity to perform in front of scouts at the CFL Combine, Couture jumps into the final top 20,” said Dunk. “The athletic offensive lineman proved he deserves to be in the top tier of blockers in the 2016 class.”
Acadia receiver Brian Jones may have helped his stock the most, using a strong combine performance to rise from 18 to 10, now making him the second-ranked receiver heading into May’s draft.
“The star of the CFL Combine rises up the rankings,” Dunk added. “Jones is a big, physical receiver who can run and move well for his size at around 230 pounds.”
With the May 10 CFL Draft fast approaching, all that’s left now for the top prospects is to wait.
Below is the full ranking:

<tbody>
APRIL SCOUTING BUREAU RANKINGS

Rank
Name
Position
School
Hometown

1 (2)
David Onyemata
DL
Manitoba
Lagos, Nigeria

2 (1)
Tevaun Smith
WR
Iowa
Toronto

3 (4)
Mehdi Abdesmad
DL
Boston College
Montreal

4 (5)
Arjen Colquhoun
DB
Michigan St.
Windsor, Ont.

5 (3)
Josiah St. John
OL
Oklahoma
Toronto

6 (6)
Charles Vaillancourt
OL
Laval
Coaticook, Que.

7 (-)
Alex Singleton
LB
Montana St.
Thousand Oaks, Calif.

8 (8)
Trent Corney
DL
Virginia
Brockville, Ont.

9 (13)
Philippe Gagnon
OL
Laval
L’Ancienne-Lorette, Que.

10 (18)
Brian Jones
WR
Acadia
Enfield, N.S.

11 (9)
Taylor Loffler
DB
UBC
Kelowna, B.C.

12 (12)
Juwan Brescacin
WR
Northern Illinois
Mississauga, Ont.

13 (7)
Mercer Timmis
RB
Calgary
Burlington, Ont.

14 (11)
Dillon Guy
OL
Buffalo
Hamilton, Ont.

15 (15)
Anthony Thompson
DB
Southern Illinois
Montreal

16 (-)
Michael Couture
OL
Simon Fraser
Burnaby, B.C.

17 (14)
Jason Lauzon-Seguin
OL
Laval
Pointe-Claire, Que.

18 (16)
Elie Bouka
DB
Calgary
Laval, Que.

19 (17)
Llevi Noel
WR
Toronto
Toronto

20 (19)
Doug Corby
WR
Queens
Burlington, Ont.

</tbody>

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/26/onyemata-takes-over-as-cfl-scouting-bureau-releases-final-rankings/

OV Argo
04-26-2016, 08:55 PM
The upcoming NFL draft (this week) and subsequent FA signings will affect CFL draft thinking. Some of these top CFL prospects may become identified as NFL flight risks = CFL teams might be leery of using top picks on them.

Onyemata and Abdesmad (both D-lineman) I'd bet on getting NFL drafted; some other guys from the CFL Prospects list might get FA signed or maybe rookie mini camp invites - I;ll guess Tevaun Smith, Vaillancourt, plus maybe Corney or Colquhon fall in that category.

argolio
04-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Onyemata was drafted in the 4th round today by the Saints (four years after they took Regina DL Akiem Hicks), which is probably no surprise to any CFL team.

OV Argo
04-30-2016, 06:41 PM
With only the final 2, last round picks left, looks like Onyemata is the only top CFL draft prospect to get taken in the NFL draft.

= generally good news for CFL teams; but there is still the undrafted FA frenzy and rookie mini-camp invites to consider.

Didn't notice many centres getting taken, so that might be good news for McEwen's NFL chances ?

doubleblue
04-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Well so far only one drafted but 8 either signed to a contract or invited to a NFL mini camp. I can see another 4 or 5 invited to mini camps. The CFL has to do something about losing the top Canadian talent year after year. I have no issue with the players because of the money involved. We would all do the same. Football life is short and there is no comparison between the NFL minimum and the CFL paydays.

At one time the CFL allowed teams to have top Import players become Non-Imports if they could obtain their Canadian Citizenship. I can remember those great Hamilton teams having stars like John Barrow, Angelo Mosca, Ellison Kelly and Bernie Faloney and others being classified as Canadians. The Argos had players like Dick Shatto, Dave Mann and Billy Shipp and others. These were top import players not run of the mill guys. That rule of course got changed because of some law suit, which I never understood the CFL couldn't have found a way around it.

But back to the present situation of the top Canadians being picked off. Some might suggest going to 4 or 5 starters instead of 7. However I believe the CFLPA have 7 starters in their agreement with the League, so that is out the window. The League has changed the rule starting last year to allow any player who can become a Canadian BEFORE he signs with a CFL team to be classed as a National.
Maybe helps a little with the talent pool, but doesn't stop the top Canadians going to the NFL. The League suffers because of the ratio rules.
Why couldn't the CFL pass another rule on their on going changeable National rule. Say Saskatchewan picks Onyemata, but he will sign with the Saints. The Riders then would have the option of naming their most senior "International" as a "National". By doing so they would then lose their CFL rights to Onyemata if he ever came back to the CFL as he would become a free agent for CFL purposes. So a Team would have to make a decision when their drafted National signed with a NFL team. Do we replace him with our most Senior International or wait things out.
Can't see the CFLPA having any say in such a rule as long as the 7 starters and 21 designated Nationals was still in play. But it would certainly soften the blow of losing the top rated Canadians to the NFL year after year. Would be a good time to get rid of the present QB rule as well. Just go back to X (21) number of Nationals and X (23) number of Internationals. So say the Argos top pick signs in the NFL, no problem, Ricky Ray becomes a National. Everybody wins. The Canadian kid gets the big money and the CFL gets to improve the talent level of their National roster.

OV Argo
04-30-2016, 11:53 PM
Well so far only one drafted but 8 either signed to a contract or invited to a NFL mini camp. I can see another 4 or 5 invited to mini camps. The CFL has to do something about losing the top Canadian talent year after year. I have no issue with the players because of the money involved. We would all do the same. Football life is short and there is no comparison between the NFL minimum and the CFL paydays.

At one time the CFL allowed teams to have top Import players become Non-Imports if they could obtain their Canadian Citizenship. I can remember those great Hamilton teams having stars like John Barrow, Angelo Mosca, Ellison Kelly and Bernie Faloney and others being classified as Canadians. The Argos had players like Dick Shatto, Dave Mann and Billy Shipp and others. These were top import players not run of the mill guys. That rule of course got changed because of some law suit, which I never understood the CFL couldn't have found a way around it.

But back to the present situation of the top Canadians being picked off. Some might suggest going to 4 or 5 starters instead of 7. However I believe the CFLPA have 7 starters in their agreement with the League, so that is out the window. The League has changed the rule starting last year to allow any player who can become a Canadian BEFORE he signs with a CFL team to be classed as a National.
Maybe helps a little with the talent pool, but doesn't stop the top Canadians going to the NFL. The League suffers because of the ratio rules.
Why couldn't the CFL pass another rule on their on going changeable National rule. Say Saskatchewan picks Onyemata, but he will sign with the Saints. The Riders then would have the option of naming their most senior "International" as a "National". By doing so they would then lose their CFL rights to Onyemata if he ever came back to the CFL as he would become a free agent for CFL purposes. So a Team would have to make a decision when their drafted National signed with a NFL team. Do we replace him with our most Senior International or wait things out.
Can't see the CFLPA having any say in such a rule as long as the 7 starters and 21 designated Nationals was still in play. But it would certainly soften the blow of losing the top rated Canadians to the NFL year after year. Would be a good time to get rid of the present QB rule as well. Just go back to X (21) number of Nationals and X (23) number of Internationals. So say the Argos top pick signs in the NFL, no problem, Ricky Ray becomes a National. Everybody wins. The Canadian kid gets the big money and the CFL gets to improve the talent level of their National roster.

Lots of CFL "fans" or gob types might like to see only 4 or 5 NI starters in favor of more imports; sorry - not me though and the idea is total garbage IMO. Enough with the B$ scam ideas to allow more imports in the CANADIAN Football League.

There's more Canadian talent than ever, and yes, a few of them get an NFL look, but the NI talent pool is still larger than ever. And great CFL days of the past featured more NIs than imports. CFL gobs might start considering letting Canadian talent compete at ALL positions, including QB, rather than pencilling-in a whole bunch of positions for imports only, and there would be no "ratio problems".

