PDA

View Full Version : Does Orridge Deserve the Criticism He Is Getting?

jerrym
12-31-2015, 09:28 PM
While I agree with the following article, which argues that many of the issues of criticism concerning Orridge (lack of knowledge of the league, poor focus on branding, declining TV ratings and attendance, poor drug and concussion policies) existed well before his arrival, I do not feel that he has been a forceful leader like Cohon. I have not seen him as a good communicator from the moment he was announced as commissioner and stumbled through his opening comments saying "um" again and again and again. Nothing since that time has improved my opinion in this regard.
What do you think?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/five-criticisms-of-cfl-commissioner-jeffrey-orridge-were-also-around-before-him-230701168.html

ArgoRavi
12-31-2015, 11:20 PM
While I agree with the following article, which argues that many of the issues of criticism concerning Orridge (lack of knowledge of the league, poor focus on branding, declining TV ratings and attendance, poor drug and concussion policies) existed well before his arrival, I do not feel that he has been a forceful leader like Cohon. I have not seen him as a good communicator from the moment he was announced as commissioner and stumbled through his opening comments saying "um" again and again and again. Nothing since that time has improved my opinion in this regard.
What do you think?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/five-criticisms-of-cfl-commissioner-jeffrey-orridge-were-also-around-before-him-230701168.html

I think that he needs more than 8 or 9 months before we can truly judge his performance as commissioner. Any moves he has made this year won't be felt until 2016.

Rocket
01-01-2016, 01:11 AM
What do you think?

There is no question in my books the cfl needs to part ways with this guy ASAP! it's kind of same situation with owner of the Argos David Braley people didn't want to dump on this guy at the beggining when he owned the Argos and b.c lions claiming he was a saviour and the guy who always looked after the cfl with good intentions but after when all was said and done I would say 90% of people would agree that he was the most useless guy that was always getting in the way of the leagues growth. From what I have seen of orridge there is no reason to believe that this guy has any idea of where this league is today or where we cfl fans would like to see it one day.cfl needs to Just fire him now and just come out and say they made a mistake instead of letting this idiot drag the cfl into the ground the next couple of years.

doubleblue
01-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Well, IMO I don't think he has what It takes. Another American who doesn't understand Canada. I hope I'm wrong for the League's sake. Maybe he needs a good number 2 guy who knows the League to run the Football side of things. Let Orridge do what ever he is suppose to be good at. Don't know what that is (TV contracts)?. But if he could bring in more TV money for the League we could over look all his other blunders.

Argo57
01-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Well, IMO I don't think he has what It takes. Another American who doesn't understand Canada. I hope I'm wrong for the League's sake. Maybe he needs a good number 2 guy who knows the League to run the Football side of things. Let Orridge do what ever he is suppose to be good at. Don't know what that is (TV contracts)?. But if he could bring in more TV money for the League we could over look all his other blunders.

I agree with what you are saying, you would think anyone qualified to be chosen for a leadership position such as the Commish of a professional sports league would want to establish himself as the man in charge early on in his tenure, this guy simply went quiet and when he finally stepped into the spotlight looked uncomfortable and ill suited for this job.
Like it or not people's first impressions usually stick which doesn't bode well for Orridge IMO.
I will keep an open mind regarding Orridge in 2016 but we'll see.

Ron
01-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Not fair since he's so new at the job. Plus I would easily accept some dude that's not great on the microphone if behind the scenes he advances the fortunes of the CFL. CFL fans IMO expect too much "talk" from their commissioner.

AngeloV
01-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Not fair since he's so new at the job. Plus I would easily accept some dude that's not great on the microphone if behind the scenes he advances the fortunes of the CFL. CFL fans IMO expect too much "talk" from their commissioner.

Agreed 100%.

As I've said before, way too many people complain just for the sake of complaining.

OV Argo
01-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Agreed 100%.

As I've said before, way too many people complain just for the sake of complaining.

Hey - are you complaining about people complaining? - or just making an observation ?:p

As far as Orridge - real bad hire it looks like IMO; I'm all for the notion that this guy is some sort of very well connected, super smart sports business guy who will do wonders for the league's financial situation - so let's to start to see some real serious proof. Coming across as a dork who can\t speak well in public is not good enough - get somebody else who really knows the CFL and Canada to do the talking.

ArgoRavi
01-01-2016, 04:56 PM

Totally agree, Ron. On top of that, Orridge has the bad fortune of following a commissioner that could talk as well as any so many fans and people in the media expect him to have the same proficiency.

Argo57
01-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Totally agree, Ron. On top of that, Orridge has the bad fortune of following a commissioner that could talk as well as any so many fans and people in the media expect him to have the same proficiency.

Why wouldn't the fans of this league expect a well spoken commissioner Ravi, no time to hire some "work in progress" type guy is there??
This guy should be somewhat proficient in public speaking and have some answers regarding the direction that the CFL will take in the near future, also wouldn't you expect Orridge to at least read up on the league and its history so that he at least comes off like he has a clue or is this asking too much??

