PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Schedule

Qman
01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Going thru the MLS schedule to figure out what dates MLSE/TSN wanted held for Argos dates.
FYI the following saturdays will be available - basically 2-3 saturdays a month

Bolded the most likely weeks (some weeks will likely have a thur/friday night game instead --- probably July 29 and Sept 16)

Grand opening of BMO field will be around June 25th ... with dry run preseason game around June 11

June 11
June 25
July 16
July 30
Aug 13
Aug 20
Sept 3
Sept 10
Sept 17
Oct 8
Oct 15
Oct 30
Nov 6

Rocket
01-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Let's hope the cfl comes out with this schedule soon no need to wait any longer to figure out when these games are going to be played and allow the teams to properly market there flex and season tickets packages. Not sure what the lousy commissioner is doing now if he is on vacation or just sitting around doing nothing for the off season. but let's hope he realizes how important it is to get the schedule out as soon as possible we have already seen this slacker delay the hosting of the grey cups let's hope he doesn't do the same for the rest of the cfl schedule

paulwoods13
01-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Thanks for doing this Qman -- very helpful for planning.

June 11
June 25
July 16
July 30 -- doubt we will play at home on this date because TFC is at home the next day
Aug 13
Aug 20
Sept 3 -- this is Labour Day weekend so we won't be at home this week unless there is no alternative schedule-wise
Sept 10
Sept 17
Oct 8 -- Oct. 2 also looks available; TFC plays at home on Oct. 1
Oct 15
Oct 30
Nov 6

I added some comments above. I really hope we open at home around June 25 as I have to be away in early July and I would hate to miss the opener. June 25 and July 16 would be perfect dates for me.

As I expected, we are likely going to have a back-loaded schedule, with potentially four home games in October and one in November. That problem should go away in 2017 when TFC won't need to play its first eight (!) games on the road.

Qman
01-07-2016, 06:02 PM
I added some comments above. I really hope we open at home around June 25 as I have to be away in early July and I would hate to miss the opener. June 25 and July 16 would be perfect dates for me.

As I expected, we are likely going to have a back-loaded schedule, with potentially four home games in October and one in November. That problem should go away in 2017 when TFC won't need to play its first eight (!) games on the road.

I almost guarantee you that we will likely be playing around July28th/29th. TFC has moved their home game for some reason to a sunday (every other home game on saturday), which means TSN probably wants a Argo game on Thurs or Fri (i guessing friday because the only teams draw well on the new thursday date in summer is WPG and MTL). I believe every other game has 7 day buffer (one team is away and other is home)

We could easily play 6 summer games/4 in fall or 5 summer/5 fall with this schedule (and you're right schedule will be even better after this season).

eiben35
01-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Don't forget the possible TFC friendlies and amway cup games and such!

Qman there is no way the Argos would play on July 30th. TFC plays the very next day. Sept. 17t is the same. TFC plays on the 18th.

ArgoRavi
01-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Let's hope the cfl comes out with this schedule soon no need to wait any longer to figure out when these games are going to be played and allow the teams to properly market there flex and season tickets packages. Not sure what the lousy commissioner is doing now if he is on vacation or just sitting around doing nothing for the off season. but let's hope he realizes how important it is to get the schedule out as soon as possible we have already seen this slacker delay the hosting of the grey cups let's hope he doesn't do the same for the rest of the cfl schedule

Orridge just gave a speech to the business community in Ottawa the other day, Rocket, so you don't have to worry about him not being hard at work. I seem to recall reading that it was an entertaining speech that he gave at that.

As for the prospective Argos home schedule, it looks promising. We certainly don't have to worry about it in the same way that we used to at SkyDome.

paulwoods13
01-07-2016, 09:02 PM
I almost guarantee you that we will likely be playing around July28th/29th. TFC has moved their home game for some reason to a sunday (every other home game on saturday), which means TSN probably wants a Argo game on Thurs or Fri (i guessing friday because the only teams draw well on the new thursday date in summer is WPG and MTL).

I will be stunned if we play a home game one or two days before a TFC home game. Not politically palatable for TFC ownership, and I don't believe our owners or TSN will fan those flames. Not this year, at least.

argos1873
01-07-2016, 11:05 PM
I will be stunned if we play a home game one or two days before a TFC home game. Not politically palatable for TFC ownership, and I don't believe our owners or TSN will fan those flames. Not this year, at least.

I agree with you, but wasn't it Larry T, or someone related to the Bell/Tananbaum or MLSE group, suggesting that they had the methods or technology available to ensure that the field could be ready for soccer shortly after a football game? I could be wrong, but if I'm not, maybe they are wanting and willing to test it out?

Rocket
01-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Orridge just gave a speech to the business community in Ottawa the other day, Rocket, so you don't have to worry about him not being hard at work. I seem to recall reading that it was an entertaining speech that he gave at that.

As for the prospective Argos home schedule, it looks promising. We certainly don't have to worry about it in the same way that we used to at SkyDome.

Yeah not sure how the schedule will be this year as the tfc don't play at home for the first couple of months so a lot of home games will be played later on during the Argo season,as well they will not want to play games to close to each other. Still a lot of questions to be answered with all of this I am sure bell ml$e are still waiting to see how this all plays out.

T-Bone
01-08-2016, 07:48 AM
2016 TFC Regular Season Home Schedule (http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule?month=1&year=2016&club_options=Home&op=Update&form_build_id=form-fZnoQSz36O-zLzIv1horDgT509F3fjJ9ILCiPIefG6M&form_id=mp7_schedule_hub_search_filters_form)

Don't forget the possible TFC friendlies and amway cup games and such!
The majority of friendlies and the Canadian Championship games are played on Wednesdays. The Canadian Championship games will be held in June and July this year.

Let's hope the cfl comes out with this schedule soon no need to wait any longer to figure out when these games are going to be played and allow the teams to properly market there flex and season tickets packages.
MLB usually has their schedule out for the next season before their current season ends. That means the CFL actually had more time before to sort out the schedule than they do now so I'm not sure why you think the schedule will be out that much sooner than usual. MLS schedule just came out yesterday and the season starts March 6, that's only 2 months in advance. The CFL schedule usually comes out in February slightly over 3 months in advance, I don't see the problem.

Neely2005
01-08-2016, 08:59 AM
MLB usually has their schedule out for the next season before their current season ends. That means the CFL actually had more time before to sort out the schedule than they do now so I'm not sure why you think the schedule will be out that much sooner than usual. MLS schedule just came out yesterday and the season starts March 6, that's only 2 months in advance. The CFL schedule usually comes out in February slightly over 3 months in advance, I don't see the problem.

MLB wasn't the only thing that had to be scheduled around at the Rogers Centre.

Will
01-08-2016, 09:22 AM
My father spoke to his ticket rep yesterday who said that the schedule might still be a little wonky this year because of the renovations forcing Toronto FC's home schedule to start a little bit late. He said that we might end up with a couple of games on unusual days, but that they'd be much more evenly distributed throughout the season.

