PDA

View Full Version : Drew Tate Resigns with Calgary

jerrym
01-09-2016, 10:59 PM
Tate's signing with Calgary typifies the depth they seem to have at nearly every position year after year.

Quarterback Drew Tate has signed a contract extension with the Calgary Stampeders (http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/teams/calgary-stampeders/).
The 31-year-old from Baytown, Texas, returns for an eighth season with the CFL club.
Tate was the heir apparent to Calgary’s starting job when the club dealt veteran Henry Burris to Hamilton in 2012, but multiple injuries limited Tate to just 153 completions over the next two seasons.
He was Bo Levi Mitchell’s backup in both 2014 and 2015. Tate started the last regular-season game in 2015, completing 18-of-22 passes for 231 yards and two touchdowns in a 28-7 win over the B.C. Lions.
Tate has often been used in short-yardage situations and scored a league-high 10 rushing TDs in 2014.
The six-foot-one, 191-pound Tate has a career 66.7 completion percentage for 4,415 yards and 32 touchdowns. He's also rushed for 609 yards and 24 TDs.
"Quality and depth at the quarterback position is very important in the CFL and Drew is a big part of that for us," Stampeder GM John Hunfagel said in a statement.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/drew-tate-gets-contract-extension-from-stampeders/

ArgoGabe22
01-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Best job in football. Little reps and larger than average salary.

R.J
01-10-2016, 09:10 PM
The Glenn Healy of the CFL lol.
Tate must really not care about being a starter in the CFL. Personally I think he could easily be a starter, while doesn't have the arm of BLM, but IMO he's the better all round QB. However, in saying that, he's a bit of a head case and I've read that when he did start, Dickenson had to take Tate aside to help calm him down prior to the game, something along those lines.

argolio
01-10-2016, 11:51 PM
The Glenn Healy of the CFL lol.Tate is a better QB than Healy was a goalie.

jerrym
01-11-2016, 07:24 AM
The Glenn Healy of the CFL lol.
However, in saying that, he's a bit of a head case and I've read that when he did start, Dickenson had to take Tate aside to help calm him down prior to the game, something along those lines.

I've seem evidence of that on the field too over the years when his intensity became a liability rather than a plus.

R.J
01-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Tate is a better QB than Healy was a goalie.
I realize this hence why I brought up how Tate could be a starter in the CFL and even brought up how I felt he was a better QB than BLM. My comment in terms of comparing him to Healy, came from the fact that both were/are comfortable being the back-up, getting paid a lot of money to ride the pine. Healy has mentioned live on air that he loved what he did, because he rarely had to play and got paid for it. When Tate signed his contract prior to this one, he mentioned that he signed the deal because Calgary gave him a higher base, which meant he got paid more (not including incentives) to be a back up and seemed happy about it.

timlb01
01-11-2016, 04:52 PM
I realize this hence why I brought up how Tate could be a starter in the CFL and even brought up how I felt he was a better QB than BLM. My comment in terms of comparing him to Healy, came from the fact that both were/are comfortable being the back-up, getting paid a lot of money to ride the pine. Healy has mentioned live on air that he loved what he did, because he rarely had to play and got paid for it. When Tate signed his contract prior to this one, he mentioned that he signed the deal because Calgary gave him a higher base, which meant he got paid more (not including incentives) to be a back up and seemed happy about it.

And how amazing is this if you are a Stamps fan! Every team wishes they could find a situation like this. Harris does not want to be a back up but I think he will be next year for us. It reminds me a bit of Jason Mass and Ricky in Edmonton... although I think Calgary is stronger and a better organization than Edmonton was back then.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8