View Full Version : Chick and Dressler released by Wheaties

ArgoGabe22
01-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Both Chick and Dressler got released by the Jones Empire.

If we can't lock up Tristan O then I'd be calling Chick's agent right now.

Scooter McCray
01-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Both Chick and Dressler got released by the Jones Empire.

If we can't lock up Tristan O then I'd be calling Chick's agent right now.

John Chick is one of the most feared D-Linemen in the country. He will be welcomed by any of the other teams. I wonder how Rider nation is handling this. Both players are beloved in the community.

gilthethrill
01-14-2016, 06:23 PM
It should be mentioned that while Chick is now available, Shawn Lemon who was released by Ottawa to pursue the NFL, is not....he was signed by the Riders and most likely will replace Chick.

ArgoRavi
01-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Is Chick on the downward side of his career? I didn't think he played as well for much of last season and he is not getting any younger. I can understand Jones' decision to let him go. Dressler, on the other hand, has a fair bit of mileage left IMO but receiver is hardly an area of need for the Argos.

Neely2005
01-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Well I didn't see that coming.

Fumblitis
01-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Both of them are salary dumps. Both of them saved the Riders $500000. I think John has a year or two left in the tank. A Foley/Chick combo may be good for the Argos. Both guys are fitness freaks.

OV Argo
01-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Both of them are salary dumps. Both of them saved the Riders $500000. I think John has a year or two left in the tank. A Foley/Chick combo may be good for the Argos. Both guys are fitness freaks.

Salary dump; but also ego-head GM/HC know-it-all thumbing his nose at the past regime - cutting 2 of the best players on the team (both hardly over the hill) and saying I can easily find better (note to Jones - Mo Price & over-rated Lemon are not as close to as good as either guy you just cut). Easily defendable moves though with $M$ excuse. A lot of Riderfans in love with Jones as some sort of super-hero football gawd - we shall see.

OV Argo
01-14-2016, 07:16 PM

Love to see the Argos sign both Chick & Dressler; highly doubt it; not Barker\s style + high price tags

Argo57
01-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Love to see the Argos sign both Chick & Dressler; highly doubt it; not Barker\s style + high price tags

Agreed OV, Dressler is a quick-sure handed receiver that would fit in very nicely in the Argonaut system while Chick's record speaks for itself but I suspect this is simply wishful thinking on our part.

AngeloV
01-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Chick was horrible last season. He padded his numbers late in the season, when the games truly meant nothing. I can't blame Jones for cutting him, especially considering the salary he was making.

Argo57
01-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Lots of rumours circulating regarding where Chick and Dressler sign.
For what it's worth Rod Pederson sources speculating Montreal and the Argonauts in play for Dressler, Hamilton interested in Chick.
Like both guys at the right price only, would be surprised to see Barker end up with either one, someone will overpay for both based on past performance alone.

R.J
01-14-2016, 09:44 PM
Cap moves for sure, $500k for two players is a lot of money. I'd take Dressler in a heartbeat for the right price. I wonder if Durant has been put on notice as well pay cut or see yeah!

The Chick release makes even more sense with the Riders signing Lemon for $175k plus incentives.

Wobbler
01-14-2016, 10:24 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As of today, Weston Dressler has interest from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Toronto Argos and Montreal Alouettes, per sources. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Scott Mitchell (@SUNMitchell) <a href="https://twitter.com/SUNMitchell/status/687798403569463296">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;d be surprised if the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> didn&#39;t kick John Chick&#39;s tires... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Don Landry (@CFLLandry) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFLLandry/status/687801245495619584">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

R.J
01-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Blue Bombers could use Dressler the most (and would probably overpay) and Winnipeg's a lot closer to his hometown Bismark than either Toronto or Montreal, but I'd still love to see Dressler in double blue. Ticats could take a look at Chick according to Pederson.

Fumblitis
01-14-2016, 10:34 PM
Cap moves for sure, $500k for two players is a lot of money. I'd take Dressler in a heartbeat for the right price. I wonder if Durant has been put on notice as well pay cut or see yeah!

The Chick release makes even more sense with the Riders signing Lemon for $175k plus incentives.There was some speculation about restructuring Durant's contract on 980 CJME tonight. The Rider have a bit more leverage with this one because Durant hasn't played in two years and is a big question mark.

Fumblitis
01-14-2016, 10:36 PM
Blue Bombers could use Dressler the most (and would probably overpay) and Winnipeg's a lot closer to his hometown Bismark than either Toronto or Montreal, but I'd still love to see Dressler in double blue. Ticats could take a look at Chick according to Pederson.I think both players have a little left in the tank but I'm thinking he's a Bomber by late next week. The Argos aren't really hurting at receiver.