Neely2005
01-08-2016, 09:25 AM
My father spoke to his ticket rep yesterday who said that the schedule might still be a little wonky this year because of the renovations forcing Toronto FC's home schedule to start a little bit late. He said that we might end up with a couple of games on unusual days, but that they'd be much more evenly distributed throughout the season.

Hopefully we have fewer home games in October and November than the past few seasons.

doubleblue
01-08-2016, 09:56 AM

I wonder, does wonky mean in this case some Tuesday Night games again. I can see why some people are holding off buying ST's with the possibility of these unusal days.

timlb01
01-08-2016, 10:38 AM

He is working on the 2017 CFL Logo and a new marketing plan to attractive fans under the age of 6.

Double Dare
01-08-2016, 12:49 PM
He is working on the 2017 CFL Logo and a new marketing plan to attractive fans under the age of 6. Ha, ha ... they'll hand out crayons and a logo colouring book at the gates.

BATKINSON001
01-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Ha, ha ... they'll hand out crayons and a logo colouring book at the gates. gotta start 'em young. Get them hooked.

T-Bone
01-08-2016, 01:46 PM
2016 Canadian Championship Schedule Announced (http://www.canadasoccer.com/2016-amway-canadian-championship-schedule-announced-p159058)

Rocket
01-08-2016, 03:36 PM
2016 TFC Regular Season Home Schedule (http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule?month=1&year=2016&club_options=Home&op=Update&form_build_id=form-fZnoQSz36O-zLzIv1horDgT509F3fjJ9ILCiPIefG6M&form_id=mp7_schedule_hub_search_filters_form)

The majority of friendlies and the Canadian Championship games are played on Wednesdays. The Canadian Championship games will be held in June and July this year.

Two things that I didn't like under Mark Cohen leadership was that he didn't do enough work with regards to the Argo situation and how he dealt with the schedule. I don't understand why you would want to delay getting the schedule out when the cfl teams are usually the main tenants to there stadiums. And if they have some kind of issues with the city/university etc. they should negotiate some deal so they get this done on time and give proper dates for these games to be played out.
I will guarantee we won't see the schedule come out in the first couple of weeks in February under Jeffery orridge this clown will make up all kinds of stupid excuses to why he won't be able to get it done. I also wouldn't be surprised with orridge doing something stupid like forgetting to put the Argos/ti cats game on labour day or something around those lines.

R.J
01-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Jeffery orridge this clown
Pot meets kettle.

paulwoods13
01-08-2016, 04:26 PM
2016 Canadian Championship Schedule Announced (http://www.canadasoccer.com/2016-amway-canadian-championship-schedule-announced-p159058)

So June 21-22 and June 28-29 will be kept open on the BMO calendar. Looks almost certain to me we will open June 25, with second date July 16. The latter could be the home opener but if so we will have a really back-loaded schedule again (as does TFC this season).

KCargosfan
01-11-2016, 03:02 AM
Part of this could be exposure. I have no idea how big the NFL is in Canada, but if it gets a decent amount of attention, why release the schedule during the NFL playoffs? February is the worst sports month of the year if you don't like basketball, so releasing it then means you will get more media attention.

Neely2005
02-05-2016, 11:13 AM
IMO this means our schedule will include 10 of these dates (roughly):

June 11 preseason
June 25 opener
July 16
July 30
Aug. 13
Aug. 20
Sept. 10
Oct. 2
Oct. 8-9
Oct. 15-16
Oct. 29-30
Nov. 6

The Honda Indy weekend is July 15th-17th which I believe eliminates the 16th as a potential date. Also, TFC plays at home on July 31st so I believe that eliminates July 30th. The rest looks right.

After reading T Bones last post in the Seating Chart Thread is anyone else starting to get worried that we're going to have a back loaded schedule yet again?

We really don't want to be sitting outside for 5+ games in late September, October and November.

Will
02-05-2016, 11:22 AM
After reading T Bones last post in the Seating Chart Thread is anyone else starting to get worried that we're going to have a back loaded schedule yet again?

We really don't want to be sitting outside for 5+ games in late September, October and November.

Wimp

Mightygoose
02-05-2016, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't be worried. TFC has to have their home schedule compressed since they can't use it until early May. So if the Argos have a back heavy home schedule and none for July for this year only, I'll be fine.

If TFC, starts their home schedule on time in 2017, they'll have another 2 months to spread games earlier and they'll be plenty of dates for both teams.

eiben35
02-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Not sure everyone is going to like the sked. this season. Because TFC has to play the first two months on the road they are going to play more games at home during the CFL season then normal. Looks like a couple of Wednesdays, couple of Mondays with one being a holiday, I think a Friday and the rest saturdays. I wish they would play Sundays.

Neely2005
02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Wimp

Thanks for that it was very helpful. As I mentioned before my wife comes to most of the games with me and she cannot handle the cold at all.

I'm sure that most people would rather be sitting outside in June, July and August than September, October and November.

Will
02-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks for that it was very helpful. As I mentioned before my wife comes to most of the games with me and she cannot handle the cold at all.

I'm sure that most people would rather be sitting outside in June, July and August than September, October and November.

Relax, I was joking

Neely2005
02-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Relax, I was joking

Cool, you should probably use a smiley next time so that the reader knows that.
:)

1argoholic
02-05-2016, 12:17 PM
As I've mentioned before after sitting through plenty of years at the CNE that fall weather along the lake is like no where else in Canada to watch the CFL. It can be down right dank, windy, rainy and cold. Very hard to dress for unlike in the Prairies where you generally just need warm gear. Rain can come in sideways so plenty of folks while under so called cover could still get soaked. Summer games would be killer on a great day.

After reading the posts again I can't help but think that the Argos will indeed be jerked around again and playing second fiddle. We won't know until the sched comes out but right now I'm very glad I won't have seasons. If we end up with weeknight games that would suck for us coming in for games. I hope to do an over nighter or two depending on ticket availability.

AngeloV
02-05-2016, 12:30 PM
I like sitting in the climate control myself, but after going to the 2 "home" games in Hamilton, I have no worries about the outdoors. It's not like Toronto sees temperatures much below 5 degrees even through November. I am just so looking forward to a stadium with better sitelines all around.

T-Bone
02-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Not sure everyone is going to like the sked. this season.
I'll take the sked home schedule over playing home games in Fort McMurray, Ottawa and Hamilton.

paulwoods13
02-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Clearly we will have a back-loaded schedule. That's been clear ever since the TFC schedule was released. And to that I say, so what? I don't care how cold and wet it gets, the experience at BMO will be 100 times better than it was in the soul-less, two-thirds-empty spaceship on Front Street. Football is meant to be played outdoors -- long johns, parkas and rain ponchos are not a massive hardship for fans to endure.