Here's my counter CFL roster proposal: 42 man roster (I'd say a 40 man roster is big enough, but the CFLPA would never agree - they're about protecting more jobs) - with 23 NIs and 19 imports, and do away with the silly designated import garbage, plus NIs not counting as QBs = in theory, fully 3 quarters of the starting positions on O & D, and a special teams guy, could be imports. Not American enough for the "radically canadian" CFL?

The highest paid positions in the CFL go to QBs and then other starters; but Canadians almost never get to compete for the highest paid job, and usually only 7 others get to compete for the other higher paid starting jobs. The whining I hear from some CFL cliche bleaters that some Canadian players are so over-paid and get to extort big money from helpless CFL GMs (NI O-linemen in particular), while imports must be all up here playing for minimum wage in comparison is laughable (though a documented list of CFL salaries as evidence could change my mind there). This CFL salary cry-babying and sermonizing and the lack of respect for Canadian talent I read at times (not here, but on another CFL fan site) is enough to make me puke at times.

:sick:

paulwoods13
05-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Here's my counter CFL roster proposal: 42 man roster (I'd say a 40 man roster is big enough, but the CFLPA would never agree - they're about protecting more jobs) - with 23 NIs and 19 imports, and do away with the silly designated import garbage, plus NIs not counting as QBs = in theory, fully 3 quarters of the starting positions on O & D, and a special teams guy, could be imports. Not American enough for the "radically canadian" CFL?

Interesting concept. All teams would undoubtedly keep at least two INT QBs, but this would provide incentive to sign a NAT as a third QB. So rosters would look like this:

2 or 3 INT QBs (1 starter)
16 or 17 other INTs (most but maybe not all starting)
Minimum 7 starting NATs, more if some INTs do not start

On first blush I think it has merit.

doubleblue
05-01-2016, 09:46 AM
OVArgo said:
There's more Canadian talent than ever, and yes, a few of them get an NFL look, but the NI talent pool is still larger than ever. And great CFL days of the past featured more NIs than imports. CFL gobs might start considering letting Canadian talent compete at ALL positions, including QB, rather than pencilling-in a whole bunch of positions for imports only, and there would be no "ratio problems".

I can remember the "good old days" when CFL teams had a roster of 18 Canadians and 14 Americans. So there was a minimum of 10 starting Canadians. But that was also the good old days of the Naturalized Canadians. Hamilton with Ralph Sazio really took advantage of the gob rules back, but here's the list of their starting Canadians to the best of my memory in the early sixties. (I may miss some) LT Ellison Kelly, LG Hardiman Cureton (both naturalized Canadians) C Chet Mikza (a real Canadian) RG Bill Danychuk, RT Bronco Nagurski & FB Gerry McDougall (all American raised Canadian citizens). WR Tommy Grant (a real Canadian) QB Bernie Faloney (naturalized Canadian).
DE Ron Ray (American raised Canadian citizen) DT's John Barrow & Angelo Mosca (naturalized Canadians) MG Vince Scott (naturalized Canadian) DB Billy Wayte (American raised Canadian) They also had a few other Real Canadians playing at times like LB's Zeno Karcz and Bobby Kuntz, plus DE Pete Neuman. I believe DB Ralph Goldston and QB Tom Dublinski became Naturalized Canadians sometime back then as well.
Most of these "Canadians" were playing when the Hamilton Tiger Cats drubbed the Buffalo Bills in 1961. So Hamilton was for all intent and purposes starting an all American line up back then and nobody was complaining (that I heard of, except the losers probably). Maybe there should be a star beside some of those Hamilton Championships back then. Saying (These Championships were not won with 10 real starting Canadians).

doubleblue
05-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Interesting concept. All teams would undoubtedly keep at least two INT QBs, but this would provide incentive to sign a NAT as a third QB. So rosters would look like this:

I have always been all for getting rid of the QB rule that doesn't give the Canadian QB's a chance to make a team and develop like the other positions. I think that rule could be tweaked with out going through CFLPA. Changing the roster from the present game day 21 Canadians and really 23 Americans might not get past the Owners. They might well want to keep that 3 QB spots of any Nationality (lol) as counting on the International side. But I could live with 21 Canadians, (7 starters) and 23 Americans of any description.
It would be a start for us to see Canadian QB's get a chance. Montreal and Calgary would be ok right now with one of their QB's being Canadian. Ottawa could use Sinopoli in a pinch. There are always a number American players who were QB's in College that switch to WR or DB in the pros, but they could be available as a 3rd QB for teams that didn't have a Canadian available just yet.

OV Argo
05-01-2016, 10:30 AM
OVArgo said:

I can remember the "good old days" when CFL teams had a roster of 18 Canadians and 14 Americans. So there was a minimum of 10 starting Canadians. But that was also the good old days of the Naturalized Canadians. Hamilton with Ralph Sazio really took advantage of the gob rules back, but here's the list of their starting Canadians to the best of my memory in the early sixties. (I may miss some) LT Ellison Kelly, LG Hardiman Cureton (both naturalized Canadians) C Chet Mikza (a real Canadian) RG Bill Danychuk, RT Bronco Nagurski & FB Gerry McDougall (all American raised Canadian citizens). WR Tommy Grant (a real Canadian) QB Bernie Faloney (naturalized Canadian).
DE Ron Ray (American raised Canadian citizen) DT's John Barrow & Angelo Mosca (naturalized Canadians) MG Vince Scott (naturalized Canadian) DB Billy Wayte (American raised Canadian) They also had a few other Real Canadians playing at times like LB's Zeno Karcz and Bobby Kuntz, plus DE Pete Neuman. I believe DB Ralph Goldston and QB Tom Dublinski became Naturalized Canadians sometime back then as well.
Most of these "Canadians" were playing when the Hamilton Tiger Cats drubbed the Buffalo Bills in 1961. So Hamilton was for all intent and purposes starting an all American line up back then and nobody was complaining (that I heard of, except the losers probably). Maybe there should be a star beside some of those Hamilton Championships back then. Saying (These Championships were not won with 10 real starting Canadians).

Those were interesting and different times and that "naturalized" Canadian rule was not in place that long. And after it was gone, there were CFL rosters that featured more Canadians than imports, more Canadians starting than just 7, and the football was very good - think 70s. 80s CFL = IMO quite a bit better CFL football than we see know (but that is a different topic really)

I can remember the good old days of 94 when the BC Lions with a more than 50% Canadian roster, and more NI starters than in the CFL now, beat the supposedly oh so superior all import Baltimore team in the GC. I can also remember good old days of the Ottawa Rough Riders winning back to back GCs when a lot of their top talent starters (Russ Jackson, Ron Stewart, Whit Tucker, Moe Racine, Joe Poirier to name a few) were Canadians - maybe there should be a star beside those GC teams so current CFL GOBS learn some CFL history and respect for Canadian talent - at all positions, not just finding 7.

OV Argo
05-01-2016, 10:33 AM

You know that would never happen in the way the CFL has become now Paul. Not a chance in hell the league changes it's Americans first ways - without folding or being blown up and started all over again

OV Argo
05-01-2016, 10:46 AM
I have always been all for getting rid of the QB rule that doesn't give the Canadian QB's a chance to make a team and develop like the other positions. I think that rule could be tweaked with out going through CFLPA. Changing the roster from the present game day 21 Canadians and really 23 Americans might not get past the Owners. They might well want to keep that 3 QB spots of any Nationality (lol) as counting on the International side. But I could live with 21 Canadians, (7 starters) and 23 Americans of any description.
It would be a start for us to see Canadian QB's get a chance. Montreal and Calgary would be ok right now with one of their QB's being Canadian. Ottawa could use Sinopoli in a pinch. There are always a number American players who were QB's in College that switch to WR or DB in the pros, but they could be available as a 3rd QB for teams that didn't have a Canadian available just yet.