R.J
01-01-2016, 05:37 PM
While there's is very little if no doubt that Orridge had a terrible Grey Cup Weekend and his first season as Commish was underwhelming to say the least, patience is needed at this time. Not only does Orridge have get keep us, the current fans happy, but also needs to bring in a new younger fanbase. On top of that has to keep the current sponsors happy and bring in new money as well. Not to mention TSN, the league's biggest and most important partner in all this, but I do recall there were some rumblings at Grey Cup time that the league wasn't the happiest with TSN at the time either. A lot of work has to be done, I think everyone needs to keep in mind these problems started when Cohon was commissioner and one nor two seasons isn't going to fix it all. I myself have been disappointed with the new Commish, but to fire him at this point IMO would be foolish.

Argo57
01-01-2016, 05:48 PM
While there's is very little if no doubt that Orridge had a terrible Grey Cup Weekend and his first season as Commish was underwhelming to say the least, patience is needed at this time. Not only does Orridge have get keep us, the current fans happy, but also needs to bring in a new younger fanbase. On top of that has to keep the current sponsors happy and bring in new money as well. Not to mention TSN, the league's biggest and most important partner in all this, but I do recall there were some rumblings at Grey Cup time that the league wasn't the happiest with TSN at the time either. A lot of work has to be done, I think everyone needs to keep in mind these problems started when Cohon was commissioner and one nor two seasons isn't going to fix it all. I myself have been disappointed with the new Commish, but to fire him at this point IMO would be foolish.

True, firing Orridge at this point would be a total embarrassment to the league and the owners, I have been thoroughly unimpressed so far but am hoping he can get his act together and accomplish some positive things, however if his performance in 2016 does not improve then different conversations will need to take place from within the CFL.
Say one thing about Cohon, he picked the right time to jump ship and preserve his legacy.

AngeloV
01-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Hey - are you complaining about people complaining? - or just making an observation ?:p

LMAO. Happy New Year OV!!

AngeloV
01-01-2016, 06:41 PM
I myself have been disappointed with the new Commish, but to fire him at this point IMO would be foolish.

That is the fairest comment I have seen regarding the topic. I have not been blown away by him to this point, but I also haven't seen reason to give up on him this quickly. IMO, it would look horribly on the league to replace him this fast, and give the masses that call our league bush a free opportunity to do so.

ArgoRavi
01-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Why wouldn't the fans of this league expect a well spoken commissioner Ravi, no time to hire some "work in progress" type guy is there??
This guy should be somewhat proficient in public speaking and have some answers regarding the direction that the CFL will take in the near future, also wouldn't you expect Orridge to at least read up on the league and its history so that he at least comes off like he has a clue or is this asking too much??

Orridge is decent at public speaking but Cohon was extremely dynamic so he suffers by comparison. Did anyone on here attend the Fan State of the League address during Grey Cup week? I seem to recall someone saying that he did not do badly at that event.

True, firing Orridge at this point would be a total embarrassment to the league and the owners, I have been thoroughly unimpressed so far but am hoping he can get his act together and accomplish some positive things, however if his performance in 2016 does not improve then different conversations will need to take place from within the CFL.
Say one thing about Cohon, he picked the right time to jump ship and preserve his legacy.

I always said that about Jake Gaudaur as well. He was an excellent commissioner but he sure picked the right time to leave and I have little doubt that he knew that.

jerrym
01-01-2016, 10:31 PM
I think everyone needs to keep in mind these problems started when Cohon was commissioner and one nor two seasons isn't going to fix it all. I myself have been disappointed with the new Commish, but to fire him at this point IMO would be foolish.

Most of these problems have been around for decades, but some things were improving under Cohon, who could also generate some optimism when he spoke about the league. Orridge does not have the communication skills needed in a league spokesperson, and seems to lack anything more than a basic understanding of the league, its rules and its history.

Rocket
01-01-2016, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=ArgoRavi;76359]Orridge is decent at public speaking but Cohon was extremely dynamic so he suffers by comparison. Did anyone on here attend the Fan State of the League address during Grey Cup week? I seem to recall someone saying that he did not do badly at that event.

No from all accounts I believe orridge sounded like the same idiot that he was at the league address with regards to having no clue about the running of the cfl. I think all fans were wondering where orridge was all season long when he hardly made a media apperance or made any type of announcements, I guess that was all answered on grey cup week when he didn't have any idea about the cfl. Can't really blame the guy I guess if the people running the league were stupid enough to give him $750,000 a year.

Rocket
01-02-2016, 12:34 AM

Argo57 don't you think having orridge around for another couple of years would be a bigger embarrassment to the league and owners then doing the more logical thing to just get rid of him at this point. I don't think anyone can honestly think that orridge is going to solve any of the leagues problems in the future. Allowing this joker to stay just feels a little to much déjà vu with the circus that Braley left behind in Toronto and it just feels we are going to go down the same route again with this moron. The same people that are still backing orridge are the same people that think what David Braley is doing out in b.c is good for the league which just doesn't make any sense.