AngeloV
02-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Clearly we will have a back-loaded schedule. That's been clear ever since the TFC schedule was released. And to that I say, so what? I don't care how cold and wet it gets, the experience at BMO will be 100 times better than it was in the soul-less, two-thirds-empty spaceship on Front Street. Football is meant to be played outdoors -- long johns, parkas and rain ponchos are not a massive hardship for fans to endure.

I'm with you on this Paul.

Scooter McCray
02-05-2016, 01:20 PM
For existing diehards like us it doesn't matter when they play. We will go. Staying relevant in this most important of seasons becomes more difficult if this beleaguered team has to play on the road and away from home for a full month again. I am hoping this does not happen anymore. Let somebody else be accommodating for a change. Stop the planet of the apes. I want to get off.

Qman
02-05-2016, 03:54 PM
The Honda Indy weekend is July 15th-17th which I believe eliminates the 16th as a potential date. Also, TFC plays at home on July 31st so I believe that eliminates July 30th. The rest looks right.

or we are playing a thursday nighter that week July 28th, TFC moved their game to sunday for some reason. I am just guessing that we are the reason.

T-Bone
02-05-2016, 04:11 PM
TFC moved their game to sunday for some reason.
When was it moved?

Neely2005
02-05-2016, 04:33 PM
This might sound like a dumb question but aside from the noise is there any reason that we couldn't play during the Honda Indy? They play during the CNE.

Will
02-05-2016, 04:38 PM
This might sound like a dumb question but aside from the noise is there any reason that we couldn't play during the Honda Indy? They play during the CNE.

Plenty of road closures in and around the area though, and yeah same for the CNE, but there aren't race cars driving around at whatever KPH like the Indy.

T-Bone
02-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Well, unless you want to dodge Indy cars going at about 300km an hour as you cross the course to make your way to the gates of BMO Field, I don't think it would be very safe.

R.J
02-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Well, unless you want to dodge Indy cars going at about 300km an hour as you cross the course to make your way to the gates of BMO Field, I don't think it would be very safe.
That sounds fun, but once would be enough for me.

Will
02-05-2016, 04:44 PM

...and once is likely the most you can try!

SPLAT!

T-Bone
02-05-2016, 04:45 PM

SPLAT!
https://www.siggraph.org/publications/newsletter/v33n2/columns/images/rouse3.gif

Will
02-05-2016, 04:47 PM
https://www.siggraph.org/publications/newsletter/v33n2/columns/images/rouse3.gif

An accurate description if this were Miami, but I doubt we'll find many alligators at Ontario Place.

R.J
02-05-2016, 04:49 PM
What game is that ?

Neely2005
02-05-2016, 04:55 PM

I've been to the Indy twice and IIRC they erect a pedestrian bridge from the Exhibition GO Station over the road to where the Food Building / BMO Field are.

T-Bone
02-05-2016, 04:55 PM
What game is that ?
Frogger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogger)

I've been to the Indy twice and IIRC they erect a pedestrian bridge from the Exhibition GO Station over the road to where the Food Building / BMO Field are.
How do you keep Indy paid costumers separate from Argos paid costumers?
How many gates do you have available for Argos costumers to enter and exit BMO Field?
What if there is an emergency?
How do you bring in the broadcasting trucks and equipment?
How do you get the players busses in and out?
Etc.
Something tells me the logistics don't make sense to try and put on a two or three hour event at BMO Field during the Indy which is why there has never been a TFC game during the Indy.

Deerkeeper
02-05-2016, 06:27 PM

SPLAT!

For some reason, this post got me thinking about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO-YkaXGtLM

argos1873
02-05-2016, 11:41 PM
An accurate description if this were Miami, but I doubt we'll find many alligators at Ontario Place.

Climate change.

ArgoGabe22
02-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Starts at 0:26

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dj3kXXIw02s" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

R.J
02-06-2016, 12:06 PM
^That's hilarious.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> schedule out soon. In shocking development, leaked report says Toronto <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argonauts?src=hash">#Argonauts</a> may play home games in Toronto this season.</p>&mdash; Chris Zelkovich (@czelkov) <a href="https://twitter.com/czelkov/status/695309691757424641">February 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AngeloV
02-06-2016, 12:50 PM
For some reason, this post got me thinking about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO-YkaXGtLM

Absolute classic. Best line of that movie: I've got 2 words for that...Bull Shit.

Ron
02-07-2016, 12:16 AM

There was one in High Park a while back so you never know.

Neely2005
02-08-2016, 08:14 AM
I'm thinking that the schedule comes out this week, but not today as they'll want to give everyone a day to talk about the super bore.

I'm wondering if having the schedule is going to help or hurt ticket sales? If there aren't a lot of summer games people may not be as excited to sit outside.

KCargosfan
02-08-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking that the schedule comes out this week, but not today as they'll want to give everyone a day to talk about the super bore.

I'm wondering if having the schedule is going to help or hurt ticket sales? If there aren't a lot of summer games people may not be as excited to sit outside.

Nah, it will come out next week if the CFL has any sense. Free agency will give the league plenty of press this week. No need to waste a bullet this week when you can stay in the news next week on a new topic.

R.J
02-08-2016, 05:05 PM
February 16th at the earliest; I was told.

R.J
02-09-2016, 11:13 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’m hearing the 2016 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> schedule will be out next week.</p>&mdash; Scott Mitchell (@ScottMitchellPM) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottMitchellPM/status/697089929730510852">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

Neely2005
02-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Do you think that the Argonauts home opener at BMO Field should be against Hamilton? Or would you save them for later in the season as they’re usually a good draw.

R.J
02-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Do you think that the Argonauts home opener at BMO Field should be against Hamilton? Or would you save them for later in the season as they’re usually a good draw.
I like this idea, but considering the first game will most likely sell out and be a huge event; maybe it's better to use Hamilton at another date.

Neely2005
02-09-2016, 08:06 PM
I like this idea, but considering the first game will most likely sell out and be a huge event; maybe it's better to use Hamilton at another date.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, not sure which idea I like better. IIRC Toronto was not supposed to play in the first game at Tim Hortons Field.

Will
02-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, not sure which idea I like better. IIRC Toronto was not supposed to play in the first game at Tim Hortons Field.

That's right, the first game at Tim Hortons Field was supposed to be against Ottawa or something like that, but the delays pushed it back to Labour Day and the Argos.

Mr. Pike
02-09-2016, 08:13 PM
You guys should get two home games against us this year , so why not blow one of those games on the first game extravaganza at BMO .......it will be a blast !!

paulwoods13
02-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Definitely not Hamilton. The first game will sell out without any help from Ticats fans; save their visits for a bit later when the novelty has worn off and some sales to Hamilton will help ensure another sellout.

1argoholic
02-09-2016, 09:21 PM
So Sask has their Sea Of Green, TO needs Waves Of Blue. I say fill as many seats as possible and have no room for Cats fans.

