PDA

View Full Version : A friendly reminder

Will
01-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Circumstances over this site’s ten-year history have meant that the majority of us are die-hard fans. With new ownership and a new stadium, the goal is to hopefully turn casual fans into die-hards and also introduce some casual fans to the league. Granted that is a job for Sara Moore and her team, but in spite of this site’s unofficial status, I do believe that all of us can have a role to play in this renaissance.

I know it's January and the lack of CFL football can be frustrating, but the tensions between members on this site that have become prevalent in the last month will not help with the task I discussed in the previous paragraph. I’d simply ask everyone to think what a prospective member of this site thinks when he or she sees multiple threads descend into flame wars between members. It isn’t going to give off the greatest reputation for Argo fans is it? I’m not asking you to hold hands and sing Kumbayah, but I am asking you to consider whether a point of contention is worth picking a fight over. If things deteriorate to the point where you cannot tolerate someone then simply use the Ignore button.

​Thanks from the moderators and myself.

jerrym
01-17-2016, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the reminder.

matthew
01-20-2016, 08:42 PM
I stopped posting for this very reason.

Circumstances over this site’s ten-year history have meant that the majority of us are die-hard fans. With new ownership and a new stadium, the goal is to hopefully turn casual fans into die-hards and also introduce some casual fans to the league. Granted that is a job for Sara Moore and her team, but in spite of this site’s unofficial status, I do believe that all of us can have a role to play in this renaissance.

I know it's January and the lack of CFL football can be frustrating, but the tensions between members on this site that have become prevalent in the last month will not help with the task I discussed in the previous paragraph. I’d simply ask everyone to think what a prospective member of this site thinks when he or she sees multiple threads descend into flame wars between members. It isn’t going to give off the greatest reputation for Argo fans is it? I’m not asking you to hold hands and sing Kumbayah, but I am asking you to consider whether a point of contention is worth picking a fight over. If things deteriorate to the point where you cannot tolerate someone then simply use the Ignore button.

​Thanks from the moderators and myself.

Will
08-05-2016, 07:39 PM
This kinda needs a bit of a bump.

DoubleBlue_Red
08-06-2016, 03:28 AM
Can you convert me from a TFC fan back to an Argo fan?

1argoholic
08-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Well DoubleBlue_Red your name should say it all. You look to be a fan of both. I only have issues with TFC fans who just rip the Argos for no reason. Just Hate!

The city is big enough that every team should have solid fan bases but it's also a very fickle area with a strange fan base. It's so divided from team to team. In most other cities sports fans hope great things for each of the cities teams. I blame the media over the years for creating much of this.

PullTogether73
08-06-2016, 12:30 PM
The city is big enough that every team should have solid fan bases but it's also a very fickle area with a strange fan base. It's so divided from team to team. In most other cities sports fans hope great things for each of the cities teams. I blame the media over the years for creating much of this.

Don't agree with any of this.
(I probably shouldn't continue this discussion in this thread, but it has started here.)

Most people I know or see are fans of most Toronto teams.
Acknowledged that many are bandwagon jumpers though and not die hard fans of any individual sport/team.

I have no idea how the media is to blame for any hostility between fan bases.
Argonaut fans hate Rogers for their overall attitude to the team.
TFC fans originally disliked the idea of sharing "their" stadium with the Argonauts, and it has now grown into a childish tantrum against the Argonauts, the CFL, North American football, born-in-Canada Canadians who don't embrace the immigrants' "Beautiful Game", and maple syrup. (Okay, maybe not the last one.)

How is the media to blame?

Argo57
08-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Don't agree with any of this.
(I probably shouldn't continue this discussion in this thread, but it has started here.)

Most people I know or see are fans of most Toronto teams.
Acknowledged that many are bandwagon jumpers though and not die hard fans of any individual sport/team.

I have no idea how the media is to blame for any hostility between fan bases.
Argonaut fans hate Rogers for their overall attitude to the team.
TFC fans originally disliked the idea of sharing "their" stadium with the Argonauts, and it has now grown into a childish tantrum against the Argonauts, the CFL, North American football, born-in-Canada Canadians who don't embrace the immigrants' "Beautiful Game", and maple syrup. (Okay, maybe not the last one.)

How is the media to blame?

Pretty much agree with all you have said here.
I grew up a fan of all Toronto sports teams, I even remember when the Toronto sports landscape consisted of the Leafs in the winter and Argonauts in the summer/fall.
I am not a fan of TFC simply because I'm not a huge soccer fan in general, I have no malice towards them or their fans but as a Toronto team wish them well.
I also remember the Blizzard playing at the Ex and co-existing with the Argonauts and Blue Jays and not thinking anything of it.
As I've stated before the puzzling aspect to TFC fans is their perceived sense of entitlement in regards to BMO field and the Argonauts but to be fair I think it is a vocal minority of their fanbase that carry on this way.
Most fans on both sides correctly have better things to worry about in their lives than wasting energy on any of the petty sniping that goes on.

Double Dare
08-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Not a another TFC dialogue (head shaking).

Will
08-07-2016, 09:45 AM
You know it was treating each other on the site nicely that this message was intended to convey.

Never said anything about relations between two Toronto franchises.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8