Fumblitis
01-14-2016, 10:39 PM
John Chick is one of the most feared D-Linemen in the country. He will be welcomed by any of the other teams. I wonder how Rider nation is handling this. Both players are beloved in the community.There's a lot of mixed feelings out here. But winning will cure that.

OV Argo
01-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Blue Bombers could use Dressler the most (and would probably overpay) and Winnipeg's a lot closer to his hometown Bismark than either Toronto or Montreal, but I'd still love to see Dressler in double blue. Ticats could take a look at Chick according to Pederson.

Bombers should grab both guys and pay well IMO - who do they have as high-priced stars? - that over-rated stone hands receiver (name escapes me now) they paid big bucks for from BC - Dressler is 10x better than anything they have at receiver; and Chick and Westerman as book-ends at DE would be league best - by far - IMO.

The Ticats have Norwood & Hickman at DE and they're both good (though not as good as Chick IMO, who plays the run very well, is a proven pass rusher and even has the size to slide inside to line-up at DT some); doubt they will pay large for Chick.

OV Argo
01-14-2016, 10:49 PM
There's a lot of mixed feelings out here. But winning will cure that.

I see a lot of defending the move with $M$ the big excuse; defend the new Jones fort at Riderfans at all costs.

Neely2005
01-15-2016, 12:03 AM
Jones said in a release. “We spoke with each player and their respective agents at length in an attempt to negotiate more cap friendly contracts but unfortunately could not reach satisfactory agreements.”

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/01/14/riders-release-dressler-chick/

jerrym
01-15-2016, 02:16 AM
Is Chick on the downward side of his career? I didn't think he played as well for much of last season and he is not getting any younger. I can understand Jones' decision to let him go. Dressler, on the other hand, has a fair bit of mileage left IMO but receiver is hardly an area of need for the Argos.

I love both Chick and Dressler. However, Chick is 33 and I feel like you that Chick is starting the downward slide. I don't see the Argos having any interest in Dressler either with their depth in receiver (Hazelton, Elliott, Gurley, Coombs, Owens, Spencer and possibly Gallon) who are all younger and cheaper (except Owens).

Will
01-15-2016, 09:55 AM
I'd be reluctant to sign Chick at his age especially given that one of our other DE's is also in his thirties.

The Argos are being mentioned as a potential destination for Dressler notwithstanding the current receiving corps.

R.J
01-15-2016, 12:16 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL">@cfl</a> sources, <a href="https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers">@Wpg_BlueBombers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Ticats">@Ticats</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/MTLAlouettes">@MTLAlouettes</a> have all inquired about John Chick</p>&mdash; gary lawless (@garylawless) <a href="https://twitter.com/garylawless/status/688038983012618246">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OV Argo
01-15-2016, 12:20 PM
I love both Chick and Dressler. However, Chick is 33 and I feel like you that Chick is starting the downward slide. I don't seeing the Argos having any interest in Dressler either with their depth in receiver (Hazelton, Elliott, Gurley, Coombs, Owens, Spencer and possibly Gallon) who are all younger and cheaper (except Owens).

Dressler has 5 x one thousand yard CFL receiving seasons on his resume and he's only 30; much as i was impressed (at times) by the new and so called big 3 of last season, none of them is IMO even close to Dressler in all-around receiver skills (hands, route running, YAC ability); they are all bigger though, if that's what floats your receiver scouting boat, and a lot of us were calling for more size in the receiving corps. And the Argos already have a smaller, and expensive receiver in Owens, so I guess no need to contemplate signing the guy with the 5 x 1000 yd. seasons.

R.J
01-15-2016, 12:33 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/dressler-statement-released-1.3405546

Antwon
01-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Dressler has 5 x one thousand yard CFL receiving seasons on his resume and he's only 30; much as i was impressed (at times) by the new and so called big 3 of last season, none of them is IMO even close to Dressler in all-around receiver skills (hands, route running, YAC ability); they are all bigger though, if that's what floats your receiver scouting boat, and a lot of us were calling for more size in the receiving corps. And the Argos already have a smaller, and expensive receiver in Owens, so I guess no need to contemplate signing the guy with the 5 x 1000 yd. seasons.

I believe if they signed Dressler it would be at Owens expense.