S.A.C.
02-09-2016, 10:12 PM
... I wish they would play Sundays.
TFC plays at home on July 31st so I believe that eliminates July 30th.Yes, you're correct, they've said they will not schedule an Argo game to be less than five days before a soccer game, but as far as I know there is nothing that would prevent an Argo game being scheduled the day after a soccer game. From what I can see, that last weekend of July and September 24-25 are the only two weekends that are unavailable because they are followed by another soccer game on the following Wednesday. Every other weekend has at least the Sunday and/or Monday available (even the Monday after Indy race could be possible), with Friday and Saturday also available for several weekends when there is no soccer game scheduled. There shouldn't be any problem finding available dates evenly spaced throughout the season, and they likely won't be forced to play on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
-Upon further review there are two more weekends probably unavailable, September 17-18 and October 22-23, because of Sunday soccer games, and assuming CFL and TSN would not consider Monday night games at that time of year.
TFC has moved their home game for some reason to a sunday (every other home game on saturday), which means TSN probably wants a Argo game on Thurs or Fri...The soccer games moved to Sundays instead of Saturdays are almost certainly moved because American TV wanted them on a Sunday, and likely has nothing to do with anything TSN wants.

Wobbler
02-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Welcome aboard, SAC! Thanks for your input. I'm not familiar with the field conversion process; is it practical to reconfigure on such short notice?

S.A.C.
02-09-2016, 10:30 PM
... is it practical to reconfigure on such short notice?I assume they can paint the lines and set up the goal posts in a day. I guess there could be some kind of temporary stand or platform on top of the north end zone during the soccer games that would have to removed. But this isn't Rogers Centre that had to reconfigure between baseball and football, so I can't think of anything else that would get in the way.

Neely2005
02-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Definitely not Hamilton. The first game will sell out without any help from Ticats fans; save their visits for a bit later when the novelty has worn off and some sales to Hamilton will help ensure another sellout.

Yeah you're probably right, might actually be best to have our weakest draw for our home opener at BMO Field. I'm not sure who that is but I'm guessing it would be one of Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton or BC.

Not sure everyone is going to like the sked. this season. Because TFC has to play the first two months on the road they are going to play more games at home during the CFL season then normal. Looks like a couple of Wednesdays, couple of Mondays with one being a holiday, I think a Friday and the rest saturdays. I wish they would play Sundays.

Sunday afternoon games would be a great idea, especially if it means more summer games and fewer games in October and November.

Qman
02-09-2016, 11:00 PM
schedule is usually out right after family day, so we will find out next week

R.J
02-12-2016, 02:25 PM
No schedule as of yet (expecting 16th at the earliest), but saw this.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some 2016 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> 🔑 dates:<br><br>Regional CFL Combines - March 7-10<br>National <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLCombine?src=hash">#CFLCombine</a> - March 11-13<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLDraft?src=hash">#CFLDraft</a> - May 10<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLTC?src=hash">#CFLTC</a> Opens - May 29</p>&mdash; CFL (@CFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL/status/698224206593581056">February 12, 2016</a></blockquote>

KCargosfan
02-13-2016, 01:57 AM

Agreed. Opener needs to be against BC, Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg.

ArgoRavi
02-13-2016, 02:25 AM
Agreed. Opener needs to be against BC, Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg.

The Esks haven't visited Toronto in two years and have, in fact, only played four regular season games in Toronto since 2010. Since they are also the defending champions, there would be no better opponent for the Argos' home opener at BMO Field than the Esks.

Argocister
02-13-2016, 08:21 AM
The Esks haven't visited Toronto in two years and have, in fact, only played four regular season games in Toronto since 2010. Since they are also the defending champions, there would be no better opponent for the Argos' home opener at BMO Field than the Esks.

Although, isn't a replay of the Grey Cup .....Esks and the rouge et noir ..... Usually scheduled for the first weekend of the season? Mind you we could get them as an opener the week after .

Only thing that is practically assured is the labour day in the Hammer and probably the follow up game on the 10th of Sept here ...... Hopefully that's possible.

paulwoods13
02-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Although, isn't a replay of the Grey Cup .....Esks and the rouge et noir ..... Usually scheduled for the first weekend of the season? Mind you we could get them as an opener the week after .

Our home opener will likely be Week 1, IMO, i.e. around June 24. We could conceivably play at home the first two wknds in July but they would have to be Sunday games, which may not be ideal (especially on the Cda Day weekend). TFC plays at home on July 2 and July 9 (both Saturdays).

Honestly I don't care who we play first at home, except I think it would be a financial mistake to "waste" a Hamilton visit on a game that should sell out regardless.

Will
02-13-2016, 10:52 AM
I'm kind of hoping that irregardless of the opponent that we shouldn't have to worry about a large contingent of away fans.

AngeloV
02-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Our home opener will likely be Week 1, IMO, i.e. around June 24. We could conceivably play at home the first two wknds in July but they would have to be Sunday games, which may not be ideal (especially on the Cda Day weekend). TFC plays at home on July 2 and July 9 (both Saturdays).

Honestly I don't care who we play first at home, except I think it would be a financial mistake to "waste" a Hamilton visit on a game that should sell out regardless.

I think you're putting too much thought into it Paul. Hamilton would be a great first opponent. What can be better than to have an electric atmosphere for what I'm sure will be many attending their first ever Argos game? That is how you get people interested. It's all about atmosphere. Too me thinking that wasting the first game on Hamilton because they will draw regardless, is short sighted. Argos want to sell out every game. They have stated that to be their goal.

KCargosfan
02-13-2016, 01:55 PM
I think you're putting too much thought into it Paul. Hamilton would be a great first opponent. What can be better than to have an electric atmosphere for what I'm sure will be many attending their first ever Argos game? That is how you get people interested. It's all about atmosphere. Too me thinking that wasting the first game on Hamilton because they will draw regardless, is short sighted. Argos want to sell out every game. They have stated that to be their goal.

But won't the place be jumping anyway the first game, regardless of opponent? I don't know, but I think it would be easier to sell out a game in October in cold weather against Hamilton than BC.

AngeloV
02-13-2016, 02:32 PM
But won't the place be jumping anyway the first game, regardless of opponent? I don't know, but I think it would be easier to sell out a game in October in cold weather against Hamilton than BC.

Again though, the club has a goal to sell out every game. If they are serious about that, it shouldn't matter who comes here on what specific date. I love the thought of the extra excitement the BMO opener will have if the Cats are the first opponent. And let's get serious, it's not that cold in Toronto in October and early November. What are we talking about? 5-10 degrees celcius? That's not exactly terrifying temperatures.

R.J
02-13-2016, 03:02 PM
In terms of adding a bit more excitement; I agree Hamilton would bring that, but IMO the home opener will already be a massive event; so, we don't necessarily need to use that card (Ticats) to start off the new beginning. I think the Ticats would be better utilized at a later date; maybe even the second or third home game.