Ron
01-02-2016, 05:15 AM
Argo57 don't you think having orridge around for another couple of years would be a bigger embarrassment to the league and owners then doing the more logical thing to just get rid of him at this point. I don't think anyone can honestly think that orridge is going to solve any of the leagues problems in the future. Allowing this joker to stay just feels a little to much déjà vu with the circus that Braley left behind in Toronto and it just feels we are going to go down the same route again with this moron. The same people that are still backing orridge are the same people that think what David Braley is doing out in b.c is good for the league which just doesn't make any sense.

Oridge will be pleased that you feel this way.

paulwoods13
01-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Orridge is decent at public speaking but Cohon was extremely dynamic so he suffers by comparison.

Based on how he did at his GC news conference and his interview with Brian Williams on the Sunday, I am not seeing much evidence that he's decent at public speaking. Clearly he needs more than eight months to prove his mettle, but he also needs to get a lot better at articulating his vision and answering questions.

Argo57
01-02-2016, 09:46 AM

I think they have to leave things alone and see how he fares in the 2016 season for a couple of reasons:
1) They obviously saw some good qualities and a certain skill set to lead this league and take it to the next level, the old adage could alloy here "everyone deserves a second chance" we may be surprised.
2) If the league pulls the plug too quickly on Orridge future candidates may be less inclined to leave current jobs to go to a league that will pull the plug at the slightest misstep.
As I said before if Orridge blunders through the 2016 season then all bets are off IMO.

**Many people wanted rid of Chris Rudge, imagine if that had happened Rocket, the man did a masterful job with the 100th Grey Cup and guided the good ship Argonaut cleanly through some rough times and single handedly kept the franchise afloat**


AngeloV
01-02-2016, 10:09 AM
**Many people wanted rid of Chris Rudge, imagine if that had happened Rocket, the man did a masterful job with the 100th Grey Cup and guided the good ship Argonaut cleanly through some rough times and single handedly kept the franchise afloat**


Good luck convincing Rocket of that.

Rocket
01-02-2016, 01:21 PM
I think they have to leave things alone and see how he fares in the 2016 season for a couple of reasons:
1) They obviously saw some good qualities and a certain skill set to lead this league and take it to the next level, the old adage could alloy here "everyone deserves a second chance" we may be surprised.
2) If the league pulls the plug too quickly on Orridge future candidates may be less inclined to leave current jobs to go to a league that will pull the plug at the slightest misstep.
As I said before if Orridge blunders through the 2016 season then all bets are off IMO.



I think a lot of people get hired for a position with companies or any line of work thinking that they have found the right person who has good qualities or certain skill set to be successful at there job. But at the end of there term or a few weeks/months they found out they had hired the wrong individual for the job. Just look at the last mayor of Toronto or I am sure you found people who you worked in your line of work that just couldn't get the job done.
I see where you are saying that it doesn't look good on future Candidates but if you remember a few years back when Braley fired two commissioners in a matter less then a year. And it still got us the best cfl commissioner the league had ever seen in Mark Cohen so I really wouldn't think it wouldn't be to bad to fire orridge now. How will the league look after a few more seasons of orridge just collecting his cheques and doing nothing in return. How will cfl get and quality future candidate after a few years of orridge bringing the cfl down with him?

jerrym
01-02-2016, 04:04 PM
This is no longer the Sydney Halter era (CFL commissioner from 1958 to 1966 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Halter) who almost no one heard from until he stopped the 1963 Grey Cup Fog Bowl, resulting in it taking two days to complete the game. Today's commissioner needs strong communication skills to help project the league's image in a very diverse sports and media market. Orridge (every time I type his name spell checker converts it to Porridge, which is what he reminds me of - the cold variety that tastes blah) has not shown much in the way of such skills.

argotom
01-07-2016, 09:49 PM
This is no longer the Sydney Halter era (CFL commissioner from 1958 to 1966 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Halter) who almost no one heard from until he stopped the 1963 Grey Cup Fog Bowl, resulting in it taking two days to complete the game. Today's commissioner needs strong communication skills to help project the league's image in a very diverse sports and media market. Orridge (every time I type his name spell checker converts it to Porridge, which is what he reminds me of - the cold variety that tastes blah) has not shown much in the way of such skills.

Agreed with you.
So far he has been a major disappointment.

argos1873
01-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Agreed with you.
So far he has been a major disappointment.

I really wouldn't call him a MAJOR disappointment, but he has disappointed. Here's the thing with him, he's probably actually very intelligent, has a lot of great ideas, and has a lot of connections. He is probably definitely someone the league would love to have working for them. And he would probably make a great CEO at some company where the CEO doesn't really need a strong public leader. But here's the thing. He's a terrible public speaker, and he doesn't come off as a strong leader as a result. My problem with him is that when I watch him speak, he doesn't instil an ounce of confidence in me that he should be in the position he's in. A major sports league needs a strong leader as well as an intelligent one. I don't doubt his intelligence, but I strongly doubt his leadership. He needs to prove himself this year, or I think things might get real ugly for him.