IMO - there are probably about 20 or so star CIS QBs from the past 10 years or so (i.e. they could still be playing football) who were/are easily as good or better than stiffs like Tanner Marsh, Brian Brohm, Seth Doege, etc, who have got to not only make CFL rosters, but got to play. There would be no issue IMO with some of these Canadian QBs (i could provide a list of names but not sure you would have heard of them) making CFL rosters as 2nd or 3rd string QBs, and maybe once in awhile they get a shot to progress to become a good starter. Not going to happen though in the CFL where they do not even get a real try-out and where the GOBs want nothing to do with them in favor of any American QBs they can find. Ottawa is not about to switch Sinopoli back to QB after a thousand yard receiving season - though they could i guess, he's iMO a better QB than mediocres like O'Brien & Demarco they have as back-ups - there are other Canadian QBs lately as good or better than Sinopoli was at the position, IMO = there would be zero need to desperately look for American ex-QBs now playing DB or receiver- but I guess you would assume they would automatically be better.

jerrym
05-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Taylor Loftier talks about his two ACL tears and other injuries while playing for Boise State and UBC in the video below. A true comeback kid.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/28/prospect-profile-taylor-loffler/

jerrym
05-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Below is an interview with Doug Parrish. If the name sounds familiar, it's because his father of the same name played for the 1993 Grey Cup champion Eskimos.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/26/prospect-profile-doug-parrish/

jerrym
05-01-2016, 04:44 PM
The following article discusses an immediate impact draft choice over each of the last five years to show how important making a right choice can be to a team's success.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/27/instant-impact-cfl-draft-can-provide-immediate-help/

gilthethrill
05-01-2016, 09:18 PM
I have yet to hear about McEwen getting mini camp invite or a FA contract from an NFL team. We may see him at Argo camp next month after all.

doubleblue
05-01-2016, 09:22 PM
The final Scouting Bureau rankings are out. Do they affect who you think the Argos should select? The article includes profiles of the top five prospects also.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/26/onyemata-takes-over-as-cfl-scouting-bureau-releases-final-rankings/

Meanwhile back at the 2016 CFL draft. We can take the top four plus Burka off the projected first round list IMO. Very good chance they will spend a year or two on the Practice Roster at least. The mini camp invites, history shows, generally get released after the NFL has had a close up look at them for future reference. Hufnagel's son was Scouting for the NY Giants last year and seemed to be the connection with all those players going to the Giants camp. He is suppose to be working for Dad this year in Calgary, but he still may be passing on notes to NY.
So the top of the class should start with St. John and Vaillancourt, which is where some experts have been projecting things anyway. Still think Barker will take an offensive lineman at #4. Kind of hope it is Vaillancourt but he will probably go #1 to Saskatchewan. But St. John should still be there at #4 as BC may take the local boy Couture and Montreal one of the Laval guys. But if Barker decides he can still get a pretty good O Lineman at #13 maybe he goes off the charts and takes this big SB Brian Jones that OV has been pushing. He looked good at the Combine.
Haven't heard anything about McEwen being signed to even a mini camp yet, so he could be a TC after all.

OV Argo
05-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Meanwhile back at the 2016 CFL draft. We can take the top four plus Burka off the projected first round list IMO. Very good chance they will spend a year or two on the Practice Roster at least. The mini camp invites, history shows, generally get released after the NFL has had a close up look at them for future reference. Hufnagel's son was Scouting for the NY Giants last year and seemed to be the connection with all those players going to the Giants camp. He is suppose to be working for Dad this year in Calgary, but he still may be passing on notes to NY.
So the top of the class should start with St. John and Vaillancourt, which is where some experts have been projecting things anyway. Still think Barker will take an offensive lineman at #4. Kind of hope it is Vaillancourt but he will probably go #1 to Saskatchewan. But St. John should still be there at #4 as BC may take the local boy Couture and Montreal one of the Laval guys. But if Barker decides he can still get a pretty good O Lineman at #13 maybe he goes off the charts and takes this big SB Brian Jones that OV has been pushing. He looked good at the Combine.
Haven't heard anything about McEwen being signed to even a mini camp yet, so he could be a TC after all.

Aside from the son of Huff scouting for the Giants connection, a bigger factor may be that their assistant GM Kevin Abrams is a Canadian and graduate of Western. The Giants gave a whole bunch of Canadian (& CFL draft prospect) players a mini-camp look last year and are doing so again. This, IMO, is a glaring insight into the factors of scouting and the backgrounds, bias and mind-set of football decision makers. Abrams knows of and has some respect for Canadian football talent - he may not be in the position to get some of these Canadian players on the Giants roster, but he can have an influence in at least getting them a look - and from there, with some luck or good showing in a mini-camp, some of these players COULD make the big buck$ & prestige NFL. And also maybe that NFL mini-camp experience helps make some of these players better for the CFL - with even a bit of NFL coaching and tough competition.

Vaillancourt has a couple of NFL mini-camp invites; haven't heard about any for St John - which might make him a more appealing and safe pick for a CFL team ?

My hoped for Argo draft pick - corner Arjen Colquhon (Michigan State) has signed a FA contract with the Cowboys - damn/drag = stay away with a top CFL draft pick.

Maybe McEwen's NFL mini camp shot last year was all he was going to get and not again this year? = great news for the Argos maybe ?

KCargosfan
05-01-2016, 10:13 PM
My hoped for Argo draft pick - corner Arjen Colquhon (Michigan State) has signed a FA contract with the Cowboys - damn/drag = stay away with a top CFL draft pick.

Probably worth a 3rd rounder on if he is still available.

doubleblue
05-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Aside from the son of Huff scouting for the Giants connection, a bigger factor may be that their assistant GM Kevin Abrams is a Canadian and graduate of Western. The Giants gave a whole bunch of Canadian (& CFL draft prospect) players a mini-camp look last year and are doing so again. This, IMO, is a glaring insight into the factors of scouting and the backgrounds, bias and mind-set of football decision makers. Abrams knows of and has some respect for Canadian football talent - he may not be in the position to get some of these Canadian players on the Giants roster, but he can have an influence in at least getting them a look - and from there, with some luck or good showing in a mini-camp, some of these players COULD make the big buck$ & prestige NFL. And also maybe that NFL mini-camp experience helps make some of these players better for the CFL - with even a bit of NFL coaching and tough competition.

Vaillancourt has a couple of NFL mini-camp invites; haven't heard about any for St John - which might make him a more appealing and safe pick for a CFL team ?

Maybe McEwen's NFL mini camp shot last year was all he was going to get and not again this year? = great news for the Argos maybe ?

Do we make the assumption then that Abrams is doing the CFL teams a favour by bringing in many of the top unsigned players for a mini camp look. Giving the CFL teams one last look at these guys against some of the top American players. I'm such a suspicious person. lol
But come on, players like Timmons and Corby will probably be useful pros in the CFL because of their Nationality, but NFL calibre ? I don't think so.

ArgoGabe22
05-02-2016, 03:04 PM
I have respect for the Giants that they are willing to give CIS players a chance but I'm not so sure that they need to invite everyone. It sounds like only the Giants are offering invites to some players and of course a player will probably not decline but if there's multiple offers on the table then I'm not sure I'd want to attend the same camp with a boatload of other CIS players. It's worth a look but I doubt the Giants will ask any of them to stick around.

OV Argo
05-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Do we make the assumption then that Abrams is doing the CFL teams a favour by bringing in many of the top unsigned players for a mini camp look. Giving the CFL teams one last look at these guys against some of the top American players. I'm such a suspicious person. lol
But come on, players like Timmons and Corby will probably be useful pros in the CFL because of their Nationality, but NFL calibre ? I don't think so.

- Interesting; your lack of respect for top-notch CIS or Canadian talent is kind of notable.

Did you think Henoc Muamba was "NFL calibre"? - because he made an NFL roster and played there, while top CFL import LB talent like Elimimian or Bighill or Sherritt have not.

Interesting how there can be multiple comments/interest here on this Devon Wylie trying out for the Argos and you or others seemed very impressed by YouTube type highlights or mini camp reports on such American players, but you think Doug Corby - fastest time at the CFL Combine, and very productive CIS receiver - is maybe only good for the CFL because of "nationality", and the Giants must have little clue in giving him a look? You do realize that a couple of star CIS O-linemen - Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff and David Foucault - made the NFL right out of CIS ball recently? Yet your assessment of the Argo O-line surmises they should plug-in a few "Americans" that you can't even name but assume are automatically better than Canadian O-linemen available to the Argos ? Do you think Abrams has told the Giants he wants to waste their time and bring in some of this inferior Canadian talent just for the benefit CFL teams to have a look at ?

Not sure if "suspicious" covers it, but your mind-set towards pre-judging football talent is maybe quite obvious.

doubleblue
05-02-2016, 04:39 PM
- Interesting; your lack of respect for top-notch CIS or Canadian talent is kind of notable.