AngeloV
02-13-2016, 03:21 PM
In terms of adding a bit more excitement; I agree Hamilton would bring that, but IMO the home opener will already be a massive event; so, we don't necessarily need to use that card (Ticats) to start off the new beginning. I think the Ticats would be better utilized at a later date; maybe even the second or third home game.

Well I guess I'm alone on this. I would love to open the season against the Cats.

ArgoRavi
02-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Well I guess I'm alone on this. I would love to open the season against the Cats.

I don't disagree with you, AV. The team has stated that they intend and expect to sell out every home game this year so it really shouldn't matter who the home opener is against. The Ticats will certainly bring that extra "it" factor so I see merit in them being the opening game opponent. Among the western teams, I would say to go with Edmonton for the reasons I stated above.

Neely2005
02-13-2016, 03:28 PM

Yeah but we had a home game against them in Fort McMurray.

ArgoRavi
02-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Yeah but we had a home game against them in Fort McMurray.

And Moncton too.

paulwoods13
02-13-2016, 04:03 PM
I want as many "events" as possible. Games against Hamilton and Sask always have the potential to an "event" because of the large contingent of fans for the other team. Games against Ott and Mtl can also have a good contingent of their fans, and there is the divisional rivalry to amp up the stakes. Games against Edm, Cal, Wpg and BC are never even close to "events" on their own, so IMO we should have one of them for the opener, which Copeland has stated will be like a mini-Grey Cup. I'd rather have four mini-GCs -- the opener, two against Ham and one against Sask -- than three.

argolio
02-13-2016, 05:54 PM
What are we talking about? 5-10 degrees celcius? That's not exactly terrifying temperatures.Imagine a game with today's weather. THAT would be terrifying!

Neely2005
02-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Imagine a game with today's weather. THAT would be terrifying!

2016 Grey Cup?

AngeloV
02-14-2016, 12:19 AM
2016 Grey Cup?

Only if they move it to the praries is there even a remote chance of that in November.

Neely2005
02-14-2016, 01:31 PM
CFL schedule almost ready:

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/football/cfl/cfl-sked-almost-ready-2

Will
02-15-2016, 11:17 AM
That article was from a week ago, and I know several Ottawa fans were told that it might have been released last Thursday, which didn't come to fruition. I think we will get it this week.

Neely2005
02-15-2016, 12:18 PM
That article was from a week ago, and I know several Ottawa fans were told that it might have been released last Thursday, which didn't come to fruition. I think we will get it this week.

I think that we'll get it tomorrow.

KCargosfan
02-16-2016, 03:44 AM
I'm hoping the league tries to avoid divisional matchups the last week (preferably 2) to avoid similar matchups in the semifinals. Hamilton and Ottawa played 3 times in four weeks last year, and imo that is not a good thing.

If I were commish, the last 2 weeks of the season would be mandatory cross-division games.

Scooter McCray
02-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Still no bloody schedule. I would like to plan my summer vacation.

Neely2005
02-16-2016, 06:31 PM
I think that we'll get it tomorrow.

Guess not. So much for the rumours that the schedule was held up by Rogers in the past. It was already out by this time last season.

So a friend of mine told me that TFC Usually plays 0 home games in March and 1 home game in April.

Perhaps this year's Argonauts schedule isn't going to be so different from normal after all.

Brian45
02-16-2016, 08:11 PM
So a friend of mine told me that TFC Usually plays 0 home games in March and 1 home game in April.

Perhaps this year's Argonauts schedule isn't going to be so different from normal after all. you're friend isn't right iirc. In March they may play 1 or 2 home games. April often has several not just 1. This year and last year have been exceptions because of the renovations.

Neely2005
02-16-2016, 10:52 PM
you're friend isn't right iirc. In March they may play 1 or 2 home games. April often has several not just 1. This year and last year have been exceptions because of the renovations.

2015 was construction, first home game was in May.

2014 had 1 home game in March and 1 in April.

2013 had 2 home games in March (1 at Rogers Centre) and 3 in April.

2012 had 3 home games in March (1 Champions League?) and 2 in April.

Argo57
02-17-2016, 07:15 AM
I want as many "events" as possible. Games against Hamilton and Sask always have the potential to an "event" because of the large contingent of fans for the other team. Games against Ott and Mtl can also have a good contingent of their fans, and there is the divisional rivalry to amp up the stakes. Games against Edm, Cal, Wpg and BC are never even close to "events" on their own, so IMO we should have one of them for the opener, which Copeland has stated will be like a mini-Grey Cup. I'd rather have four mini-GCs -- the opener, two against Ham and one against Sask -- than three.

Hopefully this season when Hamilton visits their fans don't have much chance to get tickets in Toronto.
Embarrassing at Skydome when Ticat fans seemed to outnumber Argonaut fans.

Scooter McCray
02-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Hopefully this season when Hamilton visits their fans don't have much chance to get tickets in Toronto.
Embarrassing at Skydome when Ticat fans seemed to outnumber Argonaut fans.. The 2013 EF was embarrassing for Toronto. The crowd was behind Hamilton. This after finishing first despite injuries, a 4 game road trip, and immediately following the 100th GC victory. How the people and media of Toronto could not get behind the Argos will remain a mystery to me.

T-Bone
02-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Can't find 2012.

2012 (http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule?month=2&year=2012&club_options=Home&op=Update&form_build_id=form-XGgIrm2GD6ePVGeW6L-kWC9QPM_b5pT778FCFQ-GLWM&form_id=mp7_schedule_hub_search_filters_form)

EDIT:

2012 had 3 home games in March (1 Champions League?) and 2 in April.
2011–12 CONCACAF Champions League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_CONCACAF_Champions_League)

Neely2005
02-17-2016, 09:36 AM
. The 2013 EF was embarrassing for Toronto. The crowd was behind Hamilton. This after finishing first despite injuries, a 4 game road trip, and immediately following the 100th GC victory. How the people and media of Toronto could not get behind the Argos will remain a mystery to me.

I've heard a couple of people say that but the crowd seemed 60% - 40% in favour of the Argonauts to me.

2012 (http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule?month=2&year=2012&club_options=Home&op=Update&form_build_id=form-XGgIrm2GD6ePVGeW6L-kWC9QPM_b5pT778FCFQ-GLWM&form_id=mp7_schedule_hub_search_filters_form)

Thanks.

Scooter McCray
02-17-2016, 09:40 AM
I've heard a couple of people say that but the crowd seemed 60% - 40% in favour of the Argonauts to me.I was sitting on the visitors side that day. Still 35000 fans 40-50% of whom were Ticat fans was an embarrassment for a defending champion sitting in first place and the favorite to win.

Downtownfan
02-17-2016, 09:57 AM
I was there too and I will agree it was probably just under half Ti-Cats fans, which was frustrating. One of things about that game was that while one side of the 500s was open (limited), they charged pretty high ticket prices, as I recall-- $60?. It contrasted with the 2006 EF (?) against Montreal at home, which had 42000 or something like that, but much if not all of the 500s were priced at $25, hence the bigger crowd.