Rocket
01-08-2016, 03:51 PM
I really wouldn't call him a MAJOR disappointment, but he has disappointed. Here's the thing with him, he's probably actually very intelligent, has a lot of great ideas, and has a lot of connections. He is probably definitely someone the league would love to have working for them. And he would probably make a great CEO at some company where the CEO doesn't really need a strong public leader. But here's the thing. He's a terrible public speaker, and he doesn't come off as a strong leader as a result. My problem with him is that when I watch him speak, he doesn't instil an ounce of confidence in me that he should be in the position he's in. A major sports league needs a strong leader as well as an intelligent one. I don't doubt his intelligence, but I strongly doubt his leadership. He needs to prove himself this year, or I think things might get real ugly for him.

Well if this guy is actually intelligent it would be nice if he actually picked up a book and read a little about the cfl and its history. Instead of sounding like a complete idiot when he does his media appereances.

R.J
01-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Patience is a virtue. Now, I'm not saying that Orridge is guaranteed to end up being a good Commish for the CFL, but less than a full year is not enough time to figure that out.

ArgoZ
01-09-2016, 10:37 AM
I would consider myself an above average CFL fan, but as an Argo fan, many would see me as a CFL diehard. I have seen the commish on TV a few times and he has seemed fine. I don't spend a lot of time on him, as he really is just an avenue to the owners. If it wasn't for forums like this, I would never know of the "terrible" job he is doing. The casual fan, Grey Cup watcher, or member of the general public cares far less than me. No, he doesn't deserve the criticism.

AngeloV
01-09-2016, 12:14 PM
I would consider myself an above average CFL fan, but as an Argo fan, many would see me as a CFL diehard. I have seen the commish on TV a few times and he has seemed fine. I don't spend a lot of time on him, as he really is just an avenue to the owners. If it wasn't for forums like this, I would never know of the "terrible" job he is doing. The casual fan, Grey Cup watcher, or member of the general public cares far less than me. No, he doesn't deserve the criticism.

Well said ArgoZ. As I have said many times, too many people just prefer to complain for the sake of complaining. I don't know, maybe it makes them feel smarter in some crazy way about themselves.

Just like the constant criticism of Chris Rudge. He was brought in to make the 100th Grey Cup a success, and it was. After that, he could only play with the cards that the owner dealt him.

R.J
01-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Just like the constant criticism of Chris Rudge. He was brought in to make the 100th Grey Cup a success, and it was. After that, he could only play with the cards that the owner dealt him.
Uh oh, now you've done it.

Rocket
01-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Well said ArgoZ. As I have said many times, too many people just prefer to complain for the sake of complaining. I don't know, maybe it makes them feel smarter in some crazy way about themselves.

Let it be on record here that Chris rudge had no part of any success for the 100th grey cup. That success was brought on by Mark Cohen and his staff for pushing and wanting a big party for the 100th and all the great cfl fans in this country. As well all the $10 million the cfl got from the government to host the event you could have had anybody have his name on the title as Chris rudge had for the event and it would have been a success. I would guarantee you could have had a clueless moron like Jeffery orridge for the 100th and it would have been the same story as when rudge was there.
Worst ever CEO will always go to Chris rudge and the worst owner will always go to David Braley end of story!

paulwoods13
01-09-2016, 03:14 PM
. . . end of story!

Please be true to your word on this.

AngeloV
01-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Let it be on record here that Chris rudge had no part of any success for the 100th grey cup. That success was brought on by Mark Cohen and his staff for pushing and wanting a big party for the 100th and all the great cfl fans in this country. As well all the $10 million the cfl got from the government to host the event you could have had anybody have his name on the title as Chris rudge had for the event and it would have been a success. I would guarantee you could have had a clueless moron like Jeffery orridge for the 100th and it would have been the same story as when rudge was there.
Worst ever CEO will always go to Chris rudge and the worst owner will always go to David Braley end of story!

Glad you got that out of your system..and even happier you've mastered the art of copy and paste. Not sure I've read you post that before.

Rocket
01-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Please be true to your word on this.

Yeah I trying to stop with the rudge/Braley talk but everytime someone always opens up on how great of a job rudge did or how Braley cares so much for the cfl just sets me off I can't help myself but go off.
And having some posters talk how orridge did a good job at the state of the league address or how he doesn't sound so bad justs gets me off even more. Cfl needs to get rid of having these useless guys who could care less about the cfl and only interest for these types of guys are how they are going to collect there pay cheque for doing nothing.

paulwoods13
01-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Yeah I trying to stop with the rudge/Braley talk but everytime someone always opens up on how great of a job rudge did or how Braley cares so much for the cfl just sets me off I can't help myself but go off.
And having some posters talk how orridge did a good job at the state of the league address or how he doesn't sound so bad justs gets me off even more. Cfl needs to get rid of having these useless guys who could care less about the cfl and only interest for these types of guys are how they are going to collect there pay cheque for doing nothing.