Did you think Henoc Muamba was "NFL calibre"? - because he made an NFL roster and played there, while top CFL import LB talent like Elimimian or Bighill or Sherritt have not.

Interesting how there can be multiple comments/interest here on this Devon Wylie trying out for the Argos and you or others seemed very impressed by YouTube type highlights or mini camp reports on such American players, but you think Doug Corby - fastest time at the CFL Combine, and very productive CIS receiver - is maybe only good for the CFL because of "nationality", and the Giants must have little clue in giving him a look? You do realize that a couple of star CIS O-linemen - Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff and David Foucault - made the NFL right out of CIS ball recently? Yet your assessment of the Argo O-line surmises they should plug-in a few "Americans" that you can't even name but assume are automatically better than Canadian O-linemen available to the Argos ? Do you think Abrams has told the Giants he wants to waste their time and bring in some of this inferior Canadian talent just for the benefit CFL teams to have a look at ?

Not sure if "suspicious" covers it, but your mind-set towards pre-judging football talent is maybe quite obvious.

I don't believe I ever said I was impressed by this guy Wylie. He could be made for the CFL as he is undersized for the NFL but has speed and quickness. Seems to be able to get separation. We will have to wait and see how he does against the vets.
Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff and Muamba were/are in a different category talent wise than Timmons and Corby IMO. Foucault hasn't proven anything yet except he has that great size that is difficult to find. I expect him to be cut this year to make room for this year's Panther rookie crop and I don't believe he will ever be as good as Bourke and Perrett in Montreal.
The only one going to this NY Giant mini camp that has a NFL chance IMO is Vaillancourt. Last year's crop of Chung, Waud and McEwen were better IMO and they all were released.
About those three import LB's you mentioned and I believe you know why they aren't in the NFL. They're talented but too small. Muamba was bulked up to about 240 and he is still a bubble guy down there.
Lets see what else was there. Ok the Argo O Line. I have No problem with Bourke and Holmes (good Canadian boys) Van Zeyl struggled last year at RT, and they could hide him better at Guard where I thought he played well there a couple of years ago. Wayne Smith IMO can do a good job part time but not every down for 18 games. So that leaves Center and RT as holes to plug with Imports. Van Roten is a good Center, but the RT is still nameless at this point if it isn't Van Zeyl. I sure Barker has a couple either signed or is waiting on someone to come free down South. One guy that could fit the bill is that RT Hamilton has had for a couple of years Joel Figuero (sp)? He was a free agent the last I heard. But I'm all for Canadian boys playing if they're good enough, but with an immobile Ricky Ray as your QB it is no time for experiments.

OV Argo
05-02-2016, 04:55 PM
I don't believe I ever said I was impressed by this guy Wylie. He could be made for the CFL as he is undersized for the NFL but has speed and quickness. Seems to be able to get separation. We will have to wait and see how he does against the vets.
Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff and Muamba were/are in a different category talent wise than Timmons and Corby IMO. Foucault hasn't proven anything yet except he has that great size that is difficult to find. I expect him to be cut this year to make room for this year's Panther rookie crop and I don't believe he will ever be as good as Bourke and Perrett in Montreal.
The only one going to this NY Giant mini camp that has a NFL chance IMO is Vaillancourt. Last year's crop of Chung, Waud and McEwen were better IMO and they all were released.
About those three import LB's you mentioned and I believe you know why they aren't in the NFL. They're talented but too small. Muamba was bulked up to about 240 and he is still a bubble guy down there.
Lets see what else was there. Ok the Argo O Line. I have No problem with Bourke and Holmes (good Canadian boys) Van Zeyl struggled last year at RT, and they could hide him better at Guard where I thought he played well there a couple of years ago. Wayne Smith IMO can do a good job part time but not every down for 18 games. So that leaves Center and RT as holes to plug with Imports. Van Roten is a good Center, but the RT is still nameless at this point if it isn't Van Zeyl. I sure Barker has a couple either signed or is waiting on someone to come free down South. One guy that could fit the bill is that RT Hamilton has had for a couple of years Joel Figuero (sp)? He was a free agent the last I heard. But I'm all for Canadian boys playing if they're good enough, but with an immobile Ricky Ray as your QB it is no time for experiments.

Foucault has actually started a game in the NFL. Matt Sewell is bigger than Foucault if size is the main attribute. My point would be that you seem to be quite good with under-rating top notch CIS talent while at the same time assuming Barker or CFL scouts can easily find American players who they can just hand jobs to and who would be superior to top notch Canadian talent. Let's see if the Argos bring in a new import starter and if he has any NFL starting experience like Foucault does - if not, would you have to say that import and a whole bunch of others in the CFL are not "NFL calibre" like you decided to say about Corby & Timmis ... ?

... who both BTW are IMO examples of very good CIS talent that can easily compete with import talent the CFL can recruit. Corby has decent size for a receiver, ran the fastest 40 time at the recent CFL Combine, and also scored 3 receiving TDs in last year's CIS East West Bowl (i.e. against top competition in that all-star type game); Timmis has been a very productive CIS tailback - yards/carry average very good with long-gainer break-away ability, and he has pro size for a RB (bigger than a lot of current CFL import starting RBs) - reminds me running style wise of ex-Argo great RB Gill Fenerty - taller, lanky tailback with moves & explosiveness.

And I'm all for American boys playing if they're good enough.

doubleblue
05-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Gill the thrill was listed at 6' 200 and he was the real deal. Timmons supposedly is 6'1 220, but he doesn't look that big. We will have to see how he does in the Pros. I have my ideas but don't want to say anything negative, especially if he is going to start for the NY Giants this fall.

:hug:

AngeloV
05-02-2016, 08:48 PM
gill the thrill was listed at 6' 200 and he was the real deal. Timmons supposedly is 6'1 220, but he doesn't look that big. We will have to see how he does in the pros. I have my ideas but don't want to say anything negative, especially if he is going to start for the ny giants this fall.

:hug:

lmfao!!

OV Argo
05-02-2016, 09:03 PM
The Giants have apparently also mini-camp added CIS players / CFL draft prospects - LB DJ Llama, kicker Quinn Van Glyswick, and receiver Brett Blaszko, to go with the bunch of other CIS guys they have already invited = WTF is going on there? Some sort of conspiracy by asst GM Abrams & the Giants to promote inferior, poorly trained Canadian talent? Maybe he made a deal with just one or a couple of CFL team's scouts to get access to that Giants mini-camp for exclusive scouting looks? Maybe Abrams made this deal with the Argos to be able to have the rights to scoop some of the talent the Argos might have to cut - like RB Josey Wales? Timmis - a Canadian RB who played CIS ball in the NFL ? = what a joke. Tyler Varga is a Canadian RB in the NFL now, but at least he got his superior training at the powerhouse Yale football program.

:D

doubleblue
05-02-2016, 11:23 PM
The Giants have apparently also mini-camp added CIS players / CFL draft prospects - LB DJ Llama, kicker Quinn Van Glyswick, and receiver Brett Blaszko, to go with the bunch of other CIS guys they have already invited = WTF is going on there? Some sort of conspiracy by asst GM Abrams & the Giants to promote inferior, poorly trained Canadian talent? Maybe he made a deal with just one or a couple of CFL team's scouts to get access to that Giants mini-camp for exclusive scouting looks? Maybe Abrams made this deal with the Argos to be able to have the rights to scoop some of the talent the Argos might have to cut - like RB Josey Wales? Timmis - a Canadian RB who played CIS ball in the NFL ? = what a joke. Tyler Varga is a Canadian RB in the NFL now, but at least he got his superior training at the powerhouse Yale football program.

:D

OV I wish you would try to more serious about these Canadian kids going to the Big Apple. :confused:

jerrym
05-03-2016, 12:34 AM
David Onyemata is NFL-bound, but don’t expect CFL general managers to cross him off their draft list — or anyone else affected over the weekend by the National Football League Draft.
The CFL Scouting Bureau’s number one-ranked player was picked in the fourth round by the New Orleans Saints on Saturday, becoming the 12th player in CIS history to be selected in the NFL Draft.
As CFL.ca’s Justin Dunk says, however, the result shouldn’t have a major impact on how teams view one of Canada’s top amateur prospects.
“CFL scouts were not shocked to see David Onyemata picked high in the NFL Draft,” said Dunk. “He’s a player who many believe might never play in the three-down league. So Onyemata being selected by the Saints doesn’t change much in regards to the CFL Draft.” ...