No one remarked on how Braley basically had a nice bonus in terms of revenue that year from that game. Average ticket price was probably $50 X 35,000 = $1.75 million, at the least. Remember, this is a gravy game for the team, and even subtracting dome rental, etc., he must have done very well on that game, though likely not for the season itself. It was also the last year of the Bills in Toronto fiasco, and I remember thinking that Braley probably made more money than Rogers did.

ArgoRavi
02-17-2016, 10:19 AM
I was there too and I will agree it was probably just under half Ti-Cats fans, which was frustrating. One of things about that game was that while one side of the 500s was open (limited), they charged pretty high ticket prices, as I recall-- $60?. It contrasted with the 2006 EF (?) against Montreal at home, which had 42000 or something like that, but much if not all of the 500s were priced at $25, hence the bigger crowd.

No one remarked on how Braley basically had a nice bonus in terms of revenue that year from that game. Average ticket price was probably $50 X 35,000 = $1.75 million, at the least. Remember, this is a gravy game for the team, and even subtracting dome rental, etc., he must have done very well on that game, though likely not for the season itself. It was also the last year of the Bills in Toronto fiasco, and I remember thinking that Braley probably made more money than Rogers did.

The Bills game drew something like 38k a couple of weeks after and Keith Pelley was bragging on The FAN590 about how they had higher attendance than the EF did. Of course, ol' Keith failed to mention that they had to give away half of their tickets to get to that 38k number while the EF attendance was completely legitimate.

Scooter McCray
02-17-2016, 10:41 AM
The Bills game drew something like 38k a couple of weeks after and Keith Pelley was bragging on The FAN590 about how they had higher attendance than the EF did. Of course, ol' Keith failed to mention that they had to give away half of their tickets to get to that 38k number while the EF attendance was completely legitimate.Keith had at his disposal the 50000 watt blowtorch that was Rogers Super Sportsnet.ca Fan 590 Media Megastorm to promote the Buffalo Jills. I am quite sure they spent very little time on Argo chat. Too bad because he knows what the Argo organization is really like. It would be like Pinball turning his back on the organization. That will never happen.

Neely2005
02-17-2016, 11:01 PM
CFL is "really close" to 2016 schedule release, as pressure on league grows:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/cfl-is--really-close--to-2016-schedule-release--as-pressure-on-league-grows-004020077.html

ArgoGabe22
02-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Is it really a big deal? Does Feb 5 or Feb 25 really make a difference?

Neely2005
02-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Is it really a big deal? Does Feb 5 or Feb 25 really make a difference?

Some people need to book vacation and make plans well in advance.

Also this would be a good time as it’s between the super bowl and the NHL trade deadline.

Having a schedule probably helps to sell tickets too.

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Some people need to book vacation and make plans well in advance.

Also this would be a good time as it’s between the super bowl and the NHL trade deadline.

Having a schedule probably helps to sell tickets too.

Yes to all of those points. It is a big deal.

Neely2005
02-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Hopefully it comes out today, it would be a shame for it to come out on a Friday and get lost in the week-end rush.

Downtownfan
02-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Yesterday would have been good as it was a very slow day in sports, with only 3 NHL games, so the schedule would have grabbed more attention. Today, there are 11 NHL games and 3 NBA games.

Neely2005
02-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Yesterday would have been good as it was a very slow day in sports, with only 3 NHL games, so the schedule would have grabbed more attention. Today, there are 11 NHL games and 3 NBA games.

The NBA trade deadline is today too.
:(

ArgoRedneck
02-18-2016, 10:00 AM
With "February 22-26: Exclusive pre-sale" assuming that is for current season ticket holders to pick 1st on single game tickets we should see schedule today or tomorrow at the latest.

Downtownfan
02-18-2016, 10:39 AM
With "February 22-26: Exclusive pre-sale" assuming that is for current season ticket holders to pick 1st on single game tickets we should see schedule today or tomorrow at the latest.

I thought that was for MLSE's other STHs, as in Leafs, Raptors, TFC (!), or corporate accounts?

Qman
02-18-2016, 11:26 AM
The NBA trade deadline is today too.
:(

no one cares about the nba trade deadline in canada ... its a non-event

Neely2005
02-18-2016, 12:01 PM
no one cares about the nba trade deadline in canada ... its a non-event

Unless the Raptors make a trade, then it will dominate the Toronto based media.

Hopefully they're not delaying releasing the schedule because they think that it will hurt the Argonauts ticket selling due to it being a back loaded schedule for the Argonauts yet again.

hugoagogo
02-18-2016, 12:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If you needed something to spice up the NBA trade deadline, sounds like the CFL schedule is being released in an hour or so, so GET READY</p>&mdash; Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) <a href="https://twitter.com/bruce_arthur/status/700365458411798529">February 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

Neely2005
02-18-2016, 12:40 PM
^ Finally!

eiben35
02-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Some thing is happening at BMO on Thursday, June 23rd. Oske We we

Neely2005
02-18-2016, 12:57 PM
@CFL: Made of Countdowns.

The 2016 #CFL Schedule has landed! ➡ https://t.co/P5iG9aRD4t

#IsItJuneYet? https://t.co/Xjk8Icq29F

https://twitter.com/CFL/status/700377353155973121

Downtownfan
02-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Schedule is up: http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/#

Disappointing. Two Wednesdays, two Mondays, a Thursday. Ugh.

GabrielHurl
02-18-2016, 01:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dg61o8Q.png

AngeloV
02-18-2016, 01:19 PM
I'm OK with this schedule. I realize there are a lot of weeknight games, but to those worried about a back loaded home sked, didn't happen. only 2 games after Sep 11 at home, so the majority will be warm weather home dates.

My only complaint is that once again the Argos are the only team with 2 games scheduled in the same week of games...Aug 31 at home and LD at Hamilton. Thus, they also get 3 bye weeks.

AND....I got my wish. Home opener against the Tabbies. Since the game is likely to sell out anyway, it also means less undesirables in the stadium. LOL!!!

Mightygoose
02-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Honestly, I was hoping someone other than Hamilton for the opener since that should be a sellout anyways.

I wonder what is the rationale with the 2 Wednesdays and the non holiday Monday. If it has to do with the condensed TFC schedule then it should be better in 2017. At least they are in the summer and they can really target families on those dates.

Overall, I'm ready to book some time off work!

Neely2005
02-18-2016, 01:46 PM
Schedule is up: http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/#

Disappointing. Two Wednesdays, two Mondays, a Thursday. Ugh.

Oh well I'd rather have weekday and summer as opposed to weekend and fall.

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Could have been worse, I guess. We will need to have a strong first two-thirds of the season as we play five of our last seven on the road (opposite of recent years). We get two brutal stretches: five games in 28 days between Aug. 31 and Sept. 23, and three in 11 days between Oct. 10 and 21. Two of our "bye" weeks are shorter than they should be: 12 days off and 11 days off. Ideally teams would have 13-14 so guys could get away for a full week and still get in a full week of practice. The Monday game in July is mildly annoying but the Wednesday games aren't the end of the world. Three 10 p.m. starts on the road (two of them weeknights) sucks from a TV-watching standpoint. We end with our last four against the west. All things considered it is not as terrible as it might have been.