"I can't help myself." So get help.

Rocket
01-09-2016, 06:55 PM
"I can't help myself." So get help.

Well help can come if we don't have such people keep backing the same crappy regime that's always bring the cfl down. If us great fans of this league got together and defied this commissioner and others who want to do same crap he is doing now we would have a much stronger and healthier league to be a fan of.

argos1873
01-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Well help can come if we don't have such people keep backing the same crappy regime that's always bring the cfl down. If us great fans of this league got together and defied this commissioner and others who want to do same crap he is doing now we would have a much stronger and healthier league to be a fan of.

Name a better applicant for commissioner that got passed over in favour of Orridge. I'm not by any means saying Orridge is the best, but who would have been better in your opinion? Was there a lineup of super better commissioners in waiting beating down the door for the job, that you are aware of that we don't know about? You keep saying Orridge, is the worst. Maybe they are, but can you provide us and the league a better alternative? We all would love something better, and we all can criticize something we don't like. But can you do anything else besides that? Obviously if you think something is wrong, you shouldn't keep your mouth shut, but after awhile, without providing a better alternative, your constant whines just become unwanted noise. So I will ask you again, which applicant for commissioner that was denied, should have been chosen as the commissioner over Orridge?

R.J
01-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Name a better applicant for commissioner that got passed over in favour of Orridge. I'm not by any means saying Orridge is the best, but who would have been better in your opinion? Was there a lineup of super better commissioners in waiting beating down the door for the job, that you are aware of that we don't know about? You keep saying Orridge, is the worst. Maybe they are, but can you provide us and the league a better alternative? We all would love something better, and we all can criticize something we don't like. But can you do anything else besides that? Obviously if you think something is wrong, you shouldn't keep your mouth shut, but after awhile, without providing a better alternative, your constant whines just become unwanted noise. So I will ask you again, which applicant for commissioner that was denied, should have been chosen as the commissioner over Orridge?
ABOBRAS

Anyone but Orridge, Braley, Rudge and Snowrogue.

Rocket
01-09-2016, 10:03 PM

Well just heard a couple of names that was up for discussion when they were making the decision how about Richard peddle? Not to big of a fan of this guy but he did manage to triple the profits of ml$e in his time there. Karen stintz? Big fan of the Argos always going to there games demonstrated good leadership skills as a councilor in Toronto. I am sure there were many more out there how about even reaching out to a guy like Doug ford? Wouldn't think that ford would put up with crap with guys like Braley/rudge and others were doing in there time with the cfl. There is so many others I would think if the cfl actually did there homework and research into getting a proper Candidate for this job. Mark Cohen left this job at a very high point in his career I wouldn't think it would be to hard to find a better canadiate then orridge.

jerrym
01-09-2016, 10:27 PM
How about even reaching out to a guy like Doug ford? Wouldn't think that ford would put up with crap with guys like Braley/rudge and others were doing in there time with the cfl.

Doug Ford? Oh! Come to think of it! He could give the CFL a global image similar to the one he gave Toronto! And wearing his Argos' uniform to boot!

argos1873
01-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Well just heard a couple of names that was up for discussion when they were making the decision how about Richard peddle? Not to big of a fan of this guy but he did manage to triple the profits of ml$e in his time there. Karen stintz? Big fan of the Argos always going to there games demonstrated good leadership skills as a councilor in Toronto. I am sure there were many more out there how about even reaching out to a guy like Doug ford? Wouldn't think that ford would put up with crap with guys like Braley/rudge and others were doing in there time with the cfl. There is so many others I would think if the cfl actually did there homework and research into getting a proper Candidate for this job. Mark Cohen left this job at a very high point in his career I wouldn't think it would be to hard to find a better canadiate then orridge.

How do you know they didn't reach out to, laugh, Doug Ford? Karen Stintz, what has she ever done? Richard Peddle, you mean Peddie. I'm pretty sure a trained ape could have tripled the profits of MLSE, but how about the product on the ice, court etc. So basically you are just throwing out names. So no real alternative. Maybe you need to go read a book, a book about how to be a good troll. Because that's what you are trying to be, but you suck at it.

Argo57
01-09-2016, 11:15 PM

Political City Hall weasels and slick talking former MLSE shill need not apply for the Commisioner's job, I'll stick with Orridge.

AngeloV
01-10-2016, 12:57 AM

Nothing wrong with having the feelings you do, Rocket. It's just that it's pretty much the same post over and over again. You sound like you've been an Argos fan for a long time, like most of us on here. I'd love to see you post more observations on the on field product and less about past presidents, and current commissioners.

paulwoods13
01-10-2016, 10:02 AM
I'd love to see you post more observations on the on field product and none about past presidents, and current commissioners.

Fixed it.