Neely2005
01-15-2016, 10:27 PM
Weston Dressler Pens Letter To Rider Nation:

http://www.thesnap.ca/weston-dressler-pens-letter-to-rider-nation/

jerrym
01-17-2016, 01:08 AM
Dressler's classy letter is typical of a classy guy on and off the field.

jerrym
01-17-2016, 01:22 AM

I think Dressler is one of the best receivers in the league. However, after all the problems that the Argos had last year I don't think they are going to cut a fan favourite like Owens as they try to rebuild the franchise attendance this year. Furthermore, with a good set of receivers, even if none of the new ones are at Dressler's level, I don't think Barker is going to pursue him as a free agent, especially when Barker rarely wants to pay the big bucks needed to sign one. If Barker does go after any free agent, I suspect it will be at a different position where the Argos have less depth.

Argo57
01-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Regarding Owens I agree this may not be the year to let him go but successful franchises know when sentimentality can impede winning.
I think Chad has another year or perhaps two to play at a high level but Dressler would be an improvement over any of the "big three" and should be seriously looked at by the Argonauts.

1argoholic
01-17-2016, 12:31 PM
I'd like to see Calgary sign him so he can go in and burn his old team with a hated rival.

AngeloV
01-17-2016, 01:02 PM
I'd like to see Calgary sign him so he can go in and burn his old team with a hated rival.

That is why I say he signs with Winnipeg. Who better than the Riders biggest rival would he want to sign with in order to burn the team that released him?

R.J
01-17-2016, 02:14 PM
That is why I say he signs with Winnipeg. Who better than the Riders biggest rival would he want to sign with in order to burn the team that released him?
Winnipeg makes the most amount of sense to me, but I'd still like to see him in double blue, especially at the risk of losing Owens.

OV Argo
01-17-2016, 02:16 PM

Agreed; and I think it would be smart for the Bummers to grab both Dressler & Chick as a package - 2 vet top notch players who have won a GC recently - maybe help show that Bummers team how to win, and both would be upgrades or big help (Dressler would be their best receiver by far, and Chick/Westerman would be a great book-end duo at DE), IF i was the Bummers, I throw big money at both, and I wonder if the 2 would be more inclined to go there if it's together ?

LOVE to see Dressler & Chick as big forces for the Bummers to stomp the Ego-head Jones Green Riders in the back-to-back Labour/Banjo games !!!

doubleblue
01-18-2016, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Winnipeg get both of them to help balance the talent up out west. Dressler might be looking at going to a team with a good QB though. So I wouldn't count out Edmonton or Calgary.

AngeloV
01-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Agreed; and I think it would be smart for the Bummers to grab both Dressler & Chick as a package - 2 vet top notch players who have won a GC recently - maybe help show that Bummers team how to win, and both would be upgrades or big help (Dressler would be their best receiver by far, and Chick/Westerman would be a great book-end duo at DE), IF i was the Bummers, I throw big money at both, and I wonder if the 2 would be more inclined to go there if it's together ?

LOVE to see Dressler & Chick as big forces for the Bummers to stomp the Ego-head Jones Green Riders in the back-to-back Labour/Banjo games !!!

See OV, we can agree on some things.

I think Dressler is a great player, and it would look really good if he dominated the LD classic and Banjo Bowl. I just honestly think Chick is done. I would be willing to sign him for maybe 100k, but no more than that if I was a GM in the league.

Argo
01-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Ooo-wee! She'd be like-a them banjoes from Deliverance in-a tape loop... an' them Riders'd be squealing like a sow!

jerrym
01-20-2016, 10:44 PM
TSN‘s Gary Lawless and the Winnipeg Sun‘s Kirk Penton both report the team is close to signing star receiver Weston Dressler.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/01/20/bombers-weston-dressler/

OV Argo
01-21-2016, 12:55 AM
http://www.cfl.ca/2016/01/20/bombers-weston-dressler (http://www.cfl.ca/2016/01/20/bombers-weston-dressler/)

PLEASE - make it happen there - for both him & Chick - and then they go on to help clobber the EgoJones Riders when they play them !

Wobbler
01-21-2016, 01:50 AM
Ooo-wee! She'd be like-a them banjoes from Deliverance in-a tape loop... an' them Riders'd be squealing like a sow!
Toronto isn't always fondly regarded by Canadians living elsewhere. For some reason they don't realize how reasonable GTA residents actually are.

KCargosfan
01-21-2016, 03:17 AM
Chick = over the hill.

Double Dare
01-21-2016, 08:17 AM
Toronto isn't always fondly regarded by Canadians living elsewhere. For some reason they don't realize how reasonable GTA residents actually are. I lived in downtown T.O. for 25 years (came from Montreal via small town Ontario), and what you say is a joke. I don't live in T.O. any more ... nice place to visit wouldn't want to live there!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8