BATKINSON001
02-18-2016, 01:54 PM
I'll take it. It's better than other years have been. Hopefully I will make all the games, depending on what job i end up getting... Right now only planning on April 3 (Iron Maiden) and the Argos home opener and Aug 29 (Black Sabbath) as absolutely must have dates off.

Ron
02-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Hamilton was a good pick. While the game will be sold out anyway the Cats offer the biggest buzz potential ... and the best atmosphere for all the new fans to witness.

Kick off the new Argos by reminding everyone who the biggest rival is ... and why.

ArgoGabe22
02-18-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm ok with the one Thursday night as it seems to be now apart of the TSN schedule in the last year or so but the Wednesday nights seem very odd.

AngeloV
02-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Ideally teams would have 13-14 so guys could get away for a full week and still get in a full week of practice.

I don't know how important that is Paul. Teams practice weeks now only start 4 days prior to game day, with 3 full practices and a day before game walk through. This will still allow for a full week off prior to returning to practice.

Hamilton was a good pick. While the game will be sold out anyway the Cats offer the biggest buzz potential ... and the best atmosphere for all the new fans to witness.

Kick off the new Argos by reminding everyone who the biggest rival is ... and why.

That's the same feeling I had, and why I was hoping they would kick off the season this way.

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 02:04 PM
For the record, my predictions from a few wks ago (based on TFC schedule) were somewhat close but missed big-time in a few spots.

This is what I said, with notes added now:

IMO this means our schedule will include 10 of these dates (roughly):

June 11 preseason -- correct
June 25 opener -- we got June 23 (same week but mid-week, not weekend)
July 16 -- we got July 13 (same week but mid-week, not weekend)
July 30 -- we got July 25 (previous weekend)
Aug. 13 -- we got Aug. 12
Aug. 20 -- correct, but we also got Aug. 31 which I certainly did not foresee
Sept. 10 -- we got Sept. 11
Oct. 2 -- nope
Oct. 8-9 -- we got Oct. 10
Oct. 15-16 -- we got Oct. 15
Oct. 29-30 -- nope
Nov. 6 -- nope

R.J
02-18-2016, 02:05 PM
I was expecting/hoping for a better schedule than that; at worst I was expecting a back loaded schedule, and I honestly thought we'd be done with the weekday games (Thursday an exception now, due to TSN trying for Thursday Night Football).

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 02:07 PM
I don't know how important that is Paul. Teams practice weeks now only start 4 days prior to game day, with 3 full practices and a day before game walk through. This will still allow for a full week off prior to returning to practice.

Yes, but it still means a shorter break for the players than some teams are getting, I assume. Not so much of an issue prep-wise but it means guys get less time away than ideal. Offset, I guess, by the fact that we have a third bye and it's a long break right near the end of the season.

ArgoGabe22
02-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Aug. 20 -- correct, but we also got Aug. 31 which I certainly did not foresee

I forgot who mentioned it but it looks like there will be a game during the EX and I surely think that's why it's on the 31st. Something you may have overlooked if your prediction.

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Tons of glitches in the full schedule posted at cfl.ca -- multiple games repeated, sometimes three or four times.

Rich
02-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Wednesday July 13 is a great date because it's the quietest sports day of the year, the day after the MLB all-star game. Argos/Redblacks will have the sports media to themselves. The CFL should have been regularly scheduling games on this day, maybe it's finally on the ball on this.

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Wednesday July 13 is a great date because it's the quietest sports day of the year, the day after the MLB all-star game. Argos/Redblacks will have the sports media to themselves. The CFL should have been regularly scheduling games on this day, maybe it's finally on the ball on this.

Great point.

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 02:21 PM
For the hell of it, this is how our home sked compares to Blue Jays:

June 23 -- they are off
July 13 -- all-star break
July 25 -- they are home
Aug 12 -- they are home
Aug. 20 -- they are on the road
Aug 31 -- they are on the road
Sept 11 -- they are home
Oct 10 -- MLB postseason
Oct 15 -- MLB postseason

hugoagogo
02-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Argos have 3 games in 12 days through the Labour Day stretch. That's gonna hurt.

argolio
02-18-2016, 02:59 PM
My way-too-fussy complaints: not a fan of the Monday game in July. I also don't like having 6 home games before Labour Day and 3 after (should either be 5/4 or 4/5). A 2016 home playoff game would really help balance things out.

Apparently the CNE runs from August 19 to September 5, so that makes two home games during the Ex.

KCargosfan
02-18-2016, 02:59 PM

Ah. Ok, that makes sense now. And fully agree with your point.

AngeloV
02-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Apparently the CNE runs from August 19 to September 5, so that makes two home games during the Ex.

Love that. In the 80's the game during the EX was always my favourite.

Qman
02-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Love that. In the 80's the game during the EX was always my favourite.

FYI: the only games TFC even comes close to filling BMO is their games during the EX, rest of the games its half full.
Should be popular games for argos

My way-too-fussy complaints: not a fan of the Monday game in July. I also don't like having 6 home games before Labour Day and 3 after (should either be 5/4 or 4/5). A 2016 home playoff game would really help balance things out.

I think the argos want to ease into the fall games, given how bad the weather can get down by the ex in the fall.

can one of the mods merge the 2 schedule threads together

S.A.C.
02-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Did they specify where the June 11 pre-season game is?

Qman
02-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Did they specify where the June 11 pre-season game is?

bmo

ArgoRavi
02-18-2016, 06:11 PM

Mark Hebscher has been whining about this for years. It is too bad that he was just laid off from CHCH or we could hear him applaud this move.

timlb01
02-18-2016, 06:53 PM
The Argos always had a game the day the CNE opened up, which was always a Wednesday. Two games during the CNE is great. It will just add to the atmosphere. I love the return of this!

R.J
02-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Mark Hebscher has been whining about this for years. It is too bad that he was just laid off from CHCH or we could hear him applaud this move.
Sid Seixeiro has been very vocal about this the last few years as well.

argotom
02-18-2016, 08:22 PM
I guess it's ok, but could have been better.
I know we were working with bits and pieces of dates available, however I would have thought the same day of the week or a "regular" could have been used at least for 5 games?

Gill The Thrill
02-20-2016, 02:38 AM
There was one in High Park a while back so you never know.

No worries about a growth of alligators in this climate, had it not been captured and acclimatized back to it's natural environment, that would've turned into a stiff pair of shoes by late fall, let alone winter.

gilthethrill
02-21-2016, 08:56 PM
I just noticed the Argo-Cats Labour Day game is at 630....according to a Tweet on the Bombers section of 3Down Nation, the playoff games with the exception of the GC are on Saturdays this hear as well. Not sure of the logic behind either of these moves.