Rocket
01-10-2016, 11:21 AM
How do you know they didn't reach out to, laugh, Doug Ford? Karen Stintz, what has she ever done? Richard Peddle, you mean Peddie. I'm pretty sure a trained ape could have tripled the profits of MLSE, but how about the product on the ice, court etc. So basically you are just throwing out names. So no real alternative. Maybe you need to go read a book, a book about how to be a good troll. Because that's what you are trying to be, but you suck at it.

I don't know if they did or did not reach out for Doug ford just saying that these guys would have been better commissioner then the guy we have now. I don't know what is to laugh about Doug ford the guy almost became mayor of Toronto with running a short campaign of a couple of months with no public money given to him and Tory having all the lobbyist and elite in Toronto donating all kinds of money towards him for his campaign. And now is rumored to become the next prime minister of Canada. Karen Stintz if she was cfl commish would have a lot more knowledge about the cfl then a guy like orridge who doesn't have a clue about the cfl past or present. Would have shown more passion and enthusiasm for cfl then orridge ever would be able to. Richard peddie has already proven himself to be a winner when it comes to generating money for a major corporation in ml$e with tripling profits to over a couple of billion for sports franchises that don't even win any games or get into the playoffs which is pretty impressive if you think about it. So instead of just name calling and just getting upset with a certain poster why don't you give a good reason to why Jeffery orridge should keep his job with the cfl? Tell me what has this guy done to prove that he is a worthy commissioner because to me from all aspects this guys first year was a major dissapoinment and has every reason to get dissimissed from his job.

AngeloV
01-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I don't know if they did or did not reach out for Doug ford just saying that these guys would have been better commissioner then the guy we have now. I don't know what is to laugh about Doug ford the guy almost became mayor of Toronto with running a short campaign of a couple of months with no public money given to him and Tory having all the lobbyist and elite in Toronto donating all kinds of money towards him for his campaign.

Yeah, who wouldn't want to see every drug dealer in Canada greeting fans at the gates?

argolio
01-10-2016, 11:59 PM
Well just heard a couple of names that was up for discussion when they were making the decision how about Richard peddle? Not to big of a fan of this guy but he did manage to triple the profits of ml$e in his time there. Karen stintz? Big fan of the Argos always going to there games demonstrated good leadership skills as a councilor in Toronto. I am sure there were many more out there how about even reaching out to a guy like Doug ford? Wouldn't think that ford would put up with crap with guys like Braley/rudge and others were doing in there time with the cfl. There is so many others I would think if the cfl actually did there homework and research into getting a proper Candidate for this job. Mark Cohen left this job at a very high point in his career I wouldn't think it would be to hard to find a better canadiate then orridge.Doug Ford wanted to get a Toronto NFL team and tried to sneak through a plan to build an 80,000 seat stadium in the Portlands for that purpose. And Richard Peddie had no use for the Argos/CFL when he worked for MLSE.

How about you doing some homework?

Rocket
01-11-2016, 01:33 AM
Doug Ford wanted to get a Toronto NFL team and tried to sneak through a plan to build an 80,000 seat stadium in the Portlands for that purpose. And Richard Peddie had no use for the Argos/CFL when he worked for MLSE.

How about you doing some homework?

So what do you think of our current owner who buys the Argos and the next day talks with the media on how he wants to bring the nfl to Toronto then? If Richard peddle actually collected a pay cheque from the cfl I would think he would do a much better job then Jeffery orridge has ever done just look at a guy like Keith pelley when he collected a cheque from the Argos that guy worked his butt of 24/7 for the Argos.

ArgoRavi
01-11-2016, 10:49 AM
So what do you think of our current owner who buys the Argos and the next day talks with the media on how he wants to bring the nfl to Toronto then? If Richard peddle actually collected a pay cheque from the cfl I would think he would do a much better job then Jeffery orridge has ever done just look at a guy like Keith pelley when he collected a cheque from the Argos that guy worked his butt of 24/7 for the Argos.

How do you know how much or how little work Orridge does, Rocket? Do you stalk him on a daily basis?

paulwoods13
01-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Why don't we all please stop responding to the endless bait of our favourite poster? Stop responding and maybe the repetitive blah-blah will dissipate.

R.J
01-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Tom Anselmi, Skip Prince, Doug Hayes, and an unknown Montreal Investment banker were the only leaked information during the search. Stinz put her name out there via the media, but doesn't have the credentials. Doug Ford ? lol
Richard Peddie, the guy who mockingly jokes that he could have gotten the Argonauts for free, but they weren't worth it and acknowledges that he convinced the Teachers Pension fund MLSE board to not buy the Argonauts on at least two separate occasions ?

Thank god you weren't the one choosing the Commish, Rocket. The league is better for it.

Rocket
01-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Tom Anselmi, Skip Prince, Doug Hayes, and an unknown Montreal Investment banker were the only leaked information during the search. Stinz put her name out there via the media, but doesn't have the credentials. Doug Ford ? lol
Richard Peddie, the guy who mockingly jokes that he could have gotten the Argonauts for free, but they weren't worth it and acknowledges that he convinced the Teachers Pension fund MLSE board to not buy the Argonauts on at least two separate occasions ?