Onyemata follows in the footsteps of Christian Covington, who was picked in the sixth round of the NFL Draft a year ago before the BC Lions took him with their fifth round pick in the CFL Draft. Teams have showed in the past a willingness to be patient in the draft, selecting players that may not play in the league until down the road — but can provide tremendous value.
Vaughn Martin and Cory Greenwood are recent examples of players selected as ‘futures’ who returned from the NFL over the last two years to provide a boost for the Alouettes and Argonauts respectively.
“Onyemata is worth a late round flyer on the off chance a player of his calibre ever does come to play in the CFL,” said Dunk.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/02/onyemata-still-worth-look-says-dunk/

jerrym
05-03-2016, 02:00 AM
Mercer Timmis discusses in this video his college career and his great-grandfather, Brian Timmis, who was a CFL Hall of Famer.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/02/prospect-profile-mercer-timmis/

Brian Timmis (December 5, 1899 – August 22, 1971) was a star football player in the Canadian Football League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League) for twenty seasons, mainly for the Hamilton Tigers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Tiger-Cats) and the Ottawa Rough Riders (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Rough_Riders). Timmis's teams won three Grey Cups (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Cup). He later coached the Hamilton Flying Wildcats (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Flying_Wildcats), leading them to the 31st Grey Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/31st_Grey_Cup) championship. He was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_Hall_of_Fame) in 1963 and into the Canada's Sports Hall of Fame (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada's_Sports_Hall_of_Fame) in 1975. Brian Timmis Stadium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Timmis_Stadium) in Hamilton, Ontario (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton,_Ontario) is named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Timmis

OV Argo
05-03-2016, 11:34 PM
Mercer Timmis discusses in this video his college career and his great-grandfather, Brian Timmis, who was a CFL Hall of Famer.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/02/prospect-profile-mercer-timmis/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Timmis

Might make sense for the Bummers (back-up / compliment to Harris) or the Stamps (back-up/ compliment to Messam) to draft Timmis; can't see any other CFL team with much interest. He's a pure tailback type, and maybe he has some decent blocking or pass-catching skills to be able to compete as a typical all-around CFL RB; not sure if he would have good special teams guts/hustle ability to make it as an option there? or maybe gets looked at as a "fullback" type. Might be a 2nd rounder of maybe last till later in the draft.

Jon Gonzo
05-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Might make sense for the Bummers (back-up / compliment to Harris) or the Stamps (back-up/ compliment to Messam) to draft Timmis; can't see any other CFL team with much interest. He's a pure tailback type, and maybe he has some decent blocking or pass-catching skills to be able to compete as a typical all-around CFL RB; not sure if he would have good special teams guts/hustle ability to make it as an option there? or maybe gets looked at as a "fullback" type. Might be a 2nd rounder of maybe last till later in the draft.

Gillanders worked out quite well in Toronto with Special Teams. If the Argos think that Timmis can get down the field and make a tackle, I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in Toronto. More than likely it'll be Calgary, but Jim Barker stated publicly that Timmis acquitted himself well and jumped up a few pegs in his mind. Teams need good Canadian athletes period. In my personal mock draft, I have Timmis in double blue.

rdavies
05-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Brian Jones will be the steal of the draft.

doubleblue
05-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Brian Jones will be the steal of the draft.

I see Brian Jones broke a bone in his wrist recently. Doctors saying two to three months rehab, so whoever picks him will have the understanding he won't be available right away. Probably start the season on the 6 game injury list. But I can't see that affecting his draft status.

OV Argo
05-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Gillanders worked out quite well in Toronto with Special Teams. If the Argos think that Timmis can get down the field and make a tackle, I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in Toronto. More than likely it'll be Calgary, but Jim Barker stated publicly that Timmis acquitted himself well and jumped up a few pegs in his mind. Teams need good Canadian athletes period. In my personal mock draft, I have Timmis in double blue.

So, would both Dillon Campbell and Timmis make the Argos ? - as back-up RBs (when Coombs is quite capable there as well) who play mostly special teams? Or, if not room for both, would one of them end up being a big waste of a draft pick?

Rather see the Argos draft specific position football players in areas of need; rather than thinking we need (Canadians) as "athletes" and special teams guys. There are some pretty good athletes at local gyms or track clubs, but most probably have no clue on a football field and aren't about to all of a sudden learn; polished football players is another matter, and experienced football players can learn or be made/forced into being good special teamers - Timmis might be good in the pros as a position player and a special teamer, but I think I'd rather have a linebacker type as a more designated special teams guy/

R.J
05-04-2016, 07:17 PM
I believe Matthew Rea is still a free agent - if so, I'd much rather see the Argonauts sign him then to draft Timmis and turn him into a full back. Timmis IMO is a running back with a lot of potential; I'd rather not see him wasted in another position.

rdavies
05-04-2016, 09:12 PM
I see Brian Jones broke a bone in his wrist recently. Doctors saying two to three months rehab, so whoever picks him will have the understanding he won't be available right away. Probably start the season on the 6 game injury list. But I can't see that affecting his draft status.Thanks for the update (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-prospect-jones-to-miss-2-3-months-with-broken-scaphoid-1.482251), I didn't see that, not good. Maybe it will drop him, but if he can recover with no ill effects and drops in the draft order he definitely will be the steal of the draft.

Reggiemac
05-05-2016, 11:55 AM
I think we wil gor for an O lineman with our first pick and then the best athlete available in later rounds. Start an all canadian O line and stack the Dvwith imports as thats where championships are won. My 2 cents worth.

jerrym
05-05-2016, 12:01 PM
I think we wil gor for an O lineman with our first pick and then the best athlete available in later rounds. Start an all canadian O line and stack the Dvwith imports as thats where championships are won. My 2 cents worth.

I think the Argos are most likely going to go for an offensive lineman in the first. However, on D I think the Argos have some excellent Canadians they are unlikely to replace with Internationals.

jerrym
05-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Canada West coaches have released rankings of players in their programs.

David Onyemata continues to dominate the ranks ahead of the 2016 CFL Draft, most recently topping Canada West’s first annual CFL prospect rankings.
Coaches from Canada West’s six football programs each submitted a list of 21 players, with a first place vote being worth 21 points, a second place vote worth 20 points etc. The rankings provide a glimpse into how Canada West coaches view the top draft eligible players ahead of the May 10 CFL Draft, with 15 players named to the list in all.
At a glance:

University of Manitoba defensive lineman David Onyemata, who was recently selected by New Orleans in the NFL Draft (fourth round, 120th overall), is the top ranked Canada West player ahead of next week’s CFL Draft.
Defensive back Taylor Loffler from the UBC Thunderbirds is the second rated prospect after helping the T-Birds win the Vanier Cup in 2015.
Elie Bouka of the Calgary Dinos, who inked a deal with the Arizona Cardinals following the NFL Draft, comes in third in the rankings.
Five UBC Thunderbirds and five Calgary Dinos cracked the rankings.
The prospect rankings were selected by Canada West coaches.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/05/onyemata-loffler-top-canada-west-cfl-prospect-rankings/

paulwoods13
05-05-2016, 02:31 PM
I believe Matthew Rea is still a free agent - if so, I'd much rather see the Argonauts sign him then to draft Timmis and turn him into a full back. Timmis IMO is a running back with a lot of potential; I'd rather not see him wasted in another position.

I've never seen Timmis so no idea of his potential, but I would definitely like to have us sign Rea. Great replacement for gillanders/Robinson.

doubleblue
05-05-2016, 02:55 PM
I've never seen Timmis so no idea of his potential, but I would definitely like to have us sign Rea. Great replacement for gillanders/Robinson.

I think Timmis's best position down the road in the CFL might just be at safety. When he went to high school in Buffalo that's where they wanted him to play. Other wise IMO he is a back up RB and ST player. But he could eventually be a starter at safety with his size 6' 3/8" about 210 and pretty good speed 4.6 forty.

OV Argo
05-05-2016, 10:13 PM

Better draftable H-back candidates this draft IMO; - Tabor - receiver at St FX, and a big lad at 6', 230; Faubert-Lussier was a receiver at Laval but maybe an H-back candidate in the CFL - excellent athletic testing #s and decent size at 6', 216. Faubert-Lussier might be gone by mid rounds; Tabor and some other candidates should be there late rounds.