T-Bone
02-21-2016, 10:20 PM
according to a Tweet on the Bombers section of 3Down Nation, the playoff games with the exception of the GC are on Saturdays this hear as well. Not sure of the logic behind either of these moves.
According to CFL.ca (http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/) that's not the case.

Neely2005
02-21-2016, 10:37 PM
I just noticed the Argo-Cats Labour Day game is at 630....according to a Tweet on the Bombers section of 3Down Nation, the playoff games with the exception of the GC are on Saturdays this hear as well. Not sure of the logic behind either of these moves.

Apparently they want the Labour Day game in prime time.

All of the playoff games are on Sundays:

www.cfl.ca/schedule

Qman
02-21-2016, 11:51 PM

that bomber guy was wrong ... he got ripped to shreds on twitter

LDG is going back to primetime ... it was this way when the games were on CBC .. its to maximize ratings

Ron
02-22-2016, 12:06 AM
LDC at 6:30 = massively drunk fans.

Wonder what the under/over for fans on the field will be?

argolio
02-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Wonder what the under/over for fans on the field will be?13.5 teeth

Will
02-23-2016, 08:02 AM

TSN must've pushed really hard for this. I know that the Tiger-Cats don't like that late a start on Labour Day.

Tobythor
02-24-2016, 03:27 PM

I was at the game a few years back when the game started at 7pm. The Argos were winning in a romp and it turned into a S*** show. There was a brawl behind the general admission seats in the end zone, countless fights in the stands, and numerous drunks running on the field. I remember all the Ti-Cat fans complaining about the late start and the drunken nausence was expected due to the extended pre drink.

KCargosfan
02-25-2016, 03:10 AM
I was at the game a few years back when the game started at 7pm. The Argos were winning in a romp and it turned into a S*** show. There was a brawl behind the general admission seats in the end zone, countless fights in the stands, and numerous drunks running on the field. I remember all the Ti-Cat fans complaining about the late start and the drunken nausence was expected due to the extended pre drink.

Damn. Is Hamilton one of the white trash capitals of the world?

Will
02-25-2016, 08:38 AM

I think one of the things that the lower capacity at Tim Hortons Field was meant to accomplish was to prevent the Ticat fan who only shows up Labour Day to get drunk and generally start shit whether with Argo fans or fellow Ticat fans. We'll see if that worked.

AngeloV
02-25-2016, 12:27 PM

Like any city, parts of it are. It just seems like it is more common there.

Gill The Thrill
02-25-2016, 07:44 PM

Funny you used that terminology, I remember one Ticat fan resembling Bubba O'Neill just reaming me out for wearing an Argo hat in the stands during a Labour Day game. It was during halftime, and considering that he was wearing a full Ticat Jersey, including the yellow pants, I wondered why he wasn't in the locker room with the rest of the O-line, he was just as big.

ArgoFan1
02-25-2016, 10:24 PM
TSN must've pushed really hard for this. I know that the Tiger-Cats don't like that late a start on Labour Day.

Not TSN. It is ESPN that wants to televise it at prime time in the US

paulwoods13
02-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Not TSN. It is ESPN that wants to televise it at prime time in the US

I imagine TSN is quite happy to have one of the games in prime time, actually. if the weather is nice, Canadians don't want to spend the last day of summer inside watching TV.

Scooter McCray
02-26-2016, 09:28 AM
I always preferred the evening game. Much better atmosphere. Better TV audience for the reason Paul mentioned. CFL gets the jump on NFL for generating fall football interest with its greatest rivalry.

ArgoRavi
02-26-2016, 11:32 PM
I always preferred the evening game. Much better atmosphere. Better TV audience for the reason Paul mentioned. CFL gets the jump on NFL for generating fall football interest with its greatest rivalry.

Labour Day games always pull sold ratings but IIRC the highest ratings in recent years have been when the Argos and Ticats have played on the Monday night. They did so in 2004 (a thrilling OT game), 2005, 2006 and 2008 and I recall the '04 and '08 games, in particular, doing very, very well. Out of those four games, only the '06 game was a blowout but Damon Allen reached a major milestone in that one.

argos1873
02-27-2016, 12:19 AM
Funny you used that terminology, I remember one Ticat fan resembling Bubba O'Neill just reaming me out for wearing an Argo hat in the stands during a Labour Day game. It was during halftime, and considering that he was wearing a full Ticat Jersey, including the yellow pants, I wondered why he wasn't in the locker room with the rest of the O-line, he was just as big.

Back in the 90's when leaving a Labour Day game with my buddies on our walk back to our car, on a day that Hamilton smelt extra rank due to the steel mills, I said to my friends, I guess a little loud, partly joking, partly serious "How do we get out of this godforsaken burgh!". I suddenly had a guy like you describe looking down at me saying "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!"...I can't remember what I said to get out of that situation, but I looked around and my "friends" were no where to be seen! Man, what a tough place. But if we were to judge which place was the "white trash" capital of the world I would like to offer Oshawa up, which is Argo territory, but man that place has some doozies.

Will
02-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Back in the 90's when leaving a Labour Day game with my buddies on our walk back to our car, on a day that Hamilton smelt extra rank due to the steel mills, I said to my friends, I guess a little loud, partly joking, partly serious "How do we get out of this godforsaken burgh!". I suddenly had a guy like you describe looking down at me saying "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!"...I can't remember what I said to get out of that situation, but I looked around and my "friends" were no where to be seen! Man, what a tough place. But if we were to judge which place was the "white trash" capital of the world I would like to offer Oshawa up, which is Argo territory, but man that place has some doozies.

I noticed a couple of "doozies" at Fan Day last year, but I don't know if they were from Oshawa.

Golden Fleece
02-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Oshawa gets a bad rap, but that's also what makes it an affordable community to live in. I'll continue to enjoy my mortgage free existence here. Lot of nice neighbourhoods.

Gill The Thrill
02-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Oshawa gets a bad rap, but that's also what makes it an affordable community to live in. I'll continue to enjoy my mortgage free existence here. Lot of nice neighbourhoods.Some of the posts on this thread are a real double standard, do you know if we labelled any other undesirable town, cities, or neighborhoods based on the combination of attitude, complexion and physical appearance of the people who live there, you wouldn't hear the end of it...Interesting. Now, it's time to leave my computer, pick up my banjo and go possum hunting.:Dkidding.

AngeloV
02-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Now, it's time to leave my computer, pick up my banjo and go possum hunting.:Dkidding.

But are you really kidding? The plot..it thickens.

Double Dare
02-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Scarborough, Ajax, Pickering, Oshawa = the armpit of Ontario. I feel sorry for Whitby.

Argo57
02-27-2016, 08:47 PM

That's nothing buddy, I saw this guy in Oakville order Red Wine with his seared pickerel dish, I figured the low class asshole must have been from Burlington✌️

7dj83r8f78t4alf8