Thank god you weren't the one choosing the Commish, Rocket. The league is better for it.

Well I am pretty confident once you get one of these top CEOs/president from other companies that they start singing a different tune once they get hired by a company that they are collecting a pay cheque from. Just look at a guy like like Keith pelley I remember him standing up to all media types in Toronto for change in the perception of the cfl. I can tell you one thing that pelley never put his head down or stood along blaming how Toronto was to big time to support the cfl and Argos in Toronto unlike a certain CEO. But the bottom line is Jeffery orridge just doesn't have what it takes to lead this league we need winners people who have passion and a strong work ethic.

R.J
01-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Well I am pretty confident once you get one of these top CEOs/president from other companies that they start singing a different tune once they get hired by a company that they are collecting a pay cheque from. Just look at a guy like like Keith pelley I remember him standing up to all media types in Toronto for change in the perception of the cfl. I can tell you one thing that pelley never put his head down or stood along blaming how Toronto was to big time to support the cfl and Argos in Toronto unlike a certain CEO. But the bottom line is Jeffery orridge just doesn't have what it takes to lead this league we need winners people who have passion and a strong work ethic.I love how you just assume that Orridge isn't passionate about the CFL and doesn't have a strong work ethic.
Have you seen him in his office and the work he does ?
Have you seen him during the business meetings he has with the League Governors or even the business communities in CFL markets ?
Have you noticed that during Orrdige's tenure he's signed agreements with Whistle Sports, Microsoft, redtag.ca, kal tire, BF goodrich, Canadian Beef, Casa di mama, oddshark and made the playoffs and Grey cup available pretty much worldwide (minus China) ?

You seem to think that Orridge doesn't take pride in doing a good job and doesn't take his appointment as the Commissioner of the CFl seriously. I guess he's just collecting a pay cheque and playing candy crush all day.

AngeloV
01-11-2016, 03:12 PM
I love how you just assume that Orridge isn't passionate about the CFL and doesn't have a strong work ethic.
Have you seen him in his office and the work he does ?
Have you seen him during the business meetings he has with the League Governors or even the business communities in CFL markets ?
Have you noticed that during Orrdige's tenure he's signed agreements with Whistle Sports, Microsoft, redtag.ca, kal tire, BF goodrich, Canadian Beef, Casa di mama, oddshark and made the playoffs and Grey cup available pretty much worldwide (minus China) ?

You seem to think that Orridge doesn't take pride in doing a good job and doesn't take his appointment as the Commissioner of the CFl seriously. I guess he's just collecting a pay cheque and playing candy crush all day.

LMFAO.

Can't wait for the rebuttal to this.

paulwoods13
01-11-2016, 03:20 PM
LMFAO.

Can't wait for the rebuttal to this.

I can.

AngeloV
01-11-2016, 04:16 PM
I can.

Come on Paul, this is getting funny. Why do we always have to be so serious?

timlb01
01-11-2016, 05:03 PM
I have not been a big fan of him but seriously it is so easy to criticize anyone especially in a public position. If Richard Peddie wanted the job he would have put his name in. The CFL commissioner is a tough job with low pay for similar type work. I would do the job because of my passion for the league, the fans and the country. Money would be far down the list as this job is a major headache. Just think about the politics with the owners alone. Man that has to be a major pain not even considering the media and complaining fans! He isn't going anywhere soon so lets hope he adapts to the public eye and helps the league grow and become stronger.

paulwoods13
01-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Come on Paul, this is getting funny. Why do we always have to be so serious?

Humour is a matter of personal taste. I stopped thinking Rocket"s repetitive rants were funny when I blocked him, months ago.

argotom
01-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Peddie is definitely two faced so he would be out.
My man Ford I like as a politician but like Angelo said he was also up front as a big NFL fan and also wanting a Toronto franchise, so hypothetically he is out.
Orridge, the jury is definitely out based on his poor performance during GC.
Can't evaluate anyone behind the scenes so that's not a factor here.

AngeloV
01-11-2016, 08:06 PM
Humour is a matter of personal taste. I stopped thinking Rocket"s repetitive rants were funny when I blocked him, months ago.

I know, but I am beyond the stage of getting mad at these now, and just think of the 3 stooges every time I read one of those posts.

R.J
04-05-2016, 07:28 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: At meetings this week, league officials told team execs the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> 'intentionally' went quiet this winter.<br><br>Quite the, um, 'strategy'</p>&mdash; Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/717409281428037632">April 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TBH I'm not a fan of Madani (great at scooping for CFL info, not so much in how he says it), but I have to agree with him here. Being intentionally quiet this off season is a head scratcher - maybe the League shouldn't be taking it's cues from Orridge.
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j328/MontyBurns1140/orrige%20missing_zpsfycihafh.jpg

Found over on riderfans - had a good laugh.