OV Argo
05-05-2016, 10:17 PM

The Argos have at least 4 defensive positions easily covered by NIs - Foley at DE; Bulcke/Waud at DT; Gabriel at safety; Greenwood at OLB; PLUS - Miles might get a shot to play MLB, and vet Matt Black could hold down a corner job. The D was "stacked" with mediocre imports in the D-backfield last season - they lost to ultra inexperienced Ticat QBs in the play-offs = not even close to a championship.

paulwoods13
05-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Better draftable H-back candidates this draft IMO; - Tabor - receiver at St FX, and a big lad at 6', 230; Faubert-Lussier was a receiver at Laval but maybe an H-back candidate in the CFL - excellent athletic testing #s and decent size at 6', 216. Faubert-Lussier might be gone by mid rounds; Tabor and some other candidates should be there late rounds.

So we should go with unproven rookies instead of a CFL vet at H-back, but should not go with unproven rookies instead of a CFL vet at RT? Just trying to keep the logic straight.

OV Argo
05-06-2016, 04:52 PM
So we should go with unproven rookies instead of a CFL vet at H-back, but should not go with unproven rookies instead of a CFL vet at RT? Just trying to keep the logic straight.

First off - H-back is not even close to a full-time position in the Argo offence - lucky if the guy is in more than 5 or 6 snaps a game; so hardly comparable to a starting OT; and second off, Rea has barely played in the CFL so hardly a vet, and his college ball resume did not include much either, plus the Argos already have a "vet" H-back in Dupuis. IMO, one H-back for an ultra part-time position is plenty for the roster; drafting, or signing, a 2nd H-back who might also be decent on special teams might make a bit of sense.

Shatto
05-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Attended the combine and with draft upcoming, here are my perceptions of those who impressed me:
Brian Jones (R) big, strong and fast-ignore his 4.69 as all timings were at least .1 second slow. Exuded confidence- caught everything in 1 on 1's
Philippe Gagnon (OL) strong and really impressed in the 1 on 1's Played with mean attitude in the 1 on 1's
Felix Faubert-Laussier(H) He did workouts with running backs. 6ft and 216lbs and very fast. Looked good blocking and on special teams
Rupert Butcher (DL) did not impress me until 1 on 1's when he became an unstoppable beast. Raw but huge upside.
Mike Jones (R) Really looked smooth running pass routes. Good moves and excellent hands.
Though not at National Combine look out for Jay Dearborn 6' 3" 190 lbs (DB) He is F A and had outstanding numbers at regionals. He was his team's kicker which increase his value as a prospect

paulwoods13
05-06-2016, 07:13 PM
First off - H-back is not even close to a full-time position in the Argo offence - lucky if the guy is in more than 5 or 6 snaps a game; so hardly comparable to a starting OT; and second off, Rea has barely played in the CFL so hardly a vet, and his college ball resume did not include much either, plus the Argos already have a "vet" H-back in Dupuis. IMO, one H-back for an ultra part-time position is plenty for the roster; drafting, or signing, a 2nd H-back who might also be decent on special teams might make a bit of sense.

I'm using what has become the standard definition of veteran: someone who has played in the league. Rea played a fair bit as a rookie, actually. H-back is a special teams position, primarily, and the Argos have dressed as many as three in a game. While many draft picks play mostly special teams at first, I'd rather pick guys who play positions that are actually featured in the offence or defence. Why waste a draft choice on an H-back when a guy with CFL experience at the position (who happens to hail from southern Ont) is available?

rdavies
05-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Attended the combine and with draft upcoming, here are my perceptions of those who impressed me:
Brian Jones (R) big, strong and fast-ignore his 4.69 as all timings were at least .1 second slow. Exuded confidence- caught everything in 1 on 1'sAnd a good Maritime boy. If he recovers from his broken wrist with no ill effects, I see Fantuz/Getzlaf/Clermont quality. As I posted before, my pick for steal of the draft.

OV Argo
05-06-2016, 09:30 PM
And a good Maritime boy. If he recovers from his broken wrist with no ill effects, I see Fantuz/Getzlaf/Clermont quality. As I posted before, my pick for steal of the draft.

Agreed - he might be a great pick - a bigger, faster Clermont type receiver (and Sinopoli sure did great as a big target slot last year); however - not sure the Argos offence will deploy that style of slotback, and from all the import receivers - last year's guys and some new impressive resume guys - in for TC, not sure where Jones would fit in? Durie/Coombs might be the only NI receiver in the 5 pack? So - drafting Jones as some sort of project who would not be in the mix to compete for playing time, might be a big waste of a draft pick IMO - he's going to go first or 2nd round I bet, and better to use that high a pick on a player who might be in the mix to contribute - right away hopefully, or as a prime back-up.

Like to see Jones go to a team that wants to deploy his style of a receiver, and has an open spot for competition there - IMO he might be that kind of talent that could start right away in the CFL - like Clermont did.

gilthethrill
05-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Take any of the 3 Laval O-linemen with our first round pick...regardless if we sign McEwen or not. Llevi Noel could be a steal in the mid rounds as well. Nice to see the draft go to 8 rounds.

jerrym
05-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Doug Parrish wants to be known as a hitter.

The son of a former Edmonton Eskimo and Grey Cup Champion by the same name, Western Oregon’s Doug Parrish wants to make a name for himself. The six-foot, 225-pound linebacker follows in the footsteps up his father, who played with Edmonton and Sacramento from 1991 through 1994, recording 89 tackles and six interceptions over four seasons. ...
Above all, Parrish says he can’t wait to get on the field and start making his own career a special one. His dad had a special career in the CFL and now he wants to as well.
“I kind of want to make my own name and be my own person,” he says. “Wherever I get drafted to it’s just going to be great for me. I think it’ll be a great moment, not only for me but all of my family. I’m the oldest of nine grandchildren and they’re all like my little brothers so I feel like that would be a great accomplishment for all of us together as a family.”
The thought of being drafted on May 10 has Parrish thinking about his first pro game, likely to come late in June as the 2016 CFL season kicks off. He’s already visualized making that first big hit.
“I picture it all the time actually,” he says. “I’m thinking about it during workout sessions, when I go to sleep at night, dream about it. When I wake up in the morning that’s the first thing I wake up thinking about. It’s pretty big. “I love making big hits already as it is, I’m going crazy after,” he added. “But I feel like my first one as a pro is going to be the best one.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/06/prospect-profile-doug-parrish-ready-to-make-his-own-name/

jerrym
05-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Considering how many quality offensive linemen Laval has, there's a good chance the Argos will end up with one of them in the first round.

Laval University is in a position to leave a major mark on the 2016 CFL Draft.
Three Laval offensive linemen are projected to go in the first round this season, which if it happens would raise the total to five over the last two years and six over the last three.
Charles Vaillancourt, Philippe Gagnon and Jamie Lauzon-Seguin are all among the CFL Scouting Bureau’s top-20 draft eligible prospects and are in the running to be top-five draft picks according to CFL.ca’s Justin Dunk in his third 2016 CFL Mock Draft (http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/03/2016-cfl-mock-draft-3-0-corney-brescacin-way/).
So what’s the key to success for the big men from Laval? It starts with strength and conditioning and above all discipline. Consider, for starters, that all five first round draft picks who tested the last three years pressed 21 reps or more on the bench.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/08/laval-o-linemen-track-dominate-2016-cfl-draft/

R.J
05-09-2016, 09:05 PM
https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2016/05/09/argonauts-have-all-their-ducks-lined-up-ahead-of-canadian-cfl-draft.html

“We’ll try to create some scenarios so that basically we’re not fooled by anything,” Barker said Monday. “You go through every scenario so you’re totally prepared. It’s no different than preparing as a coach for a game. If you’re prepared you’re not nervous. You know exactly what you’re going to do.”

So when the time comes for the Argos to make that No. 4 pick, Barker was asked, would he be confident the guy they want will be there?

“Absolutely not,” he said, laughing. “You never know. We have a guy we’d like to have at our spot but we’ve heard he could be taken in the first three picks. If that happens, it happens.”

Tuesday’s draft — which airs on TSN1, TSN3 and RDS2, from 7 to 8 p.m. then runs online at TSN GO until its conclusion — is as wide open as its been in years.

“You don’t have that standout (pick),” Barker said. “If you asked all nine teams who the top-four guys were you would probably get 10 different names.”

“There’s a case to be made that there could be seven out of eight picks in the first round (are O-linemen) . . . it’s possible,” Barker said.

With players you want being taken in front of you, and trades potentially flying around just as fast, Barker said he drafts thinking long-term. Canadian talent needs time to develop before it can steadily produce, and that’s especially true for the late-round picks.

jerrym
05-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Luc Mullinder's part 2 of his analysis of the 2016 CFL draft.

Offensive Line
The hoggies are well represented in this year’s draft but figuring out where the top guys may land is a bit more complicated than people may think.

The Enigma
Many experts have the big Offensive Tackle out of Oklahoma, Josiah St. John, on their boards as the consensus #1 pick. St. John definitely passes the “eye test” standing at 6’6 and weighing in at a very evenly distributed 305 lbs. As far as physical characteristics go, the Sr. out of the Big 12 conference fits perfectly into the mould of a Chris Jones offensive linemen should Saskatchewan hold on to the top spot. St. John definitely passes the “eye test” standing at 6’6 and weighing in at a very evenly distributed 305 lbs. As far as physical characteristics go, the Sr. out of the Big 12 conference fits perfectly into the mould of a Chris Jones offensive linemen should Saskatchewan hold on to the top spot.
St. John’s athleticism is what stands out. He’s capable of getting low to dig out defensive linemen in the run game but moves really well for such a big guy which should equate to him being effective during slide protections and searching out 2nd and 3rd level defenders during screens.
The OU product dalso possesses a lot of explosive power in his hips and legs, which can be measured by the fact that he broad jumped almost 9ft at his pro day. His 8’10/8’11 range would have bested any Olineman at the CFL combine in March. Coaches can’t teach size and athleticism!
The question mark here is whether or not coaching staffs see enough of him on film to warrant taking him first overall. One problem that the Toronto, Ontario native has is that he didn’t see a lot of playing time at OU during his final year, and his best evaluation games may come from his JUCO days at Fresno City College.
St. John could have erased all doubt about the #1 spot by coming into the CFL Combine and dominating the 1on1 drills however he chose to sit-out and stand on all of his pro day results which also included a questionable 17 reps on the bench press test. Although the big tackle definitely needs to get stronger in prep for the pro game, there has been plenty of time between March and June to increase his overall strength so that may not be a huge factor in the end when it comes to measuring his outstanding potential. At the end of the day, it’s Josiah St. Johns unbelievably high ceiling that may be the deciding factor in his draft position. ...

I really like Michael Couture out of Simon Fraser. So much so that if I was a team in the first round I may be inclined to take Couture over Josiah St. John and maybe even Charles Vaillancourt out of Laval. This kid is legit, and he went out and proved it at the CFL Combine putting up good numbers and separating himself during the 1on1 drills where he took reps at all 5 Oline spots.

While at SFU he’s started 37 games. In 2015 the Sr. earned his second consecutive Great Northwest Atlantic All-Conference honour as a Guard/Tackle, after being All-Conference as a Centre in 2014. All of this, mixed with a high football IQ and he’s still only 22 years old!On film the Burnaby BC native is as technically sound as the come. He’s got great feet and uses his hands exceptionally well in both the run and pass game. What one will also notice about Couture is that he does a good job of keeping guys extended while he’s in pass pro. A lot of linemen will look to absorb pass rushers making them susceptible to counter-moves, but Couture does a decent job of keeping guys away and in front of him. He’s also got a nasty edge to him, which was a quality that jumped out on film when watching guys like Sukh Chung, and Sean McEwen, both 1st round draft choices.

Of the three high-character Offensive Linemen available out of the Laval program, Charles Vaillancourt is probably the best bet to contribute at the pro level this season. He’s another kid that some teams may have over St. John on their big board. Even though Vaillancourt is a true Guard, he’s got the smarts to be able to bump down to Centre and take on all the call responsibilities that come with playing that spot. He’s a tough kid that doesn’t mind mixing it up, but will benefit from having a pro coach help him focus on initial hand placement. Right now Vaillancourt has the tendency to attack a target with his hands outside of a defenders chest plate. Currently he gets away with it because of his ability to drop his hips (to stall any momentum) and replace his leverage points, but once the Rouge Et Or grad consistently starts firing into the middle of an attacker, he’s going to be hard to move because of his other physical attributes. ...

Brandon Revenberg out of Grand Valley State, the same school that produced perennial all-star Josh Bourke. Like Couture, Revenberg is capable of playing a number of spots on the field which may have teams looking at him as an early option to be their 5th Offensive Lineman. Not only is he strong, having put up 38 reps on his pro day but he’s really quick on his feet. GVSU like to let him pull out and be a lead blocker on stretch plays and counters which is a testament to what they thought about him athletically, but he’s another guy that always seemed like he was trying to finish his blocks, instead of position himself into getting the work done. ...

Recievers
This is another DEEP group, even with Tevaun Smith taking his talents from Iowa to the Dallas Cowboys.
Mississauga Ontario native Juwan Brescacin found himself at the top of the receiver class when the latest mock draft by Justin Dunk was released, and when one takes a look at the film that’s out there on the 3-time varsity letter winner, one can definitely make the argument. ...

At 227 lbs Brescacin already offers a fairly large target for a QB to hit, and his ability to catch footballs at their highest point make him an obvious target in the red zone and at the first down marker. To add to his arsenal, the Northern Illinois product is equipped with a set of catcher’s mitts for hands that allowed him to routinely make tough one-handed catches throughout his time in the MAC conference.If one took his recorded pro day 40 time (4.62) and matched it up to the times ran by the receivers at the Canadian combine in March, Brescacin lands around the middle of the pack. ...

For all intents and purposes, Brett Blaszko has every physical tool that he needs to be an all-star receiver in the CFL, regardless of what passport he carries. Anyone who runs a low 4.5 40 yard dash is going to open eyes, but when you’re 6’4 and have Andy Fantuz-size hands with a 34 inch vert, people do more than notice you, they pay attention. Blaszko enjoyed a successful year with the Calgary Dinos in 2015 hauling in 10 TD catches while averaging about 94 yards worth of passing yards per contest. He’s deceptively smooth going in and out of his breaks and easily creates space between himself and a DB if they don’t get their hands on him within the first 5 yards of the route. ...

Running Back
If I’m a CFL team, I’m going to anticipate Mercer Timmins coming back to the CFL. Now that’s not a shot in any way at the Calgary Dino RB, however as talented as Timmins is with the ball in his hands, he still has some time to go before he is a complete every down running back.
To begin with, the Mercer Timmins highlight tape is unreal. It actually reminded me of watching Anthony Coombs shred the Canada West Division in 2014 as part of the Manitoba Bisons program.
The first thing one will note pretty much immediately is that his game speed is a lot faster than the 4.7 40 yard dash time that he recorded at the CFL Combine. The UC Dino is able to shift gears quickly which gives him his cut and go speed that is only enhanced by good field vision. If Calgary was able to get Mercer Timmins in any kind of space during the 2015 campaign, he was almost guaranteed to turn it into a big play. Timmins can also run a decent route, and he’s an absolute nightmare for a linebacker that doesn’t manage to get his hands on him in the early stages of his route. ...

Mercer Timmins may to have to cut his teeth on special teams and bide his time as he waits for an opportunity, but there’s no denying this kids abilities.

http://www.riderville.com/2016/05/09/cfl-draft-preview-part-two/

jerrym
05-10-2016, 01:57 AM
Jim Barker discusses the draft.

Jim Barker has always kept an open mind, willing to do whatever it takes to address whatever need, unafraid to move up or down in the draft process.
“We’ve talked to just about every team about every possible scenario,’’ the Argos GM said on Monday as the countdown to Tuesday’s CFL draft begins. “To tell you we haven’t talked would not be accurate. “Are we happy with being at No. 4? Yes. It’s a good spot to be in.”
How good a player taken in the fourth overall slot is open for debate. There’s no consensus No. 1 pick, an inordinate amount of offensive linemen to be had and as always no franchise quarterback to lead a team into the future.
This isn’t the NFL after all, but the NFL does have an influence on the proceedings Barker has waited for draft picks he’s taken who have opted to pursue the NFL. When he took Calgary offensive lineman Sean McEwen in last year’s draft, Barker knew the kid would likely go back to school and attempt to find employment down south. Barker earned kudos for the move at a time when he had no contract beyond 2015, taking McEwen for the long-term welfare of the Argos. McEwen is considered a stud, a piece Barker covets that would address an offensive line in Toronto that’s getting up in age. “We’re talking to Sean,’’ said Barker. “He has a strong desire to play.”
Having said that, Barker did add the two sides are far apart. If there is a glimmer of hope it’s that McEwen has auditioned for the NFL. And don’t ever discount the possibility of a trade to either the Stamps or Eskimos, a move that will allow McEwen to play in his native Alberta. Barker did admit during a conference call with the media that he has been talking with McEwen’s representative, but no movement has been made and barring something dramatic McEwen won’t be at rookie camp later this month when the Argos begin their new era by holding their football activities at Guelph.
With so many offensive linemen available in this year’s draft class, Barker says a case can be made for seven getting selected in the first round, including the likes of a Philippe Gagnon, Jason Lauzon-Seguin, Josiah St. John, Brandon Revenburg, Charles Vaillancourt and Michael Couture. The above players weren’t mentioned by Barker because teams have their own way of measuring a prospect’s value. ...