ArgoRavi
04-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Has the league been any quieter this off-season than during previous off-seasons? I don't think so. Madani has been busy stepping up his criticism of the league in recent days as mini-camps and training camps approach.

rdavies
04-05-2016, 10:10 PM
My favourite Trash Madani moment was when even McCown put a bullet in him by saying "I understand you have to defend the company you work for, but..."

jerrym
04-06-2016, 01:09 AM
It's one thing not to get the coverage you hoped for, but see no reason to go "intentionally quiet" makes zero sense to me.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

ArgoGabe22
04-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Perhaps the league isn't as transparent as it was under Cohon and Madani is just being a smartass about it. I'm surprised he didn't use the words BREAKING or #40Boats.

Scooter McCray
04-06-2016, 12:20 PM
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 500px; height: 224.219px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="717409281428037632" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TBH I'm not a fan of Madani (great at scooping for CFL info, not so much in how he says it), but I have to agree with him here. Being intentionally quiet this off season is a head scratcher - maybe the League shouldn't be taking it's cues from Orridge.
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j328/MontyBurns1140/orrige missing_zpsfycihafh.jpg

Found over on riderfans - had a good laugh.
I hope he is going drive revenues through the roof, and make inroads on new business frontiers like the NFL on twitter, etc. Because his PR with the league fan base is not improving but going the opposite direction. He could be connecting with the fanbase at town hall meetings in the winter, etc...I am interested in what he proposed he was going to do for the league and what his vision was during his job interview. <iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

ArgoRavi
04-06-2016, 02:32 PM
It's one thing not to get the coverage you hoped for, but see no reason to go "intentionally quiet" makes zero sense to me.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I strongly suspect that phrase "intentionally quiet" was taken completely out of context if it was ever used at all. Again, I see no difference between the league's visibility this off-season and in off-seasons past.

KCargosfan
04-09-2016, 05:19 PM
I strongly suspect that phrase "intentionally quiet" was taken completely out of context if it was ever used at all. Again, I see no difference between the league's visibility this off-season and in off-seasons past.

From the U.S. perspective, I don't either.

Cohon was a master at PR, so it's kind of a tough act to follow from that point for Orridge, but that doesn't really matter as long as he is bringing in more $$ to the league, which seems to be the case.

Will
04-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Perhaps the league isn't as transparent as it was under Cohon and Madani is just being a smartass about it. I'm surprised he didn't use the words BREAKING or #40Boats.

The league could be as transparent as glass and Madani would still be a smartass about it.

jerrym
04-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Based on how he did at his GC news conference and his interview with Brian Williams on the Sunday, I am not seeing much evidence that he's decent at public speaking. Clearly he needs more than eight months to prove his mettle, but he also needs to get a lot better at articulating his vision and answering questions.

This was apparent when he filled his opening comments upon being chosen commissioner with so many ums and uhs. Its hard work but can improve with a lot of practice and professional help, but he needs to do this or be replaced. The league also needs to make sure that when the next commissioner is chosen, whenever that is, a high level of communication skills are mandatory to even make the short list.

R.J
06-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Even the Commish is getting hyped up about our Home Opener/ the season opener. Also bits about video reviews, drug testing policy and social media, gaming etc.
http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6735442-cfl-commissioner-excited-for-season-opener/

The Commish is also starting to understand how strong Rider Nation is.
http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/jeffrey-orridge-has-learned-quickly-about-rider-nation

Jayahre
06-26-2016, 08:45 AM
I was at the game on Thursday night and when Orridge was introduced at the pre-game ceremony I didn't hear any boos, just applause.

AngeloV
06-26-2016, 09:51 AM
I was at the game on Thursday night and when Orridge was introduced at the pre-game ceremony I didn't hear any boos, just applause.

That's a good point. How many other pro leagues in North America does that happen in?

ArgoRavi
06-26-2016, 01:46 PM
IMO, Orridge is doing a fine job as he is growing into this job. I know that his public speaking has been criticized extensively but I believe that he has improved on that considerably over the off-season. He seemed quite comfortable the other night on TSN when he had to give a lengthy interview during that long weather delay during the Montreal/Winnipeg game.

The commissioner job isn't unlike others in that it takes time to get the hang of things. We are seeing an Orridge that is much more comfortable today than a year ago and I expect he will only get better and better.

Argoknot
06-26-2016, 02:07 PM
That's a good point. How many other pro leagues in North America does that happen in?The CFL is one of the few leagues where fans love the league as much as they love their team and that is reflected in the respect people show towards the Commish.

Argoknot
06-26-2016, 02:13 PM
I think Orridge is doing a good job. Even if he was incompetent he is staying the hell out of the way while things are progressing nicely off the field. I don't think that's the case however and lots of good initiatives have been started under his watch.

Maybe it's a factor of Bell/Tan buying the Argos but the broadcasts look much better and have improved considerably. The Adidas gear looks great and I'm beyond the age of caring about such things but the uniforms and off the field clothes are very nice.

One way or another this kind of stuff comes under the Commish's stewardship and all is going well.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8