If one were to poll each of the CFL’s nine franchise to list its top-five order, Barker insists nine versions will be provided. As is always the case, Barker plans on taking the best possible player. ...
Since 2010, only a handful of players drafted by the Argos remain on the roster, players who can line up as legitimate starters. Cory Greenwood and Tyler Holmes are stalwarts, but each went through the NFL process before joining the Argos. Jermaine Gabriel, one of the best safeties in the CFL, was a steal, the Argos selecting the Scarboro native 17th overall in the 2013 draft. When the Argos moved up to secure the third overall pick in 2014, they landed Anthony Coombs and then grabbed a gem with the 33rd overall pick in Thomas Miles, a teammate of Coombs at the University of Manitoba.
YORK U PRODUCT MIGHT BE DRAFTED
York football hasn’t exactly been in the same elite class as Laval, Calgary and Manitoba, Canadian university powerhouse programs that have routinely produced some of the CFL’s higher end talent, among other schools.
Back in 2006, Ricky Foley was taken fourth overall by the B.C. Lions, beginning a pro career that would see Foley win Grey Cup championships and be named as the top Canadian in the 100th game held at Rogers Centre. Since Foley’s selection, two players, no misprint, from York have been taken in the CFL draft, Sean Simms in 2007 and James Tuck in 2014.
A third York U product is now on the cusp of being drafted since Foley’s historic selection, but it’s anyone’s guess where Jamal Campbell will be taken Tuesday. Some pundits believe a team may take a flyer on this raw offensive lineman with its second-round selection, while others believe Campbell will go later in the process. Either way, it would be foolish for a team not to consider Campbell, considered an athletic freak with plenty of potential. The Toronto native impressed league officials at the combine with his athleticism. Technique is so crucial, but teams can teach technique. What teams can’t coach up is athleticism, a quality offensive linemen must have besides the obvious foot work. Campbell is a 6-foot-5, 292-pound prospect who may one day develop into a starter, that’s how high is ceiling appears if the proper patience and teaching is exercised by the right team.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/09/argos-cfl-draft-preview

jerrym
05-10-2016, 10:37 AM
1. Saskatchewan Roughriders
They have only six Canadian hogs under contract and are poised to start three, so they could use a bit of a talent infusion there.
2. Montreal Alouettes
If the Als are going to remain as the only team in the league to start five Canadian O-linemen, that's the position to pick here.
3. B.C. Lions
The Leos must take a Canadian O lineman here, and if they are starting two Canucks at receiver this year that would be a wise direction to go at No. 12.
4. Toronto Argonauts
The Boatmen are pretty set with seven legitimate Canuck starters but, like the first three teams, could use another solid O lineman.
5. Hamilton Tiger-Cats
The Tabbies have plenty of options for their ratio, but one spot that needs depth is the offensive line, where they have only five Canucks.
6. Calgary Stampeders
It looks like the Stamps will go with four Canadian hogs, so they should jump on that train if a good one is still there. Receiver is another need if they start a pair.
7. Ottawa RedBlacks
The reigning East champs are planning to start four Canadian hogs instead of three but have depth there, so defensive line or receiver might be the choice.
8. Edmonton Eskimos
The defending Grey Cup champs have plenty of depth at seven spots, but offensive line and receiver could use a boost.
9. Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The Blue and Gold have only four Canuck O linemen under contract and intend to start three, so, like most everyone else, they need more of them.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/09/canadian-offensive-linemen-to-dominate-cfl-draft

jerrym
05-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Andrew Bucholtz discusses five prospects likely to go early in the draft: Josiah St. John, Charles Vaillancourt, Tevaun Smith, Brian Jones and Taylor Loffler. One of these could be Argo's first draft choice potentailly.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/five-players-to-watch-in-the-2016-cfl-draft-175241413.html

Reggiemac
05-10-2016, 04:19 PM
First pick should be an OL and if anotherbone is still available for second pick grab him, if not go for one of the DB's in the draft. It gets interesting after round2 as there are pribably some good projects in later rounds that may be a few years fro starting.

R.J
05-10-2016, 04:40 PM
First pick should be an OL and if anotherbone is still available for second pick grab him, if not go for one of the DB's in the draft. It gets interesting after round2 as there are pribably some good projects in later rounds that may be a few years fro starting.
Interesting. I'd go with OL in the first and WR in the second and 3rd, DL and LB in the 4th, then after that = ???

paulwoods13
05-10-2016, 04:51 PM
I think we should always take the best available player rather than fill a positional need. With possible exception of kicker and long snapper, there is no position we wouldn't benefit from adding to. If we end up with too many good LBs (for instance), we can change our personnel deployment and/or trade some for pieces we need.

AngeloV
05-10-2016, 04:52 PM
If available, I'd go with Singleton in the first. I like LB's because if they don't start right away, they are usually great on ST's. Also would increase the chances of the Argos starting 2 NI's at LB.

R.J
05-10-2016, 04:58 PM
If available, I'd go with Singleton in the first. I like LB's because if they don't start right away, they are usually great on ST's. Also would increase the chances of the Argos starting 2 NI's at LB.
Would be pretty great seeing Greenwood, Miles and Singleton tear it up in double blue. Though IMO a lot will depend on if McEwen ends up signing here or is traded.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing New England Patriots have offered Alex Singleton a contract after mini-camp - how will this effect his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cfl?src=hash">#cfl</a> draft status?</p>&mdash; gary lawless (@garylawless) <a href="https://twitter.com/garylawless/status/730142745772359680">May 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jerrym
05-26-2016, 04:53 AM

Auston Johnson, classified as a National, signed Tuesday with the BC Lions, but will be late to TC because of the late signing.

jerrym
05-27-2016, 03:12 PM
I wonder if his father's part in the class action lawsuit against the CFL made teams reluctant to go after him, especially when he is a National. Anyway, it's sad to see what has happened to his Hall of Fame father, Alondra.

Ok, Auston Johnson, inside linebacker from South Dakota. He noted in 2014 how his dad’s hall-of-fame status was something of an inspiration. (http://volanteonline.com/2014/11/athlete-spotlight-football-linebacker-auston-johnson/) (In that same interview, he also admitted to having a bit of an environmental bent; a good emotional fit for the west coast?)
He’s 5’11”, 230 lbs., listed as an inside linebacker. He’ll be one of nine linebackers in camp: Victor Alyewa, Jason Arkgi, Adam Bighill, Adrian Clarke, Dyshawn Davis, Solomon Elimimian and Bo Lokombo are the other eight.
There’s a twist to this particular signing, you see. You might remember his dad has been in the news recently:
You already know this: Alondra Johnson who played the 1989 and 1990 seasons for the Leos before spending a baker’s dozen with the Stamps.
Johnson joined the class action in December, when Robyn Wishart, the lawyer representing the class told the Ottawa Citizen’s Gord Holder that the former linebacker needed occupational therapy. (http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/football/cfl/cfl-hall-of-famer-alondra-johnson-joins-class-action-lawsuit-over-concussions)
“There’s no money for him,” she said.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/05/24/lions-signings-auston-johnson-son-of-hall-of-famer-alondra-and-steven-clarke-head-to-camp/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hall of Fame LB Alondra Johnson part of a $200 million class action lawsuit against the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a>. Son Auston added to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BC?src=hash">#BC</a> Lions TC roster.</p>&mdash; Mike Beamish (@sixbeamers) <a href="https://twitter.com/sixbeamers/status/735169892735848448">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

7dj83r8f78t4alf8